Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

1312831293131313331343150

Comments

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,340
    driver100 said:

    Michaell said:

    driver100 said:

    driver100 said:

    driver100 said:

    driver100 said:

    houdini2 said:

    driver100 said:

    driver100 said:

    thebean said:

    Does anyone follow the Tour de France bike race, which starts tomorrow? I think it’s the most difficult event in sports. Three weeks of relentless pain and pressure. The lovely Mrs Bean loves to watch it also, primarily for the scenery in France and surrounding areas. I look forward to it every year.

    I usually dont follow it. Bike racing is a tough sport due to it requiring a consistent high level of effort to be of any good at it.

    However I would say the Iditarod would be the most difficult event in sports due to the fact that you are racing through some of the most unforgiving remote areas in weather that can be brutal.
    Not sure what an Iditarod is but the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball. If you measure the distance from the pitchers hand to the strike zone the ball is in the strike zone faster than you can think and react, so hitter has to be practically swinging by the time the ball leaves the pitchers hand.
    Yet baseballs get hit all the time.

    The Iditarod is a 1,000 mile dog sledding race from just north of Anchorage to Nome in Alaska.
    Lots of lists on this topic, basically the same, no mention of Iditarod. Here is the basic list;
    10. The Downhill (Skiiing)
    9. Saving a Penalty Kick
    8. Tour De France
    7. Running a Marathon
    6. Landing a Quad (Ice skating)
    5. Returning a Serve
    4. Hitting a long straight tee shot
    3. Pole Vaulting
    2. Race Car Driving
    1. Hitting a Baseball

    Maybe Iditarod is the hardest sport for dogs! :)
    Simply hitting a baseball is not that hard. Hitting a grand slam off a major league pitcher would make the list. Concerning your list, item #4. Hitting a long straight drive is one of the easier things to do in golf. Making a hole in one is much harder to do, and involves some luck. Probably the hardest thing to do in golf is to consistently "shoot your age". Being so far off on these items makes your entire list suspect.
    Simply hitting a baseball is not that hard! Oh yeh;
    In .1 second, the ball has traveled twelve feet as the batter locates the ball out from the pitcher’s hand. It takes another .07 of a second for the batter to recognize speed, movement, and trajectory. By now, the ball has traveled another ten feet, and it will require .017 of a second for the brain and body to work harmoniously when swinging. This leaves just .09 of a second for the batter to decide to swing or not. The slightest hesitation could be the difference between a home run and a swinging strike.

    And that is just part of the exercise. Another aspect is swinging with the right trajectory. Swinging with too steep of a downward trajectory will result in a ground ball. Swinging with too much of an uppercut will result in a pop-up. David Kagan, physics professor at California State University-Chico, plotted all 586 home runs during April 2009 of the MLB season. The plot shows trajectory versus exit velocity off the bat. Kagan found that the average home run was launched at an angle of 29 ± 5 degrees at a speed of 101 ± 4 miles per hour (Kagan). There is not much room for error when swinging with the appropriate trajectory for hitting a home run. In addition, the trajectory at which you must swing varies from pitch-to-pitch. Thus, finding the right path at which to swing is quite difficult since there is not one given trajectory for every pitch under the sun.

    It is a miracle that someone can hit a home run. And a good batting average is hitting once every 3 times!

    And you think anyone can hit a baseball?
    Hitting once every 3 times is dependent on what you call hitting the ball. One in three tries is good only if you only count making it to base on a hit ball. Add those balls that are hit fair but are not considered hits due to a fly ball being caught or the batter being picked of at a base and the rate of getting a hit gets to be around what? 50 percent? Add in the hits that are foul balls but do go forward from the batter and the rate goes up even more. On baseball balls get hit all the time.
    Balls get hit but it only counts if it ends up on the playing field or a home run. The others are really misses.
    About the Iditarod, for one thing I think we are talking about mainstream sports, 99% of the people wouldn't know what an Iditarod is (even my windows program underlines the word as misspelled). But aside from that, it sounds like the things you do can be done by most people....although not done well. Probably only a tiny fraction of people could actually hit a baseball thrown by a professional pitcher. Look at the timeline....you need to judge where to hit the ball in a fraction of a second.
    I have seen a few lists of the hardest thing to do in sports, and hitting a baseball was #1 on every list.
    Only counts if it gets in the infield? Are we talking on out getting a hit in baseball or hitting a baseball? they are 2 different things.
    The hardest thing to do in sports is to "hit a baseball".......but not hit a foul ball, not hit it so it hits the ump, not hit it so it just nicks your bat, but to hit a ball that is in play. This was calculated by taking scientific factors into consideration, speed of the ball, distance ball travels, amount of time brain has to react.
    Hit a baseball means bat makes contact with the baseball. That is the definition of "hit" it is different from getting a base hit
    Snake...the last time I played baseball was a fun softball game about 15 years ago. The ball was pitched and probably traveled at 15 mph.
    I would like to see you stand at the plate, have a professional pitcher throw a fastball at 110 mph, and watch you try to make any kind of contact with the bat :)
    I doubt anyone who could pitch at 110 MPH would be worried about civilians like us. Fastest recorded pitch speed in MLB is 105 MPH.

