Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    With those miles, KBB has it at $32k... maybe on the high side, but at least it's another opinion. Getting just one number is tough -- a bunch of numbers should be used together as a guide. If the car is in nice shape and drives nice and is Certified, the $28905 number seems pretty fair... but of course, you should always try to get what you can. With the 2.9% they are offering on 02 5-series, you could have a fantastic car for a relatively low payment.

Also, since the 2006 5-Series have been out for almost 5 months, the 2002 models have already taken their depreciation hit....
  • Options
    edinphilaedinphila Member Posts: 11
    I just picked up an '02 525i with 19,500 miles, 5-SP, PP, SP, CWP. Dealer was asking $30,900. They were pretty firm and only came down about $800-and the salesman threw in the overpriced after-market cup holder. They did give me a decent deal on my trade. $28,905 seems VERY reasonable. With 2-3 years/79,000 miles of warranty and 2.9% financing, you should jump all over that.
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I didn't realize the wagon was offered in this less expensive version yet....Is it decontented at all? What's the list price?
  • Options
    are you referring to the new 2006 model? If so, there is only one 5-Series wagon: 530xiT
  • Options
    cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    This a very good price. If you can get them down, more power to you, but even if you can't you are getting a very good deal. (My dealer has two 02 525s with 30K+ miles for $28,950 each, firm.)
  • Options
    breterstbreterst Member Posts: 18
    Shopping for a 525xi or 530xi in the NY/NJ area. How much over Invoice is a good deal? How much over invoice have some of you paid on a 525xi or 530xi recently? And if in the NY area which dealer?
  • Options
    wingwing Member Posts: 7
    i am not looking for a fast performance vehicle if iam spending 50k should i go for the extra horsepower or is that engine in the 525 adequate for the weight and size of vehicle. i would really appreciate pros and cons. also the premium sound is it worth spending the extra money and is it a harmon cardin sytem for premium or put my own after market sytem in. please any feed back would be appreciated. thank you
  • Options
    turnbowmturnbowm Member Posts: 76
    wing,

Only you can decide if 215hp (versus 255hp) will satisfy your needs. The 525i is basically a detuned 530i..... both use the same basic 3.0L engine. Keep in mind that the extra coin for the 530i also buys you bigger brakes and other differences that are not visible.

As for the Premium Sound (Logic 7) option, this was a no-brainer for me. The extra coin buys you additional speakers, a 7-band equalizer and simulated surround sound with selectable sound modes (Concert & Theater). The improvement over the standard system is NOT trivial! Everyone who has heard the system, including my wife who has a Nakamichi system in her Lexus, are blown away! Demo the standard and the Premium Sound system and let YOUR ears decide if it's worth the extra money.

Martin
  • Options
    isabelleisabelle Member Posts: 3
    ...has anyone worked on a deal for a 550 in the Houston area?...
  • Options
    What dealer did you buy from?
  • Options
    Yes please give me the name of the dealership and sales person you used to buy your 525XI . I am looking to buy a 530XI and would like to purchase it for 500-1000 over invoice.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    premium sound is really good...Extra hp also, but that is really a close call.. tony
  • Options
    tcoztcoz Member Posts: 16
    I'm not sure about the xi but I just got my new 530xiT for $1000 under invoice at Levin BMW in Schererville, Indiana. It might be worth a call.
  • Options
    hihomikehihomike Member Posts: 111
    I bought a 2005 BMW 525i, then traded it in in April for an 06 530i, due mainly to the lack of sufficient horsepower and a better sound system. My new 530i is outstanding with just the right horsepower and a Premium Logic 7 system that is one of the best I've heard in an automobile. The larger brakes, standard adaptive front headlights, etc., was worth the additional 4000+ dollars.

