Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations (Archived)

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 51,545
    I agree with Fin. What I plan to do next year is revisit my retirement spreadsheet, and decide if there is enough extra to afford a splurge. Or more likely, if I am willing to work an extra year to cover it. And if so, might as well treat myself. I figure, once you have enough set aside (with a contingency cushion), no real reason to have extra! I would also be willing to take on a part time gig (like at Enterprise) to fund a luxury item.

at some point, if you have a lot of deferred retirement money hoarded, the MRDs pile up and you just get taxed heavily and have to figure out what to do with the rest, when may no longer be in position to enjoy it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,191
    jmonroe1 said:

pensfan83 said:

Michaell said:

@pensfan83 - how long do you plan to live in the house?

You should make changes that suit your lifestyle, not those of the next owner.

A safe bet is probably 10-12 years, we're not staying here as empty nesters. There is some rationale in converting as baths are and have been a thing of the past for at least a year. However I don't know that it's the logical move.
    I would prefer to renovate the master bath with a garden tub and replace a linen closet with a shower stall and preserve the main bath as a shower/tub.
    I know, it’s your house so you’re free to do with it as you want but why make it like the ugly green car on a dealers lot come selling time if you don’t HAVE to make that change?

jmonroe
    Kind of like a washer and a dryer with different colors!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

fintail said:

Especially after my dad passed, I started thinking more along the lines of "live a little". As long as you spend less than you make, and put away at least a little something, enjoy what you work for. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed, and these might be the good old days. Might as well do something while one is physically able and has cash flow - I've looked at it that way for both travel and slightly splurging on cars.

I think the facelift E is actually marginally cheaper than the prior style, as some features once optional are standard - but it might be a slight difference. In another 30 years, the 99% will probably all have autonomous anonymous transportation pods anyway, might as well enjoy something now.

driver100 said:

@fintail Another thing is that when you are living on a pension or on savings the cost of an expensive new car is a little harder to justify. If I trade in a 2017 E after 3 years....it will be worth half or less....say $35K, a new one has gone up in price from $72k to about $80k probably. If I can get by with a C Class the difference could be maybe $15k less.....and the car is nice to have but now more of a basic transportation thing....not used to go on trips as much. Not the same as working and my pay check keeping up with inflation etc., and though I like a car I can appreciate it isn't quite as important now.

I agree completely and have thought about this lately. We know of people who had $3 million worth of assets when they died, they had no a/c, ate at fast food joints, took condiments, burned cardboard and plywood in their fireplace, wouldn't redecorate their home.....lived very thriftily, and the money went to a niece and nephew who hardly ever visited. There is a balance, and you should enjoy whatever money you have....but a new E at this time wouldn't do much for me.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,223
    Working on my retirement plan today. lol.
    Flipping Camaros and day trading options. If I can make this work, I'd be pretty damned ecstatic. Taking a class tonight and tomorrow night for the whole options thing.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sdasda Member Posts: 7,165
    qbrozen said:

Flipping Camaros and day trading options. If I can make this work, I'd be pretty damned ecstatic. Taking a class tonight and tomorrow night for the whole options thing.

Careful with options. Those courses can paint a pretty picture of $$. I used to work with clients (discount brokerage) who were self directed. They started out small, had some success. Next they were trading larger positions and ultimately lost big. I saw that time and again. Though dated now a saying in the industry was 'Pigs don't drive Cadillacs'.

2021 VW Arteon SEL 4-motion, 2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech

sda said:

qbrozen said:

Careful with options. Those courses can paint a pretty picture of $$. I used to work with clients (discount brokerage) who were self directed. They started out small, had some success. Next they were trading larger positions and ultimately lost big. I saw that time and again. Though dated now a saying in the industry was 'Pigs don't drive Cadillacs'.
    Thanks. Luckily, I'm not greedy, and I don't have a massive salary to replace. This particular person I am working with is a good friend of a good friend. I am already on his feed and see interesting stuff going on. He seems to be happy with any and all profits, which fits my thinking as well. We'll see how it goes.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

sda said:

qbrozen said:

Though dated now a saying in the industry was 'Pigs don't drive Cadillacs'.
    The way I heard it was "Bulls make money, bears make money and pigs get slaughtered."
    It is so true. Trading can work, I have a friend who lives off trading. One day he lost $30000 on a stock and I felt bad for him, but he says he made $50000 the day before so no big deal....I can't live that way.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,751
    edited February 2021
    What I would like to do is build an eight car garage with a second floor workshop. I doubt that I will ever have the disposable income for that, however.
    They say no one lies on their deathbed wishing that they had spent more time at the office and in my case I am 100% certain that I won’t be wishing I had bought more practical and economical cars. If I had sufficient income to replace the cars on my side of the garage I would keep the Club Sport, replace the Wrangler with a Rubicon 392, replace the 2er with an M2 CS, and replace the Clubman with a new JCW Clubman.
    Oh yeah, I’d also replace the Speed Triple with a Trident 660.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

qbrozen said:

My retirement plan was simpler. Stop working and have places send me money every month so I can be lazy.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 8,240

What I would like to do is build an eight car garage with a second floor workshop. I doubt that I will ever have the disposable income for that, however.
    They say no one lies on their deathbed wishing that they had spent more time at the office and in my case I am 100% certain that I won’t be wishing I had bought more practical and economical cars. If I had sufficient income to replace the cars on my side of the garage I would keep the Club Sport, replace the Wrangler with a Rubicon 392, replace the 2er with an M2 CS, and replace the Clubman with a new JCW Clubman.
    Oh yeah, I’d also replace the Speed Triple with a Trident 660.

I’ve heard some folks dream even when they take a short nap. What I just heard from you sounds like you had one of those Rip Van Winkle full fledged sleeps. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,191
    edited February 2021
    driver100 said:

The way I heard it was "Bulls make money, bears make money and pigs get slaughtered."
    It is so true. Trading can work, I have a friend who lives off trading. One day he lost $30000 on a stock and I felt bad for him, but he says he made $50000 the day before so no big deal....I can't live that way.

That adage works for people playing short term trading game, when they try arbitraging on some market inefficiencies, what they see as excess optimism or pessimism in the stock. Basically, wait for a catalyst, good or bad, then close your position. I used to sell if I had a good quick gain, to protect my profits. However, over last couple of years I came to a conclusion that it is hogs who make most money, as long as they invest in the right company for right reasons. The biggest "losses" I've ever had are those quick sells on quick gains. The stock went double, tripple, tenfold after that. In essence, I only lost 99% on the worst stock I've ever owned, but I lost potential for multiples on stocks that I sold way too quickly. Now I let it ride for much longer and I can show gains like average of 350 percent on one stock (multiple lots, highest lot has 670 percent), 210 percent another (420 percent highest), or 370 on yet another (700 percent highest). Of course not all gains are so awesome, but only because I was a hog and resisted to sell after a double or triple (rather I actually bought more, sometimes after some kind of a selloff), I could get these kind of gains (well, I sold some, to my regret :wink: ).

2018 430i Gran Coupe

If it had a lotto level windfall, I’d build a garage like that too, with lifts and all the nest tools and equipment.

Then hire someone to teach me what to do with it all.

I couldn't build that if I wanted to. Not enough space at the top of my driveway.

Oh, I’d be moving ASAP. with enough land for it. Though it would look like a classic barn.

I’d build one like Mike Valentine’s- it looks like a colonial carriage house. His garage holds 12 cars- and even has a heated floor.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I’d build one like Mike Valentine’s- it looks like a colonial carriage house. His garage holds 12 cars- and even has a heated floor.

There he goes again. :(

jmonroe
    I was going 70 mph on the highway yesterday and about a 1980 Volvo came up behind me and went by at about 80 (speed limit there is 60). This one had the big square headlights that I like, most don't have those...may have been a problem in North America. Anyway, what a great looking little car....nice and square, I think I will have a dream about owning one of those;

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,684
    Those are Euro lights, never sold new on this side of the pond, but like with other period cars, probably an easy conversion.

