Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L Styling Impressions

Comments

• Options
    oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Is the performance on the IS 350 really that bad? I would think not... but I am still waiting for Lexus to get a 350 in Winnipeg (soon). I am pretty sure that the test-drive will seal the deal for me.

Indeed... I can attest to that. The IS350 is raw fast... Be ready for its speed which can be quite intoxicating. The interior materials are so nice, you'd really be hard pressed to find another car with the level of quality of materials. The Pioneer sound system (non-ML) is rich sounding and inside the small cabin of the IS, pretty outstanding. If you can pony up the $40K US ($54K Can) for the Base + 18" sport wheel package + Premium Lux + Nav _+ destination, that will be a nice ride.
  • Options
    mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    "Not the GS over the 5 though. I found the GS disappointing in too many non-driving related aspects as well."

Like what? The interior is appointed very well, a class leader IMO.

oac - This is where I lose myself. Either the Luxury package with the nav for the same price, or the sport package w/o nav. I do a lot of driving and I plan to keep the car for a long time, but no more than 7 years, so nav would be ideal.

You know, I really thought that we would have more information on the LS than this! All we have gotten was pictures of the exterior and nothing else. Sure it is nice, but all we can do is speculate on already known things.

Why do you ask how old I am?
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    They did say that the IS will beat the 3 in "driving performance". The same exact words. It does beat it in straightline performance, no doubt.

If all aspects of a car were based on simple numbers, there would really be nothing to talk about.

Handling is a qualitative aspect. And the vast majority of people who've tested the two cars say that the 3 and even the G35 is a more fun-to-drive, feedback oriented car than the IS (not that the IS is far behind). And as I said, the IS is close enough that I would go for it over the 3.

But back to the 2007 LS, I hope we get some more concrete info soon.
  • Options
    "Like what? The interior is appointed very well, a class leader IMO."

I will answer if you post the same question in the GS or LPS thread. I think that we are straying too far from the 2007 LS and am afraid may get deleted.
  • Options
    Mixed up with someone else. Never really seriously considered an S.
  • Options
  • Options
    oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Why do you ask how old I am?

There are not that many 19-yr-olds that show this much interest in full-size luxury sedans like an LS, hence my curiousity with you and your apparent youthfulness :) So back to you: why are you that interested in this car ? OTOH, many of us posters here already either have an LS or plan to buy a car in this class... See why I asked ?
  • Options
    Yup, I certainly do understand why you asked and that was my first hunch. The reason why I am interested in this car is because I have respect for Lexus' philosophy in this market place which is overcrowded by luxury makers without discipline with respect to putting out cars that work. I know several owners of German makes, ie. Audi, MB, BMW, and all have had rediculous problems with their vehicles.

My bodybuilding trainer had a TT and it simply stopped running right on the road (half of the cylinders kept running, per Audi engineering?), among several other issues with the car. Needless to say, he is never buying another Audi as he is embarassed with the car, same goes for his Touareg.

I value honesty and trust the most, so the German makes are out of the question; their cars seem skin deep.

I am interested in the LS because this is Lexus' flagship vehicle and you can always look to a company's flagship to find the direction that a company is heading towards. Electronics and new technology interest me quite a bit and I just know that the new LS will present all of those in the most reliable car with gobs of power and style.

Interest in the LS motivates me to work harder/smarter and therefore achieve more (I am paid by commission. Guess what I do.:)). I look forward to seeing the LS on my driveway in the future whether it is the next generation LS or the one after that.

EDIT: (I am paid by commission. Guess what I do.) - No, I am not a gigalo! :blush: ... just clarifying things.
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Mike,

When I was your age I wanted a top of the ladder sport car and a top of the ladder lux sedan. So I am with you. At that time both were out of reach. Today both are easily doable. Ah but the family renders the sport car a fantasy.
  • Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    the fact that when a Lexus Exec say "outperform", this is a very vague statement, that can have superiority interpreted many different ways.

If a car is faster to the quarter than another car, it could be considered to "outperform" it.

Or do better in a slalom test, or braking test. Or a road test.

Are these newer designs EXACTLY what drivers want? He%& No!

But they may actually be enough to get the more spirited drivers into the showroom, and once Lexus puts the schmooze on, they ain't leavin' empty-handed (but maybe with empty pockets!).

Lexus will NEVER make an Evo, NSX, 3-series, or anything else that dedicated to driving. It's just not their gig!

But they will bend some. They see there is room for growth. VDIM, while not perfect, is better than just another full-on nanny. It's supposed to be like a nanny's boss. Keep the nannies from taking over.

