Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,396
    Congrats! Hope you did well.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,618

Definitely sounds totally different than Alaska.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    stickguy said:

Definitely sounds totally different than Alaska.

It is and we love it! Hubby will be staying in Alaska for the winter and I'll be staying in Costa Rica so little man can start school here. It will be a little tough but doable. There is an amazing private school here and we want him to get started right away rather than have to switch schools 1/2 way through the school year. Not to mention it doesn't break my heart to not spend another winter in Alaska!
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,458
    I’ll try not to bore you guys too much with this stuff. If it gets too much, then please tell me to stop;)-

Here is a https://www.autotrader.com/marketplace/buy/subaru/outback/2006/4S4BP61C966362149?listingId=687904753 2006 Outback with a stick and only 111K miles.

The we have a https://www.autotrader.com/marketplace/buy/toyota/prius/2009/JTDKB20U197839189?listingId=687838684 2009 Prius with under 100K miles.

And last, but not least, a https://www.autotrader.com/marketplace/buy/toyota/prius/2011/JTDKN3DU0B0315425?listingId=688040213 2011 Prius from the Bay state.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I’ve also been poking down another rabbit hole while searching for a car for my son. If it turns serious, I’ll divulge what it is.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

I’ll try not to bore you guys too much with this stuff. If it gets too much, then please tell me to stop;)-

Here is a https://www.autotrader.com/marketplace/buy/subaru/outback/2006/4S4BP61C966362149?listingId=687904753 2006 Outback with a stick and only 111K miles.

The we have a https://www.autotrader.com/marketplace/buy/toyota/prius/2009/JTDKB20U197839189?listingId=687838684 2009 Prius with under 100K miles.

And last, but not least, a https://www.autotrader.com/marketplace/buy/toyota/prius/2011/JTDKN3DU0B0315425?listingId=688040213 2011 Prius from the Bay state.

Subie is the class of that bunch. Mine would have walked vs a Prius. Sorry @corvette

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,282
    Especially for the money, the Outback is a lot more car than the Prius. I don't think that generation of Outback has ESC, but it does have cool frameless doors. I think the Gen3 Prius is prone to head gasket issues, but I don't think they are commonplace enough that it would deter me from buying one.
  • Options
    Sube looks nice. But there are no pictures of where the evil hides. If that lived it's live in Rochester there is going to be a lot of rust underneath. The evil beast can take out the entire subframe.

You know the drill. Put it on a lift, and start poking with a screwdriver! One good thing is NY actually safety inspects still, and will fail a car for frame rust-through.

If you go out and buy it, stop by on your way back. I am almost on the way if you go the scenic route!

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,970

@au1994 said:
    Congrats! Hope you did well.

Not really, but had to make it happen.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,810
    nyccarguy said:

Prius will use half the fuel while you have half the fun of driving it. Sadly, I think MA cars age in dog years as a result of the way folks drive there (ridiculously aggressive). But, aside from that, all three look solid.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,717
    stickguy said:

Sube looks nice. But there are no pictures of where the evil hides. If that lived it's live in Rochester there is going to be a lot of rust underneath. The evil beast can take out the entire subframe.

You know the drill. Put it on a lift, and start poking with a screwdriver! One good thing is NY actually safety inspects still, and will fail a car for frame rust-through.

If you go out and buy it, stop by on your way back. I am almost on the way if you go the scenic route!

Just watch out for a dealer that slaps a sticker on a junker. This place is just south of Rochester.

https://youtu.be/5lRu4zRaXoA

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Eric O. is the best. Poor guy deals with more rust than any man should ever have to.

He recently had to do a front subframe replacement on a 2013 OB. Rotted through bad enough to fail inspection. And this week, had to replace the entire rear subframe on a not all that old Altima because the rear control arms rotted out. Had one shipped up from Alabama that looked like brand new!

• Options
    just watched the video. Depressing. and why it is insane to buy a used car in the salt belt without having a good PPI, with it up on the lift. Because the bad news needs to be seen from the bottom. at least bring a towel and squeeze your head underneath. You can see enough doing that to tell.

