Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    edited January 2016
    ="ab348"><

Someone mentioned this to me just recently, saying they liked it but that the ending was a downer. I don't know how it ended and didn't ask.

Ending could be considered a downer in the sense it wasn't a happy conclusion, but, it was realistic and made the movie a possible true to life story....not a Cinderella they lived happily ever after ending though.

btw....amazing 93% satisfaction on rottentomatoes

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    dino001 said:

andres3 said:

stever said:

And it's going to be fun when you get hit by the Uber driver and you get to sue the $18 to $50 billion dollar company. And the driver.

I'd rather just have "under-insured" coverage, that way your own insurance company picks up the 200,000 on the Bentley example above after the 25K is exhausted.
    It doesn't. Uninsured/underinsured pays for injuries/pain and suffering and similar things, not property damage. That is paid from collision/comprehensive, depending on the source of the damage.

That's true. I guess I was thinking of the fancy "collision deductible waiver" often grouped and sold with additional uninsured coverage. This "waiver" saves you from losing your deductible when the loser with no insurance hits you. If a city vehicle (like the Police) hits you; you are out of luck as well even though they are technically uninsured. The gov't self-insures, which to the insurance company, means they can weasel out of paying for the waiver.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330

Q....I kind of always went in to any of the Star Wars movies with a healthy dose of "suspension of disbelief" attitude.

You have to do that with almost every movie.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

BTW...have you seen this yet?

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-audio/UBD-K8500/ZA

I'm waiting for OPPO to release their new 4K player.

Sounds good; I want to see the new OPPO player as well

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2016

driver100 said:

Friend of mine got really screwed by our current insurance laws...he got hit by an under-insured motorist whose property damage capped out at $10K. He has a '96 Porsche 993 Cabriolet. So his insurance company says "well then we'll fix the car". But when they see it, they decide to total it, and offer him $20,000. The car is worth $32K all day long.

So here we have the lovely situation of the victim being screwed out of $12K or having to fight a legal battle, losing the car he loved and bought brand-new, the perpetrator let off the hook as "judgment proof", and the company to whom my friend has been paying premiums for 25 years, low-balling him.

And we wonder why we see a scene on the nightly news with a neighbor being interviewed under the glare of police car lighting: "He was such a nice quiet man. I never thought he'd do something like that..."

I hate it when laws are not fair. Even when another driver has hit our car, we end up having to use our time to pick up and return a rental car. Then drive an inferior car until ours is fixed. And, though they can fix the car it is still on a Carfax report as being in an accident, or, in the case of our 2003 Mercedes which was rear ended....we had to claim it on the trade-in report. The victim is always the looser.

I do think there should be a fund...maybe at 3% or 5% to all insurance policies, and establish a fund so no one is out because of an irresponsible moron....and there are lots of them out there!
    Reminds me of the episode of Fast & Loud where they built a triple black 67 Mustang and as they were doing final road tests an uninsured motorist totaled it.

Wonder how someone is driving around without insurance. In NY you can't register a car without proof. My son let his lapse for 75 days and it cost over $1000 in penalties to resolve it.

How about a roll call of insurance requirements from our respective states?
    Well given that they arrest people who are still driving after having had 7 DUIs, a vehicular manslaughter conviction, and a license revocation, I suspect that determined outlaws find ways around anything.

I know how a person can get away with it, but I'm not posting it.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2016
    I finally put the CLS 400 through its paces this afternoon.  I entered the Florida Turnpike and pushed the pedal to the floor.  I brought the rpm's to red line and I looked at the speedo.  I was at 92 mph in about 6 seconds (I floored it at 30 mph) and I was in 5th gear (I have 7).  It reacted as if a V8 was under the hood.  The turbos kicked in with no noticeable delay.  It was breathtaking!

I figured I was well enough to handle the excitement and the car had 956 miles on it which was close enough to 1000 for the break-in period.  A truly amazing vehicle with that twin turbo V6.  :o

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    I'd get in so much trouble with that kind of power.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited January 2016

Q....I kind of always went in to any of the Star Wars movies with a healthy dose of "suspension of disbelief" attitude.

