Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members

Comments

• dsackmandsackman Member Posts: 145
    Thank you for what you do.

It is exceptionally refreshing for organizations to have an interest in their clients that goes further than merely having their names in a CRM database. That personal touch is far better than getting a computer generated letter.

No product is perfect, but your approach goes a long way to keep people happy with their purchases.

Daniel
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Hey all,

what do you think of the new Ford Mondeo? It looks very tasty to me! Too bad it won't make it to North America though, since it would compete with the Taurus. Available HID Xenon headlamps, and full length taillamps for the wagon (a la V70).

Visit www.wieck.com for pictures (do a search for Mondeo).

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    The Mondeo is a contour. (A much better one, admittedly.)

I found a lot of pictures of the new Mondeo wagon and sedan, but no articles. (First time to that site, so if that's normal... um, oops.)

That surely is a new platform carrying on that old name.

-Colin
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    ...AND, you haven't mentioned the "outbacked" Focus which is on tap. That will be based on the Euro 5-door Focus AWD.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Mondeo looks OK. Kind of sedate compared to the Ka, Cougar, and Focus.

It's tidy size is better suited for European roads, and the handling would be watered down for US buyers anyway, so no big loss.

The sedan won't come here, but they're supposed to build a car-based SUV off that platform for the US.

Does Ford need yet another SUV? With all their Escape recalls and Explorer tire problems, seems like they should focus on fixing the current ones.

-juice
    Yeah, but they've already announced 7 recalls for that 2005 Out-of-Focus! :o)

-juice
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    re: Ford Mondeo pix

I generally find Euro styling more conservative and probably bland to American taste -- but I personally like it more.

I remember when I bought my Loyale in 1992, cars were getting egg-shaped all around, and Loyale was refreshingly sharp-edged. I recall the dealer was advertising Loyales as "European Design"...
    Dan, sorry I forgot to reply right away. No, I bought the my Forester S+ at Livermore Honda-Subaru. I talked to Carlsen folks, but Livermore offered the same model/options for $200 less.

They still did not deliver armrest extension, though (car was ordered with it in early May!), so at this moment I am not recommending them. Just yesterday I wrote a very angry letter to their Subaru sales manager (after many phone calls and personal visits that resulted in nothing but broken promises). If they fail to deliver armrest extension any time soon, I guess I'll buy one from Darlene and file a complaint with SOA against Livermore dealer. Needless to say, if they don't resolve the armrest extension issue to my satisfaction, next Soob in the family will NOT come their lot.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    Subaru should offer a maintenance database accessible over the web where owners can enter their fill ups and repairs. This data should be backed up, kept for life, and can be used by Subaru to keep track of vehicles and ownership. The system should be able to provide feedback on current gas mileage and last 3 fill-ups like Chris' Car Recorder. It should send maintenance reminders based on last maintenance work done compared to last odometer entry. The info would be valuable to Subaru and to users because they would not have to maintain their own data. It could be secured by basic authentication. Subaru would be able to use e-mail information to the owners in the event of a recall, promotions, or product announcement. They should offer referral incentives, etc. They could also get revenue from advertising and possibly move this newsgroup from Townhall to Subaru. Just a suggestion!
  • miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    Edmunds Data Services (EDS) -- not a good name. These guys might quibble over it. You might remember this other EDS; it was founded by Texas billionaire Ross Perot. Thanks for the links, Drew.

..Mike

bg, that already exists-- at least most of the functionality you're talking about. the annoying thing is that when you first sign up it sends you all the prior maintenance notices that are "past due".

I've also heard others complain that very little, if any service done by their dealership is listed in their VIN's maintenance history.

Mine was in to fix a squeak in the sunroof and it's in there. I also had the first 3 oil changes free and they are not in there. Oh well.

-Colin
    Her "personal" page is now up and running. Check it out here.

Love that yellow!

-juice
    PS Yes, her husband's name is...do I have to even say it?
    re: XT6 with 174k trouble-free miles

Yeah right! Did hers not come with the air ride suspension or has she been the one owner who hasn't replaced it at least once? ;)

Nice page, juice.

-Colin
    Nice rims, Darlene!
    Good morning, Crew! Guess y'all are out enjoying this lovely morning. Just thought I'd check in before heading to work. Have a nice Saturday; Anyone tinkering out there today?
    Good morning, Lucien. I'll be bathing the GT, Civic if I have time. Did you get in touch w/Jeff re: shirts? He posted yesterday on i Club in the Mid-Atlantic forum.