The 1986 MY facelift of the 240 for the North American market received these large lights, which it would wear until the model was discontinued after MY 1993:

driver100 said:

I was going 70 mph on the highway yesterday and about a 1980 Volvo came up behind me and went by at about 80 (speed limit there is 60). This one had the big square headlights that I like, most don't have those...may have been a problem in North America. Anyway, what a great looking little car....nice and square, I think I will have a dream about owning one of those;

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,584
    My buddy who moved up-country built something like one of those shops being described. He has room for 8 vehicles inside (with 2 using 1 space with a storage lift) and one bay also has a work lift.

The Intrigue shown here has been replaced with a 2008 Silverado:

This pic shows how far ir runs to the rear:

This is the only pic I have of the opposite side of the rear:

This convertible is his current project:

The place is air conditioned and has an upper floor that his wife uses for furniture restoration/refinishing projects and additional storage, along with a bathroom.

He seems happy (and is even talking about either expanding it or building another structure) but I just don't get it. I don't know how much longer he'll be able to do things physically, and I don't know how you can focus on so many cars. I know that in my case after a time it changes from being enjoyable to being a burden to take care of them all. And given his remote location if/when it comes time to sell he will only realize a fraction of what he put into building it. But it's his life and his money.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,899
    edited February 2021

tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

More shenanigans from the old guys.

The same team that wrecked the company car wash may have destroyed a new diesel pick up. Seems one of them filled it with gas instead of diesel. Thanks to the marvels of modern computer safety systems the truck wouldn’t start, probably because the anti-knock sensor detected something was amiss. It had to be towed away.

Don't they give some kind of I.Q. Test to new employees?
    This could easily be a $10000 repair.
    Evidently, this happens more often than anyone might think.
    Why oh why, don't they make the filler tank and the nozzle on the gas and diesel pump so they don't fit into each other....even I can figure that they should do that?
    Well the diesel fuel nozzle is larger than the gas one so it won't fit in the fuel door of a gas car. But the gas filler nozzle will fit in the diesel vehicle since it is smaller. The only other solution would be to make them different shapes but then they would be harder to get it in the cars filler neck and people will complain about that.
    Diesel could be square or have wings on the side of it so you can't jam it into a gasser but fits a diesel.
    This is easily solvable.....................
    As I said before, that would require the diesel nozzle to be perfectly aligned with the vehicles filler neck resulting in people fiddling with the nozzle to get it to fit. This fiddling could also cause damage to the nozzle as well as the vehicles filler neck.
    It could be done. There could also be a sensor in the filler neck that could immediately notify the idiot.. err operator that they are putting the wrong fuel in.
    Please explain how in the world will a sensor in the filler neck be able to notify the idiot that he is putting in the wrong fuel when the fuel type is clearly labeled on the button you push to select the fuel type if not also on or near the nozzle to be used and that doesn't alert them. Look at the picture below, even if you put the gas nozzle in your vehicle you should be able to push the Diesel button to start fueling. And in that case it wouldn't work as the pump won't pump gas if you push diesel. Just remember you can get to the point where you can't save someone from themselves. After that all you can do is upload the results to YouTube.

I’m no scientist but I’m sure there enough of a chemical difference (PH, etc??) that a sensor could pick up on.
    My point is is that if you are putting gas in a diesel vehicle you are either oblivious to what fuel your vehicle takes or you are to unaware that your are using the nozzle for gas and pushing a button that's not labeled "diesel". If that's a case then a sensor warning you likely will not work.
    I hear you. It’s certainly not something any of us would do... but it gets done often enough that IMO there could be a mechanism to make it completely idiot proof. Think of a three prong electric outlet. You can’t put that in wrong even if you tried.

They could incorporate a valve that shuts off the moment the sensor recognizes the wrong fuel, cutting off the pump.

You seem to be over complicating the thing and how do you keep it from shutting off other pumps? But why stop there? Why not equip every car with a technician highly trained in pumping gas to do it for you?

As I said there is a point where you have to stop trying to save people from themselves. I do believe that this is the point. They will only learn after an expensive repair or two.
    I realize the rage is for big government to do everything, but there's a point where it needs to stop. We're there.

I think we’re waaay past there.
    You mean you'd toss out the lawsuit against a Texas power company for the negligent parents of an 11 year old boy that froze to death? Why not blame the power company? Didn't you get your "power is 100% guaranteed 100% of the time" statement?

