Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Concorde

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Those of you who have joined us from the recently
re-organized 98 Chrysler Concorde, 1999 Chrysler
Concorde LX and LXi
and 1997 Chrysler Concorde, any
comments or suggestions?
topics, please continue
your discussion here.

Welcome to you who have just joined us. You may
want to follow the above links for prior discussion
relating to this topic.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• aristotle2aristotle2 Member Posts: 1
    Any comments on how the Concorde LXI would fair as a female Realestate agents vehicle ?

Thanks.
  • hohohoho Member Posts: 64
    This makes surfing sooooo much easier...
    Great idea to put them in one place!

To the "R/A"...
    How can you miss with a car like that! And the best part is the tax break. Ahhh, the best of both worlds.
  • chandler4chandler4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your thoughts. I want to make certain that after several months that the car doesn't turn into one huge mushball when driven. The looks are great, I agree.
  • mugwump2mugwump2 Member Posts: 33
    My Wife is a Calif. Realestate agent and had a 95 LXi which worked quite well. We traded it on a 300M which works even better. Its the necessary size and has the appropriate fluff for the task. The LHS will work as well. My 2¢
  • cj1cj1 Member Posts: 1
    anyone else with concorde brake troubles?
    None yet... EWOO.... Eyes Wide Open
    (both of them)lmao :)
    Hey Mugwump2, You got money coming back. Most of my comments are only worth 1/2 a penny. I been keeping the left overs to get me 300M. I guess I gotta send them to you now. Darn and a new 300 would have been nice.

ROFLMAO, HOHO
    I am retiring this box o rox for a new model. I wish to thank all of you for your help and knowledge on Chrysler and its good and bad. This computer goes to a school near here and I might get me a faster one. Maybe I'll step up to a 16mhz 8meg ram and a h/d w/2meg and one with with sound too. UMMMMMMM!!!

Happy safe enjoyable motoring and tinkering. HOHO
  • sottosotto Member Posts: 1
    Right now Chrysler is offering a $1,000 rebate on a Concorde LXI. If I do my homework and know what the invoice is, how does that play in with making an offer? For instance invoice less rebate, invoice and be glad? Any suggestions?
  • charlesfcharlesf Member Posts: 28
    The rebate does not enter in to dealing with the salesman. Go for bow invoice price and then the rebate comes from Chrysler. It is no different then buying toothpaste and sending in for the rebate.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Sense you are getting rid of you 755i, have you tried the Chrysler 300M with the PHP? It should drive more like your BMW did. Only two drawbacks #1 smaller trunk, and #2. looks are not quite as great as the Concorde.
    I have to differ with you. When you concede to lose you will. Don't give up the deal. The most powerful tools a consumer has is knowledge and research. Use your time to research all aspects to your benefit. Even if you have a notion that things can not be a certain way, be open to the concept that it can be different. Who would have believed that warranties are also a way that dealers get money from you. They do. Even if they show you in a book they print out what a warranty will cost, remmember who printed the book. Check out other sites or related links here on the net or even in a library. Go to a place where others communicate and just listen to them. Ask some questions and let them tell you some stuff you may or may not know.

One way you may decide not to use a "rebate" is when it is part of a rebate or lower interest on your loan ploy to get you to buy.

Meaning if they offer you a $1000 (any amount) rebate or lower fianancing rates (we'll say .09%). You need to know how long will the lower rate apply. Some are only for a certain time such as 3 years and then the rates jumps to the current level. I decided to use the manufacture's rebate (not a dealer rebate) on the car and financed the car through my credit union. They wanted 9.5 % and my credit union wanted 7%. I saved 2.5% of the bottom line for the duration of the loan. It adds up. I also paid for my warranty after I bought the car. In doing this the Warranty amount was never considered in the cost of the car or the loan. A couple of thousand dollars can might a big deal on the bottom line cost of the vehicle.

Typically a car valued at $25,000 and with only 10% of that put down as a down payment leaves you with $22,500 in payments, plus any other charges such as interest on loans, warranties and anything else that may be figured in on the deal.
    A $22,500 payment could easily total out to almost $27000 or more!

You need to research if you can get the interest lower somewhere else for the duration of the loan. If so then commpute the amount you will save going that route. And have the rebate applied to the loan by getting the car that much cheaper.

