Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Audi A6

Comments

• Options
    wpwilliamwpwilliam Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your thoughts on this. I bought this car from a dealer in Houston (NXCESS Motors on eBay). It will be a big help to know how to turn the compressor off. Thanks!
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    My 2005 A6 3.2 has now passed 6,000 miles. It is getting better all the time in every way I can imagine to share with you.

It has two "issues":

#1 I make a lease payment and I get a new Advanced Key "start engine" switch (I am on switch #4). The dealer's A6 "expert" (service, not sales expert) says he believes a "fix" is in the works (a new switch design that places durability as its top quality.)

#2 Without rhyme or reason the DSP Bose settings for surround sound on both Sirius and CD will revert to "normal" repeatedly. The dealer has reported this to Audi and "guesses" there will be an MMI or Bose DSP "ptf" (program fix) upcoming -- but it will not rise to the level of "campaign."

Otherwise: engine power and fuel mileage have both improved noticeably. The all-season tires are nearly silent, seem to wear well but frankly are uninspiring in terms of their contribution to the car's apparent handling capabilities (I say apparent since the tires do their best to obscure these capabilities.)

Nothing has broken (other than a small chip in the front window where a stone hit the glass), everything works and works like a jeweled watch.

Complaints? Well, how about suggestions for improvement? Sure:

Voice Command works VERY WELL, but -- the memory is forever getting full (when you have Sirius Radio, plus AM & FM, the memory for "storing stations" seems to be about 25% of what it "ought to be.") Also with respect to voice command, it MUST BE MADE standard equipment for all A6's with MMI (which is all of them) since there are 82 "buttons and knobs and switches" that may be fiddled with by the driver. I had tire pressure monitoring on my last 2003 Audi -- never needed it (glad I had it, but never needed it), now it is standard on the A6, voice command is vital, tpm is good to have, but if you could have but one, the point is, get Voice.

Voice Command -- at $350 -- should be included and if you buy one without voice command "what are you thinking?" Especially if you plan to use the telephone "hands and eyes free" while driving (which is, after all, the ONLY way to safely, even remotely safely use a telephone when you are the driver of a moving vehicle.)

Voice Command should be expanded to "do more stuff" -- the climate control, the heated seats (at least the driver's), and make it more useful with the Navigation System for Pete's sake. Shamelessly imitate and rip-off the Inifiniti M and Acura RL's systems voice command capabilities in fact.

Make the steering column power actuated -- this would NOT effect my purchase decisions (having had three cars with it and many more without), but it would be a factor during pre-purchase comparisons.

Offer more wheel/tire combinations.

Lower the final drive ratio by 2% to 3 % and raise the ratio of 6th gear to compensate for the mileage hit such a lowering would / could cause.

Or: improve the torque by at least 5% in numbers and have it come to full boil several hundred RPM's lower.

Offer more colors (exterior and interior).

Keep full maintenance, like BMW.

Advertise about 500% more.

==========

I don't know if I would have loved the M35X I nearly bought more, less or just the same -- I do know this A6 is better, by far, than my 1997 A8 ever was (even after I put the full S8 suspension treatment on it.)

I'd give this car an "easy" 9 (on a 10 point scale) and a not too hard "9.25 - 9.5."

BTW -- I have the Audi accessory that "builds in" the Sony bluetooth phone -- don't leave home without it.

:shades:
  • Options
    I am not certain, but I think it is possible that the compressor is NEVER fully disengaged even when "econ" mode is selected.

However, the A6 can be placed into Auto/Econ mode which effectively reduces by about 98%+ any cooling capabilities. The fan in such a mode remains in auto mode and there appears to be virtually no cooling going on. I had read somewhere, however, that the compressor has no "fully off" position, rather it has a "mostly off" position -- which is called "econ."

The dealer service manager should know the skinny.
  • Options
    marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    I don't mind tapping the fan buttons so much, rather how the fan blower motor "squeals" in cold weather on my A6 until the cabin warms up. Absolutely no problem in warm weather, only for the first 15 minutes or so of cold weather, but a VERY annoying 15 minutes!
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    Does anyone know if it is either hard on the engine or harmful to start a car repeatedly with the compressor on? As you (may) know, many German cars do not have a simple "off" button for the auto climate control, forcing you to tap the fan button repeatedly until it's off. With this being the case it encourages you to keep it on all the time.
  • Options
    drive4fundrive4fun Member Posts: 5
    You're definitely correct about the complexity of the A6. I received my A6 about 2 weeks ago and haven't had time to lean even half the functions. The NAV system is a pain, b/c it actually has too many roads. For instance, when I used it last week, it had Chapel Rd, East Chapel Rd, and West Chapel Rd!