*And for that matter I'm sure the Power Company is somehow responsible for the "extreme weather." :open_mouth::disappointed::worried:
    '21 BMW X3 M40i, '15 Audi S4, '16 Audi TTS, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

stickguy said:

Farmer, when I had the Elantra the oil change interval in the manual (I don't think it had a service monitoring system, just a light tied to miles or time) it was 3,750 severe or 6,500 normal. And their severe schedule was what is probably normal for most people. I was not taking it in that often (not that I had the car all that long). Not sure on my Sonata but I am sure I did that one more like 5-6,500

The Soul say 7500 OCI which is way more than I would ever go. What was strange was that when I called Kia corporate to ask what their OCI was for synthetic I was told “same for both synthetic and conventional”. That made no sense to me as I think 5,000 on synthetic is more than enough. If it can’t go any further than cheaper conventional, what’s the point?

Some months later I asked a Kia service tech what he thought and he rolled his eyes and said 5,000 was fine.

7,500 miles would be fine as well; used oil analysis indicated that a 10,000 mile interval was fine for the TGDI motor in my MS3- and it was running great when I sold it with 158,000 miles on the clock.

My son drives a 2009 328i. The car has been run on BMW TPT 5W-30 or BMW TPT 0W-30 since new- with a minimum OCI of 15,000 miles/12 months; here's what it looked like under the valve cover at 8 years/108,000 miles(and it's also still running strong):

Back in the day I changed the oil on my Plymouth religiously at 3k miles like they said you should. At 139k miles it threw the timing chain and bent a few valves. They had to pull everything apart and the mechanic said the motor was unusually clean for the milage.

40 some years later I still adhere to what some might say is excessive changes. I have a feeling that today’s high tolerance engines might need those frequent changes more than the old 60s stuff.
    Oil companies have admitted the motor oil from the 60's was snake oil compared to today's best motor oils. That's the main difference for not needing 3K change intervals. Part of me thinks Kia/Hyundai specifies short intervals solely to deny claims from people like @jmonroe @jmonroe1

At least, it increases the chances and odds they'll have more to reject.
    ab348 said:

I like it but there are a couple of big things that will keep me away from a new one:

1. The way they make everything optional (a heated steering wheel is like $1200 here) which drives up the price significantly beyond what is already an expensive car.
    2. Having to deal with a M-B service department.

You can get a lot of these instead for $1,200!

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDOUX-Driving-Touchscreen-Texting-Smartphone/dp/B07JYMHWPP/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=driving+gloves&qid=1614041193&sr=8-5
    ab348 said:

My buddy who moved up-country built something like one of those shops being described. He has room for 8 vehicles inside (with 2 using 1 space with a storage lift) and one bay also has a work lift.

This pic shows how far ir runs to the rear:

This is the only pic I have of the opposite side of the rear:

This convertible is his current project:

The place is air conditioned and has an upper floor that his wife uses for furniture restoration/refinishing projects and additional storage, along with a bathroom.

He seems happy (and is even talking about either expanding it or building another structure) but I just don't get it. I don't know how much longer he'll be able to do things physically, and I don't know how you can focus on so many cars. I know that in my case after a time it changes from being enjoyable to being a burden to take care of them all. And given his remote location if/when it comes time to sell he will only realize a fraction of what he put into building it. But it's his life and his money.

Is he your friend who had his pristine 70 Cutlass SX totaled? Was he able to have it repaired? I have a soft spot for that series of Cutlass, also the Intrigue.

2021 VW Arteon SEL 4-motion, 2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech

fintail said:

I look at some MBs as the best of both worlds - speed and refinement. My wagon is legitimately fast, probably faster than 98% of cars on the road, yet has a sublime comfortable ride, and high build/material quality. It's also a white station wagon with a traditional grille and hood ornament - it's invisible for those looking for fast cars. A modern day "sleeper" in a way, maybe.

I’d rather drive a car that made me feel like I was14 as opposed to a car that made me feel like I was 114.

You should definitely hit your local drag strip to troll some American muscle in your sleeper. I think you'd do just fine.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 249,291

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2024 Kia Sportage Hybrid SX Prestige

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

I am younger than many here, and I already feel way too old for such a car. Maybe when I was 14 I might have thought it was more desirable - far too "look at me" now, not to mention the likely ride/handling/comfort.

driver100 said:

I would say I like a car that balances driving experience and comfort. I know the Yaris is a great handling/driving car for what it is, but I couldn't drive something that looks like this;
    .....and that I have to wedge myself into.

