Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Old screen name on the iPad, new name on the MacBook. Crazy really and am at my wits end right now and about to leave for awhile. You’d think they could get this stuff corrected already especially after so many complaints from established members. And getting a new screen name isn’t a satisfactory outcome, more annoying than anything. Kinda gives one the impression that no one cares about fixing this computer software issue. Their must be at least one IT guy at Edmunds that could figure out a solution to this issue, right???

The Sandman/Driving Fool :@ B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    abacomike said:

I don’t know if it’s just cold feet that prevents you from making that car buying decision or something else.  All of us have provided you with our opinions when you have requested our opinion and have vehemently supported your multitude of possible car model options. Tons of photos along with tons of rationale postings have filled our discussion board here.

I will say the cure for my cold feet was the dealer asking for $1000 deposit to hold the RDX I ended up buying. But it stemmed from something that runs counter to the CCB condition... my attachment to the Volvo. I will say in the 2 days between making the deal and actually signing the delivery papers, more than once I had half a mind to try to sell it instead of trading. And I'm still not convinced the RDX will stay more than a couple years... maybe I'll earn my CCB status back?

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Good luck, a lot of furniture is knocked down deliveries from China that are then reassembled here before delivery to your home.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited October 2018
    driver100 said:

abacomike - Still looking? Still salivating? What’s it been - 6 months or more of this car or that car or this engine or stick transmission? This color or that color or this interior or that interior?

I think we need a new topic....CBDA.

Car Buying Dreamers Anonymous........you have to state what car you are hoping to buy in over at least one year from now.

@abacomike ...well put!

@driver100 ......A friend of mine was amazed when I told him I haven’t bought a car in nearly 17 months. That said, I’m always on the lookout. If I am enamored with a car, I’ll do research on pricing, value, etc for about 48 hours. After that, I put the checkbook in the back pocket and I’m a “right now” buyer.

I don’t consider it healthy to lust and agonize over any vehicle. Odds are, whatever car it is you want today, will be gone tomorrow, next week and certainly next month. So why even speculate about buying and making yourself crazy...for a Sentra no less, or the one before that, the Yaris, or the one before that, a Scion?

That said, I do have a wish list of my own....

-‘69 Mustang Shelby GT500 convertible
    -Maserati Ghibli (I know. I’m flirting with the unreliability craziness that comes with those cars, but damn, they are sexy)
    -Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet

Any of those cars would cause me to dip into long term investments, so probably unlikely. But, given my mood matched to availability, you never know!

As it stands, I likely won’t be in the market again until the Acura TLX S-Type comes out.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

....As it stands, I likely won’t be in the market again until the Acura TLX S-Type comes out.

It's possible that the next generation TLX might be introduced as soon as 2020 with a 300+ hp type S.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    benjaminh said:

....As it stands, I likely won’t be in the market again until the Acura TLX S-Type comes out.

It's possible that the next generation TLX might be introduced as soon as 2020 with a 300+ hp type S.

That would make me happy!
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    berri said:

Good luck, a lot of furniture is knocked down deliveries from China that are then reassembled here before delivery to your home.

Our sectional was built to order in Indiana- hence the six week wait.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

driver100 said:

abacomike - Still looking? Still salivating? What’s it been - 6 months or more of this car or that car or this engine or stick transmission? This color or that color or this interior or that interior?

Car Buying Dreamers Anonymous........you have to state what car you are hoping to buy in over at least one year from now.

@abacomike ...well put!

@driver100 ......A friend of mine was amazed when I told him I haven’t bought a car in nearly 17 months. That said, I’m always on the lookout. If I am enamored with a car, I’ll do research on pricing, value, etc for about 48 hours. After that, I put the checkbook in the back pocket and I’m a “right now” buyer.

I don’t consider it healthy to lust and agonize over any vehicle. Odds are, whatever car it is you want today, will be gone tomorrow, next week and certainly next month. So why even speculate about buying and making yourself crazy...for a Sentra no less, or the one before that, the Yaris, or the one before that, a Scion?

-Maserati Ghibli (I know. I’m flirting with the unreliability craziness that comes with those cars, but damn, they are sexy)

Any of those cars would cause me to dip into long term investments, so probably unlikely. But, given my mood matched to availability, you never know!

As it stands, I likely won’t be in the market again until the Acura TLX S-Type comes out.
    Well the Shelby GT500 would be about half the price of the Ghibli, especially if you took an automatic.

