Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @mjfloyd1,
    I got 46k, which I was very happy with. Their asking price is pretty close to what I paid when I bought it new(as a leftover model)..
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    breld said:

pensfan83 said:

I liked the manual M240i I drove a lot.

When was that, and what did you end up getting instead?
    Sometime last winter since I was on a business trip in Cleveland. I was bored so I went and test drove a one, it was a 2017 or 2018 CPO I believe. A very well balanced car and why I can understand the dilemma @roadburner faces. With a few mechanical modifications it offers a lot of performance for the dollar. When they eventually drop into my price bracket for a fun car, I'd strongly considering picking one up.

The ZHP was what I got instead
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    @pensfan83,
    Did you test drive in Westlake?
  • Options
    No, it was a dealer on the east side of the city. I can't remember the name but it was in or near Beeahwood because I stopped at Corky and Lenny's afterward (sorry @28firefighter ).

Westlake would have been closer to where I'm stationed and stay when I'm up there for work.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

found this one at a local dealer. Like the colors. Other than being an AT (and a 15 YO Audi) the price seems not too steep for the miles. FWD (less to break!) and in the details says DSG and Tiptronic in different places. I thought the FWD got the normal trans, but Andre would know for sure I assume.

I drove one when they first came out. My first experience with a DSG. Could tell the difference from a regular AT but it was still no manual trans.

https://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/used/Audi/2006-Audi-A3-cherry-hill-nj-dc49738a0a0e0ae743b91fb9e911019a.htm

All A3's got the DSG. I think Audi wasn't sure what to call the DSG transmissions, so for like a year they might have called them Triptronics, then S-Tronic. I still call them DSG's.

One of my favorite things is that when you brake with spirit it downshifts and rev matches that creates a nice winding/slowing down chorus out of the exhaust.
    All Audi/VW DSGs are Tiptronic, but not all Audi/VW Tiptronics are DSGs.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    We stayed at the Marriott on the same street as the BMW dealership for a couple of nights last weekend.
    Got tossed out of the guest room because our niece, husband, baby and 2 dogs were visiting.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    mjfloyd1 said:

Punch pending. Buying CRV touring for my daughter. Trading Audi RS7 honestly because I never drive it. I’ve only put 9000 miles on it in 4 years.

@qbrozen has helped a lot with auction number for the Audi.

9,000/4 is 2,250 miles a year. You need to get out more!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited September 2020
    pensfan83 said:

breld said:

pensfan83 said:

I liked the manual M240i I drove a lot.

When was that, and what did you end up getting instead?
    Sometime last winter since I was on a business trip in Cleveland. I was bored so I went and test drove a one, it was a 2017 or 2018 CPO I believe. A very well balanced car and why I can understand the dilemma @roadburner faces. With a few mechanical modifications it offers a lot of performance for the dollar. When they eventually drop into my price bracket for a fun car, I'd strongly considering picking one up.

The ZHP was what I got instead
    Can't beat the bang for your buck on a well taken care of ZHP!

I enjoyed my 228i for the short time I had it - since they're not as desired as the m235i/240i, they tend to be much more affordable, but that didn't keep me from often thinking of an upgrade to the 6 cylinder version (and I guess in a way, that's exactly what I did!)

I was pretty set on getting one to replace my Civic Type R, so I test drove several. That was the first sporty car that convinced me you didn't "have" to have a stick to have fun.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    pensfan83 said:

No, it was a dealer on the east side of the city. I can't remember the name but it was in or near Beeahwood because I stopped at Corky and Lenny's afterward (sorry @28firefighter ).

Westlake would have been closer to where I'm stationed and stay when I'm up there for work.

Ah, Corky and Lenny’s! A must-stop for us whenever we are anywhere near Cleveland. I had my Kidney transplant at the Cleveland Clinic so on my yearly checkups we always stop there. Not going to get there this year, sadly.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798

Ford for some reason slapped an OEM exhaust off a Focus on the Mustang I believe.

Well, they discontinued the Focus, so they had to do something with the parts bin! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    The great thing about a ZHP(aside from the fact it's a fantastic car) is that it's automotive equivalent of a certificate of deposit; you won't make any money owning it but you won't lose any either.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Congrats! Update that signature line.

I love the Land Cruiser/LX570 - they bring absolutely crazy money.

+1. Big Congrats!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Here are the pictures of the truck I sold to Vroom.
    https://www.vroom.com/inventory/ford-f-150-2017-1FTEW1EG5HFC43408

Pretty truck. But, either I'm way out of touch regarding pickup truck values are, or VROOM is going to be sitting on that truck for a long time. Is it me? Or, does that price seem to be $15K too high? Do they negotiate?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,395
    The ZHP is just so good.

So is Corky and Lenny’s.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    So getting Corky and Lenny's in the ZHP is pure bliss then, right?
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

Yeah, inventory levels are low overall, but for models like the GTI and Si, I think they're pretty much nonexistent.

Which reminds me of a thought I had the other day - I saw a new Sentra on the road and thought it was actually quite nice looking. Why doesn't Nissan try to revive the spirit of the old '90's SE-R again?

