Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Road Trip!

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The moisture is nice to have....

The Sunday paper didn't arrive and our guy is usually super reliable. :'(
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    stever said:

The moisture is nice to have....

The Sunday paper didn't arrive and our guy is usually super reliable. :'(

Note to self: remove Las Cruces from possible retirement destinations.

Actually, I already did that, when I saw the "Sun" Bowl game from El Paso, yesterday. 35 F and snow.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    stever said:

It's gotta be a record. :D Looks like it's finally let up. Here's a shot from thirty minutes ago. Two of our houseguests bugged out at 4:30 am to go take photos from the other side of the Organ Mtns. but had to come back thanks to white-out conditions.

We have this much snow every year in PA. Not yet this year though :smile:
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Yep, Steve brought the snow with him. It'd be very cool to have that here, anything more than 3" or so is armageddon in the Seattle area.

Driving back on a dreary and cold but dry day yesterday, here's the WSP in action. OR plated Odyssey, no doubt indulging in the freedom of WA speed limits from the strange repressive limits in Oregon, likely forgot the 70 zone ended about 20 miles before this point, and was probably going ~75. They usually give a ~10mph leeway. Bonus, high quality audio - you never know what will be on the radio:

https://youtu.be/Ui9prtuChjY
  • Options
    Still impressed by the quality of your dashcam setup. Not so impressed by the available music LOL.
  • Options
    It's been running fine for almost 11 months now. I'll definitely continue to run one in my daily driver, and have thought of using one in the old car too.

Maybe the Odyssey driver thought he could just "streak" along :)
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    WSP may use pickup trucks and other unusual vehicles, but they are still minor league compared to the tactics of places like Maryland ;)
  • Options
    Or the idiocy of Virginia...

When I was younger, a small notorious speed trap town near where my mother lives had a Pathfinder as their trap car. Probably fooled a few people.

It's cold here now, so some places are just slathering the roads with de-icer - no matter that it is also very dry. Like the little hill I live on - tons of de-icer, no moisture. The stuff seems to stick to windshields like glue once it rains. Good enough for government work I guess, no doubt the same group who does such a job with traffic controls.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    edited December 2015
    NJ State Police have begun using Chevy SSs with alloy wheels in all black. The graphics are a grey hologram that is barely visible. I'm sure they catch a few barreling down the Turnpike.

Speaking of speeding.. I was heading home last night and was admittedly moving along faster than I probably should have been when a 2 door Audi blew by me at well over 100 MPH at the end of one freeway into another.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

NJ State Police have begun using Chevy SSs with alloy wheels in all black. The graphics are a grey hologram that is barely visible. I'm sure they catch a few barreling down the Turnpike.

Speaking of speeding.. I was heading home last night and was admittedly moving along faster than I probably should have been when a 2 door Audi blew by me at well over 100 MPH at the end of one freeway into another.

SS looks like a serious competitor to the BMW 7 and the Audi A8 :smile:
  • Options
    Lovely first day of 2016 here on the eastside, was out on local roads in the old car:

• Options
    Did you see the December Readers Digest - Seattle and Portland are going to fall into the Pacific Ocean any day now due to an earthquake B)
  • Options
    Just like CA, last time I checked, it was there too :)

There will always be another quake and it is good to be prepared, but sometimes I think the alarm ringers own shares in companies that sell prep kits and retrofitting equipment.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    Same with the intermountain west - the volcano under Yellowstone is 60,000 years overdue on erupting.

I'm not rearranging my life to worry about it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    Michaell said:

Same with the intermountain west - the volcano under Yellowstone is 60,000 years overdue on erupting.

I'm not rearranging my life to worry about it.

People in the Pacific Northwest should prepare to join China when the Yellowstone Volcano erupts and splits up the USA :worried:
  • Options
    I heard that when the Yellowstone volcano blows, it's going to wipe out a lot of the northern hemisphere. I remember as a kid during the Cuba nuclear crisis having these drills on how to get home from school when the missiles came flying toward Chicago. Now I enjoyed the time away from class, but couldn't help wondering even at that age if it wasn't just better to run toward the explosion and get it over with quickly rather than probably starving to death slowly after the event.
  • Options
    Back in the nuke-em cold war days, the lucky ones indeed would have been vaporized upon initial impact. Prevailing winds during a Yellowstone supereruption would wipe out everything to the east and north east - so much ash.

The PNW will join China sooner, when "investors" buy up enough prime residential real estate.
  • Options
    Funny. I recall it was only several decades ago that Japan went on the US real estate binge buying up chunks of NYC and LA. I believe the bubble they built burst and a lot of their money was lost.
  • Options
    berri said:

Funny. I recall it was only several decades ago that Japan went on the US real estate binge buying up chunks of NYC and LA. I believe the bubble they built burst and a lot of their money was lost.

Yes. Japan went into a severe recession for the next ten years after the bubble burst. Somehow I don't see that happening to China. They have their fingers in pies all over the World
  • Options
    Yeah, China is a lot bigger than Japan in every way, figuratively and literally. I wouldn't cry if that bubble burst, but I don't see it happening.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    stever said:
    I need to move up on the Oregon Coast.
  • Options
    What makes me a little cautious in some of these heated local real estate markets is that eventually the foreign interest will wane and move on to something else. Meanwhile, given the lower compensation packages for younger employees coupled with surging child care costs, just who will then be able to buy all of these inflated priced homes?
  • Options
    Awful lot of dirty money to come out of China and a few other places before they move on - and not a lot of land to buy here. It'll be at least a generation. The "investor" no-questions-asked residency purchasers buy up all the prime stuff, a few lucky/successful locals get in, normal people buy condos or live in distant suburbs, kind of like Manhattan in a way (that'd be a long road trip).
  • Options
    I was kind of surprised how relatively sparsely Bremerton is populated compared to Seattle since it only something like an hour ferry ride to Seattle, which I think is probably similar to many suburban commutes on the Interstates out there. Seemed like a lot of land over there at least.
  • Options
    Miami and Southern Florida real estate is being snapped by Latin American dirty money.
    West coast real estate snapped by the super rich Chinese millionaires including in Vancouver and BC.
    Nowhere in the World is your dirty money safe then in American real estate.
  • Options
    Vancouver is like Seattle but a few degrees more insane. Average detached house in the city proper is well over 1MM now. Seattle is a bargain in comparison. I think Canada asks even fewer questions than Murka,

Regarding Bremerton (which can be a nice drive on a sunny day), I think most don't want to be at the mercy of the ferries, as the city itself doesn't have quite the amenities of Seattle. It's a bit of a drive if one doesn't use a ferry, and the closer areas like Tacoma have enough affordable housing to not tempt commuters with a trip to the peninsula. Not a ton of high wage private sector employers there (I think the main one there is still the Naval shipyard), that's a factor too. Definitely a good deal if you want to take the boat - housing is probably 75% less than in Seattle, and a lot of nice prewar middle class homes there.
  • Options
    It was very pretty driving from there to the Olympics, but then the entire area is very pretty (well maybe not the industrial areas and the Tacoma aroma), but nothing's really 100%.
  • Options
    On the road today, temps always well above freezing, highs in the 40s, I noticed my street is coated with de-icer again. Thanks guys. Everyone in the area should have their car detailed and send the city the bill - seriously, this stuff seems to bond to paint and glass better than it bonds to the road. Nice job.

Hopefully something like this won't happen again - what is paved with good intentions again?
  • Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    "what is paved with good intentions again?"

Well, you've said yourself what driving in Seattle can be like...

:D
  • Options
    Does it count as a road trip if you drive an hour to the airport? Off to Chattanooga this afternoon. Wonder if I'll see any VWs?
  • Options
    stever said:

Does it count as a road trip if you drive an hour to the airport? Off to Chattanooga this afternoon. Wonder if I'll see any VWs?

Do you fly into Knoxville or??

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ATL to Chattanooga on Delta. They actually have flights to Chattanooga again. And rumor is that most of them aren't cancelled any more. :D
  • Options
    I remember back in the 70's when Delta was still flying Convair 440 turbo props into places like Chattanooga.
  • Options
    For a while in the 90s there was nothing flying in or out except for Krystal Hamburger jets. They did a big airport remodel but it took a while to get some commercial flights in. Now there's like 45 a day but my nephew-in-law missed so many connections due to cancelled flights that he only flies out of Atlanta. I'm sure having VW and an Amazon warehouse there has helped.

El Paso is hopping today, took almost 10 minutes to get through security.
  • Options
    Oh yeah - Krystal Burgers - the White Castle of the south!
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    That's a Chevy Caprice PPV, not a Chevy SS Sedan. Same platform, built at same factory...
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    It's essentially the same thing.... Much like a Grand Marquis and a P71 Crown Vic.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited January 2016
    No, tjc78, Chevy SS and Caprice PPV are not essentially the same thing, even though they share a platform and factory. But we each can have our own opinions, and I respect yours while disagreeing. Maybe the vast differences between the cars are in areas which are not significant to you, but which are very significant to me!?

Also dude man, a Chevy SS vs Caprice PPV comparo is nothing like a Grand Marquis vs cop Crown Vic comparo. Ew!
  • Options
    Hanging out in Chattanooga stuck in my brother's house because there's freezing rain out today. The garbage truck just made it up (and down) the steep hill he lives on but the closest Interstate junction ~10 miles away is shut down in both directions thanks to a wreck.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Las Cruces should be close to 70 today. Bright sunshiny day in NM.
  • Options
    stever said:

Hanging out in Chattanooga stuck in my brother's house because there's freezing rain out today. The garbage truck just made it up (and down) the steep hill he lives on but the closest Interstate junction ~10 miles away is shut down in both directions thanks to a wreck.

2" of snow, here... 40 minutes for a 20 minute commute.

I love winter tires. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited January 2016
    There's nothing worse than an ice storm in the South. Can't even walk to the mailbox here. My wife stayed back home and was bragging on the weather last night when I called.
  • Options
    stever said:

There's nothing worse than an ice storm in the South. Can't even walk to the mailbox here. My wife stayed back home and was bragging on the weather last night when I called.

Maybe she will get bit by a rattlesnake...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    kyfdx said:

stever said:

Maybe she will get bit by a rattlesnake...
    Or a Kangaroo rat will eat the wiring off her car...

B)
  • Options
    In the south it's cotton mouths and copperheads. You can't win!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Don't forget the fire ants and chiggers. (We won't mention centipedes and scorpions, lol).

Was able to get down the hill and drive a bit between 1 and 5 pm. Gonna be messy overnight but hopefully the clouds will keep the heat in a bit and melt the roads early.
  • Options
    stever said:

Don't forget the fire ants and chiggers. (We won't mention centipedes and scorpions, lol).

Was able to get down the hill and drive a bit between 1 and 5 pm. Gonna be messy overnight but hopefully the clouds will keep the heat in a bit and melt the roads early.

Chiggers.. ugh..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Road trip!(s)

Reminds me of Koyaanisqatsi. Guess these must be all over YouTube with the GoPro cams everywhere.
  • Options
    Not mine - don't drive a Honda. :)