Porsche 911 Cabs are a dime a dozen in a 996 so $25K should do it.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited October 2018
    "jmonroe1"
    Don't be so sure about that. While it's a little harder to see on my monitor when I'm in the office using my PC, it's really pretty easy to see on my smart phone when I turn it around. I think you otta return it. :o
    jmonroe

Don't worry snake......only jmonroe1 would waste his life away checking out 1/16 of an inch on a second computer.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited October 2018
    A friend of mine just got a new Ghibli, white on beige. I was surprised how hard the dash and door surfaces were, and no more buttery soft Italian leather seats, and less rich wood. It has a Chrysler-based infotainment system in it, which seemed kind of meh. The growl of the Ferrari engine and driveability were quite nice.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

driver100 said:

@abacomike ...well put!

Well the Shelby GT500 would be about half the price of the Ghibli, especially if you took an automatic.

Thanks....I thought the GT500 would be well into 6 figures. Same for the 911.

I might start doing some lookey-lou.
  • Options
    carnaught said:

A friend of mine just got a new Ghibli, white on beige. I was surprised how hard the dash and door surfaces were, and no more buttery soft Italian leather seats, and less rich wood. It has a Chrysler-based infotainment system in it, which seemed kind of meh. The growl of the Ferrari engine and driveability were quite nice.

Yeh but, how cool is driving something that beautiful and that unique?

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    It looks like it is gritting its teeth.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Saw one in black while in Boston. It did stand out.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I just finished watching the most exciting NFL game of my life.  Miami wins 31 - 28 in OT against Bears!  Unbelievable!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited October 2018
    driver100 said:

carnaught said:

The looks are okay, but similar to the 2003 Quatroporte, except the teeth gritting. Then there’s the Buick-esque portholes.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    abacomike said:

I just finished watching the most exciting NFL game of my life.  Miami wins 31 - 28 in OT against Bears!  Unbelievable!

While not an overtime game, the Steelers 28 to 21win over the Bengals, with a Steelers touchdown with 10 seconds left, wasn't shabby either. They didn't deserve to win but you can't turn your back on luck. They only have columns for wins, losses and ties but not for luck.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    ab348 said:

It also looks like they did a poor job copying the Equss badge too.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    carnaught said:

driver100 said:

carnaught said:

The looks are okay, but similar to the 2003 Quatroporte, except the teeth gritting. Then there’s the Buick-esque portholes.

I thought it was determined we'd call them "vents". Then we agreed not to talk about them at all anymore. Your dues are going up for this violation of the members rules. :@

jmonroe
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited October 2018

driver100 said:

@abacomike ...well put!

--------------------------------------------------------------
    The 67-68 GT500 are worth more. Shelby had little to do with this car as time went on. It was all Ford's production. Values are very cyclical with this car. It's seen some big dips.

You should be able to pick up even a 997 Porsche Cabriolet for $35K--$50K.

Oh, did you mean a new-ish Ghibli, like 2013 on up. Oh, man, I wouldn't do that.

One thing about exotic Italian automakers---they have consistently failed to make a decent sedan for some reason.
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:
    While not an overtime game, the Steelers 28 to 21win over the Bengals, with a Steelers touchdown with 10 seconds left, wasn't shabby either. They didn't deserve to win but you can't turn your back on luck. They only have columns for wins, losses and ties but not for luck. jmonroe
    What made the game even more exciting was that Brock Osweiler Started the game for injured QB Tannehill and did an astounding job - IMHO even better than Tannehill.  The Bears played great offense and were ahead 21 - 7 in the 3rd quarter.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

While not an overtime game, the Steelers 28 to 21win over the Bengals, with a Steelers touchdown with 10 seconds left, wasn't shabby either. They didn't deserve to win but you can't turn your back on luck. They only have columns for wins, losses and ties but not for luck.

jmonroe

What made the game even more exciting was that Brock Osweiler Started the game for injured QB Tannehill and did an astounding job - IMHO even better than Tannehill.  The Bears played great offense and were ahead 21 - 7 in the 3rd quarter.

