Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    You can't be serious. Comparing a new Sonata to a used car? Acura does come off the MSRP of it's cars and I would expect to get more than $20,000 after 3 years for a $30,000 TL.

If you're only going to compare the actual dollar numbers, I could compare my motorcycle to your Sonata. If I paid $10,000 for it and sell it for $5,000 after 3 years, I'll do better than your comparison.

Or my bike. I can do the same simple elementary math on it too. My numbers are a lot less than your Sonata comparison. Man. You're getting ripped off. You're so naive.

Actually you could be walking and save all that money on a vehicle. What are you thinking ???????
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Comparing new to used cars, if in the same price range, happens all the time. It's even something that CR suggests people do. In its ratings of new cars, it lists good used cars that offer more features, at the same price as the new cars.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    I would expect to get more than $20,000 after 3 years for a $30,000 TL.

I have a feeling that you would be disappointed on that one. Unless it has very low mileage or is fully loaded (in which case I suspect that it would have been more than $30k to start with) your not going to get that much. Kelly Blue book has them at around 16-17K for trade in.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "...It's funny people can't do simple elementary math..."

What remarkable insight coming from someone on his third new car acquisition within four months...
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Is there truth that there will be an interior change on the 07 Sonata?
  • Options
    delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    Is there truth that there will be an interior change on the 07 Sonata? -leadfoot6

Yes there will be. According to rumors there will be a dark interior offered and tweaks to the current interior trims as well. There is some noise about the LX interior being dressed up nicer. We should see '07 in August or late September '06.
  • Options
    Rumors? Is there anything official?

• Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I don't think so. A 2004 TL with 30,000 miles sold for around 33k sticker. It now is Edmunds private party in good condition at $26,423 - in excellent condition it is $27,400. So 2 years at $6500 depreciation. So next year it will have about 45k miles and be worth about $23,400 private party. That is excellent resale value.

Looking at an old bodystyle makes the resale value look worse than it is (2003 -old bodystyle). Also with Hondas, Toyotas, Acuras, and Lexus one can sometimes get the dealer retail price if it is in good shape- even sold privately. I would never pay that much, but people do all the time. I sold my 2003 Honda Accord at just above private party value, and it sold in 24 hours. If I had more time I would have probably gotten near dealer retail.
  • Options
    trawn75trawn75 Member Posts: 2
    i cant find anywhere what kind of lights are on the 2006 sonata. Little help anyone? :confuse:

FYI i average about 27 MPG highway, and ITS A STICK 5 SPEED!! WTF :mad:

Sincerely,
    T-Rav
  • Options
    Rumors? Is there anything official? snakeweasel

No unfortunately Hyundai keeps changes close to the vest but that doesn't mean there aren't leaks. From what I understand they are making some interior changes (tweaks) based on the feedback from U.S. Owners.
  • Options
    trawn75trawn75 Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know the dimentions or a place that deals in performance air filters? for the lil 4 banger beast
  • Options
    kwonc71kwonc71 Member Posts: 245
    How would you calculate numbers on BACK PAIN? After all, I have wasted little more money after 2 upgrades than buying a LX first time. How? Because there was no rebates when I bought the first GL Sonata. If I bought the LX first time, I would pay least $22,000. I paid only $19,500 after $3,000 rebates this time....
    When you make close to 90K per year like I do, your math will tell you to upgrade so. My math works fine here same as my comfortable back. Please worry about your own math problem there.
  • Options
    fiestafiesta Member Posts: 14
    My car is 06 sonata GLS V6. Every mooning the passenger side airbag off light is on even with my wife sitting on the passenger seat. But when I use the car for the second time in a day, the passenger side airbag off light will work properly. Anybody meets this problem?

Another thing is the vapor from the exhaust looks heavier than my old car. Is It normal for new car or V6?
  • Options
    Sorry but I checked kelly blue book for a 2003 and it showed about 16K for trade in with 42K miles and a fully loaded on is around 18K.

I doubt you will get what you say you will.

• Options
    "When you make close to 90K per year like I do, your math will tell you to upgrade so. My math works fine here same as my comfortable back. Please worry about your own math problem there."

Your infantile boasting is irrelevant since I really don't give a flyin' fig what your annual income is, nor do I believe is anyone else on this forum either. YOU were the responder who arrogantly told other posters they couldn't do "simple elementary math". I'm not at all worried about my own math. I consider quality a better indicator of intelligent choice than quantity.
  • Options
    bdc2020bdc2020 Member Posts: 58
    Just an FYI for anyone wondering - took an LX home last night for a test drive. Basically we love the car, but had to see if it would fit 3 car seats (actually 2 full car seats and 1 booster seat) in the back. It does NOT.

We tried playing musical car seats and no matter how we did it, the 3rd seat would never fit properly. The problem stems from the SIDES of the back seat and how they protrude forward to contour to a body. This protrusion does not allow the 3rd seat to sit flat against the back. If we only had 2 car seats it wouldn't be a problem, but having the 3rd car seat in the middle forces the last seat to be off center from where a person would normally sit.

I have a few pictures of the setup we tried, but don't think I can post them to this forum.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you only make close to 90K per year. I guess that's why you have to buy cheaper cars.

Why even bother with the GL? The LX isn't that much more $.
  • Options
    Fortunately the math works out for his moderate income level. Leastways I think it does - what with my inability to negotiate the perplexity of simple elementary math and all...
  • Options
    tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    "Why even bother with the GL? The LX isn't that much more $."

Only $5,000... peanuts!
  • Options
    It's actually only $3000 difference comparing automatics with mats, assuming you can get both near invoice before rebates, and including the standard rebates. Not too bad given all the extra content.
  • Options
    Because I bought my wife Acura MDX at the same time when I bought the GL.
  • Options
    "Fortunately the math works out for his moderate income level. Leastways I think it does - what with my inability to negotiate the perplexity of simple elementary math and all..."
    You are right! You not paying for my new Sonata, so please worry about yourself.
  • Options
    Here is a graphical breakdown of November Sales.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

According to the report this is the first time that the Hyundai Sonata has made this list. These sales figures confirm that the newly re-designed Sonata is resonating with prospective shoppers and converting them to buyers. Note the percentage increase year over year compared to the previous year.

Source: http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/archives/2005/12/best_selling_ca_2.htm
  • Options
    brjbrj Member Posts: 7
    > We tried playing musical car seats and no matter how we
    > did it, the 3rd seat would never fit properly. The problem
    > stems from the SIDES of the back seat and how they
    > protrude forward to contour to a body. This protrusion
    > does not allow the 3rd seat to sit flat against the back.

Actually, that curve-around of the sides of the rear seats does NOT follow 'the contour of a body'! You are too kind to Hyundai! I write about this in my "Hyundai Sit-In", if I ever get around to posting it [got it in rough draft]. I spent some time at a dealership just SITTING inside various models, per the recommendation of someone on this forum. I didn't want to actually go on the test drive without my friend, and I was pressed for time on my way over to her place anyway, so I just sat in them, but I was there awhile.

That curve in the rear seats is definitely the most obnoxious thing about them. It actually prevents your torso from facing directly forwards. It twists your body: your legs and hips are straight, but your torso is twisted towards the center. I found this effect is more pronounced in the cloth seats; I have no idea why, since they are technically the same shape/design/padding. It made me angry to see such a counterproductive "feature" added to such a pragmatic, intelligent car for no reason.

The rear seats could be quite comfortable if it weren't for that weird "torso twist". Don't they realize the human body is flat, not shaped like an asymmetrical bowl?

I knew that the 'curve' in back would really bother me if I were going to buy the car new or do a long ride in back, but seeing how disruptive that silly seatback curve is with the child seats really brings it into focus. Even cheap car models know to keep the seatbacks straight in back. It's not "luxury" to have your torso twisted so the rear seats be supposedly more appealing to the eye. That's fake luxury. (True luxury has nothing to prove.) This was the kind of stuff which should've been avoided considering Hyundai replaced its 'career' management with real engineers.

Thanks for that great 1st-hand experience/experiment, bdc2020.
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Very interesting article, thanks for bringing it to our (mine anyway) attention.
  • Options
    jaylinjaylin Member Posts: 15
    my dilemma

hai
    i own sonata lx for 2 and a 1/2 months, with only 1200 miles.
    i put 1000 miles in 2 weeks and then it is literally sitting in the garage to be traded up to azera. more i lernt about azera more i "WANTED" it.
    i was thinking that i should be able to trade sonata, loosing only couple of hundred dollars and it's warranty to be transfered to the new owner.
    now after reading discussion of "where to start" from "bdc 2020", i am wondering about that. any suggestions?.also will the new owner get incentives?
    in the other forum "kwonc71" in "trade up again", changed 2 sonatas in 6 months. did you loose a lot when you traded from GL to GLS and from GLS to LX. what about warranty and incentives on these.
    i am posting in both forums for larger response and not to be redundant
  • Options
    You will probably forfeit between $1,800.00-$2,200.00 in depreciation - maybe more. The next owner of your current Sonata will retain the remainder of the basic 5 yr./60,000 mile "bumper-to-bumper" warranty, but the extended 6-10 yr./60,000-100,000 mile powertrain warranty does not transfer to subsequent owners. That loss will be a bargaining chip for a prospective buyer to use against the dealer and he knows it, so he'll be "penalizing" you accordingly. The next owner will receive NO Hyundai America rebate or financing incentives since your car became a USED car as soon as you drove it off the lot as its first owner of record. Again, with no incentives for the next buyer, that's another factor the dealer will use against you when you trade your car in. If you follow through with trading your car, you'll qualify for any current incentives and a full warranty on the next car since it's an entirely new purchase. Like kwonc71, you will get the royal treatment when you show up at your dealer, and a horse laugh after you leave in your next new car.
  • Options
    lemonade2lemonade2 Member Posts: 31
    Just started using the heated seats...has anyone noticed that it takes a long time to heat up and then after they do the temp does not stay constant. It is like it cycles on and off.

thanks for your responses.
  • Options
    That shouldn't come as any particular surprise since the principle is similar to electric blanket heating control - it cycles regulated voltage (12V) in one of two states: either on or off. Additionally, most seat heating installations utilize no user adjustable temperature control. Finally, to avoid the possibility of overheating damage to the padding and upholstery, the heating wire element can't be too abrupt in its heating action.
  • Options
    "...You will probably forfeit between $1,800.00-$2,200.00 in depreciation..."

Depreciation from what point?
    Price before rebates?
    Which rebates, if they count rebates in discounting depreciation?
    Let's say I bought a GLS for $19,000 - Before rebates -; and was entitled to a 3*1,000 rebates.
    How is the depreciation calculated? From what price $19,000 or $16,000?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Please don't post the same message in two discussions. Now we have the same conversation happening in two places when it should only be in one.

You will find that folks interested in any give vehicle follow all the discussions about that vehicle. So it is not necessary to post more than once; you will reach the same people no matter which one you choose.

Thanks - and good luck.
  • Options
    It's the dealer adjusted (for the original rebate/incentives) final actual dollar amount difference from the original MSRP (what Kelly bases its current depreciated used car pricing on) that an owner is offered that counts as far as I'm concerned. As I previously stated, the dealer will do the adjustment because he knows he has to assume he can't sell that used car for full Kelly because it's safest to assume an astute prospective buyer will demand a discount since current rebate/incentives are available on brand new models. But, if the prospective used car buyer isn't very astute (and there seem to be some as we're seeing lately in this thread), the dealer will happily pocket all of the difference upon resale of that used car. For the dealer, rebate/incentives are the best of all possible worlds: the manufacturer extends the rebate/incentives at its expense, and the dealer loses NOTHING on first sale unless the buyer manages to negotiate him down some, but actually stands to profit handsomely, regardless, on an early turn-around trade-in. (Hmmm... is that a horse laugh from a Hyundai dealer I hear off in the distance?)
  • Options
    wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    Don't you lose out on the tax and license money, too? That depending on where you live, could be close to a couple of thousand dollars. So isn't the total loss closer to $4K?

Steve
  • Options
    Not sure about the law in other states, but presume its pretty much the same, but here in Illinois you only pay tax on the difference between the selling price of the new car and the trade in allowance of the old car. So if you buy a $25k car and you get $20k on your trade in you only pay sales taxes on $5k.

• Options
    What do you see in the Azera that is $6000 better than the Sonata? I test drove both. Azera wasn't as big a deal as the Sonata LX. Just kinda OK.
  • Options
    That curve in the rear seats is definitely the most obnoxious thing about them. It actually prevents your torso from facing directly forwards.

Your comment about the rear seats caused me to test-sit the Sonata again while I was at my Hyundai dealer today. It was an LX on the showfloor. I have not noticed this "twist" before, in 4-5 test-sits in various Sonatas (cloth and leather), and I did not notice it today. I did notice that I was sitting in the "flat" part of the back seat, and my back did not touch the side bolster, which does stick out. I wonder if this "twist" affects people differently depending on their height, girth etc. I am 5'10" and 170 pounds.

I also check-tested the front seat (power) again because of all the comments about discomfort. I noticed I had to set the seat bottom so that the front edge was as high as it would go and the back edge as low as it would go before it was to my liking. So I could see how some people would like it to come up a little more in front. And this was actually better than with the manual seat, where the front edge doesn't tilt up as much. That is a problem with almost every car I've tested that has only a single height-adjustment lever.
  • Options
    "What do you see in the Azera that is $6000 better than the Sonata? I test drove both. Azera wasn't as big a deal as the Sonata LX. Just kinda OK."

I second that!
    Actually the interior design /color does not look that appealing to me! It looks out of place!
  • Options
    blnewtblnewt Member Posts: 27
    This weeks Autoweek has an update log on their '06 Sonata. They really have a negative 'tude regarding the car. I'm not giving it much credence as the guy doing the primary bashing is what I'd call an "elitist Snob". You can tell throughout the snippet that he's predetermined that nothing Hyundai will ever build will be worthy of his esteemed praise. That's OK, I'm more than happy w/ our new Sonata GLS V6. If any of you get Autoweek and can paste the article it'd be interesting to see what others have to say about it.
  • Options
    cjlarscjlars Member Posts: 29
    After reading this I, too, had to check out the back seat of my LX. Honestly I do not appreciate any "twist" whatsoever. I know that it was supposedly more pronounced in the cloth but I can't detect it at all in the leather. I am 6'2" and about 190. I can see how the side bolsters might twist a stouter passenger but it wasn't apparent to me.
  • Options
    cjlarscjlars Member Posts: 29
    You can access this article online. Just click on the "magazine" link on the homepage of Autoweek. He describes the car as feeling "fragile"-certainly not a word that comes to mind for me when I drive mine.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    you have it figured out to a tee. When looking at a new car you have to go take the car for a drive yourself and ask your salesman questions, etc. Going by what a magazine writer says will probably hurt you more than help you in making your new car purchase.

Actually, I could go for just strictly information about the car I'm interested in and some cool pictures and I'd be happy as a Ray Allen jumper in regards to magazine articles about my new car. Know what I mean?

Auto writers are carrying a strong bias usually towards their pets. I don't know about you guys but I think Hyundai has done a great job on the 2006 Hyundai Sonata. For the price you're paying you are getting more car than you're paying for. It's styled nicely (which you can't even start to say about the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry). It also carries an unbeatable Long-Haul Warranty.
    So far the complaints are petty and fairly few on this new sedan, too.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    ilumysephia those are my exact sentiments when it comes to auto writers. I reviewed the comments and they seem rather presumptuous and dismissive. The writer says (sic) "I’ve never driven a Hyundai I would consider buying (not even one), and this car does nothing to change my mind,"(sic) By showing his pre-bias against the brand it all but makes anything else he writes about the car a disqualification.

So far the current sales numbers for the '06 Sonata tells me that real people are buying the new Hyundai Sonata in large numbers and auto journalist with pre-conceived bias are being ignored.

This is so ironic as I recall this very mag gushed oh so embarrassingly about how the Ford Contour, when it was first launched, was viewed as the car that would help Ford compete against the Japanese juggernaut and we all know what happened to the Ford Contour!
  • Options
    Glad to hear others don't take a lot of stock in this either, here's the link Autoweek Sonata log
  • Options
    krikakrika Member Posts: 49
    Can anybody suggest me how to avoid snow stuck on shoes damage the carpet. I tried putting a polythene sheet over the carpet but its kinda slipping under the feet. I hate to see the carpet get dirty.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    So... everybody here likes the articles that are proSonata and dismisses the ones that are negative. Imagine that!

Not everyone out there loves the Sonata. As a longtime CamCord owner who recently sampled this car I admit the car has a lot going for it. But it also isn't salvation on wheels.

Its going to take a while and some more refinement for the Sonata to get the universal nods that CamCords get.
  • Options
    The mats are removable for a reason--so they can be washed. ;) And replaced after awhile, if you like to keep them looking always-new.
  • Options
    "So... everybody here likes the articles that are proSonata and dismisses the ones that are negative. Imagine that!"-leadfoot6

leadfoot criticism of the car is not what is negative. What's negative is when a writer begins a comment by stating outright that he does not like a particular brand regardless of what they make. Imagine if an auto journalist began his opening comments by saying how much he hated Toyotas or Hondas and liked nothing that they made? How fair or objective would you expect that writer to be?

I think we can agree that Hyundai Sonata has room for improvement but so do a lot of cars. Thats why they are frequently tweaked throughout each model year.
  • Options
    I'm very aware that the Sonata isn't the be-all end-all of the car world. I just wish this particular writer would have at least sounded like he was giving the car an objective review, but from the tone it was clear that he wasn't going to be "won-over" by anything Hyundai manufactures.
  • Options
    zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    Get a ridged water retaining bad weather mat for use in the
    winter. I have one in my CRV and Sonata. Drivers seat
    only.