Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mikest2mikest2 Posts: 4
    I bought a 2003 6i yesterday and I didn't notice until I got it home that the clutch pedal is irritatingly high. Is this common, or should I simply have the dealer make a clutch adjustment? Never had a similar issue with our 1993 MX-3 which is still going strong after 165k.

Thanks.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Posts: 431
    Test drive?
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Posts: 350
    With 675 miles on it, and 3 weeks of ownership, the dreaded "check engine" light came on this morning on my way to work. Filled the car up on Saturday, and there's still 3/4 tank of gas, so it's not due to an almost-empty gas tank. I pulled over, turned the car off and removed/retightened the gas cap, and the light came back on when I started it again. So when I got to work I called my dealer and the Mazda service guy called me back and I'm taking it in tomorrow first thing in the morning for them to check.

So what causes these, if there's nothing wrong in the end? What a pain in the you-know-what.
    To follow up on my previous msg, I've only had experience w/ 1 clutch pedal for the past 10 yrs, so maybe a clutch pedal gets lower as the car gets older and I got used to it? Maybe this is why my 6 pedal seems high. I had a long test drive with another 6 before my wife decided she didn't like the color so I took a shorter drive with the one we bought and didn't notice anything.

Is there a standard height that a clutch pedal should be (relative to the brake pedal)? Has anyone had theirs adjusted - it doesn't seem like it would be complicated.

Any helpful comments would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    ... and one that has been echoed with various degrees of agreement to your view across various boards.

IMHO, the clutch and brake pedals are at a certain height, and it is the accelerator that is lower (by over half an inch). It does feel a little high (the gap/difference) but somethign I got used to quickly. I can now feather the accelerator on uphill stop signs and red lights, although heel-and-toe may be out of the question!

Some people have had great luck and like the result when adding on a set of pedals (addons or inserts), with a thicker accelerator. Inf act, one person (maybe stretch?) bought a whole set, but merely added the accelerator pedal (removed the other 2) and likes the overall feel much better now. The seat and steering wheel adjustment can be used to compensate quite well now, and he can heel-and-toe!
  • heyjoe11heyjoe11 Posts: 20
    I hear a very noticeable, moderately high-pitched, whine(almost a whistle)coming from my Mazda while cruising in fourth or fifth gear. The vehicle is a Mazda 6s with the manual transmission. If I take my foot off the gas the noise *disappears*. Touch the gas pedal every so slightly: the noise comes back. Pushing down on the clutch also makes the noise *disappear*, even while stepping on the gas pedal to keep the engine at cruising RPM.

I started hearing the noise after I put 900 miles on the car. At that time it also became somewhat more difficult to put the car into 2nd gear. I don't get a grinding noise but there is more resistance to entering the gear than when the car was new. I was actually expecting the shifting to get smoother with more miles on the odometer. The car now has over 1,600 miles and the noise is still there. I haven't taken it to my local dealer yet because I don't expect them to hear anything this subtle. Most dealers won't acknowledge a transmission problem until after you have the car towed in. I'm looking for any insight, suggestions, comments or questions about this problem. I would also like to know if other 6s or 6i owners with the manual transmission have noticed a similar whine. The more I learn prior to approaching the dealer the greater the chance I can get them to fix this problem.

I appreciate any and all help from the wonderful members of these Edmunds message boards. I have been following the Protege and Mazda6 boards for over two years. The community of people sharing their knowledge and enthusiasm for Mazda vehicles played a great part in my decision to buy a Mazda.

Thanks for your help
  • seafseaf Posts: 339
    I think you should take it into the dealer, even if they refuse to do anything right now, it'll be documented when you tried to resolve it. And if by chance later you have a major problem, you can go back and say that you noticed it ahead of time and it wasn't something you did to cause the problem.
  • sry110sry110 Posts: 9
    I think I have experienced a similar sound in my 6s M/T. I have to have the music off and the windows up to notice it, but it's a very high-pitched 'whistle' when I am applying gas to the engine. The sound I am hearing rises and falls right along with engine RPM. For some reason I seem to think it becomes exaggerated when the air conditioning is on, but I am not sure so I will check that out tonight. It might be worth getting checked out though.

As far as shifting into 2nd is concerned, I have noticed that the gearbox does become very 'notchy' (to quote from every Mazda6 review ever published) above 3500-4000 RPM. Sometimes it catches me off guard and I come close to letting off the clutch before I manage to get it into 2nd. I'm just now getting used to the fact that i need to allow more time forthe shifting process at higher RPMs.

Anyway, I'll let you know what I notice when I drive around tonight.
  • rmgpsurmgpsu Posts: 11
    I'm assuming you're referring to the actual clutch pedal location, and not the "engage point" of the clutch. I took a crude measurement in my 6s manual and found the clutch pedal to be about 1" or so closer to the steering wheel than the brake pedal. Visually, it looks like less, but that's what I came up with. Not sure if that's an industry standard or not, or if adjustment is possible.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Posts: 431
    I would have the dealer look at it. As was stated before, even if they send you away and you have problems after the warranty the documentation of your visits will greatly enhance your position in a claim. You might also request they check the level of gear lube in the MT, and replace it. Not enough gear lube can produce a whine.

Mark.
  • heyjoe11heyjoe11 Posts: 20
    Wow, I hit the enter key instead of the left shift by accident and suddenly a mysterious post appears in the forum.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Please keep them coming. After this has been discussed to death I will be taking the car to the dealer. I definitely want to get my issue logged in their database. I too was thinking that the problem could be low fluid and that I should ask for them to check the level of the fluid. I especially like to hear comments from other 6s owners with the manual trans because our unit is different from the one in the 6i. Please, anyone with a perspective on the issue chime in.
  • ian2ian2 Posts: 168
    Has anyone hit the panic button by accident? It's kind of annoying at 7:30 in the morning. On Honda's remote, the button is smaller and more recessed.
  • aprilnapriln Posts: 25
    My husband hit it by accident while we were in the car. Very exciting. =) Otherwise, I've been able to avoid it, but since this is my first car remote, I've been a little extra careful with it.
  • rmgpsurmgpsu Posts: 11
    I try not to hit the panic button until at least 8:30 am.
  • toolman02toolman02 Posts: 59
    heyjoe11,

I get this from my MT too. It's pretty quiet and I only hear it if the radio is off. Not sure if it's actually a problem or just a design flaw.
  • gkramer61gkramer61 Posts: 1
    FYI On my 6 the rattle in the drivers door was caused by the door latch cable and the door lock cable inside the door. The two cables were vibrating against each other. A little electrical tape and every thing is A-OK.
    Thanks guys, my mind is now at ease. I agree re: the accelerator height, ashutoshsm. And thanks for the measurement, rmgpsu. Clutch feels fine now, maybe a little pinch of "buyer's remorse" crept in for a bit.

Good luck with your 6's & hopefully I can be of some help someday (although I wouldn't count on it!)...
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Mine had it....until I moved the CDs and the tire gauge that were in the door pocket.

Getting some audio equip later this week...I hope for a few more rattles like that.
  • stuemo1stuemo1 Posts: 2
    Anyone have engine problems with the 4 cyl? Looking at buying one but the cast iron sleeved aluminum block kind of gives me the creeps. Who makes the 4? I know the 6 is Fords... Thanks.