    And, we're starting to get into the definition of what "is" is.

    Learned today that the players in an average soccer match run about 7 miles total. Plus all the coordination of their legs, feet and bodies, and I have a new respect for them.
    The fastest recorded speed is 105.1 but that may be on the high side as there may be issues with the radar guns used. Guinness records the fastest at just under 101. Even if not you most likely not see a pitch much faster than that. The forces required to propel a ball at speeds any greater than we see now are greater than the arm can withstand. If any pitcher ever threw a 110 MPH fastball it would likely end his career.
    OK, I'd like to see you in the batter's box hitting a baseball travelling at 85 mph :D
    It's been a while since I was in the batting cage but I did OK at it. And I still cant believe you went this route.

    2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,399
    edited July 8
    driver100 said:


    ...I would like to see you stand at the plate, have a professional pitcher throw a fastball at 110 mph, and watch you try to make any kind of contact with the bat :)

    I haven't had a bat in my hand since high school PE, but I am sure I'd have no trouble
    making contact with the bat.
    Now, contacting the ball would be a different matter. :) B) :p ;)

    2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

  • ronsteveronsteve LooavulPosts: 629
    driver100 said:

    driver100 said:

    thebean said:

    Does anyone follow the Tour de France bike race, which starts tomorrow? I think it’s the most difficult event in sports. Three weeks of relentless pain and pressure. The lovely Mrs Bean loves to watch it also, primarily for the scenery in France and surrounding areas. I look forward to it every year.

    I usually dont follow it. Bike racing is a tough sport due to it requiring a consistent high level of effort to be of any good at it.

    However I would say the Iditarod would be the most difficult event in sports due to the fact that you are racing through some of the most unforgiving remote areas in weather that can be brutal.
    Not sure what an Iditarod is but the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball. If you measure the distance from the pitchers hand to the strike zone the ball is in the strike zone faster than you can think and react, so hitter has to be practically swinging by the time the ball leaves the pitchers hand.
    Yet baseballs get hit all the time.

    The Iditarod is a 1,000 mile dog sledding race from just north of Anchorage to Nome in Alaska.
    Lots of lists on this topic, basically the same, no mention of Iditarod. Here is the basic list;
    10. The Downhill (Skiiing)
    9. Saving a Penalty Kick
    8. Tour De France
    7. Running a Marathon
    6. Landing a Quad (Ice skating)
    5. Returning a Serve
    4. Hitting a long straight tee shot
    3. Pole Vaulting
    2. Race Car Driving
    1. Hitting a Baseball

    Maybe Iditarod is the hardest sport for dogs! :)
    Is this an actual ranking? If so, I'd have to put landing a quad close to the top of the list because only recently have the best-of-the-best managed to do it!

    I'm not sure running a marathon should even be on the list! I've run two, and my wife claims to be out of shape even though she has run 39. The Tour de France should be much higher on the list because that requires a fairly exhaustive effort for 21 out of 23 days. Those guys spend 4-6 hours each day putting down twice the power I can manage for an hour, and my bike splits are typically in the 2nd quartile of most of the triathlons I race.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • thebeanthebean Parts UnknownPosts: 1,051
    Also, in a bike race, you have to concentrate fully for 4+ hours as you are riding inches away from the other riders and touching wheels results in a crash. Crashes at 40 mph are not a lot of fun on an asphalt road.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2017 Honda Civic EX-T
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,435
    ronsteve said:

    driver100 said:

    driver100 said:

    thebean said:

    Does anyone follow the Tour de France bike race, which starts tomorrow? I think it’s the most difficult event in sports. Three weeks of relentless pain and pressure. The lovely Mrs Bean loves to watch it also, primarily for the scenery in France and surrounding areas. I look forward to it every year.