..Mike

• pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    Ugghhhhh! For some reason my home PC lost my Subaru Crew log in. I had to re-register 'cause I cannot remember my Subaru Crew Log In and it's in the office.

Thanks for your nice words, all!

RE: Subaru Owners Website

I'm forwarding your information to our E-Business Group. They are the folks that are responsible for my being here (they thought it would be a good idea). Since the Subaru Owners website is new and a work in progress, I'm sure that they will appreciate your feedback and look into everything.

From what I understand, you can enter information in yourself related to maintenance. The information that we are loading into the site is purely based on dealer's claim submission. So, if they do not submit a claim to us, it won't show. The only way a dealer can enter things like your maintenance (at least for now) may require that they have access to your PIN and that wouldn't necessarily be a good idea (except - I think Darlene would be cool with it!!). I'll let them know what you think and see if they can come up with something for the future.

I don't have the H-6 this weekend (sniff, sniff - I must share). So, I'm racing around to football games in my regular old GT 5 Speed.

I'll be back this evening. Yesterday, lawyer's meetings (with trying to get our home rebuild - township permit issues) and football. Today, Mom and Wife stuff (my husband is getting jealous of my time on the computer, so I guess I should spend some time with him) and more football.

Still waiting for answers on the VDC and spare, but a lot of us SOA folks were on outside appointments. Getting ready for Subaru Academy and some real work fun. Chat with you all tonight!

Oh - and I have a dog myself. Can't have two because she couldn't stand sharing the attention!!
    my husband is getting jealous of my time on the computer, so I guess I should spend some time with him

LOL, it's the exact opposite in my household. Best wishes with the house rebuilding; I'm sure it's not fun. I don't know how you make time to deal with that, work a full-time job, contribute to this forum, AND be a loving wife and mom! Oh that's right, you're a woman -- W O M A N ! :)

..Mike

..Mike

Yea, I am sure Mike and I both have gotten the ol' "alright honey, I'm going to bed. Turn out the light when you log off..." "yea yea, right behind ya, babe." Or something like that.

I emailed him, Mike, but haven't gotten a response. Bathing the car should happen Tuesday. A good coat of wax too, since the window on good weather for winter prep is closing. Also looking at the calendar for a good day to return to Cherry Hill. Dave and Andy want me to come up so they can machine my shifter into a short throw piece while I wait. Then I could go see Patti. :)

Ugh. I hate working Saturdays.
    *sound of fingers drumming on counter top, register rings in backround*

*bored whistling, whistler greets customer.*
  • texsubarutexsubaru Member Posts: 242
    Well, Lucien, they certainly do sell the Forester S with heated seats here in Central Texas, but I strongly suspect the Premium package sunroof is a bigger draw for the S here than the heated seats, chiropractic protection though they may be. As I've said before, the market here would really be more for power-ventilated seats (which I understand is actually an option in some Saabs, though I have yet to see one with 'em).
    The active seat ventilation system is also available on the MB S-class and CL-class flagships, as well as the E-class. It's actually even better than the Saab's (2 additional fans, much quieter, and available with even the rear seats). This system is part of the CDN$1720 (per pair of seats) Comfort seat option. You can read more about the active ventilation here.

The Comfort seats have pneumatic multiple zone lumbar supports, as well as a massaging function!! I've tried it several times, and it really does work well, especially on long drives. FYI, even the non-Comfort seats are something like 14 way adjustable! You really do get what you pay for.

Drew/aling
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    I presume, given that the Merc is so grandly fitted with airflow seats that there is a reverse function to suck, so you don't have to break wind for yourself?

Cheers

Graham
    ROTFLMAO Graham!

On a test drive last year of a Saab 9-5 wagon (with the entire family, children in car seats -- it was quite a sight), I experienced the noisiness that Drew mentions of the ventilated leather seats. Nice feature, especially for leather, but noisy (on the Saab).

..Mike

..Mike

PFFFFFFFFFWah wah wah wah !

still, ventilated seats would be nifty.....
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    As usual, a unique perspective from "down under" -- in every possible meaning of that term.

Bob
    ba-dum!

..Mike

LOL, but the ventilated seats do just that, SUCK!! They are supposed to draw air/moisture away from your body so that you don't end up with a sweaty back even with the A/C on. I think that many of us have experienced that here with leather seats (though I find that the perforations eliminate that to a large extent). I don't think that there's a fan speed high enough to do what you proposed though :-).

Drew/aling
    BTW, the seat ventilation feature can be activated via the remote keyfob, and all of the windows/moonroof can be fully retracted as well. So, you can actually vent the entire car several seconds before you actually reach it! Pretty kewl!