But understand this, if you forgo the rebate to the value of the car you give up that money and in most cases they will do some number crunching to capture that amount for thier benefit. Please don't assume that you can not get a better deal if you really don't do all your homework. It will take some time from you but you will be rewarded with the knowledge you gain.

Most dealers respect the consumer who does his/her homework. They may not act like it when you get into the "room" to deal. But close the deal and then ask them. You will be surprised. They might even ask you not to tell anyone else what you did and that it was good to deal with someone who was a challenge and prepared to do the right deal (this has happened to me). I guess as you can tell I kept my word to them.
    My only thought is that we might face the "opec" of dealership and manufactures in future years. Oh well I'll deal with that when it comes.

No offense was infered to anyone. But give it a shot ... what do you have to lose and what do you have to gain? When the dealership tells you something remmember who is going to get waht maoney from who. And what would you do in his place if you were working there for pay?

my new box o rocks is nicer.
    Whwt I was saying is do not let the dealer play games with the rebate. The rebate should not even enter enter into the conversation with the dealer.
    If you want to lose a chance to save some more money that is up to you. You just gotta work it in at the right time. And then it works. (like when you get up and decide to go home for the 3rd or 4th time and counter with the rebate.....)
  • xcdatxcdat Member Posts: 2
    Well, I just found a new problem on my '98 lxi. Near the windshield (that area where there is not vinyl covering) it looks like I have 3 or 4 spots that are beginning to peel. I have used a protectant, (Kiwi's vinyl protectant spray) that could be my problem I guess, not really sure. I would blame these hot Texas days, but I use a sun shield 99% of the time. I have tired of all these trips to the dealer, so I'm looking to trade this beast off, hopefully I will not have to try to get the dealer to fix this. I would be curious to know if anyone else has experienced this problem.
    Soooooooooo long it has been nice to know ya!
  • bengvallbengvall Member Posts: 3
    I have just discovered this forum and have been trying to make my way through all the postings! I too have had the window motor problems, the mud flap drag, and have had to have the driver's door panel replaced because of cracking near the window switches. I really love the car..have 22,000 miles on it (bought it June 98).

However it has developed a terrible smell after it has been sitting for a while (several hours) and I turnon the air conditioning? Any hints?

Also, I see that there are references to tsb's...are these available on the web?

Oh, btw, I am one of the lucky ones who got the gold emblem on my wheels when I bought it!

Thanks!
  • bengvallbengvall Member Posts: 3
    I have just discovered this forum and have been trying to make my way through all the postings! I too have had the window motor problems, the mud flap drag, and have had to have the driver's door panel replaced because of cracking near the window switches. I really love the car..have 22,000 miles on it (bought it June 98).

However it has developed a terrible smell after it has been sitting for a while (several hours) and I turnon the air conditioning? Any hints?

Also, I see that there are references to tsb's...are these available on the web?

Oh, btw, I am one of the lucky ones who got the gold emblem on my wheels when I bought it!

Thanks!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    bengvall-

Forgot to tell you- if you click on the number of your message, you can eliminate the double posting by "deleting"/scribbling one of the two messages.

Hope this helps.

fastdriver
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i also have complained to nhtsa about their inaccurate data...government at its best i guess??
  • 401k401k Member Posts: 16
    Usually the smell comes from mold & mildew developing in the moisture of the cooling system. There doesn't seem to be any particular model of car that is totally immune to the problem.

What has worked for me in the past is the following procedure:

Turn the A/C thermostat down as low as it can go. Put the fan on FULL, and the air source on RECIRCULATE. Spray Lysol into the air intakes at the rear of the hood. Use a good amount of Lysol, and let the A/C run for at least five minutes.

The car will smell like Lysol for a day or two, but the mold & mildew (along with the smell) should be gone. Extremely bad cases may require a second treatment.

Hope this helps.

Tom
    i think there is a tsb out that addresses this smelly issue.
  • chandler4chandler4 Member Posts: 2
    A word of warning to anyone contemplating buying a new Chrysler from Koons Chrysler of No. VA. DON'T. My experience is that the folks there do not deal in good faith. I was ready to write a check for a Concorde LXi and Koon's last quote was a grand MORE than it was a week ago. Go figure. Anyone have any suggestions of an honest(ha ha) dealer in No. VA?
  • petersonspetersons Member Posts: 1
    Burning oil smell began shortly after delivery, after six visits to dealer and 15,000 oderous miles the dealer finally replaced the transmission. It was obvious that transmission fluid was leaking onto the catalytic converter from the beginning but they played with everything including the AC. After it was finally fixed the district manager for northern new jersey[Hugh something] would not even extend the drivetrain warranty to cover the lost time. 99 Concorde Lxi
    why would you have to replace the transmission if it only had a leaky gasket??
    Fastdriver and 401K, you guys hit it right on the head with that one. Using Lysol or even vinegar, water and any liquid fragrance to disspell the smell of the vinegar will remove the mold and mildew smell from the A/C.

