Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited March 2020
    A long time ago I asked Audi to come out with a $40K S3. In response, they came out with a $40K VW Golf R. :disappointed:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

Drove a Tacoma that we sold to a local dealer today. Had just over 24K on the clock and drove very nicely but it's still a truck, though a small one, still felt like a truck! Not sure I'd want one as my d d to be honest.The versatility is there and it did drive nicely on the turnpike but...again, it's still a truck!

Sandy, have you heard any rumors of lay offs down your way? Up here they’re pulling hundreds of cars out of service and there are whispers that once we complete the task we’ll be history.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited March 2020
    qbrozen said:

I have yet to have a particularly bad chryco product. Guess I have been unusually lucky. And, actually, out of my 50 vehicles, 6 have been Dodge/Chrysler, which is more than any other maker on my list. The ‘08 T&C started falling apart, but it was nearing 100k miles, and it was all accessories/electrical issues, so nothing that ever stranded us.

The joke used to be....A Chrysler can run bad longer than other cars run at all. My last new Chrysler, a PT Cruiser, has aged badly but it still runs. I also currently own a 20 yo Chrysler which hasn’t been too bad but still tries to nickel and dime me.

The Jeep Grand Cherokees I’ve driven a very comfortable.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

qbrozen said:

I have yet to have a particularly bad chryco product. Guess I have been unusually lucky. And, actually, out of my 50 vehicles, 6 have been Dodge/Chrysler, which is more than any other maker on my list. The ‘08 T&C started falling apart, but it was nearing 100k miles, and it was all accessories/electrical issues, so nothing that ever stranded us.

The joke used to be....A Chrysler can run bad longer than other cars run at all. My last new Chrysler, a PT Cruiser, has aged badly but it still runs. I also currently own a 20 yo Chrysler which hasn’t been too bad but still tries to nickel and dime me.

The Jeep Grand Cherokees I’ve driven a very comfortable.
    I think you all know where I stand with Chrysler. If I bought another one, I'd invest my entire 401K in tow truck companies.

I actually think the opposite, when it ran, it ran fine. Fine fine fine, as long as you ignore the thousand rattles, the cracking glass, the Fisher-Price plastics, the oozing adhesives under the hot CA sun, and the rather lousy gas mileage to power ratio.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    PA governor just shut down non-essential businesses, including car dealers.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    No OF, as of Tuesday, we've been put on unlimited hours if wanted! I worked 60 hours the last couple of weeks and was off Monday and took a mental health day today. Told my lead I'll give him 5 days/week going forward. No talks of any layoffs as of yet. We also rented space at the Palm Beach Speedway in Jupiter and bringing the excess from PBI there plus the vehicles already sold to dealers until our groups can deliver them. I work in the Remarketing section so we deal mostly with the sold vehicles that need to be delivered to the new owners. We go from Miami to Vero Beach and over to Okeechobee City by the big lake.
    So as of now, think we'll have plenty of work for awhile. Also, some of the retirees we have, the older ones, aren't coming in at all. One guy from our crew who has heart issues is staying home until they decide on a sick leave policy. And if things do shut down for a time, think that won't be long and then we'll be super busy when they call us back to work. But being the optimist I am, doubt things will get that bad. Even found a place that had some tp today, a 12 roll limit but I was happy to find any as there's not much out there. Folks need to relax and stop hoarding so everyone can get some of everything!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    there is so little to do around here now, and my feet are going to get tired of walking, so will probably take the new car out for a scenic drive just to get out of the house and give it some exercise!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I spent the afternoon falling further behind on actual work whilst getting set up to work from home. My company seems to have an institutional dislike for the concept, but realized (very belatedly, in my opinion) that they might want to get remote access set up at some point before someone forces them to close the building. I plan on collecting some of my personal items tomorrow morning and attempting to do the rest of the day at home.

The silver lining here is that my home office is actually better equipped than my real office. Nicer computer, larger monitor, more comfortable chair, fewer interruptions (but a 32" TV if I need or want distractions), the ice maker never runs out of ice... And best of all, a dog to keep me company.
    you need to upgrade to a bed in the office! comes in handy occasionally for boring conference calls...

