Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• erucehteruceht Posts: 26
    The dealer installed the new roof rack bars on are limited Monday and we took it on a 100 mile trip over the Interstate yesterday. This seems to have fixed the problem. I asked them if they knew about the 2100 noise/vibration and they said they didn't know anything about it but would test drive it, but of coarse they couldn't find anything wrong. However its really not a problem since I never drive at this speed or RPM.
  • esklutesklut Posts: 3
    Dealers just don't know squat. Any ideas why Chrysler has delayed this engine? Release date was March, now it's postponed.

Anyone anywhere know anything? Pathetic excuse of a car company - and I own a T&C now! Want the 3.5 right away.

One other thought - why in the world did they crap up the seats with that ultrasuede? You can't even get all leather seats now.

Really sad. Great van otherwise.

HELP!
  • dave210dave210 Posts: 238
    You know I've been wondering about the dumb suede, too! I was fine with my all leather in my old LXi and now I have this suede leather combo. I think Chrysler just doesn't know what to add to the Limited to make it different from the LXi other than the extra chrome and memory setting (which were selling points for me) for the seats, mirrors, and radio which were on my old LXi. But the suede is not called for. I have suede shoes and I've seen how bad they've gotten when dirty and used so why would I want to sit on it? I guess I'm bitter because during the 2000 Auto Show the preproduction 2001 Limited was ALL leather. Oh well, maybe in 2 1/2 years they will have changed that.
  • I was looking forward to the 3.5 engine with more horses until I finally read this.
    http://chicago.tribune.com/marketplaces/cars/printedition/article/0,2669,SAV-0103080002,FF.html

Maybe I will wait until the 2002 models come out in fall to see if they are waiting for the next model year.

What idiots for planting that seed and then pulling it. It makes me wonder what the 2002 will have that the 2001 does not now.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Maybe you'll have to build your own (or wait for the Porsche minivan):Where are the high performance minivans?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • I know what you are saying. I drive a Lexus ES300 and I have never attempted to see how fast I could go from 0-60 in it or take it over 100mph and my wife will drive the mini van as her car so performance in a mini van is a crazy discussion, but what turned me off is the fact that they did not deliver on what they said they would. I also would like to have the top of the line offered if it only means less than $100 a month over 4-5 years. I was more interested in the early articles that said the 3.5 would get better gas mileage than the extra horse power. They said it would be a more fuel efficient V6. I also considered that with earlier posts they may have worked out the 2100 RPM and wind noise on a new engine model. We will never know unless they make one for 2002. I have the time so I might as well wait and see. Also the Edmunds web page still lists "with a 3.5l engine that will make you the envy at every PTA meeting" under their WHATS NEW FOR 2001 when looking at the new car section for 2001 T&C so forgive those of us who were looking forward to it.
    Are you familiar with the terms "vaporware" or "FUD" (fear, uncertainty & doubt). Makes one wonder at times. I'll mention the engine "switch" to editorial; thanks for the heads up. Good luck.

Steve
    Host
  • glynnmglynnm Posts: 3
    Currently using 87 octane in my 3.8 liter engine in a 2001 T&C LXi. Owner's manual recommends this. Anyone experiencing any advantages, especially better gas mileage, by using 89 or 93 octane?
  • The higher the octane rating, the fewer calories contained in the fuel. If the engine is designed for 87 octane and does not knock, there is no advantage to using higher octane fuel. In fact, expect reduced mileage.
  • howie99mnhowie99mn Posts: 20
    I bought a new T&C LX and found out that the passenger front door does not align with the rest of the body. Does anyone have experience getting doors to align right. It's in about 2mm at the hinges. I think that it's all looks and I am worried that fixing will make the problem worse (hard to open or close doors).
  • I posted two messages the other day and they are now gone. What happen to them? I really wanted to hear what people had to say about the video system before I bought one.
    Blame it on Friday the 13th :-)
    Sylvia "Talk to the Hosts Part Three" Apr 12, 2001 8:25pm

Hopefully the missing posts will reappear, or perhaps you'd like to repost in the meantime.

Steve
    Host
  • I too have a problem with alignment on the doors. Mine is the passenager sliding door. The dealer says he has made the best adjustment that he can but there are no marks on the screws or bolts that align the door. Can the doors be aligned? I would like to know this before I go back to the dealer for the next round of getting this problem resolved.
  • jbrinda2jbrinda2 Posts: 12
    This is more of an oddity than a problem and easily rectified by the dealer, I'm sure, but has anyone noticed any water underneath the clear surface of their door trim strip on the LXi. Somehow water appears to have seeped into the space between the clear outer protective shield and the body of the silver trim strip of the driver's side of the car. There are four strips on the doors and the other three are fine. I'm guessing that perhaps there was a tear in the covering or something. I didn't even notice it until after I went to the car wash the other day. I'll have the dealer install a new trim strip. I was just curious as to whether anyone else encountered this.
  • jbrinda2: I have a 2001 T&C Limited AWD with the same water underneath the chrome side moulding problem. It's on my driver's door and the other panels are fine. Just picked up the van a few weeks ago and had the problem from day one. The service department at the dealer ordered me a new side moulding, but said it might take a while to get it in; since it's a new design for 2001. Side moulding are for protecting the body, so I guess any impact is going to cause this problem.