I have used liquid (4tsp) Lysol in a quart spray bottle. Sprayed into the intake vents while the A/C is running on low, while making sure it goes through all the vent ducts. After that I mix some liquid air freshener (2tsp, from any auto or drug store) in the the spray bottle after I rinsed it out.
  • sam775sam775 Member Posts: 22
    chandler4 - yea, they tried to rip me and the mrs off as well. Check my post in the Smart Shopper conf. under the title "Post you sleazy dealers here" I went to Cowles Nissan/Chrylser/Plymouth in Woodbridge, VA. If you're willing to drive about 25 miles south of DC my salesman was Mr. Kosko (can't remember his first name). Very pleasant experience. I can't comment on the service yet as I've only had one oil change and no problems with my Cirrus. Give them a try. I wind up paying 500 over invoice for my Cirrus. Not the best deal, but much better than I was offered elsewhere after endless negotiating. If you have any questions send me an e-mail. ssamuels@hotmail.com
    401k-

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of that. I'll try it ASAP.

emale-

I must have missed that one. I check NHTSA all the time so that when something seems strange with my car I know I'm NOT imagining it or nitpicking.

fastdriver
    that particular tsb is in either or all the 300m, concorde or intrepid sections. can't remember which for sure.
    emale-

I just checked the 300 area of NHTSA and it's not there. I'll check the other areas.

Thanks.

fastdriver
    Just wanted to mention that I picked up that particular technique for getting rid of the A/C system smell from the television show, "Motor Week" on PBS. It is a safe and effective technique. It isn't something that I just came up with on my own!

;-)

Tom
  • kurtdkurtd Member Posts: 12
    I am having trouble changing the oil in my Concorde Lxi. There is not enough room to remove the oil filter. What is the secret?
    Get one of those end cap thingies and use a ratchet.
    mugwump2
    Have you tried the end cap thingie. I have one and still can not get the leverage to turn it. It slips off the end.
    mugwump2
    Have you tried the end cap thingie. I have one and still can not get the leverage to turn it. It slips off the end.
    Emale, where do we get a complete breakdown of the TSB's? I have found TSB's as a listing with applicable numbers and main data topics but would like to find a place that will give us the whole data without charge.
    don't know...if you ever find out...let me know.
    Yes, BUT, I had the dealer do the first change. DC seems to put the filters on with an impact wrench at the factory. Done two myself without drama. Some form of end grabbing wrench IS needed.
    Will do for all to see
  • mimi919mimi919 Member Posts: 85
    Just an update on my 99 Concorde lxi...I have had this car a little under 3 months and have put 6,500 miles on it and have not had any major problems to date....I had a few minor problems which I had corrected such as the overhead garage door opener had no range to it and I had it replaced and the new one works real good.....my front passenger window does not work from the drivers control at times but the dealer was unable to fix that problem as it was working when I had it there.
    I have to say that I wasen't at all concerned about Chryslers reliability until after I purchased my Concorde and read some of the previous negative posts in here...I realize that some of the posts may be over exaggererated but also based on nightmare experiences so like i'm sure most other owners in here I took out the best extended warranty availiable.
    The way I look at it is whether or not we should have to purchase a warranty or not just the fact of knowing how many problems previous owners have had with their Chryslers we would only have ourself to blame if we found ourself in the same situation of needing expensive repairs and we never protected ourself with the extended warranty
    I truely hope my 99 Concorde turns out to be the best car that I have ever owned but if doesn't the cost of the warranty will be well worth it for the peace of mind knowing that for the next 100,000 miles that I will have no repair costs or being without a car if mine is in the shop needing repairs as the warranty provides a rental car at no cost to me.
    well thats my opionion and I hope all owners of new Chryslers have a great ownership experience
    Hi Mimi919, long time no see.

I gotta agree with that last post of yours. The only problem I have had so far is someone tagged my bumper and left me a small scratch. They must aim for new cars. Kinda like a magnet.

