Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008

mjfloyd1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

45 years ago this very night the Edmund Fitzgerald sailed into history.

And became a delicious beer.
    I notice a lot of things on this discussion end up referencing beer. LOL

.....................or appliances ;)
    ...................where beer is kept.🤣
    .......full circle....back to beer! :D
    I may need an intervention. I went to pick up salmon dinners last night and came back with 12 bottles of Pinot Noir and 12 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon and three bottles of cask strength Makers Mark...as well as the salmon dinners
    My dinner plans went sideways last night. For about 30 minutes before I left to get take out I heard constant sirens and emergency vehicles rushing down the road.

The problem was that a bunch of rubberneckers had parked on the bridge to get a look. They were running in traffic to get the best view. I almost clocked one as he ran blindly in front of me. Traffic detouring from the site started coming up our little road and I had to back up at the next intersection as a big garbage hauler tried to make the sharp turn.
    Sounds like a scene out of Chicago Fire or something....are sure they weren't filming?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,511
    Conventional (by which I mean 40 year old technology) mattress systems are on borrowed time. The new stuff is so much cheaper and perfectly comfortable, in my opinion. That said, I still have a water bed down in the valley. I've never had a "real" mattress in my life. Go figure.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,433
    edited November 2020

That 3.0L twin turbo is screaming fast for an obsolete car. What do the other brands have that are superior? A different radio knob or better cell phone interface? While a lot of Nissan products haven’t been updated for a while, sometime I think reviewers nit pick to justify their existence.

Screaming fast? Umm... no. 0-60 in 5.0 seconds is only a tenth of a second quicker than a G20 330i- which has a 2,0 liter single turbo four. The Red Sport does manage 4.5 seconds for the same sprint, but it's still a tick slower than my six year old M235i.
    Dynamically the Q50 lags far behind its competitors from Alfa, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Genesis, Jaguar, Kia, Mercedes, and Volvo. Car and Driver ranks the Q50 at 17th in its class, and I'd be inclined to agree.
    It's not nit-picking, it's a fact. When I can have a 3er, a G70, or a Stinger GT2 for similar or less money the Q50 isn't even a tiny part of the discussion.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,733
    when my daughter was moving the last time, she no longer had a bed (the old one got left behind in her breakup). so, we did some research (some comparisons, and a lot of Amazon review reading). The brand we picked was highly regarded, and was on a big sale. and the bed frame she liked was quite affordable, and when we got it, was very well made and substantial. One piece was about $100, and the other one $200. But the whole set, delivered to the house, was not much over $300. She was on a budget, and was not all that picky.

Turned out to be very comfortable. I liked it too when I tried it out. So when my son bought his house, he got the same mattress (different but similar frame) for his guest room. And after sleeping on the 3-4 nights, I could live with one for my everyday bed.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,021
    edited November 2020

The Red Sport does manage 4.5 seconds for the same sprint, but it's still a tick slower than my six year old M235i.

well, to be fair, as far as this stat, the RS is already 5 yrs old, so not like it is so much newer than your car, and it obviously is not intended to be a competitor 2’er. You’d have to look at the M340. Now THAT car blows the RS off the road.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,163
    After my bad experience with a TempurPedic I am pretty turned off by foam mattresses. I look on them as similar to one-size-fits-all clothing, or shoes made only in medium widths. If it happens to work for you as part of the majority, great, but if you have any special requirements they will not be for you.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,993
    edited November 2020

That 3.0L twin turbo is screaming fast for an obsolete car. What do the other brands have that are superior? A different radio knob or better cell phone interface? While a lot of Nissan products haven’t been updated for a while, sometime I think reviewers nit pick to justify their existence.