If I actually needed a cheaper used car like this, I would make a road trip to the south and buy a local unit.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    stickguy said:

just watched the video. Depressing. and why it is insane to buy a used car in the salt belt without having a good PPI, with it up on the lift. Because the bad news needs to be seen from the bottom. at least bring a towel and squeeze your head underneath. You can see enough doing that to tell.

If I actually needed a cheaper used car like this, I would make a road trip to the south and buy a local unit.

That’s one of the first things I do on a hooptie inspection. Right after looking at fluids and a cold start. Up on a lift is better though because some scammers spray black paint over the rust to fool you.

I remember once when a woman at work bought a used Ford Explorer from a large multi-line dealer. A few months later the front coil spring punched through the lower control arm because it was so rusted. The only time I ever saw rust like that was when the same thing happened to my crusty 88’ $900 GMC cargo van. The difference is I knew my van was a junker when I bought it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    qbrozen said:

The 2nd Pajero Mini just hit the road with its new PA owner. Handed my wife a stack of cash so maybe she'll leave me alone for a little while.

Nice job! Selling the Pajero Mini & Handing your wife a stack of cash!

• Options
    stickguy said:

I know. It is a Rochester car. Salt stays on the road there until May.

• Options

Even worse, as I learned from Eric O videos, in the country there they also brine the dirt roads to keep dust down. So you get the rotting chemicals all year round caked on with the dust spray from the roads

• Options
    @oldfarmer50 - I think that video just made me cross northern owned Subarus off my list. Amazing how well the car drove even with the rust & mismatched tires

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,295
    stickguy said:

Even worse, as I learned from Eric O videos, in the country there they also brine the dirt roads to keep dust down. So you get the rotting chemicals all year round caked on with the dust spray from the roads

In Indiana, they spray used oil on dirt/gravel roads in the Summer, to keep down the dust.. :/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Just like the good old days!
  • Options

I think they switched to salt mixture to avoid all the oil being sprayed. Might be better for the ground but at the expense of car bottoms.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

@oldfarmer50 - I think that video just made me cross northern owned Subarus off my list. Amazing how well the car drove even with the rust & mismatched tires

Old Subarus have a lot of quirks. Some are expensive but all end up bring a labor of love.

Might not be what you want for a HS kids first car.

Do you still vacation down south (NC maybe?). If so pick up something local down there and drive it back up!

• Options
    stickguy said:

nyccarguy said:

Old Subarus have a lot of quirks. Some are expensive but all end up bring a labor of love.

Might not be what you want for a HS kids first car.

Do you still vacation down south (NC maybe?). If so pick up something local down there and drive it back up!
    Funny you should say that. I just booked a hotel from 7/25-7/29 in Nags Head, NC:)- I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,609
    corvette said:

Just like the good old days!

————————————————
    That’s why I thought I struck oil in the backyard of my first house that I lived in for 20 years. Did oil changes religiously every 3K miles back then. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,284

@kyfdx said:
    In Indiana, they spray used oil on dirt/gravel roads in the Summer, to keep down the dust.. :/

I’ve not seen that. They did “chip and seal” on IN-67 a while back. Pea gravel and tar. What a good idea😂

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,810
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

That's the way to do it!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,295
    mjfloyd1 said:

@kyfdx said:

I’ve not seen that. They did “chip and seal” on IN-67 a while back. Pea gravel and tar. What a good idea😂

It's been 25-35 years ago.. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,391
    edited July 2023
    I'll probably regret asking this question, but has anyone heard if Jeep has any decent lease deals for the Wrangler? I want a 2 door- either a Willys or a Rubicon.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,939

I'll probably regret asking this question, but has anyone heard if Jeep has any decent lease deals for the Wrangler? I want a 2 door- either a Willys or a Rubicon.

Nope. Standard MF (I think .00363 for 36 month term), and no incentives.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,939
    Michaell said:

Nope. Standard MF (I think .00363 for 36 month term), and no incentives.
    Much better lease deals on the 4xe versions - big rebates and much smaller MF.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Based on what I can see driving by my local dealer, 2 doors are harder to come by.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Based on what I can see driving by my local dealer, 2 doors are harder to come by.

