Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• lwh3lwh3 Posts: 6
    I asked earlier about getting one of these, and I finally got one. None of the dealers in my area could get one, and those in my state tended to want full sticker for theirs. I drove from Virginia Beach to Philadelphia to get one at 3% over sticker. Love the car.

As I mentioned before, I plan to keep this car forever. In light of that, I would be interested in picking up a few items for future use -- e.g., an extra set of 40th anniversary floor mats for when these wear out, etc. My local dealer says that it can't be done. I can't find anything online. Anyone have an idea?
  • I had a friend with the 40th Anniversary Bonneville (1997), he did the same thing with mats and emblems. Expensive compared to regular mats. May want to consider buying the Grand Prix Rubber mats or regular cloth mats for daily use and save your 40th mats for show. May also want to pick up and extra shift knob while they are available. As far as the 40th mats, have the dealer check the interior parts groups for the mats, not the accessories section, thats where my friend found the part number for his.
  • lwh3lwh3 Posts: 6
    You are a constant fount of info.
  • Hey everyone,

I'm new to this message board. Considering that I am really gaining informative knowledge with the kinds of reviews and postings in here, I would like to ask everyone for some advice.

Basically, I am currently seeking the purchase of a new car and have had two main ones in mind. One is the 2002 Grand Prix GTP coupe (auto). The other is the 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8t (5A).

I possess the kind of personality who like cars that are fun to drive. I currently have a 2001 Honda Civic Si and find it boring to drive.

FYI, I tend to sometimes have a heavy foot and may like to drive cars "hard" at times (i.e. not necessary rough, but you can say, "push the car").

Any suggestions? Does the cars outlined above suit my personality? If not, can you please suggest one?
  • hengheng Posts: 411
    Why don't you test drive the 2 cars and then tell us what you like and don't like about them.

They are very different vehicles and don't compare well by just looking at the specs. They will have very different character. Keep in mind that the Grand Prix's 3.8 motor has really good torque that translates into instant response. I'll venture to say that the Jetta's turbo 1.8 needs to be rev'd up for it to come alive. Us Grand Prix owners are obviously biased to the big torque method of performance.

I'll also venture to say that you might be initially intimidated by the Grand Prix size. Compared to the Civic, the GP is huge and you may not feel comfortable with it during a test drive. But believe us, Grand Prixs with the 3.8 motor and ESPECIALLY the GTPs are go-fast cars.

Look out if the car you test drive has Goodyear Eagle LS tires. They are kind of mediocre and detract from the GPs handling.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    A GTP should not have Goodyear LS tires anyway. All GTPs come with Goodyear RS-A tires. They are pretty good, applicable to a wide range of situations.
    GTP blows the Jetta out of the water
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    if you travel a long way in the GLS, you might suffer from "JETta LAG" :)

Go for the Grand Prix! I had one and loved it, but got bit by the fever for a new Jeep Wrangler.

Hi to all my old buddies here. I still have my Jeep and still love it, but I definitely miss the best car I ever owned, that sweet little 2000 Grand Prix GT.

tsjay (tom)
  • While both cars are good, you will get more bang for the buck with a GTP.

Plus, you can put in a lot of usefull mods to boost performance if you need to.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    And the GP is far more reliable, according to Consumer Reports...
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,022
    Found this today on www.autoextremist.com, accompanied by some big red downward-pointing arrows:

"Pontiac. From the "Not Good" Department comes word that the '03 Grand Prix is looming to be a major disappointment. Our spies tell us that it looks like either a bloated Grand Am or an anemic Bonneville, take your pick - with an exaggerated "beak" on the front end that veers wildly toward being butt-ugly. Paging Maximum Bob... "

Dear me, Wayne Cherry strikes again. When will GM learn??

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

I have seen pictures that were leaked a few months ago. Someone went to a presentation and snuck in a camera and took pictures of the next GP that were projected onto a white screen.

The damn thing looked quite ugly.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Yep, it had the Cherry touch...
    Wasn't it the GP that Lutz ordered redone because its front end looked like the dreadful Aztek's? Or so I hope... :^/
    Lutz just came in recently. The bad-looking next GP pictures leaked out a few months ago. They did not look like Aztek. Those pictures were like a Taurus' front-end with overgrown Sunfire's rear end.
  • smily1smily1 Posts: 104
    Have all the spy photos been stripped off the net? Does anyone know the stats for the power plant? I hope they dont drop the performance aspect of the gp.
    Taurus' front end and Sunfire's rear end? That the recipe for a nightmare! :^P

Do you know if its picture is still out there somewhere in the Net?

TIA
    GM went after those people who snuck out the pictures and posted them on the GP Owners forum.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,022
    The only thing I heard Lutz ordered along those lines was a redo of the Cadillac CTS front end which Edmunds (rightly so) describes as bulldozer-like. Apparentrly Lutz sketched out a smoother, lower version and gave it to the designers, saying "make it so".

