Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G37 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    cacunetcacunet Member Posts: 25
    Nice, too bad no AWD. I want a Red G37X with Prem. So hard to find Red.
  • Options
    plumekussplumekuss Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know when the current styling/shape of the G37 is going to change? I think they redseign the car every 5 to 6 years and I believe its close to the end of the cycle. I am not sure between the Audi and the G37 but dont want to buy a car that has a new shape next year. Any ideas?
  • Options
    gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    ...more likely:

Sedan-out in late 2011 as 2012 model
    Coupe-out in late 2012 as 2013 model
  • Options
    afaaafaa Member Posts: 7
    I now find myself shopping across the country for the 09 G37x Red Prem to have it shipped to me. I've seen people mention that some dealers are offering up to $10k off MSRP. Is that even possible? Anyway, what would be a reasonable low ball offer of an 09 model? 8K off MSRP possible? I've been offered 7k off MSRP so I know that much is possible. Not sure about 8k. I figure shipping across the country would cost me about 1k to 1.4k. Still much better off than the local dealer.
  • Options
    g2369g2369 Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2010
    I know how you feel. I have also been searching across the country trying to find the car I want. I would suggest to first configure the car that you want on edmunds.com and find out the invoice on it. Then subtract any incentives currently available and that would be a good price point to be. That's just my .02.
  • Options
    infiniti427infiniti427 Member Posts: 33
    Since I have accsess to search all Infiniti dealers around the country... there are 14 Red 09 G37 Sedans w/ Premium Package left in the country. So not many as you've already figured out. If you look in the Northeast you will find most of them in that area. Hope that helps you in your search. As for how much off MSRP... $7K off is a really good price. I'd be shocked if a dealer took anymore than that off the price.
  • Options
    afaaafaa Member Posts: 7
    infiniti427,
    Thanks for the tip.
    One question on remote car buying. Is it ok to make the purchase remotely and have it shipped or do I need to fly there to do the paperwork and then ship it myself?
  • Options
    Once you've agreed on a deal you can have them overnight all the paperwork to you. As far as shipping I would definitely recommend you get that done on your own as you'll probably find a better deal then what the dealer will charge you to do it.
  • Options
    britishmuttbritishmutt Member Posts: 10
    Agreed. When I enquired at my local dealer - Infiniti of Marin (don't get me started) - they quoted me $1500 to have a car shipped from Chicago! :surprise:
  • Options
    sewellgsmsewellgsm Member Posts: 775
    LOL - thxs :D
  • Options
    bostbeansbostbeans Member Posts: 5
    I just recently purchased a 2010 g37x w premium package. First time infiniti owner. Unfortunately I found this site after I completed the deal. I just want to know if i got an honest lease deal.

Gross Cap Cost: 36,646.36
    cap cost reduct from out of pocket: 2650.17 + title reg fees doc fees, acq fee ect.
    resid value: 23,556.00
    Lease 39months 12k miles
    monthly payment: 400.00 including tax
    Out of pocket at signing: 3700.00 total included first month

any other information i can provide please let me know. thx for any input.
  • Options
    gatorlexus7gatorlexus7 Member Posts: 6
    OMG, did you get a case of KY with that?
  • Options
    seriously? I got F***** huh? This was only last week, is there anything i can do?

I will go back there today.
  • Options
    sam_ksam_k Member Posts: 202
    That's a lot of money out of pocket on a lease deal. If you read the edmunds.com leasing guide, you should always put zero money down. The reason is that when you lease you don't own the car so if the car is totalled or stolen, you don't get a single dime from your insurance company. They will pay off the legal owner who is the leasing company, not you. I rolled my bank fee and taxes into my lease so I ended up paying only my first payment and DMV fees at signing which came out to $700.

