Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kyotekyote Member Posts: 28
    sunscreen,
    Interesting. Best price I have for EX coupe auto including destination but no tax or fees, just car and destination, is $18,600. Did say they will throw in tint. In Houston.
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Well with the navigation system, the display for the stereo is far superior to the cheap looking LED display on the standard system. It includes XM built in as opposed to the regular EX which is just XM ready. One really gets the benefit if they're subscribing to XM and song titles and artists are nicely displayed as opposing to watching letters scroll by. Plus it also comes with a digital card reader which is my favorite way to take music with me. I can download music onto a card and just pop it in.

Granted it's pricey for many, but it's still a nice upgrade and it will add resale value for the car.

As for the extended warranty, it was a no brainer for me. Warranties start at $605 for a 5 year/100K and it includes free road side service and free car rental if a repair takes a few days. Furthermore, if I'm away from home and a warranty repair is needed, they'll give me $100 per day for food and lodging.

Obviously it's possible that I won't get the full value back due to Honda quality. But to me, it's cheap peace of mind. And it just takes one major malfunction and you could be over $600 in repair costs just like that.

It's because of Honda's quality, that they're able to sell a 8 year/120,000 mile warranty with no deductible for $890. Let me know the name of any domestic car company that can come close to that deal, and I'll consider buying from them the next time.
  • Options
    editor2editor2 Member Posts: 64
    Sensible. Sounds like those are the right choices for you, and that's why these products are available. I've owned Hondas and Toyotas my entire adult life (35+ years of owning cars) and never found the need for either of these amenities. As they say, to each her/his own. :)
  • Options
    duddud Member Posts: 91
    sunscreen,

I cannot help with warranties. I live in Florida and I am not allowed (by state law) to purchase warranties out-of-state.

As for dealerships ... I emailed Hershon's in Rockville (my son lives there - I was going to visit, buy a car and drive it home). They gave me the lowest quote on an LX but it was not enough to justify not buying it near home.
  • Options
    civicowner2007civicowner2007 Member Posts: 1
    I got great advice from this forum and hoped to add a little to the knowledge base:

No accessories
    Invoice: $16,349

Vehicle: 15,865
    Freight: 595
    Dealer Processing: 100
    Tax(MD 5%): 828
    Tags: 211
    OTR: 17,599
    Random: free lifetime car washes...

Worked with Dustin Paugh and Sales Manager, Bob Rickert. Both were great to work with and very helpful. They were looking to close the deal soon but were not too pushy and still worked with us with full effort even when we told them that we would not close today.

We ended up going back this evening. I called in advance and Dustin actually came back to the dealership although he had gone home only an hour before.

Other dealerships that we looked for bids to beat this:
    Criswell
    College Park - dismissed Norris' offer as fake. Claimed that Norris was just using it to lure us back to their dealership.
    Fairfax
  • Options
    smd68smd68 Member Posts: 2
    I'd thought I would post the exact amounts.
    Civic Sedan 4DR SDN LX MT
    Price of Car: 15,610
    Conveyance fee: 269.00
    License and Title: 100.00
    Sales Tax: 6%: 928.74
    Total Cash Price: 16,907.74
  • Options
    smd,

I paid that same price for the car but your total OTD cost was almost $500 less because you tag/title is half mine and your dealer fee is slightly less than half.

You've gotten the best deal on this car of anyone onthis board so far (that I have seen).

Congrats ...
  • Options
    bf04bf04 Member Posts: 6
    I spoke to Allen from the internet department and was a good experience. We did the price and everything before I got their. I left 2hrs later in my new car, did not try anything funny like changing price or car. Was very good.

07 SI 4dr OTD 22300 - Base 20600.

I did the break down in an eariler post.
  • Options
    rbrad909rbrad909 Member Posts: 3
    Civicowner2007,

Your experience was nearly identical to mine. I got a great offer from Norris, and then I wasted my time with College Park...they lured me in and then turned everything around saying the other offer was a hoax. I bought from Norris, similar numbers just a little less cuz it was a AT coupe instead. Both good deals in my book.
  • Options
    bruinftbruinft Member Posts: 8
    I got this quote for a Civic SI Sedan w/ navi in Los Angeles, CA:
    $21,990

That includes destination, but doesn't include tax, DMV or other accessories.

