Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    I meant to include this URL above.

http://tech.vw.com/audipdf/a010002.pdf

Once again, download it, then open it. It is likely to fail otherwise.
  • ferarri11ferarri11 Member Posts: 91
    for July, the A6 outsold the BMW 5 series, i guess this is the first time that's happened. from auto site. maybe this year the A6 will be as popular as the 5. of course it is much more popular than the GS series.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    It seems like many of us have been in your position, considering the A6, S80, and 3.2TL. I spent a lot of time looking at all 3 before finally ordering an A6 2.8Q earlier this year.

They're all really nice cars; I think most people can find a lot to like about each. For what it's worth, here's what I found:

Acura 3.2TL: HUGE bang for the buck. Honda reliability, excellent power train, unobtrusive but rather boring styling, excellent navigation system standard xenon headlights. On the downside, dull interior with cheap plastics and fake wood, incomplete instrumentation, poor color choices (they make a green car and a black interior, but they won't combine the two!), no fog lights, no telescoping wheel, no heated REAR seats. Conclusion: It's a nice car, but it's boring and doesn't have any "soul".

Volvo S80: Nice styling in that it dares to be different (from other Volvos, at least). Choice of two nice engines. Excellent sound systems, optional nav system ($2500), definite luxury feel. I really like the B pillar-mounted rear air vents and the outside mirror-mounted security lighting. Excellent color choices. Downsides: Transmissions only have 4 speeds, no manual shifting on 2.9, no xenon headlights, fake wood trim, no heated rear seats, incomplete instrumentation, HUGE torque steer on T6.

Audi A6: Love the styling or hate it, it looks like nothing else out there. Personally, I love it. The interior has no equal, period. Full instruments (including oil temp and voltmeter), GORGEOUS red & white interior lighting (again, in a class by itself), real wood (choice of 2 types), available 6-speed manual (2.7T), 5-speed Tiptronic standard in all versions, puddle lights, F+R fog lights, power lumbar supports, headlight washers. There are really too many "little things" that the other cars don't have to list. Then there's the available quattro, heated F+R seats, xenon headlights. Audi-paid scheduled maintenance for 4 yrs./50,000 miles.

In my view, the Audi is a no-brainer. After reading many posts here and at AudiWorld.com before I finally ordered, it seemed that the only A6s that would not offer disappointing performance were the 2.7T and 4.2. My problem was that, after crunching the numbers, I could choose between a nicely-equipped 2.8Q or a 2.7T with essentially no options. I decided to test drive a 2.8Q and was very pleasantly surprised. While it certainly does not have the sheer acceleration of the other two, it still has plenty. I ordered the 2.8Q and have never regretted it. Equally-equipped, a 2.7T would have been another 4 or 5 thousand, and that would have been a deal breaker for me. My suggestion: if you can swing the 2.7T or even the 4.2 and value their exemplary performance, go for it. You won't regret it. If those cars present an uncomfortable reach, though, and you would prefer to not spend the extra money, take a 2.8 for a drive and decide for yourself if it meets your needs. Stand on the gas pedal and see how it feels. Do the same thing at passing speeds. I think you'll be amazed.

As for the Bose, listen to it as well as the standard system (with a few of your favorite CDs) before you decide. As near as I can tell, about half the people here prefer each system. It's by no means a given that you'll like the Bose better. Personally, I'm an avid home audiophile, and I like the sound out of the standard system better than that of the Bose.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

- Mike
  • robertkmgrobertkmg Member Posts: 9
    When I checked on my car yesterday, I found the entire front end disassembled,down to the last nut, bolt and connector. I'm told that they will have it fully reassembled and road tested (not less than 250 miles) to ensure that the car is in perfect operating condition by next Wednesday (four weeks to the day from when I left it there). Then, they detail it as if it is being delivered as a new car. IF everyone (Sr. Tech, service advisors and I) is satisfied w/ the running condition, then off I go in my car w/ a two month lease refund. If not, a one month refund and a new, 2001 2.7T. I'll post an update next week.
  • rhewinsrhewins Member Posts: 5
    In response to Mike's #104 - I am an audiophile about to but a 2.7T. I assumed the Bose system would be a halfway decent midfi kind of thing, and have been surprised to hear that many prefer the base system.

Mike, what do you listen to at home, and what specifically did you like better about the basic audio system? I can certainly believe that a more expensive system, could be merely high powered and not high quality. What's the story here (hear)?

Roger
  • zoomin3zoomin3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I have followed with great interest the information, debates, and problems associated with the Audi A-6 the past few months. For the past 15 years I had not "owned" a car. My company had provided a vehicle. Late this spring I decided it was time for a personal vehicle and began the search. The A-6 met the needs (and wants) that I had for a lux. sedan. With your help I was able to close the deal on the car I wanted with the options and colors, and price in less than 30 minutes! The car had just been received that morning at the dealership. It has been 10 glorious days of "touring". The exterior color is Melange as well as the interior leather. Love it! This forum has provided a great service for me. Thank You all!
    When I first conducted my standard vs. Bose A/B test it was to determine whether or not the Bose sounded "$750 better". I went to a dealer and asked to listen to the audio systems in cars that were outside. They honored my request to be left alone; since the cars were unlocked and since you can listen to the audio units WITHOUT the key in the ignition, the process was very easy and I didn't need to bother any of the sales people.

After setting the tone controls in both systems for what was "optimum sound" for my ear, I found the Bose bass to be "muddy" (as opposed to "tight" and "controlled"). It wasn't necessarily more "intense" than that of the standard system, it just wasn't as "clean". (I'm assuming that we both use those words to describe similar phenomena.) While I certainly wouldn't call the sound quality of the standard system "audiophile" quality, I prefer it to that of the Bose mainly because of its low end. The bass is really pretty good, and certainly the "cleanest" I've heard in a factory system (except, perhaps, the Lexus Nakamichi system).

In addition, the Bose system imaging is such that the music comes from behind the front seats. That, to me, sounds quite unnatural. The imaging on the standard system is more traditional, with a stronger front stage presence.

At home, I actually listen to music through 3 different systems. The main one consists of McIntosh C36, MC7300, MC2125; Infinity Kappa 9s; Sony ES CD players (2); Denon TU680NAB; Nakamichi CR3A. It's certainly not equipment of the insane variety, but it's a notch or 2 above "mid-fi".

Another note or two, Roger...

1. Regardless of which system you choose, the head unit is the same. Only the speakers and amplifiers are system-specific.

2. If you anticipate making any mods (amp OR speakers), stay away from the Bose; on that system, the Bose speakers and amps cannot be used without each other. Replace one, and you must replace the other. At that point, you've eliminated all that you spent the extra $750 for.

3. I listen to pop/rock, jazz, and classical in my car. After 2 months of ownership, I'm very happy with the standard system. I may add a new amplifier, as I've read quite a few posts at AudiWorld.com that doing so (while leaving the factory speakers intact) dramatically improves the sound. We'll see.

4. If you can let me know what types of music you listen to in your car, I'll gladly suggest a few "test CDs" for you.

5. I don't have the optional CD changer and I don't miss it. It's really nice being able to just pop in what I want to listen to by using the dash-mounted player. If you decide that you want the changer, you can buy it on-line for $299.95 ($250 less than M.S.R.P.) from http://www.clair.com. The car comes pre-wired and you can install the changer yourself in less than 30 minutes.

Good luck, Roger!

- Mike
    In reverse order I guess. I bought the Bose mostly because that was what was in the car I was buying. I like it, I feel the quality is a cut above the regular system. The standard and Bose systems don't even share the same speaker layout, although the imaging in the front seats is good on both (IMHO). I find the bass to be lose on both systems.

As a reference point, I can't stand Bose as a company and most of their products stink sound-wise. I was pleasantly surprised from that angle with the Audi/Bose system. It also creams many other Bose systems, for example the poor systems in the TT and C5 Vette.

I hate to see things like such as the FAQ on replacing Bose speakers on www.audiworld.com. The fellow who did this noticed he was suprised that the speakers in the Bose system were 1/3rd the weight of the speakers he was replacing them with! He said Bose was obviously cheaping out on him. Of course, he didn't have a gauss meter handy, so he didn't notice the Bose speakers are rare-earth magnets and put out a field equivalent to the speakers he replaced them with.

Anyway, definitely do not buy the factory changer unless you are completely afraid of electrical stuff. There are instructions on www.audiworld.com on how to install the CD changer yourself and save a bundle. Even if you do buy the changer from the dealer, buy it in a separate transaction as an add-on to avoid paying DMV registration fees on the cost of the changer over the lifetime of the car. Any add-ons you buy with the car add to the price of the car which the DMV taxes you on. Any you buy later aren't subject to these taxes.

Finally, putting tape over the port on the Bose subwoofer has helped with the muddiness for some people. I can't imagine that's really a high-grade solution though.

Acura 3.2TL:
    Yes, what a deal. It is a very good car, almost with the pack of $40K cars (from C&D's review), yet it costs just over $30K. I toyed with the idea for a while, but I just don't like Honda interiors. They are plasticky. The 3.2TL shares this problem. Still, quite peppy, very reliable, and comfortable. And cheap.
  • rhewinsrhewins Member Posts: 5
    Mike,

Thanks for the response. Were those Mac's tube components in your home system? I have a VTL amp myself, with Proac response IIs, a passive line stage and Altis reference transport and D/A converter. Had a Velodyne 15 inch sub years ago, but sold it. Wonderful base, but cost me some transparency.

I can believe the Bose bass is muddy, and that would be a major problem for me. I like blues, jazz and classical, and a muddy low end can ruin everything. I could very well replace the whole system later anyway, so unless the sound I hear is dramatically different from what you heard, I'll stick with the base system (at least for now).

I also prefer popping a CD into the dash. I have a 10 disk changer now and rarely use it.

Thanks for the help.

Roger
  • winesnobwinesnob Member Posts: 3
    Well, its been only a few weeks since I leased my 2000 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro and posted my first Topic on the Edmunds Town Hall. It appears my excitement has caught on, seeing how many new Responses there have been since my initial post back in mid-July '00.

Since there are so many comments, ideas and thoughts out there, I decided I would jump into a few issues.

First, for all of you discussing "wind" noise at 70mph and above...all I can say is it must be nice having the ability to go that fast in your part of this beautiful country we call America. For me, here in Atlanta Georgia, my Average Speed that last two tank fulls has been about 28mph!!

Our traffic sucks, so I spend the majority of my commute fiddling with all the buttons and gizmos inside my new Audi 2.7T.

Second, regarding good deals...My car has the Conv. Pkg, Two-tone Leather seating (vanilla/onyx), Bose, Xenon, 6-CD Changer, Tiptronic and Racing Green Pearl exterior color.

I leased this 2000 machine for $625/mo on a Cap Cost of $40,500 with $0 down, no security dep, and the 12K mileage limit. Is this a good deal...don't know, don't care...since I'm having a blast driving this car.

Third, regarding the twin-turbo performance and reliability... with a 39 month lease (all covered under warranty) I don't see a concern... Just drive the damn car and you'll see what a "blast" you'll have.

Fourth, on the Quattro questions... I can tell you this car handles like a dream... My Audi Service guy tells me that the Q-system will remove power from the wheels and automatically back off the throttle (despite what the driver's foot is doing) to prevent the tires from breaking loose. Way Cool!!!!

Finally, I am glad to hear all of you who are as excited to finally see something other than a BMW 528 or Lexus GS series "tooling" around your neighborhood. I've had several folks stop and ask me all sorts of questions about my new A6 2.7T. I am glad to report I am fully satisfied.

Chow....
    Anyone having this problem with their Audi's with the HomeLink Visor option...

I've had the Audi dealer replace the driver side sun-visor (Homelink option) because I'm hearing a "bumble bee" like buzzing noise emitting from the damn thing.

First, I thought the buzzing noise was coming from inside the headliner (above the driver's visor), or possibly from the left front window pillar.

The Audi Service guy says that 90% of the time the buzzing noise is traced back to the Homelink Visor.

Since replacing I've noticed the noise is "sort of gone", but I still hear a muffled version of the buzzing...

Before I have the visor replaced for the 2nd time I was wondering if anybody else is experience this problem? If so, what have you done about it...other than turning the radio volume up!

Thanks
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Recently on a road trip(excellent in the A6) I got a stone chip on the windshield. I went to my insurance agent and they gave me the name of an auto-glass company.

I talked to the auto glass company and had them order me a new windshield. I insisted they get me an actual Audi windshield, instead of a PPG one the put in fords...

After a week of waiting I took my car in. They called me back latter to tell me the windshield wouldn't fit, they had to order another. When I asked if they could put the old windshield in they said it was damaged when they pulled it off.

So my car will be out for a week while I drive a 2000 Lumina. If you really want to appreciate your car...go drive a Lumina...my poor poor Audi

:(
    I finally got mine replaced because of distortion. Someone on here (I think) said not to worry, the replacement would be made in the US, and so probably wouldn't have the same problem as the old one.

I wish that were the case. It appears Audi shipped a windshield across the pond for me, and it is as distorted as the old one.

Bleeck.

Maybe in a couple years I'll buy my own PPG replacement to finally fix these distortions.
  • sdolvensdolven Member Posts: 20
    Many people here have commented on pricing for the 2.7T, but is Audi sticking to it's pricing on the 2.8? Is it in as much demand as the 2.7T?

What are you paying/being quoted for the 2.8? A little above invoice? $2,000 above? $2,500 above?

Would love to have some input on this one, as my earlier post noted that w/options I want, the 2.8 nears $40K but the 2.7T jumps to $45+.

From what comments I have recieved back, it seems most concurr that the Acura 3.2TL is a step below, the Volvo S80 is priced equal w/less "nicities" and performance. I think I have made up my mind on the A6 2.8 (besides...with a 11 month old son in the back, I don't want him to get whiplash w/the 2.7T he he he). You can send me e-mail on pricing if you want:
    atemp123@aol.com

Thanks in advance for all the info and tips!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I actually purchased my 99.5 A6 2.8Q (all packages) around this time last year. I paid just over 36K. 40K seems kinda high(with all options) for the 2.8.

I'm not too sure about this year, last year they had a few rebates.

good luck
    Responding to #115 & #116...

Heres the "poop" as I've heard it. Audi maybe dealing other places, but not really here in Atlanta, GA...

I was blessed to get the last 2000 model off the show room floor (with all the options I wanted), before the 2001 models arrived. I got a heck of a deal on my A6 2.7T Quattro, plus the money factor from Audi Finance was superb.

2001 models are going up in price. And since A6 ownership has become a hot commodity lately, Audi seems to be sticking to their MSRP pricing.

Going with the 2.7T automatically gets you the Quattro system. That alone "jacks" up the MSRP near $43K. Then throw in Bose, Xenon and CD changer (maybe even Warm-Weather package) and you are pushing $45Kplus.

If you don't mind "renting" the vehicle instead of outright ownership...go with a three year lease. I mean...even though its an Audi, all cars depreciate. Why would you want to pay cash or finance a depreciating asset?

Audi Finance can even do the following:

Say you had enough "dough" to pay cash up front for your new Audi A6, Audi Finance could do an up front "total" lease whereby you essentially pay your three year total lease payment now (say about $27K). Then you simply put the rest of your money (the balance between the Cap Cost and the Residual Value) in the bank or stock market to earn a better yield.

Check this out if you are a serious lease maker.

Regards....
  • mosi1mosi1 Member Posts: 12
    Anyone have recent experience with Audi dealershios in the Chicago area? I'm close to serious shopping time and am looking for a 2000 "leftover", either 2.7T, if the price is right, or a very well equipped 2.8Q. If that doesn't work I'll consider a 2001. I understand about $1500 over invoice is typical on a 2001.
  • frankcusfafrankcusfa Member Posts: 4
    For what it's worth, I just agreed to a deal on a 2001 2.7, loaded w/everything but Bose and Navigation for $2K over invoice Rietzl Audi, Norwell MA). Could I have done better? Probably, but this dealership has spent a lot of time with me educating me on Audis, quattro and the other qualities that go into their cars. Also, I was able to test drive numerous vehicles (2.7, 4.2, S4, TT)to help me decide what was right for me. I may have done better via the internet, or I could have ground the guy down another couple hundred buck, but I thought it was a fair deal and I'm happy with my decision.
    Now I can't wait to get the car!
  • tmayer1tmayer1 Member Posts: 7
    TO Mosil:
    I Bought my 2.7 silver with Onyx from
    Laurel in Westmont in June.
    My Salesman was Art Rodrieguiz.
    He was a pretty good guy, but to be honest the cars sell themselves.
    As Most 2.7's it was pretty much loaded.
    Cold weather, Sunroof, Bose, Zenons ( got to have them).

I went t three dealers in the Chicago Area.
    (1) The Exchange in Highland Park.
    (2) Lober Downtown.
    (3) Laurel in Westmont.
    Pricing was pretty Comparable.
    The difference was the 2.7's from Lober and
    The exchange Had the Navigation on them and they
    wanted to discount them,but It still cost more.
    From what I understand the Nav is a waste of Money

Also I live in Lyons, so the Dealer in Westmont made the most sence. (Versus driving to Highland
    Park for service.)

As for Left over 2.7's. GOOD LUCK.
    They were the hottest Audi seller this summer.
    In fact , Last week in the trib there was not
    even (1) for sale.

One suggestion though, There is a new and from
    what I understand a Big Dealer in Naperville
    that is owned by the Continental Group.
    Whether that is Good, Im not sure.

One final Thing. If you decide on the A6.
    It Must be a 2.7 That is the NO Brainer of your life.

One Minor Complaint. I am still getting used to
    the Stiff seats. I guess in the end it is the best
    But After My "Couch" in my olds it is a little
    adjustment.

Hope this helps.
    Tom
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Denver only has 2 Audi dealers, and they're about 30 miles apart. I feel your pain.
  • sdolvensdolven Member Posts: 20
    OK, I know this may seem dumb, but what is this "leatherette" seating surface listed as standard? Is it vinyl? Leather like? How does it feel? Is this new for Audi or has it been around?
    How does it hold up? etc!!!

Does anybody know what it is and has anyone bought an Audi with it? I test drove the A4 2.8 at EdmundsLive event and (I think) it was real leather, but it might have been leatherette.

Please educate this "seat" fool.
    Although I already responded on audiworld in the A6 section.

A4 1.8Ts are unavailable with leather in the US, yet many people want them to tweak them. As such, there are plenty of A4 drivers who have leatherette. Many more than A6 drivers. So go ask the A4 folks, you'll get tons of answers.
    Steve Bollinger is right. To hear from people who actually own cars with leatherette, talk to the A4 folks, both here and at the A4 forum at http://www.AudiWorld.com.

Although leatherette is standard on A6s with the Ambition and Ambiente atmospheres, I've never seen one so-equipped; I'd guess that of the hundreds of A6s I've seen at dealers in the past 8 months, 98% have had leather and the rest cloth (standard in the Advance atmosphere).

F.Y.I., leatherette is vinyl. It looks like leather but is "perforated" with minute holes for better breathing. It's available in satin black, maroon, and melange. Reports from A4 owners say that it looks good and wears well.
  • ferarri11ferarri11 Member Posts: 91
    the leatherette in audi products easily passes off as the real deal, so it wouldnt be that bad if you wanted to save a few dollars. i dont have it but i was told it wears well and is easy to maintain. no leather care needed. but it doesnt smell like real leather and for some this is bad, if they like the way leather smells. but i am sure some people are allergic to leather or they dont like the smell.
  • portedported Member Posts: 16
    I bought from Schaumburg Audi last year ('99 A6Q). Good experience. At the time Audi had a promotion on leases and balloon deals ($3K below invoice.) Dealer kept $1K, which they said was their standard on cars, based on the fact that there is no dealer holdback on Audi's. You should be able to do $1K over invoice on a 2.8 (or over dealer price, depending on promos,) maybe a little better. On 2.7T's, I have no idea. I know they are very popular. If money is no object, you could probably deal aggressively on a 4.2, which have not sold real well.

Good luck on a great car!
  • tcastletcastle Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Audi 2.7T has a very annoying fluttering sensation that is intermittent at > 50mph. It can start seemingly at random but often is triggered by backing off the accelerator on a downgrade. Once the fluttering begins, it cannot be stopped short of bringing car speed way down (< 45mph). The fluttering is first felt through the accelerator pedal and then the seat, but not the steering wheel. Sometimes there is a faint, muffled groaning sound or groaning feel that accompanies the fluttering (sort of like the groaning from quattro during a sharp low-speed turn, but much less pronounced).

Anyone with any ideas where to start? Dealer says that computer reveals nothing out of the ordinary.
  • mosi1mosi1 Member Posts: 12
    Ported, who did you deal with at Shaumburg? Were they up front with the leasing information? It appears that a similar deal on 4.2's is currently available but I don't know the details. The Schaumburg, Laurel and Continental dealerships are most convenient to my home and work. Any experience with the latter two?
    Tmayer1, if you don't mind, where were you compared with ported's numbers?
  • greglogreglo Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 00' 2.7T 6sp Black w/ Vanilla/Onyx since January. I have about 8500 miles on it now and just love the car.

My question is this. What do you use to keep the rubber seals around the windows clean and protected? I have heard not to use Armour All or like products. Any Ideas?

Thanks
  • lyndon2000lyndon2000 Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 A6 2.8 has had this "fluttering" ever since I got it.. dealer says the same thing; the computer shows nothing wrong. My car begins to do this at about 35 mph until about 45 or so; at higher speeds, I'm not aware of it. Without knowing too much about how all of this works, I've wondered if the computer's shift points for the transmission are off, or something. When you find out, please post what you know!
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    AFter I am finished putting some tire treatment on the tires (currently Turtle Wax 2001 tire gel), I rub the damp towel over the window rubber, It keeps it black and shiny.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    To me, it sounds like something going on with the Quatro drivetrain. There's been a discussion of this recently at AudiWorld. You might want to try your questions at:

http://www.audiworld.com/

There are some folks there who are heavy duty techies and share their knowledge.

It could also be a tire out of balance, or freak road surfaces, but that is inconsistent with any kind of groaning sound. I would be particularly concerned about that. Good luck!
  • lyndon2000lyndon2000 Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate your response... I don't think it will apply to me, since my car is not a quattro, but I intend to check out the audiworld site you posted. Thanks again.
    I dealt with Alex Kurgansky at Schaumburg. I found all of them very accommodating. Alex had no problem confirming invoice pricing (mine was from Edmunds!) and very up front about the deal, and what they needed. No games. Make sure you ask about prep charges, this was the only issue. Resolved by Alex with a free detailing. I did not do much comparison shopping, Schaumburg was the only practical distance from home, and they were providing a deal in-line with what I was reading about here. Just make sure you are prepared, and you should not have any issues. My limited exposure to their service department has been pleasant also. Their ads talk about their customer sat. awards from Audi.

I think the lack of a hold back from Audi makes the deals pretty straight-forward. Good luck!

Ported
  • wolverine8wolverine8 Member Posts: 4
    Friday I took the '01 2.7 from the dealer after ordering on April 3. I guess the wait wasn't that long, but it sure seemed long.

The car is a base model (no options) with the 6-speed. I've put 350 miles on the car with no problems. I haven't noticed any distortion in the windshield, but while wearing polarized sunglasses I noticed some distortion in the side and rear windows.

Yesterday I took it for a drive up Angels Crest Hwy. Wow. I'm trying to break the car in and I'm not accelerating hard or revving very high, but the car still drove amazingly well.

When I first drove the car the amount of initial body roll surprised me and made me think that it may not corner that well. Body roll aside, I feel that the car holds the road very well. On Angel's Crest, I reached my limits before reaching the cars. Maybe I drive slow, but the stock tires seemed to grip plenty well to me.

Well, that's the 350 mile report!
  • andys3andys3 Member Posts: 20
    ...and bought a 2001 A6 2.7T a couple of weeks ago. Thanks a million to all of you on this forum (and those who contribute to Audiworld's forum, which I've also been monitoring). I take these decisions seriously (my last car is a 1990 Acura Legend Coupe which I bought new!) as I don't buy cars every other year, and I've done exhaustive research and test driving. I immediately left on an 11 day vacation after buying the thing, so I've only had it out about 6 times, but it's great! Got a phenomenal deal too:

2001 A6 2.7T Ming/melange (Tip)
    Premium, Preferred Luxury, Cold Weather, Bose

all @ $1197 over invoice (I'm in the Baltimore/Washington market, and shopped this around to 6 different dealers). Took delivery of a car "fresh off the boat" with 7 miles on it.

My friends are very jealous.

Thanks again to all. Now that I actually have the car, I'll report back every so often with progress reports.
    Well, my Audi enthusisast friends,

I got my '00 A62.7T back today after nearly five weeks and am happy to report that the car finally runs and sounds like it should have when I first got it. I guess that all's well that ends well.
  • alcohenalcohen Member Posts: 10
    What dealer in the DC area did you get your car from?
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    For those thinking of getting a deal thru CarOrder, their website says they've closed their retail business.
    I leased my car from Rockville Porsche Audi. If you decide to stop by, ask to speak w/Jessica Melton in sales. She was very efficient. They also have an excellent service advisor named Jack Wang. He went out of his way to keep me perpetually informed about the status of work on my car. Feel free to eMail me at kornhauser@eglobaltelehealth.com if you want more information.
    Got the car at Len Stoler. I was surprised that they offered the best deal, but they did (by about $500). If you are so inclined, ask for Frank Greenstein and tell them Andy Sonin sent you. He was laid back, knowledgeable, and not at all sleazy.
    Ignore the body roll as much as you can. The car will corner well if you push it. The body roll pushes many people off of pushing it.

It's no M5 in cornering, but it does quite well.
  • alcohenalcohen Member Posts: 10
    HBL in Silver Spring MD has a "previously owned" 4.2, cold package, Xeon, 17" tire upgrade, CD changer with 7300 miles on it. Is asking $44,300, full warranty, that is 36 months 50K miles. Tough to decide between this and a GS400.
  • frankcusfafrankcusfa Member Posts: 4
    Alcohen if you are unsure whether to purchase a GS400 or A6 4.2, then you are asking the wrong question ("is this a good deal?"). GS400 is a great car, but much different than the Audi. The "feel" immediately when you sit behind the wheel, and the handling is different. I would characterize the differences as a sporty luxury car (GS400) vs a luxurious sports sedan (AUDI). On wet or snow covered roads there is nothing like Quattro which is unique to Audi.
    Go back and drive them both and then decide which meets your needs better. Then decide if the deal is the best you can get (It sounds pretty good to me, but you should factor a full year's depeciation even though it only has 7500 miles).
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    Well, I'm back. Some of you veterans of this topic might remember my regular contributions from fall '99 through March '00. At the time I was choosing my next car, and as you know, I chose the A6. Melange/Melange 2.8Q with preferred and cold weather packages, to be exact. I leased the car in March, and have loved it since day 1.

I have always said that my '90 Honda Accord was the best car I ever owned, despite being much cheaper than some of them. So far, the A6 is making me forget all about the Accord.

My only problem thus far is an occasional squeak from the headliner above the rear view mirror. Everything else is just perfect.

My question for you Long Islanders: Since I leased through a broker who found my car all the way up near Albany, I don't have a local dealer relationship for service. I live and work about halfway between Audi of Huntington and Biener, but it's not much further to Legend or Anchor.

Where should I get my car serviced? My 6-month service is coming up next month, so it's time to make an appointment. Look forward to hearing from some of you.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    I'd like suggestions on how to negotiate the best lease deal. The current Audi promotion for $399/mo on 2000's seems good on its face, but its only 10k miles per year and .20 per mile over...expensive! Should I negotiate like I'm buying, and then work the lease details? Also, any info on experiences with either Rusnak Audi in Thousand Oaks or Cutter Motors Santa Barbara would be welcomed?
    Absolutely don't tell them you're leasing at the outset! Negotiate a "cash" price, then when that's agreed ask about leasing. Specifically, you want to know the "money factor" (currently .00285 on 2001 A6 2.7T), which is a number that you multiply by 2400 to figure out the interest rate, the residual value (expressed as a percent of the MSRP after X amount of months, and any other "add-on" charges (initiation fee, termination fee). Know how long you want to lease, and how many miles/year you need. Don't put too much cash down (capital cost reduction). Most important, read the very helpful guide to Leasing on this website; it's how I learned!
    Hey mosi,

Ever pull the trigger? Would love to know what you ended up with, the deal, etc.

Ported
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    andys3's advice is right on. Also - don't pay any "Acquisition" or "Disposition" fees. These are simply bank or dealer scams to gouge more money out of you. Why should you pay them extra to "acquire" the car or to take it back later? This is what their profit is for! Even if you have to walk, don't pay these fees. They will find a way to remove them, as they did for me.

Also- when you compute the true interest rate, (money factor x 2400) it should be near the going rate to buy a car. I have seen deals with low cost and then high m.f. so they get their money one way or another! Take your time and read everything carefully. Don't lease for longer than the warranty!

By the way, my neighbors bought from Rusnak in Pasadena and speak VERY highly of them, and I have been treated well at Keyes Audi in Van Nuys (but not bought yet). Good Luck!
  • mcrobmcrob Member Posts: 1
    Several weeks ago, I expressed my disappointed at the Bose "upgrade" audio system in my otherwise wonderful 2000 A6 2.7t. Unfortunately, I hadn't had an opportunity to A-B the two different systems before I ordered the Bose system. Although I'm not an audiophile, I do listen to music at home through Thiel speakers, etc. but I really have very modest expectations for a car audio system. However, even my modest expectations have not been met with the muddy and unpleasant-sounding Bose system. I had given up listening to music in my car altogether when a friend of my (who is a bona fide audiophile) spent ten or fifteen minutes teaking the various tone controls. Essentially, he brought down the treble significantly and eased up on the bass just a bit. Whereas we didn't succeed in getting the system to produce lovely sound, I am, though, a tad less disgruntled than I was previously and now listen to the radio from time to time and slip in a CD once in awhile. All in all, I would still caution anyone who is buying an A6 to listen to both systems before paying the $700 extra for the ostensible upgrade.
  • mbnutmbnut Member Posts: 7
    While I can't speak for the A6 I can share a similar disappointment with my A4's Bose system as well. This came after listening to my friends Mercedes E-Class Bose system. I am not an audiophile but the difference was striking, particularly the sweetness and the clearity of the sound. That system had two speakers near the corners of the dash compared to my one in the upper part of the door.