Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,444
    pensfan83 said:

nyccarguy said:

@pensfan83 said:

Sent out about a dozen texts/emails to people who have expressed interest in buying the Prelude over the years. Responses from a couple with some coming to look at it this weekend.

Your car (IIRC) has about 30K more miles than mine, is older, and in MUCH better condition. Why’d you decide to move on?

It's been telegraphed in subtle and sometimes not so subtle ways it needs to go. Essentially it's become a 2 seater because neither kid will ride in the back seat any longer and my wife won't ride in it at all. Parts can sometimes be a crapshoot and I've driven it less and less the past few years, gravitating more toward the BMW. It's creating unnecessary friction so it's time. It scratched an itch for the teenager Honda fanboy in me and someone else will no doubt enjoy it just as much.

I hear you. There is a very small window of time when the kids are out of car seats and can and are willing to sit in the tiny back seat.

I agree with you that parts are an issue. I consider myself fortunate that the mechanics I use are willing to let me supply parts. Part of the reason I had all that work done on it last year was because I had started hoarding parts for 2-3 years prior. I don't know if my wife "won't ride in it at all," per say, but if it is going to be low and bumpy it better be in perfect working order (air conditioning specifically). I'm going to have the radiator replaced along with hoses & new coolant (since it leaked out), and an oil change. I'm going to see if I can get this stuff sorted out over the next few weeks. Drive the car a decent amount this spring/summer and reassess in 2025.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Enterprise rented the kids a very red Kia Soul with just over 8K miles on it. Son said it drove very nicely. I rode in the back seat Monday as we got rid of our old broken t v amid other errands. Back seat was pretty roomy I must say but the quirky looks are something either one likes or dislikes. Not offensive in any way but I keep thinking of "hamsters" whenever I see one! Now, would I want one as my new d d? It definitely meets the fitment issue on my side of the garage, but, is it a vehicle I could get excited about? And that answer is definitely a "NO" right now.

The kid's pretty logical for being only 37, so I asked his advice about replacing my car. He knows how much I love cars so he said only make a move if it's on something that you absolutely love, that puts that grin on your face whenever you see it. What he was describing is what I've currently got now! So he said, there's your answer. Kids...ya raise them and many times later, you find out ya actually did a good job. He said just squirrel your funds away for when the time does come when you find "the next one" and then jump on it. It's like he red my mind!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,104
    Reading today that Lincoln dealers are stuck with a glut of unsold 2023 models and are trying to unload them. Might be worth checking in with a dealer if someone is in the market for a luxo-SUV.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,695
    qbrozen said:

Tried to buy another JDM vehicle. Been keeping an eye out for a manual turbo kei van or 5-door like our wagon r. A ‘97 Daihatsu finally came up. The kei vans typically get to around $1k USD. I put in a max of about $1300, thinking “yup, that’ll do it.” It ended around an hour ago. No email, so I checked up on it. It went for $8200 USD!! WTH?!

I saw one of those little trucks at a Burlington VT.Nissan dealer last year. 2012 with some rust streaks. I believe they were asking $12k.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Enterprise rented the kids a very red Kia Soul with just over 8K miles on it. Son said it drove very nicely. I rode in the back seat Monday as we got rid of our old broken t v amid other errands. Back seat was pretty roomy I must say but the quirky looks are something either one likes or dislikes. Not offensive in any way but I keep thinking of "hamsters" whenever I see one! Now, would I want one as my new d d? It definitely meets the fitment issue on my side of the garage, but, is it a vehicle I could get excited about? And that answer is definitely a "NO" right now.

The kid's pretty logical for being only 37, so I asked his advice about replacing my car. He knows how much I love cars so he said only make a move if it's on something that you absolutely love, that puts that grin on your face whenever you see it. What he was describing is what I've currently got now! So he said, there's your answer. Kids...ya raise them and many times later, you find out ya actually did a good job. He said just squirrel your funds away for when the time does come when you find "the next one" and then jump on it. It's like he red my mind!!!

Kia Soul is definitely an aquired taste. If looks are a big criteria I’d pass. It’s a pure function vehicle which offers room at a cheap price point. Its reputation is questionable if you want 200k miles out of it. Having said that, mine at 24,500 miles has been ok except for one wheel that insists on leaking air every few weeks.

