Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High Performance Luxury Sedans

Comments

• kiwi8kiwi8 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when BMW will change the current 5-series body style?
  • cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    Kiwi8,

Based on most reliable estimates the chanle would at MY2004, which would reach us in 2003.
  • need4spdneed4spd Member Posts: 92
    Wow! Excessive oil consumption! Bad clutch! Bad trans! It's gotta be a lemon. The M5 is the top of the line for 5ers and I can't believe this is anywhere near normal. The M5 is still listed as my dream car, but I'm getting less and less enthused about it. Even a *perfect* one is very thirsty on gas, a non-trivial item at $2+/gal. So, now I'm thinking, E55 if I still want ultra performance, or maybe an E320 (28 mpg hwy!) with 4matic perhaps.... OTOH, I don't like the idea of giving up a stick shift (spoiled by my M3). Why not get the new M3 you ask? Nice, but $50k for a 3 series seems much, even if it's the fastest one ever, and you get so much more car in an E320 or E430 for about the same money, and while neither of these is a rocket, they're no slouches either. Anyone think I'm just getting old?
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Yes. You are getting old.
    Well, that figures. Your profile says your dream car is a 2001 M3! I think what's most likely is that I'll end up being unable to give up a stick, hate having a car that's just "ordinary," and also miss my M3's performance, so I'll get on the waiting list for the 2001 M3, and buy it (1) when I can get it for MSRP (bound to be a markup at least initially); or (2) the old one ('95) wears out (well, when it needs an engine overhaul anyway). I might have to wait a long time....
    I want a 2001 M3, but won't have one for a few years at the earliest. I'm probably going to have to settle for a 325i next summer. Poor me :)
  • pboy1pboy1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys,

I too received delivery of my M5 several weeks ago. I have put up 2500 miles of mostly commute driving, and have had to top up the oil level only once, but I have been told by the dealer to check the level every 500 miles. As long as I am only having to top it up once in a while then I am not concerned.
    I agree that the clutch is clunky in traffic, but it's getting cleaner (could be my 'no good' left foot).
    Definitely no regrets so far, but I do feel guilty about clocking up so many 'commute' miles.
  • esse22esse22 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if there will be any different colors on the 2001 M5

Thanks
    This is getting worse! Another M5 that is drinking crude! And the dealer is advising to check every 500 miles (that's like every other tank of gas). There aren't that many of them so this is quite alarming. I wonder what the problem is? The rings have to take a lot of pounding in this engine; maybe they're too hard and not seating? Bad valve seals? Something wrong with the cylinder walls? (Didn't 540i's have some problem like this not too long ago?) So maybe it's an E55 if not an M3?
  • pboy1pboy1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, need4spd, I don't think 1/2 of one quart of oil over the first 2500 miles on such a high performance engine, can be described as "drinking crude".

I've certainly not experienced anything like "jackmcdaniel" msg.#259.

I have a friend with an E55, great car, wish they made it with a 'stick' not just 'auto'. M3, not enough power with the current models, and the waiting list for the 2001 is way too long, plus production has been delayed twice already. If you want to jump the list and buy one 'used'(minimal miles) next year, be prepared to pay $10K over MSRP
    I suppose 1/2 qt. in 2,500 isn't all that bad, so long as it lessens after break-in. Someone told me the engine specs the other day for the new M3. More hp, but at 7900 rpm, and torque increase modest and peaks fairly high, too. So it remains to be seen how much quicker it is than the current car in normal driving (I'm sure if you revved it and dropped the clutch it would easily eat an E36 M3, but I'm not so sure the diff. would be that great if both had a 5mph rolling start). The E55 seems to have better low end torque than the M5 and specs out at better fuel consumption, too.
  • briansbrians Member Posts: 14
    Well, I guess this is as good a forum as any to critize Miles Cook and his review of the new BMW M5. First, I'll preface my comments by stating that if I were in the market for an enthusiast-oriented supreme luxury sport sedan, the M5 would be in my garage. It is certainly an impressive auto!