No OF, as of Tuesday, we've been put on unlimited hours if wanted! I worked 60 hours the last couple of weeks and was off Monday and took a mental health day today. Told my lead I'll give him 5 days/week going forward. No talks of any layoffs as of yet. We also rented space at the Palm Beach Speedway in Jupiter and bringing the excess from PBI there plus the vehicles already sold to dealers until our groups can deliver them. I work in the Remarketing section so we deal mostly with the sold vehicles that need to be delivered to the new owners. We go from Miami to Vero Beach and over to Okeechobee City by the big lake.
    So as of now, think we'll have plenty of work for awhile. Also, some of the retirees we have, the older ones, aren't coming in at all. One guy from our crew who has heart issues is staying home until they decide on a sick leave policy. And if things do shut down for a time, think that won't be long and then we'll be super busy when they call us back to work. But being the optimist I am, doubt things will get that bad. Even found a place that had some tp today, a 12 roll limit but I was happy to find any as there's not much out there. Folks need to relax and stop hoarding so everyone can get some of everything!

That’s encouraging. Sometimes rumors are just that...rumors. If things go south up here I can always sponge off my in-laws in St. Cloud and call the local office.

stickguy said:

you need to upgrade to a bed in the office! comes in handy occasionally for boring conference calls...

I've been considering a couch or loveseat in front of the TV for a while now. Couldn't justify it because I never watch TV up there. That might be different going forward!
    my office is also the guest room. Hence the bed. I really don't use it much!

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Paging @roadburner

Dealer has not one, but two of these. The prices are nutty, but for fun-

1993 B3

1994 B3

I won't even mention the Delta Integrale they have.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

OF, let me know if you come on down. I'll take a run up to the kids as they're also in St. Cloud, right up the street from where that Shell station and Dollar General are, on Canoe Creek Rd. as one leaves town. I go that way home when it's daytime which eventually gets me down to Yeehaw Junction. Way to dark at night as it's a lonely two lane road!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    tifighter said:

Paging @roadburner

Dealer has not one, but two of these. The prices are nutty, but for fun-

1993 B3

1994 B3

I won't even mention the Delta Integrale they have.

I would really like to have an Alpina someday. I loved the B7 I drove to Ft Worth back in 2007. They are fast, handle very well, and are still very comfortable to drive for long distances.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Ah a JDM private importer flipper, might be a risky business in the short term anyway.

When I was a kid, there was an E28 Alpina in the neighborhood (really surprising given this was a small town), I'll never forget the flamboyant stripe package on period Alpinas:

edited March 2020
    Gorgeous color and car.

OF, let me know if you come on down. I'll take a run up to the kids as they're also in St. Cloud, right up the street from where that Shell station and Dollar General are, on Canoe Creek Rd. as one leaves town. I go that way home when it's daytime which eventually gets me down to Yeehaw Junction. Way to dark at night as it's a lonely two lane road!

That might just happen. I got the call this morning, all 140 drivers have been furloughed. Looks like 2 weeks to a month but who knows.

Maybe I’ll take advantage of the turmoil and go car shopping.

The beauty of a pRt time job to give you something to do while retired. Not a big deal if you have to retire from it too!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011

That might just happen. I got the call this morning, all 140 drivers have been furloughed. Looks like 2 weeks to a month but who knows.

Maybe I’ll take advantage of the turmoil and go car shopping.
    Only if the dealers are open....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I have been getting emails from a lot of them today touting that they are offering any non-invasive experience you want. All electronic, they will deliver for a test drive, whatever it takes. not going to make up for all of it but it is something.

not sure if they can still do that if the dealership is fully forced to close, stuff like the finance office might be tricky. But who knows.

also got emails from a townhouse development we looked at recently. Still open (Delaware, so not shuttered). They are only doing visits by appointment. one at a time, and model is disinfected after every visit. and really pushing virtual visits. The walk you through on a video chat, then finish up talking about stuff. so other than seeing the rooms spatially, pretty much everything you could do in person could do this way.

stickguy said:

The beauty of a pRt time job to give you something to do while retired. Not a big deal if you have to retire from it too!

