Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,875

qbrozen said:

VIN works. Accident on autocheck.

I’d hit it about $5k, but you could get lucky. With such low miles, you should get bids from carvana and vroom.

Carfax shows "damage reported" but doesn't list it as an accident. It just says "damage to front" with a caveat that not all damage is an accident.
    I'm curious what damage isn't from an "accident?" Does that include purposefully driving it into a brick wall? How about deliberately "jumping" it on a ramp?
    Act of god like a Tree falling on it?
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
    steine13 said:

I gotta ask my dad what he pays in car insurance... it's probably $30 to 40/month after all this time.

To answer your question, YEAH I would... because it goes down after 6 months of accident-free driving.. and down... and down. She would have been adjusted downward four times already and be paying 0.8 x the standard rate by now, after starting at 2.3 x the standard rate.

The other factor in the system -- and that is kinda dumb but kinda effective -- is the rate is indexed to horsepower. That has nothing to do with risk but keeps kids in smaller, slower cars, which is not a bad idea.

I'm not saying we should adopt that model..there are other problems with it... I'm saying we should improve OUR model. And we should get uninsured drivers off the road. In reality, the problem is ignored, but if an individual is caught driving without insurance, it can easily send them into a downwards spiral of fines and debt from which they can not extricate themselves. This serves nobody well. A friend's wife works at the Lansing court, she has some horrible stories.

An old friend of mine got stupid and simply forgot to pay his car insurance. He just wasn't taking care of his mail -- this is in the 80s. When his insurance lapsed, the police came and unbolted his license plates. No more driving until he fixed it. Seems like a pretty simple solution, but in 2019, we can't figure this out in the great state of MI, which has rates to rival New Jersey.

This started with a question about "scamming" Geico. I'm saying it's pretty clear car insurance has bigger problems than andres3 fibbing about a voided ticket.
    I'm buying insurance, not consenting to a colonoscopy.

I just want to reiterate that no insurance company but State Farm (for the purposes of a quote) asked me the dumb question about "voided tickets." Geico doesn't ask that silly of a question because they probably know silly questions will get silly answers.

My current (and previous) insurance has been with Geico. I renewed. I've been with them for like 7 years now.

I've repeated this before, but one of my friends was a state legislator who served on an insurance subcommittee. He once asked some insurance officials for data that showed that 1-2 speeding tickets increased an insurer's loss exposure; he never received it.

To be fair... some insurance companies are starting to look at citations as almost a non-factor in rating you. Almost.

Also, as I learned, a not-at-fault accident from January 2014 might not hurt you, but it will if you get blamed for an accident in 2018, now you have 2 accidents, and the rates have an exponential algorithm it seems. It seems many application questions now ask going back 5 years (used to be 3 years by State law). Those insurance lobbies must be hard at work and successful!

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,625
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

oh, they can deny a claim. Just consider it insurance fraud (lying on the application) and the policy is invalid.

They'd have to prove you lied, and then they'd have to prove the lie substantially altered your insurance risk in a lawsuit though? Could get you into legal entanglements for sure though; won't deny that.

There are worse things you could do with your time than battle Insurance companies in Court though. I'm 1 for 1 in the Courts against them myself.
    my guess is, once they denied the claim, you would have to prove you did not lie (commit fraud), not the other way around.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

algorr
    stickguy said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

oh, they can deny a claim. Just consider it insurance fraud (lying on the application) and the policy is invalid.

They'd have to prove you lied, and then they'd have to prove the lie substantially altered your insurance risk in a lawsuit though? Could get you into legal entanglements for sure though; won't deny that.

There are worse things you could do with your time than battle Insurance companies in Court though. I'm 1 for 1 in the Courts against them myself.
    my guess is, once they denied the claim, you would have to prove you did not lie (commit fraud), not the other way around.
    I suppose, though once they deny the claim, the gloves come off anyway.

Anyways, the point of my post is that they don't have a record and you can't remember, it really doesn't seem reasonable a claim would ever be denied for that reason on a frivolous question. Though as has been pointed out, it wouldn't be the first time an Insurance company acted unreasonably.

Just the mere act of asking the question is unreasonable.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

I’d hit it about $5k, but you could get lucky. With such low miles, you should get bids from carvana and vroom.

Carfax shows "damage reported" but doesn't list it as an accident. It just says "damage to front" with a caveat that not all damage is an accident.
    I'm curious what damage isn't from an "accident?" Does that include purposefully driving it into a brick wall? How about deliberately "jumping" it on a ramp?
    Act of god like a Tree falling on it?
    Good question----maybe something like hail damage, or road hazard---these are not "accidents" as in willful acts committed by the driver. At least that's my interpretation of the different between damage and accident.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 123,000
    edited January 14
    The insurance company doesn't have to do any of that. They can deny the claim, then you have to "prove" it.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

The insurance company doesn't have to do any of that. They can deny the claim, then you have to "prove" it.

Any insurance company can do that at any time for any reason. I won't lose sleep over it.
  • fushigifushigi Chicago suburbsPosts: 1,459

qbrozen said:

FYI Carmax offered $7K this evening and we explicitly mentioned it was in an accident (they ask).

The dealer can get an AWD Kona Ultimate (highest trim) in her preferred colors, etc. We were after the Limited (2nd highest). Don't really need the Ultimate's added features but aren't averse to them. Will see how low they'll go on it to try & close the deal.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,816
    $7k? Take the money and run like a bandit!

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,864
    Like the new Kona from Hyundai, a lot but just wish it's mpg's were better. They're about the same as the Nissan Kicks I think and betting most folks will cross shop the two. I know I will when my kid decides to get a new vehicle. The perfect size for us both. I'd go with the top level model since my next vehicle will be my retirement gift to me.