You have to do that with almost every movie.
    Yeh, if that wasn't the case we would be watching movies about people with everyday lives like ours...not much point in doing that.

• Options
    driver100 said:
    Q....I kind of always went in to any of the Star Wars movies with a healthy dose of "suspension of disbelief" attitude. You have to do that with almost every movie.
    Yeh, if that wasn't the case we would be watching movies about people with everyday lives like ours...not much point in doing that.
    Ditto!  :p

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited January 2016
    HBO is running the 7+ hour Godfather Epic right now. It's the first two movies edited together to tell the story in chronological order with some additional scenes that weren't in the originals. I think this is my favorite car from the movies, although the one that the ambulance passes on the causeway when Vito is coming home from the hospital is pretty cool too

• Options
    nelsonfnelsonf Member Posts: 104
    I wish Washington state would require proof of insurance at registration time. While it's true that some people may scam the system by getting insurance, registering their car, then canceling, you would hope at least some of them would keep it once they had it.

The other thing that bugs me, is having to pay for "uninsured motorist" insurance, when it's the law to have insurance.
    You're doing the right thing by having insurance, yet paying more for the privilege.

Currently own: 2017 BMW M4, 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    nelsonf said:
    I wish Washington state would require proof of insurance at registration time. While it's true that some people may scam the system by getting insurance, registering their car, then canceling, you would hope at least some of them would keep it once they had it. The other thing that bugs me, is having to pay for "uninsured motorist" insurance, when it's the law to have insurance. You're doing the right thing by having insurance, yet paying more for the privilege.
    It is funny that you mention that. I have noticed a lot of Washington state license plates around here in New York lately. Mostly driven by minorities who are the the first ones to say they cannot afford the insurance here in New York.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Autonomous cars will, ahem, fix that issue. :)
  • Options
    GODFATHER ---- the best movie E-V-E-R.
    PF_Flyer said:

HBO is running the 7+ hour Godfather Epic right now. It's the first two movies edited together to tell the story in chronological order with some additional scenes that weren't in the originals. I think this is my favorite car from the movies, although the one that the ambulance passes on the causeway when Vito is coming home from the hospital is pretty cool too

• Options
    Kentucky requires proof of insurance at registration time. One thing I did when I was judge was make the uninsured party pay restitution if they were involved in an accident and cited for not having insurance.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Yeah but that's when they go belly-up on you--unless of course you had the power to put them in the slammer if they didn't pay up. But I guess that's "debtor's prison" and isn't legal?
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    stever said:

If we ever get a good percentage of autonomous cars, a good selling feature would be if the manufacturer took on all the liability so the buyer would not have to buy insurance...or maybe just comprehensive.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Frankly, if it wasn't for the uninsured driving around causing 90% of the accidents out there (just a guess), and for thieves, I would just post a $50K bond and self-insure myself. Insurance companies are a big rip off. They pay themselves way too much to do just about nothing.

The driver's that say they can't afford insurance are the one's that can't afford to be driving around without it. There's a couple reasons they can't afford it, one, the insurance companies charge too much, and two, they probably have a bad record of being a bad driver and deserve the sky-high rates.

There is a third reason, tickets and the correlated undeserved and unearned insurance revenue associated with each ticket issued. I've got plenty of tickets over the years, and have yet to accumulate a single at-fault accident to show for all those tickets!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    abacomike said:

I finally put the CLS 400 through its paces this afternoon.  I entered the Florida Turnpike and pushed the pedal to the floor.  I brought the rpm's to red line and I looked at the speedo.  I was at 92 mph in about 6 seconds (I floored it at 30 mph) and I was in 5th gear (I have 7).  It reacted as if a V8 was under the hood.  The turbos kicked in with no noticeable delay.  It was breathtaking!

I figured I was well enough to handle the excitement and the car had 956 miles on it which was close enough to 1000 for the break-in period.  A truly amazing vehicle with that twin turbo V6.  :o

Careful, you should write the disclaimer you had the Florida Turnpike turned into a "closed course" so that a revenue hungry agency doesn't accept your admission of 92 MPH as an admission of "speeding." :open_mouth:
  • Options

Yeah but that's when they go belly-up on you--unless of course you had the power to put them in the slammer if they didn't pay up. But I guess that's "debtor's prison" and isn't legal?

