Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• i'm from rockland county ny. i'm looking for a new 2004 auto ex v6 nav accord. so far the best quote from "Honda of Nanuet" was for $26,679.00 + tax +Documentation($45.00) + dmv fees.

i think i can do better on the price of the car.

thanks
  • pgillpgill Posts: 84
    I was quoted $26,000 for the same car at D&C Honda at Tenafly. Looks like you can probably do better.
  • nw1997nw1997 Posts: 227
    mark,

I did not like the service we got from Honda of Nanuet. There pricing was not competitive.
  • I love the idea of using Costco to buy a car, provided I'm not leaving more than a couple hundred dollars on the table vs. a grind it out deal.

Anyone have experience getting a quote from Costco and then go out and try to beat it?
  • nw1997nw1997 Posts: 227
    aspesisteve,

We did get a quote from a dealership that had an agreement with COSTCO. It was much higher than we got on our own. This was in the NYC area where the Accords and Camrys sell for high prices cause the demand are very high out here.
  • last year i tried to help my neice shop for a 2003 crv. i contacted several honda dealers on my area and "honda of nanuet" was no where close to the lowest price. my neice thought comming in the the best price and talking to a live sales man would help. it did and he gave an even lower price. the key is try and try again.
  • when i purchased my camry back in 97, the toyota dealer had a lifetime oil change club for a one time fee of $100. i signed up and they still honor it. now i'm in the market for an accord and need to know if there are any honda dealerships that have oil change promotions, free loaner, free car wash, ... around the rockland county ny area ?

thanks
  • around what month is the best time for incentives? when do the next years model accords come out. the camry comes out around oct. so thats a good time for deals.

thanks
  • The quote I got from Costco was right around invoice...which is quite a bit more than other sources (like Edmunds and Autobytel)but they were very easy to deal with. Have had clients that bought other makes from them and been very happy though.
  • I bought a silver EX V6 yesterday for $24395, which I consider a decent price.

It took some going back and forth, but it came down to the fact that I found a dealer about 3 hours away that had quoted me that as an internet price. So really, this dealer was forced to match it or I could have driven a few hours and done the deal (I live in central PA, and Honda dealers are spread out). I didn't want to do that, so I was really hoping the dealer would match, and they did.
    My experience with the dealer was pleasant, and I thought he was pretty straightforward with me. My wife and I bought a GMC truck a few months earlier, and they were shady and will lie right to you and deny it a few minutes later.

The Honda dealer basically said you typically won't be able to negotiate a price as low as some internet managers will go, because they are looking for quick easy sales and will settle for only a couple hundred dollars over invoice. But he grudgingly matched the price, so I was happy. I then negotiaed my trade, which I received $2500 for (a fair price, according to kbb, for a fairly worn down 1994 Honda Passport).

Here's a question:
    On the sale write-up, he broke down the price as this:
    Sale price $26890
    Trade in $4995
    Total sale $21895

Rather than a Sale price of $24395 and the $2500 trade. He said it's better for me because if anything happens to the car, it will have a higher replacement value. I suspect that it was better for him, and will appear that he sold the car for the full MSRP.

Is this normal practice? It didn't affect my price, so I didn't mind.

Thanks.
  • Looks to me like an internal sales strategy.

The Used Car dept., being typically a different cost/profit center from the New Car dept., buys selected trade-ins from New Cars.

Using the same "I'll show you the invoice" tactic they use on us consumers, New Cars shows $4995 to Used Cars as their acquisition price for the trade.

Haggling ensues and, in the end, Used Cars probably gets the car from New Cars higher than the actual $2500 trade. Result: more internal profit for New Cars.

As the consumer, you're paying the same net sales tax (new minus trade x sales tax) so, no effect there on you. On future resale, market prices at the time will mostly dictate your resale price, and showing buyers your purchase paperwork will have little or no bearing.

Now, if most new car buyers had trades, and most car dealers invoiced in the manner of your dealer, then there might be a cumulative effect on future resale. I'm not sure if this is the case, though.
  • "As the consumer, you're paying the same net sales tax (new minus trade x sales tax) so, no effect there on you."

This isn't always true; I know some states (specifically Kentucky) don't do the taxes this way. You pay tax on the price of the new vehicle, regardless of the trade. If PA is similar to KY, jarles would be paying more tax than he really should be. Not sure that this would benefit anyone but the state, but the fact remains.
  • I drilled down on this item during a recent purchase, and apparently the new-minus-trade x tax rate formula holds true, at least in GA. Car dealers here promote that tax treatment, and so far I've not found it to be a ruse (note "so far").
  • genetageneta Posts: 23
    Went to my local dealer in Alexandria, Va. Offered 24,500 on V6EX. After a lot of haggling and back and forth they agreed. One catch, they add $289 processing fee so the total before title and tax is $24,789. I'd be interested in learning your feelings on this deal!
  • when the sales guy bumped up your trade value so he could bump up the Accord's selling price it's pretty obvious he got some kind of kicker for selling it at a higher price. As for the "higher replacement value" this is a fairy tale. Auto insurance will not buy you a new car after it's driven off the lot - it will be used and depreciated right off the get go and that's your insured value. Dealers often try to sell 'gap' insurance for this reason.

btw; California doesn't let you subtract sales tax with a trade - this really makes it a poor proposition to trade a car in here.
  • geneta> Went to my local dealer in Alexandria, Va. Offered 24,500
    geneta> on V6EX. After a lot of haggling and back and forth they
    geneta> agreed. One catch, they add $289 processing fee so the
    geneta> total before title and tax is $24,789.

I live in Alexandria, VA and recently bought a 2004 Honda Accord LX with Side Airbags 4 cyl 5 spd Automatic for $2,988 below MSRP and more than $300 BELOW the True Dealer Cost. This dealership also included pinstripes, mudguards and wheel locks as part of the deal. I had several dealers wanting to sell me the car at this price. It was a much better result than I expected to achieve.

I believe the only way I was able to achieve this was by putting out my car to bid by email and Fax among 20 to 25 area dealers. If you haven't already done this you might want to try it to see if you can get a better deal than what you have. It looks like there may be some dollars still left on the table. Doing this with just a few dealers won't get the best result. In my recent post (#3825) on this board you can read exactly what I did.

According to Edmunds the MSRP (includes destination charge) on the EX V6 AT you want is $26,400. Invoice is $23,754. The Holdback is $792. So the True Dealer Cost is $22,962. Having just gone through this experience I would think that you should be able to get a car around this price plus $200 to $300 at the MOST in the DC area under present conditions. However because you are getting an EX V6 instead of an LX I4 then the supply and demand equation that favored me may or may not be the same for you. The only way to know for sure is to put it out for bid via "email/FAX attack."

I bought my car from a nearby Maryland dealer. Maryland dealers are limited to $100 processing fees. VA dealers can charge whatever they want. You only pay the 3% VA Tax at a Maryland dealer. You don't pay the additional approx .2% local Gross Receipts Tax. The MD dealer will handle the tag work for you. You will have to pay $15 for the VA safety inspection in VA after you get your tags though. This is kinda moot since you are really looking to compare the dealers "Out The Door Price".

An additional reason for getting the lowest price you can is that in VA you will be paying 30% of the personal property tax yearly. Buying sooner rather than later may also be in your favor. It looks as though the VA General Assembly is going to raise the vehicle "sales" tax from 3% to 4.5% to help close the state budget deficit. If it passes and the Governor agrees to sign the bill it will start on July, 1.
  • I did the math, and the salex tax was calculated on the amount AFTER the trade-in value was subtracted from the selling price, so it really didn't affect my total price.
    I suspected the dealer was doing this for less than altruistic reasons on my behalf, but I really didn't mind since I could see difference on my part.

Thanks for the input.
  • I didn't mean to say your deal was misleading or a bad one - the end result was good for you and that's what counts. It's just funny what sales people will say in fear that you might walk from a deal.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 641
    anyone know which would be a higher demand vehicle (and thus less be apt to make a good deal on?):

4 cylinder EX-L sedan

or

4 cylinder EX-L sedan with navigation?

thanks
  • jmaxejmaxe Posts: 197
    It appears that anything with Navigation is in relatively short supply so your chances of getting the best deal are greater with a non-Nav because that's mostly what the dealers have available.