However, I hardly believe the statement "There isn't a four door car on earth that can touch it."
    Hmmm. I guess the E55 is sold on other planets. Also, references to embarrasing C5 Corvettes and laughing at Porsche 911's? I don't know about that. Last I checked, these cars could easily match the M5's performance, if not overmatch it, albeit by a very small margin. Speaking of margins, a few tenths of a second to sixty or down the quartermile hardly counts for anything in street-driven situations. I will commend BMW for offering this level of performance in a luxury-oriented sedan, but come on Edmunds!! Stating misinformation to your readers is hypocritical journalism.

That said, thankfully us enthusiasts are usually up-to-date on our information and know enough to check various sources for validity of information, not to mention over-enthusiasm of a particular car marque by some publications.

-Brian S.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's road test of the 2000 BMW M5 is now available. Here's the direct link: 2000 BMW M5, By Miles Cook. What do you think?

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • koeselkoesel Member Posts: 3
    Okay, the review was decent but the statement:

"An increased stroke is the shortest path to more torque and the M5 delivers in 500 cubic-inch, American big-block V8-type portions."

Is just wrong. The block size is actually around 290 (or so) cubic inches -- the size of an American _small-block_ V8, not big-block.
    "There isn't a four-door car on earth that can touch it."

What about the E55/S55?
  • moopzmoopz Member Posts: 2
    I think he hit the mark right on. I've had a 2000 M5 for the past 8 months, and I have smoked two E55s (e.g. by more than one car length) from stoplights and outrun a couple of 996 (non-turbo.. I would have no chance with the turbos) and C5s (once again, non Z06s) on the interstates. These are all people who were definitely trying, but it wasn't much of a competition.
    Koesel, the author was using a simile to COMPARE the engine power of the M5 with big blocks... e.g. the word "portions." It is obvious that it doesn't displace that much, since he said later "Massive amounts of big-block-style torque are available at any engine or vehicle speed, in any gear - remarkable for a motor barely displacing more than 300 cubic inches. It almost feels as if the faster you go, the harder the engine pushes you to license-endangering velocities."
    Brian S, if you look at other publications, they all ranked the M5 ahead of the E55.. Automobile, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend (they liked the M5 better than a freaking Aston Martin).
    Mmcbride1, I already stated that the E55s that have tried to keep up with this beast.. can't. The S55 is a beautiful car, but is so overgrown for a sports sedan that I would be surprised if it could come within a second of the M5's times.
    Additionally, I have driven an E55 as well and it doesn't come close to delivering on any level except for neck-snapping acceleration from a dead start. The exterior, interior, ergonomics are all behind.
    And the point about oil.. some owners use a lot, others don't. But, it all goes away after 7,000 miles no matter what. And the car gets sweeter and sweeter as time goes by. This is definitely the best sports sedan in the world, and everyone knows it (especially automobile journalists.. including Tiff Needell). It will be the same in the next generation as well (in about 5 years for the new E"XX", M5, and XJ"X" offerings)
    The CL55 (but that's a coupe, so I didn't include it), but it promises to be the fastest of the MB _55's, and probably as fast as, or faster than the M5 (but still no 5 spd.).
  • gilbomangilboman Member Posts: 2
    Obviously the reviews at Edmunds.com have been getting lower and lower in quality. They boast that the M5 has is the most powerful 4 door sedan, but they don't tell you that it is by far from the fastest 4 door sedan. More appropriate would've been it was the fastest 4 door sedan that they have driven. and they try to blame 13.75sec quater mile on greesey conditions. Even in best of conditions a low 13 sec quater mile is embrassing for a 400hp car. A 2000 Celica GT-S does 13.1 with intake and exhaust. The reviewer also thinks that the M5 is faster than the new porsches.. the boxter maybe.. but seriously doubt the M5 is in same class as 911 in pure performance specs.. or even in same class as a boxter S.
    I meant CLK55 (although there will be a CL55, and it will be a coupe, it won't be as fast as the CLK55).
  • briansbrians Member Posts: 14
    As I stated in my response #273, Edmunds makes some comments that are off-the-mark. I have seen several reviews of both the M5 and E55, and it's too close to call, however, I would choose the M5. "Not a 4dr sedan on earth that can touch it." Again, the E55 is well within touching distance.

Let's face facts, the review is overstated and over-glorifies a glorious automobile. Edmund's writers (the ones that had input into this article) do a little too much sensationalizing. If I owned a C5 or 996, I would not be intimitated by an M5, nor should I be. In fact, I'm sure very few M5 owners, as with all cars, can drive the car to beyond 80% of it's potential. All due respect given to those who can explore those limits.