Screaming fast? Umm... no. 0-60 in 5.0 seconds is only a tenth of a second quicker than a G20 330i- which has a 2,0 liter single turbo four. The Red Sport does manage 4.5 seconds for the same sprint, but it's still a tick slower than my six year old M235i.
    Dynamically the Q50 lags far behind its competitors from Alfa, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Genesis, Jaguar, Kia, Mercedes, and Volvo. Car and Driver ranks the Q50 at 17th in its class, and I'd be inclined to agree.
    It's not nit-picking, it's a fact. When I can have a 3er, a G70, or a Stinger GT2 for similar or less money the Q50 isn't even a tiny part of the discussion.
    One thing you forgot. Those cars all may have similar MSRPs, but you will pay much less for the Q50. They are heavily discounted. For some the slight loss of driving dynamics and outdated tech isn’t a big deal when you are saving thousands.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    ab348 said:

After my bad experience with a TempurPedic I am pretty turned off by foam mattresses. I look on them as similar to one-size-fits-all clothing, or shoes made only in medium widths. If it happens to work for you as part of the majority, great, but if you have any special requirements they will not be for you.

I guess I am normal then....I love our TempurPedic! :p

• Options
    tjc78 said:

One thing you forgot. Those cars all may have similar MSRPs, but you will pay much less for the Q50. They are heavily discounted. For some the slight loss of driving dynamics and outdated tech isn’t a big deal when you are saving thousands.
    Excellent point tjc....but, I wonder, what about resale value? Will it hold its value as much as an Audi, BMW etc., and if it is 5 years old technologically now....what will it be like in 4, 5 or 6 years? It might be a hard car to trade-in. Especially if it gets traded in early, which happened here.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    qbrozen said:

The Red Sport does manage 4.5 seconds for the same sprint, but it's still a tick slower than my six year old M235i.

well, to be fair, as far as this stat, the RS is already 5 yrs old, so not like it is so much newer than your car, and it obviously is not intended to be a competitor 2’er. You’d have to look at the M340. Now THAT car blows the RS off the road.
    I was just pointing out that any Q50 isn't exceptionally quick. And yes, the M340 is on an entirely different level.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    edited November 2020
    tjc78 said:

I'll agree 100% concerning the German competitors(in which case I'd still take a 2019 CPO 330i M Sport over a new Q50). However, in the case of the G70 and Stinger GT2 I'd bet you could pick one up for the same price as a discounted Q50- if not for less- and either is a much better drive than a Q50.
    If I'm paying north of $45k for a sports sedan, it darn well better have excellent driving dynamics and up-to-date tech, but to each his own.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670
    edited November 2020

I've seen a drastic increase in Ohio State Patrol activity on the interstates. They seem to be using active patrolling where they try to slip up on a speeder or someone committing a driving error. Rarely now do I see them sitting waiting for someone to fall into their laser or radar cone.

Saw several today making the journey to IKEA near GG-land.

You were just a few minutes from my humble abode. You could have stopped by for a Modelo or a Basil Hayden!

I could have given you a tour of my new Washer and Dryer.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,773
    driver100 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

45 years ago this very night the Edmund Fitzgerald sailed into history.

And became a delicious beer.
    I notice a lot of things on this discussion end up referencing beer. LOL

.....................or appliances ;)
    ...................where beer is kept.🤣
    .......full circle....back to beer! :D
    I may need an intervention. I went to pick up salmon dinners last night and came back with 12 bottles of Pinot Noir and 12 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon and three bottles of cask strength Makers Mark...as well as the salmon dinners
    My dinner plans went sideways last night. For about 30 minutes before I left to get take out I heard constant sirens and emergency vehicles rushing down the road.

The problem was that a bunch of rubberneckers had parked on the bridge to get a look. They were running in traffic to get the best view. I almost clocked one as he ran blindly in front of me. Traffic detouring from the site started coming up our little road and I had to back up at the next intersection as a big garbage hauler tried to make the sharp turn.
    Sounds like a scene out of Chicago Fire or something....are sure they weren't filming?