True but I hoped to walk out not get thrown out.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Someone I know works at a large local dealer group’s fleet leasing office and was furloughed today. Never expected that as she basically runs the place. Guess nobody is doing much of anything at the moment.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

my guess is pretty much everyone is on ice for buying anything. Could be interesting for people having leases done now, if dealers are closed. Hard to give it back or get a replacement!

Farmer, my bet, as soon as the shut downs are lifted, will suddenly have a lot of units to move and work. I heard a lot of operations are actually letting employees go just so they can get UI until the economy starts moving again.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Working from 8 to 1 today...and that's it. Put a fork in it, cause we're done! Our lead got the call on the way home yesterday about 4:45, we're closing shop Saturday at 1 pm. We're not being fired, we still have the job once things open up again. Just like a forced vacation but, no pay coming in!
    I was in total shock as I've been the optimistic voice in our van, the voice of reason. Seems that the guy who hired us will be calling everyone personally these next few days to explain the situation which I think is a great move on their part. Keep us in the loop so we know what's going on and what we might expect.
    Heard that we've also taken over space at FAU at their Boca Raton campus as a staging ground for excess vehicles. So, there must be a few thousand vehicles just sitting, just waiting to be put back into service or being moved to the dealers that bought them, what we do mostly. Looks like we'll get this weeks paycheck in a couple more weeks, and then...nothing! Very glad I worked so many hours the last two weeks as I got a rather large check yesterday!
    This whole thing stinks honestly and I know I'm going to miss work within a couple of days! As I told my wife last night, I really do like my job and look forward to every working day, gives me a purpose to get up every day! Just hoping this will pass rather quickly!

In the same boat as millions of others Sandy. at least you are OK without the spare money, and will have it back eventually. Take advantage to rest up your body. And if you get board, just take the VW out for a drive, and it will seem just like working!

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    edited March 2020
    Yep. My gym was just closed, and all those folks are not working. Their spouses’ jobs also ended. People are going from being decently well off to unemployed overnight. In every industry you can think of.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    My brother is in grad school and is a grad assistant for the lacrosse team, their season was cancelled. The Planet Fitness he works at part time also closed down. Within a week both income sources dried up so he's a bit apprehensive but I talked with my sister and we're going to send him a biweekly stipend until he finds something that he can balance with his class load.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Even the gym in my 105 unit condo association is closed. I've never seen more than four folks in there at a time, usually it's just me by my lonesome. I miss the MWF run group at work, running alone stinks. Well, running stinks...
    Will be WFH until at least 4/6, so far it seems folks still being productive from home at my company. One case of Covid documented on the campus where I work, but not for my company nor in the building I work(ed).
    Promised myself I'd clean and decrappify my condo this weekend. So far, I've again lied to myself.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

stickguy said:

my guess is pretty much everyone is on ice for buying anything. Could be interesting for people having leases done now, if dealers are closed. Hard to give it back or get a replacement!

Farmer, my bet, as soon as the shut downs are lifted, will suddenly have a lot of units to move and work. I heard a lot of operations are actually letting employees go just so they can get UI until the economy starts moving again.

That’s basically what my boss said, sit tight and apply for UI. I’m not sure if I can though. I still technically run my own business and I think they might deduct my pension or social security from the benefit anyway. The $140/week I would get would be canceled out real fast.

I’d actually feel guilty taking UI when I’m in pretty good shape and others need it much more.

edited March 2020

Working from 8 to 1 today...and that's it. Put a fork in it, cause we're done! Our lead got the call on the way home yesterday about 4:45, we're closing shop Saturday at 1 pm. We're not being fired, we still have the job once things open up again. Just like a forced vacation but, no pay coming in!
    I was in total shock as I've been the optimistic voice in our van, the voice of reason. Seems that the guy who hired us will be calling everyone personally these next few days to explain the situation which I think is a great move on their part. Keep us in the loop so we know what's going on and what we might expect.
    Heard that we've also taken over space at FAU at their Boca Raton campus as a staging ground for excess vehicles. So, there must be a few thousand vehicles just sitting, just waiting to be put back into service or being moved to the dealers that bought them, what we do mostly. Looks like we'll get this weeks paycheck in a couple more weeks, and then...nothing! Very glad I worked so many hours the last two weeks as I got a rather large check yesterday!
    This whole thing stinks honestly and I know I'm going to miss work within a couple of days! As I told my wife last night, I really do like my job and look forward to every working day, gives me a purpose to get up every day! Just hoping this will pass rather quickly!

