Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• robmarchrobmarch Posts: 482
    I did on my 96 nissan when it was low on R134a refrigerant. I have a gauge that checks the refrigerant pressure and they have little cans of refrigerant that you can use to recharge it.

This probably isn't the problem with yours, though you could have the dealer check it. It might be a problem with the thermostat, temperature control, or a switch in the compressor? I'm far from an expert though, so I'd take it to the dealer.
  • I have a 99 CRV with almost 106,000 miles on it. Today, after driving in pretty major heat and humidity for an hour, cold water began to drip on my right foot about every 20 minutes. Then we found moisture in and behind the glove compartment. Finally, the check engine light went on. Guess I need to get it to the dealer, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what this might be or whether it's ok to drive it in the meantime. Thanks!
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Posts: 318
    We are having a problem with our 2002 CR-V.

Once the car gets into 4th (top) gear it is nearly impossible to get the car to accelerate beyond a snails pace. The problem is that when we press on the gas the engine doesn't seem to respond accordingly to the input. The only way we can force a downshift is to take the vehicle out of Overdrive.

We've had it looked at once and of course they didn't find anything wrong with it.

This is especially noticeable at 55mph+

What do you guys think? Is it a transmission or drive-by-wire problem?
  • auburn63auburn63 Posts: 1,162
    Doesnt sound like anything I have seen as of yet but you may want to go and have it looked at, road tested to see whats up..
  • I took my '03 EX to Town and Country Honda in Barre, VT to have the brakes looked at, since the rear rotors and pads were very worn and causing a lot of noise (see previous post). They replaced the pads and rotors, and performed a few TSB upgrades as well, no charge. Best of all, and catch this: I told them that the car HAD to be ready today so I could take it on a trip. They didn't have the right rotors in house, so they put on after market ones just so that I would have the car for the trip. They said that I can return whenever I want in September and they will put in the Honda rotors for me, again at no charge. THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is SERVICE.
  • Just took my 2003 CR-V with 14000 miles in today because air conditioner not working (lights come on but little or no cold air). Dealer just called and said compressor bad. Installing a new one under warranty. They also checked VIN and found shift cable recall. They are performing it at the same time.
  • took my '03 LX in today and had the "throttle cable" and "transmission cable" problems taken care of. Seemed to be no big deal, a little "tape and grease" was all. Almost a joke. I think the work order showed .2 and .3 labor hours alloted. Although I do have the "brake caliper clunk" I was told it has not been confirmed for my VIN. I did not have time to press the issue, so will wait and see. I just hope the "tape and grease" for what it seems will take care of the problems.
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    So I waxed the CR-V this weekend. I was very unhappy to see the paint on the roof was applied VERY poorly. Directly behind the sunroof there is a patch about a foot in diameter that has almost no pigment. Our V is eternal blue and the patch is gray with some blue in it. It's shiny and smooth but it looks like crap. I don't know if the paint wasn't applied thick enough or if there was a problem with the paint. Frankly I don't care, as long as it holds up well. I can't see it unless I stand on the door sill and look. Lately it seems, Honda paint jobs have sucked. My mom's Civic EX makes me wonder if a monkey was holding the paint gun.

Honda had better get this stuff sorted out or they won't be the place I start my shopping next time.
  • pc4268pc4268 Posts: 3
    I am about to buy 2003 CRV. but after i read the post here about issues like coasting problems/brakes wearing off/ alignment I am having second thoughts

How does it stand quality vise agianst Toyota Highlander
    the coasting issue is a matter of personal preference, not a problem with the car.

I'm not sure what you mean about brakes wearing. Some cars do have a little "click" noise when braking the first time after reversing, due to the pads moving slightly in the calipers. This is not a safety issue, just a little "quirk" of the car. It doesn't affect the braking at all.

Alignment issues are common on all new cars. truck transport can cause cars to be out of alignment on delivery to the customer. If yours is out, the dealer will fix it for free.

I think it's a good car, and would buy another. Actually, it would be a close race between the CRV and the new Forester XT. My biggest complaint is that I'm not a fan of the tires that come on it stock. I recently replaced mine after 30k.
  • I have a 2001 CR-V LX. I'll be renting a Uhaul 4x6 trailer in two weeks to help move my stuff to college. I've recently purchased a Class I hitch and the wiring harness.

In the manual, it said that there's a socket to plug in the brake and turn signal lights from the trailer and it is located in the left cargo area ... eh where exactly is it?

Thanks!
  • pc4268pc4268 Posts: 3
    is it possible to add Moonroof and deep tinted glass to a CRV LX. They are not listed as options and how much they would cost. EX is 3K more than LX which has thes and much more. Any thoughts..
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Weaselgx - It's behind the speaker. Working it through the cargo floor is the part that is tricky to describe. Send me an e-mail and I can direct you to detailed instructions.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    I bought the EX because it had extra features I wanted (roughly in order of importance):

1. ABS
    2. Distributed braking system
    3. Side impact air bags
    4. Realtime AWD
    5. Multi-CD
    6. Alloy rims
    7. Tinted glass
    8. Moonroof

For the 3K you actually get a lot of value...
  • darrydarry Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 CRV, automatic,~68,000 miles. The other day as we were driving, we lost complete power. Best description is similar to a power out age or pulling a power cord, no warning, all of a sudden it just dies (radio still works though). It did start right up again, but we experienced this 2 more time before getting it to a mechanic. The mechanic couldn't find anything wrong, kept the car all day, drove it, everything was fine. 15 minutes after picking it up, it happened again. Dealer/mechanic says that unless they can reproduce the problem, there isn't much they can do. I drove it for a couple of hours today, hoping that it would happen again so I could call the dealer, but it acted fine. Any ideas on what the issue is?
    I saw a similar post on a new Element in which it turns out a "cable from the fuel line" was loose (whatever that means):

http://www.hondaelement.org/showthread.php?s=2fde98b5f96ffc749406- 15c423e2d70a&threadid=2796

Just a thought...
  • theracoontheracoon Posts: 666
    There is an ignition switch recall on 1997-2000 CR-Vs (along with a large number of other Honda vehicles). One of the things that can happen is the engine can stall suddenly, and then be able to be restarted immediately. Contact your Honda dealer and give them your VIN number to see if you're covered, then schedule a visit to have it fixed. It should be completely free of cost to you.

Good luck.
  • Recently I purchased a CRV EX 4WD and drove over a couple of weeks some 670 miles. The other day, I was driving down a road at about 35mph and suddenly I found myself going through trees and rolling down a ravine. The drivers behind me reported that just before the car went off the road the R front end seemed to dip and the car then veered into the Oaks and the ravine. I have no memory of this. My question is, What the hell could have happened? The insurance company has found no defects, or at least have not reported such to me. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Is there something different about driving the CRV rather than a different SUV with 4wd? Any ideas. The tyres are all okay. But the tyre on the R front was unseated from the wheel.
    pot hole? maybe the front right tire left the road?

I'm at a loss here.

if the tire on the right front was unseated from the wheel, it's possible that could have been what triggered the accident, rather than a result of the accident.

I'd chalk it up to bad luck or freak accident.

Hope everyone's ok, good luck with the insurance.
    Do you mean the tire rim was off of the axle or that the rubber was separated from the rim?
    The former might indicate the lug nuts weren't tightened, and the latter a tire failure.