    I usually dont follow it. Bike racing is a tough sport due to it requiring a consistent high level of effort to be of any good at it.

    However I would say the Iditarod would be the most difficult event in sports due to the fact that you are racing through some of the most unforgiving remote areas in weather that can be brutal.
    Not sure what an Iditarod is but the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball. If you measure the distance from the pitchers hand to the strike zone the ball is in the strike zone faster than you can think and react, so hitter has to be practically swinging by the time the ball leaves the pitchers hand.
    Yet baseballs get hit all the time.

    The Iditarod is a 1,000 mile dog sledding race from just north of Anchorage to Nome in Alaska.
    Lots of lists on this topic, basically the same, no mention of Iditarod. Here is the basic list;
    10. The Downhill (Skiiing)
    9. Saving a Penalty Kick
    8. Tour De France
    7. Running a Marathon
    6. Landing a Quad (Ice skating)
    5. Returning a Serve
    4. Hitting a long straight tee shot
    3. Pole Vaulting
    2. Race Car Driving
    1. Hitting a Baseball

    Maybe Iditarod is the hardest sport for dogs! :)
    Is this an actual ranking? If so, I'd have to put landing a quad close to the top of the list because only recently have the best-of-the-best managed to do it!
    The list was published in U.S.A. Today. Other lists may vary....this isn't an exact science, but, hitting a baseball is #1 on almost every list. I think saving a penalty kick in soccer should be #2, because the goalie almost has to guess where the ball is going to go. The kicker has a huge advantage.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • omarmanomarman Posts: 1,737
    abacomike said:

    Just got some great news from my daughter - she found a 1-bedroom apartment in Boynton Beach and she is moving there when she arrives Friday! Hooray! No cat and no aggravation! Boynton Beach is about a 35-40 minute drive north of me. So my love for her at a distance remains in tact. 😜🤪😝


  • ronsteveronsteve LooavulPosts: 629
    driver100 said:

    ronsteve said:

    driver100 said:

    driver100 said:

    thebean said:

    Does anyone follow the Tour de France bike race, which starts tomorrow? I think it’s the most difficult event in sports. Three weeks of relentless pain and pressure. The lovely Mrs Bean loves to watch it also, primarily for the scenery in France and surrounding areas. I look forward to it every year.

    I usually dont follow it. Bike racing is a tough sport due to it requiring a consistent high level of effort to be of any good at it.

    However I would say the Iditarod would be the most difficult event in sports due to the fact that you are racing through some of the most unforgiving remote areas in weather that can be brutal.
    Not sure what an Iditarod is but the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball. If you measure the distance from the pitchers hand to the strike zone the ball is in the strike zone faster than you can think and react, so hitter has to be practically swinging by the time the ball leaves the pitchers hand.
    Yet baseballs get hit all the time.

    The Iditarod is a 1,000 mile dog sledding race from just north of Anchorage to Nome in Alaska.
    Lots of lists on this topic, basically the same, no mention of Iditarod. Here is the basic list;
    10. The Downhill (Skiiing)
    9. Saving a Penalty Kick
    8. Tour De France
    7. Running a Marathon
    6. Landing a Quad (Ice skating)
    5. Returning a Serve
    4. Hitting a long straight tee shot
    3. Pole Vaulting
    2. Race Car Driving
    1. Hitting a Baseball

    Maybe Iditarod is the hardest sport for dogs! :)
    Is this an actual ranking? If so, I'd have to put landing a quad close to the top of the list because only recently have the best-of-the-best managed to do it!
    The list was published in U.S.A. Today. Other lists may vary....this isn't an exact science, but, hitting a baseball is #1 on almost every list. I think saving a penalty kick in soccer should be #2, because the goalie almost has to guess where the ball is going to go. The kicker has a huge advantage.

    So when was the first PK save in soccer? How many goalies have done it?

    When was the first (whatever counts as hitting a baseball?) How many have done it?

    On the other hand, the first quad jump in figure skating was in the 1990s, and even in the last Winter Games there were medal contenders that didn't have a quad in their routine.