It's lower then Edmunds's TMV price by about $400. Any thoughts on this?
  • Options
    wearssunscreenwearssunscreen Member Posts: 6
    it it wise to buy a warranty if you will keep car a long time. I am aware of Saccucci.com and Bernardi Honda less expensive than local dealer warranties
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Not sure how they can do that on all those different models, makes me wonder what the processing fees and appearance package would end up costing.
  • Options
    You received a VERY inexpensive (for the dealer) and effective marketing ploy to get you to consider their dealership.

"CIVICS UP TO $2843 OFF*"

Look at this statement. "Up to $2843 off" means that $2843 is the maximum you can get off ... but off what? The MSRP? I love the "up to ..." which really means "less than". The clincher in this statement is the little "*" at the end, letting you know that the price DOES NOT include up to five different additional costs, most of which are valid (taxes, destination, tags). The processing fees and "appearance package" are great ways for the dealer to "getcha" in the final price.
  • Options
    gtahlgtahl Member Posts: 11
    When I was buying at June end , I did negotiate with this dealer . They have installed their so-called "Appearance Package" on each civic which they charge for $499 and their processing charge is $299

So I think you may be looking at these fees :-

Taxes - depending upon state
    Appearance package - $499
    Processing - $299
    Tags & Title - Depending upon state (they were charging $65 for me in VA)

I was actually able to negotiate $17300 OTD (VA registration)_ from them for Civic LT AT 4 door at around end of June. I am sure this time they may be wiling to go lower than that .
  • Options
    gtahl,

You claimed to have gotten $16,847 OTD when you posted in early July. I found that hard to believe...so is this now the correct info?

[quote copied here:}

5620 of 5852 Re: LX 4Door Auto in MD [dud] by gtahl Jul 11, 2007 (10:19 am)
    Bookmark | Reply
    Replying to: dud (Jul 10, 2007 3:07 pm)
    Hi dud,

Here you go:

MSRP : 17760 + Destination :595

Sale Price : 15585
    Destination : 595
    Tax (3%) : 467.55
    Dealer Processing : 100
    Title/Tags : 100

Total OTD : 16847.55

I basically negotiated for OTD price from the start since I knew Taxes/Tags for my state . My goal was 16500 OTD but this was the lowest I was able to get ...]--
    :confuse:
  • Options
    forbesjforbesj Member Posts: 22
    Nothing amazing, but paid a couple hundred under Edmunds TMV. Got an 07 Si Sedan for 20,5xx out the door at Atamian in Tewksbury MA. No sales tax for me as I'm in NH. I went in with the Costco buyers program, and then they tried to charge a documentation fee. I refused the deal as it was with the doc fee; they refused to change the doc fee but dropped the selling price of the car instead. Came out to $500 over invoice. A satisfactory, if not spectacular deal. I paid $100 more than I expected to, which isn't a big deal, I'm no grinder.
  • Options
    mischief316mischief316 Member Posts: 3
    wow really? What dealer is this? I stay in los angeles and looking for a cheap si too. :confuse:
  • Options
    mischief316mischief316 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone.

Well as i was doing a bit of shopping around. I ran across a small dealer who is offering a used honda si 2006 for $14k. Yeah sounds weird right? Well the catch is that the car is a salvage. Yup. But the car look like new. No noticeable damage the paint and everything matches together. According to the guy it was rebuilt only from the front. That no real damage was done to the outside.

It looked great to my eye. I checked the rims and tires and they are the originals because they show some tare and ware. But not enough to notice a big accident. The bottom of the car is intact, but there is some residue of what looks like cement. The guy said it was the spill from the battery because it leek. That made me kind of nervous. Inside the hood everything seemed normal. No major discrepancies. He said he changed a couple of things on the car but nothing major. He said that the car was only damage from the front.

Well the car seemed nice and fit to me. The price is good and it can probably be lowered. I plan to keep the car for a long time. Is it worth is? How can i check if the car was severely damge? I tried carfax but it does not go into any specifics.
    (http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailReport.do?a=p7qiXw1fXsXVl1UReDEsYLHd+v88CJr9kc- Cv7NNWuAtIcX5x2qyApnxkrGrCZjrf)
    i hope the link works.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have pics that i will post.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,316
    I always recommend staying away from vehicles with a salvage title.

Try posting your question here: Pricing used vehicles involved in accidents/reconditioned

You'll get a little more exposure and general advice about purchasing salvaged vehicles.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    It looked great to my eye. I checked the rims and tires and they are the originals because they show some tare and ware. But not enough to notice a big accident. The bottom of the car is intact, but there is some residue of what looks like cement.

Run, run away very fast and don't look back!
    If you want to see some crash tests done with cars that were repaired improperly then I will post the links.
    You will not like what you see.
    Salvage usually means the car was totaled and someone bought it for scrap, although in some cases it could be flood damage.
    In some States they aren't even allowed to repair it or so I'm told.
  • Options
    hokiecarhokiecar Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I received quotes from 4 local dealerships (Northern Virginia) for a Civic LX MT Coupe, and the best was the following:

MSRP: 17355
    Invoice: 15448

Base: 15148
    Freight: 595
    Proc. Fee: 289
    VA Tags: 39.50
    VA Tax: 513
    OTD: 16547.50

Would it be reasonable to attempt to negotiate 16000 OTD (or lower :D )? First-time car buyer fresh out of college, trying to get a good deal (but not be laughed out of the dealership in my attempts). I'm looking to get the car before mid-September; waiting until then is no problem. Any input is appreciated.
  • Options
    The dealer is already $300 below invoice, is that what you're saying with "invoice" and "base"? Gee, that sounds good. I strongly doubt you would be able to hit as low as $16000 OTD. Maybe, maybe, they'd take another $200 off, given that it's a manual. Hopefully others here will share their experience.

As such a young car buyer, are you set up in advance with your purchasing arrangement? That is, do you have a line of credit already in place with a good lender, or are you depending on Honda? Maybe you're a cash buyer. But if you're borrowing, you may have a kind of expensive finance rate offered to you (probably anywhere, if you don't have much credit history). Just a thought...shop rates too if you're financing, before you seal the deal. :)
  • Options
    gtahlgtahl Member Posts: 11
    editor2.

Yes this is correct I got the car from Jon Coleman Honda for 16847 OTD . I was however able to negotiate good pricing from other dealers including Landmark honda for 17300 OTD . But in the end bought from Jim Coleman for $500 less.

In the earlier post I was merely saying that I was able to negotiate price of 17300 OTD from Landmark honda , they didn't go much lower than that.
  • Options
    craigblitzcraigblitz Member Posts: 20
    Ok, Obviously I am trying to get the best price possible on a new car and I would like to get some tips on my net steps in the process.

Edmunds Invoice for my area (Pittsburgh) 16,349
    Destination = 595
    Area Tax = 7 %

I have followed the advice and I am getting OTD quotes from many dealers (about 10) as possible

Here is what I have received (OTD)

From what I have been reading I should be able to get the car at Invoice + Destination Fee + Tax + Registration Fees.. Is this correct?

If that is the case my OTD should be 18,259

My questions:
    - Do I contact the other dealers and show them my best offers and see if they can match/beat it.

- Should my goal price be 18,259 or do you think I can lower

- As far as timing I would like to get this done on Friday, but I think it could be possible for me to get a better deal on the 24th or 31st. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help
  • Options
    Craig,

I think you jumped the gun a bit too early. I would have waited a few weeks and requested quotes on/about the 28th or so. Dealers are scrambling to meet their quotas at the end of the month/quarter.

As for your price ... your quotes are fairly consistant but I too think they are high. All you need to get it 1 -2 low (reasonable) quotes and you are golden. Based upon my experience I would look at a "target" price of $18,000 to $18,400 for that car. I have a question: Are there any associated "dealer" fees (processing) that the dealers charge in your area? I had to pay a $600 fee but I was able to negate that by getting the car way under invoice.

Consider some damage control here. Do nothing. Wait for the dealers to contact you, asking if you are ready to buy. Tell them you thought you were but that something had "come up" and you have had to put off your purchase. Tell them that you will contact them by the end of the month to "confirm" their quotes. Also remind them that you are getting quotes from many other dealers. Then, during the last week of August go at it again (with the quotes).

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks Dud for the Reply. No there is no 600.00 fee in my area. I just received my low quote (so far) of 18231.27OTD (16,971 before tax and title). I am going to hold off and not get anymore quotes until closer to the EOM, but is amazing how just seeing the difference in prices just from getting some quotes. It truly does pay to do some research.
  • Options
    hokiecarhokiecar Member Posts: 2
    Hey editor2,
    Yes, the dealer gave me their invoice price, and offered the car 300 below. As for financing, my parents have agreed to co-sign a new car loan (from navy FCU) with me as the primary borrower, so I'm hoping their good credit will help me get the lowest APR they offer (5.29% for 60-72 months) and build credit in my name at the same time. I'll be applying for the loan prior to going to the dealership so I'll hopefully have all that in order. Do you think waiting until the end of August will help them offer a lower price? 16,500 seemed like a pretty good price as it is, but getting it for even less is never a bad thing :) . Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    ggsanggsan Member Posts: 10
    Try $18000 OTD. I got one for 7.75% tax. My experience is that it is easy to get $18300-$18400 OTD price, that is based on the invoice price.
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what's the best way to get a quote on a trade-in?

Should you get the quote on the new car first from the different dealers and then once you have the lowest OTD prices see what they'll give in trade?

Or should you let them know what your trade-in up front and see who has the lowest overall price based on that?
  • Options
    dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    First, make certain that you understand the value of your car before you ask for a trade value. Sites like kbb.com and edmunds will give you estimates for your trade or what you may be able to get should you try to sell it privately.

Get a purchase price before you mention a trade. I suggest that you contact several dealers and do so via the Internet or on phone. If you mention a trade prior to getting the selling price, you are open to a shell game where the dealer may offer you more for your trade, but they do so be charging your more for the new car. Good luck!
  • Options
    amethisteamethiste Member Posts: 28
    I live in Baltimore, MD and got an internet quote from the Baltimore dealership of 17,599 +Tax, tags, freight, dealer installed options and $98 processing fee. I got another quote from Silver Spring for $17,604 + tax,tags,destination charge & $49 processing fee. Clarksville, MD quoted Your Internet price is ONLY $17,754 + Destination, fees and dealer options if any are additional. Prices include any dealer cash
    Is it possible to get better prices than these if I wait until later in the month or is $17,5999 the best I'm going to get? Should I consider the extended warrantee
    Thanks
  • Options
    You need to say what model and trim level you're trying to buy. There's no other way to judge the quotes you're getting. Post whether it's LX? EX? 4 dr? 2 dr? Coupe? Manual? Automatic?
  • Options
    Whoops! A 2007 Civic EX sedan :blush:
  • Options
    amiramir Member Posts: 115
    hi.i want to know if i can get civic lx auto for 15k+tax or ex auto for 17k+tax in los angeles area.i know its way below invoice but since its a model year end.?
  • Options
    Wow that is really low bro. I wish you the best, but I doubt you get that good of a deal.

I have several quotes now and out the door prices range from 18,200 - 19060. I am going to talk to talk to the top 3 choices and see if we can get to 18,000 OTD. I was going to take dud advice and wait till end of month but my wives schedule and mine do not mix for another 6 weeks... If we can't get the deal we want we will wait :-).

So from your experience is it better to say 18k over email or via the phone. In email you have something in writing.

Also if anyone has any advice on getting the most/fair value for a trade in please let me know..

Thanks everyone, this site has saved me a ton already.
  • Options
    An EX sedan what? Are you looking for a MT or AT? The price difference is $700.

By the way ... request a quote from Hershon's in Rockville. Their quote was the lowest I received and yes, wait to request your quotes until the last week of this month. I have a feeling that this month is going to present smart car buyers with their best opportunity to buy an '07 before the '08s hit the lots.
  • Options
    Update - I am walking through my steps in negotiating in case it will help others either learn from my accomplishments or learn from my mistakes :-)...

I received 10 quotes and have begun working with the 3 that had the best. I emailed the other 7 and thanked them for their quotes and sent them my worksheet with dealer information and quote. I figured it might be helpful for them in the future, and they might reply and try to beat the offer. If not it is something I could share in exchange their time calling me and emailing me. You would be surprised the number of people who did not bother writing back, or just sent me an ad.

Anyway, I am still shooting for an OTD of 18,000 (7% Sales in my area). Wish me luck!
  • Options
    A Civic EX Sedan AT. :blush::blush:
  • Options
    samathasamatha Member Posts: 2
    Hi- new to the site- and a new Civic owner. Shopped several dealers in Maryland. Read a lot of blogs. Thanks for the tips. Got my Civic LX sedan from Odonnell for $16,719 plus taxes and tags. The destination & dealer fee was included. Most importantly the car didnt have all of those dealers installed options "if any". Most of the bids I got had that note and I found out the hard way, everyone seems to add them. The get you in with the low price but once they add them in the quote is more. I appriecated the staight foward approach.
  • Options
    Hi Samatha -

Was your vehicle AT or MT?
  • Options
    samathasamatha Member Posts: 2
    it was an automatic
  • Options
    carless_in_svacarless_in_sva Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I live in Sunnyvale, CA, and I'm shopping for a Civic LX AT Sedan. I noticed some folks are getting free oil changes, lifetime free car wash, etc., in their deals. I myself was offered $500 gift certificate (to shop online. I have no idea what that is.) in an Internet quote from a dealer. I just wonder, can we always negotiate all these things? Or some dealership are willing to provide these, but some are not?

BTW, is there anybody around this area who got a civic LX recently? How was your deal?
  • Options
    BTW, the lowest quote I received around Sunnyvale, CA is 16586 plus fees. I don't know if it's realistic but I'm hoping for around 16000+fees because I also got a quote from a dealer in North Hollywood at $16500 but with $500 online shopping gift certificate (yes, I also thought about buying in LA). Any ideas?
  • Options
    I also wonder how should we evaluate these extra stuff in $. An oil change is like $25 (I guess), but how much is this free lifetime car wash worth?
  • Options
    thephilosopherthephilosopher Member Posts: 6
    I'm new to this post, but I've appreciated the info. I'm going to buy a 2007 Civic LX AT 4dr in the next few days in the Memphis area. I'm currently working with dealers by email and phone. So far I've gotten 18,800 OTD from one. The others are still in process. How low should I expect them to go with sales tax 8-9%?

Also - is the Honda factory holdback 2% or 3% base MSRP? I've had at least one dealer indicate that it's 2%. But the Edmunds site says 3%.

Any help? Thanks much!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,316
    Edmunds is in the process of updating the holdback page...

I'm pretty sure that Honda holdback is now 2%.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thephilosopherthephilosopher Member Posts: 6
    Many thanks, kyfdx!
  • Options
    abcd2007abcd2007 Member Posts: 2
    Any one bought 2007 honda civic LX 4 dr Automatic sedan in Dallas area recently? If yes, at what price? Best quote we have so far is 17800 plus 6.25% taxes and title fee of $200.

Can someone suggest what we should quote to the dealer. Should we quote invoice price or less than that.

Is it better to wait for aug end to buy a new car?

thanks
  • Options
    cricfan777cricfan777 Member Posts: 20
    I am in the process of buying the Civic 4dr AT for $18,450 OTD + 7 yr power train warranty for free from Landers Honda, Pine Bluff, AR. For the first 5 yrs,60,000 miles there is $0 deductible and for the next 2 yrs, 40,0000, they have a $200 deductible. The warranty is good at any Honda dealers. If you want more info, let me know.
  • Options
    jbrook10jbrook10 Member Posts: 7
    Here is the deal I got on my new civic (EX Sesdan AT - Galaxy Gray). Overall pretty happy. Hope this helps someone trying to determine a price to beat. :)

Base + Destination: 18,350
    Licence and Title: 80
    Document Fee 58
    Some random other fee 25
    Tax 6.5% 1,198
    ---------------------------
    Total OTD 19,711