Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

Can someone more knowledgeable than I tell me if CarMax messed up pricing this?

https://www.carmax.com/car/18416251

I did a quick look and it seems under priced by $5k-$10k...

$93,555 new... but, of course, it's five years old.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    corvette said:

Walked a decent bit this afternoon. Cut through the overflow lot for the local Mitsubishi dealer. It looks like they dump their trade-ins there--I think the same group owns the local Kia dealership, so some of them may be from there. Here was part of the lineup, all domestic iron except for a Sportage. There was also a most-recent generation Pontiac Grand Am in a different line and there's a most-recent Galant and a ~2000-ish Accord that's been sitting there on jack stands for months. I wonder what they were traded in on.

Those look like they might be headed for auction, once those start back up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    Here we go. Price is more dear, but given the year and miles, seems a worthwhile trade up.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    Find a slightly needy V70R and DIY it?

Maybe I’m biased because I love those!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    tifighter said:

Can someone more knowledgeable than I tell me if CarMax messed up pricing this?

https://www.carmax.com/car/18416251

I did a quick look and it seems under priced by $5k-$10k...

Seems okay for a GTS. PDK, meh. But honestly I'd rather have this, even though it's a base car-

718 Cayman.

Yeah it's a base car, yeah it's the 4 cyl. But spec'd just right, low miles, no issues. Don't think I didn't give this one a think earlier in the week...
    That's cool... but, if I'm going used, I want a six cylinder manual.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Good luck finding one.

Are the newer 718models safe from the dreaded IMS issue? After what, a decade, did they finally redesign the engine, or still just trying to bandaid the part to hide the Design flaw?

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Here we go. Price is more dear, but given the year and miles, seems a worthwhile trade up.
    I test drove an almost identical one to that, before I ended up getting my wife the X3 loaner.

My impressions: A lot of power, but nowhere near the tight handling of the X3. Most of that I would attribute to the very light steering effort (plus body roll). You can drive that with one finger on the wheel. Almost three years ago, when I drove one.. it was in the low '30s, IIRC.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I do Like that one, colors and equipment. Not sure I would ever really trust it. Kinda like having a pet tiger. Might seem cool and friendly, but you always wonder, when is it going to bite you in the keister?

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    stickguy said:

Find a slightly needy V70R and DIY it?

Maybe I’m biased because I love those!

They bring crazy money now. Miled up wagons can be well over $15k.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    qbrozen said:

@28firefighter, love that color combo, but 20k more miles than the one I found. I'm not sure what a b&o stereo adds. I don't listen to music nearly as loud as I used to. I used to care about the stereo but have lately found not so much.

@stickguy, yes the Caddy is too slow. Even a T5 volvo is quicker.

@tjc78, YES! Isn't that shocking? SRT8s are more expensive than any of the luxo brands. Crazy.

I was stunned. I thought they would have come down near the levels of the other ones you posted.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    What's the story with this MINI? It is a Cooper S Clubman which seems intriguing. Are these difficult/expensive to service? Unreliable?

https://www.morristownmini.com/used-Morristown-2017-MINI-Cooper+S-Clubman-WMWLN9C5XH2E48661

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Looks like no xenons, and who knows what else is missing (the options list on those is pretty long). I’ve not heard great things about reliability. My friend who used to be a mechanic at the MINI dealer didn’t have great things to say about them.
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

@28firefighter, love that color combo, but 20k more miles than the one I found. I'm not sure what a b&o stereo adds. I don't listen to music nearly as loud as I used to. I used to care about the stereo but have lately found not so much.

@tjc78, YES! Isn't that shocking? SRT8s are more expensive than any of the luxo brands. Crazy.

I was stunned. I thought they would have come down near the levels of the other ones you posted.
    why not just get a regular Hemi JGC? should still be plenty fast, and if you want it faster, easy enough to hop it up! besides, these are tall truck/utes, so how the heck fast do you really want to go in one? Got the Charger if you feel the need for speed!

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

What's the story with this MINI? It is a Cooper S Clubman which seems intriguing. Are these difficult/expensive to service? Unreliable?

https://www.morristownmini.com/used-Morristown-2017-MINI-Cooper+S-Clubman-WMWLN9C5XH2E48661

well, at least it is an S so has the "big" motor. and sports seats. No pano roof though, big minus. and no navi or car play, so pretty "old school". Not horribly expensive for 3 YO so that is something, and miles are reasonable.

• Options
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

why not just get a regular Hemi JGC? should still be plenty fast, and if you want it faster, easy enough to hop it up! besides, these are tall truck/utes, so how the heck fast do you really want to go in one? Got the Charger if you feel the need for speed!
    7 secs 0-60.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Private seller has a 2009 ML63 with 77k miles for $15k. I’m not sure that makes sense, however, if you can get a 3-yr newer ML550 that is actually quicker and gets better mileage for similar money. Maybe I’m missing something.

• Options
    a pretty cheap JGC

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/785805179/overview/

and this one looks nice. newer with fewer miles. pretty well equipped with modern conveniences. and seems to have 345 HP?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/805257406/overview/

• Options
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

7 secs 0-60.
    you planning to take it up to Englishtown on the weekends?

