Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A6

Comments

• Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    You mean the same W8 that will grace the new Passat W8 coming soon to our shores?

You mean that there may be instead of a 2.9T A6 a W8 that will be the middle car in the line up?

Is THAT what you mean? Hmmm -- well then what the heck is the development of a 2.9T intended to go into?

I read some very nice (UK) press about the W8 Passat -- but then again on that side of the Atlantic, they will certainly have a 6spd manual on the option list -- we PROBABLY will not. Perhaps the first W8 with a manual then would be a A6 W8.

That would work.
  • Options
    timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    the same W8. This was in a small piece in either Auto Week or C&D. It may have been a mention in an article on the then upcoming W8 Passat. It was only a line or two, and as I recall it was couched in terms like either "rumored" or "proposed." So, it's just as likely it might be a 2.9T instead. The possible configurations for A6 models are almost endless: A 3.0, 2.9T & 4.2. A 3.0, W8 & 4.2. A 3.0, W8 & 4.2T (AKA RS6). Or maybe a 3.0, 2.9T & W8. Some have opined that there won't be 2.9T, because it'll push about the same hp as the 4.2, but I think the W8 makes about 275hp, so it's already getting pretty close. From a production perspective it would seem to make sense for Audi to limit the number of different blocks they're going to put in one platform, so that argues for a 2.9T based on essentially the same engine as the 3.0. Guess we'll have to wait and see. One thing that I do expect is significant increases in the available hp in upcoming Audi's to fit with the corporate plan. But it could also be at substantially greater cost like the M5. That might argue for a lineup like 3.0, 4.2 and 4.2T, and a mid-power turbo engine could go away entirely.
  • Options
    mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    I'm not sure where I read it, but I recall seeing an article about an A6 or A8 with a turbo V8 delivering more than 300 horses, coming in the 2004 model year. About the 3.0 A6, when I was looking for an A6 last December, I stayed away from the 3.0 for one reason: fear of the unknown. I had been burned before for buying a model with an unproven performance, and got stuck with a vehicle that turned out to be a dud. I would have considered it for 2003 since by then all the kinks and problems would had been worked out/remedied.
  • Options
  • Options
    canadianmcanadianm Member Posts: 2
    I have to choose very soon between the two -- I can get a good lease deal on a 2001 (7 months old) BUT I need some opinion on whether I should still pursue a new 4, which I've had my eyes on for a few months.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? How much bigger *is* the A6 over the A4? BTW, I wouldn't be getting the 3.0 engine in the 4 if I did, and would have the Quattro version in both.
  • Options
    Thanks for the URL. Wow, that was one hot set of wheels. It does look like the current edition of the A6, except that it has the Nav on it. Nice work.
  • Options
    The A6 has more room than even the newest generation A4. Particularly shoulder room and rear seat legroom. You didn't mention which version A6 you're looking at. There's a lot of difference among the cars dependent upon engine and suspension. If you're comparing an '01 2.8 A6 to the '02 1.8T, the A6 will be softer and more refined, the A6 significantly sportier and better handling. I don't think 0-60 time would be that different, and the 2.8 may even be quicker, but the 1.8T is a gutsy engine that feels pretty quick, though a bit harsh.
  • Options
    greg_xgreg_x Member Posts: 9
    I'm about to buy a new (demo) '01 A6 2.8 w/ 9k miles

Sticker is $39,025 and the dealer is trying to sell it to me for $35,000

Any advice on if this is a good deal? Can anyone point me in the right direction to determine what incentives the dealer is getting on an '01?

Thanks for any help
  • Options
    morphiemorphie Member Posts: 95
    Greg:

A 2.8 A6 (2001) with 9K miles does not sound like a fair deal. In the northeast, new 2.8's were selling for near invoice, when the 2002's were released. You would be purchasing a used vehicle, and paying a premium.

Other than Edmunds' and Kelly's web sites, I am not familiar with information on dealer incentives. You might try asking another Audi dealer, in your area; Especially if he has new 2001's in stock. The dealer from whom we purchase our Audi's gives his salesmen significant bonuses if they move left over stock.

Good luck with your search.
  • Options
    ewoqewoq Member Posts: 37
    At 35K, you should be getting a 2001 2.7T virtually new or with very low mileage. Keep looking.
  • Options
    I'd be reluctant to buy a demo at any price because of the significant possibility of abuse. I suspect the economics of the transaction with a dealer would make it difficult to buy one for anywhere near what it's worth to me. I.e., a 1 1/2-year-old used car with 9000 miles and possible abuse isn't worth anywhere close to dealer invoice to me.
  • Options
    minos2minos2 Member Posts: 3
    I am having difficulty playing music CD-R discs in my 2001 Audi A6 4.2 sedan. I recently installed a TDK 24x10x40x CD Burner in my computer. I have been able to play high speed music CD-R discs in my $80.00 portable CD player, my compact stereo CD player, and my wife's 1999 Volvo S80 sedan without any problems. I have used different CD-R brands and have decreased my burn speed from 24x speed down to 8x speed trying to avoid the CD "err" message. I have difficulty with the inability of a $50,000.00 sedan to play CD-R discs!!! I expect a more sophisticated audio system at this level!
  • Options
    Mike, you might try posting here about your problem to see if anyone knows of work-around:

http://www.audiworld.com/forum/index.html

I believe the A6 head unit is made by Panasonic. I know little else about it. Good luck!

• Options
    greg_xgreg_x Member Posts: 9
    After doing some homework in the newspaper, I uncovered another Audi dealership selling a '01 2.7T with 8k miles for $29,900

Due to the depreciation, I'm tempted to wait and see if Audi comes out with any new lease deals in the coming months.
  • Options
    canadianmcanadianm Member Posts: 2
    OK, thanks for the info. Yes, it's a 2001 2.8 Avant vs an A4 1.8T (sedan). Yes, there's the sedan vs wagon question but we could go either way on the practicality vs beauty question. But you're right, the A6 drives much more smoothly and with a feeling of luxury whereas the A4, though I think very nice looking now, just has that sporty feel that, for my wife who'll be driving it, is not enough draw (me, that's another matter).

The dog will like the Avant, naturally.
  • Options
    turtlespeedleeturtlespeedlee Member Posts: 1
    I have a TDK 24x-10x-40x CD-RW installed in my computer so I can burn music cd's to play in my 2001 Audi 2.7t. I haven't experienced any issues with playing my newly burned CD's with my stock Audi cd player. On another note, my wife does have an 2000 Acura TL which does experience issues with the CD's playing correctly.

These are the steps I use to burn a CD using the TDK Digital Mixmaster.
    1) Press "Rec/Rip" red button.
    2) Select "Record an audio cd".
    3) Under options you can change the write speed. I record 16x (2,400kB/s) since I have CD-R media that is rated for 16x. Prime Peripherals 80min/700mb.
    4) Next I have the buffer underrun protection box checked.
    5) Once I hit "finish" the program will start the burning process.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
  • Options
    My 01 A6 4.2 will not play CD-RW's but it will play CD-R's, one of my friend's cars, a 1996 Impala will, however play CD-RW's -- go figure. I assume we are talking CD-R's NOT CD-RW's, there are differences that make CD-RW's more problematic in many CD players.

My $.02 worth.
  • Options
    minos2minos2 Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate the feedback and recommendations. I am referring to CD-R's not CD-RW discs. The program I am using is Nero 5 to burn the CD's. I may have to try TDK Digital Mixmaster. I'll keep the "board" posted if / when I find a solution. Thanks.
  • Options
    A sales associate at Circuit City told me that if the CD-R is not for music or conversly is for data that some CD units recognize the difference and will refuse to "read" the disc.

For example, I have a Pioneer CD recorder (three playback CD changer on the left and a record/play CD drawer on the right.) It will only record on CD's that say "for MusicCD's" -- CD burners in computers apparently will record anything that can be directed to them including music, and that some CD playback units (which I assume include car players) will not "boot up" such a CD-R. Guess what? CD-R's that are labeled for music cost more than data CD's -- I thought it was only a royalty issue, not a technical issue. The "young man" from Circuit City says that the Music CD-R's have a special "TOC" (table of contents section of the disc) that certain players recognize therefore making them "legitimate." I am only reporting this, and my own experience with my Pioneer home CD recorder. I do not burn my CD's in my computer. The Circuit City guy claims that while it is technically possible to burn music on a non music CD that it is "like stealing."

Again, I am merely reporting this individual's comments. If the salesman is correct, perhaps you should check to see if your blank CD's are marked "for Music."

Just a thought.
  • Options
    For the next day or possibly two there is a loaner 2002 Audi A6 3.0 -- my wife's TT is in the shop for what appears to be a dead power window motor (and the part, if needed will probably be a day or two in arriving). The new 3.0 is a quattro and has several options, including leather, home link, compass, tiptronic, upgraded stereo and heated seats, etc.

The car has about 1,100 miles on it.

So, my wife throws me the keys to the '02 and says take it out for a drive. Now for those of you who don't remember or don't care, I did have a 1999 A6 2.8 quattro for about 8 months -- the car was very nice in all respects except power -- uh, er, it had none. I used to claim 0-60mph, same day. My last two A6's have both been 4.2 V8's and I have test driven two A6 2.7T's and a couple of allroad 2.7T's. I have driven the 2.7T's with both the tip and manual transmissions.

My wife owned a '98 A4 2.8 and I have been loaned several A4's mostly 1.8T's and even an S4 when my A6's were in for service. Net net: I have driven every possible Audi fairly recently.

I had not extensively driven an A6 3.0 quattro before -- I can now say that something greater than 10% more power must be afoot! This car was impressive. I took it full throttle on some back roads, got to 75 mph and found nothing to be concerned about. Great sound from the engine, very good acceleration and overall a car with a totally different character from the last 2.8 quattro I spent time with.

Too bad this engine is not available with a manual transmission. Too bad a sport package option is not available for this engine. And, although over $10,000 more than the current Passat GLX 2.8 4Motion -- the differences are significant. The next step up the ladder, the 2.7T would not be as dramatically more potent now as it was when the bottom rung was the 2.8. This would indicate to me that a new middle car had better be soon in coming, especially with that dandy new W8 Passat that will be launched soon.

Timcar's comments about the W8 finding its way into an Audi are beginnning to make sense to me now.

Anyway, color me impressed with the 2002 A6 quattro tiptronic with the 3.0 engine. It is no 2.7T or 4.2, to be sure, but it is way better than the outgoing 2.8 -- way better.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    WOW! I think I just messed myself!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    trejos28trejos28 Member Posts: 93
    I'm approaching 5,000 miles, time I believe for the first oil change. Although I'm not waiting to be prompted by the onboard computer, does it start advising you once the odometer reads 5,000?

Not the most earth shattering question, but I'd appreciate your quick input.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm not there yet, but the dealer attached a sticker to my window, indicating my next scheduled visit is at 12,000 miles or 12 months from delivery, whichever comes first. The manual would confirm this schedule. If you go sooner, you will have to pay for the service out of your pocket. I hope this helps. Mario
  • Options
    This is getting quite weird: our 2002 A6's service manual states that the intervals are 10,000 miles.

For what it is worth: I have never adapted to oil changes in excess of 7,500, even with synthetics.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi all,

A reporter is trying to find consumers who've traded up from mass-market brands (e.g. Toyota, Chevy, Ford, etc.) to luxury nameplates. He says, "I'm not looking for lottery winners, just regular folks who wanted more car." If you have a story to share, please send it to me at jfallon@edmunds.com. It is helpful for you to include your e-mail, phone number and city/state of residence when you respond. Deadline for submission to this one is March 6. Thanks as always for your input!

Very best,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    Mario and others -

So although my manual (01 2.8 A6) says 5,000 miles/or 6 months is the time for first oil change/rotation of tires/etc, I 'm actually "required" to come in at 12,000? I assume my onboard computer will tell me when it's officially time to go in, right???

Thanks again.
  • Options
    My '01 2.7T was 5K for first, and each 10K afterwards. I'd follow that schedule, unless you don't trust the oil to 10K, and want to do it sooner. My onboard computer has never comented.
  • Options
    tmanlawtmanlaw Member Posts: 17
    My 2002 2.7T had first scheduled maintenance (oil change, etc.) at 5,000. Second was at 10,000 (just this week). When I asked what the next service was, I was told 20,000. I told them I'd see them again at 15,000 for an oil change, on my nickel.
  • Options
    tmanlawtmanlaw Member Posts: 17
    Oops. My A6 2.7T is a 2001, not 2002.
  • Options
    jdbtensaijdbtensai Member Posts: 122
  • Options
    wculbertwculbert Member Posts: 8
    Thinking of replacing my 1999 2.8 A6 with the new 2002 3.0 CVT FWD. I have read different reports on the 0-60 times ranging from 9.3 to 7.1 sec. Anyone know the truth?
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't personally. But I suspect somewhere on the AoA website is a figure, either under comparisons or specifications. Unlike many/most other manufactures, Audi's performance claims tend to be pretty accurate.
  • Options
    sgbraithsgbraith Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the great information here while I was deciding on my purchase; it was a big help, both in deciding what I really wanted to buy and in buying it. Picked up my 2002 2.7T last weekend and I love it- I keep asking my wife if she needs anything at the store.

Anyway, nice getting some input from other users. Hope I can be a help too.
  • Options
    Morphie, you are absolutely right. It is 10K or one year. I checked my maintenance manual, and the sticker from the dealer (post 2325 above), and both say 10K. Sorry for the confusion.

FWIW, it's not the money for an oil change before the 10K milestone - I simply have no time to take it to the dealer, if I don't have to. If Audi says 10K - that's fine with me. I seriously doubt if the shorter timeframe would make a significant difference in the car's performance. I can be wrong though. What do you say, resident experts? We need your feedback, please.

For the long term effect, I am not concerned because I will surely replace it with a new one in 3 years, if not sooner. The next one I will surely take better care of, because it's a keeper. Cest la vie. Enjoy the ride. Mario
  • Options
    I mentioned, in a prior post, the 02 A6 3.0 quattro with 5spd tip that was in our garage for two days while my wife's TT was having a power window motor replaced. The acceleration was impressive. But, alas I did not time it -- I suspect that the 0-62 times are available on the web for the CVT and the Tip on this car.

I certainly would find such statistic informative and interesting, but perhaps like most of us you would find numbers less convincing than feel. I owned a 1999 A6 2.8, which in every way but one was a fine car -- Woof Woof Woof -- what a dog! The 02 3.0 A6 quattro was strong in acceleration -- and even though I am in no way suggesting that it would nip at the heels of my 4.2, I can say that you would no longer have to buy Alpo.

So, if the heavier quattro with a 5spd seemed completely acceptable, I would assume that the CVT would be even better. But, I would look up the numbers for a wee bit more due diligence.

I read so much, I can't remember where for certain I saw it, but I think Car & Driver tested the CVT THIS MONTH (March 2002 issue) and that it is available on line, just enter Car & Driver into the search argument at www.dogpile.com.

Good luck and enjoy this new more potent "entry level" A6.
  • Options
    I'm at 5,000 miles now. So does this mean I'm in for the first service at 6,100 miles? If so, I assume Audi pays for this. I'm leasing ('01 2.8), if that makes any difference.

Thanks again. [:+)
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Several on this board are aware of what's going on in Europe. The so-called "sports wagon" is all over the place there. They don't do SUV's and minivans are relatively rare.

Having owned a '72 Volvo wagon (Volvo had a performance wagon then as well), I'm aware of the practical advantages of owning such a vehicle. Europeans in general seem more practical and less image-driven than those in the U.S., and the station wagon (or square-back, or whatever) seems to fill the bill.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    If you're in the U.S. AoA will pay for maintenance according to the owner's manual. In my '01, the first oil change was at 5K, the 2nd at 10K and each 10k thereafter. If you're '01, or if '02 is the same, that's when AoA will pay for oil changes. I prefer to use Mobil 1, so I bring my own 0W-30 Mobil 1 oil, as the dealer doesn't stock it. Otherwise, they'll use whatever oil they have. When my wife inquired what they use, she was told it's 15W-40 dino for everybody. Sorry, none of that for my turbo's, thank you!
  • Options
    The use of Mobil 1, (0w-30), is an excellent selection. So long as the rings have seated, and the "use" of oil is moderate to nil, Mobil 1 provides significant protection and a modest increase in economy. The SAE tests, and the Mobil literature, are most impressive. I have used it since about 1985. Not inexpensive, but surely cheap insurance.

It should be noted that Mobil 1 is not the only well regarded synthetic. In addition, unless the manufacturer uses it as factory fill, or the dealer employs it exclusively (very rare), most leased vehicles do not enjoy its benefits, primarily due to cost.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes, Mark, opinions only. I'm the last thing from an oil expert. I prefer Mobil 1 only because I've been using it for about 25 years, have had no engine problems with any car in which I've ever used it, and am hence entirely satisfied. My nature is to use anything with which I've been pleased until I no longer am. More knowledgeable people than I have recommended Red Line oil. I've no reason to doubt them, but I've not investigated it.
  • Options
    I have had a xenon headlight problem that may be of interest:

After going through our usual commercial car wash, a few days ago, my wife noticed a considerable amount of water on the inner lens of the right side headlight (2002 A6). The dealer looked at it and determined that the upper seal had broken, and ordered a replacement. I found it slightly humorous that they needed to take a photograph, for Audi, in order to justify obtaining a replacement. Evidently, the cost is considerable. The service manager stressed that there should be no condensation on the inner lens, much less the larger collection of water we had.

I resolved one other xenon issue: I inquired, while at the dealership, if the xenon's had a more abrupt cut off, on the driver's side, than the stock units. The answer was "yes". If you are not familiar with the term "cut off", it refers to an intentional design feature wherein the low beams do not rise above a predetermined level beyond a set distance. This prevents blinding of oncoming drivers.

The xenons, as most are probably aware, have a self leveling feature. However, there are manual adjustments possible. I will have the A6's left headlight set a bit higher, hopefully not high enough to annoy oncoming drivers. If improperly adjusted, I am sure we will get "flashed."
  • Options
    My wife's '01 A4 has halogens, and has the same stair-step pattern as my xenon's. In fact, hers are lower, whereas I find the height of my xenon's just about right.
  • Options
    Mark, check out the audiworld website. Featured this week is the RS6 with a 4.2 biturbo with about 450 horses, with 18" or 19" wheels, and other goodies. It will be presented at the Frankfurt Auto Show next month. It looks great.

http://www.audiworld.com/news/02/rs6/
  • Options
    I'll bet $100 to anyone who wants to take the bet -- and I said any ONE to limit my possible liabiltiy -- that that car will never cross the Atlantic and make it to Audi of America.

Now, I do believe an auto transmission version of the S6 -- at perhaps 360HP (from the S8) may make it to our shores -- but probably not until the 12 cylinder A8 (in any flavor -- A8 A8L or S8) makes it to this side of the Atlantic.

It is somewhat odd, looking through the all Audi brochure -- where the quickest Audi is today a 6spd manual 2.7T A6 -- it's quicker than the S6 Avant and the S8. I'll wager, too that there could be some pretty aggressive and lux things done to the 2.7T -- I just don't understand why you can't order them from the factory. You can spend $20K more for a car that is .5 of a second less quick. I believe the 2.7T is 0-60 in 6.0 seconds and the S6 is 6.5 seconds.

My death of manual transmission prediction may be coming ture sooner than I thought. My dealer has perhaps one manual transmission A6 in stock and none on order unless they are for customers -- the one they have in stock was a special order where the customer changed his/her mind.

They had ONE allroad manual transmission -- and it was a "strippie," too.

The VW folks say no W8 VW will have anything but an auto, too.

The market will, somewhat understandably, ignore a few screaming voices in the wilderness. I have never found anyone who, when given the chance and a bit of a push, didn't prefer a manual transmission -- it is just like my friend who has never eaten a lobster, he knows they taste bad. Most folks buy automatics, not because they are better than manuals, but because they have never tried one.

Even the guy at the car wash can't drive my wife's TT up to the wash bay.

And, despite my encouragement to try, won't.

In a world capable of "mass customization," it is ironic that some choices are actually being elimitated.

But, the Audi (and frankly VW) product lineup is already pretty good and the near term future (especially for Audi) looks very tasty indeed.
  • Options
    jdbtensaijdbtensai Member Posts: 122
    but i think you may be right. tried to teach my girlfriend to drive my car. stalled it once, panicked and she hasn't tried since.
    come on, it ain't that hard.
    and it is more fun.
    i want to see the 2.9t s4 with a manual.
    and i'd love to see the rs6 from audiworld (and a future rs4 if there is one) in the u.s. with a manual. but it looks like the rs6 isn't even made with a manual.
    is that correct?
  • Options
    dre_jdre_j Member Posts: 15
    I have 3500 miles on my 02' A6 4.2 Sport/Pearl/Prem.

What is the rational for debadging your A6? I can't bring myself to do it. Do any of you know why people do it?

a) 2.8/3.0 to hide low-end Audi?
    b) 2.7T to hide bi-turbo?
    c) 4.2 to hide V8? (Flares give it away)
    d) Stealth look? (sleeper)

I'm listening.
    Dre

P.S. I still want to have a Cincinnati area meet.
  • Options
    dre_jdre_j Member Posts: 15
    I'm not sure you are aware of this but the Stair stepping (Cut off) of the Xenon lights are built into each light fixture. The best way to view this is pull up to your garage door and look at the individual bean reflections on the garage door.

I've had mine adjusted by the dealer to the high side of the adjustment range. I've seen the location for adjustment and have made adjustments myself after seeing where it's done. It's an easy procedure to do.
  • Options
    Guess only the person doing it knows for sure, but I suspect all of your conjectures might be correct in specific instances. My sense of it is that it is because the person doing it thinks it's cool. Rather like reverse snobbery. I.e., ricers paste stickers all over their cars but A6's are so cool they don't require added identification.