I think the key words are " Maybe when I was 14 I might have thought it was more desirable".
    I’d rather drive a car that made me feel like I was14 as opposed to a car that made me feel like I was 114.
    Rare photo of the last time @roadburner tried his hand at a luxury car:

B)
    Poor front left wheel and tire!
    I believe most of us can relate to this. Yesterday we had a fairly nice clear day. The Audi was in need of a wash and vacuum. Knowing they forecast rain Monday, I asked my wife if she needed to go out on Monday. No was the answer. As the Q5 and Passat slumber in the garage I felt safe to wash it. This morning my wife apologizes, she forgot she had a dental appointment at noon. She can’t take the TL which is parked outside because my daughter has her only in person class to attend today and will be driving to college. Oh well, the wash job didn’t last farther than the driveway. I felt bad for her, though. She got to the dentist office only to find her dental technician called in and they had to cancel. They tried to contact us but somehow couldn’t. The wife came home very annoyed. Little stuff, c’est la vie.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,584
    sda said:

Is he your friend who had his pristine 70 Cutlass SX totaled? Was he able to have it repaired? I have a soft spot for that series of Cutlass, also the Intrigue.

No, I’m not sure who you’re thinking of there. He might be suicidal if that happened to one of his.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Michaell said:
    I could live with that. Property taxes not even that much higher than mine!

andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

More shenanigans from the old guys.

The same team that wrecked the company car wash may have destroyed a new diesel pick up. Seems one of them filled it with gas instead of diesel. Thanks to the marvels of modern computer safety systems the truck wouldn’t start, probably because the anti-knock sensor detected something was amiss. It had to be towed away.

Don't they give some kind of I.Q. Test to new employees?
    This could easily be a $10000 repair.
    Evidently, this happens more often than anyone might think.
    Why oh why, don't they make the filler tank and the nozzle on the gas and diesel pump so they don't fit into each other....even I can figure that they should do that?
    Well the diesel fuel nozzle is larger than the gas one so it won't fit in the fuel door of a gas car. But the gas filler nozzle will fit in the diesel vehicle since it is smaller. The only other solution would be to make them different shapes but then they would be harder to get it in the cars filler neck and people will complain about that.
    Diesel could be square or have wings on the side of it so you can't jam it into a gasser but fits a diesel.
    This is easily solvable.....................
    As I said before, that would require the diesel nozzle to be perfectly aligned with the vehicles filler neck resulting in people fiddling with the nozzle to get it to fit. This fiddling could also cause damage to the nozzle as well as the vehicles filler neck.
    It could be done. There could also be a sensor in the filler neck that could immediately notify the idiot.. err operator that they are putting the wrong fuel in.
    Please explain how in the world will a sensor in the filler neck be able to notify the idiot that he is putting in the wrong fuel when the fuel type is clearly labeled on the button you push to select the fuel type if not also on or near the nozzle to be used and that doesn't alert them. Look at the picture below, even if you put the gas nozzle in your vehicle you should be able to push the Diesel button to start fueling. And in that case it wouldn't work as the pump won't pump gas if you push diesel. Just remember you can get to the point where you can't save someone from themselves. After that all you can do is upload the results to YouTube.

I’m no scientist but I’m sure there enough of a chemical difference (PH, etc??) that a sensor could pick up on.
    My point is is that if you are putting gas in a diesel vehicle you are either oblivious to what fuel your vehicle takes or you are to unaware that your are using the nozzle for gas and pushing a button that's not labeled "diesel". If that's a case then a sensor warning you likely will not work.
    I hear you. It’s certainly not something any of us would do... but it gets done often enough that IMO there could be a mechanism to make it completely idiot proof. Think of a three prong electric outlet. You can’t put that in wrong even if you tried.

They could incorporate a valve that shuts off the moment the sensor recognizes the wrong fuel, cutting off the pump.

You seem to be over complicating the thing and how do you keep it from shutting off other pumps? But why stop there? Why not equip every car with a technician highly trained in pumping gas to do it for you?