The 06 525i is a bit more spirited with the 215 hp, however my experience dictated my opting for the 255 hp version.
  • Options
    wilsontourwilsontour Member Posts: 3
    I am going to sign a 36 month leasing deal with the dealer on a 2006 525i with auto transmission and cold weather package. It is $1000 down pay, first payment $590 + $55 title and plate fees, after then $590 each month. All the fees are included in the $590. No security deposit. 12000 miles per year. How do you think about this deal? Shall I go ahead sign it? Your comments are highly appreciated.
  • Options
    What is the MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    flatout18flatout18 Member Posts: 9
    I am looking to purchase a 2006 530i with premium package and automatic. I am not sure about the sport package. In any event, I wanted to know what I should expect to pay over invoice. Is is correct to negotiate a BMW on the basis of a margin over invoice or is this not the norm? All my other cars (Toyota, Infiniti) have been negotiated on the basis of x dollars over invoice. Am I expecting too much? It seems to me that the TMV is a lot higher than the deals people have been taliking about on this forum.

Also, any opinions on the sport package would be helpful.
  • Options
    The MSRP is $45220. If I go for the purcahse option, it will be $42000. Thanks!
  • Options
    I don't know how much of that is sales tax, but considering the low sale price of $42K, it seems a little high..

Your upfront payment... Is it $1000 plus the 1st payment and title fees? Or is it just $1000 total?

Assuming it is an extra $1000....

$45,220 MSRP
    $42,000 Selling price
    $41,625 Cap cost (selling price minus $1000 upfront + $625 acq.fee)
    3yr/36K lease
    62% residual
    .0016 base money factor (.00175 with no security deposit)

Payment = $500/mo. + tax.. If you live in a state like Illinois or Texas that taxes the entire cost of the car, then maybe your payment looks okay.. But, if in a state that just taxes the payment, then I'd say they are marking up the money factor..

That is a very attractive selling price, though..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks vey much for the analysis. Yes, the $1000 is stand alone. not including the first month paymnet and title fee. The sales tax is about 7% in my state in MO.
  • Options
    layer3switchlayer3switch Member Posts: 14
    Folks,

I would really appreciate some feedback on this one:

I have a 2002 530i with about 25k miles on it. I've decided I'd really like a car with Sat radio and navigation, as well as AWD. I've driven both the 525xi and 530xi and really could not tell a difference in horsepower/performance. Especially over my current 530... Granted, the test drive was mainly on residential streets, but tough to discern any real difference. So, my first question is... Is the 530i worth the extra money? Long term will I regret going with the 525i? My driving is about 60% highway 40% local.

Also, what can I expect to get on my 530i (cold weather, xenons) as a trade in.(I live in NJ) Finally... What is considered a good deal on the 525xi and 530xi with Nav and sat?

Many, many thanks in advance for any guidance....
  • Options
    Dunno how much dealers mark up what they take in trade, but 02 530is (most of which have more miles than yours) are going for ~$30,000, give or take a thousand or two.

Only you can determine whether you will miss the extra power of the 530 if you go with the 525. And the only way to do that is to drive both cars under as close to your regular conditions as possible. Then go with whichever one you will regret not having chosen six months down the line. (But are you really sure you want to ditch your 02?)
  • Options
    beemertimebeemertime Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2002 530ia with Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, 28000 mileage, used certifed with dealer asking $33,900.

what is a good price for this? how much should i be asking for?
  • Options
    grnfishgrnfish Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at an 06 525i. I was wondering if I should go for the Active Cruise. I do alot of highway driving and tested the Infinity M with it. I thought it was cool but I don't know if it is worth the extra coin. Anyone have any experience with it?
  • Options
    bimmerdudebimmerdude Member Posts: 20
    Hi folks,
    I am new to this forum, but I love what I read here. So many knowledgable and nice people around here.
    I am in the market for a new 06' 530i with sound/nav in Nor-California.
    Here are my questions:
    1. Is $1000 over invioce a good deal or I can do better? What is the invoice for above config?
    2. 0 down or not?
    3. What is the best money factor?
    4. I am the 1st time lease customer, do you need to call/cut a deal with BMWFS or bank before you go to the BMW dealer? or it all can be done in the dealer?
    5. What are the other normal amount for other fees?
    6. Please share any other advice you want me to know.

Thanks in advance,
    Harry
  • Options
    layer3switchlayer3switch Member Posts: 14
    Folks,

Just got a price from the same dealer I've bought 2 other BMWs from of $54,400 for the following car:

2006 530xi
    Steptronic
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Sat
    Navigation
    Includes destination charge

Car is still in Germany and due in mid Nov or so. Dealer is located in Southern NJ.

Dealer also offered me $24,300 for my 2002 530i with 26K miles on it.

Would love some advice on what to do...
  • Options
    richardk2richardk2 Member Posts: 4
    Here are the proposed terms on a 2006 525Xi - premium & cold weather, xenon, satellite radio

MSRP 50815
    Negotiated price 48815
    Down payment 2500
    Residual 30849
    36 months/15000
    Money factor 0.0020

Lease payment $622 ($660 including 6% tax)

With $5,000 down, the payment is $548 ($581 with tax)

Any comments, thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    For one thing, I would be selling the 02 530 on my own. You can probably get at LEAST $29K.
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    For a perspective although not bmw, I have the cruse control that works off a laser...I find it worthwhile when I am driving in a lot of traffic and am tired and not aggressive. Just get over in next to last right lane and pay attention but not anticipate just react......If you set it at say seventy eight and just drive along, it will ever so slightly slow down when it senses another car or truck way up ahead...If you don`t pay attention you will find yourself going along at seventy and hardly have noticed it.....I think overall it is expensive for what it does, but if you get it, this is the experience....Tony
  • Options
    beemertimebeemertime Member Posts: 20
    Hi i found a dealer with a 2002 bmw 530i with 28,000miles, cold premium, sport package, and premium sound, rest standard options with certified asking for $33,900.

What is a good price for this? i checked edmunds.com, which listed around $31,500 for it certifed.

What is a fair value? i lived in CT.
  • Options
    bimmerdudebimmerdude Member Posts: 20
    Hi Kyfdx (or any other gurus),
    The dealer does not have the car I am looking for. My question is that if I order a car now and have it delivered in 8 weeks, does this car count as a sale for this month or as a sale at the time of delivery? I understand the best time to buy a car is around Xmas, so should I order the car now or wait until Xmas to order? What is the best time to order a new car? Please help, Thanks very much!
  • Options
    milkenmilken Member Posts: 10
    Kyfdx -
    My one question...Is the excess mileage charge negotiable or is it set in stone by BMW finance? Is it too overpresumptuous to assume that you could negotiate the excess mileage down to around the price per mile at which the car depreciates (530i is about $0.10 per mile, give or take), lease a car on a low mileage lease and simply pay the difference at the end of the lease (assuming you are good at saving) thus delaying the monetization of a portion of your payments for 3 years?.. thanks
  • Options
    The per mileage charge is set by BMWFS and isn't negotiable....
  • Options
    Yeah.. what he said..

You can buy miles cheaper upfront (rolled into the lease payment), than paying for them at the end of the lease... but, if you don't use them all, then it won't save you any money...

In general.... Most BMW leases are prohibitively expensive if you drive over 15K mi./yr.. YMMV (literally)

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    gap4jasongap4jason Member Posts: 54
    Hi -

What are the October MF's?

Also I'm looking for a 2006 525i with auto and Premium Pkg. I am in Southern California. What should I expect to pay from invoice? Any LA or Ventura County dealers you guys would recommend?
  • Options
    '06 525i...

3yr/45K lease

Residual 60%

Base Money Factor .0016

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    this is what's offered to me
    2006 525i
    Auto
    Premium Pkg
    3 Years @ 12k per year.
    MSRP: 46470
    Sell: 44165 ($2305 under sticker)
    Residual: 62%
    Money: .00190
    Drive Off: 1911.91
    Payment:569.15 + TAX

I mentioned to him that I want the base money factor of .0016. This is what he said...."Everything is negotiable, the base money factor is .00160 but we pay .0015 more so the actual cost of money to us is .00175. In any case we won't letthat stand in our way."

So what does that really mean? Also, is this a good deal? Is there any more room to negotiate here? What are factors should I ask him?

thanks!
    jason
  • Options
    ktranktran Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I am looking to purchase a 2006 530i with Prem Sound, Prem Pack, Navig, Auto STEPTRONIC, Dest with (MSRP $54,170, Invoice $49,665). Could you tell me how much over invoice I should expect for this vehicle? Any advice on dealership would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    Uh... no idea what he means by that...

Does your upfront money include a security deposit? If not, that would bump the MF to .00175... Unless that is it, I have no clue...

Using your numbers, I come up with $565/mo.+tax..

@ .00175. the payment would be $554/mo. +tax
    @ .00160, the payment would be $543/mo. +tax

His wording would make me assume they will negotiate a little more.. If you aren't making a security deposit, then just ask him for $15/mo more off the monthly price... But, I'd make the deposit, and ask them for $543/mo.+tax..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    02 530s, most with more miles than this one, are going for around $30,000, give or take a thousand or two. I bought mine in December with 45K miles for $32,950, but that didn't include a warranty because the dealer who sold it to me is not a franchise BMW dealer; he sells only used BMWs. The $33,900 ought to be negotiable, but it's definitely in the ball park. How much are you willing to spend? Make an offer; if it's too low, they'll let you know.
  • Options
    hornfan5hornfan5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm debating an '01 540...fully loaded, nav, premium, sport. Immaculate. 18k miles, $30k. Private party.

I feel the price and mileage is excellent, but my concern is the age of the car. Without an extended warranty, should I be concerned? Any thoughts appreciated.
  • Options
    low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    I am also looking to purchase the same except with Sport Pack and no Nav. I am in No.Cal.

I have heard that $1500 over invoice is the norm.

How are you planning to purchase the vehicle, over the internet requesting for bids or simply going in the dealer (which I hate since it takes so long to get a deal done).
  • Options
    kyfdx -

This is what my drive off includes......

Bank Acquisition fee $878.75
    TAX on Bank Acquisition fee: 68.06
    Ca License Fee: 349.00
    1st Month Payment 616.10/642.15
    $1911.91/1937.96

Here's the rest of the details again:
    2006 525i
    Auto
    Premium Pkg
    3 Years 12k per year.
    MSRP: 46470
    Sell: 44165 ($2305 under sticker)
    Residual: 62%
    Money: .00190
    Drive Off: 1911.91
    Payment:569.15 + TAX

what do you think?
  • Options
    Couple of things... with no security deposit... the base money factor is .00175, so your salesperson was being honest about that..

Also, the base acquisition fee is $625, with a maximum of $825.. So, you have something weird going on there..

Also, I still get $565.xx/mo. for the way they have it structured, not $569, but that is fairly minor..

If it were me... I'd insist on $625 for the acquisition fee and add it into the cap cost.. Then, I'd make a security deposit.. and also insist on the (now) base MF of .0016..

This would give you a cap cost of $44,790.. and a payment of about $562/mo.+tax
    And.. should knock your drive-off number down by about $300, plus you'll get that $650 security deposit back at the end of the lease...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx - thanks for the replies

how much security deposit should I give?

thanks!
  • Options
    kyfdx -

I re-read your email and it answered my security deposit question? $650 right?

thanks
  • Options
    kyfdx - few more q's?
    do they tax the acquisition fee?
    also, how important is it to pay the security deposit? What is it for? From the deal given to me - no security deposit was required......

Thanks again!!!

jason
  • Options
    ktranktran Member Posts: 10
    Thanks. I will contact a few dealers in Nov. to request for some quotes. I am hoping to get some decent Internet offers prior to going to the dealer with a firm price. I have done this before when we bought our Sienna with great success. Not sure if the BMW dealers will provide Internet pricing. We are still waiting to get the money from the insurance company for our car which was totaled in a recent accident. Please let me know what deals you are able to get in NorCal. Thanks.
  • Options
    rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Hello gang, my brother and I are going to the BMW dealer this weekend to look at the 550i. I am would like to know if anyone in this forum (or if you know of anyone) that have purchased (not lease) it. How much and what options did it has?

Thanks

R