Remember you heard it from me first. :'(

I had hoped that Florida would be different because our governor was the one who ordered everyone home up here. I would imagine after working 60 hour weeks you could use a break.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Carvana sent me an email asking me to obtain a DEALER payoff letter from Hyundai. I sent HFS an email asking for that.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Voice of reason or voice of delusion?! :D
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Carvana does not seem to be offering as much (or close to) my payout at this point, so I won'd be finding out how the process works. way easier if you have the title outright, but also not too bad if you bought but have a loan still.

took a couple mile walk through a couple neighborhoods before with the princess. so of course looked at the cars along the way. Passed a newer Wrangler. 2 door, red. Hardtop. I liked it. then a little later, same car but lime green. which I also liked a lot. Decided that would be a fun car to have for my next one. Princess approved .Wife probably won't like it, but she wouldn't ride in it much anyway.

Just has to be a 2 door. I don't like the Unlimited 4 door extra long ones.

out of curiosity, I checked 2 local dealers, expecting to find what I did. out of 99 Wranglers listed, 95 of them were 4 door unlimited. And almost positive that 0 of them were manual transmissions.

one thing I did notice, Jeep seems to have a huge upcharge. the AT option is about $2,600 I think Seems steep these days. Wonder if you have to order special if you want a handshaker. I really though they would at least stock a few on this of all cars.

stickguy said:

took a couple mile walk through a couple neighborhoods before with the princess. so of course looked at the cars along the way. Passed a newer Wrangler. 2 door, red. Hardtop. I liked it. then a little later, same car but lime green. which I also liked a lot. Decided that would be a fun car to have for my next one. Princess approved .Wife probably won't like it, but she wouldn't ride in it much anyway.

Just has to be a 2 door. I don't like the Unlimited 4 door extra long ones.

Does your daughter share your taste in cars or is she just hoping you’ll hand it down eventually?

she just happened to like it. There will be no handing down. Unless I kick the bucket and she can fight her brother for it.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Bought a power washer today. Finally caved after ages of wanting one - a Ryobi 1900 PSI unit.

We had gorgeous weather this afternoon, so I gave it a whirl and washed and waxed both the i3 and the Outback. The kiddo did some sidewalk chalk and my wife played with the dog. Felt normal for a change.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Went for a drive in the Tundra this morning to listen to some podcasts. All interstate, mostly around 75 MPH. The trip computer indicated 15.9 MPG for the trip, which is really close to the rated 17 MPG highway, and probably pretty good considering I goosed it on the on-ramps.
  • tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    Curious, for those that watch lease deals have you ever looked at the Toyota Land Cruiser? I’m guessing they don’t lease well even though they have strong resale value.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934

Bought a power washer today. Finally caved after ages of wanting one - a Ryobi 1900 PSI unit.

We had gorgeous weather this afternoon, so I gave it a whirl and washed and waxed both the i3 and the Outback. The kiddo did some sidewalk chalk and my wife played with the dog. Felt normal for a change.

Ha. Just bought a new one for myself a couple of days ago. Have yet to open it. Its supposed to peak at 3200 psi. Strongest electric I could find.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I think mine is a Ryobi. I don't think I've used it in years.
    qbrozen said:

Ha. Just bought a new one for myself a couple of days ago. Have yet to open it. Its supposed to peak at 3200 psi. Strongest electric I could find.
    My BIL bought one like that because he wants to use it to clean his boat. I told him to double check the tips before washing the car...might end up needing a new paint job.

Curious, for those that watch lease deals have you ever looked at the Toyota Land Cruiser? I’m guessing they don’t lease well even though they have strong resale value.

They definitely do not lease well. Not a volume car by any stretch and no issues moving them.
    we have a 1900PSI until too I think. works well. got it a year back. Wife will fire it up tomorrow to clean some siding that is green and wash off the patio furniture. Also a few spots on the pool desk still need it.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    I’ve had a power washer for over a decade. Forget the brand, it’s yellow. I’ve never used it on a car, just on the deck, the exposed foundation wall, and to clean the gutters. I am always concerned about doing damage to whatever is on the receiving end.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6