Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    edited April 2014

@fintail said:
    True, but hand built isn't part of it. It's comparing it to newer cars, relative material/build quality, etc, timeless styling too. I don't know if any car today will be ahead of the curve as much as those cars were when new. And they still feel like machines that will last forever when cared for - which isn't a feeling had by some later models.

>

I think Shifty's referring to the ad: "Transport yourself back to a time when cars were actually made by hand"

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

I think the last truly hand-made Benz would be the lovely 300S and Sc convertibles, roadsters and coupes from about 1952-1956. These cars cost MORE than a Gullwing when new, and share the Gullwing engine.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175

Oh, I glossed over that. I do notice it says "cars" - doesn't refer to the car in the ad. Cars are still made by hand today! Crafty wording, there :)

Were 600s made by hand? Or gullwings?

@texases said:

• Options
    edited April 2014

Might be an issue of personal taste, or reference timeframe. The cars get a lot of respect and do have a following, it should be more than coincidence. They are old, and most are stodgy - but maybe not bad in that, as they don't pretend to be anything else. Values aren't fading.

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    yes, what you say makes sense on one level, but I still see them as money pits. Some say timeless styling, some say old and stodgy.

• Options

That'd be a good point to think about - in some ways, the upscale makers now just have three sizes of the same thing - maybe some different features, but no revolutionary jumps from one level to the next. And some non-highline brands can offer much of the same tech (if not build/design/material quality) for a lower price. The top of the range can be dependent on technology of questionable merit to differentiate itself.

Maybe the best at setting itself apart right now is Tesla - and it's all because of what's under the skin.

@boomchek said:
    Yes these days it seems that a lot of mid level cars have pretty much the same tech as upscale brands. You can buy a $35k mid size sedan and it'll have pretty much same or similiar options as something that costs $100k. I wonder if we reached a plateau in terms of automobile advancement.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096

@qbrozen said:

Looks OK on the outside. But no interior pics and, man, something that size with a 6-cyl and automatic? Gotta be quite the pig.

My brother had a '63 Chevy Belair sedan around 1968 or so, 6-cylinder, Powerglide. He managed to get speeding tickets in it as a teenager.

Things I remember about that car were that it had ridiculous amounts of interior room, and that on the highway, it was remarkably quiet and smooth.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,113

My grandparents had a new '63 Bel Air wagon which I remember quite clearly...in fact, I remember when they traded their '58 Chevy wagon in on it. My aunt (only about 19 at the time) was driving the '58 with my mom, sister, and I in it and hit a telephone pole. We were shaken up a bit but OK.

The thing I remember most about the '63 Bel Air was the tall windshield and the enormous blue tinted band across the top--very neat.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Don't forget that massive plastic dashboard, Really, kind of cool.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

??? Unless I'm overlooking something, there is NO description of this car. I've seen quite a few ads lately like this. Why would you not even say if it runs? Put SOMETHING in there other than pics.

Pretty sure I've seen this listed before. Painted the tires? Weird. I like how 1 person bid himself up 35 times.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

@qbrozen said:
    ... I like how 1 person bid himself up 35 times.

Click on the 'Show automatic bids', you'll see all the bids involved.

• Options

Doesn't look like it has power steering---if not, that's going to be a chore to drive around town. I owned a 2D HT version of that car. The engine is not all that powerful but it's okay. Your typical 50s car.

• Options
    edited April 2014

@texases said:

so it was someone bidding $5 at a time every 2-3 secs from $200 up to $500.(?) People truly are dumb and have a great deal of time to waste.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

I think it was the battle of two automated bids, you can tell Ebay your maximum and it'll bid for you, looks like two did that.

• Options

I don't think so. If you look at the listings for the 1 buyer listed as "automatic", they all occurred at exactly the same time. The other buyer is not listed as autobid and all the times are different, if only by a few secs. So he/she sat there and just kept plugging in $5 increments like they were at a live auction.

• Options

Yeah, you're right. That guy didn't want to overbid by an extra $10, I guess...

• Options

Boy, that escalated quickly - when did this happen?

• Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

A bit steep no? Funny how it has no reserve but starting price is astronomically high.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options

It has to be twice the price I've ever seen asked for a 113. The 5-speed is a big deal, but that seems crazy (there were two ZF cars at the local MBCA show year before last, I think).

• Options

If it were Pebble Beach grade, it might bring $90K. It's the 280SL everyone wants anyway, or the 230L, the most basic and purest expression of the car. The 250SL is kind of the poor sister of the trio.

If you want a 5 speed in your Pagoda SL, you can just install one. You don't have to pay an extra $60,000 to get one.

• Options

Yeah, I have seen other 5-speed cars for more like 50-60K tops.

Here's a much rarer 5-speed car, for a lot less money

• Options

Do those 68s still have that spindly, vague, slow shifter or does the 5 speed improve things? That would have to go, first thing. These are fussy cars, built right at the time when Benz was trying to figure out what Americans wanted. (They wanted working AC and an automatic that didn't jar your bones, turns out).

• Options

I'd assume it is a typical traditional MB shifter, with long throws. One reason an automatic i an old MB, even if clunky, isn't all bad.

Had the fintail out today - started right up as usual, ran fine. Had a couple people actually take pics of it - a woman when I was in a park parking lot, and a passenger in a customized VW when I took it out for a short highway drive. Turn signals working, all is well.

• Options

Saw a very nice diesel ponton for sale, but price was pretty unrealistic--$12,000. Ran well, although I'd imagine to the driver it feels like the car is chained to a tree.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Saw a very nice diesel ponton for sale, but price was pretty unrealistic--$12,000. Ran well, although I'd imagine to the driver it feels like the car is chained to a tree.

Tree? I'd think it would feel like it was chained to the whole forest.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

I never thought about it before, but a Ponton does sort-of have a passing resemblance to a '55-60 or so, Rambler American.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options

Diesel ponton is definitely something unsafe for highway use - it simply can't get up to speed fast enough, and I think anything over 70 might be impossible without mods. An in-town car.

Pontons do have a cult around them too, With a prety detailed website

• Options
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558

Need to brush up on my German for that link.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558

Not a bad idea though. Kind of like wheeler dealers where mike comes over to find domestic project cars. And spare parts.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    forddriver4forddriver4 Member Posts: 8

I just bought my first vehicle it is a Ford F150 2013 pick up. I am wondering if i should use it for off road use or just on road. I really dont care about dents or dings in the truck. It will recieve its fair share of them in its life

• Options

I am also looking for beat up trucks that no one wants anymore or would love to get rid of. I will be looking for some trucks that are cheap. I would need to get a job. I am out of money because i used my college fund ,that my parents made for me and put money in it, for the truck. And i am now looking for jobs to

• Options
    edited April 2014

I use chrome, which has an automatic translator - as my German skills are moderate, but still lacking a lot. It shows that some old cars are still pretty cheap in NA. Of course, there are old cars in Europe (old G-wagens, E30 Touring, etc) that can be sent here at a profit, too.

Funny thing on that link - "VDH" is "Verein der Heckflossefreunde", which means "club of fintail friends" (enthusiasts).

Regarding the Ford truck - depends on the type of "off roading" - that's a popular pastime in my area, and some of it is a lot rougher than others. If you're going stump jumping and really out in the bush, maybe get a beater for it - but simply playing on dirt/mud roads probably won't hurt it.

• Options

Im for mudding, launching off jumps, and trail riding, along with rock crawling

• Options

I'd be very afraid of suspension damage on even a modified late model standard truck from jumping. Unless you have a Raptor, I'd find an old truck. Here anyway, people turn old 80s-90s Toyotas into off road abuse vehicles, I suppose old Jeeps would be good too.

• Options

Yeah. I would like a jeep but insurance is too high. And my ford truck is a raptor. But ive seen on youtube where some guy goes over a jump six times. And on the sixth time he hits the gas launching the truck over 90 feet and upon impact the air bags deploy. I dont like many toyotas. Imlike the fj cruiser but i might look into it. I did have a trail only mazda truck because it failed inspection when my dad owned it. And now it resides in a junk yard due to an off road jump and it snaped the truck in half upon landing. About 80-90 feet the truck jumped.

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

You will DISTROY your new truck if you do those things to it!

• Options

Oh yeah, airbags - another no-no for offroading in a new truck. Don't do it. Workable old Toyota project trucks can be had for a few grand, and they can take a beating. New Toyota trucks are kind of bland and oversized, but 80s one are cool. I like old Landcruisers and 80s 4Runners. That's what I'd do, anyway. If the price was too much, I'd find a new hobby.

• Options

I should add the frame was rusted through on the truck so he gave it to me. And its body also was rusted too

• Options

Methinks we be trolled...

• Options

Nice bold color 560SEC, what will it bring? - usually not a fan of this color, but I could live with it, interior looks amazing.

• Options

Remember fin, about frames on cheap, older Toyota trucks. Seriously. No trolling here.

• Options

That's a nice SEC, I like the color combo as well.

• Options

$9000 should be all the money for it.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798

@forddriver4 said:
    And my ford truck is a raptor.

LOL! Okay, well, I'll refrain from mentioning the quality of that investment given the circumstances (e.g., water under the bridge), but hey, if you have it, why not play a little? I say "a little" because clearly this is the form of transportation upon which you are currently dependent, so going full-on stupid with it is going to land you in a pool of hurt. Sounds to me like that Mazda you mentioned is the perfect sort of rig for "full-on stupid" mode. Until you get another, live vicariously!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options

I like both. I'm a big fan of 90s exotic and super cars probably because I grew up dreaming of these cars when I was a teenager. Both would be nice addition to anyone's 90s supercar collection.

• Options

Well for $99,000 (silly price) they could at least get their description right---the 928 was not "made of aluminum" -- only the doors, hood and front fender.

Try $65,000 for starters if it's the best one currently existing in the world. Oddly enough, it's not faster than the previous "GT".

• Options

Same here, tuned and exotic cars from mid 80s-90s are a growing interest for me, probably because I am getting older and looking back to youth. I find something like a Diablo or a 911 Slantnose convertible to be a lot more interesting than new models, even if they are usually inferior as cars. And of course, don't get me started on period MBs. I think future markets will eventually be kind to such cars too, as the kids of those days who dreamed of such cars are more able to obtain them.

Was the 928 GT sold in NA? I don't recall ever having seen one. I've seen several GTS though.

Regarding the Toyota truck mention from yesterday, I think that was 00s models - 80s one seem to have bodies that rust away before the structure fails or engine dies.

@boomchek said:
    I like both. I'm a big fan of 90s exotic and super cars probably because I grew up dreaming of these cars when I was a teenager. Both would be nice addition to anyone's 90s supercar collection.

• Options

gotta take a big deduct for the purple carpets. yuck.

• Options

I actually like the purple carpets. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I had purple jeans when in high school lol.