I think if they made the penalty for driving without insurance AND causing an accident 3 strikes and 25 to life mandatory sentence, it would cut down on both the uninsured and the "accident-eager-prone" driver's out there.
  • Options
    houdini1 said:

stever said:

If we ever get a good percentage of autonomous cars, a good selling feature would be if the manufacturer took on all the liability so the buyer would not have to buy insurance...or maybe just comprehensive.
    Yes, no insurance. Not even Comprehensive because if it gets stolen it should be able to find its way back home automatically :open_mouth: Now that would be a good "recall" feature on the Key FOB.

Also, what would the automatic payout be if it gets you or someone you love killed? It would have to be very high guaranteed settlement amount.

• Options
    A bit draconian to say the least. All that will do is what it does in Mexico. When there's an accident, the uninsured unregistered driver just runs away, and you have a wrecked car and an empty bag.
  • Options

A bit draconian to say the least. All that will do is what it does in Mexico. When there's an accident, the uninsured unregistered driver just runs away, and you have a wrecked car and an empty bag.

That wouldn't fly in the US, if an owner can be mailed a red light camera ticket, someone can be blamed. And you might at least own 2 wrecked cars, some value there.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Not just Mexico. The dump and run happens often in philly too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    In CA the runners are often tackled and captured I think. Lots easier to catch a runner on foot than a "hit & runner" who has a functioning vehicle. Unless they are a track athlete.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    andres3 said:

abacomike said:

Careful, you should write the disclaimer you had the Florida Turnpike turned into a "closed course" so that a revenue hungry agency doesn't accept your admission of 92 MPH as an admission of "speeding." :open_mouth:
    Yes, I'm sure the Florida State police has nothing better to do than read Edmunds and look for stories of speeding......
    @abacomike, I think your safe.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    If jail time were a deterrent we'd have empty jails--but in fact business is boomin'.

I prefer the confiscation laws--you have an accident while uninsured, you lose the car, at least until you make things right all around. Or the car can be auctioned off and put into a compensation fund perhaps.

• Options
    andres3 said:

abacomike said:

I think my speedometer is incorrect - seemed like 62 mph to me. I will take the CLS into Mercedes to have it fixed! :'(

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,675
    edited January 2016
    abacomike said:

I guess that means you're feeling better. Carefully planned craziness can be quite fun. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited January 2016
    andres3 said:

That wouldn't fly in the US, if an owner can be mailed a red light camera ticket, someone can be blamed. And you might at least own 2 wrecked cars, some value there.
    Red light camera tickets have been stopped here in Broward County by a district court judge. I think a lawsuit was filed indicating that you have the right to "question" or "rebut" the "accuser". In this case, you cannot cross examine a picture taken by a camera at a specific intersection. So, until something is done to correct the "law" or to have the legislature pass a bill that permits cameras to "charge" an individual with a traffic violation, all the investment dollars in leasing or buying cameras at certain intersections is now a wasted taxpayer expense.

Should be interesting to find out what the higher court(s) rule and/or what the legislature does. :s

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I'd get in so much trouble with that kind of power.  

I let my nephew (19) take the Mustang out for a spin and even with his father as chaperone he came back grinning and asked if it was supercharged because it was so fast. He then had his father take pictures of him standing in front of it to show his buddies. THAT is somebody who would get in trouble.

But when you think about it, if we weren't all big kids we wouldn't be such car fanatics.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    You are assuming the dead beats even own the car. Probably just as likely to have a 5 year loan on a 2008 Hyundai, and be totally underwater.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    abacomike said:

andres3 said:

Red light camera tickets have been stopped here in Broward County by a district court judge. I think a lawsuit was filed indicating that you have the right to "question" or "rebut" the "accuser". In this case, you cannot cross examine a picture taken by a camera at a specific intersection. So, until something is done to correct the "law" or to have the legislature pass a bill that permits cameras to "charge" an individual with a traffic violation, all the investment dollars in leasing or buying cameras at certain intersections is now a wasted taxpayer expense.

