Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,029

Should include tax. And, yes, deductible has to come from offending party.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008

@imidazol97 said:
    @snakeweasel

Hope everything is okay. Running over your foot? Ouch.

Well back from the doctors and they said that there is nothing broken just muscle and soft tissue bruising. Said I'll get more pain over the next day or two before it starts getting better. So much for my plans this weekend.

And thanks for the concerns.

Glad to hear you will be OK Snake.
    I feel safer driving or being in a car, than I do walking next to a busy street or trying to cross a busy streets....there is a lot that can go wrong.
    Sore stretched muscles can be painful, but it is better than broken bones and torn muscles or tendons.
    Take care.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,172

@Michaell,
    The fiber internet provider in our area wants to do a mesh in most houses to give good connections throughout the home. They use multiple routers, Eero is the name. They charge $5 per month extra. They call it a mesh. Our router is in the middle of the house and things work well on both sides of our one router.

My cable/internet provider has transitioned from coax to Eero mesh systems. The only coax is now from the pole into the house to their modem, and then from there they provide you with however many Eeros your setup needs. Even the TV box is wireless. Works pretty well.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

Our WiFi modem is in the basement where the cable comes in and for most devices we have no problem. But my son’s computer/gaming system wasn’t getting what it needed at the far end of the house. I suggested a signal booster but he went with running a direct cable from the modem to his system. That worked but it’s somewhat sloppy with wires running through the house.

I did that here a few years ago when my first Smart TV was acting flaky with it wifi signal because it was in the diagonally opposite corner of the house from the router. I bought a 50 foot cable and was able to run it overhead in the basement from point to point. The tricky part was drilling a hole into the cavity of the partition wall in the office near the router to snake up the cable. Then I cut in a box for it in the wall and made a professional enough install at that end. On the opposite end I was able to make use of a heating duct hole in the floor to get it to the TV. Solved all the problems the TV was having. Now it goes unused with the Eero.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,352

@snakeweasel said:

@imidazol97 said:
    @snakeweasel

Well back from the doctors and they said that there is nothing broken just muscle and soft tissue bruising. Said I'll get more pain over the next day or two before it starts getting better. So much for my plans this weekend.

What kind of car?

A rather hard one I have to say. I think it was being driven by a squirrel.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    @snakeweasel, glad to hear you are okay and not experiencing too much pain. Hope you got important information from the driver….geez.

Well the guy did stop and the police took down all the information. They are supposed to email me the report and all related info.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,761
    I have 2 coax connections. the one in my office where the modem is. and in the family room, one that I have the main cable/dvr box plugged into (with an HDMI run from that box to the TV on the wall). the other 2 TVs have wireless boxes that remote in to the main one. So I assume all the TVs could run off one of those.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,184
    stickguy said:

I have 2 coax connections. the one in my office where the modem is. and in the family room, one that I have the main cable/dvr box plugged into (with an HDMI run from that box to the TV on the wall). the other 2 TVs have wireless boxes that remote in to the main one. So I assume all the TVs could run off one of those.

Our house is old enough that the living room and each of the 3 bedrooms have a coax jack in them. Since we use cable for a (slight) majority of our TV watching, it works well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    we have 5 all together. another in our bedroom and 1 in the finished basement (both with TVs but neither connected to coax). and I think one in the 1st floor office.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,501
    edited May 3
    venture said:

The insurance company called and said they would email the offer for the totaled Subaru - which they did.

The offer is fair, but I noticed they reduced it by my deductible. Is that something I will get back when my company settles with the company of the guy who hit me? It doesn't seem right that I should pay a deductible for something that wasn't my fault.

Also - After reading their Valuation Summary, there is nothing in there for sales tax, doc fee, etc. for the new car. Is that because normally a person hasn't bought anything yet or is that just not done? It should be!

I emailed these questions to the adjuster, but also mentioned if it pushes their Valuation past the estimate to repair (it would be close) then forget I asked. She seemed nice on the phone. I didn't call because they never answer their phone.

When you say "The insurance company," do you mean your insurance company or the other insurance company?

Their offer is fair, but is just that. A first offer in hopes that you will take it. Look up what comparable models are selling for. Then make sure you add tax, title, doc fee, ect and send them a counter offer. Don't use the "L" word (Lawyer) or they will cease negotiation...

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,670

@snakeweasel said:

@imidazol97 said:
    @snakeweasel

What kind of car?

A rather hard one I have to say. I think it was being driven by a squirrel.

————————————————-
    There’s your answer. Don’t mess with the squirrels. Stop feeding them empty peanut shells. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,785
    venture said:

The insurance company called and said they would email the offer for the totaled Subaru - which they did.

The offer is fair, but I noticed they reduced it by my deductible. Is that something I will get back when my company settles with the company of the guy who hit me? It doesn't seem right that I should pay a deductible for something that wasn't my fault.

Also - After reading their Valuation Summary, there is nothing in there for sales tax, doc fee, etc. for the new car. Is that because normally a person hasn't bought anything yet or is that just not done? It should be!

I emailed these questions to the adjuster, but also mentioned if it pushes their Valuation past the estimate to repair (it would be close) then forget I asked. She seemed nice on the phone. I didn't call because they never answer their phone.

Those are good questions. The devil is in the details and the customer always seems to come in last.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

@snakeweasel, glad to hear you are okay and not experiencing too much pain. Hope you got important information from the driver….geez.

Well the guy did stop and the police took down all the information. They are supposed to email me the report and all related info.

I hope you get some compensation for your pain and suffering….and for the damage to your career as an acrobat. (Refer them to me and I’ll swear I saw you perform).😅😅

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,923
    nyccarguy said:

venture said:

When you say "The insurance company," do you mean your insurance company or the other insurance company?

Their offer is fair, but is just that. A first offer in hopes that you will take it. Look up what comparable models are selling for. Then make sure you add tax, title, doc fee, ect and send them a counter offer. Don't use the "L" word (Lawyer) or they will cease negotiation...
    My insurance company. They will go after the offending party then. Also, for the deductible. She said it may take a while to get the deductible.

The sales tax was included after I looked closer. They said "unfortunately" they don't include any dealer fees.

I'm not happy, but glad it's over. :/

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,425
    I don't see why they would include dealer fees in the settlement. That varies by dealer and how the purchase is negotiated.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    venture said:

nyccarguy said:

venture said:

My insurance company. They will go after the offending party then. Also, for the deductible. She said it may take a while to get the deductible.

The sales tax was included after I looked closer. They said "unfortunately" they don't include any dealer fees.

I'm not happy, but glad it's over. :/
    ————————————————-
    I believe you said you have “replacement cost” insurance, so I guess they weaseled-out on that technically.

FWIW, I also have “replacement cost” insurance and as good as my insurance company is I’m willing to bet I’d get screwed on dealer fees too.

jmonroe
  • Options

I don't see why they would include dealer fees in the settlement. That varies by dealer and how the purchase is negotiated.

Yes, but the point was I now have to pay these fees I would not have had to pay if he hadn't ran into me. I just paid doc fee, etc. 5 months ago.

• Options
    We took the loaner Outback to Maryland last week. An interesting thing.

It has the adaptive cruise control which I was using. On the interstate a guy made a questionable merge in front of me. The cruise control applied the brakes to keep from hitting him, then resumed speed when he got out of the way. Pretty slick.

I had my foot hovering over the brake pedal, but never used it.

• Options
    @venture,
    Sometimes adaptive cruise can act funny on curves. Overall, I like having it. I have to be careful driving my wife's Corsair because it doesn't have it.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,502
    venture said:

Yes, but the point was I now have to pay these fees I would not have had to pay if he hadn't ran into me. I just paid doc fee, etc. 5 months ago.
    Should have gone for the pain and suffering

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,439
    venture said:

It has the adaptive cruise control which I was using. On the interstate a guy made a questionable merge in front of me. The cruise control applied the brakes to keep from hitting him, then resumed speed when he got out of the way. Pretty slick.

I've been very impressed with the Distronic Plus in my C43. I've gained enough confidence that I just let it do its thing when I'm in a traffic jam or on a long internet slog. A neat trick is that it will change lanes if safe to do so by just activating the turn signal.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    That's cool.

I told this before.

One time we were going up 695 out of Baltimore. Traffic looked stopped up ahead. I just let the car slow down on its own until it stopped. I didn't tell Mrs. venture.

• Options
    My Explorer is pretty smart when towing a trailer in tow/haul mode.
    It shuts off the rear parking sensors and blind spot.
    When I set the cruise control , I could feel it braking before I would have on my own, ao it knows the trailer is there.
  • Options
    venture said:

That's cool.

I told this before.

One time we were going up 695 out of Baltimore. Traffic looked stopped up ahead. I just let the car slow down on its own until it stopped. I didn't tell Mrs. venture.

————————————————-
    We have adaptive cruise control on both my ‘15 Genny and Mrs. j’s ‘18 Legacy. I think it works a little better on the Legacy, maybe because it’s 3 years newer but it’s pretty good on both.

I didn’t do what you did, I showed Mrs. j how it worked one time. I won’t do that again, believe me. She didn’t seem very impressed with the technology.

If we were at home I would have made a few laps for that mistake. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options

venture said:

I've been very impressed with the Distronic Plus in my C43. I've gained enough confidence that I just let it do its thing when I'm in a traffic jam or on a long internet slog. A neat trick is that it will change lanes if safe to do so by just activating the turn signal.
    I’ve driven cars with adaptive cruise and it’s kind of neat that you can actually take your hands off the wheel for a short time and the car will basically drive itself but I’d never be comfortable letting a computer take control in my personal vehicle.

As an example, last week I was driving one of the Pacifica minivans which has adaptive cruise and collision avoidance. A car in front of me kicked up a piece of road debris and it hit the van right in the grill where the sensor was located. Instantly all sorts of warning lights went on indicating that the systems had failed. Fortunately, I wasn’t using cruise but I wonder what could have happened if I was.

Also, I bet it cost the company thousands to repair what looked like minor damage.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,997
    edited May 4

@oldfarmer50 said:
    I’ve driven cars with adaptive cruise and it’s kind of neat that you can actually take your hands off the wheel for a short time and the car will basically drive itself but I’d never be comfortable letting a computer take control in my personal vehicle.

As an example, last week I was driving one of the Pacifica minivans which has adaptive cruise and collision avoidance. A car in front of me kicked up a piece of road debris and it hit the van right in the grill where the sensor was located. Instantly all sorts of warning lights went on indicating that the systems had failed. Fortunately, I wasn’t using cruise but I wonder what could have happened if I was.

Also, I bet it cost the company thousands to repair what looked like minor damage.

Not all the cars with adaptive cruise steer themselves. If they have lane departure it will keep you in the lane but it’s not the same as full steering assist.

Like @explorerx4 i have to be careful in my truck if I’ve recently driven my wife’s car. It has the ACC with steering assist but the truck has old fashioned cruise.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,501
    venture said:

Count me as a big fan of adaptive cruise control. We've had it on quite a few cars, starting with out '17 Pilot. It has evolved and definitely gotten better. Of all the cars I've owned with ACC, the Jeep is the best as far as smoothness goes.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,265

venture said:

Front end damage is a big drawback to this tech. A minor shunt will end up totaling older cars.

Some cars also have stop warning/brake assist features unrelated to ACC, where they can still sense imminent danger (maybe connected to parking sensors) and engage the brakes without using cruise. My past few MBs have had this, I've had it engage when a dingdong in front of me feels the need to turn at 2 mph and I don't slow down - sets off a chime and the car might apply the brakes.

• Options
    It’s really a moot point as the feds are requiring collision avoidance on all cars in 2026.

• Options

It’s really a moot point as the feds are requiring collision avoidance on all cars in 2026.

——————————————
    I think you mean TFICA (The Federal Insurance Companies of America).

jmonroe
  • Options
    It took a while to get to the Kentucky Derby race but it was worth the wait.
  • Options
    fintail said:

venture said:

Front end damage is a big drawback to this tech. A minor shunt will end up totaling older cars.

Some cars also have stop warning/brake assist features unrelated to ACC, where they can still sense imminent danger (maybe connected to parking sensors) and engage the brakes without using cruise. My past few MBs have had this, I've had it engage when a dingdong in front of me feels the need to turn at 2 mph and I don't slow down - sets off a chime and the car might apply the brakes.

My Legacy has that and there is one place on a road close to my house where it lights up the red lights on the windshield as I make the left curve. There is a big shrub there near the edge of the road that it thinks I am going to run into.

I just keep going and it relaxes.

• Options

One of these days, it will go off at 9 pm. I hate TV for what it does to sporting events.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,439
    edited May 4

I've attended the Derby twice- the infield in 1979 and in a box seat with good friends in 1987. That was enough for me. These days the thing I like most about the Derby is that it means that the Grand Prix of Monaco, the Indy 500, and the Coca Cola 600 are less than 4 weeks away.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    These days the Derby is far less about the race itself and all about the spectacle and the event. It always was to some extent but that part seems to have exploded in recent years. I have seen videos of the goings on prior to the race and a lot of those in attendance don't give a hoot about the race and don't even see it. It is about the outfit you're wearing, drinking, smoking cigars, and one big party.

• Options
    sounds a lot like the super bowl.

• Options
    ab348 said:

These days the Derby is far less about the race itself and all about the spectacle and the event. It always was to some extent but that part seems to have exploded in recent years. I have seen videos of the goings on prior to the race and a lot of those in attendance don't give a hoot about the race and don't even see it. It is about the outfit you're wearing, drinking, smoking cigars, and one big party.

The infield has always been about debauchery. Plus, the worst viewing for the actual race. Naturally, that's the only place I've been, when attending.

Even 40 years ago, it was a pretty expensive event to attend, otherwise.

Indy 500. Four years in the infield, and one in the stands.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguy said:

sounds a lot like the super bowl.

————————————————
    There was a time when the working man could afford to go to the Super Bowl. Not anymore.

Back in the Steelers heyday I could have gone to 2 of their Super Bowls (won the lottery once and was offered a ticket another time). I sold at face value my lottery tickets to my cousin because I didn’t want to put up with the hassle and turned down the one I was offered at face value for the same reason.

However, both of my sons and a nephew went to the Steelers Super Bowl in Tampa in 2008 (I think that was the year). All of them are still glad they went even though their tickets were in the nose bleed section and admitted they could have seen the game better on TV.

jmonroe
  • Options
    We didn't go to the Super Bowl in 2022 with the Bengals (LA). We were prepared to go in 2023, but they lost in the AFC Championship game (Phoenix).

But, even a poor schlub with a job can go to the Derby.

The Super Bowl is hideously expensive. Yeah, hotels, rental cars, etc are twice the normal price, but the $5K-$10K per ticket is just off the charts. I can spend 10 days in Europe for the price of going to the Super Bowl.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Also, having to take your wife is just nuts. I went to the Final Four in New Orleans in 2012. Drove from Cincinnati, split a hotel room with a buddy. Just bought one ticket, only paid for one person's meals and drinks. It was heaven!

Also, my team won it all, so there is that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:

A couple of years too late for me.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,582
    kyfdx said:

Also, having to take your wife is just nuts. I went to the Final Four in New Orleans in 2012. Drove from Cincinnati, split a hotel room with a buddy. Just bought one ticket, only paid for one person's meals and drinks. It was heaven!

In March 2009 I was working in Cleveland and drove down to Dayton for Pitt's first two games of the tournament. When they made the Sweet Sixteen I looked into tickets, plane and game, for the next two games and airfare was bonkers.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    In 2022, one of my kids and I went to a Yankees at Guardians playoff game.
    Most of the lots were $100 to park.
  • Options

In 2022, one of my kids and I went to a Yankees at Guardians playoff game.
    Most of the lots were $100 to park.

————————————————-
    You should have walked or taken a boat.

jmonroe
  • Options
    @jmonroe1,
    We had prepaid parking for $22, although it took us over an hour to get out of the garage.
  • Options

@jmonroe1,
    We had prepaid parking for $22, although it took us over an hour to get out of the garage.

GABP in Cincinnati: We park for free in Newport and walk.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

kyfdx said:

In March 2009 I was working in Cleveland and drove down to Dayton for Pitt's first two games of the tournament. When they made the Sweet Sixteen I looked into tickets, plane and game, for the next two games and airfare was bonkers.
    Dayton is a sweet place for the First Four.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,181
    We like to think so (here in the Dayton area). :)

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    venture said:

Well, you are being covered for the cost of replacing your car.
    If you walked into the dealer and bought a new car you would have to pay doc fees as well.
    You are going to get a brand new car, which is worth more than your original car...newer, lower mileage etc.
    But, when dealing with insurance companies it is them against you, and if anything doesn't seem fair, you can complain....and probably take it to an ombudsman or the insurance bureau.

• Options
    Long story short:
    George Ghazzoul is warning other drivers about the new Smart Summon feature on Tesla vehicles after his self-driving vehicle side-swiped another in a parking lot.

His car has Smart Summon, it is like a valet service, it allows your car to come to you using your phone's GPS as its target destination.
    Ghazzoul decided to give it a try on April 10 when he was at the Fairview Shopping Centre parking lot.
    He used the feature to summon his parked car to pick him up.
    "I was within range when I activated it," he said. "I saw it moving initially, but then it took a sharp turn right instead of pulling out of the spot first." He tried to deactivate the feature, but the car didn't stop in time, so he ended up sideswiping the car parked beside it.
    The estimate for damage to both cars was several thousand dollars. Ghazzoul contacted Tesla about the accident.
    He said since it was their feature that malfunctioned, they should take responsibility, but he said they told him to contact his insurance company instead and that it was not their problem since he activated the feature.
    His insurance company, meanwhile, said he was fully at fault for the accident.
    What's worse for Ghazzoul is that he has since discovered that it wasn't even legal for him to use this driverless feature in public spaces in Quebec.
    https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-man-on-the-hook-for-thousands-of-dollars-after-a-feature-on-his-tesla-caused-an-accident-1.6873830#:~:text=George Ghazzoul is warning other,was his love of technology.