-Brian
  • moopzmoopz Member Posts: 2
    This should end the speculation.. at least for production sedans.

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/AudiWorldPics/2000/Desert%20Race.mpg

another one with Tiff Needell where he says that "the competition from Jaguar and Mercedes has been washed aside," referring to the XJR and E55.

http://www.taner.net/movies/Top_Gear-M5_Test_Drive.mpg

And regarding the quarter mile times, the general rule is that horsepower adds to higher overall top speed, while torque usually gets you there faster. The E55 has almost 30 ft.lbs of more torque than the M5, yet it is still slower in the quarter mile and to 60 mph.
    Take a look at the MotorTrend article. The M5 took the top spot in the one-mile standing acceleration test, beating the second-place Aston Martin DB7 by .4 sec and flattening the E55 by 2 seconds. The Porsche 911 Carrera? Somewhere in the middle... I would definitely say the M5 is at least in the same class as the 911.
  • denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    by "the M5 delivers in 500 cubic-inch,
    American big-block V8-type portions" is that it ACTS like a big-block American V8 -- not that it has one.
  • koeselkoesel Member Posts: 3
    the statement is still vague at best.

Furthermore, it's borderline untrue. It may hold for yesteryear, but not of today's Big-Blocks (which are scarce in production cars -- the 550hp, 428 cu. in. one in the Saleen S7 being the only one I know of). The GM LS6, an American _small block_ would be a better comparison, at least torque wise (which is what he was refering to, there).
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    Let's just say I'd take a looong time driving each of those to really find out which one is the "best", whatever that means. "Best" for what or for who? It always winds up being a question that can't be answered generically. For what it's worth, I faced exactly this choice about 2 months ago, when I decided it was time to get rid of my '96 XJS convertible and get something more practical. You have to know I have a sports motorcycle for thrills on the side, and no car can really perform up to that level anyway, thus a small sportscar or a convertible is overkill anyway. So I knew a super-sedan was what I'd go for.

These 3 cars are all awesome, let's say that right away. But as you can imagine from my personality profile, I value comfort in a car, and while the XJR isn't the most spacious or practical of the 3 cars it certainly is the cuddliest and has a superb interior, woods and leather, that the other two teutonic cars simply can not quite match. Also, if we had to think absolute dream cars, mine would be a Rolls or Bentley, and not a Ferrari. So that ultimate sharp-handling is lost on me because it does come at the expense of comfort: both the M5 and especially the E55 have quite bone-jarring rides, in my opinion, and I am not sure I want to dish out $70k for a car that establishes my intimate aquaintance with every pothole on my daily commute.

And I must say what made me turn away from the M5 and E55 was the fact that I am not sure I agree with a model policy that stretches the same middle-class sedan platform that can be had in the high $30k's into the $70k luxury realm. I prefer Jaguar policy of simply powering up a native luxury platform. Jaguar could and probably will come out with an S-Type supercharged model, but it would be equally wasted on me. There are, I think, technical and image limitations to doing that, and I think the interiors as well as the somewhat undistinguishable overall design of the E55 or M5 attest to that. Call me a snob, but if I pay $70k for a car, I resent the car vendor making the same basic platform available for $38k or so to address another market segment.
    The XJR definitely is the baby Bentley of these 3 cars, while the M5 and E55 are the one that want to provide the true sporting thrill. Different philosophies.
    Engine-wise, whoever tells me they can tell a difference must be joking. All these three have more power and torque than you'll ever truly use anywhere on the road. Sure it's fun to get off a stoplight, but you learn quickly it is very silly and also somewhat stupid. I am very aware I could probably be just as happy with the base XJ8 model, so really, before going for any of these: look deep into yourself and see whether you really wouldn't be just as happy with 290-300hp - the base models are no slouches, and they're actually softer and probably, with the exception of the XJR, more comfortable.
    Little gripes with the Jag? I actually like the fact it is smaller inside, it gives it a 4-seat classic grand tourer feel on the inside, rather than a sedan's, and makes it even cozier - you want to be close to all that leather and wood anyway. People touch stuff all the time. What I do not quite like is the fact the seat seems somewhat short leg-wise for someone 6'1, like me (mind you, it is still a very sumptuously comfortable car), and especially something that all of these cars are guilty off: get those damn controls off the steering wheel. Heavens, how many bottons do we want close to our hands? I know you have to reach farther if the controls are on the console, but all I do not like all these little buttons here and there that are crowded around the steering wheel. I do not buy the ergonomic benefit. I prefer good old buttons on the console for the light, the stereo and such. Call me old fashioned. But it seems you always do something wrong when it comes to seldom operated functions on this car. Particulalry since the lights go on by themselves, as do the wipers... what on earth are all these levers really good for, then? Some folks might dislike the whine of the supercharger, some will love its turbine like sound and feel, but do not expect a deep bass V8 growl in tha car. The sound that comes out of the exhaust pipes is more classic, though - only you don't hear it from the inside, the XJR is way insulated.

But again, in the end, it all comes down to philosphies, and to judge by the E55 and M5 waiting lists those can't even remotely be thought of as bad cars. I could be happy with either of the 3, but for my particular car philosphy I have no doubt the XJR was by far the best choice.

Hope this helps some, and really, it is all just my personal opinion, at no point do I remotely hint that E55 or M5 owners/lovers backed the wrong car. They are phenomenal machines, and I wish I could trade with you for a few days here and there. :-) It's just about the personal choice and motivations that made me go a certain way. It was a hard choice. And ultimately, even when it does not hurt you financially, you ask yourself whether it really is worth it spending $70k on a new car. Maybe I am just weird in that. That is another subject. :-)
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    For those interested, here's Edmund's Spin Around Town with the 2000 Jaguar Vanden Plas Supercharged, by Neil Dunlop. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • qzbackqzback Member Posts: 7
    Edmund's review was again overblown, typical of about all their BMW reviews. The M5 is a great car, yes, but I'd put my money on a 911 to win a race with it. The M5 is a great sedan, but not a sports car.
    WEll, certainly he focussed on the essentials. I can't believe relaibility still has to be discussed with new Jaguars - the two Jags I have owned in the last 5 years (and XJS convertible and now the XJR) have never had unscheduled service needs. Bombproof, which is more than I can say for the Infiniti and BMW I owned before.

The VDP's interior indeed is incredible. A business acquaintance has it, and while my XJR is quite spectacular interior wise, the VDP takes the cake - the leather is even more sumptuous and soft. The carpets feel like you're resting your feet on live sheep. Then again, I would not trade my XJR for a VDP. The extra leg room sure makes the rear accommodations great, but I want a driver's car, not one to chaffeur others with. The XJR is more cozy, but has a great 4-door grand tourer ambience, more ike a sports-tourer. The VDP's and XJ8L's longer wheelbase makes the lines somewhat less subtle to my eye. It looks like a bit of an afterthought.

The engine of course is sweet, but I am not sure big V8 afficcionados will be sold on the sound from the inside: from inside, you hear the high-pitched whine of the turbocharger. The turbine like feel is amazing, though. From the outside, the pipes have the low V8 growl, though. When a guy drove my car away in the valet, and I heard it for the first time, I thought "whoa, that sounds really different from the outside, cool".

And the VDP SC in all fairness competes more with the likes of the Benz S class and the Beemer 7 class and the Audi A8. And surely has the beat when it comes to interior. I don't know why German manufacturer's interiors always have to come across so cold, to a certain degree. They are awesme cars, but the interior looks somewhat cheap considering what Jags offer for the same price. Not that price is such a big factor with these cars.
  • denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    "the statement is still vague at best. Furthermore, it's borderline untrue. It may hold
    for yesteryear, but not of today's Big-Blocks
    (which are scarce in production cars -- the 550hp,
    428 cu. in. one in the Saleen S7 being the only one I know of)."

Geez, lighten up -- they were just making a point about how gutsy the car felt. And pablo_1's point about "to each his own" is right on.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    Living now with a 2001 S500, after seriously considering the E55 and Jag, I value your points.

Comfort and style are very important indeed.

I gave up plenty of speed and excitment for the style and comfort that is the S500. The Jag did not do it for me in the styling front.

I enjoyed your post tremendously.
    The S500 is a phenomenal car. It was way up on my list of cars to look into. Alas, the Mercedes dealership I went to turned me off with their arrogant manner. They let me push my nose against the side window of the car instead of opening the door for me. And the waiting list for the other Benz dealer I went to was just too much - I am an immediate gratification kinda guy... :-)

Our CEO got himself the S500, too, and is in total infatuation with the car. And his other car is a Ferrari...

...pablo
  • cheapownercheapowner Member Posts: 47
    What does Miles Cook mean by:
    "..Additionally, oil is cooled by a coolant-oil heat exchanger, the first-ever application of this on a gasoline engine.."?
    I have seen small engines such as Toyota 2.2L and larger engines such as Ford 6.8L/5.4L with oil to coolant heat exchanger. They may not as big as the one on Duramax 6.6L turbodiesel, but they sure do provide enought cooling for a 10000+ lb GCR vehicle. By the way, how big is the heat exchanger on M5 anyway?
  • wizski2wizski2 Member Posts: 1
    I have just gotten word that my E55 has arrived at the port and will in for delivery next week. I am having second thoughts on this car. I have heard that the waiting list and time, not to mention pricing is exorbitant. I have never driven this car, but used to have a CLK430. How do they compare to one another. I'm not quite sure that this is the car for me on a day to day basis. Maybe an S430, with sport package would better suit my needs. Can anybody advise on this. I hate to take delivery of such a great car and find it's not right for me.
    Will they let you test drive it before taking delivery? I would think so. If you don't like it, you're still buying an MB, so they shouldn't care.
  • jesseliujesseliu Member Posts: 41
    Actually wizki, I used to have 2 CLK430's before I traded up for a E55. I haven't regretted the extra money a bit. This car is perfect for me. THe handling is very good, performance is much better than the CLK430 and its much more rare. I drive this car on a daily basis. GO take a test drive but don't thrash it since I"m sure you will want it!
  • pinolee55gizmopinolee55gizmo Member Posts: 1
    Both the E55 and M5 are great cars. I have a 2001 E55 and have a 2001 M5 arriving in Dec. The main difference is with the transmissions, choose an automatic E55 or a six-speed M5 dependent upon your commute or purpose for the car. Or buy the one ypu can get at MSRP.
    Unless you need or want to have the size over the performance, I'd choose the E55 over an S430 in a heartbeat. I'm sure the E55 will be fine for a daily driver; after all, it's got an automatic, so no clutching in rush hour traffic. Unlike, say, a Ferrari, the performance comes with no quirkiness. It drives like any other Benz, only better, and faster. The main advantage of the S class is size (and more standard equipment and goodies). For the same size, the other choice might be an E430, but the only reason to choose an E430 is price, and the availability of 4matic in the E430 that's not available in the E55. As for the going price of E55s, I haven't actually tried to buy one, but most dealers are asking well over ($10k) MSRP to start. They are limited in quantity, so it might be tough to bargain.
    I faced a similar decision upon deciding between the "normal" Jag XJ8 and the XJR. It is not quite the same, since the S430 really represents a whole leap ahead in comfort, cuddly luxury and size. The E55, of course, defines performance, and does so in a somewhat irrational way, since whoever thinks they are even remotely exploiting the full performance envelope of the car on a day to day basis are kidding themselves.

I decided on the XJR for a number of reasons, and am fully aware that most of them are irrational, and that I could probably be just as happy with the normal XJ8, since cars with over 280HP can hardly be labeled performance laggards. And considering US speed limits, I am aware the XJR's 370HP represent a total overkill. But it's fun, and in the case of the XJR I preferred the less chromy and slightly more edgy styling.

The S class would be my preference over the E55 due to comfort. The E55 is a magnificent performance car, but day to day, particulalry on California roads, I'd find it much too harsh. Out of the XJR, M5 and such, the E55 surely has the roughest ride. Superb sporting capabilties, yes, but I want luxury cars to be somewhat soft. It is just a personal preference, though, and if I had a very windy mountain road on my way to work I am sure I'd go for the trade-off.

Ultimately, you got to analyze your passion level, and see which car suits you better day by day. While luxury cars always represent a certain amount of irrationality, I do think the E55 is higher up the passion scale and represents the more irrational choice. Which naturally also means that is that's the way your heart goes, you will be much happier with it.

Good luck with your decision. I know I did not regret getting the XJR, even though I had to laugh at my true inner motivations.
  • solomon93solomon93 Member Posts: 1
    ...But I'm glad to see someone who actually likes the XJR! For a short while there, I was afraid my dream car wasn't much of a dream after all. But I'd like to thank you Pablo_1 for giving some positive feedback. I've not yet test driven one, but I road in one, and I had the biggest grin on my face from the time we launched out of the driveway, flew through a corner like a roller coaster (not squealing at all!), and effortlessly parked the 'sedan' into a parking space I'd never attempt with the Cadillac I drive now.
    One concern I do have is leg/head room. I'm around 6' 1" (as are you, if I recall), and wonder if you are occasionally bothered by any lack of leg or head room. I myself like to be comfortable in my car, and would like any passengers to be fairly comfortable too. I've recently been wondering about the upcoming 400 hp S-Type. I like the looks of the XJR much better, but may be willing to sacrifice that for more room. Would you suggest this choice?
    Of course, by the time I can actually get my hands on a Jag, the new body style will probably make it's premere, so I really shouldn't be concerned with such things. :)
    I wrote a mini-review on my humble impressions about the XJR. I am 6'1 myself, and personally I describe the interior of the XJR as cuddly. The wood and leather is so lucious that people want to be close to it anyway. No doubt about it, other cars offer more efficient space utilization, so again, if that is a big rational configuration of yours, I think a more modern base design might be better for you. I personally think the XJR very comfortable, and have headroom and legroom. One of the reasons I went for the XJR instead of the XJ8 is because the "sports seats" of the XJR offer more leg support, the XJ8's seemed a bit short for me. The rear accomodations of the XJR are also very comfortable and, uh, cuddly. Certainly not the most spacious rear seat, it is more of a 2+2 GT cabin feel, but that with superb style. Kind of a baby-Bentley feel.
    The problem I have with a more powerful S-Type is the same problem I have with the M5 or even the E55 - I somewhat resent a $40k platform being stretched into the near-$70k realm. I personally prefer a native luxury platform. I am aware the engineering those cars have is awesome, but at that price I personally also want more unique style, and those platforms are slightly more pedestrain than the XJ. Even if they are probably more practical. It comes back to the passion element - I have no doubt the XJR is a car that is as if it was designed for me: it has some quirks, but I think it more than offsets them with some other aspects. And I am totally aware other people don't necessarily feel that way, and would think the XJR a somewhat dated and quirky base platform.
    Power? All these cars have more than one can rationally use. To be honest, I have chilled a lot and hardly ever use even 50% of the car's performance envelope, I do not want to be losing my license, and this car makes it incredibly easy to get into trouble.
    I wrote this short blurb on the XJR somewhere else:

Pros:
    Tradition, class, performance, and an interior that has people gasping. A blue-collar Bentley, so to say. :-) It is quite an amazing car. The 2001 version is superbly finished, and it does provide thrills when your inner adolescent gets the better of you off a stoplight. All performance aspect aside - it's the cuddled, warm interior. No German car has that warmth and oppulence inside. That wood and leather and design... makes you just indulge. Amazing stereo, too. The ride is also much softer than you'd expect for a car with very sporty tires and a suspension tasked with taming 370hp... Mileage is also better than you'd expect from such a performance package.

Cons:
    It is more of a 4-door sportscar than a 4-seat sedan. The interior can be called cozy or somewhat crammed - since I had a coupe before, I like the feel very much, but hey, at 6'1 I know the S class provides better rear seat accomodations. The ergonomics - there are too many buttons just off the steering wheel. Close and convenient, maybe, but it's busy, and you invariably hit what you shouldn't. Some might object to the supercharged whine that takes away from the 8-cyl growl, though I personally like the turbine like nature and sound.

Overall Review:
    A car that has soul, tradition, and attitude. Quite the gentleman's hotrod, it is your accomplice inviting you to go for childish stunts, but the two of you arrive everywhere looking all class and style, and when you close that door with a heavy thunk you take a brief time to wink at each other as your straighten out your cashmere blazer. A muscular, yet relaxed and playful and elegant kitten. The interior is what really gets me - it is classy oppulence, superbly finished. Other cars might be roomier and have better ergonomics, but I doubt they'll make you feel as welcome. The ride is remarkably comfortable for such a performance car, too, and the utterly effortless way it zigs and zags is so much fun. Truly a great car.
    I have to agree that the ride of the E55 is not as resilient as the M5's. It seems that when AMG goes to make hot rods, they do just that, taking a page out of the American hot rodder's handbook and just adding roll stiffness and big tires. The M5, it seems, has a much more refined ride, with similar handling power. I think the suspension hardware (arms, etc.) is the same, but BMW M has a way with suspension bushings, spring and shock rates that provide handling with less compromise in ride quality. Now if it only had the back seat and trunk space of an E series, it'd be perfect!
  • jesseliujesseliu Member Posts: 41
    Wow, my opinion of the E55 is very different. Because the AMG suspension is actually very comfortable for me on california roads. The shocks are not just heavy duty bilsteins. My mother has a E320 and in all honesty, I felt that my E55 was more comfortable than her's by far.
    Regarding the XK8, I also took a look at that car but for me, one of my major complaints were the whine from the supercharger. In fact I test drove 2 in a row because the first one had a VERY loud whine from the supercharger. These were both brand new cars. My second complaint is that the XK8 just doesn't offer the same amount of room as my E55. The third complaint is the seats are too short. This makes for a very unpleasant long drive. Lastly, after driving my E55, the XK8 just didn't seem to have the same type of punch.
    But I don't want to sounds like a basher of the XK8. Like one of the previous posts said, the interior is very sumptious. The leather and wood is beautiful in this car. If I wanted something that was pure luxury, I'd have gotten a Jag.
    But, I wanted both which meant the E55. If I wanted more performance, I would have gotten the BMW.
    It sure is a beautiful car, but it is a coupe, and is not supercharged, but produces only a measly and wimpy 290HP. :-)

I assume you mean the XJR, 4-doors and supercharged?

In any case, all our posts show that there'sno right or wrong and better or worse - they are all phenomenal cars that appeal to different people very differently. I sure as hell would not be miserable for the rest of my life if fate replaced the XJR in my garage with an M5 or E55 - I think I'd come to terms of acceptance somehow. :-)

I do think, though, that out of the XJR, M5 and E55 that is also the order of the stiffness of the ride. Mind you, it also means that is the reverse order of true cornering capability, provided anyone really corners such cars near their limits. Thus, it's up to the passionate individual to decide which design trait appeals more to his/her very own preferences.
    There is an XKR and even an XKR convertible. Same supercharged engine in a different body.
    That is so, but the original message talked about test-driving an XK8, nor the XKR.
    I just wasn't sure if you knew it was available, that's all.
    when you're in the Jag dealership, that XKR. :-) I owned a '95 XJS convertible before the XJR, and thus my natural instinct was for the coupe (I learned the convertible is somewhat overkill when you own a motorcycle on the side :-)), but in the end decided the XJR was a far more practical choice. But the XK8 and XKR are *beautiful* cars.

...pablo
  • shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    I noticed that when I first had my E-55, I found the ride objectionably stiff. I also own a 540iT and I find the ride to be more compliant.

However, after about 2,000 miles the ride began to soften up a bit and now I prefer it. I suppose maybe I just got use to it.

By the way, anyone ever see a Designo E-55? I just order one.
  • ambisonxambisonx Member Posts: 6
    Went into a Northern California dealership to test drive an E430 and sitting there, to my surprise, was a 1999 silver E55 glistening with beads of water on it having just been washed. Truly in mint condition even with that new car smell despite 14k miles on it. The dealership wanted $72k. I was not prepared to shell out that kind of scratch but once inside, the only question was whether this was a fair price. After some research on the web, I got them to come down to 69k. Dunno if this is a deal or not, but having driven it around for the past few days, I must say that it is quite a sedan. Did not consider an M5 since I did not want a stick and a JAG is just not my style. Are there any websites devoted to E55 enthusiasts or sites for E55 accessories? The ride is definately firm but not objectionable. So you think I got a fair deal?
    By any chance, was it the silver one at Autobahn Motors in Redwood City off 101? I can't say whether you got a good deal or not, but when I casually asked about it, I was told they were asking $92k, not 72k, so go figure...OTOH, I think they list at about $72k.