MAYBE, with a system like VDIM, a Lexus can gain a half-second on a road course over a German car filled with untamed nannies? It's Possible. It's the thought that counts. They're trying.

I want Lexus to build me an Evo X! Not happening! Ever! :cry:

But maybe we can, with love and understanding, find a middle ground. :)

The IS250 is about 30HP/45lb.ft. short of my middle ground.

For a more mature buyer, the New LS may have finally nailed it! We're off to a good start.

DrFill
  • Options
    "The IS250 is about 30HP/45lb.ft. short of my middle ground."

It is not too far from the truth that we can expect an IS 300 with the 250 derived 300 from the GS.

"Lexus will NEVER make an Evo, NSX, 3-series, or anything else that dedicated to driving. It's just not their gig!"

Then why make a brand new V10? If Lexus is trying to "save money" as it were by not making a production 6MT for the IS 350, then why make a V10 that will never see a production engine bay. Makes no sense to me. I say we will get an LF-A. Just watch!

Doctors aren't always right. ;)
  • Options
    I have a solution for you: Buy the sport car, rent a garage close to home, drive your humble, wife approved car to the garage, park it there and then take your sport car to work. Nobody will tell. You would sort of be like batman, except with a Ferrari and you don't fight crime.
  • Options
    vasiavasia Member Posts: 14
    "Driving performance" is a vague phrase.

I really don't think I need to point out performance results of the IS350 in the C & D test, which as we know, C & D is *all* about driving feel and performance, less so about anything else.

The IS350 had better stopping power than the 330i, out accelerated the 330i by a considerable margin, has a better interior (this is more than just subjective taste), has better safety features.

Now, it didn't do that well in the slalom, but that is due to VDIM. I remember reading one review that said slalom results would be *much higher* if VDIM were disabled.

Handling-wise, almost all reviews claim it's *very* close to a 330i, and some claim the IS350 as being best in class. Several reviews have mentioned the extreme confidence the IS350 exhibits in handling.

Subjectively (in driving feel), Lexus will never "beat" BMW, because Lexus is not aiming to do that.

Realistically and objectively (tested performance numbers and specs), the IS350 clearly beats the 330i in "driving performance".

Just as a note, Lexus updated the 0 - 60 of the IS350 to 5.3s. This is after it was tested by AMCI, meaning the Lexus tested 5.6s was a bit conservative.

Also the slalom is not always indicative of handling or overall performance. The TL got one of the best slalom times, but it does not make it the best handling car.

Lexus has repeatedly said they were NOT out to make a 3 Series copycat or clone. Lexus made ... a Lexus. Lexus did their own thing with the new IS.

As a rough guide, performance-wise, they used the 3 Series as the benchmark. It's also the market leader.
  • Options
    vasiavasia Member Posts: 14
    Lexus models have always been kept simple. A bigger number indicates a bigger engine, and thus, more performance.

Within the same model, a bigger number always means more performance.

Lexus has also stated several times that the GS450h will have fuel economy of a four cylinder, while having power equivalent to a 4.5L V8 engine.

So naturally, the GS460 will be slightly faster.

Lexus never said anywhere that the GS450h would be a flagship. It's a V6 hybrid. It's just an alternative, an "exclusive" model in other words.

A flagship would be something along the lines of a GS600h.
  • Options
    lexusfan5lexusfan5 Member Posts: 4
    "Lexus never said anywhere that the GS450h would be a flagship. It's a V6 hybrid. It's just an alternative, an "exclusive" model in other words. "

well it diffently won't be the flagship thats the LS's job however the Lexus GS450h will be the premium of the gr range it says so at their site. check out the the GS450h video.
  • Options
    lexusfan5lexusfan5 Member Posts: 4
    I didn't mean the GR range I ment the GS range
  • Options
    gossiptrackergossiptracker Member Posts: 33
    Behind the times are we?

It would appear so.....
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Folks, we're all over the map here. This discussion is NOT about:
    1) Lexus quality, performance, etc., in general
    2) A potentential hybrid GS (but please feel free to start a new topic on it)
    3) The Lexus IS

Many off-topic posts are being removed. Please check the discussion title before posting!!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    "Shiro Nakamura, design chief at Nissan Motor Co., said the LF-Sh is "sportier, with more emotion" than the current edition.

"It's well managed," Nakamura said. "It has a very nice surface, beautiful proportions and nice detail everywhere.""

That's surprising. It's pretty rare for an executive of a competitor company to gush so much about a rival company's car. A refreshing change from the snobby, dismissive attitude from the folks at BMW and MB.

"Kazuo Okamoto, executive vice president for r&d of Toyota Motor Corp., said the LS 460 will have a newly engineered V-8 engine, as well as an all-wheel-drive hybrid V-8 edition with the equivalent power of a 6.0-liter V-12."

Since the S600 uses a bi-turbo 5.5L V12, I think the proper comparison would be the 6.0L V12 in the 760i, which is normally aspirated. That engine makes 438 hp, so I'd expect the LS600h to make similar output.
  • Options
  • Options
    Gonna have to wait till Detroit I'm afraid.
  • Options
    "Lexus took the wraps off the concept sedan that likely introduces the design direction of its next-generation flagship LS. His sleekness uses V8 power augmented by a gas-electric hybrid-drive system and AWD. Word is, this arrangement will be become the new LS standard. No word on whether BMW will sue for infringement of its 7-Series trademark rear-end."

Source: link title

This may be meant to incite people, I don't know, but I don't see any resemblance, do you?

I could not find many pictures of the rear-end of the 7, which may be due to it being so ugly, people are trying to hide them. I went to great lengths to find this!

• Options
    Hmm... I thought we would get more than we did at Tokyo... I guess not... When is the Detroit show? I hear that ES will be introduced there.
  • Options
    One is smooth, flat and perfectly mated to the body and the other looks like a misfit piece of a jigsaw puzzle. I have never seen much of a resemblance to the 7 in this car and it is a far more striking car. The notchback is the only thing to me that is BMW in this design.
  • Options
    lexusilexusi Member Posts: 65
    I argued with alot about this, i posted before pics for others to see the so called resemblence! anyway, u can check it, post #865.

Hmm, iam sad, Tokyo betrayed us! we really thought we will see something out here, but i guess will leave it to NAIAS, anyway Tokyo ends at the 6th of nov. so i hope we will hear something, and where is Kiyonaga-san?

concering NAIAS, hmm i dont think that lexus will show it ES, they dont want anything to steal LS thunder :P

Lexusi
  • Options
    nexuslexusnexuslexus Member Posts: 147
    NAIAS is in early-mid january... I think it starts January 14th for the public. Speaking of which... I think it opens on on Sunday the 8th for the media... so I will try to get as many pictures as I can on the 8th.... so by the 8th we should have a lot of information.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Meaning an (a) automotive journalist or (b) a non-automotive journalist that can use press credentials to get into journalist events?
  • Options
    rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I think that we are straying too far from the 2007 LS and am afraid may get deleted.

I vote for that......... This is 2007 LS forum...............
  • Options
    A non automotive journalist, however I cover the Detroit auto show.
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    The new LS looks a lot closer to the '06 750i than it does the '02-05 745i. Still, its not exactly what I would call a "rip off". If BMW is going to sue Lexus, they might as well sue Mercedes for the '07 S interior.

• Options
    carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Seeing those pictures above, I can see some resemblance. It doesn't look like blatant copying though; and it does look better.

side note: I might be the only one to think this, but... it seems to me that the late-80s Civic sedan had that trunk lip a few years before the 3-series had it, yet everyone accuses the Civic of ripping off the 3.

Anyway, BMW's stated reason for that rear end was that rear decks need to be higher for good aerodynamics (this is fact, and you'll see it on most cars), and that the Bangle Butt was the only way to get the high rear deck with a low, straight beltline. Anyone who wants to achieve those two goals (high deck, straight beltline) simply has to do the same. Kudos to BMW if they really were the first, but the Elantra, RL, and this Lexus pull it off without any awkwardness.

The rest of the car looks completely Lexus to me. For once. Not only that, but I think it doesn't have a disappointing line on it - something I can't say about the S-Class or 7-Series. Looks more imposing than either of those, too.

Can't wait to see the L-Finessed SC.
  • Options
    Lexus wouldn't have had time to copy the 2006 750.

I do believe though that the 2002-05 7-series influenced the design of the LF-Sh. But it is evolutionary and the butt of the LF-Sh as I think everyone here agrees looks much better than the 2002-05 7-series'.
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    It looks like the new LF-Sh has fans over at The Car Connection:

Paul Eisenstein (TCC publisher) says:

"Most Significant Production Vehicle: Yes, it's still a concept, but my pick is the LF-Sh. Already the top-selling luxury brand in the U.S., Lexus needs to go global, and the production version of the LS is the vehicle the Toyota division will depend on as it launches the Lexus badge globally."

and Marty Padgett (TCC editor) says:

"Best New Production Car: Let's call the Lexus LF-Sh what it is - the new LS460. Finally, Lexus has a truly pretty car to take on the new S-Class and 7-Series. It and Jaguar's XJ are the clear style leaders in luxosedans of this price point."