    In the Tour de France, some of the best sprinters... guys with more stage wins than anyone else... struggle to make the time cutoff in the mountain stages.

    IMHO, these "rankings" are garbage and biased toward the stick and ball sports. Not that I would make the argument that running a marathon ranks among the most difficult things in sports.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 2,330
    edited July 8
    Wow this was scary. I was out driving in that storm and flooded Route 95 in a Tesla Model X. Don't know how safe an electric car is in the rain but every time the lightning opened the skies I would scream with fear.

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,435
    ronsteve said:

    driver100 said:

    ronsteve said:

    driver100 said:

    driver100 said:

    thebean said:

    Does anyone follow the Tour de France bike race, which starts tomorrow? I think it’s the most difficult event in sports. Three weeks of relentless pain and pressure. The lovely Mrs Bean loves to watch it also, primarily for the scenery in France and surrounding areas. I look forward to it every year.

    I usually dont follow it. Bike racing is a tough sport due to it requiring a consistent high level of effort to be of any good at it.

    However I would say the Iditarod would be the most difficult event in sports due to the fact that you are racing through some of the most unforgiving remote areas in weather that can be brutal.
    Not sure what an Iditarod is but the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball. If you measure the distance from the pitchers hand to the strike zone the ball is in the strike zone faster than you can think and react, so hitter has to be practically swinging by the time the ball leaves the pitchers hand.
    Yet baseballs get hit all the time.

    The Iditarod is a 1,000 mile dog sledding race from just north of Anchorage to Nome in Alaska.
    Lots of lists on this topic, basically the same, no mention of Iditarod. Here is the basic list;
    10. The Downhill (Skiiing)
    9. Saving a Penalty Kick
    8. Tour De France
    7. Running a Marathon
    6. Landing a Quad (Ice skating)
    5. Returning a Serve
    4. Hitting a long straight tee shot
    3. Pole Vaulting
    2. Race Car Driving
    1. Hitting a Baseball

    Maybe Iditarod is the hardest sport for dogs! :)
    Is this an actual ranking? If so, I'd have to put landing a quad close to the top of the list because only recently have the best-of-the-best managed to do it!
    The list was published in U.S.A. Today. Other lists may vary....this isn't an exact science, but, hitting a baseball is #1 on almost every list. I think saving a penalty kick in soccer should be #2, because the goalie almost has to guess where the ball is going to go. The kicker has a huge advantage.

    So when was the first PK save in soccer? How many goalies have done it?

    When was the first (whatever counts as hitting a baseball?) How many have done it?

    On the other hand, the first quad jump in figure skating was in the 1990s, and even in the last Winter Games there were medal contenders that didn't have a quad in their routine.

    In the Tour de France, some of the best sprinters... guys with more stage wins than anyone else... struggle to make the time cutoff in the mountain stages.

    IMHO, these "rankings" are garbage and biased toward the stick and ball sports. Not that I would make the argument that running a marathon ranks among the most difficult things in sports.
    Not sure about the soccer questions or the first baseball was hit...though could probably find out.

    About quadruple quads in skating....no doubt a tremendous feat to be able to do it, but, they have already seen a quadruple axel which is 4 rotations plus a half, and they think within a few years skaters will master a quintuple rotation....or 5 rotations. This will be difficult, but relies on a few calculations.......skaters speed of rotating, slope of his jump etc........they do this sport through calculations.

    Hitting a baseball, is not done by a formula, it is done in a 100th of a second, by the batters brain and hand and eye coordination. And the baseball coming in is a big variable......the ice stays in the same spot.

    Having said that, a lot of people would agree with you the rankings are meaningless. I think they are interesting and are fairly well thought out....but, there is no definitive answer.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,435
    omarman said:

    abacomike said:

    Just got some great news from my daughter - she found a 1-bedroom apartment in Boynton Beach and she is moving there when she arrives Friday! Hooray! No cat and no aggravation! Boynton Beach is about a 35-40 minute drive north of me. So my love for her at a distance remains in tact. 😜🤪😝


    +1 Glad it worked out.
    Hope she can make it on her own, and glad you don't have to live with the cat.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • houdini2houdini2 Posts: 323
    driver100 said:

    ronsteve said:

    driver100 said:

    ronsteve said:

    driver100 said:

    driver100 said:

    thebean said:

    Does anyone follow the Tour de France bike race, which starts tomorrow? I think it’s the most difficult event in sports. Three weeks of relentless pain and pressure. The lovely Mrs Bean loves to watch it also, primarily for the scenery in France and surrounding areas. I look forward to it every year.