I chose the last regular auto transmission rather than chance the CVT in the current model.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,580

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:
    Who says “You can’t take it with you”?

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,963

@stickguy said:
    How did QB miss this in his JDM travels?

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3pYvyvZw/1995-nissan-cima-hearse

At least it isn’t all gold like the typical Toyota versions.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Update on car shopping for my Mom. She did like the Genesis GV70 better than the RX350, but also stipulated that she doesn't want to pay any more than she does now ($712/Month 39/15K). I've put together a few target deals using information provided by our esteemed hosts here at Edmunds as well as what some LH brokers are offering. Anyway you slice it, the payment on the Genesis begins with an 8. Which is just too much for a $60K car. I'm not saying the Genesis is a bad car, but she'll be stuck with the GV70 for the entire 36 month lease and end up having to pay over mileage charges.

My 75 year old mother still does A LOT of driving. We were able to get out of her 2020 RX350 early and pocket a big, fat, equity check. I know that was a once in a lifetime opportunity, but even now I think I'll be able to have the Lexus dealer buy her lease out at her car's current $37,420.60 buyout. As @mlevine said, usually LFS has a 6 month pull ahead program, so there is always that to fall back on.

I'm going to make an offer to the dealer she test drove at, then the dealer she's leased 2 RX350s from, then another couple of dealers, then I'll contact a broker.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,104
    @nyccarguy , as I mentioned above, Lincoln is stuck with an excess of new 2023 models and are apparently offering good incentives to move them out. Maybe she should look at those if the monthly payment is the main issue.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ab348 said:

@nyccarguy , as I mentioned above, Lincoln is stuck with an excess of new 2023 models and are apparently offering good incentives to move them out. Maybe she should look at those if the monthly payment is the main issue.

Thanks. I saw that. Lincoln/Ford Programs are usually terrible. Even with a healthy discount I don't think it will be right.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,395
    nyccarguy said:

Update on car shopping for my Mom. She did like the Genesis GV70 better than the RX350, but also stipulated that she doesn't want to pay any more than she does now ($712/Month 39/15K). I've put together a few target deals using information provided by our esteemed hosts here at Edmunds as well as what some LH brokers are offering. Anyway you slice it, the payment on the Genesis begins with an 8. Which is just too much for a $60K car. I'm not saying the Genesis is a bad car, but she'll be stuck with the GV70 for the entire 36 month lease and end up having to pay over mileage charges.

My 75 year old mother still does A LOT of driving. We were able to get out of her 2020 RX350 early and pocket a big, fat, equity check. I know that was a once in a lifetime opportunity, but even now I think I'll be able to have the Lexus dealer buy her lease out at her car's current $37,420.60 buyout. As @mlevine said, usually LFS has a 6 month pull ahead program, so there is always that to fall back on.

I'm going to make an offer to the dealer she test drove at, then the dealer she's leased 2 RX350s from, then another couple of dealers, then I'll contact a broker.

This is what I ran into as well. Wife loved the 70 but the deals were crap. Even at the end of the year. Selfishly I like the Q5 much better. Exterior of the GV70 just doesn’t do it for me. Interior is hands down one of the best though.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    edited March 22
    ab348 said:

I tried to take one off their hands in December but a $8xx lease payment on a low 50’s SUV soured me.

• Options

I’m so glad my leasing phase is in the past. Really sounds like it sucks now!

Hopefully nothing happens to my truck because I think if I had to replace it, I would prefer a lease.

• Options
    I just fired off a very aggressive offer to the dealer they test drove the car at. The clock is ticking...

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,611

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,586
    au1994 said:

ab348 said:

I tried to take one off their hands in December but a $8xx lease payment on a low 50’s SUV soured me.
    ————————————————-
    FWIW, I’ve never leased a car so I’m pretty ignorant about them and as a result never cared to look into them. However, I never looked at GV 70 sales either, so I have to ask are their sales that good that they can hold to historically bad leases this long?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,400
    edited March 22
    tifighter said:

Inventory climbing means things get more competitive (e.g. lease hacking continues to make its return), but there is very little new today that I'd be compelled to buy/lease, even cheaply, over what I have currently.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    tifighter said:

Maybe its a good time to poke around at a Grand Cherokee.

