Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Azera Front End Problems

Comments

• Options
    floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 723
    What do you mean "the complete strut assembly"?
    1, 2 or 4 struts?
    What did he replace it with?
  • Options
    donrwdonrw Member Posts: 46
    QUOTE....my dealer replaced the complete strut assembly and the problem is solved. Now I have a nice quiet car.

Altazera
    Adding to what Bob asked, the complete strut assembly would include spring, shock, insulator, fork, etc. The TSB clearly indicates replacing the shock portion only and includes a photo of the shock. Part L040 is the shock only.
    What is the build date of your car?
    Don
  • Options
    derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    "The service manager ordered new shocks, -040 per the TSB. Build date on my 2007 Azera Limited is 11/10/06.
    Not really sure what a hollow, knocking is, but my car definitely has bouncing and floating over high
    speed dips, as well as harshness over bumps at low speed. Hoping -040's will improve the ride.
    A post on this or another website stated new -040's did substantially eliminate the roll, etc."

Lucky you Bob . .

The build date on mine is 12-12-06. Like you, I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms! :cry:

Just came from wasting two hours at the dealer here locally in Murrieta, California.
    Got the old "We can't hear it" routine. True, because I don't hear it either with my 71 year old ears,
    but I certainly do have the old 'Roadapple' Buick porposing ride, and that is what I cannot fathom.

Does anyone know of a 'good' accomadating dealer in Southern Kallifornia who will correct this short coming?

The local service writer gave me the old "Hyundai tests the old shocks and if they are not bad, we have to
    absorb the loss." I say balderdash. How could they tell in they're lab if my original shocks were noisy?
    IF they bothered to test my original shocks which I seriously doubt they would bother to do, they would
    determine that my original shocks are shot, and not performing as they were originally supposed to do.

Making all of their customers happy should be their purpose, be it whether
    the complaint is simply for noise or poor shock absorber function.

Anyone know of a cooperating dealership?

:)
  • Options
    chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    That is so much balogna (balloney!). If you have harshness over rough surfaces at low speed, that is half the issue right there. Additionally, there IS a TSB for this build date. If you say that you are not happy with the performance, they SHOULD be happy to perform the change-out, since Hyundai will cover it. These guys are clowns. Go back and see the top dog at the dealership and MAKE SOME NOISE! If that doesn't work, hang out in the showroom where the new car sales are being written up and make some noise there. I guarantee that will get some attention. The squeaky wheel...oh, never mind. :shades:
  • Options
    I couldn't agree with you more! Thanks for the sympathy. They wonder why they don't have more business. :confuse:

No Azeras in stock at all, but plenty of Mitsubishi vehicles sitting around. They'd never stay in
    business with only Hyundais. So happy I went way out of town to deal with another dealer.

Making noise in the showroom would have no results as there are no customers there at all.

I cannot believe the crap that the service writer tried to push my way. :(
    "We cannot do the TSB because the old parts will be tested, and because
    there is no noise, Hyundai will bill us for the parts and the labor."

How could they test my bad shocks, and why would they even bother? :sick:

There is another fellow located near here not too far away, and we will find
    a dealer who will do the TSB. We're not going to give up by a long shot.

I wonder what a lemon-law lawyer could do for us?

• Options
    chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    The car is not a lemon, but your dealer sure is! Bypass these clowns and seek out the Hyundai area rep and demand this work is performed or you will troll the internet posting nothing but vitriol about Hyundai products. There, that should do it. Good Luck. :shades:
  • Options
    scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    Derrel
    Sorry to hear of your problems. I never even complained about noise, just the ride. The SM walked out to the car just to get the VIN. He took my word for it that if I go to the trouble to come see him and to leave my car for new shocks to be put on it, I must have a problem.
    Ask to see the Hyundai rep and good luck on trying to find a better dealer.
    Some dealers don't like to do warranty work because they get paid less for it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the sympathy Bob. ;)

I'm glad it worked out for you, and maybe someday I will locate a dealer that will do ours also. :surprise:

• Options
    jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    A powder white pearl parked next to mine. A wonderful thing to see, that it is ... belongs to a gentleman from Massachusetts.

He talked of his Azera, the love, the ride, the comfort and more, much more. Summers in Massachusetts, winters in Daytona Beach, Florida. His prior was a Lincoln as was the one before and the one before that. They spent many days in a service bay for a host of warranty repairs, typical, but not the Azera, not one item or issue, not one.

Averages around 16 to 17 mpg in town and 27 to 28 mpg on the highway and this he said with a smile, a very big smile.

We discussed the shock TSB, he had not heard and wasn't sure the noise was in his. We went for a ride, 'NO' noise.

It appears that the TSB is resolving the shock issue quite nicely, that it is ...

Now, if we can just find friendly dealers and service.

Some how we need to post the good, the bad, the questionable. Possibly Pat can open a new subject file for us.

We can add the Hyundai dealer in Daytona Beach, FL for a starter.
  • Options
    scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    You can also add the Hyundai dealer in Anderson S.C.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Edmunds has a dealer recommendation/critique service!

http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/drr/jump.html
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Shifty gave you the link for that - you can review a dealer on sales and/or service experiences; there are separate categories for each. Hope you all will take advantage of it - it's a great way to catalog your experiences and to help other consumers in your area.
  • Options
    jimtugsjimtugs Member Posts: 3
    My 2007 was built 10/2006.
    The dealer just replaced the front shocks and I still have the same noise only now it makes it on a smooth surface.
    I don't know what to do now.
    The noise comes from the right only.
  • Options
    shaliloglushaliloglu Member Posts: 36
    what exactly is this clunk.? can you expond on.
    I am test driving one soon & want to know what to look for, listen for etc. thanks in advance.
  • Options
    harrytddharrytdd Member Posts: 29
    At low speed..30 mph, on semi-rough pavement... a "hollow" clunking sound emanates from the front end... That is the best that I can describe it.
  • Options
    RE:738
    Apparently every car does not have the problem, therefore the test car may not have the same condition as the car that you might purchase.
    The only way to get around that situation would be to purchase a car that the dealer has on the lot, and test the actual car that you would be buying.
  • Options
    grayfoxgrayfox Member Posts: 166
    The Service Bulletin calls the noise a "hollow sound" but I preferred to call the noise I heard as that of a complete front suspension being worn out and loose on very small bumps at slow speeds. All four shocks were replaced and the car sounds normal to me now. I hope that helps.
  • Options
    jimtugsjimtugs Member Posts: 3
    I heard it the next day when I got the car home because you have to be going slow over a series of bumps.
    There is no missing it if you have the problem.
    As I statted I still here a thumpping sound even after the front shocks were changed but only on the right.
  • Options
    shaliloglushaliloglu Member Posts: 36
    thanks for the replies.
    we have a deposit on a 07 limited but have not driven it yet.
    frankly , i am getting a little scared by the way this issue was first reported and handled by the company. I went back to the bginning of tread and read the entries. Some of the early posters went thru H*** and still got stafted.
    anything else i need to listen for, look for during the test ride.????? thanks
  • Options
    RE: 743
    Don't get too paranoid.
    Although many forum participants, including me, complain of the suspension issue, it is not a terrible problem. It would have been helpful if the company would be more cooperative in finding a fix, for those of us who are picky.
    I'm certain that most owners don't even notice this problem.
  • Options
    shaliloglu,

the shock thing is annoying to some, the TSB typically resolves the problem

in reality if this is the only issue with the Azera vs. the many warranty repair issues found on so many other vehicles than it is not really an issue

remember, you will test drive the new vehicle before you sign on the bottom line ... if there is any question you can ask them to make repairs prior to signing

during the test drive see if you can find some side streets that have the typical washboard or lumpy sections ... you will definitely notice a difference in the sound between the left side and right side if the hollow sound is there
  • Options
    jmjkjmjk Member Posts: 55
    Many months ago one of the forum members described it as the noise coming from shaking a one gallon milk jug with a tennis ball in it. It occurs on minor bumps when driving at approximately 25 miles per hour. If you really want to hear it at its worst, find minor bumps in succession - about 30 feet will do it. I had my Azera's struts replaced and had only minor improvement.

JMJK
  • Options
    jmjkjmjk Member Posts: 55
    To further Bob's point (and I wish I would have done this) I would ask that you be able to test drive it an entire day. Years ago I was able (and encouraged by the dealer) to test drive a Honda the weekend. I ended up buying a Honda Accord.

JMJK
  • Options
    dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Good advice from other Azera owners. I would add the following, take a tire guage(in the event service dept. is closed on a weekend) and check the pressure for 30-32. Also, test drive only the car you might buy in the color and equipped to your specifications and not a demo or managers "Exec. Car".

Good luck.
  • Options
    mjclements48mjclements48 Member Posts: 16
    Have you gotten any satisfaction with this problem yet? I've had my Azera LTD since Feb. - currently have a bout 13K on it and have been enduring this shimmy all the time. I've had it back to the dealer about 7 times, went through numerous sets of Michelin tires, wheel balancing, etc. no change. It seems to be much worse when the car has sat for a while - as you drive the car, it seems to lessen. The dealer is obviously frustrated, and is telling me it is normal road vibration...

Anyone with any info on this please contact me as I'm about to call in the Lemon law on this car.

Azera Mike
    Indianapolis, IN
  • Options
    :lemon: call it 'IN' :lemon:

get rid of the :sick: now
  • Options
    "Have you gotten any satisfaction with this problem yet? I've had my Azera LTD since Feb. - currently have
    about 13K on it and have been enduring this shimmy all the time. I've had it back to the dealer about
    7 times, went through numerous sets of Michelin tires, wheel balancing, etc. no change.
    It seems to be much worse when the car has sat for a while -as you drive the car, it seems to lessen.
    The dealer is obviously frustrated, and is telling me it is normal road vibration...

Anyone with any info on this please contact me as I'm about to call in the Lemon law on this car.

Azera Mike
    Indianapolis, IN"

Don't do the :lemon: bit. It's too nice of a car for that! :D

That is definitely not normal!

What exactly has been done to this car? :confuse:

Stock wheels or aftermarket? 16 inch or 17s? Tires are what brand and size? :confuse:

Has it been taken anywhere else or always taken back to the same dealership? :confuse:

Please tell us everything that you know of that has been done to correct the problem.

We will see if we can make constructive suggestions! ;)

• Options
    Re 749: as I'm about to call in the Lemon law on this car

With 7 visits to correct a problem your dearler obviously can't, I encourage you to do just that :lemon:
  • Options
    RE:751
    The "Lemon Law" is not an easy route.
    I would suggest notifying Hyundai Consumer Affairs and asking them to provide you with the name of another Hyundai dealer with whom they have contacted about your problem and dissatisfaction.
    Document the contact with Hyundai.
    If above suggestion does not work, take your car to a non dealer repair service and have them give you an estimate for what they deem necessary to fix the problem.
    The shops around here will give that estimate at no charge.
    Get that information to Hyundai Consumer Affairs, and let them respond.
    If they do not give you satisfactory response, either get repair done and seek payment from Hyundai or at that point go for the Lemon Law.
  • Options
    Re: message # 749

Bob, it would appear that Michael (mjclements48 of Carmel, IN) is not too concerned about his problem.

I know if that was happening to my new car, I would be right on top of it pronto right now! :mad:

What I don't understand is his post is dated October 30, and yet his profile shows his most recent login to
    be October 17, 2007. What's with that? How can he have posted his message without being logged on? :confuse:

There are at least a couple of us here who know what to tell him to do IF he wants to get his problem solved,
    but if he doesn't care to outline what has been done so far, I guess he's not too concerned.

I wonder if his dealer could be Butler Hyundai? :confuse:

Going the :lemon: law route is not the way to go unless he wants to drag it out and suffer until it is settled.
    If he wants to suffer until Hyundai corrects the problem or gets him a new car, that's his business. :(

What do you think? :confuse:

• Options
    RE: 754
    I'm not sure that this type of problem is covered by the Lemon Law.
    Perception of ride and noise levels are not safety issues and unless one can prove that there is a danger or potential for danger, I doubt that the court system would get involved.
    Attempt should be made to correct the problem, with or without the help of Hyundai.
  • Options
    "Derrel
    We have [a] project for you, plz take an Amanti out for [a] test drive and let us know. Since Temecula
    is a small, slow developing area, you may find a Kia dealer in San Diego on I 15 and El Cajon Blvd."

Not at slow as you might think! We are moving right along and we do
    now have an authorized Kia dealer here in Murrieta! Ah yes, progress. :surprise:

Stopped by there this morning. I did not drive a new Amanti. No cahones.
    Besides, the one I would drive would be fine, don't you know?

But I did have a very interesting chat with a rather knowledgeable parts gal.
    She really surprised me, and seemed to know about the problem.

The part number for the Amanti front shocks is 54611 3F800.
    Same for all produced vehicles, early or late.
    She said the parts are the same for the Azera and the Amanti, just different part numbers.

She knew of the clunking problem but said there is no TSB to replaqce the shocks.

There is however a TSB concerning what to do with the Amanti
    should the customer complain of the cluncking noise.
    Kia is instructed to re-torque the nuts at the top of the strut mount
    to a certain torque, and she says that fixes the problem.

So that's what I learned this morning. And you . . . :confuse:

• Options
    What I don't understand is his post is dated October 30, and yet his profile shows his most recent login to
    be October 17, 2007.

As you see, there is an occasional glitch with the Last Login thingy. Don't read anything in to it concerning a poster. I believe it will be fixed with a software update scheduled for next month.
  • Options
    Thanks Pat.

We talked directly and maybe his problem will be solved! ;)

Regards,

Derrel
  • Options
    Has anyone been able to determine the actual changes that Hyundai has made in the 08 Azera suspension that differs from the previous years?
  • Options
    mjclements48mjclements48 Member Posts: 16
    For everyone's interest - thanks for all the threads and a big thanks to Derrel. This morning I went out and increased my tire psi up to 37. The dealer had them at 30 psi as per Hyundai specs. This car was cold, had sat all night. I then drove it as I usually do and the shimmy was noticeably reduced. I would say about 90% gone!!! I'm no engineer, but I would think somebody at Hyundai would be aware of this issue with the Limited setup and have a TSB to increase the psi to fight the tendency to the stock Michelins have to flat spot when setting.

My Hyundai dealer is Butler in Carmel, IN. I'm going to drive the car over the weekend and if it continues to exhibit this level of improvement, I plan on giving the shop manager a call and let him know what I've experienced. There still is a slight shimmy in the rear end - probably balance. They have a Hunter GSP9700 at Butler over at their Lexus dealership. I'm going to try to get them to take my Azera over there to have it balanced properly.

Thanks again Derrel!
  • Options

You're most welcome. We're glad that we may have been of some help.

I never had that problem with ours here in So Cal as when we bought it, it had been
    sitting outside in the hot August sun all day and it was late in the afternoon.
    Ours had 30 psi all around as per the factory recommendations.
    It remained quiet hot at least until I aired up all the Michelins to
    the max. pressure as stated on the sidewalls. (44 PSI)
    44 psi proved to be too much, :( so I settled on 37 psi which I feel is liveable.
    Mine has not experienced any of that flat-spotting that many are experiencing.
    It hasn't been cold enough, and the car is always garaged at night, and I keep those pressures up.
    Not only does it handle a little better, but raising the pressures may add a little
    to the fuel economy and tire life, and the ride is not suffering that much.

Funny that with all your many trips back to Butler, they did not take the time or trouble to drive your
    Azera over to the Lexus location and use the Hunter GSP9700 and properly balance your tires.
    You'd think that they would want to fix your car simply to get you off of their case, wouldn't you? :confuse:

Let us know how everything works out.
    Don't forget to eyeball your front shocks for the numbers if you get the chance.

Now, if I can get the factory rep to agree to change my
    front shocks per the TSB, I'll be a happy camper.

I love these forums. They really do help, n'est-pa?

• Options
    Did the :lemon: law some years back for a Bravada. It took a few months and a lot of patience but, I got every penny paid for the vehicle back. It actually got GM involved, they tried to fix it yet again to no avail.

The shimmy :sick: , lets see, what items could create shimmy?
    Defective tires, balance, inflation, bent or defective wheel, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering box or rack and pinion. A shimmy is a safety hazard, no if or ands about it.

Drove a new loaner 08 Azera last week with only 1,350 miles on it, nice ride, no hollow knocking but, at 65 mph the steering wheel started to quiver (visually noticeable), it increased at 70 and even more (shook the whole arm) at 75 on a smooth newly re paved inner-state.
  • Options
    "Did the :lemon: law some years back for a Bravada. It took a few months and a lot of patience but, I got every penny paid for the vehicle back. It actually got GM involved, they tried to fix it yet again to no avail.

The shimmy :sick: , lets see, what items could create shimmy?
    Defective tires, balance, inflation, bent or defective wheel, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering box or rack and pinion.
    A shimmy is a safety hazard, no if or ands about it.

Drove a new loaner 08 Azera last week with only 1,350 miles on it, nice ride, no hollow knocking but, at 65 mph the steering wheel started to quiver (visually noticeable), it increased at 70 and even more (shook the whole arm) at 75 on a smooth newly
    re paved inner-state."

'08 or 2007? No one has seen any 2008s yet that we've heard of.
    The 2008s are at the ports, but not at the dealers yet.

Your third choice, highlighted above, has at least to me, proven to be the cause!

How far did you drive it? :confuse:
    If the tires were cold, and inflated according to the manufacture, they will cause a shimmy until the flat
    spots'
    created by that under inflation and being cold have been warmed up and are no longer there!

In most cases, under inflation and being cold with the factory Michelins is what is causing this vibration.
    Re balancing has not corrected anyone's complaints that I know of.

Either the big "H" is going to have to chance tires or go to a higher recommended pressure.
    If they do raise the recommended Michelin tire pressures, many will
    be complaining about loosing their comfortable boulevard ride.

Yours is fine now that you've had the 041s removed? :confuse:

What pressures are you using in your Michelins? :confuse:

• Options

For those Southern Californias who have had the shock recall TSB performed:

Please . . kindly contact me directly. My email address is listed in my profile.

I'm interested in locating a dealer who will do mine. The local dealer will not!
    The stupid service writer there didn't even know how to properly write up my problem
    even though I handed him a copy of the TSB that he wasn't even familiar with.
    He kept it BTW!

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    Rather than taking this important exchange of information off-line, let's ask people to post here - that way their experiences will benefit everyone now and in the future. :)
  • Options

Good idea!

I wasn't sure that posting the dealers' name was allowed.

• Options
    It is.
  • Options
    charles27charles27 Member Posts: 2
    I bought My Azera nine months ago. From my first drive home I noticed a suspension noise like something was broken. I went back to the dealer the next day and took an appointment for a repair. Since that time I went several times to my local Hyundai dealer. The first time I was told it was a normal suspension noise. I got funny argument like ‘the car was test driven by an experienced mechanics and he confirmed that it was normal noise suspension and was behaving like any other Azera’. At the second visit to my local Hyundai dealer they offer me to try another Azera to convince me that my car was like any other Azera; I heard the same terrible noise.

I wrote a formal letter (registered with confirmation of delivery) to local Hyundai dealer owner and spoke to him on the phone the express my frustration. Following this phone conversation I got an appointment for a repair.

At the third and forth visits they admitted that there was suspension noise and made some repairs (dampers replacement in both cases) but the suspension was as nosier as prior to the repairs.

I wrote a formal letter (registered with confirmation of delivery) to Hyundai Auto Canada and got no reply even after two follow-ups. At the third time I got confirmation by Hyundai Auto Canada (on the phone) that there would be no formal reply but only a record will be entered in the Hyundai database.

I called again Hyundai Auto Canada several times. My messages were never returned, even if I gave my car serial number (although they say they will respond within 24 hours).

I went to my local Hyundai dealer again. The service manager went for a test drive with my Azera. The service manager admitted, with compassion, that he could hear the noise as well as I did and that it was the result of a combination of a stiff suspension, low profile tiers. He also indicated that all Azera and Sonata have noisy suspension and that my Azera was as any other Azera. He told me he could do nothing for it.

After several tries I was able to speak to Hyundai Auto Canada again. I went through my full story another time. I finally got as an answer that the problem cannot be solved because it is a design problem. All Azera and Sonata have a noisy suspension.

I'm getting very frustrated every time I drive the Azera. This is the worst suspension I ever experienced and every day it seems to be getting worst. Now, most of the time I avoid bumpy roads even if it means driving longer ride.

I went through this forum several times and I see hundreds of people going through the same frustrations with no sign that the noisy suspension problem will be solved soon. Very often the client gets cheap dampers replacement which seldom do any improvement In my opinion this is done only to keep the client quiet for some time and hope he will give up complaining and endure. There may be a fix to this problem but Hyundai is not ready to afford the expense and doing it for one would mean doing it for all that complains.

How can we make Hyundai do something? :lemon:
  • Options
    re. 768 "After several tries I was able to speak to Hyundai Auto Canada again. I went through my full story another time. I finally got as an answer that the problem cannot be solved because it is a design problem. All Azera and Sonata have a noisy suspension"

Was this reply written on Hyundai Canada letterhead or via telephone? If written please post. I'd love to show it to my dealers service dept. manager and Hyundai USA (Fountain Valley).
  • Options
    donrwdonrw Member Posts: 46
    At the third and forth visits they admitted that there was suspension noise and made some repairs (dampers replacement in both cases) but the suspension was as nosier as prior to the repairs.

Charles
    What is the build date of your car and what is the part number of the shock[damper] that they installed on your Azera? It would be helpful to know the part no. of the dampers that they removed, but it's probably too late to determine that. Did you make them aware of the TSB 07-50-007?
    Are you saying that on the 3rd visit, they replaced shocks and on the 4th visit ,they replaced the shocks again? Did they replace the front shocks or all 4 shocks?
  • Options
    Re: # 769

re. 768
    "After several tries I was able to speak to Hyundai Auto Canada again. I went through my full story another time.
    I finally got as an answer that the problem cannot be solved because it is a design problem.
    All Azera and Sonata have a noisy suspension"

Was this reply written on Hyundai [a] Canada letterhead or via telephone? If written please post.
    I'd love to show it to my dealers service dept. manager and Hyundai USA (Fountain Valley.)'

dborth,

He said "I was able to speak to Hyundai Auto Canada again."
    Unless he is close by to their physical location which I doubt as we are here to Fountain Valley, we
    must assume that he talked to them by telephone, and therefore does not have a thing in writing!

I cannot imagine that Hyundai would ever put such a statement in writing! :surprise:
    I am also surprised indeed that they said that even over the phone, but perhaps they
    know how severe the penalties may be up yonder for recording phone conversations?

So dborth, have you been able to have your shocks changed yet? If so, where so? :confuse:
    I'd love to have mine changed because I believe that the other
    than 041s are at least a step in the right direction.

• Options
    I'm thinking that it would be a good thing if we could leave aside the sarcasm in this conversation. How 'bout we give it a try?
  • Options
    Re: # 772

"I'm thinking that it would be a good thing if we could leave aside the sarcasm in this conversation. How 'bout we give it a try?"

Please explain that remark! :confuse:
  • Options
    Um, that it means let's drop the sarcasm?