Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    bryncerddbryncerdd Member Posts: 29
    When considering the A-spec (high performance) dealer-installed option for a 2006 Acura TL, I was quoted a price of $3500, materials and labor. Considering that that is slightly more than 10% of the cost of the vehicle, I hesitate. In an earlier message (can't recall the address) the writer referred to a price of $800. Does any reader have any reliable information on the cost of this option, or on its efficacy? Too harsh? In my view, the TL has the power, just a little more lean in hard cornering than I like. Coming from a BMW, maybe I'm spoiled? Any comments appreciated.

Bryncerdd
  • Options
    bob289bob289 Member Posts: 14
    I was wondering if anyone had problems installing OEM i-pod link or back up sensor. Im planing to take in my TL to get those 2 parts installed per its was part of my purchase in the first place. my concern is that the install will go funky and ill end up with a rattle, loose functions, and or something worse. being that this is not an easy install ( being told by the sales person ). Anyone had any problems? thanks in advance -bob
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    The Bridgestone EL42 on my 2006 TL seem fine - ride, handling, traction (wet and dry) are all better than what I expected. Granted after reading all the bad things about the Bridgestone EL42 I expected they would be pure crap - but go over to the Tire Rack web site - and read the reviews - most are very good.

I normally replace the stock tires on the day I buy the car - straight to Discount tire - they will give you about a $100 credit each (good idea to talk to them in advance). This time I decided to keep them - glad I did.
  • Options
    slimjim2slimjim2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 6-speed TL with the A-spec package. I know that the stock engine set-up includes a cold air intake, but I am investigating aftermarket Cold-air intakes. Dyno results have shown 5-13 hp increases depending on the brand(according to the manufacturer's testing).

Just wondering if anybody has gone this route. I know the engine will sound differently; any discernible difference in power, MPG, torque?
  • Options
    tom19382tom19382 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
    I have an 06 TL 6 speed and was wondering if anyone else has ever towed with one fo these cars. I know it can be done and there are many towing hitches available online for them. I am considering getting the lower rear bumper spoiler as well as the other lower body spoilers. I was wondering if anyone has a trailer hitch on a TL with this lower spoiler on the rear bumper or if it would not be possible to install due to hitch and bumper clearance issues. Thank you for your help.
    ~Tom
  • Options
    bdemarrbdemarr Member Posts: 25
    Tom: I am not sure that is a good idea with a front wheel drive car. Even though there are hitches available, I wonder if the dealer/manufacturer would recommend it? I would check with them before proceeding....Brad
  • Options
    tom19382tom19382 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Brad,
    I did check with the dealer when I was buying the car. I will only be towing a waverunner with it which weighs about 650 lbs with the trailer. They said since you could easily have over 650 lbs inside the car if it were full of passengers, they didn't see any problem with it. Anything larger than that and they said it is not recommended since you could cause overheating or drivetrain damage. The owners manual says they don't recommend towing, but the dealer said that manuals are written by lawyers and their main concern is being sued by someone who tows something too big and causes an accident or something like that. Thanks for your help and have a great afternoon.

~Tom
  • Options
    carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I just got one of the last of the '06 TLs. I didn't get the navi mostly because I want a navi that's linked to real time traffic that can reroute me according to tie-ups etc. I know the '07 has that capability, but couldn't see springing for the '07 price and the navi.

Now I'm looking for an after-market navi/gps that is voice activated and tied to real time traffic. The only one I can find is a product called Novogo which is not available in the US. I think Pioneer makes one too that has to be installed in your dash... don't want to touch my dash.

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    recb1recb1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the iPhone from Apple, Inc with Cingular service will be compatible with the '06 TL? Even if it ends up not being compatible, I believe I must have one.

Thanks!!!
  • Options
    albert5albert5 Member Posts: 42
    Does anyone know what kind of cable to use to plug in the ipod nano into the car?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check this out: Acura TL Audio.
  • Options
    albert5albert5 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks Pat
  • Options
    animalsrushanimalsrush Member Posts: 62
    Yes you can , but please make sure that you use DVD-r .. The DVD+r don't work. I have currently six DVD-r in the cd changer that is about 500 songs.. I am happy
  • Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Do you buy the DVD-r with songs already on them, or do you burn the songs on the DVD?
  • Options
    mizunojudomizunojudo Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know if exhaust sytems made for the Acura Type-S also fit the normal TL?
  • Options
    spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    I am thinking about getting a 2007 TL type S. However, I don't like the 2007 Acura TL type S wheels. Does anyone know where is the best (least expensive) place to buy the OEM 18" Chrome look wheels. I looked through some of the on line sources and found only one source (http://www.acuraparts.net/SearchProduct.asp?Model=TL&catid=3375595087406987&yea- r=07&productdesc=18+inch+Chrome+Look+Alloy+Wheelthat it appears) that sells these rims for over $400 each. Can anyone recommend any other sources?

Thanks in advance.

Spyder
  • Options
    voxboyvoxboy Member Posts: 30
    Anyone know anything about dash kits? There are lots of manufacturers touting theirs as better than the rest. I'd love to get a personal recommendation from my Edmunds friends.
  • Options
    jkm900jkm900 Member Posts: 18
    Anyone purchased the side molding to keep the doors from getting dinged? I am torn on spending the extra $350 the dealer wants to install these things because I don't want to get a bunch of dings but I also think that the original lines of the TL look the best and when you put the side molding on it just doesn't look the same...help!
  • Options
    njvikenjvike Member Posts: 56
    Greetings! I have a 2007 Acura TL Type S and want to replace those stock wheels with something a little nicer. Perhaps in chrome. So far, it has been hell trying to find out if any wheels fit other than Ron Johns. My question is that if I do find a nice wheel, will going to a 19" tire & wheel combo take away gas mileage? What about speed performance like 0-60 or 1/4 mile? Will I need to have my Speedometer recalibrated? I have 235-45-17 and would like to upgrade to a 235-35-19.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    armanipatrickarmanipatrick Member Posts: 37
    I think the splash guards & mats are essential, but I didn't want to pay over $300 for these items from my dealer.
    I went on ebay and purchased 'em for $188 (including shipping) from Park Ave Acura (in Ohio, I think). The seller had excellent ratings and was communicative so I wasn't too worried about getting fake or old parts. I received it a couple of days ago. They are genuine, OEM parts -- brand spanking new. I saved about 120-130 quids. Of course, you may not need to go to ebay -- if you are a smart negotiator you can probably have your dealer throw in the propack for free =)
  • Options
    tl_2007stl_2007s Member Posts: 34
    I was wondering what people think about engine block heaters. I live in California where it does not get that cold. But there are days in winter, temperatures get low. I read that EBH helps the engine and battery in cold weather.
    After the installation, how is the cord accessed?
    Thanks,
  • Options
    jkm900jkm900 Member Posts: 18
    Engine Block Heaters really aren't necessary unless you live in climates where the temperatures frequently dip in sub-zero digits. I live in Chicago and have never needed an EBH. If you live in Cali it would definitely be a waste of money.
  • Options
    vivsethrrvivsethrr Member Posts: 8
    I GOT a black TL type S and i am debating between black 3M tint or Suntek's Carbon which would look better on a black TL and also which one is good so it doesnt interfere with navigation.
  • Options
    chkntonychkntony Member Posts: 38
    Does any of the Acura dealers do tint?
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    My Acura dealer does tint and 3m film, but they're not really the ones doing it.
    They have a service that comes in and does it for them.

You get the warranty coverage through Acura, but they outsource the work to someone else.

I'm sure this must differ from dealership to dealership though.
  • Options
    vivsethrrvivsethrr Member Posts: 8
    What can i do either to to the engine or exterior that wouldn't void my warranty? If i wanted to put my subs in the car and just that, is that k :lemon: ?
  • Options
    brune55brune55 Member Posts: 3
    Try "CD Now" or "Tower Records." I have seen DVD audio in those places..... :shades:
  • Options
    brune55brune55 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 TL Type S and I replaced all my crappy Bose speakers with Polk DB series speakers in the doors (components in front and coaxles in rear doors,) and they sound sweet. I also ordered the 8" DB series subwoofer to replace the rear deck Bose sub to complete the system. The factory head unit has ample enough power to run the DB's so I am not bothering to replace the head unit. As for the engine, you can replace the OEM cold air induction with an aftermarket and not void the warrantee. I am installing the INJUN cold air system on my TL-S. You should be OK on most exterior engine mods other than maybe the ECM
  • Options
    gvbgvb Member Posts: 45
    I've looked through a couple accessory stores at Acura dealerships, but have not seen any cargo nets specific to Acura TL's ('04 models and later). Are there factory made nets, or are they typically after-market products?
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Yes, there are factory made nets. Actually, your car should have come with one. ;)
  • Options
    Just spoke with an employee at one of the Acura dealerships and mentioned that Acura had no cargo net's available for TL's '04 and newer. I find that hard to believe. Especially since there are knobs located on the side walls of the trunk. Does anyone have a cargo net for their TL ('04 model or newer)? Not sure I can assume a cargo net from another model would work as well, since the dimensions for each model are most likely unique to themselves. If anyone has purchased a cargo net for their '04 or newer TL and works well, please let me know where I can pick one up.
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    My '05 came with one. I don't know if it was standard equipment.
  • Options
    Well, in gvb's defense, they're not even listed on Acura's website, in the accessory section.
    "Factory" accessories are always listed there.
  • Options
    Had a little trouble with the links, but was able to get to the correct place on E-Bay anyway that you're referring to. You're right. They do exist. Just not that easy to come by. Go figure?? Thanks for the info though!
  • Options
    new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    Hi all,
    What is a good price for an '07 trunk tray? I didn't get one when I bought my TL because the dealership was unwilling to negotiate with me and I refused to pay their inflated price.
    What websites besides ebay would be good to shop at?
  • Options
    Weathertech makes a really nice one for $109-.

I bought one for my G35 and I'm 100% happy with it.

Acura is getting $109- for theirs as well.. so that doesn't help your price reduction in any way.

Be cautious of the cheaper products... you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
  • Options
    skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    Anyone get body side molding? How does it look? Pics? Necessary?
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I found it necessary to have the BSM installed on my '05 TL after several "dings". Dealer installed it for $250-300. Looked great, sorry no pics
  • Options
    nringnring Member Posts: 97
    hi anyone. i leased a 2008 acura tl with navi for 3 years...the dealer is listing the Deck Lid Spolier for 567..they ofered to take off 20% so 453.60 total installed not including nj 7% tax...can i do better? is there any after market deck lid spoilers i can get some how and have an outside installer put it on...453.00 seems a lot for a little spoiler...thanks..

Thanks,

Noah
    AskNoah@icloud.com

• Options
    just leasesd the new 08 tl with navi..i am a sirius sudscriber..until they merge if they ever do...anyone know if the xm satellite can be changed over to sirius that would integrated to the exsiting xm set up..if not i have to add the sirius head and new antenna..thanks

Thanks,

Noah
    AskNoah@icloud.com

• Options
    superdavidsuperdavid Member Posts: 24
    Yes, I have a 2005 TL w/nav. I have two blackberry phones and they would "pair" very well via bluetooth to TL.
  • Options
    superdavidsuperdavid Member Posts: 24
    Just purchased a TL 05 with nav. Everything works fine but when driving in Highway with the sunroof opened, the wind draft is real loud. Has everyone installed a sunroof visor? Does the wind draft reduce quite a bit with the visor on??
    The original OEM is over $100, I would say the from weathertech.com is better buy. Also considering the weathertech.com window visor which does not use any tape.
    Has anyone installed sunroof and window visors from weathertech.com for TL?
    Do they perform well?

Any feedback will be appreciated.
  • Options
    23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    if you LEASED the car, why would you want to spend close to $500 on an accessory, that becomes AFFIXED to the car, so that when you turn the car back in, they get it?

you should have leased a car that had what you wanted on it. adding accessories that you can't take off and/or resell is throwing money away. don't do it.

take your situation to the extreme. imagine you take this LEASED TL to a body shop, and get a custom body kit installed, custom paint work, all kinds of custom motor work, and you end up spending $10,000 on the car.

when the lease is up - AND if you turn the car back in, you just LOST all that.

now if you buy the car at the end of the lease, then you can keep it. so you are sort of forcing yourself into buying the car if you want to get back the "investment"...

honestly, i would save the money. a spoiler isn't worth $400.

if you have to get a spoiler, i'd look at local junkyards. you may find a totalled TL that has the spoiler on it, and they junkyard will sell it to you for $100. you might get lucky and it's the correct color. if not, a body shop will install and paint it to match for probably another $100. total cost $200.

or look for aftermarket generic wings.

the pricing on OEM stuff is a rip off.
  • Options
    good advice...i am looking for aftermarket and got a mechanice to install it for 100....200 total..worth it over 3 years...atkleast to me..

Thanks,

Noah
    AskNoah@icloud.com

• Options
    just leasesd the new 08 tl with navi..i am a sirius sudscriber..until they merge if they ever do...anyone know if the xm satellite can be changed over to sirius that would integrated to the exsiting xm set up..if not i have to add the sirius head and new antenna..thanks

Thanks,

Noah
    AskNoah@icloud.com

• Options
    I haven't put one (sunroof visor) on a TL, but we put one on my wife's Honda Accord.
    At lower speeds (45mph and lower), it definitely cuts down on that wind noise... you almost can't even tell the sunroof is open.

At highway speeds, it's still very loud.

Weathertech makes awesome stuff.
    The sunroof visors all install the same way. They have a few little clips that you just tighten with a screwdriver and your done.

The side window visors, like you said, use no tape. They clip in to the window slot and you're good to go.
    My friend has Weathertech visors on his X-Terra and they've held up for 2 years now and look are perform well. Nothing has ever come loose and there is no wind noise.

I have a Weathertech trunk liner in my G35 and it's also of very high quality.
    The fit is perfect, and it has held up very well to the abuse of my golf clubs and all the other stuff getting tossed around back there.

Good luck.
  • Options
    dsjqdsjq Member Posts: 2
    My best friend has a 2007 TL Type-S in Kinetic Blue Pearl. His birthday is coming up fairly soon and I have the perfect present idea for him -- if only I could find it! I am looking for those side window deflectors.

However, his TL has some beautiful tinted windows, and of course, the stock dark wheels that come with the Type-S, and clear window deflectors will look ridiculous. I'm trying to find some quality, long-lasting deflectors that come in smoke or black or some dark color that will match the rest of the car. WeatherTech does not appear to offer them in anything other than clear, and I have looked all over the web!

I would be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL if anyone could assist me in this endeavor.

Thank you in advance!
  • Options
    Go to Weathertech... the side window deflectors snap in and do not use double stick tape and everything I order from them seems to be top notch in quality.
    The ones they are selling are not clear... they're a light tint, which looks darker once on the car.
    If you want the dark smoked color, call them... they've got great customer service and will help you find what you need.

WeatherTech Acura TL Side Window Deflectors
This discussion has been closed.