FYI, the Lincoln Navigator has a cooled seat option (literally the opposite of heated seats). There is apparently a ceramic (I think) element fitted underneath the seat surface, and this allows it to be cooled or heated up very rapidly. I haven't tried it personally, but I've heard and read that it works well.

Drew/aling
  • dsackmandsackman Member Posts: 145
    Thank you for your persistence in trying to find out the possible availability of the Outback Sedan VDC and also the situation with the spare wheel.
    Hope you get your house sorted out soon.

Daniel
    Loosh: can they really "machine" the original shift lever? I can see how they'd make it shorter, but what about making the bottom part longer for more leverage? Do they cut and re-weld it?

I have an idea - you should start your own e-business delivering wine! Preferably in the snow belt! Just imagine:

"Heavens, Biff, we're all out of the '97 Beringer Chardonnay, what now?".

"Do not fret, Buffy, I'll just call 1-800-OUT-BACK and have it delivered!"

"But there's 12 inches of snow on the ground..."

"Exactly. Lucien offers a 10% discount if there's snow!"

Hmm, my Subaru came with massaging seats, too. Tati constantly kicks the back of my seat!

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The Escape/Tribute is the replacement for the contour/mystic. It's basically the same platform, but they can raise the price cause it's an "suv"

Still the same FORD crapola underneath...

-mike
    Gosh, that is just SO reassuring! The Escape is such a high quality vehicle! Now, I mean. Well, those built after 9/2...that is until the next recall!

Let's start a pool. What'll fall off next? I say the sliding bike racks, anybody else?

paisan: while it does replace the Contour in the lineup, they actually use a 626 chassis. The powertrain is all Ford, though (Duratec 3.0l V6 from the Taurus, CD4E problematic tranny).

Ford wants to build a sport wagon for the US off the new Mondeo (Contour) platform, though it will be smaller.

Saw a Tribute up close, and the styling works. Hate those high back bucket seats, though. Looks very big inside, I'll give them that.

The tires are very high profile, I can't see how they can market this as an SUV raised by sports cars, especially when it's primarily FWD and the Miata is RWD.

I gotta go drive one and do a review like I did with the XC.

-juice
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I thought that was a reference to a "planned useful life" of a vehicle once it is in the consumer's hands. Seems like Ford is skipping a step .. the consumer step.

- "Let's start a pool. What'll fall off next?"

My money is on something involving FLAMES!

- hutch
    Hey Loosh,

I actually like Juice's idea. Need delivery boys?

- hutch
    Sorry guys. Thanks to the lawmakers in MD and elsewhere, it is a FELONY CRIME to deliver wine outside of the state. It is also a crime for me to deliver outside of Baltimore, subject to a fine and loss of liquor license. This is because of legislation lobbied for by the evil wholesalers, in league with the reverse vampires and the Rand Corporation.

If you want to find out more, try www.freethegrapes.org

Juice-
    Yes you are right, there is some cutting and welding involved. Rallispec has a TIG welder on site, allegedly. Plus I get to have another try at infiltrating SOA. :)
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Why do you think it's named the "Escape"?

Joking aside: I hope they do a good job of it. Lord knows there's no real competition for the Sube from Toyota or Honda yet, and a good competitor will get Subaru to think about making their product even better!

Memo to Ford: it helps if they run.

Memo to Mazda: are you sure it helps to be sharing with Ford?

I was listening to a fella argue over the weekend that he doesn't like the Forester because it's "ugly." Okay.

He drives a Jeep.

Hello?

Since when is "beautiful SUV" not an oxymoron? Like "slinky muu-muu." It's a 2-box design folks & there's not a lot can be done with it. Whatever good things you can say about any SUV or derivative, styling probably won't be at the top ... but that's not really why people buy them, I think.

Okay. Back to work.

Take care.
    Joe W>
    har har *snurk* Slinky muu muu...
    I saw some shots of the new hyundai, it actually looks to be quite luxuious. It's going to try to compete with the lincoln LS. If it's $23K that's roughly 1/2 the price of the LS.... Just thought I'd share.

-mike
    ??? The Lincoln LS retails for $32k-36k. 23*2=46

-Colin
    I sat in the new Hyundai a few months ago at an autoshow. While I was impressed with how similar the car looked to the previous generation Infiniti I30 inside and outside, if one looked closely, the signs of cost cutting were evident. The faux wood, or plood on the dash was not very attractive. Much less so than Subaru's or Nissan's. I'd hardly think that this car could challenge the Lincoln LS.

My 2 cents Canadian!
    Drew/aling
    To move upmarket, you have to offer something the competition doesn't. Class leading power, AWD or at least traction/stability control, gorgeous styling, superior quality, and high tech gizmos. What does the XG300 offer? Just size.

It'll end up competing with the Accord and Camry V6s, probably with a $3000 rebate within a year.

Hutch: skip-a-step, I love it! Something involving flames. OK, you're on. Loser buys the first round of beers next time we meet.

Anyone else is welcome to join the bet, but hurry - I'm sure they'll be announcing the next recall soon! ;)

Can you imagine the press release? "Ford announces the new Escape from Alcatraz model! In conjunction with the famous prison, several models had door locks recalled that we don't have time to fix, 'cause we're too busy with other recalls! So instead we decided to slap on some Alcatraz logos and raise prices! Line up now!"

Loosh: let me know when you're heading up there.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I almost lose it every time I see that Tribute commercial where they claim it's derived from sports cars. C'mon.....who are they kidding....it's derived from a POS Ford.

-Frank P.
    it's not my joke, but I'm as happy re-telling someone's else Halloween jokes:

>the month of October has got to be
    >the Aztec's big chance to increase sales.
    >With inventory aging
    >the looks are frightful
    >and the re-sale value has to be scary
    The hyundai has HIDs and 5 speed manumatic I believe... And a great warranty, and for $20k seems like a decent car. I think they are underrated personally. My uncle's sonata w/ 2l 4banger is decent transportation, and my buddy's $6K Hyndai Excel was outstanding for the $.

Just my .02 cents

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The official car of the Halloween! The only
    problem is you're likely to "really scare" all the
    little kids.

Park it in the driveway, turn on the headlights,
    and you have an Aztek-O-Lantern.

Bob
  • snopeoplsnopeopl Member Posts: 9
    After much research, I think I've finally narrowed it down to the Forester and the OB Wagon, but am having trouble deciding further. Cost is not much of a deciding factor because I've accounted for it in the comparison. Do any of you experienced Subaru owner/experts have any further input?
    Thanks.
    HIDs and an extra ratio are cool, but VW will offer them on its Passat, too. The warranty is half of the story - they need reliable, durable vehicles, yet they still fight Kia and Suzuki for last place in JD Power studies.

I like an underdog. I just think the XG300 is going in the wrong direction. They're moving into a price class with some heavy hitters, without anything substantial to distinguish themselves (Subaru has AWD).

The Santa Fe should get more attention, like those HID lights, more power, a 5 speed auto and a 6 speed manual. Spend the money on the model that's likely to get the sales, I think. People can overlook image if it's a hot, expanding niche.

Subaru does this and Outback sales keep improving.

The sedan market is shrinking and the popular models are dominant, so you have to approach from a niche perspective. I don't think Hyundai can beat Honda/Toyota at their own game.

The new Sonatas were a big improvement, but I still noticed the leather didn't quite match the vinyl, some sharp edges in the plastic trim, and not quite perfect alignment of some panels. OK, it was a display car at the DC auto show, so reserve final judgement until you drive one.

Keep the steady flow of Aztec/Escape humor flowing, folks. It gets me through the day.

Gabrielle: pick the Forester if you have a small family (0-2 kids). It's lighter, so it's quicker and more agile. I found it more fun for this reason. It's a better city car, with a short wheelbase and plenty of wheel travel for those pot holes.

With 2 kids or more, the Outback's room will come in handy. It's a better tourer for long highway drives and road trips, 'cause it's quieter and has a longer wheelbase.

I have a Forester, but my cousin and my dad have Outbacks, and we're all very satisfied with them. Let how you'll use it determine for you.

Heck, flip a coin!

-juice

PS Yes, drive both, but don't take Hutch with you unless you're wearing Depends!
    You ended up with two good vehicles. Different, but good. The OB is a better choice if you need people room. The back seat is larger and more comfortable. Handling isn't quite as agile as the Forester. Both use the same 2.5L 165 hp engine (unless you're looking at the h-6 .. only available in the OB so far) and since the Forester has a weight advantage .. it is a little quicker. The Forester also has a little more ground clearance .. but in reality, that's probably not an issue.
    My advise, is to drive both. Not just a spin around the parking lot, really drive them. See if the dealer will let you take each overnight. Get to know each one. They feel different (IMO). Which is better ... well that's pretty subjective. If all else fails ... flip a coin .. either way you're gonna get a well made car that you will be happy with. I get a kick out of driving my Forester that I haven't experienced since my 84 RX-7 GSL-SE.
    -hutch
This discussion has been closed.