Should be interesting to find out what the higher court(s) rule and/or what the legislature does. :s
    Locally they treat a red light ticket like a parking ticket. Fine but no points. No trial permitted, no right to face your accuser. Sneaky way to abridge your rights. Puts the lie to the claim that they are anything other than revenue generators.

• Options

Kentucky requires proof of insurance at registration time. One thing I did when I was judge was make the uninsured party pay restitution if they were involved in an accident and cited for not having insurance.

That is what they do on Hot Bench too!

People driving without insurance seems to happen a lot on the Judge programs. On Judge Faith today one lady took her girlfriends car to get some fast food....she was texting and she hit another car. She shouldn't think she should pay because the other driver didn't have insurance and he was going too fast. The car wasn't covered, only for liability. She took no responsibility for her actions, and couldn't understand why she has to pay, and she ended her friendship because the friend won $1070, the value for a 1995 Corolla.

• Options
    PF_Flyer said:

That 58 Ford is cool, I don't believe I ever saw one in red and black and I am thinking that was probably not the original colors....I don't think anyone would get a red and black one.

I see lots of great cars on Murder She Wrote since they were made in the 80s. The Sheriff has one of those huge Cadillac convertibles.

• Options
    "tjc78
    Yes, I'm sure the Florida State police has nothing better to do than read Edmunds and look for stories of speeding......
    At least Mike didn't post a Youtube Video which they are using as proof to convict people these days.

• Options

If jail time were a deterrent we'd have empty jails--but in fact business is boomin'.

I prefer the confiscation laws--you have an accident while uninsured, you lose the car, at least until you make things right all around. Or the car can be auctioned off and put into a compensation fund perhaps.

Usually it isn't their car though....it's stolen :s

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

abacomike said:

I guess that means you're feeling better. Carefully planned craziness can be quite fun. :p
    Personally, I'm good with unplanned craziness, too.

Insurance-never could understand that while death tolls have plummeted on our roads over the last 25 years, why insurance rates weren't affected given the companies are paying out less.

When self driving cars begin to become more prevalent, I wonder how municipalities and insurance companies are going to justify keeping fines and premiums at a high level. With those cars, you can't run a red light, or roll a stop sign. You can't cross a yellow line illegally. Heck, I can see the local Otis leaving a long shift at the local tavern getting into his car and state "take me home", and the car responds safely and securely. How are those legal fees, fines, and insurance premiums going to be justified by all involved parties?

Speaking of insurance, I was driving to the local FedEx office early this a.m. to send a package. Around here, we got an inch or two of snow....nothing drastic. It was just enough to let stupid people practice their craft.

Anyway, couple of cars ahead of me, I see brake lights, and then I see those same brake lights start spinning. It was a 350 or 370Z doing a 360. Car ended up in a grassy median. Long and short of it, myself and a couple of other drivers pulled off to make sure the driver was OK. He was. Albeit a little shaken up. Young guy, early 20s on the way to work.

He said he was driving slow and all of a sudden he lost control. He had summer rubber on the Z and couldn't quite comprehend how that might not work in the snow. Anyway, aside from a busted chin spoiler, and probably some lower body bondo work and paint that will need to be done, I think both driver and car will be fine.

Of course, not sure what kind of damage is underneath (which could be major, given the body was almost touching the ground since the tires were buried).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    abacomike said:

andres3 said:

That ruling you cite is the correct and logical ruling based on the US Constitution. Some States get it right, some don't. Lots of contention for something that should be straight-forward, but greed and corruption gets in the way of doing the "right" thing. The other problem is the owner isn't necessarily the driver at the time of the infraction. Doesn't pass the "reasonable doubt" test at all.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

"tjc78
    At least Mike didn't post a Youtube Video which they are using as proof to convict people these days.

