Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,593
    Well, the CVT doesn’t really bother us. For some reason neither of us are crazy about the X1. It’s a nice little car. Good power, handles well and good use of space, but its just...ok. We both find it noisy but that could be remedied by new tires which at 23k on the OEM Pirellis is probably coming by the end of the year.

My wife prefers a bigger car, so she’s a fan of the Outback. With the 3.6 its got plenty of power and actually handles really well. For the money, they come well equipped in either Limited or Touring trim.

I’ll probably end up with the X1 again at some point. That will probably just hasten its departure! Since I don’t commute as often I’d love to find a used Wrangler but the resale is just insane on those.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red over Black
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,188
    Regarding the X1, I have to say that the stock Pirellis are absolute hot garbage. Even my wife commented this morning that the car rides night and day better with the Goodyear Eagles. If she notices, it is a huge difference.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 123,000
    I tried to talk my wife into an X1, instead of being stuck on the X3. But, she couldn't get the old X1 out of her head. Said she didn't want something that looked like a hatchback.

So... she has an X3. :(

But, after having an X1 as a loaner, last month.. I have to say the X3 is a nicer vehicle, all the way around.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Regarding the X1, I have to say that the stock Pirellis are absolute hot garbage. Even my wife commented this morning that the car rides night and day better with the Goodyear Eagles. If she notices, it is a huge difference.

158% agree on that. The Subaru with its OEM Falkens is night and day better

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,625
    I like the X3 way more than the X1. Though I never drove the current generation, just sat in it. The wife would like it a lot better too. I only drove the X1. She wasn't there for that.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

The X3 is nice, haven’t driven the current gen though. I think what we have determined is that for the money, there are better values out there other than the X1.

Depends on what kind of money you're talking. A former loaner (like mine) in the upper 200s - mid 300s with driveoffs and MSD is still a pretty good value for a compact SUV.

For someone who wants to get into the brand but needs a bit more space, it fits the bill.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,702
    28ff, she’s comparing very worn Pirellis to almost new Goodyears, though. 
    The Pirellis were garbage from day one. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have pulled them off and put on a decent of Michelin all seasons and put the RFTs in the garage for lease end.
    Funny... we just replaced our Goodyear runflats with Pirelli.

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

My condolences.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,753
    Car browsing outside my desired price range.

This might be the most perfectly spec'd E on a local lot, of course it has to be a wagon:

That color:

I do like the blue/gray on that G.

the front end of that E class reminds me of a Buick.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,702

kyfdx said:

My condolences.
    The Pirelli P4 Four Seasons I put on my Altima were outstanding. I think those are the only Pirellis I've had.
    Yup. Those are good. The tires we had were Pirelli P7 Cinturato runflats. 
    I had P4s on my Mazda 626 back in the Mid-90s. Outstanding on ice. I think they were P4s.

Yup. Those are good. The tires we had were Pirelli P7 Cinturato runflats. 

That's what we bought.

Drove them on a six hour round-trip this weekend.

They track better than the Goodyears, which seemed to wander a bit. They are a little rougher over road imperfections.

No experience with wet or snow conditions, yet. They don't get great reviews.

Like many OEM tires, the Goodyears were too expensive to buy as replacements. The alternative was Michelins, which were a three day wait. My tire dealer was able to get the Pirellis the same day. (at $300 less for the set).

These are 245/45-19.

Edmunds Moderator

• fushigifushigi Chicago suburbsPosts: 1,459

My feelings there are a bit different (which probably makes no sense) - when someone is learning to drive, they need to learn how a car feels without a bunch of systems interfering or doing the work for them. I'd probably turn a lot of them off initially if the car had it for a new driver and then enable them later.

You'd be doing a huge disservice to the new driver.

Car tech advances and becomes the norm quickly. A new driver today, unless they're very cash-strapped and can only afford 15+ year old beaters, absolutely will have more and more of the safety systems. Much better for them to learn to drive while knowing how those systems work and how they change the driving dynamic than to encounter them and have to adjust on the fly, potentially in an emergency situation.