Source: http://www.thecarconnection.com/pf/Auto_News/Car_Shows/Tokyo_Auto_Show/2005_Tokyo_Show_Las- t_Words.S291.A9518.html
  • Options
    Looks like the trunk lid was tacked on with a big clump of clay.
  • Options
    lexusilexusi Member Posts: 65
    No more news from Tokyo!

Look at those links:

link title

link title

Waiting for someone to release some info!

Hope we will not wait toooo long!

Lexusi
  • Options
    Well, people shouldn't be holding their breaths waiting for official details, imho. My impression is that Lexus historically has been rather slow to release info on upcoming models. For instance with the IS I think they released pricing only days before the models were actually available for sale.
  • Options
    popeye7popeye7 Member Posts: 15
    Resemblance,

Do you or anyone out there have interior photos of the 07 LS. Also, a list of standard features and option packages.

Thanks
  • Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    You obviously have not been paying attention to this forum the past week or so. There are ZERO photos or details released so far concerning the interior. Some of us have been going crazy while waiting. There are some that think that we may not get any more details until the Detroit Auto Show in January.
  • Options
    Thanks Cyclone - we owe you one.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    BMW should sue Mercedes for the interior copy before it sues Lexus for that rear end...
  • Options
    a high-performance LS, along the lines of what AMG does, it could be a monster. Check this:

Toyota officials let slip in Tokyo that the LF-A is going to have a V10 engine, developed from the engines in Toyota's F1 cars, which is thought to develop over 500bhp and give 200mph-plus capability. Although the engine is front- rather than mid-mounted, the LF-A will be rear-wheel drive, and Lexus has promised "the ultimate weight balance", "extravagant comfort" and "precision operation."

source http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/spyshots-2005/L/lexus/lfa-spider.html

Put something like that in an LS, even detuned a bit, but then adding hybrid, and you have potentially something in AMG territory.
  • Options
    Syswei - I'd agree. If they build that LF-A and it looks almost certain, than I'd expect that engine will get into an LS or a car above the LS not too long afterward. I think we are in for a lot of big splash announcements from Lexus.
  • Options
    The Lexus LF-A concept completed the Lexus trio at the Tokyo show.

The luxury marque’s first supercar concept, the LF-A is based on a 40-valve V10 producing close to 370kW (500 hp).

LF-A is based on the corporation’s developing Formula One technology.

The sleek two-seater concept blends the performance of an exotic sports car with the luxury refinements of a Lexus.

At 1220mm, LF-A is almost identical in height to the Ferrari F430.

“The LF-A concept expresses how we would design a premium sports car to compete with the best on offer,” Scott Grant said.

“We are hopeful it will be built as a production model, and that we would be able to make it available in Australia.”

Lexus LF-A ultra-high-performance sports car concept specifications:

Wheelbase: 2580mm
    Total length: 4400mm
    Total width: 1860mm
    Total height: 1220mm
    Front tyre size: 245/40R19
    Rear tyre size: 285/35R19

Source: link title

Why would Toyota build a V10 engine for a street car and then not use the engine in any of its line up? They would never do that. Clearly this car is getting ready for production, especially since they are naming details like where they even hope to allocate it.

We'll see the LF-A and probably see the V10 of the LF-A in the AMG-like variants in the Lexus line up, like in the LS. I say: Put the V10 into the IS 500.

:shades:
  • Options
    The more I look at the LF-A the more I like it.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Maybe they should - but clearly everyone is copying BMW design - something I don't understand.
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I'm sure that the production version of the LF-A may have a V-10, but that doesnt mean any other car will get it. Honda never shared the NSX's 3.2L, 290hp engine with any other car in their line up, and thats generally not the way Honda operates.
  • Options
    Yes, but Lexus has said they will build a very high end car beyond the LS and Toyota has much higher luxury aspirations beyond Honda's.
  • Options
    I'm sure that the production version of the LF-A may have a V-10, but that doesnt mean any other car will get it.

That is very possible and I expressed a similar sentiment here only last week. I think I said that if the LF-A is at a $100,000 price point, Lexus might want to make it more differentiated, and have only it receive a V10.

But I did see an article which made it sound like Lexus was very seriously considering a AMG-type "brand within a brand" performance division. That makes a performance-LS, possibly with a V10, a reasonable possibility.