As I said there is a point where you have to stop trying to save people from themselves. I do believe that this is the point. They will only learn after an expensive repair or two.
    I realize the rage is for big government to do everything, but there's a point where it needs to stop. We're there.

I think we’re waaay past there.
    You mean you'd toss out the lawsuit against a Texas power company for the negligent parents of an 11 year old boy that froze to death? Why not blame the power company? Didn't you get your "power is 100% guaranteed 100% of the time" statement?

*And for that matter I'm sure the Power Company is somehow responsible for the "extreme weather." :open_mouth::disappointed::worried:
    I just saw that on the national nightly news. The media sure gets hysterical about this type of stuff but didn’t once question that the parents should be jailed for child neglect. But that wouldn’t be politically correct, would it?

jmonroe
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,389
    edited February 2021
    Something I thought I'd never do. Spent an hour and half in a Toyota showroom earlier this evening. They wouldn't even let me sit in the Supra GR. It was locked. Black.

I drove him over to the store, and I stayed around in case he didn't get to drive his prize home.

Son had been negotiating over an instock Venza that fit his wants with an extra he didn't want. But they came down substantially. So he picked it up this evening after applying for Toyota's financing with instant approval. LOL

Beautiful car. Spotlight blue with boulder (grey) tones in the interior. Even has "Venza" lighting up on the door sills. They missed "Venza" in the puddle lights. LOL.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Not sure if I'd be much of a match for Hellcats and Superstangs/Camaros, but it still has a sub-5 second 0-60 and is a white station wagon with non-sporty wheels and a hood ornament to throw people off. At least on paper it's very slightly faster 0-60 than both of my prior V8 AMG cars - time marches on.
    andres3 said:

You should definitely hit your local drag strip to troll some American muscle in your sleeper. I think you'd do just fine.

Surprised you let him in the showroom B) I think I've mentioned in the past, in the small town where my mom lives, up until maybe no more than 10 years ago, Toyota and Chevy actually shared the same showroom. Now Toyota has its own building, but it is adjacent.

Is this the blue?

The more blue cars out there, the better.

Something I thought I'd never do. Spent an hour and half in a Toyota showroom earlier this evening. They wouldn't even let me sit in the Supra GR. It was locked. Black.

Beautiful car. Spotlight blue with boulder (grey) tones in the interior. Even has "Venza" lighting up on the door sills. They missed "Venza" in the puddle lights. LOL.

ab348 said:

Nice garage....but why doesn't he at least paint the little one to the left?

venture said:

In our family room the sun shines in right around 5 pm this time of year since it is low in the sky. Where I usually sit it shines right in my eyes. Yesterday I walked over and pulled one side of the drapes closed a little to shade my eyes. For some reason Mrs. venture didn't think that was a good idea and let me know that.
    Today when I went into the family room to sit down I was wearing a pair of sunglasses. B)
    She didn't think that was funny.

Great story.......but you are young. Over the years I learned I may make a point, might even get a laugh.....but, overall - I am going lose big time!

edited February 2021

I drove him over to the store, and I stayed around in case he didn't get to drive his prize home.

Son had been negotiating over an instock Venza that fit his wants with an extra he didn't want. But they came down substantially. So he picked it up this evening after applying for Toyota's financing with instant approval. LOL

Now will you disown him for buying a Toyota? Will you be observing the car so you can tell us about anything that goes wrong?

In Florida we have two neighbors...they had been friends for over 30 years. The one neighbor neighbor bought a new car, a Hyundai Elantra. Their friends wouldn't speak to them because the guy had worked on a GM line all his life and didn't like that his good friends had bought a non-GM car. :'(

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,418
    venture said:

In our family room the sun shines in right around 5 pm this time of year since it is low in the sky. Where I usually sit it shines right in my eyes. Yesterday I walked over and pulled one side of the drapes closed a little to shade my eyes. For some reason Mrs. venture didn't think that was a good idea and let me know that.