The easy example is ABS. Non-ABS has lockup, lots of noise, and generally a major loss of steering capability. With ABS the stopping distances are indeed a little longer but we're explicitly taught to "stomp and steer" and expect the pulsing/shudder from the system as it works (as designed). A driver who has to make an emergency maneuver to avoid a collision does very different things with v. w/out ABS.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,411
    stickguy said:

The grille assembly reminds me of current Cadillacs, with the rectangular sensor box (I presume) in the center reminiscent of where the badge would be on a Caddy. Of course the headlight treatments are totally different so overall it doesn't have a huge resemblance.

Lots of room in the wagon for all your hockey gear, Fin!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,127
    kyfdx said:

Funny... I bought my son a vehicle that had the ABS and stability control disabled, along with airbag removal. I guess I'm a bad Dad. ;)

My son drove a 1975 2002 with NO nannies- deactivated or otherwise. He did attend three days of training- two at the BMW Performance Center and one day at Street Survival.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,819
    Heck, I didn’t even have shoulder belts in my first 2 vehicles. And didn’t have ABS until I was 25. ;)

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

edited March 7
    qbrozen said:

Heck, I didn’t even have shoulder belts in my first 2 vehicles. And didn’t have ABS until I was 25. ;)

Pretty much the same boat...

1st car 66 Mustang. Lap belts only. 4 drum brakes will teach you a few things too, especially in the rain

2nd 89 Chevy Beretta. Shoulder belts of course but no airbag or ABS

3rd 95 Tacoma 4x4. Drivers airbag and I think ABS but only on the rear

It was my 99 Explorer before I had 2 airbags and 4 wheel ABS. I think I was 27 or 28 when I got that.

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

The grille assembly reminds me of current Cadillacs, with the rectangular sensor box (I presume) in the center reminiscent of where the badge would be on a Caddy. Of course the headlight treatments are totally different so overall it doesn't have a huge resemblance.

There’s something very stately about an E wagon. Not sure I could ever bring myself to DD one. An E63 wagon on the other hand...

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Posts: 584
    My 1963 Corvette split window coupe is officially a beater. No nannies, no disc brakes, no power steering or power brakes.  Manual transmission. 

I am now wondering why I smile when I drive it. 
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,549
    First car, 89 Grand Marquis had no airbags and no ABS. My next car a 93 Taurus LX 3.8 (yeah, it sucked) had dual bags and ABS and aside from my 89 Town Car and 79 Continental everything since has had ABS.

I think at this point I'd really need to be careful in a non-ABS vehicle. Like mentioned above I've become conditioned to "Stomp and Steer".

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

Ah. Drum brakes. I remember one day with my duster, coming out of a parking lot there was a dip, and after a rain storm was full of water. Hit that, big splash, then right after was a stop sign at the exit onto a busy road. Blew right through that without a hint of slowing. Oops. Became a big fan of disk brakes that day.

Now, I like info helpers, like BLIS. Not a fan of active lane keep stuff, that’s annoying. Auto emergency brakes, good in theory, but I still don’t trust it.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Posts: 584
    edited March 7
    Drum brakes are interesting. You never know which tire will lock up. But it is what it is. I just have much more situational awareness when I drive it. It is an absolute blast though. 
    That happened to me in the fintail a few years ago, when cruising down 405 at ~60, a road work truck blindly pulled out from the shoulder in front of me, and I went for the brakes. It was not the straightest slowdown - but I kept it in line. Not a fun experience where in a modern car it would have had little drama.
    tjc78 said:

I think at this point I'd really need to be careful in a non-ABS vehicle. Like mentioned above I've become conditioned to "Stomp and Steer".

The "luxury" trim shnoz is a little unique, but I like a traditional grille and hood ornament. I suspect cars with such trim are under 10% of E volume.

That one is even better with brown interior, drivers assist, and optional 19" 10 spoke wheels I've never seen in person before. Rare bird, and it would be good for hauling things. Unfortunately, big MSRP and they lease poorly.
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490

kyfdx said:

Funny... I bought my son a vehicle that had the ABS and stability control disabled, along with airbag removal. I guess I'm a bad Dad. ;)

My son drove a 1975 2002 with NO nannies- deactivated or otherwise. He did attend three days of training- two at the BMW Performance Center and one day at Street Survival.
    With all those active safety features, you aren't "driving"--you will never learn some basic control skills. Every jet airliner pilot or fighter pilot learned to fly no doubt, on a little Cessna.