Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    frecklesisdadsfrecklesisdads Member Posts: 3
    Cazz, Yes I kept the Toyota in great shape mechanicaly and good shape inside. I live two miles off the main road which are gravel, so the car has a few rock chips and pretty dusty on the inside, but motor is like new since the 98,000 miles on my 04 are ALL hgwy. miles. I live in the country here in Mo. Yes I guess I just wanted a change. My Toyota has performed flawlessly the past few years. I hope my Hyundai does as well as my Toyota. I STILL have my Toyota. I'm going to sell it privatly so I will get p.p.v. and not wholesale from the dealer which that is what he offered.
  • Options
    socalflyersocalflyer Member Posts: 13
    Thinking about an se silver no options msrp 17.6 i was offered $14000.00 plus tax and license in so cal any opinions??
  • Options
    caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    yes...i live in Socal...i just bought an SE...Saturday..yes...4 days ago....paid 13,285.oo Se automatic...no other options....( lol it comes loaded except leather)..plus tax...1188.00..no other adds...just 13,285 plus 1188.00 tax
  • Options
    I guess i will hold out for a little more can I ask what dealer gave u this price thanks
  • Options
    i bought it from Hyundai of Costa Mesa right on Harbor Blvd...Just south of the 405
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    You should try internet pricing.

This is often where you'll get the best prices. Go to dealer websites within an area you are will to travel to. Then see if they have internet pricing. If you see what you like, price wise, call them to verify price and color availability.

Walking into a dealership and starting a price discussion MAY be a major reason you are getting high quotes.
  • Options
    charlatainscharlatains Member Posts: 16
    Thanks phmr59......
    quote of phmr59;
    You should try internet pricing.
    This is often where you'll get the best prices. Go to dealer websites within an area you are will to travel to. Then see if they have internet pricing. If you see what you like, price wise, call them to verify price and color availability.
    Walking into a dealership and starting a price discussion MAY be a major reason you are getting high quotes. Unquote

Yeah thanks, phmr59.
    You may notice from earlier posts, I never walk in and start trying to work a deal. Every one of my inquiries has been initiated via internet and I wouldn't even consider any thing other than an off-site initiation. But thanks anyway and sorry to mislead you.
  • Options
    Internet pricing has only netted a price of 14.3 for a SE elantra msrp of 17.5. The problem is only about half the dealers have any SE's, and according to sales people they never know when an SE will come, seems strange to me. I guess when the truck pulls up to the dealer that is when they find out about new stock. Anyone know when the 08's will be here.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I should have been clearer. I meant to say to see if they have internet pricing offers on their website, like Towne Hyundai does. This is an internet advertised price, not a responce to a specific inquiry, which is similar to a fax inquiry.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I guess we're talking past each other, maybe.

The Internet inquiry I make is the one you speak of. I don't know of any other, actually. Often, too, they have a coupon that they try to promote on their web-sites. Anyway, the inquiry I make is for the special internet pricing. I don't think I've seen any dealership online that didn't have such a program, actually.

Regards . . .
  • Options
    nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    "Internet pricing has only netted a price of 14.3 for a SE elantra msrp of 17.5"

ONLY?!!! the problem with sooo many of you on this board is that you expect rediculus prices. i'm really not sure what you expect, but what do you want, 7k as a sale price?
  • Options
    I'll give you a good price range..... 13,285 including shipping etc....+ my 1188 sales tax...14460 OTD..from that price on up to 15400 OTD is a good price range...Here in So cal we get 2,000 rebate...ive heard in other parts only 1,000.....which is why i have the thousand dollar spread. Mine is an SE automatic..no leather.no sunroof...but yes with mats. p.s. my MSRP was 17,380...so i got 4,095.00 off sticker...Hope that helps.....Caaz
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    ... we could get some actual prices paid and buying experience information?

That is the topic of the discussion.. Plenty of forums here on CarSpace to discuss general buying strategies.

Any further posts that are off-topic will be deleted, as many have been already.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    yanjiyanji Member Posts: 3
    This is from Austin, TX. I Bought my elantra today. black (ext) + beige (int). GLS with PR package and sunroof. MSRP 17,765, Invoice 17,088. Final price: 14,900 + TTL (including 1k hyundai rebate, 500 financing rebate, 400 graduation rebate) without my trade-in.