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    mjfloyd1 said:

I can’t remember who is looking at Stingers but this one is two miles from my house so maybe a couple hours from Cincinnati. It says GT2 RWD

https://www.royalontheeastside.com/used/Kia/2018-Kia-Stinger-e958bb390a0e0a6b32d029a12d645f9d.htm

Thanks, but the 2018 Stingers had some issues, not the least of which being substandard interior trim.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited May 2020
    stickguy said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

7 secs 0-60.
    you planning to take it up to Englishtown on the weekends?
    Seriously? Maybe back in the '80s; today a seven second 0-60 time is bog slow. Even my wife's X1 does it in a tick over six seconds. Five to six seconds is average at best. "Fast" only describes cars that hit 60 mph in the low four second range or better, and I'm being charitable.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

7 secs 0-60.
    I see 6.5 in most tests, but I agree. Stunningly slow, considering the HP.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Those previous-gen Caddy CTS base models came with the 3.0 V-6 for some reason known only to GM. It was a dog of an engine unless it had/has a turbo bolted on. It was the standard V6 in the 2010 Buick Lacrosse as well and got replaced after a year or so with the 3.6 because it was even too slow in that.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    corvette said:

Looks like no xenons, and who knows what else is missing (the options list on those is pretty long). I’ve not heard great things about reliability. My friend who used to be a mechanic at the MINI dealer didn’t have great things to say about them.

The F5x Mini's with the B48 I4 are pretty reliable; even the pocket protector equipped geeks at Consumer Reports like them. The earlier cars like my Clubman beater usually need several chronic fixes around 100k; my Clubman had already had everything done(except for a VANOS solenoid) when I bought it.

• Options
    The ZHP goes in tomorrow for the the passenger side takata airbag recall. Anyone want to take a bets as to (1) if they find anything else wrong, (2) how much they estimate it would be to fix it?

Note: it just had a clean bill of health from my Indy.
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389

The ZHP goes in tomorrow for the the passenger side takata airbag recall. Anyone want to take a bets as to (1) if they find anything else wrong, (2) how much they estimate it would be to fix it?

3k in misc seals, gaskets, the guibo and hoses.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    Now THIS is the xc60 to have.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Sold.
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556

I need to get mine done too. Thanks for the reminder.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

7 secs 0-60.
    I see 6.5 in most tests, but I agree. Stunningly slow, considering the HP.
    I think that's when they went to the 8-spd in 2014. Ones before that are a good bit slower. 6.5 is actually not all too bad. Just not sure it fits my portfolio. The XC60 seems a better way to go, IMHO. And, honestly, I keep going back to the Porsche because I've never had one. Lately, I feel like I should aim to check brands off the list. ;)

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    qbrozen said:

I say this as a former T6 owner - if that hits 60 in under 6 seconds, I'll be shocked.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    tifighter said:

qbrozen said:

I say this as a former T6 owner - if that hits 60 in under 6 seconds, I'll be shocked.
    The R-des came with the Polestar tune. Reported 0-60 time of 5.7s.

• Options

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Snazzy. And the ultra rare, V6 model!

• Options
    Yeah, I had that tune too. Sure Volvo, okay. Still, it should be a good daily driver, and passing power is good with this set up.

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    Seems suspiciously cheap. That accident Reported by auto check must have been a doozy!

• Options

That all depends on the dealer; if the SA is on commission look out!

• Options
    Before someone else posts it, my response is just no-

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Tops a bit off when folded, since the shape of the butt isn’t good for supporting it, but overall I think the car looks a lot better!

• Options
    stickguy said:

qbrozen said:
    Seems suspiciously cheap. That accident Reported by auto check must have been a doozy!
    Actually, its not cheap. Checking Manheim, it is about right. I'd actually offer $17k. I guess the hybrid is not very popular. Maybe it is something I should consider, although I'd imaging long-term reliability would still favor the v8.

• Options
    tifighter said:

Yeah, I had that tune too. Sure Volvo, okay. Still, it should be a good daily driver, and passing power is good with this set up.

5.7 is according to a magazine test. I didn't save it, so not sure where it was.

• Options

When mine went in for the airbags, they didn't do anything else but wash it. I think maybe they are sensitive to that.

On another note, right after @pensfan83 bought mine, I got a notice that there was a new, updated airbag, and mine needed to be replaced again. This was a good three to four years after the originals were replaced.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

When mine went in for the airbags, they didn't do anything else but wash it. I think maybe they are sensitive to that.

On another note, right after @pensfan83 bought mine, I got a notice that there was a new, updated airbag, and mine needed to be replaced again. This was a good three to four years after the originals were replaced.
    That’s how I knew I needed to check mine!
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    I'll have an extra expense but that's at my request if they'll oblige me.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    Dropping in a crate hemi?

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @qbrozen - fwiw, my brother has a 2014 or 2015 Q5 3.0T. He bought it new and I’d guess he has around 60k miles on it and hasn’t had any issues.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    Had the Outback in for 1 year maintenance. 5k miles. Probably 3000 off our norm because of COVID.

Only abnormality is some coolant needed to be added. Seems strange for 5k miles. Something to keep an eye on.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,305

Had the Outback in for 1 year maintenance. 5k miles. Probably 3000 off our norm because of COVID.

Only abnormality is some coolant needed to be added. Seems strange for 5k miles. Something to keep an eye on.

My Subaru dealer is emailing me weekly about coming in for service. I think we've put 3-4K on it since the last one, so I don't feel like I'm in too much of a hurry.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited May 2020
    @breld I forgot to answer an earlier question - I did not get a chance to drive a current TT yet. I only sat in the roadster to see if I would fit at all, which can be an issue at 6'2". I did. Plan was to come back and do a proper test drive, then the Z4 happened. Seems like if you liked your GTI, then you'd like the styled Golf R that is the TT. But get the roadster, okay? Nice ones here locally seem to be in the low 30's for a 17 with around 20k miles.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Thanks @tifighter!

Good insight that you fit well - I’m maybe an inch taller. But of course I figured if I was okay in the Miata most anything else would be okay!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y