    I usually dont follow it. Bike racing is a tough sport due to it requiring a consistent high level of effort to be of any good at it.

    However I would say the Iditarod would be the most difficult event in sports due to the fact that you are racing through some of the most unforgiving remote areas in weather that can be brutal.
    Not sure what an Iditarod is but the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball. If you measure the distance from the pitchers hand to the strike zone the ball is in the strike zone faster than you can think and react, so hitter has to be practically swinging by the time the ball leaves the pitchers hand.
    Yet baseballs get hit all the time.

    The Iditarod is a 1,000 mile dog sledding race from just north of Anchorage to Nome in Alaska.
    Lots of lists on this topic, basically the same, no mention of Iditarod. Here is the basic list;
    10. The Downhill (Skiiing)
    9. Saving a Penalty Kick
    8. Tour De France
    7. Running a Marathon
    6. Landing a Quad (Ice skating)
    5. Returning a Serve
    4. Hitting a long straight tee shot
    3. Pole Vaulting
    2. Race Car Driving
    1. Hitting a Baseball

    Maybe Iditarod is the hardest sport for dogs! :)
    Is this an actual ranking? If so, I'd have to put landing a quad close to the top of the list because only recently have the best-of-the-best managed to do it!
    The list was published in U.S.A. Today. Other lists may vary....this isn't an exact science, but, hitting a baseball is #1 on almost every list. I think saving a penalty kick in soccer should be #2, because the goalie almost has to guess where the ball is going to go. The kicker has a huge advantage.

    So when was the first PK save in soccer? How many goalies have done it?

    When was the first (whatever counts as hitting a baseball?) How many have done it?

    On the other hand, the first quad jump in figure skating was in the 1990s, and even in the last Winter Games there were medal contenders that didn't have a quad in their routine.

    In the Tour de France, some of the best sprinters... guys with more stage wins than anyone else... struggle to make the time cutoff in the mountain stages.

    IMHO, these "rankings" are garbage and biased toward the stick and ball sports. Not that I would make the argument that running a marathon ranks among the most difficult things in sports.
    Not sure about the soccer questions or the first baseball was hit...though could probably find out.

    About quadruple quads in skating....no doubt a tremendous feat to be able to do it, but, they have already seen a quadruple axel which is 4 rotations plus a half, and they think within a few years skaters will master a quintuple rotation....or 5 rotations. This will be difficult, but relies on a few calculations.......skaters speed of rotating, slope of his jump etc........they do this sport through calculations.

    Hitting a baseball, is not done by a formula, it is done in a 100th of a second, by the batters brain and hand and eye coordination. And the baseball coming in is a big variable......the ice stays in the same spot.
    Yes, and major league players manage to get hits routinely, several times each game.

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,435
    And skaters are doing quadruple quads consistently in order to compete.
    Personally, I would find a quadruple quad harder than hitting a baseball since I can't skate. In fact, I can't do a one quad.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 5,474
    edited July 8
    What is a "quadruple quad"?

    2018 430i Gran Coupe

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,628
    A pint of beer?

    2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,435
    dino001 said:

    What is a "quadruple quad"?

    A quad, or quadruple, is a figure skating jump with at least four but less than five revolutions. .

    Relating this to cars: The jump requires subverting basic survival instincts to spin faster than 400 rotations per minute (the wheels on a car going 60 miles per hour rotate about 800 times per minute) without losing control.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,435
    Slightly different topic.....in the last month I have hit about 6 really big potholes. These are the kind where the front end makes a loud clunk and the whole car shakes. The car seems fine after.....could it be?
    All of these were hidden or there was no way to avoid them. The last one I was on a street that I haven't been on and suddenly my lane was going to end, so I moved over a lane - while a very aggressive guy in a black pick up was trying to keep me out, and I hit a man hole cover that had sunk into the ground.
    Another one was near our house, the 4 lane road had been patched. All you could see was a black patch, but hidden behind was a huge hole that dropped down. I called my counselor and it was fixed the next day.
    Is there a possibility you can hit a jaw jarring pothole, and not need an alignment?