I've heard of that. There was a YouTube poster that demonstrated 200+ MPH in a Bugatti Veyron recently on AZ highways. I think they circumvented prosecution by claiming the video was taken in Mexico (but it sure looked like AZ). :):smile:
  • Options

If I determined that their failure to pay was by choice rather than inability I could stick them in the Crossbar Hilton for up to 180 days without a jury trial. However, in most cases I just made them pay a fixed amount per month and only summoned them back to court if they quit paying.
    You'd be surprised how many "flat broke" defendants came up with the money soon after the cell door clanged shut.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited January 2016
    driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

don't think anyone would get a red and black one..
    I remember them from the "good old days." That red and black with the "odd" side molding
    is even one of the advertised Fords that year.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    I wasn'so fond of the 1958, but I (heresy alert) always preferred the '57 Ford to its Chevrolet counterpart.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    The 58 Ford's style was an answer to a question that was never asked, relative to the 1957's grace. It was driven mostly by the change to quad headlights.

• Options

The 58 Ford's style was an answer to a question that was never asked, relative to the 1957's grace. It was driven mostly by the change to quad headlights.

Personally, I prefer the looks of the Chevy's front and rear end better than Ford's. Just a matter of taste. B)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Tomorrow, I have an inspector coming at 1:00 PM to complete a "Wind Mitigation Form" and sign it for insurance purposes. The inspection costs $60.00, but I have an immediate savings of $184.00 a year on my Condo Policy. I will use the $124.00 "net savings after inspection" to raise the insurance on the Condo Unit itself from $35,000 to $50,000. What that means is that if my Condo is totally destroyed (except for the concrete floors and ceilings), the insurance company will pay up to $50,000 to redo the plasterboard, carpeting, tile, kitchen and attached appliances and both bathrooms as well as a complete paint job. That includes replacing the front door, sliding glass door to the back patio, and any electrical and plumbing that might be necessary. The Condo association carries insurance for all exterior facades, roof, concrete walls between units, etc. So I would doubt that I would ever have a total loss mainly because every unit in the building has smoke and fire detectors wired to the phone lines. I will consult with the inspector tomorrow to see if, in his opinion, the $50,000 is sufficient. If he says I need more, I will increase it to the level he suggests.

The "Wind Mitigation Form" signed by a licensed inspector guarantees that the roof of the entire building meets or exceeds the new Hurricane Codes for Broward County and the State of Florida. We just had our roof replaced about 4 years ago. My Condo Policy will renew in March, but I expect the renewal in about 2-3 weeks.

So I am going to drive the completed form up to Royal Palm Beach (their offices are on PGA Blvd.) and have the changes made while I am there. It's about 45 miles from where I am but since I live just off the Florida Turnpike, it's a fast trip up there. Royal Palm Beach is just south of Jupiter. It will give me a chance to put some miles on the car at 65-70 mph which the car needs. Most of my driving is local. That way, I can have lunch at Chick-Fil-A because their offices are right next door to one in the mall up there.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

I can have lunch at Chick-Fil-A because their offices are right next door to one in the mall up there.

You'll have to try the Power Side which is a kale/broccoli salad. I may have suggested that before, but I like it.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Here in CT, if you are caught with an unregistered car, it does not qualify to driven on public roads, so in addition to your ticket, you get a tow, and probably have to call for a ride (unless you have outstanding warrants, then the police officer will be happy to give you a ride in the back of his cruiser.)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

abacomike said:

I can have lunch at Chick-Fil-A because their offices are right next door to one in the mall up there.

You'll have to try the Power Side which is a kale/broccoli salad. I may have suggested that before, but I like it.
    Imid, you certainly did recommend that new salad - but I also responded to your initial post about the newly added salad. I believe I mentioned something like, "...I don't go to Chick-Fil-A to eat grass and leaves - I go there to eat "chicken"!" But since you had the "nerve" to recommend the salad yet another time, I am going to try the salad Friday. Your powers of persuasion are uncanny! :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    (Cross-posted here from CCBA)

Interesting - a local GM dealer (not the one I bought my ATS from, though interestingly the sales guy I used now works at this place) has a new 2015 ATS advertised at $22,900. Original MSRP is $39,900 (all these are Cdn pricing in C$). Base model, 2.5 RWD, zero options I can see. But still, $17K off MSRP for a 2015 seems incredible. An acquaintance was moderately interested, reached out, and got a video email response from my former sales guy that he forwarded to me. The reply from the sales guy said yes, it is a real price, and he had the car in the video to prove it exists and did a brief walkaround. I have never heard of a 43+% discount on a new car. There must be a back story. Would love to know what it is.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6