Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• bpetbpet Posts: 16
    Thanks a lot for the additional info on the steering problems. I'm still working on that matter. If I ever get it resolved I will post the results here.
  • jim433jim433 Posts: 1
    I`m an owner of a 2001 f-250 super duty crew cab with the power stroke and 4x4.The problem is,when the truck is stopped with brake applied the steering wheel looses power after a half a turn in either direction. When brake pedal is released the power returns to steering wheels entire range of movement. I returned the truck to the dealer and was provided with the following:

HIGHER STEERING EFFORTS W/SITTING STILL W/BRAKES APPLIED SOME 1999-2001 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES AND 2000-2001 EXCURSIONS MAY EXHIBIT HIGHER THAN NORMAL STEERING EFFORTS WHEN THE VEHICLE IS AT A VERY LOW SPEED OR STOPPED WITH THE BRAKES APPLIED. THIS IS A NORMAL CONDITION AND MAY BE PRESENT WITH EITHER HYDROBOOST OR VACUUM-OPERATED BRAKES; THEREFORE REPAIR ATTEMPTS SHOULD NOT BE MADE.

This engineering design lacks "quality is job one" in my opinion. I would be interested in knowing if similar owners are experiencing the same problem.

Thank you for your time and attention,
    Jim433
    cacovey@worldnet.att.net
  • jcmdiejcmdie Posts: 595
    From what I've read on other boards this is a common problem. It has something to do with the steering geometry.
  • I am having a problem with my 2000 F250 4X4, CC, 7.3LPS. Have had the vehicle in the shop twice to have the front rotors turned in the first 12 months/26,000 miles. Dealer says that they can find no mechanical issue (sticking calipers, master cylinder, etc.) and that the problem must be that I am hauling/pulling heavy loads or I am driving with my foot on the brake pedal. I do not haul anything and do not tow anything. I certainly do not drive with both feet. Has anyone had any experience with this problem or have a suggestion for a remedy?

Even though the truck is still in the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty Period, Ford has stated that they will do no further warranty repairs. Obviously, this is still up for debate. I suggested that the rotors should be replaced, but that fell on deaf ears.

Look forward to any help you might offer.

dieselguy
    Normal shop practice, from wht I've read , is that they turn the rotors one time only and the second time should be a replacement. I would insist on replacement if you have any further problems.
  • rriorrio Posts: 2
    I own a Ford F-250 4X4 SD with a V 10. When I got it new, I was getting about 10.7 mpg. After the first oil change, mpg dropped to about 10.0 gradually, by the second oil change I was down to 9.7. After a round trip from Michigan to South Texas in December, I am down to about 9.3 or 9.2 mpg.

With the exception of the trips north in Michigan in the summer and the Texas trip in December,I use the truck to go to and from work on a daily basis; about 12 miles per day at average city driving and speeds of 25 to 35. In the vacation trips I load a truck camper and tow a 22' boat, about 8,000 lbs.

I have 10,500 miles on the vehicle, and while I am not really concerned about the cost of gas, I am not sure if I should be getting better mileage. Is this mpg OK, or what kind of mileage should I be getting given the way I am driving? Can I do anything to improve it?

Sincerely,
    Raul
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    F-350, V10, 4x4, CC,LWB, with 3.73 LS, 5spd -- unloaded around town11 mpg. Highway ~13-14 mpg. Best was around 15 - flat highway, cruise on at 60 mph, for 250 miles, with a tail wind. Towing 7000 lbs 8 mpg no matter what.

My mileage is usually worse in winter because of winter blend gasoline.
    Which rear end do you have? The 4.30 probably does a little worse than my 3.73.
  • paul04paul04 Posts: 2
    Howdy, im a rancher and a student here in tx, and i am considering a F-250 4x2 V10, or should i have a 5.4L instead, i haul and pull about 2 tons a week, but i am mostly concerned about the mpg, and i don't prefer the diesel, what opinions do ya'll have and what's an average mpg for a V10, cause i wouldn't mind having a V10 at all, thanks
  • bessbess Posts: 972
    The 5.4L should pull 4k without much problem..
    I have
    00' F250 xlt SC 4x2 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS rear.
    Averaging 15.5 mpgs in mixed city/highway driving.

The V10 is slightly worse (only by 1 or 2 mpgs) when empty..

When towing 4k, I bet the V10 would get about the same mpgs as the 5.4L, maybe even better at times.
  • rriorrio Posts: 2
    I have 3.73 rear axle, and I do live in the winter parts where we have the blended gas, as well as the fact that I usually aoto start 5 to 10 minutes at 6AM when the weather is cold, < 30. We've had a cold one this winter!!!

It may be that it's OK at 9.2 mpg! Other than this, I and my family enjoy the truck very much.

On another matter, is synthetic oil of MUCH value in this type of a power plant?
    If you change your oil ever 3k miles, either is just fine, offering similar protection.
    There are some dino oils that are actually better than some synthetics..

I'm currently using Amsoil's full synthetic 5w-30, changing the oil every 15k and the filter every 3k. This oil is rated for 25k miles or 1 year. I'm getting ready to do an oil analysis at 8k to make sure Amsoil's really working as well as it claims.
  • newf250newf250 Posts: 4
    I have a F250 psd 4x4, 158"wb. I experience a bas rear axle/prive shaft vibration between 5 mph and 13 mph. Has anyone experienced this? I have head of similar problems in excursions...Any suggestions?
  • bemisbemis Posts: 5
    Watch the metal cover that forms the top of the cupholder/ash tray in 2000 F250 (and others, I presume). This piece sits just forward of the cupholder when the unit is open and slides in with the cupholder when you push it home, presumably to keep hot ashes from the ash-tray from burning up the instrument panel. The front edge of that piece of metal is sharp and will cut your finger.
  • lilelmolilelmo Posts: 144
    I have a 2000 250 Super Duty 4X4 with V10 and auto. The truck has 28,000 miles and the springs started making noises about four months ago. The dealer replaced (they said) the spring tip isolators in the front and that stopped it for a while. They replaced the complete spring assemblies in the rear and that stopped that, pretty much, but it still squeaks some. Anybody got any ideas on what causes this annoying problem and what might fix it? Thanks for any help.
  • rsabakarsabaka Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 F250, 4x4,SC, Diesel w/6 spd manual transmission. I just took it in for my first oil change (4950) and I'm currently getting 20 mpg. Needless to say, I'm definitely pleased. Anyone else getting this kind of MPG?
  • rsabakarsabaka Posts: 8
    Has anyone had this problem...I have an F250 SD,4X4,SC. I went to pick up a load of grain and when the kid jumped from the loading dock to the tailgate, a good portion of the tailgate dented in. When I spoke with the body shop guy at Ford and asked what the tailgates were reinforced with, he said "nothing". My '78 F150 has never done this and it's been through a whole lot more than this. Looking at the '78 from the side, the tailgate is about 1/2 as wide as the '01. When I sent an email to Ford's customer service and suggested they reinforce it with the same white, dense, styrofoam looking stuff that's behind their car bumpers, they merely answered that my problem was not a manufacturer defect, and to contact my insurance company. I feel it's a design problem because the void between the layers needs some kind of support. It's almost twice as deep as my '78. Anyone else have any problems?
    I've actually had good luck with my superduty tailgate.
    I (with a friends help) accidently dropped a 300lb+ log on the the center of the tailgate.. Granted we didn't drop it far but the whole weight of the log was on the tailgate..
    I thought for sure we would have bent it, but its as straight as new.
    Needless to say, when I unloaded, I took the tailgate off..

I do have a tailgate protector, like black corregated plastic, on the tailgate to keep it from getting scratched all to crap when sliding stuff in and out.. Maybe this provided a little extra cushion.
  • Hey everyone hats up? I"be got a 2001 F-250 CC diesel with auto tranny.My truck is in the shop for the 2nd time for the same problem,which is the transmission. The first time they told me it was a bad solenoid and the fluid was dirty. As I pull up to a light or stop sign the motor stalls and they tell me the transmission is not downshifting to low gear but staying in a higher gear thus stalling the motor. It"I like letting the clutch out in 3rd or 4th gear from a stop. Anybody else having this problems? I"be only got 1300 miles on this rig and I"I very fustrated. Why pay 1095 extra for a lousy tranny. Where"s the alliyson tranny when you need it?
    Had the same exact problem on a corsica I owned. The solenoid went out and it wouln't downshift after coming to a stop. Very frustrating for such a little part to cause so much grief.
  • rlloyd2rlloyd2 Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 super duty ford f350 My truck makes
    the same creaks noise I. had it in 4 times at ford
    and it is not gone a way at all. and it is going
    back to ford to get it fix
This discussion has been closed.