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,756
    Might be the ultimate Supercharger B)
    bwia said:

    Wow this was scary. I was out driving in that storm and flooded Route 95 in a Tesla Model X. Don't know how safe an electric car is in the rain but every time the lightning opened the skies I would scream with fear.

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,628
    Lucky if just need an alignment! Real worry is a busted wheel or damaged tire. Having run flats might help with that.

    2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 5,474
    edited July 8
    driver100 said:

    dino001 said:

    What is a "quadruple quad"?

    A quad, or quadruple, is a figure skating jump with at least four but less than five revolutions. .

    Relating this to cars: The jump requires subverting basic survival instincts to spin faster than 400 rotations per minute (the wheels on a car going 60 miles per hour rotate about 800 times per minute) without losing control.
    I knew what a quad was. I know what quadruple jump is. I don't know what a quadruple quad is. Four quadruple air pirouettes in the raw? :wink: That's never been done, as far as I know, it may take some supermutants to achieve.

    Hint: I was pulling your chain.

    2018 430i Gran Coupe

  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,112
    driver100 said:

    Slightly different topic.....in the last month I have hit about 6 really big potholes. These are the kind where the front end makes a loud clunk and the whole car shakes. The car seems fine after.....could it be?
    All of these were hidden or there was no way to avoid them. The last one I was on a street that I haven't been on and suddenly my lane was going to end, so I moved over a lane - while a very aggressive guy in a black pick up was trying to keep me out, and I hit a man hole cover that had sunk into the ground.
    Another one was near our house, the 4 lane road had been patched. All you could see was a black patch, but hidden behind was a huge hole that dropped down. I called my counselor and it was fixed the next day.
    Is there a possibility you can hit a jaw jarring pothole, and not need an alignment?

    Possible. I'd certainly check the vehicle is tracking straight, although even that might not be an "all clear" signal. I dinged a curb once while sliding in ice at low speed. car tracked straight, no noises, but the lower control arm got bent. The wheel had moved back about an inch and in a bit. At first glance, everything looked right, but after looking at the right side then the left, I noticed the difference in positioning relative to the wheel well. I was going to have the alignment checked to be sure, but that was an obvious one.

    I've hit some unavoidable bone shakers that made me look closely at the wheel to see is it got damaged. I suppose a hard enough hit would make me get an alignment check. As I wasn't in the car, you have a better idea of how hard it was. And if the hits were all on one wheel, I'd lean towards checking.

    Pullling, unusual tire wear, maybe even feeling different when it turns left vs right, all might be very subtle signs

    Edmunds Moderator

    Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

    Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

    Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,399
    driver100 said:


    Is there a possibility you can hit a jaw jarring pothole, and not need an alignment?

    I have had major kawhaaaams and gone in for alignment check even when I didn't feel a great difference in the position of the steering wheel or the manner of steering straight down the road. Sometimes the alignment has been affected some. Sometimes the alignment guy said it was small in difference.

    But I'm really sensitive to the feel of the steering and I have Michelins, which I don't want to wear out prematurely. I'm hoping to sell or junk the Cobalt with the same tires without having had to replace them.

    I worry more about the rims being forced out-of-round or the tire damaged from the impact.

    My alignments are $79 or so depending on how much needed redone. Yours?

    I had lots of pothole problems last year because of I75 and the slow repairs on the potholes mostly in downtown Dayton. The folks running Dayton City are terrible about keeping up on reporting the problems for maintenance.

    If car does not have noticeable change to the steering, I'd still get it checked. Tire wear could be increased with a toe change. Peace of mind.

    2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,435
    bwia said:

    Wow this was scary. I was out driving in that storm and flooded Route 95 in a Tesla Model X. Don't know how safe an electric car is in the rain but every time the lightning opened the skies I would scream with fear.


    That boat has the largest mast, and lightening does strike the highest point. Maybe not put a large mast on your Tesla.

    But we had an accident near us a few weeks ago. Guy was driving at 2 a.m., hit a telephone pole. From evidence pieced together at the scene, detectives believe he got out of the car, walking no more than 3 feet before he stepped on a downed hydro wire that was live, Stewart.

    Without a street light, police do not believe he saw the black wire.

    He was electrocuted and likely killed instantly.

    Now they say if you think there could be electrical wires down near your car then stay in the car and don't touch anything on the car.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,435
    dino001 said:

    driver100 said:

    dino001 said:

    What is a "quadruple quad"?