Like you, I've been pleased with the mileage so far. I've been getting about 26 MPG with the V-8, which is quite good for a car that is yet to be broken-in. The growl from the engine and its responsiveness to throttle inputs is amazing.

The only problem I have with the car is a long slashlike dent below the driver's side door received courtesy of my parking garage and some very minor rattling in the glovebox area.

FYI, on my 2006, the DSP surround settings seem to be retained. Also, I have an electric steering wheel and my start key seems solid so far.
  • Options
    legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    "I disagree. The beauty of such a complicated automobile such as the A6 is that you set the desired temp and leave it alone. The car does all the work for you, with its thermostat, sun sensor, etc... It baffles me to read people who toy with the blower ratios, etc." --- "Most people set the temp and leave it alone. A few toy with them constantly. If a person is of the latter group, then maybe a simple Neon would be better"

The there seems to be on this board an attitude among some that if others don't think and do as they do then they must be dumb, lame or confused. I take issue and offense to this crude and inappropriate way of responding to alternate points of view. This is a public forum, to be enjoyed by all, not dominated by those who presume to sit in judgement of how others should operate their cars, or when or if a question is relevant or topical.

It is certainly fine to say that you disagree, and to give the reasons why, but this steady harangue on blower speeds or octane rating, or setting one's home thermostat, is simply uncalled for. As for the Neon comment, that's just plain rude and disrespectful. Who do you think you are to be so judgemental, demeaning and condescending? Do you presume to speak for all Audi-dom? How you choose to operate your car in Texas is your business. The fact that you do things one way, doesn't mean we all should do it the same way, nor does it mean that YOUR way, is the "right way".

For the record, some people have different needs and comfort levels than others. Some people need or enjoy a certain amount of airflow over their face in order to remain comfortable, notwithstanding temperature setting. Moreover, in some parts of the country, such as the southwest, where temperatures are routinely 90 degrees farenheit or higher, one may find themselves getting in a very hot and uncomfortable car. When the temp is set to LO (cold) the fan turns up to its highest -- and loudest -- setting. If one is trying to back up in reverse, or enter traffic, or take a call, or converse with a passenger, that very loud fan speed can be a distraction or problem, and often needs to be turned down, if only temporarily. Then there are those who suffer from asthma, who cannot tolerate cold air blowing on them with force. These people too are concerned with fan speed.

In other cars, turning down the fan speed, just like turning the radio dial, is a simple affair. On some Audi's, it's more difficult, and can require two or more turns or pushes of dials or switches.
    This gentleman, and others, have every right to beef about Audi's habit of making simple things inordinately difficult. This FACT has been written up repeatedly in virtually every auto magazine in recent years. The MMI is one glaring example that has been roundly criticised in the American print media.

In sum, there are many aspects of an Audi car that are outstanding. And there are some that ain't.
    Coming to this board to vent or suggest a fix by Audi seems a worthy use of this board. I for one, enjoy hearing about other people's ownership experiences -- unfettered and unvarnished -- thank you very much.
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I agree.

The problem with climate control is that it controls temperature and volume. The end result is a system that decides how much air you want and what temperature it should be. I usually like some air blowing…but not directly in my face (as opposed to my wife that likes a hurricane in her face).

An Infiniti I used to own (in winter) would start off on high heat and fan, but then would turn the fan down and keep the temp high. This annoyed me because I prefer more air volume with the temperature less than scalding…so I fiddled.

Some times when you’re really cold or hot you want the car colder or warmer than normal (based on temp setting) till your “core” temperature settles. I supposed they need sensors to measure the persons body temp to decide this.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    not to turn different perspectives into personal confrontations. Different strokes for different folks and all ...
  • Options
    Although there certainly are SOME critical articles pertaining to MMI, the vast majority of articles where these "interfaces" are discussed generally criticize i-Drive and suggest that MMI is "more intuitive." Indeed, I have read articles that say MMI represents the way it should be done. I dunno about that, since I am still somewhat on the fence about the absolute efficacy of these systems (at their current state of development.)

But, full disclosure, I remember Windows 2.0 and 3.0 being introduced when DOS was the OS du jour for the most popular PC programs (e.g., spreadsheets, word processing, etc.) -- and I thought it was crazy to use a mouse to click on an icon when it was easier (at the time) to simply key "WORD" at the command prompt to start up WordPerfect.