It was more like one of those hidden video comedy shows where they hire people to do idiotic things for laughs.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

I wasn’t timing the one I drove but it sure felt as if it took off like a scalded dog. Maybe the turbo kick made it feel faster off the line.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    5 sec 0-60 is fast. I’d bet that 99% of people would never use all of that anyway.

As farmer said, it moves quick whenever you need it to.

• Options
    If I was in that market I wouldn't consider an Infiniti anything-model, because it's Nissan, because they haven't been investing in the brand, because they don't seem to know what to do with it, because the company is in constant turmoil, and because who knows what the future will hold for all of it.

• Options
    I must be in that 1%...

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,253
    Heck, my car is sub-5 seconds, too (4.6 at 40K miles per C&D). Did I mention it's a 4300lb AWD station wagon with a stand up hood ornament? Kind of a sleeper, maybe.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,253
    My sister has a foam mattress in her spare bedroom - no doubt much cheaper than a TempurPedic. It's very "warm" - maybe nice in a cold room, but when the heat is always on in that house, takes a long time to fall asleep. It's also quite soft.

I have a Serta iSeries 2000, which is a hybrid. The cooling works, and it is quite firm, which I find prevents overnight aches as I become more of a broken down old man. I also have a fancy adjustable base to complete that role.
    ab348 said:

• Options
    fintail said:

Heck, my car is sub-5 seconds, too (4.6 at 40K miles per C&D). Did I mention it's a 4300lb AWD station wagon with a stand up hood ornament? Kind of a sleeper, maybe.

I think we found my Sport model was .02 seconds faster....your hood ornament adds to the drag. :)

• Options

I've seen a drastic increase in Ohio State Patrol activity on the interstates. They seem to be using active patrolling where they try to slip up on a speeder or someone committing a driving error. Rarely now do I see them sitting waiting for someone to fall into their laser or radar cone.

Saw several today making the journey to IKEA near GG-land.

You were just a few minutes from my humble abode. You could have stopped by for a Modelo or a Basil Hayden!

I could have given you a tour of my new Washer and Dryer.
    Basil Hayden is good stuff, I'm almost out! I also really like the Four Roses Single Barrel.

My new drink obsession is a take on an old fashioned from Capital Grille (They called in an In Fashion)

Bourbon, splash of Grand Marnier, couple dashes of black walnut bitters and an Amarena cherry. So good. I made some for friends last night with the Four Roses and everyone went crazy for it.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,666

I must be in that 1%...

But, are you in the top 1%?😎

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    someone has to be in the 1%. And unless it is the $ version, no company caters to you! Heck, I would have preferred our RDX with a manual trans, and I don't expect Acura to care that I am an outlier. Probably people out there that still don't like power windows and want cranks instead, and won't be getting them.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

I guess I am normal then....I love our TempurPedic! :p
    I have a new TempurPedic mattress and adjustable bed frame for legs and head. I sleep great. I bought the upgraded mattress system and frame and selected the medium mattress. I paid $3,700 after a $800 discount and did not pay any sales tax because I had an RX from my doctor for my bad back.

Remember, there are many models of mattresses and frames. Mind includes a night light and massage for head, back and legs.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Got the gear set up in an extra bedroom. Need to put up room treatments, do some cable management and decorate it as my music room.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0t0n2l2Xw792JW38qg34HyQEQ#Home
  • Options
    As we all know, there is more to it than numbers. Not matter how much I explain the ML63 is significantly quicker than the Charger, the kids always want me to drive them in the Charger, numbers and comfort be damned. They prefer the Charger's noises, looks, and tire-smoking capability.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,012
    qbrozen said:

As we all know, there is more to it than numbers. Not matter how much I explain the ML63 is significantly quicker than the Charger, the kids always want me to drive them in the Charger, numbers and comfort be damned. They prefer the Charger's noises, looks, and tire-smoking capability.

Did you get the ML63 sorted out?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    edited November 2020
    Michaell said:

We've used Wayfair for smaller items and accessories.

Still use brick and mortar for larger furniture items like beds and sofas (Basset for our latest order).