People can't evaluate your lease deal just by the monthly payment but judging by the fact that it's a nice round number tells me that you told the dealer that your monthly budget for car payment was $400 so he simply made the down payment (i.e. cap cost reduction) large enough to get the monthly payment down to $400. The edmunds.com lease guides will also tell you never to negotiate on monly payment. I can make an $80K Mercedes cost $400/month to lease with a large enough down payment. The only way people can evaluate your lease deal is if they know the MSRP (i.e. sticker price), negotiated price (i.e. gross cap cost) which appears to be $36.646.36, money factor, residual percentage and term which you said is 39 months. The only number in the lease deal that you can influence is the negotiated price (i.e. gross cap cost). If your gross cap cost is more than $1K over invoice price (i.e. dealer cost), then you probably didn't get a good deal. You can get the invoice price of your car with options right here on edmunds.com but you need to make sure you put in ALL the options to calculate it correctly. There were also dealer incentives which you should have known about in advance to help you negotiate with the dealer. Some apply to both leasing and purchasing and some only to purchasing.

If you follow this forum and the Infiniti G37 lease questions forum, you'll see that most people simply focus on the negotiated price of the car because that's the only number you can influence in the lease payment calculation. The other numbers in the calculation - MSRP, money factor, residual percentage, term and tax rate are fixed. You cannot negotiate to have them changes.
  • Options
    kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    You paid about $500-$1000 too much. It looks like you paid about $500 over invoice. With the $500 cash to dealer available right now on leases you should be able to get the car for invoice to $500 under invoice. It really depends on the competition in your area.

As previously stated that is a ridiculous amount of money to put down. You should NEVER put any cap cost reduction down, and your put $2650 down.

Sorry you are stuck with this deal for the next 39 months.

Hopefully this experience will teach you how to lease your next vehicle.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • Options
    Ok. Lesson learned. So basically I lost out on possibly a 1000 $ I have added up everything together for the 39 months and i am paying roughly 19500 for the term of the lease. That doesnt seem too off from what other poeple are paying for their leases that i saw on previous posts. I probably could have gotten the Nav package for what i paid. Other than that I love the car. So I didnt get royally F*cked. But i could have done better. Other than the fact about the money down and if i crashed the car, i guess i have to live with the lost 500 - 1000. I guess it could have been worse. Thanks for all the information. There is probably nothing i can do now, it has already been a week since i signed the deal.
  • Options
    Can someone recommend a few good auto transport carrier? The two that I know of are DAS and nationaltransportllc.com from google. I don't like to deal with auto shipping brokers.
    Thanks
  • Options
    jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    edited February 2010
    C' mon guys, give him a break. I think the deal he got is okay; not the best deal there is, which most of us seek by coming to this forum, but fair enough nonetheless.

It appears that he got himself a 2010 G37x sedan with premium package, trunk mat & net, and first aid kit, with a MSRP of $39,260 and invoice of $36,179. His cap cost $36,646 is $467 over invoice, or $967 over invoice considering the $500 dealer cash. The TMV for that car on Edmunds is $38,112 for SoCal -- one of the most competitive market in the nation. I know, I know, Edmunds TMV is always too high because it lags behind true market condition. Let's subtract $1,000 from there and another $500 for dealer cash, you get $36,612 -- basically what he paid. Again, not the best deal there is but fair.

And the good news is, in a lease situation, you only paid for the portion you use. For argument sake, let's say he over paid by $500 to $800 ($1,000 would be a strech). In the 39 months he would have used 40% (100% - 60% residual) of the car's value, so the impact really is just $200 to $320, if at all.

Now, plug in the above figures, his down pay of $2,650, MF of 0.00188, residual 60%, and 39-month term, I got a monthly payment of $375.90 before tax. Depending on the sales tax rate in his state, there seems to be little to no mark-up on the MF.

Of course, I totally agree that one should never put a down payment on a lease for the reason/risk cited. However, money-wise, it is a wash and may just be personal preferrance.

Considering that he went in without doing his homework, the salesperson/dealership could have taken him for a ride. Instead, they gave him a fair deal. On the other hand, he saved countless hours surfing forum to forum and dealership to dealership. As the saying goes, time is money.

So, bostbeans, relax and enjoy your new ride. I know it is a great car!
  • Options
    What was the MSRP and I will tell you - from a glance it looks fine to me.

PS What state do you live in? (tax purposes)
  • Options
    What dealer cash are you talking about? There is only Lease Loyalty Rebate on 2010 G sedan...is there something regional? :confuse:
  • Options
    My bad. The $500/special rate is for purchase only. I kind of followed the flow from another earlier post without checking again. Well, I guess that just made bostbeans' deal even better.
  • Options
    g2369g2369 Member Posts: 60
    Does anyone have the base money factor and residuals for a 2009 G37 convertible?

15K miles / 24 months
    and
    15k miles / 36 months

Thank you.
  • Options
    The MSRP on this particular vehicle was 39,260.00
    I live in massachusetts.

I just wanted a fair deal, and I am learning a lot about leasing on this website. This is really an informative website, I like it a lot. Thank you again for the information.
  • Options
    dashmdashm Member Posts: 9
    Bistbean, I don't see why some think you got a bad deal. I for one do not understand the worry that "you will be stuck with the car for three years"! What if you purchased the car? you would be stuck for much longer. When I add the numbers you will be paying in 39 months and compare OTD of 38k+ less the value of a 3-year old similar car, I see that you still got a good deal. Now, in the unlikely event of a car theft or earthquake, or head-on collision or what have you, you will have bigger fish to fry. My point: Not everything Edmunds says is written in stone and you should compare the total money you pay in 39 months with comparables. And congrats on your new car.
  • Options
    Bostbeans...

Don't listen to anyone who is telling you that the deal you got was terrible. I can assure you it wasn't. Bottom line is that you have a great car and are happy with it. Everyone in here is so concerned about what profit the dealer makes... please remember that us salesman have to make a living as well. I work in the Internet department so most of the deals I do are at the bare minimum. I get paid $150 commission if the profit is below $500. I don't get paid off holdback. All I'm saying is that the salesman proposed a fair deal and got paid a fair commission. That's ok you know. He or she has to make a living to.
  • Options
    gatorlexus7gatorlexus7 Member Posts: 6
    That's why you need the KY, not to get stuck to the deal. Did you think I meant something else? Shame on your inbred upbringings, you are too anal!
  • Options
    For those of you who haven't heard yet... The G37 Sedan was recently rated # 1 again for top Sports Sedan by consumer reports. Here is a portion of the article.

Winning its category of Sporty Sedan for the fourth year in a row, the Infiniti
    G37 is recognized by Consumer Reports as “… one of the highest-rated sedans we've tested, with a score of 95 out of 100. It provides an appealing combination
    of agile handling, blistering acceleration, a refined powertrain, a fairly
    comfortable ride, and a high-quality, luxurious interior.

There's some more evidence for all of you out there who are comparing the G Sedan to the BMW's 3-series and other competitors.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    bostbeans....you did fine. You're happy with the car, right? You got a good deal. More importantly, you're happy with the car and the deal.

What I've learned from being on these boards here at Edmunds is that you tell someone you paid a $5 for a car. Then, you'll find someone who says you paid too much, and that you could have bought it for $4, because they did (if you believe them).

Congrats on the new car.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    I finally found a deal on a car that I like. I think it's a enough deal to pull the trigger on an 09 G37x.

I still need to find a good auto shipper. Please, someone on here has got to have some good experience with auto shipping companies. I need a few names.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    cacunet...cograts on finding a G you like. Can't help you the shipping thing. I watch a lot of the Mecum Muscle Car Auctions on cable (HD Theater, I believe). They always advertise this place, though....

http://www.reliable-carriers.com/

Don't know if that helps.
  • Options
    Thank you very much. I am very happy with the car. The car is amazing. Perfect blend of comfort, sport, luxury and quality all wrapped in one. Before this I leased a Honda civic Si for next to nothing. Civics lease out really well and it served its purpose, but its not a g37x. I researched the g37 sedan and saw it had very high ratings / reviews. Other than that, I just wanted to confirm that i got a decent / fair deal on the purchase. I am willing to pay for the quality. I left the dealership feeling good about the deal. Then i found this forum and thought i had been taken for a ride. But after doing the math reading older posts I am paying just over 19,000 for 39m with 36000 miles. I am happy. I didnt really push to hard, I only went to 2 different dealerships. I got quoted a bottom line price from one dealership and then went to another asking if they could beat it. I admit, I could have done more homework. Buying or leasing a car is one of those things that can go horribly wrong (costly) if not handled properly. There is alot more about leasing i need to learn. Thanks for everyones input.
  • Options
    rll4rll4 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone receive good pricing on a 2010 G-37 sedan in Florida.
    It seems the Northeast coast has better pricing even with a higher cost of living.
    The Florida dealers really take advantage of the no doc. fee limits. Up to
    $900. It really is amusing.

Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. I'll give it a try. I got the Red 09 G37x MSRP $42130 for $34770+ttl. shipping kind of kills the deal at around $1100 to ship accross the country. Still better than the local dealer tho.
  • Options
    rll4,

$900 is a ridiculous dealer fee. I work at Infiniti of Tampa and our dealer fee is $599
    Unfortunately there is no way getting around it... it can't be taken off as it's pre-printed on the buyers order. What I do is when someone gripes about the dealer fee and wants it waived if I still have room to move in the deal I just see about taking $599 off the sales price or as much as I can to compensate for it. A customer who just purchased an FX35 from me asked us to split it with him, so that's usually the best way about getting around the dealer fee.
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    and our dealer fee is $599

Also a ridiculous amount even if you split that in half. They should make dealers paste the dealer fee in big bold print right next to the maroney sticker on the vehicle window. Competition would probably cure the practise or maybe people would put enough pressure on their legislatures to enact laws to limit this crap....like most progressive states have done. I think it's max of $75 in CA and around $150 in IL.
  • Options
    604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    Preprinted on the buyer's order. Good one. What does this fee pay for, besides extra profit?
  • Options
    Doc Fees are just another way to confuse the sale of a vehicle. We charge $140 - the amount we calculated to collect to actually cover the cost of processing all the paperwork. There are title clerks, accounting people, etc. that are all part of the overhead of a dealership - now many of you (not all) want the dealers to purchase Infiniti at wholesale prices, ship them halfway across the world, stock them on a nice big piece of land, clean them all up, have a staff of folks to answer questions about them, help you handle all the paperwork - even set up your lease or loan - then you offer the dealership $100 over invoice and say they are making a profit - LOL. I know all you business owners know what I mean, but guys I'm warning you - the dealers are going to make some money somewhere on the sale of the vehicle. If is not on the price (because you won't let them) it will be on the doc fees, or the trade, or the accessories, or the financing - they can't sell them for nothing and expect to stay in business. And please no comments about holdback or service - the holdback is 1.5% - that is barely enough to cover paying the electric bill at the dealership or the advertising, etc. And yes dealerships make money on service, but if they lost on sales, they would just close down their sales departments (or stock one or two cars with 1 salesperson) and just run the proftitable service department.

Bottom line on my rant - look at the entire deal NOT just the price. Look at drive out cost (after trade-in, fees, etc) when you compare dealerships - NOT just the price. Take into consideration the payment and terms - NOT just the price. (If I sell a car for $33,500 but am offering 4.9% and someone else is selling a car for $33,350 but you don't know the rate - they could easily make up the $150 by charging 5%, they charge you 5.9% and they made way more).

Just my thoughts - keep in mind any quotes out of Florida on this site add about $700 to.

Advice from the inside.....have a great weekend.... :D
  • Options
    He is a salesperson, it is out of his control - the dealer (owner) sets that doc fee - and like the guy says, he helps folk make it up by lowering the sales price - not much else he (as a salesperson) can do.

If the consumer does not feel the overall deal is good he can go somewhere else, but it will be the same - see previous post.
  • Options
    fredflintfredflint Member Posts: 6
    It cracks me up to think that just because a doc. fee is preprinted on the buyer's order that this supposedly lends some sort of legitimacy to it.
  • Options
    604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    Don't misunderstand me. I have no issue with a dealership making a profit. That's why they're in business. But an extra $999.00 or even $699.00 for paperwork is crazy.
    A lot a states cap document fees. They manage to stay in business.

What's the difference between an excessive "dealer fee" and an "adjusted market value" sticker? Both are phony charges. I just thought that saying that's "it's printed on the sales order, so you have to pay it" is silly. A dealership can have any number they want printed on it.

Personally, if I was negotiating the price of a car, I would just just go for the bottom line number. I would ignore the add on fee. If the dealer accepted my offer, they can divide it up any way they want. I do think that if I saw unrealistic "fees", I would be wondering where else they're trying for extra profit.

I didn't mean for my comments to be taken as a personal attack against the poster. I understand it's his dealership's policy not his.
  • Options
    1st of all, I'd like to thank SewellGSM for taking the words right out of my mouth!!! You couldn't have explained it any better. Now I do agree that the $599 fee is a lot. I worked at a Ford dealer for a few years and theirs was $899... imagine trying to overcome that BS. As sewellgsm said the doc fee is just pure profit for the dealer. It's to pay for all the overhead there is in running a business. $599 is a bit much but unfortunately that's how it is in FL. If I want to buy a car guess what... I have to pay it as well. I can't even get past it.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Doc Fees are just another way to confuse the sale of a vehicle.

That pretty much sums it up...

We charge $140 - the amount we calculated to collect to actually cover the cost of processing all the paperwork.

I'm guessing the $140 is more like... .whatever the market will bear.. since, before last year, Texas had a cap of $50 on doc fees, and no one went out of business charging $50.. :)

I say give those guys in Texas a couple of years, and they'll be right up there with Florida... After all, everything is bigger in TEXAS!! ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks...putting our lovely state down before we did anything wrong. :D

BTW....many car dealers have gone out of business in Texas.. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jtala and Graphicguy;
    How does this deal sound:
    G37 Sedan w Prem and Nav for 38,600 OTD (9.25% tax in NorCal) and 36 months zero percent financing?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Even without knowing the exact MSRP and price before TTL, I think this is a very good deal.

A G37 with Prem and Navi (plus some random accessories as they all do) will have a MSRP around $39,500 and an invoice of $36,300. The $38,600 OTD works out to about $34,800 plus TTL. The dealer cash for 0% financing is only $500, which means that you are getting about $1,000 below invoice. That is an incredible price if you are not using VPP. I have not seen this kind of price in SoCal. It may be a month-end push for sales.

I would jump on it if I were you.
  • Options
    Thanks a bunch Jtla. I am loading now to pull the trigger.
  • Options
    dash....I like that deal, too.

Good luck!
  • Options
    plumekussplumekuss Member Posts: 18
    Is the $38,600 OTD for a 2009 or 2010 and I assume OTD includes the sales tax mentioned? I live in the Chicago area and I am being quoted for a 2010 around $500 over invoice which I can probably get down some.

The invoice for prem + nav + dest fee ($865) is $37,635.

Thoughts appreciated?
  • Options
    Is it worth an extra $400 to have the car shipped in an enclosed container?
  • Options
    cacunet....sounds reasonable....especially in an enclosed carrier. From where to where?

Rough figures......~50 cents/mile is generally the figure I use to figure gas usage and wear and tear when figuring driving my own vehicles. In this instance, no wear and tear (which is likely to be minimal anyway).