• Options
    edited March 22
    jmonroe1 said:

au1994 said:

ab348 said:

————————————————-
    FWIW, I’ve never leased a car so I’m pretty ignorant about them and as a result never cared to look into them. However, I never looked at GV 70 sales either, so I have to ask are their sales that good that they can hold to historically bad leases this long?

jmonroe
    Hyundai/Kia vehicles have never leased particularly well, so I'm not sure that it is that sales are so good vs. just their typical business model - and if you look at their warranty structure, they seem to want to encourage longer term ownership.
  • Options
    @au1994 - it seems like there are some competitive offers again on Wrangler, if you wanted to do that. GC doesn't look all that competitive.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,531

if you look at their warranty structure, they seem to want to encourage longer term ownership.

...but only if you meticulously maintain the car, and keep perfect records!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

Definitely a car you want to take to the dealer for oil changes on their required schedule.

• Options

@au1994 - it seems like there are some competitive offers again on Wrangler, if you wanted to do that. GC doesn't look all that competitive.

Thanks. I’m kinda ‘been there, done that’ on the Wrangler. I’ve enjoyed it but couldn’t do another 3 years in one.

• Options
    For what it's worth, at least in the PNW, prices are normalizing on new Outback/Forester/Crosstrek - I've helped a few friends in the last couple weeks and all are well below invoice.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,611

@au1994 said:
    Thanks. I’m kinda ‘been there, done that’ on the Wrangler. I’ve enjoyed it but couldn’t do another 3 years in one.

I’ll bet you can score a deal on a Wagoneer…

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    kyfdx said:

For what it's worth, at least in the PNW, prices are normalizing on new Outback/Forester/Crosstrek - I've helped a few friends in the last couple weeks and all are well below invoice.

Hey man.. we don't allow brokers on here. :o
    That would only be if I charge a "Liaison" fee.
  • Options
    tifighter said:

@au1994 said:

I REALLY want one of those but they are just too pricey. Unless there is a ridiculous 85% residual deal out there like Nissan had on the Frontier for a minute.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,773
    au1994 said:

tifighter said:

@au1994 said:

I REALLY want one of those but they are just too pricey. Unless there is a ridiculous 85% residual deal out there like Nissan had on the Frontier for a minute.

Lousy lease programs

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I don’t think any of the full sized SUV’s lease well.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,586

jmonroe1 said:

au1994 said:

ab348 said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    Hyundai/Kia vehicles have never leased particularly well, so I'm not sure that it is that sales are so good vs. just their typical business model - and if you look at their warranty structure, they seem to want to encourage longer term ownership.
    ————————————————-
    Way back when leasing was trying to get off the ground I heard a dealership GM say on the radio (maybe in the late 70’s) that leasing was going to be a boom for car sales because people would be able to drive newer cars and always be under warranty.

In any case the objective was to increase sales, so why wouldn’t Genesis support leasing by being more competitive with other manufacturers. I can’t believe Genesis thinks their cars are so much better than other cars in their class.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280

So far I’m still liking my 4xe after 2.5 yrs. I’ve got 44k in one and 45k in the other so if we drive them a bit I’m ok with whatever the trade or sale price is😂

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946

We are happy with both cars right now. The electric life is working for my wife. The truck is great. I like that I never see a twin Built to Serve. It’s a little light on options, but my next one will be better equipped.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    PDR is done on the Tesla (3 dings/dents in the hood from a branch falling during a windstorm) and it's...good enough. I know it's there still in some way, but with it being double skinned aluminum it's the best they can do short of a 4k + hood replacement. I'm sure I'll replace the whole thing at some point, but at least it is the original paint.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    https://autos.yahoo.com/chp-fighting-mad-intentional-wrong-193000293.html

Not sure what makes the CHP think they were targeted, this kind of driving seems to be a thing with bad drivers.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,963

@tifighter said:

IMHO, this is more a dealer network problem than a manufacturer problem. If more of them were forward, honest, and competitive, I bet they’d move far more units.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,275
    Several of ya'll should get your lucky bidding charms out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jg98xGWeM
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,340
    @corvette,
    I thought about posting that video, although I didn't watch it, but Hoovie.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Was at the Mercedes dealer today with the keys to a nice looking Jeep and finally found it in front by the service guys. Was about to get in it when the utility guy comes over & tells me I can't take it. Turns out, they found a gun in the glove compartment, a 9 mm revolver, so all they could do is lock the vehicle up & wait for the police to come. Happened to me once at Hertz back in 2017 and it was the same procedure there. The vehicle has to be locked down and the police are called to come retrieve the weapon. Was some excitement on a very rainy Friday. Why on earth would someone forget a gun in the glove box especially in a rental? Must admit though, the Jeep was a very nice looking model!

Never a dull day at work which is part of the fun. After being off these past 9 days, was happy about going back. Since there were a bunch of drivers off for the weekend, I was asked to go with another group just for today so of course I said I would. The boss knows I'm pretty easy to work with so I'm usually the first guy he asks to move when a change is necessary. Also nice to work with some different folks once in awhile.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    That makes me wonder why the Mercedes service department was digging through the glove compartment.
  • Options

@corvette said:
    Several of ya'll should get your lucky bidding charms out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jg98xGWeM

And THIS is the sound of your money on fire.

• Options

I would rather have the SSR SS he also has listed.

• Options
    andres3 said:

https://autos.yahoo.com/chp-fighting-mad-intentional-wrong-193000293.html

Not sure what makes the CHP think they were targeted, this kind of driving seems to be a thing with bad drivers.

I’d like to find out what made them conclude the guy hit them intentionally. Was he intoxicated or just awfully stupid? Seems like a you’d have to really hate cops to wreck a Corvette to get them.

• Options
    corvette said:

That makes me wonder why the Mercedes service department was digging through the glove compartment.

One of our guys found a pistol stuffed into the headliner of a rental return. Another time we found a .22 rifle in the trunk.

My guess is somebody flew in to do some dirty work and then left it because they couldn’t take it on the plane.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,992
    Yay, we paid off the Q5 7 months early! When we bought it a large percentage of the equity from the Pilot was absorbed in taxes, admin fees, extended warranty. As a result I bought GAP insurance. This was during pre-pandemic when cars depreciated fairly quickly and we didn’t want to write a check should the unthinkable happen. I wish I thought of this before, assuming positive equity, can GAP insurance be canceled before the loan is paid off ? We received a prorated amount back when the loan was closed.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    @sda - congrats! It's always nice to get rid of a recurring monthly bill. I was under the impression that GAP insurance is usually a one-time, non-refundable fee, but it was nice that you got a prorated amount back.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,531
    sda said:

Yay, we paid off the Q5 7 months early! When we bought it a large percentage of the equity from the Pilot was absorbed in taxes, admin fees, extended warranty. As a result I bought GAP insurance. This was during pre-pandemic when cars depreciated fairly quickly and we didn’t want to write a check should the unthinkable happen. I wish I thought of this before, assuming positive equity, can GAP insurance be canceled before the loan is paid off ? We received a prorated amount back when the loan was closed.

Generally, the balance of the GAP is used to pay down the overall balance due. At least, that's how it worked for us when we paid off the Outback early.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited March 23
    qbrozen said:

@tifighter said:

IMHO, this is more a dealer network problem than a manufacturer problem. If more of them were forward, honest, and competitive, I bet they’d move far more units.

Completely agree with this. I think I mentioned a note from Chrysler saying I had equity in the Jeep. Doubtful but worth a shot and I wouldn’t kick a Grand Cherokee out of the garage at the right deal.

After cutting off the first dude who could only ask ‘when can you come in?’, I got to a guy that seemed to want to help. I told him the unit I was interested in, status of my lease and even my payoff. I also sent 6 pics and the VIN at his request.

He says they can’t get the payoff till i’m there. BS, you have the payoff I was given and should be able to calculate the dealer payoff based on that. At least directionally, plus they have my name and the VIN. I offered to get on a call and give him anything else. No go, “I see you are really close to the dealer, when can you come in so we can give you the best deal!!