On a Nissan note, this new 400Z reveal should be interesting. The teasers look promising thus far. Toyota has left the door wide open for them to offer a manual.

Was not even aware that was coming.

Per C&D:
    Like its beastly brother, the Nissan GT-R, the 400Z is expected to be powered by a twin-turbocharged V-6. But, instead of the fire-breathing 565-hp 3.8-liter that’s under the hood of the GT-R, the 400Z will likely get the 300-hp 3.0-liter mill from the Infiniti Q60. It's also possible that high-performance NISMO variant could get the 400-hp version of that engine that's currently exclusive to the Q60 Red Sport 400.

I hope that is not true, for Nissan's sake. 300hp is not going to cut it, unless it is magically losing 1k lbs in the process.
    300 HP on a 400Z makes about as much sense as Nissan using their typical CVT transmission. Doesn't a 300Z from 10 years ago have more than 300 HP?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,395
    pensfan83 said:

So getting Corky and Lenny's in the ZHP is pure bliss then, right?

That would be a dream! I sense a photo opportunity next time you're in Cleveland.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    ronsteve said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

found this one at a local dealer. Like the colors. Other than being an AT (and a 15 YO Audi) the price seems not too steep for the miles. FWD (less to break!) and in the details says DSG and Tiptronic in different places. I thought the FWD got the normal trans, but Andre would know for sure I assume.

I drove one when they first came out. My first experience with a DSG. Could tell the difference from a regular AT but it was still no manual trans.

https://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/used/Audi/2006-Audi-A3-cherry-hill-nj-dc49738a0a0e0ae743b91fb9e911019a.htm

All A3's got the DSG. I think Audi wasn't sure what to call the DSG transmissions, so for like a year they might have called them Triptronics, then S-Tronic. I still call them DSG's.

One of my favorite things is that when you brake with spirit it downshifts and rev matches that creates a nice winding/slowing down chorus out of the exhaust.
    All Audi/VW DSGs are Tiptronic, but not all Audi/VW Tiptronics are DSGs.
    Kind of like: All bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.
  • Options
    @graphicguy,
    I agree the truck is over priced but not by 15K.
    Only 5000 Limited are made per year. It sounds like a lot until factor in that there about 900k F Series are sold per year.
    Not sure what you know about modern pickups, but they have lots of lux, tech and capability.
    Take the front seats for example. They have upgraded leather with heated, cooled and massage features.
    The 3 lumbar and 2 massage areas have their own screen to adjust the levels.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Clued the wife in tonight that there is a pick up scheduled for Monday on the TLX. She has been stressed with work so I was trying not to bother her with my schemes plans. She did not seem perturbed by it though.

I won't be discussing potential replacements for a while yet.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    oh, mentioned possible GTI in the future to my son (as related to his winter tire/wheel set). He said better buy it quick because he was about to list for sale. Really not an issue. If I stay around here, the car will never sniff the snow anyway. And if we moved up north, I would either get something else, or it would hibernate in the garage when the roads were not dry and free of salt.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    stickguy said:
    I was just thinking today that if I were to get another Mustang it would have to be a GT350. It would have to be a new one though as I wouldn’t trust any milage on a used one not to be abuse. Who would buy that car and get rid of it in 4K miles?

I bet it goes for close to original sticker.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    It happens. I dumped my Mustang after 3k miles.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    GT350R is a pretty hardcore car. Kind of strange that the owner downgraded the tires.
    Should have just bought a GT350 instead.
    Going to look at some potential future vehicles on Sunday.
    One of the places has a GT350 in the showroom.
    Will ask the wife what she thinks. She has no idea what it is. ;)
  • Options
    highly unlikely I ever get one of these, but if I did, it would definitely be a Non-R GT350

• Options
    edited September 2020
    stickguy said:

highly unlikely I ever get one of these, but if I did, it would definitely be a Non-R GT350

Yeah, me too. I would want AC and a back up camera.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited September 2020
    corvette said:

Can’t sell mine now, I just put some Pilot Sports on it today. Couldn’t stand the whine of the OE Pirelli tires.

• Options

corvette said:

Can’t sell mine now, I just put some Pilot Sports on it today. Couldn’t stand the whine of the OE Pirelli tires.
    I put new Continentals on the Mustang right after I got it. The OE tires were six years old and dry rotted.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

breld said:

Yeah, inventory levels are low overall, but for models like the GTI and Si, I think they're pretty much nonexistent.

Which reminds me of a thought I had the other day - I saw a new Sentra on the road and thought it was actually quite nice looking. Why doesn't Nissan try to revive the spirit of the old '90's SE-R again?

On a Nissan note, this new 400Z reveal should be interesting. The teasers look promising thus far. Toyota has left the door wide open for them to offer a manual.

Was not even aware that was coming.