I also have a roof rack that howls like crazy. The van was built late January 2001. Does anyone know when the TSB for the roof rack was issued?
  • rolfe2rolfe2 Posts: 81
    thebone33 - the TSB was issued in Feb. I don't have it with me. Check for posts that reference it in the MY2001+ Chrysler... topic.

--rolfe.
  • shepherd5shepherd5 Posts: 35
    Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the navigation system for TC/DC? Where does it go?
    Dealers are asking $1800 for the Navi (list price) plus installation. I am debating on getting a Magellan 750M instead. Any thoughts?
  • cary28cary28 Posts: 53
    I just noticed a strange noise upon closing of the driver side power door on my T&C Ltd. It happens about 2 sec after the door is closed, at the rear of the door. It sounds like a piece of plastic is being compressed or twisted. I recall someone mentioned this in a number of previous posts. The noise was not present during the first 1K miles, but only developed during a 500 miles road trip over the Easter weekend.

I also have water seeping under the side molding for the passenger power door, so I may also need to take it to the dealer for an inspection.

Any clues for the cause of these problems? Thanks.

Cary
  • bmalikbbmalikb Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 T&C LTD (3K) The suede is doing fine so far. Keep in mind that this isn't suede like your coat or shoes. I think that is why they use "Preferred Suede". In fact, Preferred Suede is a registered trademark by Milliken & Company. I think it is a nice touch and adds a bit of class to an otherwise ordinary interior.

Yes...I have kids.
  • bmalikbbmalikb Posts: 6
    Does anyone have the rear seat video? How is the screen size for viewing? Does it obstruct the rear view mirror at all? Is there a power plug for the video games that there are A/V ports for?
    What did you do with your extra console and is the new console (w/VCR) have any functionality?

Sorry for all the questions. But it is a big investment....
  • todd1108todd1108 Posts: 4
    I had the rear video screen installed about a month ago. It blocks the rear view mirror some, but not completely. We went from NJ to NC with it and my 2 year old loved it. If you have kids,it really makes the long trips go fast. I didn't go through the dealer. I bought it from the guy who installs it for the dealer and saved about $500. There is a power plug in the console and we moved the one from the front to the back where we keep the remote and head phones.
  • erucehteruceht Posts: 26
    Our Limited has developed a similar noise in the passenger door, took to the dealer and they lubed but I think its getting worse. Also have the water in the door strip.
  • mddamusmddamus Posts: 4
    Hello,

I'm in the market for a T&C LXi AWD.They seem to be in very short supply around here. Is this the case everywhere?
    The best prices I've been able to find around here are invoice minus the $1500 rebate (if I take delivery by April 30). That means about $32,000 for the less fancy AWD LXi (non leather), plus some options (e.g., tow package, side air bags, console, power liftgate, CD changer). Is anyone aware of anything any better? I did call Melton and they can order one with AWD, but it sounded like their price would only be $300 less than from a local dealer, that is invoice less $1500 rebate, less $300 (although I would be able to ditch some unwanted options). $300 would barely buy my air ticket to Oklahoma, plus I'd have two days of driving to get home, probably not worth it.
    Also, is anyone aware of what my happen with rebates after April 30? Better? Worse? Gone? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Marilyn
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    I have a 97 T&C with regular rear view mirror (not auto dimming) and for some reason, it fell off the windshield. Came back from lunch (hot day) and it's on the floor somewhere. What's left looks like a hardened white glue they used. Do you guys know what glue to use to reattach the rear view mirror?

TIA
    Glenn
  • bholiobholio Posts: 21
    Any auto parts store will have special rearview mirror glue. Follow the instructions carefully.
    Thanks, bholio.
    I'll give it a try tonight.
    Oh, one other question, do you know whether I have to scraped the old glue out? It's looks like it's hardened plastic. Any tips on how to scrape it out?
  • Well, we singed for a loaded LXI FWD and will pick it up this week as they are installing the mopar video. We got the Steel Blue that we wanted with the blue leather. Invoice was 31,800. Mopar was $1550 installed - they originally wanted $1900- and they threw in the rear cargo organizer as it was already installed when they found it through a dealer search. They really negotiated to have us pay for the rear cargo organizer since we were already at invoice it was $250 plus if they install add $80.They said we were getting a deal since we would not have to pay for the install. They finally threw it in. We will pick the financing when we pick it up. Any suggestions for negotiating the financing? I assuming our choices will be $1500 off if we finance through our bank, $1000 off plus low apr, or the 0.9 with no rebate.
  • Dealer told me today that chrysler raised the $1500 cash back to $2000.
  • Hi!

I'm trying to decide whether to buy the MOPAR system or the Audiovox system. The MOPAR doesn't have a tuner so you can't watch TV but having up front is a requirement. I can get the Audiovox system VCP installed for $1400 but they can't mount the VCP in my current console. They want to install it in the back. The dealer will sell and install the MOPAR system for $1640. So... I'm wondering how often you watch TV in the car vs. videos and if anyone has any suggestions for getting the MOPAR system for less.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.