Today when I went into the family room to sit down I was wearing a pair of sunglasses. B)

My experience is that wifes don't seem to have a very good sense of humor. Case in point today while I was cooking dinner like I do every day I told my wife that if I wanted to cook every day I would have stayed single. My wife didn't find that funny, but on the plus side the doctor says I should be out of the hospital by Wednesday.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,543
    stickguy said:

My retirement plan was simpler. Stop working and have places send me money every month so I can be lazy.

This is most certainly true. So far, it's working for me.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    andres3 said:

fintail said:

I look at some MBs as the best of both worlds - speed and refinement. My wagon is legitimately fast, probably faster than 98% of cars on the road, yet has a sublime comfortable ride, and high build/material quality. It's also a white station wagon with a traditional grille and hood ornament - it's invisible for those looking for fast cars. A modern day "sleeper" in a way, maybe.

About six years ago a friend called and asked me to take his latest toy for a drive; said toy was a 2007 Mercedes-AMG E63 fitted with the Weistec M156 Power Package 1, meaning it made 441 hp and 394 lb-ft of torque measured at the wheels. He was a bit intimidated by the car and wanted me to wring it out- he didn't have to ask twice. Now that was a car I could truly call fast with a straight face, as stock it would do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and run the quarter in 12.6 seconds @115 mph. Of course, I had to take it down my personal road course test track and the car was pretty much unflappable(the car sported Michelin PSS rubber). I had forgotten how much fun the AMGs of this vintage could be. Oh yeah, it would also do a fairly impressive burnout...

My friend also likes drag racing and he wanted me to run it at the local 1/8-mile strip, so we took it to Ohio Valley Raceway the next evening. My fastest run was an 8.12 at 89 mph. A buddy was sitting in the stands; when I lined up against a 1970 GS 455 he heard someone say, "What's that Mercedes doing here?" After I beat the Buick by @4 car lengths he heard the same guy say, "Wow, he ain't playin'!"

edited February 2021
    This place isn't much to look at from the outside, but I'd have fun with the amenities - being in a different location would be nice, too - even if I won a Powerball, that's not where I'd live.

Seeing the modern trend of high level youth hockey being both fantastically expensive and elitist/attractive to overcompensating bulldozer parents, I'd be surprised if this kind of thing isn't reality for some bootstrapping kids.
    Michaell said:
    Those were approaching to the end of the normally aspirated era, turbos on the horizon. New ones are 600+ hp, but smaller displacement, AWD, more nannies etc, I am sure many think something was lost.

Would be fun to put it on discreet wheels and debadge it or rebadge it as a Bluetec or similar.

About six years ago a friend called and asked me to take his latest toy for a drive; said toy was a 2007 Mercedes-AMG E63 fitted with the Weistec M156 Power Package 1, meaning it made 441 hp and 394 lb-ft of torque measured at the wheels. He was a bit intimidated by the car and wanted me to wring it out- he didn't have to ask twice. Now that was a car I could truly call fast with a straight face, as stock it would do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and run the quarter in 12.6 seconds @115 mph. Of course, I had to take it down my personal road course test track and the car was pretty much unflappable(the car sported Michelin PSS rubber). I had forgotten how much fun the AMGs of this vintage could be. Oh yeah, it would also do a fairly impressive burnout...

My friend also likes drag racing and he wanted me to run it at the local 1/8-mile strip, so we took it to Ohio Valley Raceway the next evening. My fastest run was an 8.12 at 89 mph. A buddy was sitting in the stands; when I lined up against a 1970 GS 455 he heard someone say, "What's that Mercedes doing here?" After I beat the Buick by @4 car lengths he heard the same guy say, "Wow, he ain't playin'!"

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 23,295

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

I am younger than many here, and I already feel way too old for such a car. Maybe when I was 14 I might have thought it was more desirable - far too "look at me" now, not to mention the likely ride/handling/comfort.

driver100 said:

I would say I like a car that balances driving experience and comfort. I know the Yaris is a great handling/driving car for what it is, but I couldn't drive something that looks like this;
    .....and that I have to wedge myself into.

I think the key words are " Maybe when I was 14 I might have thought it was more desirable".
    I just try to act my age.....but on the youngish side of what I am. Being immature (14) doesn't make me any younger than what I am.
    My philosophy has always been:
    Growing old is inevitable.
    Growing up is optional.
    Mr. Roadburner waving to his neighbor as he leaves for work.

https://youtu.be/ouhmPg4PTmk

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

fintail said:

This place isn't much to look at from the outside, but I'd have fun with the amenities - being in a different location would be nice, too - even if I won a Powerball, that's not where I'd live.