Per C&D:
    Like its beastly brother, the Nissan GT-R, the 400Z is expected to be powered by a twin-turbocharged V-6. But, instead of the fire-breathing 565-hp 3.8-liter that’s under the hood of the GT-R, the 400Z will likely get the 300-hp 3.0-liter mill from the Infiniti Q60. It's also possible that high-performance NISMO variant could get the 400-hp version of that engine that's currently exclusive to the Q60 Red Sport 400.

I hope that is not true, for Nissan's sake. 300hp is not going to cut it, unless it is magically losing 1k lbs in the process.
    300 HP on a 400Z makes about as much sense as Nissan using their typical CVT transmission. Doesn't a 300Z from 10 years ago have more than 300 HP?
    Yep

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    heck, if it was dark blue and had a stick, I would take it!

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    Yeah. Strangely, I agree. Something seems off about the blue color, but it works with the top down.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned this beauty on Cars & Bids....

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/30XgWpmM/2012-mercedes-benz-e63-amg-wagon

The interior of that thing just astounds me! The shades in there are so varied and so subtle. I like it... even with the silver exterior.
  • Options
    xwesx said:

The interior of that thing just astounds me! The shades in there are so varied and so subtle. I like it... even with the silver exterior.

Sheesh, $38.5k with three days left, on an eight year old Benz. Awfully brave of them to include a (staged) photo of the rear facing child seat. It's easy to overlook, but the passenger seat was moved pretty far forward for that shot. Hoovie's wife nixed their E-series wagon for that very reason.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Price isn't insane yet as those are cult cars, but the seemingly highly processed pics turn me off a bit, and I'm not a fan of the grille.

Not sure why there'd be an aversion to AWD, at least for those in rainy climates.
    xwesx said:

• Options
    stickguy said:

Stop trying to steal my wife’s cars!
    Alright, here you go. Gets 50% of what you asked for. ;b
    https://sutherlinnissanmallofga.com/vehicle-details/used-2008-bmw-3-series-convertible-328i-WBAWL13518PX20390

• Options
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

https://sutherlinnissanmallofga.com/vehicle-details/used-2008-bmw-3-series-convertible-328i-WBAWL13518PX20390
    No price, and Monaco Blue is kind of bland.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    stickguy said:

oh, mentioned possible GTI in the future to my son (as related to his winter tire/wheel set). He said better buy it quick because he was about to list for sale. Really not an issue. If I stay around here, the car will never sniff the snow anyway. And if we moved up north, I would either get something else, or it would hibernate in the garage when the roads were not dry and free of salt.

I can’t see you moving north. Who leaves NJ for worse winters?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

I love those colors. That car hits the right buttons. Blue over beige, RWD, manual, miles reasonable. What else do you want? I clicked on the instant price button, but not willing to fork over my email to get it. But, must be less than $10,497!

the giant bumper scrape is not a good sign, but it also hasn't been processed yet. If the rest of the car is clean, not a huge deal, but I suspect you will find other rough patches on it.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

I can’t see you moving north. Who leaves NJ for worse winters?
    People that want to pay less in taxes, and whose wife wants to go?

• Options
    Lol, gotcha. Yeah, makes sense now.

I was surprised the new house taxes are “only” $13,500. I was figuring double the $8,000 we pay now.

• Options
    Gloucester county. Cheaper than Camden. So is Burlington.

• Options
    Yes, I just looked up water and sewer. That’s cheaper too. No CCMUA!

Wife is putting together a furniture budget OMG.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    stickguy said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

I love those colors. That car hits the right buttons. Blue over beige, RWD, manual, miles reasonable. What else do you want? I clicked on the instant price button, but not willing to fork over my email to get it. But, must be less than $10,497!

the giant bumper scrape is not a good sign, but it also hasn't been processed yet. If the rest of the car is clean, not a huge deal, but I suspect you will find other rough patches on it.
    I believe it is likely a “6-speed auto.” But they do say manual w/OD. Lol. So who knows? Price on autotrader is $9997.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Yes, I just looked up water and sewer. That’s cheaper too. No CCMUA!

Wife is putting together a furniture budget OMG.

big house, the furniture budget is going to make the mortgage look cheap.

just use what you have, but space it out more!

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    Furniture budget? Yikes! No toys for you! Or you hold out like jmonroe and face having your wife chase you around the dining room table.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

I believe it is likely a “6-speed auto.” But they do say manual w/OD. Lol. So who knows? Price on autotrader is $9997.
    I never trust any listing without seeing it in pictures. But could go either way. RWD bodes well though for being a stick!

10 grand, not terrible but that one would need a serious PPI since it easily could be hiding a lot of gotchas.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    stickguy said:

Could you get an Eos with a stick?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    you can and I have seen them. No clue what model years though. Here is one example (just overpriced)

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/816207031/overview/

this one is not bad, just more miles, but not excessive.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/818519259/overview/

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    Those early 2.0t engines in the Eos are generally troublesome and consume oil. Later year models 2012(?) have revised engines that held up better. Audi suffered from the same issue. My 06 Passat 2.0t used oil at 900 mi/qt at 13000 mi when I bought it and 700 mi/qt when I traded it at 59K, just before the warranty expired. I was afraid expensive repairs were soon to follow.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav