Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A member poses a very interesting question here. What's your opinion? Go visit him if you have time and share your ideas!

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/54071/volvo/s60/general-question-on-volvo-s60#latest

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    fintail said:

Wow, look at that interior - kind of pushes my buttons. If this was a full LED gauges car on one of their cheap leases, I'd almost be tempted.

Ugh. That thing is practically used up. Ten miles.... you better pass if you don't want a whole lot of troubles on your horizon! :p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,395
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I knew it would be yellow before I even clicked on it.  :p
  • Options
    You'd want to see all service and repair receipts. 125K miles is a danger zone for a used E36 BMW IMO. Things like cam cover leaks, rough idle, water pump failure, radiators cracking open, defective clutch fans, manual gearbox shifting problems (be aware if the transmission wants to pop out of 1st or 2nd gear), Guibo couplings, transmission mounts, rear shock mount failure----these are a few of the more likely problems you'll encounter at this mileage. The newer the model year of the E36, the better off you are. They improved over time.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I like that one a lot. But not a car I would buy without a PPI by an expert! But I would be happy to have it to drive. I even like yellow. I think over the years I had 2 yellows (Gremlin and Duster) unless I am forgetting one.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I can't do Yellow. I've only seen a handful of cars ever that I liked it - one was a Speed Yellow Porsche 968. This one, not so much.
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    I love the yellow. But like Shifty said a nice, thick binder of receipts would be nice. Without it, start deducting. It would be a fun warm weather ride though. Very analog driving experience on the E36.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    One reason I bought my Volvo was the folder of receipts---when I saw all the new parts, + the recent timing belt change, that gave me lots of reassurance. I mean, think about it---if an otherwise nice looking car needed 4 tires + a timing belt, that could be $2,000 bucks!
  • Options
    Volvo R pulled off yellow.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    I'd take a pass on an E36 convertible. As bad as the interior bits deteriorate, I can't imagine how much worse that would be with a ragtop.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Never tug on the upper radiator hose on one of those. Ask me how I know. :'(
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    That one is so sad it’s hilarious.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     :p 
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    i have bin injoying reading all in hear the past few days!Type your comment
  • Options
    oh boy.

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    We are visiting in Florida. Compared to Vermont, there are a lot more high end cars (and people). 
    First stop in Vero Beach. A quite high end enclave with conservative fancy cars. Think Rolls and Bentleys (and even a Fisker Karma. Do they still make those?). Then off to visit friends in Ft. Myers. Probably not as upscale, but we did see a very yellow new Lamborghini SUV and several other nice autos. Not many beaters down here. 
    Horrible snowy, salty Vermont roads would probably eat those nice cars up!

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

here is a great example of what I was talking about, in terms of taking a classic car, and giving it modern upgrades while keeping the look as original as possible. I still consider this a classic:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-pontiac-firebird-9/

interesting comment in the comment section that pretty well explains what I was going for:

"I’m in the process of the same resto-mid with my first classic car purchase, a ‘70 GTO… have had it for 20 years in good OE shape and just didn’t enjoy driving it. Not overly fast with the 400, didn’t handle well, braked funky with the front disc and rear drums. It just looked & sounded better than it drove…
    So a GM crate LS3, Welwood brakes, Hochkis suspension and new trans all added similarly to this build, and it has made Ana amazing difference to the ride and handling. Now it is beyond fun and exciting to drive"

Well, doing what the guy said he did is probably $25K. That’s not including what you paid for the car. You’d still need to deal with the fuel system, cooling, AC/heat, and wiring. Don’t forget wheels and tires. Oh, and steering box. Don’t forget the endless fiddling to get all that stuff to work together properly. Then unless it has recently been done there is body/paint and chrome. Interior can be done cheap and wrong or correct and more pricey or “custom” and really pricey. If you go with the first two you get only basic 2-way adjustable seats. Crank window and non-power seats and locks are almost universal on a ‘60s car remember, so could you live with that? The mitaswells can add up really quickly and once you’ve had it for a while you give up trying to do things on the cheap because things drive you nuts and it seems justified to pay someone whatever it takes to fix. $50-60K for all that is probable.

IMO you would be far better off both financially and satisfaction-wise buying a late model fun car. Anything from a Mustang or Camaro convertible or a Boxster or a BMW of some sort. Performs better in every way, no headaches and far cheaper. Take it to Cars and Coffee and knock yourself out.

Kind of my thinking these days. Gotta get the Coronet put together and sold first, though. 

So, along these lines, I've been perusing a couple of the car apps. I'm definitely leaning towards a v8 coupe of some kind. I really should focus on something with a back seat, but a C6 vette is definitely tempting. Here are some I have run across that strike me as interesting possibilities.

2005+ M6
    2005+ CL55
    Challenger
    Camaro
    2009+ Jag XK
    2007+ Quattroporte (yeah, I know, not a coupe)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

here is a great example of what I was talking about, in terms of taking a classic car, and giving it modern upgrades while keeping the look as original as possible. I still consider this a classic:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-pontiac-firebird-9/

interesting comment in the comment section that pretty well explains what I was going for:

"I’m in the process of the same resto-mid with my first classic car purchase, a ‘70 GTO… have had it for 20 years in good OE shape and just didn’t enjoy driving it. Not overly fast with the 400, didn’t handle well, braked funky with the front disc and rear drums. It just looked & sounded better than it drove…
    So a GM crate LS3, Welwood brakes, Hochkis suspension and new trans all added similarly to this build, and it has made Ana amazing difference to the ride and handling. Now it is beyond fun and exciting to drive"

Well, doing what the guy said he did is probably $25K. That’s not including what you paid for the car. You’d still need to deal with the fuel system, cooling, AC/heat, and wiring. Don’t forget wheels and tires. Oh, and steering box. Don’t forget the endless fiddling to get all that stuff to work together properly. Then unless it has recently been done there is body/paint and chrome. Interior can be done cheap and wrong or correct and more pricey or “custom” and really pricey. If you go with the first two you get only basic 2-way adjustable seats. Crank window and non-power seats and locks are almost universal on a ‘60s car remember, so could you live with that? The mitaswells can add up really quickly and once you’ve had it for a while you give up trying to do things on the cheap because things drive you nuts and it seems justified to pay someone whatever it takes to fix. $50-60K for all that is probable.

IMO you would be far better off both financially and satisfaction-wise buying a late model fun car. Anything from a Mustang or Camaro convertible or a Boxster or a BMW of some sort. Performs better in every way, no headaches and far cheaper. Take it to Cars and Coffee and knock yourself out.

Kind of my thinking these days. Gotta get the Coronet put together and sold first, though. 
    So, along these lines, I've been perusing a couple of the car apps. I'm definitely leaning towards a v8 coupe of some kind. I really should focus on something with a back seat, but a C6 vette is definitely tempting. Here are some I have run across that strike me as interesting possibilities.

2005+ M6
    2005+ CL55
    Challenger
    Camaro
    2009+ Jag XK

I was tempted by a used Maserati a few months ago. Y’all talked me out of it. Beautiful cars, though.

I vote for the Challenger.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    oh boy. I’m more likely to get a newer car too. Though could be from the 80s, but really depends how on if it is to be my real car, or purely a spare toy.

Off top of my head, mustang, a Z350/370, wrangler, Z3/z4. Older cars, a classic GTI maybe?

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    What about a 2005/2006 GTO?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    Big car. Good for QB, too big for me.

Prelude or RSX would be good though!

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Regarding the M and AMG cars, do you feel lucky? Those particular years are not the zenith of quality for those brands. As I have little patience for real wrenching or buying a mechanic a new boat, I personally would hold off for a 2010+ (I think) big coupe if I wanted a bruiser MB - the C215 has a host of potential issues, and the earlier C216 6.2 cars have the head bolt shenanigans.

2005+ M6
    2005+ CL55
    Challenger
    Camaro
    2009+ Jag XK

I was tempted by a used Maserati a few months ago. Y’all talked me out of it. Beautiful cars, though.

I vote for the Challenger.

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

What about a 2005/2006 GTO?

I came across a couple, but it is hard to fall in love with what looks like a Cavalier.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    edited January 2019
    Fair point but if it's not my daily driver I could probably live with it. Hard to argue with 400 HP :D
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    You could go with the slightly newer Holden based Pontiac G8 GT?
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    edited January 2019
    stickguy said:

oh boy. I’m more likely to get a newer car too. Though could be from the 80s, but really depends how on if it is to be my real car, or purely a spare toy.

Off top of my head, mustang, a Z350/370, wrangler, Z3/z4. Older cars, a classic GTI maybe?

I like for my toy to be a convertible. The Wrangler is a ton of fun and I’ve always been a fan of the Z3/4. The Z350/70 convertible never did it for me personally but its probably pretty fun. Can’t go wrong with a Mustang either and like the Jeep the aftermarket is there for you to personalize it and have a little fun making it perform and look a little better.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    My fun car thoughts these days are leaning toward something along the lines of a Civic Si. Maybe a Veloster N when they're available for deeply discounted used prices. Something more like my departed Type R, but at least a bit more subtle.

I'd certainly like something more usable than the Miata, which I knew would be the case sooner than later.

Given the pending house purchase and move, I will likely unload the Miata and wait 'til the dust settles to find a replacement. I have a nice purchase quote from Carvana, which would make it easy.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    I would love a circa 1990 era CRX si. But those are rare and expensive. A nice civic Si from that era would be nice though. I had a 1984 (probably around 1990) but was just an S, with a carb. Still fun!

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    stickguy said:

I would love a circa 1990 era CRX si. But those are rare and expensive. A nice civic Si from that era would be nice though. I had a 1984 (probably around 1990) but was just an S, with a carb. Still fun!

In 1991, I was looking at a Civic Si. Asked my insurance agent about it, and was told they were expensive to insure.

So I got a Nissan Sentra SE instead.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Maybe a Fiat Abarth AND Polaris Slingshot. I think I could fit both in the one garage bay currently occupied by the Dodge. ;)

• Options
    The fiat might fit in the trunk.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    That slingshot really does look like fun.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Maserati gives you very little for your money IMO. They SOUND great, but content, at least on the new ones, is vastly overpriced.

I drove the Abarth for an entire morning. Fun for what it is, but it really feels like a toy someone built in their backyard.

RE: Polaris----my mantra is---"Never own anything with three wheels".

Well, now that I've destroyed everyone's hopes and dreams, I guess I'll shut up for a while. :p
  • Options
    Well it's not like I'm alone in opinions about Fiat and Maserati. As for 3-wheelers, my main objection is that you get to hit every pothole imaginable no matter which way you steer. But sure, on a nice flat road on a warm day, a Polaris would be fun. Remember you're talkin' to a man who runs around part of the year on an old Triumph motorcycle.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Maser may be overpriced when new, but that is certainly not what I’m talking about. You can get an 07-08 With very low miles at this point for less than $20k.

I am sure I would tire of a Fiat mighty quick.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Maser may be overpriced when new, but that is certainly not what I’m talking about. You can get an 07-08 With very low miles at this point for less than $20k.

I'd take my chances on a miled up Cayman (though, you may not fit), at that price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

I'd take my chances on a miled up Cayman (though, you may not fit), at that price.
    Interesting thought.

There are 911s out there with replaced IMS that could call my name. Couple on BAT right now.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

Interesting thought.

There are 911s out there with replaced IMS that could call my name. Couple on BAT right now.

But, how much older than '07-'08?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Here is a Cayman S. But that is one funny looking shifter, and someone must have broken off a pedal.
    http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1df0ce0a

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Here is a Cayman S. But that is one funny looking shifter, and someone must have broken off a pedal.
    http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1df0ce0a

Love the colors, but I'd have to put in some black floor mats. No idea why Porsche can't get away from the monochromatic interior.

But, no stick = no sale.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

• Options
    Nice Audi. But still short a pedal.

• Options
    stickguy said:
    Nice Audi. But still short a pedal.
    Pretty sure Audi doesn’t know manual trans’ still exist. ;b

So, stick, somebody posted elsewhere the following:

ok, so as promised I would give feedback on my attempt to lease a car from the Honcker app. I called them to tell them what vehicle I wanted to lease and make sure all pricing was correct and included…before they did a hard credit check…and surprise surprise they told me that the pricing was ‘off’…that ‘unfortunately’ the pricing listed was from some time in December and hasn’t been updated…and it would be about $40 more/month now. I asked if this was just for this car or all Jeeps or ALL cars on the site and I was told…ALL cars on the site currently show the wrong prices. (obviously this means they have been showing the wrong prices for all the cars for at least 3 - 4 weeks!). But, if I want to pay the higher price, they would be higher to process my order (for about $40 more a month for 39 months, lol). Of course I told them to get bent, asked why they even have the appp up and running until they fix pricing? or say on the front page…please note prices are estimated not exact at this time’…and i didn’t get a very good answer obviously, In summary…I guess my advice would be to steer clear of this app! Far far away…

• Options
    Interesting. Thanks. Right now, I just use it for amusement purposes. Price was as presented back in December though!

• Options
    My account at Ally finally shows closed. Whew!

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    qbrozen said:

Yes, though if you can drive more than a few miles without it overheating... you already won! :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Maserati brand was part of a WarrantyDirect survey. Score? 36th place out of.........36!

The various Maserati boards are rather fascinating to read. Owners seem to be really in a love/hate thing with them.

One guy said his 2009 has been "dead reliable" and then proceeded to list about 11 things that went wrong with it.

Another post was classic: "NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER in the last 3 months, 3000 miles".