    A quad, or quadruple, is a figure skating jump with at least four but less than five revolutions. .

    Relating this to cars: The jump requires subverting basic survival instincts to spin faster than 400 rotations per minute (the wheels on a car going 60 miles per hour rotate about 800 times per minute) without losing control.
    I knew what a quad was. I know what quadruple jump is. I don't know what a quadruple quad is. Four quadruple air pirouettes in the raw? :wink: That's never been done, as far as I know, it may take some supermutants to achieve.

    Hint: I was pulling your chain.
    Funny....I guess a quadruple quad would be 16 rotations....very hard to do. :D

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 5,474
    Finally, somebody got it. :wink:

    2018 430i Gran Coupe

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,435
    I like the thoughts about a wheel alignment and hitting a big pothole.
    The only thing that bothers me is I just know...I could have the alignment done, and I will hit an even larger one the next day.
    Guess you have to do it and hope for the best. At least they will throw in a car wash and I won't have to wait 2 hours.
    I am sure it will cost more than $79. Roads seem really bad this year, harsh winter and not much infrastructure money!

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 962


    .
    driver100 said:

    woodyww said:

    driver100 said:



    It is a miracle that someone can hit a home run. And a good batting average is hitting once every 3 times!

    And you think anyone can hit a baseball?

    Yeah. I've watched a fair amount of MLB baseball in my life. Trying to get a hit against a great pitcher--even what passes for an "OK" pitcher in the MLB--I can't imagine. Sometimes the fielding seems the most impressive to me (depending). Those guys are athletes at a very high level.

    Women's World Cup on Live, right now--the USA Women's football (soccer) team--they're some of the best athletes I've seen, in any sport.



    I don't usually watch soccer but I watched that game and really enjoyed it. They are great athletes......and the U.S. won in a nicely played game. The way they play I wonder if they will be able to walk when they are 40?

    Most high level sports would be hard for an average person to do. Like Malcom Gladwell says, you have to do something for 100000 hours to get really good at it. I have a feeling stickguy is going to become fantastic at doing renos at this rate.
    I hope you're right. Son #1 and I could use a good man to help us finishing up his flip house. We're on vacation now at Myrtle Beach but before we left last Friday we laid wood laminate flooring in the living room with more to do in the dining room, hall and kitchen. The 4 bedrooms will be carpeted. I'm not a fan of that laminate flooring but everyone I talk to including realtors keep telling me that people want wood or anything that looks like wood so, the more of that stuff the better. I still don't get the infatuation with that stuff but if the experts say do it, who am I to say no.

    Yep, when I get back from vacation @stickguy should be expecting a call from either me or my son. He'll be done with his daughter's place by then and will probably want to show off some of his handy work.

    jmonroe
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,435
    edited July 8
    dino001 said:

    Finally, somebody got it. :wink:

    OK, I'll admit it, 16 rotations would be harder than hitting a baseball.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 5,474
    Alignments on my 3-series and 4-series cost $120-$200, depending if done at dealerships, or indie shops. I'd imagine your Benz will be similar. Regular tire stores would not even touch my cars with alignment jobs. They don't have the required equipment (electronics that make it simulate running at 50+ mph), only specialized stores have those.

    It's basically a road hazard issue - as you said, you risk another even worse hit tomorrow, indeed, but long term it causes premature and uneven tread ware on the tires, possibly some other issues on the mechanical systems, if the geometry is significantly out of whack.

    2018 430i Gran Coupe

  • ronsteveronsteve LooavulPosts: 629
    driver100 said:

    And skaters are doing quadruple quads consistently in order to compete.
    Personally, I would find a quadruple quad harder than hitting a baseball since I can't skate. In fact, I can't do a one quad.

    driver100 said:

    And skaters are doing quadruple quads consistently in order to compete.
    Personally, I would find a quadruple quad harder than hitting a baseball since I can't skate. In fact, I can't do a one quad.

    Quadruple quad isn't a thing. I think driver made that up. Now a quad jump (I think several have gone as hard as the quad lutz, but quad axels are still few and far between) is a different story.

    Still, my point remains... skaters hitting quad jumps are competing at the top level of the sport right now, and it was practically unheard of 20 years ago. Kids in Little League are hitting baseballs. Maybe not 100 mph fastballs, but they are hitting baseballs and have been doing so for eons.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
Sign In or Register to comment.