Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Questions

Comments

• I've got a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel and I've had several Dodge owners pose the same comments to me. I've also taken it to the dealer and they've told me they can't hear it and nothing is wrong. I've also experienced a 25-30 percent drop in fuel economy across the board (highway and city driving). Again, they tell me nothing is wrong because nothing shows on the diagnostics. The dealerships (both of them local) have indicated Chrylers policy is that if nothing shows on the diagnostics, "nothing is wrong with it". They also indicated this policy prevents them from looking any farther into the problems. I suspect it's a computer thing but can't seem to get anyone to cooperate. I've been a Dodge diesel truck owner for many years and have always been a satisfied Dodge owner "until now". If you get any additional information, please let me know.
  • I've got a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel and I've had several Dodge owners pose the same comments to me. I've also taken it to the dealer and they've told me they can't hear it and nothing is wrong. I've also experienced a 25-30 percent drop in fuel economy across the board (highway and city driving). Again, they tell me nothing is wrong because nothing shows on the diagnostics. The dealerships (both of them local) have indicated Chrylers policy is that if nothing shows on the diagnostics, "nothing is wrong with it". They also indicated this policy prevents them from looking any farther into the problems. I suspect it's a computer thing but can't seem to get anyone to cooperate. I've been a Dodge diesel truck owner for many years and have always been a satisfied Dodge owner "until now". If you get any additional information, please let me know.
  • 06trx406trx4 Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 TRX4 with the 5.9L CTD. About 3 weeks ago I started the truck in the morning like always and I noticed that the lights dimmed and then got bright again and then dimmed and so on and so forth for about 3 minutes, and as I watch my volts meter it is cycling in sequence with the lights. It has been getting progressively worse to the point that if it sits for more than 3 hours it will cycle. I have also noticed that it affects the RPM if higher than 1000RPM. If anyone has an idea of what is going on please let me know.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    As this discussion is focused on the Cummins engine, you will probably get a faster response in our Dodge Ram: Transmission Problems discussion.

kcram - Pickups Host
    As this discussion is focused on the Cummins engine, you will probably get a faster response in our Dodge Ram: Lighting/Electrical Issues discussion.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • 2005 Dodge Ram pickup 3500 - Has anyone else had problems with water in the diesel? Did you replace injectors and if so, was it under warranty or did you pay repairs?
  • I have an 06 2500 diesel with 3400 miles on it and it is doing the exact same thing. I have had it back to the dealer twice. The second time back they have told me the same thing its normal operating conditions. Have you found a solution? Im taking it back tomorrow and talking to the service manager. If they do not fix the problem Im going to contact the attorney generals off. Lemon!!!!!!!
  • 06trx406trx4 Posts: 3
    No I have not found a solution. I have not taken to a dealer yet. I have about 4800 miles on mine and it started around 3000 miles. I have talked to my brother who is in school to be a mechanic and he has not heard of this problem and is shocked that this happened to a Diesel. Let me know what you find out. Thanks for the input.
    I replied to your post over in the Electrical discussion, but I'll repeat it here...

Completely normal and described in your owner's manual. Now that it's cold, the grid heater (which warms the intake air before it reaches the cylinder) will cycle for three minutes after the engine is started to allow better combustion and less smoke. You'll experience this all winter, nothing to worry about.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • We did end up having the cam replaced and the cp3 gear, and eventually the cp3 pump. The dealership was very hesitant to replace these things. We were told by the mechanic that the parts were expensive parts. You will really have to make a stink to get them to do the necessary repairs. We ended up having to switch service managers and talk to the dealership general manager. The noise seems to have subsided, but it's hard to tell. Our mileage has increased about a mile per gallon, nothing to drastic. On a side note, now our windshield is leaking and we have to return to the dealership to have that fixed. Anyone wanna buy a truck??!!!
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,596
    Completely normal and described in your owner's manual. Now that it's cold, the grid heater (which warms the intake air before it reaches the cylinder) will cycle for three minutes after the engine is started to allow better combustion and less smoke. You'll experience this all winter, nothing to worry about.

Yup, I second that. Perfectly normal, both of our 06 Ram 3500 Cummins do it now that its cold out. They do it on initial start up and if its really cold out they will do it even if they have only been shut off for 5 minutes and restarted. Nothing to worry about, enjoy your truck!
    Geez, Jolie... you have 2 of them? :surprise: My 05 3500 is quite enough for my cash flow!
  • No one in this forum offered a response but here was the issue if anyone else has a similiar problem.
    A module in Fuel Injector Pump went bad, the voltage was low when the diagnostic was run. About a $2500 dollar part at the Dealership. My cost? $100 deductible - It was still under warranty.
    Geez, Jolie... you have 2 of them? My 05 3500 is quite enough for my cash flow!

Yup, we have 2 of them, plus a 1997 F-250 Powerstroke. Three diesel trucks is hard on the wallet, lol. Actually the Rams have been great, the Powerstroke has a mind of its own and a hold on the wallet, it only sticks around because we own it for very cheap $$$.

We didn't intend on buying the 2 Rams, just the one I ordered, but a deal that was too good to pass up and a lot of money offered for hubby's aging V10 changed our minds. The $$$ saved on fuel is enough to pay for his Cummins, that V10 was killing us and we were killing it with the trailers we pull. I think last year he spent almost $10k in gas on that V10. :sick:

Below is a link to a picture of the 2 beasts, his is the red one, mine is black.

Trucks
    My 05 is a cross between the two of yours :) It's an SLT dually like his, but I went with a few more options to make it more Laramie-comfortable without having to spend Laramie money. You can see mine at my CarSpace page http://www.carspace.com/kcram

Amd goodness knows I never would have gone without fog lights... the headlights are just too high up.
    Amd goodness knows I never would have gone without fog lights... the headlights are just too high up.

I agree, I love my fog lights. We ended up with his truck in a rather strange way, thus he had to take what they had. It was the only 6-spd dually cummins that they had after they sold the 03 that I had a deposit on out from under me.

I was ticked to say the least, we drove 300 miles to get it and walk into the dealership to be told they *accidently* sold it. They put him in the 06 for just $3500 more so that made up for it, a new truck vs a 3 year old/30k miles truck. He's going to add fog lights eventually since he likes them on my truck.

Mine turned 10,000 miles yesterday, not even 5 months old yet. :cry:

Your truck is mighty nice, real pretty color. That's the color the 03 was, but hubby was thrilled to get the flame red 06.....flame red is his color. Mine is black because my 10 year old picked out the color when I ordered it, sometimes I ask her what she was thinking!
  • My 95 12 valve Cummins will start right up only when i rest my foot on the accelerator pedal. Inaddition, the idle seems to be around only 500rpm which is a problem when cold or if im running the A/C at a stoplight. Is this a stretched or out of adjustment throttle cable or is there a idle adjustment somewhere? Thanks carnut17
    Could be both, actually. If you still have the original uncoated cable, you need to get that replaced - it can fray and split. There is also an idle adjustment that can be checked. I had both require attention on my 96.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Thank you kcram, your always the first to help. Does anyone out there know where the idle adjustment screw is on a 95 Ram Cummins 12valve and if it possible to identify the obsolete throttle cable? Thanks Carnut
  • shifts in and out of o.d. and 4th gear above 50 mph
  • Hey james59, I had the exact same problem with my 95 Ram 3500 Cummins. It was a bad throttle position sensor; I'm 90% sure this is your problem. It could also be a faulty speed sensor, (I THINK) it is located on the back of the transmission. Inaddition, clean all wires where they plug into the trans. Let me know what happens GOOD LUCK Carnut17
  • HEY james59, there is a section soley for Ram transmission issues on this site; you may find some more valuable info. there. Thanks carnut17
  • The idle adjustment screw is near the left end of your injector pump. You want the low idle adjustment which is vertical and has a lock nut beneath. It helps to have another person hold the accelerator pedal down a tad while you make the adjustment because the idle cam rests on the bolt and make it difficult to turn with the weight on it. Not a big deal but you do need a good light and a glass eye on the end of a stick to see it. 750 rpm in Drive with A/C on.

Don't know how to tell if the cable is obsolete.
  • Correction on the left end. It is the right end toward the rear of the engine if you are on the left (drivers side) looking at the engine.

Sorry, my bad.
  • My 97 Dodge will not start after sitting overnight. I have replace fuel hoses and clamps. Bled air at filter. Don't know what to look for. I'm pretty sure it is losing prime.

Any suggestions?
  • Thanks dlbjones!! I found the darn thing thanks to you, not easy to get to. Well i may be able to help you out with your starting problem. My Cummins did the exact same thing yours did and i spent a lot of money replacing fuel lines and it turned out to be a bad fuel pump, NOT INJECTION PUMP. The shop i took it to says they should be repleced every 130,000 to 150,000 miles becuause they seem to lose gradually lose psi and sometimes just completly fail, let me know what happens also try www.dieselram.com Thanks Carnut17
  • I just took delivery of a 07 Ram 2500 w/ the 5.9l Cummin's. This is my first diesel. So I'm unsure of the little things that are inharent to the diesel. When I test drove the vehicle it had a vibration at any speed and the dealer replaced the drive shaft and rear U-joint. Most of the vibation has gone away except between 55 - 70 mph. My wife and I have checked the tire pressures and have made sure the lug nuts are torqued properly. Any sugestions what to look for?
  • Hello backtoram, Is the vibration like a harmonic type vibration or a shuddering. Do you have oversized tires. Is it a automatic or manual. Let me know, and maybe myself or someone else can help you figure it out. However; if the forum can't lead you to the problem, i would take it back to the dealer and raise hell. Thanks Carnut0399
  • It seems to be a harmonic type rumbling vibration. It has an automatic transmission, stock 265R70x17 tires mounted on aluminum wheels. I'm going to run it for another 1000 miles until I get to the first oil change then I'll raise hell.
  • I pulled a tree trunk pretty big .It made my truck jump a few inches off the ground
    I had a transmission problem right after. I thought I had messed up my trans.I took it in to 2 trans shops ,they told me my trans had to be rebuilt.
    Problem RPM fluctuation .
    They charged me $1500.00 and I got my truck out the same way it went in.Still rpm fluctuation.Now I find out from you guys that it might be my electrical,sounds right,some electrical connection could have been loosen when I pulled the stump.My radio came unplugged. nowwhat I am out $1500 mMybe someone else can benefit from my lose,A bad conection