Us too. Bought a small wine cabinet and some end tables from Wayfair. Bathroom cabinets too. Mainly because such items at furniture stores are often way too large for our compact space. We’ve also had good luck with Pier 1 for barstools and chairs. Sofa, dining table and chairs, and bed we bought locally.
    We got rid of almost all our furniture when we moved across the country.
    I prefer a regular mattress myself.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,036
    Wife wants to go look at / test drive mattresses this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

Got the gear set up in an extra bedroom. Need to put up room treatments, do some cable management and decorate it as my music room.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0t0n2l2Xw792JW38qg34HyQEQ#Home

Nice! I'm going to setup some vintage stuff I have in my office once I finish the rest of this place!

• Options
    Michaell said:

Wife wants to go look at / test drive mattresses this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

My experience is that foam mattresses seem very comfortable when you try them out for a few minutes in a store and often even when you first get them home. But over time the the one I had got progressively softer, to the point where I was in pain from being bent into a pretzel when I woke up in the morning.

• Options
    sda said:

qbrozen said:

Sure did. I sort of ignore the CEL and sort of check the oil before starting it. ;b

• Options
    edited November 2020
    qbrozen said:

I agree, but with cars in the same class I'll always pick the fastest car as long as it has commensurate handling and braking- which is why I'd go for a GT2 over a Q50 all day long. Ditto for a G70(V6). I'll take my 2er over an SUV that's just a bit quicker- especially since the CUV/SUV has become the "belly button" vehicle of the millennium.
    But I could be tempted by an X3 M Competition- just not over an M2C...

• Options

qbrozen said:

I agree, but with cars in the same class I'll always pick the fastest car as long as it has commensurate handling and braking- which is why I'd go for a GT2 over a Q50 all day long. Ditto for a G70(V6). I'll take my 2er over an SUV that's just a bit quicker- especially since the CUV/SUV has become the "belly button" vehicle of the millennium.
    But I could be tempted by an X3 M Competition- just not over an M2C...
    I think focusing on numbers has led me down the wrong path before, so I'm going to try to avoid that in the future. My 135 is a pretty good example. Very fast and capable (when it was working), but lacked any real soul. I think I enjoyed my 350z more. It is very similar to the Charger vs ML. Even though totally different classes, it is kind of like something that makes you go "whoa, this is fast and nice" vs something that simply makes you grin.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

If acceleration is your big desire you should buy a Tesla.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

sda said:

qbrozen said:

Sure did. I sort of ignore the CEL and sort of check the oil before starting it. ;b
    Maybe that's why the kids insist you drive them around in the Charger. :wink:

• Options
    Michaell said:

If I had a dirty mind, I would read more into that than you likely intended.

• Options
    the thing with numbers is, there are lots of them to pick from.

0-60 is fine, but most people look at the cars magazines (since that is where you can find them). And they do whatever they have to to get the lowest number. revving his and dumping the clutch, brake torqueing the trans, etc. Basically drag racing techniques. Which almost nobody will do to their own car, and you really can't do from a stop light on local roads.

that is why I like to look at the rolling start or 5-60 numbers (or consumers reports 0-60 since they test the way people normally drive). And when you eliminate the "abuse the car" starts, many "slow" cars are actually faster in real world use.

IMO 30-70 is way more useful than 0-60 too.

• Options
    stickguy said:

the thing with numbers is, there are lots of them to pick from.

0-60 is fine, but most people look at the cars magazines (since that is where you can find them). And they do whatever they have to to get the lowest number. revving his and dumping the clutch, brake torqueing the trans, etc. Basically drag racing techniques. Which almost nobody will do to their own car, and you really can't do from a stop light on local roads.

that is why I like to look at the rolling start or 5-60 numbers (or consumers reports 0-60 since they test the way people normally drive). And when you eliminate the "abuse the car" starts, many "slow" cars are actually faster in real world use.