I wouldn't hang onto Osweiler's coat tales unless you want advice about how to steal money from NFL teams and get away with it. He might be good for winning a game or two but that's all.

jmonroe
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:
    jmonroe1 said:
    While not an overtime game, the Steelers 28 to 21win over the Bengals, with a Steelers touchdown with 10 seconds left, wasn't shabby either. They didn't deserve to win but you can't turn your back on luck. They only have columns for wins, losses and ties but not for luck. jmonroe

I wouldn't hang onto Osweiler's coat tales unless you want advice about how to steal money from NFL teams and get away with it. He might be good for winning a game or two but that's all. jmonroe
    I’ll settle for that!  B)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    aba - when you look at the stats and playing, it was almost like the game should have ended a tie. Hard to believe Miami has had an up and down record this year though. Lots of unexpected college football results this past week too.
  • Options

driver100 said:

@abacomike ...well put!

--------------------------------------------------------------
    The 67-68 GT500 are worth more. Shelby had little to do with this car as time went on. It was all Ford's production. Values are very cyclical with this car. It's seen some big dips.

You should be able to pick up even a 997 Porsche Cabriolet for $35K--$50K.

Oh, did you mean a new-ish Ghibli, like 2013 on up. Oh, man, I wouldn't do that.

One thing about exotic Italian automakers---they have consistently failed to make a decent sedan for some reason.
    Thanks...reason I would look at a ‘69 GT500 is the body style. I know it’s the cruiser of the group, but I really like the body and the interior.

Not actively looking, but if I ran into either a Cabriolet or GT500 that were in decent shape (i.e. not perfect but fairly sorted), I’d be serious about pulling out the checkbook.

I don’t run across many Ghiblis, but when I do, all I can do is stare at them. Knowing how I hate cars that are unreliable, the Ghibli is probably just a pipe dream.
  • Options
  • Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

I wouldn't hang onto Osweiler's coat tales unless you want advice about how to steal money from NFL teams and get away with it. He might be good for winning a game or two but that's all.

jmonroe

Those games would not have been that exciting if your teams had lost !!
  • Options
    houdini2 said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

I wouldn't say that. They just wouldn't have the same sentiment. :'(

jmonroe

• Options
    carnaught said:

Yeh but, how cool is driving something that beautiful and that unique
    jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe
    There is always the critics. Guy who drives the wannabe knock off car comments on the badge looking similar. :(

• Options
    $82000 discounted to $60000....that is quite a discount. I find that I am at a stage in life where no surprise is the best surprise. I prefer more reliability, and a larger dealer network. Maybe if it was a 3rd or 4th car.

• Options
    driver100 said:

carnaught said:

Yeh but, how cool is driving something that beautiful and that unique
    jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe
    There is always the critics. Guy who drives the wannabe knock off car comments on the badge looking similar. :(
    Of course, I resent stuff like that. Nobody should be copying a wannabe. :@

jmonroe

• Options
    I asked about 12 people this question....one was in 40s and the others were 60 or 70s.
    If you won $20 million in the lottery tomorrow what would you do.
    Almost all said they would do very little...not buy a new house, or a second house....or even buy a different house.
    All wanted their life to continue the way it was...keep the same friends.
    Most would give some to charities.
    One would give a large portion to his children, one would not give his children a large some of money - but would consider giving his children a home and possibly a monthly allowance...but, not enough to stop working etc.
    One would give half to charities that aren't high profile...like canes for blind people.
    I think I would donate $1 million to buy a dome for our hometown tennis courts. And, I would see if the city would build a facility for pickleball. I would give my children...except son-in-law a home and create a trust fund to give a monthly amount...but not enough to stop working. Increase greatly at age 60.
    A portion would go to relatives and friends, and a portion to charity. I would want to hold on to about $5 million.

Now I will go to sleep and dream about my big win :D

• Options
    houdini2 said:
    jmonroe1 said:

I wouldn't hang onto Osweiler's coat tales unless you want advice about how to steal money from NFL teams and get away with it. He might be good for winning a game or two but that's all. jmonroe
    Of course the game would have been just as exciting if Miami lost!  The fumbles and interceptions and passes and rushing gains were mesmerizing to me - both Chicago and Miami.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I would have to think about all those little details. But I do know I would quit my current job, and but 2 new cars for us. And move to a new house, since the budget would finally support what we actually want!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    driver100 said:

I asked about 12 people this question....one was in 40s and the others were 60 or 70s.
    Almost all said they would do very little...not buy a new house, or a second house....or even buy a different house.
    One would give a large portion to his children, one would not give his children a large some of money - but would consider giving his children a home and possibly a monthly allowance...but, not enough to stop working etc.
    One would give half to charities that aren't high profile...like canes for blind people.
    I think I would donate $1 million to buy a dome for our hometown tennis courts. And, I would see if the city would build a facility for pickleball. I would give my children...except son-in-law a home and create a trust fund to give a monthly amount...but not enough to stop working. Increase greatly at age 60.
    A portion would go to relatives and friends, and a portion to charity. I would want to hold on to about $5 million.

Hey, what about your Edmunds poster buddies? :o

jmonroe
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    He just did! I think he did at least, so I answered.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:

He just did! I think he did at least, so I answered.

Talk about reading between the lines.

jmonroe
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    abacomike said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

For my son the Bengals fan, a tough loss. Then again all Bengals fans are gluttons for punishment.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Winning the lottery?

-Probably make certain my son and my sisters would be comfortable. I’d probably downsize (gonna do that anyway) and not go for something bigger and with more “stuff” than I already have.

-Donate to the American Heart Association (Father died of heart disease), and the Bone Cancer Trust (which is what killed my Mother). The rest? Find some deserving local charities.

Oh yeah....one last thing.....I’d buy a NEW 911 Carrera S Cabriolet.
  • Options
    suydam said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

For my son the Bengals fan, a tough loss. Then again all Bengals fans are gluttons for punishment.

Bengals are still in 1st place.

Two things struck me.....I think the Bengals only blitzed once in the last minute and a half. Dalton targeted a 4th string WR 4 times for 1st downs....perfect throws. Core caught none of them.

Bengals will be fine. They’re a very good team. No divas on the team. Their heads are on straight.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    edited October 2018
    I'd keep at least half to just sit in the bank so I could live off the interest. Pay off all current debt. I'm not one to donate to large organized charities. Too much waste. Many many friends and family would benefit in addition to local charitable groups, mostly animal shelters and group homes.

No way I'm continuing to work. Hobbies where maybe I make some money, yes, but not "work." And we'd travel A LOT!

As for cars, I'd have the money to try to keep up with breld.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Too much Winning in Boston...I can't stand it anymore. The Patriots 43 - 40 thrilling win over Chiefs and the Red Sox 7 - 5 win over the Astros. Wow! what glorious day in Beantown. 
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    jmonroe1 said:
    I asked about 12 people this question....one was in 40s and the others were 60 or 70s. If you won $20 million in the lottery tomorrow what would you do. Almost all said they would do very little...not buy a new house, or a second house....or even buy a different house. All wanted their life to continue the way it was...keep the same friends. Most would give some to charities. One would give a large portion to his children, one would not give his children a large some of money - but would consider giving his children a home and possibly a monthly allowance...but, not enough to stop working etc. One would give half to charities that aren't high profile...like canes for blind people. I think I would donate $1 million to buy a dome for our hometown tennis courts. And, I would see if the city would build a facility for pickleball. I would give my children...except son-in-law a home and create a trust fund to give a monthly amount...but not enough to stop working. Increase greatly at age 60. A portion would go to relatives and friends, and a portion to charity. I would want to hold on to about $5 million. Now I will go to sleep and dream about my big win :D
    Hey, what about your Edmunds poster buddies? :o jmonroe
    I'd give it all to a local Catholic college.
  • Options
    bwia said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

I'd give it all to a local Catholic college.

I guess you didn't get the email that I've now been recognized as a local Catholic college. :D

jmonroe
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    jmonroe1 said:

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

carnaught said:

I thought it was determined we'd call them "vents". Then we agreed not to talk about them at all anymore. Your dues are going up for this violation of the members rules. :@

jmonroe
    They're vents for helping cool the brakes.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Oh yeh, get iluv a NISMO so we don't have to hear about it any more. :(

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    Not quite RIP Sears yet, but it's likely it will share fate of Toys 'R Us and Radio Shack. Management is equally inept and problems equally big. I just can't see how people would buy anything there worth more than 50 bucks, which means there is no path to recovery even after closing 150 stores. It's unlikely creditors will let them go for much longer past the Xmas, if at all.

Sad, but also part of life and healthy economy. Weak players, those who refuse to recognize new trends and can't adjust, have to go away. The employees' suffering is an unfortunate part of the necessary process.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    You guys would miss me if I were to go.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    https://youtu.be/tQOJY4NXYzM

I like the look in the old guy's eyes when the guy he's shooting pool for money against scratches on the eight ball!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    I checked online around here and they seem to be going for around 5 to 6 grand off of MSRP.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D