I also trade-in my 99 mazda 626 (95k miles). It was rear-ended and is in poor shape. I was offered 1k in another Hyundai dealer, 1,500 in Nissan, 500 from Mazda and 250 from Carmax. I figured that this number varies and depends on the price of the new car. This dealer gave me 1k which is fair.

The dealer is also going to do window tint for free (on top of the original hyundai tint which won't work in Texas). The internet sales person was very friendly and didn't play any tricks with me. He showed me a set of number which I don't like. I explained him why I think this number is too high. The second number he got from the manager is what I paid for.

It is not a perfect deal but I am happy and willing to let the dealer make some money. Thank you all for your information which convinces me not to pay 18.9k for a mazda3 i touring auto with the abs/side airbags package. :shades:
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Which dealership did you purchase from?
  • Options
    yanjiyanji Member Posts: 3
    It's Classic Hyundai at Round Rock.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Posts about other members, posts about car buying in general... and any responses.. and other drivel..

HAVE BEEN DELETED

Thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The dealer didnt show me the Sonata, nor did he show me the Azera, which surprised me, he was courteous, but basically asked me what i came to buy, and after reading what buyers here in the MPG & Buying Experience had to say, i was fairly convinced i wanted an Elantra...Since i travel weekly to and from Phoenix & So Cal..i figured i needed the additional economy the Elantra offered, however i'm not so happy with my city mileage as i am with the highway mileage... I brought a trade...a 97 Saturn in mint condition, with a 4850.00 retail value.....3600.00 PV value.. And a 2650 Trade in Value..they offered me 500.00...lol their only way to compensate for the too good of price they sold me the car for at 13285.00
  • Options
    joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Wish I could have bought that Saturn for my daughter. What did you end up doing with it? I hope you did not trade it for $500 credit.
    I think the 4 cyl Sonata has EPA highway mpg of 34 or so against the Elantra's 36? Is that what you remember?
  • Options
    My first (and worst) new Elantra purchase:
    MSRP $12,648
    Paid $ 9,988
    No trade.
    Buying experience good.
  • Options
    I am in so cal and bought a 07 elanta se for $13,900. (including the $2000.00 rebate) It had an msrp of $17,580. Se's are hard to come by, everyone has gls 's but se's in a good color were hard to find. After calling more than a dozen dealers in so cal. I found 2 silver se elantras. The dealer let me walk on Saturday when I would not go above $13,700. On Sunday I called back and agreed to $13,900. I had no trade and paid cash. I just hope the rebate doesn't go up tomorrow, oh well. Thanks to this forum I saved some money.
  • Options
    Good deal!
    Great car!
  • Options
    that was a good deal, plus i think the rebate is almost over so you got in just in time. I was lucky finding my se.i preferrred white but settled for the champagne color. i grinded them and only did 600 different than ur deal...you did great...now enjoy the car and keep us posted in the MPG section on how you're doing
    caaz
  • Options
    I am amazed you did as well as you did. You must of had pictures of the sales manger that he did not want published or something??? LOL . We wanted white as well but none could be found in so-cal so we got silver, it looks good as well. Thanks for posting your price I would not of thought the cars can be bought so far below invoice.
  • Options
    Not my best, (or worst) new Elantra purchase:

MSRP $16,032
    Paid $10,216
    No trade.
    Buying experience good.
  • Options
    pinanepinane Member Posts: 1
    Does that mean one has to pay $1000 more after the rebate expired? Any suggestion on the price if purchase after 7/9?
  • Options
    The rebate will probably not expire at least for the gls. It may even get better. But one never noes for sure.
  • Options
    rosearlenerosearlene Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I was hoping to get some info on pricing a new Elantra SE s/premium package. I've been pretty good at the game (got a great deal in '04 on my Sedona and a great deal in '05 on a sonata); but since it's been a while since we bought I could use some refreshers. I have info on true invoice prices and used to work in dealerships (as did my husband), my sister was a fleet admin and knew wholesale costs. All of this info is 10+ old, so any help would be most appreciated.

First question - does anyone know the average difference between invoice and tissue price? I thought it was about $1K, but my sister says a couple of hundred at best. My goal for the Elanta would be to get an SE w/premium package for about 15K. All research and spreadsheets point to $16K (both prices mentioned above are after $1K rebate). Any opinions; help; suggestions?

The most important part to mention (to all of you NOT the dealer - lol) is that we don't have too much time for negotiations - my daughter totalled her car and needs one by month's end.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Rebates are the same on the Elantra through 7/31--$1000, $2000 in CA (didn't check all states however).
  • Options
    essa1essa1 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a quote for an Elantra GLS with premium package with the $1,000 rebate plus a remote starter included for $14,500 + tax and title. The SE was quoted at $15,175 the rebate is included + tax and title. This is in NYC. Does this price sound reasonable? I have decided on an Elantra after a few freinds have given it rave reviews and I am tired of paying $60.00 to fill-up my tank so I would like to get a nice 4-cylinder car.
  • Options
    islande393islande393 Member Posts: 7
    I think that if you comp shop a little bit more you should be able to find a little bit better deal (a few hundred bucks). I paid 14,800 + tax & title on an SE Auto just a few weeks ago, and I've seen a few better deals yet here on the board. I would think that you should be able to get a few hundred dollars lower
  • Options
    get the SE the wheels alone really help the look of the car not to mention. audio controls on the steering wheel. You will love both for a long and be happy you popped another 6 hundred bucks. I just bought an SE with a msrp of $17,600 for $15,900 before the rebate. Good Luck
  • Options
    brunojoebrunojoe Member Posts: 22
    I just negotiated a price of$15,000 out the door on an Elantra GLS auto with preferred package in silver with an apr of 6.99 through their bank. Let me know what you think asap please as I am buying tomorrow, Thanks bruno
  • Options
    nanotubenanotube Member Posts: 30
    bruno, this is okay if you are outside of CA and have only $1000 rebate. I bought one for $13770 OTD in California (see my previous post) and 6.5%. Price quotes came down below $13,000 very easily. In any case you should at least be able to knock down another a few hundred dollars.
  • Options
    Im in los angeles , that seems really low your price, no offense, that means your net price was around 11750 net before tax and license dont think i can get that price, was your a manual or auto and it was a preferred package as well?
  • Options
    Post the msrp and the price you paid before rebate and whether or not you had a trade otherwise it is apples and oranges PLEASE!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Like I said, please see my previous post #1930
  • Options
    You ended up with a 26% discount from MSRP. Good going!
    Anytime you can get a brand new car for more than 20% off MSRP it's a good deal for the buyer.
  • Options
    danken12danken12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm looking at a Elantra Limited with Sun and Sound package. MSRP is a little above 19,000 dollars. What would be a reasonable price to pay for the vehicle? Any help would be appreciated. I'm located in Kentucky.
  • Options
    plafkerplafker Member Posts: 2
    Was quoted an interner OTD price of $16,752 with $1000 rebate for the 2007 Elantra GLS with Preferred package 3. They claimed the rebate is taxable (NY). I got another quote of $15,000 plus tax and registration including the rebate. The dealer showed an invoice of $16, 200 on an MSRP of $16, 685. Do you think this is a good deal? It seems some of the prices on this forum people paid are much lower.
  • Options
    invoice of $16, 200 on an MSRP of $16, 685

Something is wrong with those numbers. Check them out.
  • Options
    Well Edmund invoice is $16,143, his is close.
  • Options
    invoice is $16,143,

then it must be his idea of MSRP that is wrong. Does anyone really think markup from invoice to MSRP is only $485 ?
  • Options
    quote of danken12:
    Hi, I'm looking at a Elantra Limited with Sun and Sound package. MSRP is a little above 19,000 dollars. What would be a reasonable price to pay for the vehicle? Any help would be appreciated. I'm located in Kentucky. Unquote.

This is a good one danken12. I've had two OTD quotes, with auto, in the 17's but they were for car colors I didn't want. But I've had others in the mid 18's with the dealerships swearing they will lose money for less. So, I say to those dealerships, not completely tongue-in-cheek, take a loss now and then if you have to.

There have been a number of better deals posted on here and a number elsewhere too........in low to mid 17's..... but I'm still lookin, still tryin. I'd pay 17.5, just to get it over with......but so far haven't found the car and the deal together in the same place. First choice for me is the dark Charcoal type Gray with gray leather. Second is white with tan leather. If you look through the history of postings on this thread you will find some reports of low to mid 17's, OTD, maybe even less. Lots of guys quote numbers but forget to say if they are out the door prices, so those don't help so much.

Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    Tried using Glendora Hyundai where one of us got a gls out the door for around 13600, used the same numbers when i called guy was nice said he couldnt do it for less than 15000 out the door, where do I go next?
  • Options
    bruno, yes I bought it for a negotiated price $12795, but keep in mind the OTD of $13700 is after another $400 college graduate rebate. So before this rebate the OTD would have been $14100.

Let me share my buying experience as I have benefited a lot from this forum before this and my purchases before. We have done a lot of online research before narrowing down on the elantra GLS auto w/preferred pkg.

Day 1: Went to closest dealer at 7pm, an hour before close so there's not a lot of people. We made it clear we just wanted to test drive. Checked out the car and it was as we expected.

Day 2: Early morning sent emails to ~10 dealers around town asking for price. By lunch time got a bunch of emails and voicemails. Only a few came back with a quote, others would say "we never talk about price over the phone, we'd prefer face-to-face blah blah".

Nonetheless called/emailed everyone with the lowest quote I got, asking if they can beat it, 'make a deal for me'. This time all the guys, even the "never talk price over the phone" ones turned serious and began giving me quotes.

When I got off work, I have gotten $12895 from dealer A over the phone. So I called A and another dealer B (Glendora Hyundai), which I knew had a huge stock of elantras from talking to their internet manager. I told them if they can beat this by $100 I'd drive over and take the deal. A had to ask manager and called back to say can't do. While B said yes.

So my wife and I happily drove over to Glendora. They have more than 20 elantras sitting on the lot, all still plastic wrapped. We spent some time before deciding on a carbon gray color. Went in and signed the paperwork for a price of $12795. I let them confirm the price before sitting down. We'd walk immediately if they don't keep their end of the deal. Turned out to be my most pleasant buying experinece, absolutely no trick at all. I especially love that the sales person brought us little gifts and five year free oil change AFTER we finished the deal.

Well, we are extremely satisfied with our deal. Almost too easy. Maybe the timing (end of June, near 7/4 holiday) helped, who knows.
  • Options
    So, let's see...

You paid $100 less than a competing dealer's asking price? That's pretty much the same as paying asking price.

It is good that you are "satisfied with our deal. Almost too easy... who knows..."

But if you are surprised how easy it was, consider it usually is easy when a shopper only asks for a $100 discount from some dealer's asking price.

You just don't get the best price possible over the phone or internet. If you are making your (low) offer in person, you have a much better chance of it being accepted.
    I wonder if any of those dealers would have sold it for $1000 less than you paid.

Point is, you never know unless you make the offer.

(You paid a good price, regardless. Congrats again!)
  • Options
    I was ready to fight but seeing dealer A gave up let me felt I've touched the bottom line. Dealer B actually hesitated for a moment before I assured him I'd take the car home TODAY if he could do this price.

All in all most important thing is that we are happy that we got a good price without spending too much time. And the car is just awesome. Couldn't believe getting such a loaded new car for $12k+tax when some of the 6 year old 100kmile imports sell for nearly $10k+tax here.
  • Options
    plafkerplafker Member Posts: 2
    What would be a fair price to pay in New York for a 2007 Elantra GLS with preferred package 3? There is a $1000 rebate. I was given quotes of $15,000 and 15, 300 plus taxes, title and and registration fees.
  • Options
    I believe what your saying concerning your buying experience however I have done pretty much all you did , and still am stuck with a price otd of 1490. 10 dealerships including Glendora Hyundai will go no lower, so I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do. I guess Ill take a few days to consider the options