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

It's sort of the same story that I read somewhere, but it also mentioned Pontiac and some relation of that front-end to Aztek's... Now it's all shuffled up in my memory!
    CTS is basically ready for production. It was revealed at the auto shows before Lutz came on board. So if it is true that he can make them modify the CTS just like that, gives me hope that he will be able to improve the GP.
    I actually think that it's impossible to change CTS' front end. The car has already been presented to the public and pre-production units have already been sent to the press for evaluation. Unless it's easier than I imagine to stop the train once it's moving... ;^)
  • Hi all. I am probibly going to get into a 99 or 00 GTP. I havent decided on the 2 door or 4 door. I need some opinions from owners of the GTP. Does anyone have any complaints? Is there way too much torque steer? I currently have an AWD Talon. I am pleased with the car (I can really rip around in the snow). The performance is good, (i kicked the [non-permissible content removed] out of my buddies 98 GTP, but absoultly love his car). I live in Minnesota, so would also like to know how the GTP handles under bad road conditions. Please give me your input on this beautiful car, and give me your opinions on the 2 vs 4 door.
    Thanks alot
    Matt
    GTP is great. Torque steer is very little, surprisingly so. Even when GTP first came out, the reviewers noted how little torque steer it had, considering the power of the engine.

Please tell us how you managed to beat your buddy's GTP. Was he going in reverse at the time?
    Although I no longer own a Grand Prix, I can tell you that my 2000 GT was a perfect car. I only traded it because I wanted a Jeep Wrangler and couldn't have both.

I had the four door and was never sorry that I chose that over a two door. The Grand Prix is the only car that I can think of that looks just as good or even better in the four door version vs. the two door. I would definitely get the four door again if I were to get another Grand Prix. (And I WOULD be getting another Grand Prix, if I were going to buy a car.)

The convenience of the four door is immeasurable vs. the two door, but I put looks at the top of the priority list. If I thought the two door looked better, that's what I would have gotten, despite the inconvenience. Fortunately, you can have both the convenience and the good looks with the Grand Prix four door sedan.

That baby of mine was the only car that I have owned (and there have been MANY) that never had to go back to the dealer for any kind of warranty repairs or adjustments. I put almost 20K miles on mine, and never had the first problem with it. I only traded it in because I wanted a Jeep so bad.

I don't know where else you would get the looks, the performance, the fuel economy, the comfort, the trunk space, the dependability, etc. of a Grand Prix for anywhere near the same amount of money. They are great cars!

tom
  • smily1smily1 Posts: 104
    I owned a 97 gtp two door. We bought it one week before we found out my wife was pregnant. One year later we traded it in for a 4 door Explorer. Just last month we bought a 99 gtp in the 4 door. I love it. Its easier opening your door in the garage or in a parking lot since the drivers door is shorter on the 4 door model (you are less likely to hit something when opening). Passengers will also thank you.
  • gweilogweilo Posts: 118
    Any problems with this car? I've been looking at the Impala but there seems to be some problems with the intermediate steering shaft and the aluminum engine cradle.
    I realize no car is perfect.
    What are the known issues with the GPGT?
  • 18K miles on my 2000 GT and still happy. Good acceleration and good ride quality. Just took a 400 mile trip each way last weekend and hit 29.5 MPG average.

Problems: I have had is the automatic temperature control system. There was one of the icons blinking on and off strangely. The system worked but it was annoying and is under warranty so they replaced the unit.

The second problem I have had is that the sunroof is a little noisy. When I hit bumps, I hear squeaks from the sunroof. I haven't had the dealer check this out yet.

Overall, fairly minor problems.
    You can tell from my post #1256 above that I was totally happy with my 2000 GT as far as the car itself. I only traded it because I wanted a Jeep so bad.

All I can tell you beyond what I said in that post is that it seemed that almost everyone that was posting in here was also very happy with their GP's. There were almost no negative posts by owners of Grand Prix's! That ought to tell you something! You can go to almost any other discussion for a particular vehicle and find a large percentage of the posts to be negative. That sure was not the case here when I was actively involved in this discussion.

I would definitley get another GT or maybe even a GTP if I were going to buy another car!

I have had my little Jeep Wrangler for a year now, and I am very happy with it. I still wish I could have had the Jeep and kept the Grand Prix, but there was no way.

Hope this helps.

tsjay
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    I had the same problem recently with my Regal GS. The squeaking occured with the sunroof closed and heard when the sunshade was open.

What cured the problem was a silicone base rubber compound that was liberally applied to the outer weather stripping. As explained to me, although not necessary visible, the outer black weather stripping can be dried and cracked. By applying the rubber compound (comes in a vaseline-like tube for $6.95) over the outer stripping, this solved my squeaking problem.

The mechanic at the dealership gave me the compound and told me to apply it every six months. For the past 4 months, haven't heard a squeak! Hope this helps!!