IMO 30-70 is way more useful than 0-60 too.

I agree. I’ve driven a lot of 4cyl that were impressive off the line but faded as you got to highway speeds.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,322
    Michaell said:

Are you sure you are on the same page about what this means? :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Michaell said:
    kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

Are you sure you are on the same page about what this means? :p
    Try testing 0 to 60...let us know how it goes! :)

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    stickguy said:

5 sec 0-60 is fast. I’d bet that 99% of people would never use all of that anyway.

As farmer said, it moves quick whenever you need it to.

Hmm, that reminds of an Ausie joke that goes something like that. An Aussie farmer and a Texan farmer meet in a bar and start to have a yarn.

The Texan boasts “back at my farm I can jump in my car straight after breakfast, drive around the property and only just make it back to the Ranch in time for dinner”

The Aussie replies “yes mate, I used to have a car a bit like that too”
  • Options
    @graphicguy: What's your take on the Sony A9G? I love the OLED picture but I'm worried about image retention/burn-in. My Kuro Elite never had an issue with that but I've heard OLED panels are more susceptible to it- especially with static images and logos.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,307
    CNET says burn in is possible with OLED but not common with normal use. There is “image retention “ that goes away after a few minutes but it is not permanent. OLED blacks are great but brightness is not.
  • Options

@graphicguy: What's your take on the Sony A9G? I love the OLED picture but I'm worried about image retention/burn-in. My Kuro Elite never had an issue with that but I've heard OLED panels are more susceptible to it- especially with static images and logos.

The 9Gs are great OLED TVs. If I were in the market right now, that’s the one I’d be focusing on. Not sure how burn in has become an issue with OLEDs. Maybe the early ones had issues? I have heard of burn in, but never experienced or seen evidence of it. My oldest OLED is a curved LG, which is probably 4-5 years old. Not a spec of evidence of burn in. And, that’s the one that gets the most use in my den.

I have tweaked mine for different duty. LGs have ISF calibrations out of the box. So, although I’ve tried, I can’t really better the picture of LGs ISF choices. There is one for bright rooms, that looks great. There’s one for dark rooms (which is the choice I use for my home theater), which I’ve tinkered with a lot, and still can’t better LGs ISF choice.

@mjfloyd1 ...I like CNET’s reviews. But, I can’t for the life of me understand why/how they ended up with burn in issues. Again, maybe some earlier OLEDs? Not sure.

I believe as long as you don’t use ticker tape broadcasts (like news casts), I think you’ll be fine.

I’ve not had a Sony OLED in my home (which are really LG OLED panels with Sony signal processing). I’ve seen them in stores and they look good. After you get them home and set them up properly, I’ll assume they’ll look even better.

Overall, I’ve liked Sony TVs for quite some time. I like my LGs, too!

Bottom line, there are no wrong choices here.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited November 2020

@roadburner, I wouldn't worry about the OLED burn-in problem of the past; it should not be a concern with newer TVs. According to the (YouTube) experts, you should worry more about fading colors rather than burn-in as Sony's enhanced technology minimizes static images on the screen.

Besides, the Sony A9G OLED panels are made by LG and for best picture quality they recommend using professional calibration rather than a do-it-yourself approach. Enjoy!
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,307
    How is your eye @graphicguy ?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I agree with the others. Burn in on those panels really don’t seem to be an issue.

Busy day today! I mounted my projector, built and hung the screen and got all the electronics running. I still have a good bit more to do, like cleaning up the wiring, decor, and possibly paint (darker). I aligned everything pretty well considering I’ve never done it before. Very happy with the Epson projector and Silver Ticket 120” screen, nice and bright even on Eco. Can’t get pictures to work right now otherwise I’d have posted one.

If anything I’m not happy with is the projector mount. It’s not as robust as I had hoped and would like finer adjustments. I may swap it out at some point.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I spent the day watching Dustin Johnson’s historic Masters win. Great performance!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere