Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Wagon

limlim Member Posts: 1
Does anyone know about the reliability of the ford
focus wagon in Europe or where I might found out
about its reliability record in Europe?
Thanks

Comments

• herbieherbie Member Posts: 3
    That seems to be the one question that legions of skeptical buyers need answered. I too would like to know how this model held up in Europe.
  • joybjoyb Member Posts: 1
    Question directed at: Current owners or past owners of Ford Focus Wagon SE, would you recommend I purchase a Ford Focus Wagon SE? Have you had mechanical problems with the car? How does the car handle?
  • alexabalexab Member Posts: 5
    How can you compare car in Europe and here?
    In Europe most of them with 5 sp, here most of them with AT. In Europe average mileage 12000 km/year, here 12000 miles.. Different speed, different road conditions.
    Even if first year model doesn't have problem at all, are you sure that AT will last more than 6OK miles? Ford's AT not very reliable
  • rhodrhod Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Focus wagon 4 months ago. Within the first 30 days, I started to experiencing the same noises. I took the car in to the Ford dealership and they said they could not find a problem. 3 months later, the noises coming from the brakes and the rear got annoyingly louder. Also the back middle seatbelt stopped working where you could not extract it. Just recently I took the car back. It's in the shop now. They believe the cause of all these noises has something to do with faulty rear brake parts. So they said they are replacing it with upgraded rear brake parts for this vehicle. Once it's done, they will take it for a test drive to see if it will solve the problem. I hope this will help.
  • cnollkampercnollkamper Member Posts: 43
    Knowing the reliability of a car from Europe is actually a good thing. The Focus for instance, the number one selling car there, is quite a reliable performer. Owmers have told me so. Particularly the 1.8 Zetec they have and the Turbo diesel we dont. The car is the same, with the exception of trim levels, and options. The suspensions are actually a little firmer on some models. And european roads are great to test a cars roadworthiness, for instance, the Autoroutes(High speed motorways) are impeccable. However the city streets are much older in a lot of places than anything in the US, and there are still many cobblestone streets. The driving habits in the city would be a workout for any car, particularly in Paris, London or Amsterdam , I have driven in all these cities and it is literally CUT THROAT! So in my opinion, something that can make it there, should be able to make it nearly anywhere.
  • leovyleovy Member Posts: 1
    I too am hearing these noises. Took it to the dealership and could not find the problem. Any luck finding what the problem was?
  • wrighttomwrighttom Member Posts: 1
    We have had the SE wagon for about a month now and have no complaints. Drive is very comfortable and responsive; noise level is very low (comparing my 97 Transport); gas mileage excellent (near published so far); handles well in rain (19 days straight til yesterday) and comfortable experience in snow one day.

Seating (front) is excellent for us; it is first vehicle where I do not have to adjust the seat after my wife drives it and THAT is a bonus. The tilt/telescopic steering column is a plus on longer trips.

For some reason today my speed control 'bit-the-dust'; looked in manual for fuse location but was no where to be found so I have to go to dealer. Hope that is all it is!!!!

I have the Vetec engine and find it powerful enough for our purpose and it is not a problem to "keep up" with the traffic -- in fact, I find it sometimes wants to "extend it's legs" and fools me at the speed versus "feel like speed".

Overall, very impressed. Hope it continues as the car ages.
  • rev4rev4 Member Posts: 38
    I've had my focus wagon since dec. 99 and have 9000 miles on it. LOVE THIS CAR. GET ONE IF YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT.
  • pageclotpageclot Member Posts: 1
    A lot of driving

We've owned our Wagon for 4 months now, and have put 24000 km on it (that's 14,400 miles or so). A lot of driving. Some of it in beastly weather. We live at the end of an 1800 foot long driveway, and there have been a few mornings when we've had to bull our way through snowdrifts over the front fender (not recommended, by the way, you'll get snow in the engine compartment).

Reliability

So far, we've had a good experience with the Focus. There was a recall of Ford Focuses, but it didn't affect us (the recall was for rear brakes, interior trim, and cruise control, so if you've had problems with any of those, go to your dealer and find out if you're affected by the recall).

The hood wouldn't close after a particularly cold morning, but it turned out the cable was just stiff with the cold. Ramming the hood release in and out from the interior of the car fixed the problem.

A cold climate handled well

The car handles cold weather well, starting easily, heating up quickly. Unlike our other car, the thermostat works.

So far, we're really happy. Looks like we'll be putting on about 50000 miles per year, so we'll get a really good chance to see how reliable the Wagon is.

For a more detailed review:
    http://valuable.epinions.com/auto-review-4AB-218C16F8-3A2F0AFB-prod2

There are also other great reviews there.

p
  • adryan13adryan13 Member Posts: 2
    I've hd my new Focus wagon for about 2 months. Starting from about the 3rd week, I periodically get a "lurching forward" movement. The car doesn't actually move, but you can definitely feel a forward motion. This is especially true when you shift from 2nd to Drive (auto trns) when driving down a steep hill. (Movement occurs about 10 minutes after, not immediately after shifting.) However, it happens at other times without having shifted first. Any ideas?

Also car handles tight right curves just fine, but tends to roll (for lack of a better word) on tight left curves. Again, any ideas? a13
  • driver49driver49 Member Posts: 4
    I recently(12/19) bought a new 2000 Focus wagon. So far I love it! It was built 8/12/00 so escaped recalls. I researched the car extensively and have been reading these consumer comments as well. I have noticed that when I stop there is a slight vibration as car goes to idle while in drive. I asked Ford service guy about it and he says it is just how some 4-cylinders react at low idle. Anyone else have this experience? I'd appreciate feedback.
  • dawatdawat Member Posts: 5
    Just a word of caution - when the Ford Contour came out, all the reviewers praised it, partially because of its good history in Europe. I have one and it has had problem after problem, recall after recall. In fact, their reliability was so great that it was replaced 5 years after introduction with...the Ford Focus. Because of the problems I have had and the level of service I have received with the Contour, it will be a very long time before I trust a Ford product again. To be fair, I was initially impressed with the design aspects of the Focus and will be watching to see if its long term reliability lives up to its promises. But wait and see how the Focus does in THIS country, don't rely on Europe's indications.
  • unityunity Member Posts: 2
    Thinking seriously about getting the wagon. Are the ABS brakes a good idea? How does the interior walls and ceiling hold up, seems kind of cardboardy? Has Ford fixed all the problems that came up or resulted in recalls in 2000? Tough questions but would appreciate any comments.
  • driver49driver49 Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a new 2000 Focus Wagon. It was built 8/12/00 and delivered just under the wire or it would of been a 2001. My longtime (independent) mechanic didn't feel the ABS brakes were necessary, so not an option I purchased.Since I have not had the car very long, no info on ceilings/interior walls. However, the structure itself was built with safety in mind, and with all the research I have done, it seems a very safe vehicle, especially for its size. So far I am happy with the car. There's alot there for the $$ I previously owned a 1998 Contour. Like the Focus it was a new model in U.S. and had several recalls. I don't look at this as a negative as it is a preventative measure, so that a potential problem does not occur. I was totally satisfied with the Contour, and look forward to driving my new Focus. I recommend you consider the Focus. Good luck!
  • matcukmatcuk Member Posts: 8
    I bought my 2000 DE wagon in December of '99, and although I have been satisfied with it in general, I am *extremely* dissatisfied with the number of recalls-- four, to date, if I am remembering correctly. I don't have the notices in front of me, but I believe these involved a speed control cable, some kind of switch component (EGR?) in the engine, a retaining clip problem with the left rear wheel, and, most recently, a recall for problems with interior trim (A pillar). And not only that, I was told, when I ordered the car, that it was manufactured *after* the first two recalls had already been addressed, so I was considered "lucky."

Even for a new model year, this seems like too many recalls. Does anyone know if there is any kind of compensation we can receive for all of these recalls? I have spent hours at the dealership. How many recalls need to be made on a vehicle before something like a class action suit is warranted?

In general, I like the Focus, and will keep it, but my next car will probably be Japanese. Ford still cannot match the quality of the Honda I owned previously. Are you reading any of this, Ford? Do you care?
  • rayatesrayates Member Posts: 4
    We have had our wagon since October, 1999. This means that it has been part of all the recalls. It goes in next week for the pillar.

Other than the recalls, we have had no other problems with the car.
  • taratara Member Posts: 30
    Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tara and I've just started working for Edmunds.com. I'll be your new host for Station Wagons:)
  • cobblehillcobblehill Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Focus wagon (jackpot gold) for 4 months now.I have had one problem so far, the S.belt tension pulley had to be replaced because of bearing failure and also the belt was replaced by Ford,other wise a excellent wagon. I had mine sound coated when new and it extremely quiet. I have every option except ABS, which I did not want because of terrible problems I had with my 1998 windstar.This car really doesn't need ABS unless you live in the snow belt.

Just a note for my American friends,my wagon being a Canadian edition,it does not come standard with the Zetec engine,I had to get a package to get the Zetec as a option. The standard engine is the 2.0 litre 110 HP.

And of coarse our prices are a lot more than yours.Mine was priced out at $23,400.Thanks for listening
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    This came on 6 weeks ago, then went out after a week. A week later it came on again, and the engine would run rough occasionally. The light even blinked a couple of times (manual says to slow down or you'll overheat the emissions controls).
    Yesterday, the car just died as I went around a corner - when I restarted it, the light was off, and the car now runs ok (KOW). What gives? Mine is a March 2000 LX. Could this be the EGR(?) recall mentioned earlier (I never got a notice)? I've seen other postings about this light, but their dealers claimed it was bad gas or a loose fuel cap. My dealer has offered to hook up his OBD reader (for $90), and I even scheduled it in, but now that the light's off, what will he find? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    I don't have a Focus (it's on my shopping list, that's why I'm lurking), but in my experience, you're just wasting your money trying to diagnose an intermittent problem when the problem doesn't show itself when the car's in the shop.
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    What should be a warranty repair or diagnosis of a problem?? Go to a different dealer. He doesn't seem to want to get your return business if he's already chiseling 90.00 out of you to put this car on a scope!!!!
    I thought so too, that's why I resisted bringing it in. I talked to a different service rep (same dealer) and he said "Of course we'll cover that under warranty." Turns out it was a faulty exhaust gasket for the rough running and a new cyclinder head for the emissions light(!). I'm glad Ford is taking care of this, but I shouldn't have to work so hard to get them to find their problems. The customer service number insisted there were no tsb's or anything, but the direction to change the head came from Ford. It's scary to think what other problems will pop up - I thought this was a proven engine. I've had good luck with Fords in the past, but...
  • adryan13adryan13 Member Posts: 2
    I had the exact same problem with the engine light on, etc., on my 2001 Focus station wagon. Dealer handled everything under warranty, but took well over a week to get the part. Now the piece at the end of the seat track (track to move seat back/forth...) has come off. Just the decorative end cap, but it's still annoying. Otherwise I love the car.By the way, what's "sound coating?" Focus does seem to have a little high road noise.
    Adryan13: Thanks for the reply. Did they replace the cylinder head and gaskets? I've been waiting 10 days for one of the gaskets. Don't really want to drive it with a supposed leaky head, so I'm driving the gasguzzlinvacationvan :( .
    Sound coating is a polymer undercoating similar to rustproofing. Sometimes they also inject it into cavities (on your car!). Caveats are similar to rustproofing - drilling of holes and creating points for water to collect. I don't have it, but I'm half deaf anyway, so my wife tells me.
  • perry40perry40 Member Posts: 94
    My mother-in-law is visiting from out of town this week & she drives an 01 Focus Wagon which she traded a 99 Hyundai Elantra Wagon on last summer ... don't know why, the 'lantra was perfectly O.K. ... I think her boyfriend talked her into it 'cause he didn't like Hyundai's or something? Anyhoo, long story longer, mom-in-law now has 21,000km on her Focus and has had her fair shair of trouble with the car ... runs poorly in wet/snowy weather, brake chatter & squeal (dealer says there's nothing wrong with the brakes), loss of power when driving up grades, electrical glitches, etc. The car looks good & has gobs of room, but I wonder about it's reliability & build quality ...
    B.T.W. Isn't the plural of Focus "Foci"?? ;)
  • joee1joee1 Member Posts: 16
    I've really been considering an '01 Focus wagon with anti-lock brakes and side air bags.

That is until I read the comments on this web site.

Should I just forget it and look for a more expensive wagon?

I'm hoping to buy by the end of April '01
  • jjc5jjc5 Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I'm the owner of a 2000 SE wagon, approx. one year old, with 9000 miles (I just commute locally), and I love it. I have had two recalls -- the rear wheel problem and the A-pillar -- and no further problems. The car handles well in snow and ice, I get good gas mileage -- 25 city/29 highway -- and I haven't had a serious problem yet, knock on wood.

I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a small station wagon, with as much cargo space as the VW Passat (yes, it's true), with good features at an excellent price.

If you are looking for a little extra pizzaz, the wagon also comes in the Street Edition, and the soon-to-be-offered ZTW trim, the ZTS version of the wagon.

P.S. I do recommend the ABS and the Advance Trac. My fiance has the ZX3 with the Advance Trac and it performs amazingly well in the snow. Remember, a fully-loaded wagon (even in the new trim levels) still is 4-6,000 cheaper than a entry level Passat.
  • kelly5mpvkelly5mpv Member Posts: 11
    I wish all of you luck. Really I do. But when your wonderful wagons hit 40,000 miles. You will be sorry. The 7 biggest mistakes of my life.
  • boccebbocceb Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my Focus Wagon for 14 months now and I am very dissapointed in the reliability of the vehicle. 4 recalls so far and numerous other problems: 1. Rattle in the rear of the car that they can't find. The dealer said my shock mount was cracked, they replaced it, but the rattle is still there. 2. I have a leak that happens on downpours that they still haven't been able to find. The car goes back in the shop this week for the leak. 3. Gas gauge stopped working one day, they replaced the gas pump. 4. Windshield washer jet needed to be replaced. 5. The brakes squeal - no problem found. Other than that, I like the way the car drives. I just think its in the shop too much for a new car. By the way I have 27000 miles on it, and I bought the extended warranty which was a good move. I use synthetic oil and change it every 5000 miles. I'm hoping this car will last me 5 or 6 years. More to follow...
  • jjc5jjc5 Member Posts: 16
    For those of you experiencing a rear rattle, look closely at your license plate. If you only have two screws at the top securing the plate, install the other two screws at the bottom. You might be surprised by the results!
  • amy37amy37 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. My husband and I just purchased a used 2000 ford focus wagon. I have to admit, I am feeling a little uneasy reading these posts! We did not purchase the extended warranty, and the car has 20,000 miles on it. Do you recommend it? Also, I noticed yesterday that the front driver side carpet is very wet. I called the dealership and they will fix the leak under warranty. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, was it easily fixed? Should I point anything out to the dealer? I'd appreciate any advice I can get... thanks!
  • marvinbosmarvinbos Member Posts: 2
    Purchased '00 SE Wagon new in December of 99. Some time ago it developed an intermittent 'squeaking' sound from somewhere in the back seat or cargo area. It is impossible to pinpoint exactly where it is, but it happens whether the seat is regular or folded down.
    The squeaking is now constant and is very annoying. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Marvin
  • caciccacic Member Posts: 3
    My car has 19,000 miles and is exactly one year old. One month after getting the car it was spraying oil on the engine. Went in periodically for all the recalls (4 recalls I think). This past Tuesday night, while parked the key wouldn't go into the ignition and the steering wheel locked up and the brake pedal couldn't be depressed. Car had to be towed to the dealership (free roadside assistance) where the dealership told me that it is only a matter of time before they issue another recall because "tons" of Focus' are having this problem. They have to order a new ignition and steering column. I have a rental, but it will take 3 to 5 days to fix. Of the 365 days I have had this car, I would say it has been in the dealership a total of 15 to 20 days. I think I made a mistake in purchasing this car.
  • amy37amy37 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, we just bought a used 2000 Ford Focus Wagon and are also experiencing a terrible leaking problem. The front drivers side carpet is soaked. I have seen the water coming in beside the dashboard. It is been to the dealer three times so far for this problem. It is there today for the fourth time. I am praying that they can finally fix it. They claim that they will replace the carpet in the car too, to avoid a mildew smell in the future. Have you had any luck with your leak? Did they find the source, and if so, where is it? I am really concerned about this. We, too, want to keep this car for at least 5 years, and don't want the bottom to eventually rust out due to water problems! I'd appreciate it if you could get back to me. Thanks!
  • nnorthnnorth Member Posts: 4
    Because your symptoms sounded so much like what I experienced many years ago with a Subaru wagon, I thought I'd let you know how my leaking problem finally got fixed. First, can you tell if your Focus' windshield has been replaced? If so, your problem may be the windshield molding not forming a proper seal with the glass. I suppose it could've come that way from the factory but for the record, the Subaru dealer that replaced my windshield simply could not figure out why my car started to leak after the replacement (just like your car, water would literally stream in from the sides of the dashboard while I drove it in the rain).

I took it to several Subaru dealers and they tried a lot of useless hocus-pocus. When I eventually brought the car to an independent glass shop they stated the problem as if it were obvious, ordered a new molding, then removed my windshield and replaced it using the new molding. The car was as dry as a British punchline afterward. Also, some reassurance for you: the original carpet never took on a stink after it dried once and for all, and I had the leaking problem for nearly (maybe over?) a year living in rainy New England.
  • nnorthnnorth Member Posts: 4
    ...on the Focus wagon? Based on the placement of the rear wheel well, it looks as if it they might, or at least go further down than they do on a Taurus, which is about halfway.

This one particular aspect of 'style over substance' especially irks me. 4-door vehicales without a fully retracting rear window often create an uncomfortably strong wind current right at your ear, making it hard to enjoy a beautiful day (or evening) driving at a good clip with the windows open.

I'm considering buying a Focus wagon in the next few weeks. If you own one, please respond.
  • boccebbocceb Member Posts: 2
    After 4 tries, the delearship finally fixed my water leak. Mine sounds different than yours in that it was leaking in the passenger side front and I could never see it coming in. Here's what my receipt says: "Seam seal hold right front cowling. Water tested - found spot weld right side leaking. Resealed and painted weld to repair. re-tested - all ok." If you need any more info, email me. To "nnorth": the rear windows do not go all the way down. take a focus out for a ride, you'll like it.
    nnorth: the windows roll down on my sedan with about 4" exposed at the front, none at the rear. I share your opinion that windows should roll DOWN. They do on the Echo, but that may not be the car you want. I drove home with all windows down today and was not buffeted like I would have been in my Omni or Spirit. Around Chicago, I find myself driving with the AC on and the windows up to shut out traffic noise. If you get AC, get the bigger engine if you can. My car's fine except when I take off from a light with the AC on.
    PS to regular visitors - Regarding the engine light and head replacement, my car's been fine since the work was done several months ago. (posts #20 & 25).
    Happy driving!
  • patkeithpatkeith Member Posts: 6
    I've left several posts on Edmunds about how relatively happy I was with my 2000 Focus (ZTech engine, automatic, now 17,000 mile)

Not anymore.

I'm now leaving posts on several boards to warn of problems and see if others are having the same ones:

1. Key won't go into the ignition. My key was cranky going into the ignition several times, but I didn't think much about it. Thursday it wouldn't go in AT ALL. I tried for 20 minutes (yes, I turned the key both ways, and also tried my spare key). I finally called a tow truck. He worked on it for about 10 minutes after he got there (since he had no idea how he was going to tow the car locked in Park with the wheels turned). Finally it went in for him, and I thought I was lucky. Until Airport Marina Ford in L.A. told me that they had no problem getting the key in, and that they won't do anything until the problem happens again (read that, until I'm stuck God knows where with a key that won't go in the ignition). I hope cacic is right and that there will be a recall, because I'm getting tired of having to fight with Ford "Customer Service." (An aside: I had a Honda for nearly 10 years and called headquarters ONCE in that time. And my problem was immediately taken care of. DO NOT expect that from Ford).

2. New brake pads and rotors machined at 17,000 miles. Yeah, you read that mileage correctly. I'm not a "slam on your brakes to stop" kind of guy, and my brakes last a LOOOOOOONG time. Thinking back, I'm not sure I had to change the pads on my Ranger for the entire 30,000 miles I ran it. Our Mustang with 50-some thousand miles have had new brakes ONCE and the rotors haven't been touched. They also tell me that I will need NEW rotors the next time I need pads... so new rotors around 34,000 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They (the dealer and Ford "Customer Service" seem to think that this is okay).

3. Gas mileage. As long as the car was in, I had them check the gas mileage, and they calculated it at exactly what I had: 17 in the city and 22 on the highway. And they seem to think, again, that that is perfectly normal. Again as my 6 cylinder Ranger (albeit with a manual), I got up to 20 in the city and mid to upper 20s on the highway!

Can't wait to get my Consumer Reports survey this year...

Lastly, stay away from Airport Marina Ford in L.A. I didn't buy my car there because the sales people creeped me out (brow-beating me into taking the wagon they had on the lot, and 6-8 salespeople standing at the windows WAITING to pounce). Service is no better.
  • rayatesrayates Member Posts: 4
    My car was bought in October, 1999. It has had all of the recalls. I have had no problems with brakes, ignition, or leaks. I live in a relatively small city about 60 miles east of Kansas City. Almost all of the miles on the car are highway miles. I am regularly getting 30 miles/gallon.

I had a squeaking problem in the rear hatch. That seemed to be caused by loose trim on the hatch.

I guess I one of the few happy owners of this car.
  • joee1joee1 Member Posts: 16
    They must get them from some exploited 3rd world manufacturing market.

I have a Ford product and the ignition switch always locks up.

The only way that I can deal with it is to make certain that my wheels and the steering wheel are perfectly straight when I park.

Ford - has a better idea. Junky cars, dangerous cars (thank god for Firestone) who can take their blame.
  • patkeithpatkeith Member Posts: 6
    The dealer has finally said that they'll switch out the igntion without waiting for it to go to go out again (as it is now, the key will only go in one way even though it's a two-sided key). Interesting note about your ignition locking up when your wheels aren't straight when you park. The times I had trouble with the ignition were on the (very slight) incline of my driveway, and my wheels turned to the right. I'll be sure to keep my wheels straight from now on until the ignition is switched...

Fuel economy STILL sucks. Ford says I should be getting 22/32. The dealer and I both calculate my care at 17/22. And they say there's nothing they can do about it.

Also say there's nothing they can do about my brakes, that it's the metallic pads wearing out the rotors...
  • 5fords5fords Member Posts: 1
    TO PatKeith, it sure sounds mighty coincidental that your brakes are wearing quickly AND you get worse than average fuel economy. Could they be related? Have they checked the parking brake for proper adjustment?
  • caciccacic Member Posts: 3
    After having the ignition and steering column replaced under the warranty due to the ignition problems, I contacted Ford. Ford did offer an extended warranty on the Focus, which I did not have previously. While I appreciated the offer (and accepted), I have decided to trade this car in for a Subaru, which I should have bought in the first place. The more I drive this car the more I worry about safety. The brakes have always squealed, the radio is horrible and now it sounds as though the fan under the hood is acting up. Every day there is something new to worry about and that doesn't include the recalls. Cute car, but lots of problems.
  • edmundsmanedmundsman Member Posts: 1
    HELP! Our baby is 5 months old and 15 pounds. We just bought a 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon. We like it but never thought to measure our car seat for fit as it fit in all our other cars. Our existing Century car seat has a 13.5 inch width base. The middle seat space in the new Focus wagon where we'd put the rear facing infant seat has 11-11.5 inches between the fixed buckles of the side passengers - his 2 sisters. We can't fit the car seat and buckle up his 2 sisters at the same time. We need to buy a new rear facing infant/front facing toddler carseat immediately. Trying to download carseat dimensions (without luck thus far) over a 28K modem Internet connection is awful. So, I thought I'd solicit feedback from other Ford Focus Wagon owners on the car seat they use. (Ford Motor couldn't help me). We'd appreciate your info very much!!!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Will the car seat fit on the side? That way the sisters could have the middle and the other side. I know the middle is the safest seat, but all the seats are occupied in your case, and in reality the baby has the additional protection of a car seat (in case of a side impact) and the sisters do not - so I don't see a problem safety wise with putting the car seat by the door if it fits there.
  • damianipdamianip Member Posts: 3
    After much deliberation, I decided to go and buy a Ford Focus Wagon. This was in August 2001.

Since I wanted a five speed, I had to order one. I placed an order on August 6. I was told I should have the car within 6- 8 weeks. At the end of September I was told by the dealer that my car would be manufactured the week of October 1.

On October 7th I called to ask about my car. I was told that moving cars was difficult due to the September 11 attacks and to call in a couple of weeks.

I called Ford directly and they told me that my car was scheduled for MANUFACTURE on November 5th.

I just called Ford today and was told that my car was completed and would be delivered to the dealer between December 6th and 13th. That's over FIVE months to get a car from Michigan.

Even if this car performs as advertised and has none of the quality problems of the past three years, I will never buy a Ford product again.

No wonder these guys are in trouble. in the future, it'll be back to VWs and Audis.

PD
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    5 months is too long to wait for your car. But you can't say VW and Audi are any better. VW does not allow dealers to order cars to customer requirements. VWoA makes dealers wait for a car to be built and only if one happens to be built the way you want it will you ever get your "order" from VW. At least with Ford you can actually order a car to your specifications from the available options.
  • damianipdamianip Member Posts: 3
    I agree with you regarding VW, however, the fact is that they will build a car to my liking, have one somewhere and always have.

With Ford, when I requested a manual transmission, they looked at me like I had two heads. They subsequently offered cars to me that had autos. They did this three times. If they are going to offer a manual, then they should build some with a manual. If someone orders one, they should not be made to wait this long.

BTW, I previously wrote "over five months". To be fair to Ford, I had meant to write "almost five months".

PD
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    What options did you order and what color will the car be? For a 2002 SE Wagon w/410A with ABS, Side Airbags, Moonroof, and 5 speed I was quoted $16,350. I am waiting to see what next year brings and have not quite decided for sure on the Focus.
    Post again after you get the car and share your experience please.