Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I had been wondering what happened to you.

Meade
  • Options
    And I wasn't even trying.

Meade
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The MSRP of the car was $18,545 with all the options. I paid nowhere near that. If you remember correctly (which apparently you do not), I bought my car under the S plan. I paid $255 below invoice for the car when I got it. Out the door it was like $17K I think.
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... is 18545 the only figure we ever hear from you, except under duress ;-)

Henceforth please clarify (in all the depreciation-loss posts) that you paid around 15K flat (before tax, tags, title, which is irrecoverable and should NOT be factored into a depreciation calculation!) and traded/sold it (in admittedly pretty poor condition, at least for a car that new) for around 11.500, to a dealer. CarMax is STILL a dealership - You can always get more in a sale to an individual! I think you got a GOOD deal!

All this, in the interest of NOT misleading lurkers and potential buyers on this board.

BTW, what's the status with the Jetta, haven't been following the boards lately. I'm assuming the dealership still has it, as you mentioned the Millenia loaner.
  • Options
    ... when you're going nuts over a couple of thou discrepancy in our discussion of the Millenia?

And you just said something else that proves you're nuts when it comes to how much you got for your Protege. If you only paid $17k and got $11,500 in trade, with all that mileage and damage, your Protege actually held just a hair shy of 68 percent of its value in the first year. That beats what your Jetta, the Civic and everything else is worth after TWO years, according to Larry's source.

Meade
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    The suspect is driving a white Jetta! Listen for rattles!

Dealers in the Northern Virginia area and as far south as Richmond are on the alert. Some Daewoo dealers are so frightened they have locked their doors and borded up the windows.

If he starts talking trade -- RUN!

fowler3
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Wait a sec....Unless I'm doing my calculations wrong, $11 500 is still like 62% of $18 545. On a car that had a broken windshield, scratched paint, etc, etc.????

Still seem pretty good to me. Of course you're NEVER going to get back what you paid for the car. That's impossible after close to a year of driving!!
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Ashu has valiantly picked up the battle over depreciation truth.

Carry on brave warrior.
  • Options
    I don't want another new car though, and don't plan to trade this one as I said like 1200 times before.
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Any tips on how to apply touch up paint to chips? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Paint chips suck. Go here my young Padawan...

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8592

• Options
    In all of his posts about unfair trade-in values and high depreciation, we failed to see the REAL philosophical premise behind Paul's reasoning. Now that we have had the opportunity to read about his cigarette lighters that aren't as hot as they used to be, neighbors who supposedly are scratching his paint at night and "God help them," dealers who can't seem to fix a rattle they've already located, magnetic bras that are supposed to fit but don't (remember THAT classic?), etcetera ad nauseum, I think we're all missing the main premise:

Paul's a member of the Entitlement Generation. The slogan of this generation: "What can I get out of everybody?"

Meade
  • Options
    "Entitlement Generation"? Never heard that expression before actually.

Oh yeah, speaking of the bra, I still have that in my trunk. I asked if anyone wanted it (it's cut to fit a 2001 Protege), but no one responded. I will give it, but need the shipping costs for it (like $5-10 in the US, I would assume). If anyone wants it, email me about it.
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I never represent my pair of 2000 Mazda PRO-ES's as $17,000 cars. The cash price was $15,217.95 and MSRP was $17,420. Paul, why do you always quote the MSRP of your old 2001 PRO-ES to post your opinions on Mazda depreciation. You never paid MSRP on any car you ever purchased?

I checked Edmunds.coms TMV Used Vehicle Appraiser, (which BTW the car professionals here at Town Hall agree does the best job at accurately estimating the value of used cars). The True Market Value on a clean 2000 PRO-ES with my miles, color and optional equipment Dealer Retails for $12,093 or $13,043 if Mazda Certified. Trade in Value is predicted at $8,814. Private Party is suggested at a $10,463 buy.

So lets see,... I paided $15,218, 30 months ago and if I sold it thru the local newspaper or AutoTrader, I would prolly accept an offer of say $10,250 or so. That is real life depreciation of less then 33%. you could also look at it this way, my car has held over 67% of it's original value. I'll take it, with a big smile! ;-}

-old head
  • Options
    Wait a sec....what age group do you define to be in the Entitlement Generation??

I'm 24...born in 1977. Does that make me a part of that generation? If so, what does that mean? Am I trying to trying to "get what I can out of everybody?"

I'd hate for you guys to think that. I like to think I'm a valuable, contributing memeber to society. I live by the Golden Rule and I like to think that other people do as well.

I've worked dang hard for what I've got. Good job, new Protege, new house, great girlfriend. I never EXPECTED these things. I worked for them and in turn got them.
  • Options
    I'm not stupid either. (Stupid is as stupid does, ma'am.) When I totaled my 1992 LX at 10 months AND 28,000 MILES -- how's that for high mileage in a less-than-one-year-old car -- my insurance company actually gave me enough to be able to put down $1,000 and use the insurance check to pay off the old loan. My payment stayed virtually the same -- within 10 bucks of what I was paying for the first '92.

That's why we're on Proteges 3 and 4. Life may be like a box of chocolates -- but so far, with the Protege, I always know what I'm gonna get.

Meade
  • Options
    The Entitlement Generation is centered around only one spot on the globe: Baltimore, Maryland.

Meade
  • Options
    I'm a valuable, contributing memeber to society...
    by protege_fan

Michael, I guess the 3 years in the Alberta Juvenile Hall Detention Center was good for you? ;-) lol!!!

-love train
  • Options
    I've never seen you hang around into the afternoon like this. Sheesh, lately you're gone for two weeks, and then you make 20 posts in a row one day! What gives, man? Home with food poisoning? Too much sausage gravy on your biscuits this morning causing a little unwanted flatulence and they had to send you home? What gives, man, what GIVES?

Meade
  • Options
    Har har har...Joker.

For the record, I've NEVER been in to juvey hall. :P
  • Options
    rbrooks3rbrooks3 Member Posts: 174
    Just read the posts from today. Geez, with the lack o' da love here today, perhaps I should consider trading my Pro in on a Saturn. After all, nuttin' but love there AND a yearly picnic to boot! :)

Ron B.

Pro content: If the physical therapy works out and my knee doesn't lock, as a gift to myself this christmas I'm thinking of getting the sport exhaust.
  • Options
    Ewww, I like have this picture of what you said in that post. :)
  • Options
    I hope your therapy does work out. I know it's not easy sometimes, because I went through it for 7 months for a back injury received in a car accident. Good luck with it though. And you definitely deserve the exhaust, so get it anyway! :)
  • Options
    WE gotcha TWICE-ANNUAL picnics here, and WE have 'em REGIONALLY so everyone don't hafta drive ta TEN-UH-SEA!!!

Meade
  • Options
    If you make another comment about the GREAT food at Cracker Barrel, I'm gonna drive to Richmond and give you a "turnip green biscuit" sandwich right in the kisser....

-love handles
  • Options
    I didn't know you worked for Cracker Barrel. For some reason, I thought you still worked for TGIF. I never have been to Cracker Barrel, because the only one I know in MD is like a 45-minute drive from home. So I have never been. I hear the food is pretty good though.
  • Options
    Jerry has not plugged this in a while...

If you are in or around Southern California make plans to be at So Cal Protege Meet on June 29th just a stones throw from Edmunds home office.

Go here for details!

• Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Next time, I recommend a bigger font for that link. Don't want anyone to miss it.
  • Options
    Keep up! Where you been? He's been with Cracker Barrel for what -- two months now, Larry? That's why he's been so absent on the discussion, spending time in Nashville, etc.

Meade
  • Options
    "Turnip Green Biscuit?!" Now THAT sounds like a flatulence-inducing delicacy!!! Can I have extra pork 'n beans and a side of cabbage with that?

Meade

P.S. "In the kisser?" Where else would you put a sandwich, you big goof?
  • Options
    I've been trying to reach her today and she doesn't answer her e-mails.

Meade
  • Options
    I don't think he meant THAT kisser. :)
  • Options
    I emailed her as well, like 4 hours ago. No answer yet.
  • Options
    I only kiss with one part of my anatomy.

Meade
  • Options
    You mean to tell me you're off today, a nice, warm late spring day (summer begins Friday, everyone) -- and you're NOT out in the driveway with your babies?

What gives, I ask you yet again ... WHAT GIVES???

Turnip Greens in my Teeth
  • Options
    If I have to explain it, then it doesn't matter anymore.
  • Options
    Sorry Darren

Is THIS better?

• Options
    between "THIS" and "better."

Meade
  • Options
  • Options
    Am I gonna hafta white-post you a smart reply? Be good, fella!

Meade
  • Options
    THAT oughta win us a No. 1 Town Hall ranking tomorrow!

Meade
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Heh, you'll be lucky if it doesn't earn you a Read Only tag! ;->

Hey folks, chill, please. Some people really might like to look for some Protege related information here.

The opinions about the errors of Paul's ways and Entitlement Generation etc. really need to be taken out of the Town Hall.

Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    If anywhere, this belongs in the posse board. :)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I forgot all about that discussion.

Beating up on Paul doesn't belong at all, but yes, please take the other off-topic stuff to the Posse party. In case anyone needs directions, just follow the link to the Owners Club at the top of this page.

:)
  • Options
    OK Pat, fair enough. Besides, Paul's "discovered" our more "private" whippin' post over on Yahoo. (I put "discovered" in quotes since he's been a member of that group for five months; just hasn't bothered to check in in half that time!) So we'll continue the whippin' over there. We now return this discussion to the Mazda Protege, already depreciating ...

;-)

Meade

P.S. "Get 'em Pat?" TEACHER'S PET! TEACHER'S PET! ;-)
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    yeah rite!

Just wanted to see how everyone is doing. I see all's good.

Later,
    Dinu
  • Options
    Does anyone think the Mazdaspeed3 will be worth paying $22,000?

I personally think that will be a turn off in the eyes of the press, but what do you think?

If you had that to spend on a car, would you consider the MS3?
  • Options
    That brings the MS3 REAL close to WRX range. Sorry, but 227 hp, AWD...gotta go with the WRX.

I think the media will like the car, BUT price will be the lone sticking point.

Honestly, look at what the car reviewers say about the Protege (specifically the MP3). It's always something like, "great car...just needs power." Ok...so Mazda is adding a turbo bringing it up to 170 hp.

BUT in doing so, they're going to have to drive the price point up. Good for power, bad for price. However, most comparisons that I've seen the MP3 in are for cars under $25k. Maybe they won't care so much after all?
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    the price will make it aim right at the (ready?) the 1.8T Jetta :0!!!!

though the SpecV would a bigger bargain compared to the MS Pro (as will the SVT Focus), but I have a feeling the MS Pro will be a track-worthy sport compact right off the showroom floor. How much is that worth?
  • Options
    kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    I hope the next Protege comes in this great gold-brown colour!!! This is "Goldie," the latest addition to the City of Miami Beach fleet. Usually our cars are white, but the leasing company decided to surprise us with this gem.