I gotta wonder if some of the minor problems that are reported here could be attributed to lack of understanding how the vehicle operates. I have read so much about the car from the service manual. Real glad I spent the extra bucks for the book. Kinda relaxing to sit back and glance through the book. Some really interesting items in there. Why everyone doesn't get one is kinda puzzeling. Maybe they would find themselves complaining less if they understood how it reallly worked. Kinda makes you think.

I, like you, opted for the best coverage to be on the safe side of things. I cant see spending the money for the different scan tools required to check out and reset the onboard computers. Thats is another reason for the extra coverage.

Later, Rick
  • tmsmith1tmsmith1 Member Posts: 3
    After looking for awhile, I finally bought a '99 deep slate lxi for $22,500. It has the Infinity stereo system. I'm not very knowlegable in this field of buying cars, so, you guys "in the know" that write these posts tell me. . .did I get a fair deal or did I get the royal rip-off?

Country girl
    You got a great deal! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours! What type of warranty did you opt for?
  • tmsmith1tmsmith1 Member Posts: 3
    He just explained the one that came with the car. Were there actually options? 3yr, 30,000 miles is what he said and 5yr bumper to bumper on something else. I better read the manual, right?
    There is a new Road Test Report here on the Edmunds site for the 1999 Concorde.

www.edmunds.com/edweb/dipietro/99Chrysler.Concorde.LXi.rt.html

Tom
    If you did not get an extended warranty at the time you bought the car you were either lucky and/or smart!!!!!

Here is the reason. If you pay for an extended warranty at the time you purchase the car and you decide to finance it, the cost goes into your total cost of the car. Meaning you are paying interest charges on the warranty.

There is and I most strongly suggest that you get it, an extended warranty coverage for your Concorde. I started with the "Add-Care" package and later decided to upgrade it to the "Max-Care" package. The difference between the two is way too much to list. Add-Care 800+ items or Max-Care 5000+ items. Go to your dealer (or any Chryler dealer and inquire about it. Pay cash or charge it. You will SAVE BUCKS in the end!! Even at Edmunds.com near the bottom of the page has a link for warranty coverage. I use that to get my dealer to come down on the warranty price. I showed him a print out of the warranty and what it covered and how much it cost. The Max Care plan from the dealers book was listed at $3,560 for a 7 yr 100k mile warranty. I paid $2,100. If something goes south later I know it will cost alot more than $2100 for all of the things that normally go wrong between now and 7 years and 100,000 miles. Heck, even my water pump and alternator and brake calipers are covered. The ABS module cost more than the warranty! Really get the warranty even if you have to take out a loan. You won't be sorry. My brother/law's A/C went out and it will cost him $1500 to fix it (no extended warranty and the van just went out of manufactures warranty).
    Nice site. Thanks
  • countrylawyercountrylawyer Member Posts: 11
    Just yesterday saw a 2000 Concorde on the lot at King Cotton Motors in Covington, Tennessee. They hadn't done the usual post-delivery check-outs on it yet, so I couldn't sit in it or drive it, but a brief through-the-window eye-ball revealed that Chrysler seems to have addressed my one aesthetic concern with the 1998-99 models, viz. the tacky-looking gauges. The first two years have dashes that don't look noticeably nicer than the wife's 1996 Stratus, and color me picayunish, but when I'm asked to plonk down $20-odd grand of the Right Stuff for a car, I'd like something I can tell apart from a middling vehicle. Besides, the car's exterior is so awesome that the discordant visual effect of the dash was heightened. The 2000 car still had white-on-black dials, in what looked like a pretty plain-vanilla typeface (the black-on-white dials of the LHS/300M, with the numbers that remind one of grandfather's gold fob watch, are MUCH classier), but were rimmed in silver. I couldn't tell any other cosmetic changes in the exterior or interior.
    Now if Chrysler would only mate the Concorde's front end to the LHS's interior . . . .
  • thepizzamanthepizzaman Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are thinking about a Concorde...do you all agree it is a good car?
    alot of folks here in edmunds town hall have had great experiences with their late model concordes...intrepids and 300ms. of course you'll see some dissenting voices here and there but you'll easily be able to pick up on the ones that truly don't tell ya much. i have had my 98 intrepid since december of 97 and it's been a great car. a couple of minor problems but that's it. in case your were wondering. the intrepid, concorde and 300m have many of the same parts and thus are very closely related.