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

How about the Niro for better mpgs?

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,245

Like the new Kona from Hyundai, a lot but just wish it's mpg's were better. They're about the same as the Nissan Kicks I think and betting most folks will cross shop the two. I know I will when my kid decides to get a new vehicle. The perfect size for us both. I'd go with the top level model since my next vehicle will be my retirement gift to me.

Sandy,

I'm saying this as your friend. Retirement gift & Hyundai Kona shouldn't be used in the same same post.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

• fushigifushigi Chicago suburbsPosts: 1,459
    The Kona is actually very nice .. within limits. The wheelbase is somewhat short so the ride can be a little bouncy on uneven roads. And IMO there aren't nearly enough soft-touch surfaces throughout the cabin for a vehicle that, loaded, approaches $30K sticker. They also really ought to offer a tan interior.

That said, the combination of the 1.6T + AWD equals a lot of grunt off the line (C&D says 0-60 in 6.6). Seats are comfortable. There are a lot of nice touches like the screen between speedo & tach showing changes in intermittent wiper settings for a few seconds and other things which lets you avoid fumbling to look at knobs in a dark cabin. And it has all of the modern safety aids like lane departure assist, emergency braking, etc. (Top Safety Pick +).

..and my wife is picking hers up this afternoon. After CarMax offered $7K for her Elantra, the Hyundai dealer offered $7500, which is effectively more like $8K as in Illinois the trade is applied before the sale price, reducing state sales tax by over $500. Also got TMV pricing, $1250 in rebates, and rejected the mop & glo/other add-ons. She'd have taken delivery last night but they had to get from another dealer 30+ miles away & still needed to do the prep. Did we get The Best Deal? I'm sure not. But it's acceptable to me & my wife is happy and that matters way more than a few extra $.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Sounds to me like you did great. Really is a nice car too, and I can confirm that the power train is quite zippy, and I got much better MPG that the sticker listed.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,245
    fushigi said:

The Kona is actually very nice .. within limits. The wheelbase is somewhat short so the ride can be a little bouncy on uneven roads. And IMO there aren't nearly enough soft-touch surfaces throughout the cabin for a vehicle that, loaded, approaches $30K sticker. They also really ought to offer a tan interior.

That said, the combination of the 1.6T + AWD equals a lot of grunt off the line (C&D says 0-60 in 6.6). Seats are comfortable. There are a lot of nice touches like the screen between speedo & tach showing changes in intermittent wiper settings for a few seconds and other things which lets you avoid fumbling to look at knobs in a dark cabin. And it has all of the modern safety aids like lane departure assist, emergency braking, etc. (Top Safety Pick +).

..and my wife is picking hers up this afternoon. After CarMax offered $7K for her Elantra, the Hyundai dealer offered $7500, which is effectively more like $8K as in Illinois the trade is applied before the sale price, reducing state sales tax by over $500. Also got TMV pricing, $1250 in rebates, and rejected the mop & glo/other add-ons. She'd have taken delivery last night but they had to get from another dealer 30+ miles away & still needed to do the prep. Did we get The Best Deal? I'm sure not. But it's acceptable to me & my wife is happy and that matters way more than a few extra $.

Please don't take my message to Sandy as an insult to the Kona. They are nice, offer a lot of features for the dollar, and as you said; are reasonably quick. Congrats on the PUNCH! Be sure to check back in to register it with CCBA.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Maybe he'd like the Kona EV when it comes out?
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,545
    I was just checking out the Kona. Nice little Ute, with an impressive list of features. HUD in an under 30K vehicle? Not bad.

I didn't look up the sizing, but what is it comparable to? Buick Encore?

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

Little bigger than a golf. Maybe a Mazda CX3? Nice useful size in person.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,923
    Looks a lot like the size of a Crosstrek, so probably in that compact CUV territory.
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • fronttwelvfronttwelv 43004Posts: 6
    edited January 19

Color?
    Location?
    Tire/brake wear percentage?

Black Sapphire Metallic
    new tires and brakes (brakes done a week ago, tires about 10k miles on them, factory run flats)
    Color? Location? Tire/brake wear percentage?
    Black Sapphire Metallic new tires and brakes (brakes done a week ago, tires about 10k miles on them, factory run flats) Location: 43004
    Hmmm...something has gone amiss. I don’t know what vehicle this is and don’t see a previous post.

qbrozen said:

Color?
    Location?
    Tire/brake wear percentage?

Black Sapphire Metallic
    new tires and brakes (brakes done a week ago, tires about 10k miles on them, factory run flats)

Hmmm...something has gone amiss. I don’t know what vehicle this is and don’t see a previous post.

LOL.. from October:
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/5580042/#Comment_5580042

Edmunds Moderator

Oh good grief. Well I would imagine the miles have gone up by now, sooo....

qbrozen said:

Oh good grief. Well I would imagine the miles have gone up by now, sooo....

From other recent posts, I think he is back in the market

Edmunds Moderator

wonder how much it went down in 3 months?

• clm8clm8 Posts: 37
    I'm looking for a trade in value for the following:

2006 BMW 325 Convertible
    White, gray leather, navy blue top
    Leather, auto, power heated seats
    Car Fax shows light damage to rear, rear bumper repainted, front bumper replaced
    No scratches, dents or rust, inside very good no stains or tears
    Tires 5,000 miles
    78,000 miles, no known mechanical issues

Thank you
  • clm8clm8 Posts: 37
    Sorry, left out location, Indianapolis
    $2k-$2500.

you definitely do NOT want to trade this in. Sell it yourself. I'm sure you could be quite bold and ask $6995 for it. You'd likely get AT LEAST $5500 for it.

I agree... those are low, low miles for a 2006 model.
    Someone will snap it up.

Edmunds Moderator