2 door Wranglers are like the 2 dr 2wd pickups. No money to be had here, move along.

• Options
    Just got an updated offer from Carvana for the Mustang. $27,382 up about $3k from a few weeks ago when they for some reason thought I had 40k miles on it. When I corrected them with the actual 17k miles the offer went up.

Now that car is in very good shape but it is 8 years old. I don’t know what they are smoking to offer that much. This is why I can’t take these stories of plunging used car prices seriously.

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195

@nyccarguy said:
    Funny you should say that. I just booked a hotel from 7/25-7/29 in Nags Head, NC:)- I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!

Coastal cars run the risk of having been driven through salt water, especially on the OBX where there are a few spots that are prone to tidal flooding. If you’re shopping too close to Nags Head, make sure they didn’t go to Rodanthe too much!

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,360
    @oldfarmer50,
    Do they have any similar cars for sale?
    A guy up the street was selling a 2013 F150 XLT crew cab with 130k on it, asking 14,500.
    I looked them on Carmax am they were selling theirs for 22-23k.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,166
    edited July 2023
    kyfdx said:

In Indiana where there were still gravel roads in rural areas, the homeowners sometimes paid to have calcium chloride solution sprayed onto the road in front of their residence, e.g.. The calcium chloride is hygroscopic and attracted and held moisture, keeping down the amount of dust from the occasional passing cars.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    I'm thinking of attending NAIAS in September--has anyone here been?
  • Options

@oldfarmer50,
    Do they have any similar cars for sale?
    A guy up the street was selling a 2013 F150 XLT crew cab with 130k on it, asking 14,500.
    I looked them on Carmax am they were selling theirs for 22-23k.

Closest comp on Carvana is a base GT with 7k for $35,000.

• Options

@ronsteve said:

@nyccarguy said:

Coastal cars run the risk of having been driven through salt water, especially on the OBX where there are a few spots that are prone to tidal flooding. If you’re shopping too close to Nags Head, make sure they didn’t go to Rodanthe too much!

————————————————
    That salt splash wouldn’t bother me because it’ll rain the next day and be washed off. Just get up to highway speeds for a few miles and you should be fine.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,712
    corvette said:

I'm thinking of attending NAIAS in September--has anyone here been?

I went on my own many years ago…like 15-20 years ago. Quick weekend trip.

Hmm…wife and I could be tempted to join you.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    I don't have an itinerary nailed down, yet, but I'll try to keep you posted. I will probably take the entire week off work and hit up some of the auto museums in northern Indiana on the way up there.
  • Options

kyfdx said:

In Indiana where there were still gravel roads in rural areas, the homeowners sometimes paid to have calcium chloride solution sprayed onto the road in front of their residence, e.g.. The calcium chloride is hygroscopic and attracted and held moisture, keeping down the amount of dust from the occasional passing cars.

I had to google that one. Definitely never heard of it, but I grew up next to a golf course 😂
  • Options
    corvette said:

I don't have an itinerary nailed down, yet, but I'll try to keep you posted. I will probably take the entire week off work and hit up some of the auto museums in northern Indiana on the way up there.

Auburn cord Duesenberg and south bend studebaker museums?

Hopefully you don’t have to drive through much used car oil and calcium chloride😂
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,202
    Dealer where I first leased the wagon kept me on their mailing list, I just received this offer on an EQE - some discount off MSRP I guess, and some mop 'n glo to boot:

• Options
    fintail said:

Dealer where I first leased the wagon kept me on their mailing list, I just received this offer on an EQE - some discount off MSRP I guess, and some mop 'n glo to boot:

————————————————
    That’s the first time I’ve ever seen a dealer advertise that their DOC fee is negotiable. How could you pass up a deal like that?

jmonroe
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,360
    Autonation is consistent. They have the mop and glo add on's at the dealer local to me, too.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    @fintail - There was a feeding frenzy on these on Lease Hackr a few months ago. It was insanity!