Seeing the modern trend of high level youth hockey being both fantastically expensive and elitist/attractive to overcompensating bulldozer parents, I'd be surprised if this kind of thing isn't reality for some bootstrapping kids.

Michaell said:
    Bradd probably has an offer in on it already.

driver100 said:

Another example of why I like horse power.
    I was entering a highway where the cars are going 70 to 80 mph. I had a long ramp but a guy in a pickup truck was speeding up in the right lane of a 2 lane highway (2 lanes each way), he may have been trying to get ahead of me but he also seemed to be trying to cut me off so I wouldn't get on the highway or maybe in front of him. I was still in COMFORT mode, but I would say I used about 328 of the 339 horses to take off and got in front of him. Falling back behind him was an option, but the way he was driving he may have stayed directly beside me making it harder to get on the highway.

I saw another E class in a ditch today. Two inches of snow just like the other day. I’m not slamming MB but I’m curious as to what’s going on.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

sda said:

qbrozen said:

Investing at that level is really just gambling.

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

Farmer, when I had the Elantra the oil change interval in the manual (I don't think it had a service monitoring system, just a light tied to miles or time) it was 3,750 severe or 6,500 normal. And their severe schedule was what is probably normal for most people. I was not taking it in that often (not that I had the car all that long). Not sure on my Sonata but I am sure I did that one more like 5-6,500

The Soul say 7500 OCI which is way more than I would ever go. What was strange was that when I called Kia corporate to ask what their OCI was for synthetic I was told “same for both synthetic and conventional”. That made no sense to me as I think 5,000 on synthetic is more than enough. If it can’t go any further than cheaper conventional, what’s the point?

Some months later I asked a Kia service tech what he thought and he rolled his eyes and said 5,000 was fine.

7,500 miles would be fine as well; used oil analysis indicated that a 10,000 mile interval was fine for the TGDI motor in my MS3- and it was running great when I sold it with 158,000 miles on the clock.

My son drives a 2009 328i. The car has been run on BMW TPT 5W-30 or BMW TPT 0W-30 since new- with a minimum OCI of 15,000 miles/12 months; here's what it looked like under the valve cover at 8 years/108,000 miles(and it's also still running strong):

Back in the day I changed the oil on my Plymouth religiously at 3k miles like they said you should. At 139k miles it threw the timing chain and bent a few valves. They had to pull everything apart and the mechanic said the motor was unusually clean for the milage.

40 some years later I still adhere to what some might say is excessive changes. I have a feeling that today’s high tolerance engines might need those frequent changes more than the old 60s stuff.
    Oil companies have admitted the motor oil from the 60's was snake oil compared to today's best motor oils. That's the main difference for not needing 3K change intervals. Part of me thinks Kia/Hyundai specifies short intervals solely to deny claims from people like @jmonroe @jmonroe1

At least, it increases the chances and odds they'll have more to reject.
    I suspect you’re right.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 249,291

driver100 said:

sda said:

qbrozen said:

Investing at that level is really just gambling.
    You want to talk about gambling?

Been reading articles about the debacle in Texas - turns out the utilities are so deregulated that some companies were offering variable rate electricity. Folks who were able to keep their lights on are now seeing 4 and 5 figure bills for those few days. And, one company has it tied to the customer's debit or credit card, which then wiped out bank accounts and maxing credit cards.

That's gambling - but never in a million years did these customers expect this to happen to them. And, these are necessities, not like a Netflix subscription that can be cancelled with minimal inconvenience.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2024 Kia Sportage Hybrid SX Prestige

• ventureventure Member Posts: 3,029
    driver100 said:

venture said:

Great story.......but you are young. Over the years I learned I may make a point, might even get a laugh.....but, overall - I am going lose big time!

Some of my best lines have been wasted.

2025 Forester Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• ventureventure Member Posts: 3,029

stickguy said:

This is most certainly true. So far, it's working for me.

Me too.

2025 Forester Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

This discussion has been closed.