To me, then, the current i-Drive and MMI type interfaces seem as primitive as Windows 2.0. When test driving an Acura last year, I thought the Acura approach was "the best" interface evolution I had seen -- and even that was not as elegant as I suspect we will see in a year or three.

However, having said all this, MMI WITH VOICE COMMAND is (as I recall my earlier grading) about a B+.

For $53,000+ for a car, I think we humans can do better.

As far as fiddling with A/C and other controls go -- the only comment I can add is that these "universal control systems" (such as i-Drive and MMI) should NOT be fiddled with while driving until more advanced voice commands become the norm.

As an example, Sirius shuffled their channel numbers and station assignments recently -- and I had previously set 25 stations via voice command. Imagine my chagrin when I commanded "Play Fox News" and the stand-up comedy channel played instead. I darn near wrecked as I violated my own rules by attempting to find the new home of Fox News while driving and without voice prompting to allow me to do so "hands and eyes free."

I dunno about the Neon comment, I didn't think it was INTENDED to be crude and offensive. But perception (each individual's perception) is reality and I accept that some could be offended and some amused & bemused.

I don't know enough about any other system -- since I have an A6. However, getting any of the current crop of LPS cars without voice command capabilities is IMHO a recipe for a potential "driver distraction" related accident.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,508
    I'm going to go with bemused.

Don't care for the Neon, but it (& the Focus, the A2/3, plus many others) does in fact offer much of what I seek. Stone reliable simplicity. A little luxury is nice as well, but it's becoming apparent that there may be a certain amount of mutual exclusivity, once that bit is added.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    Climate control:
    Current controls are ridiculous they require too many steps and change the display on the MMI screen. Your driving and using the NAV map, you change the temp or blower setting and the map is no longer displayed and yes I know the trick of pressing the fan button again to revert back to the map display. BTW I change my temp and blower settings from time to time and see nothing wrong with those of us that do. I also find it amusing and frustrating that the settings don't stick. The car has a mind of it's own. You set the fan speed to 5 and it changes to another speed on its own.

Voice commands:
    "Personally" I rarely use them. The Audi lady hates outside noise and if others are talking in the car there's no way she can make heads or tails of what the command is. You have to tell everyone in the car to shut up and then when the Audi lady needs you to tell her "yes" to complete the command everyone laughs. She then says pardon and then it's back to square one. IMHO the only real good use for voice command and unbelievably we don't have it, is for imputing town and street addresses for the Nav . I was really pissed off that I ordered voice recognition and that it does not have that capability. I find inputting that info manually very unsafe while driving and we all do it.

BTW except for the temp and fan control the other buttons are easy for me to use and do not distract my driving at all, while others are distracted and would rather use voice commands.

Now don't get me started about those stupid wiper blades and those rain sensor wipers that don't sweep when you stop at a red light.
  • Options
    alschultzalschultz Member Posts: 2
    Hard to imagine. Actually, I am not sure that the AC compressor is engaged when the car is started even if the controls are set to "on." Ours seems to start up after the car is started.
  • Options
    I think you are correct. I believe that all "new" cars when started do not have the AC engaged.
  • Options
    I too could not believe that you cannot enter a city, street/intersection with the Audi voice system. I use the voice for my built in phone, the CD and the Sat Radio, mostly.

I think the paucity of commands is not acceptable.

However, a little beats nothing with so many buttons, etc to contend with.

Add improved Nav commands and climate control commands to name a couple and this thing would be at the minimal level of acceptable based on my expectations.

Not to contradict myself, the system, as is works with only rare "PARDON?" responses from the Audi lady -- so perhaps it is at the minimum level of acceptability after all. It does need to do more, however.
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I agree, and that is what I was referring to with the Neon. I had the unfortunate need to rent a Neon for the 2 months that my car was in the shop after an accident with an unlicensed motorist. The Neon is simplistic in its controls (like the cars of old). The climate controls consist of a knob for "blower" with settings of 0-3, and a knob for "temp" with settings from 3 red (heat) lines to settings for 3 blue (cool) lines. It makes adjusting the AC simple.

Personally, I don't like it. Maybe because all my life I've had cheapo cars that don't really have climate control systems... but I love the fact that the A6 has a thermostat and it will decide when to turn up the fan or turn it down. I don't have to keep switching the blower all the time and can just focus on driving.

I have no qualms with those who like to "tweak" their climate controls, I just personally don't do it and am surprised by people that wish to. Nothing wrong with it, just surprises me, and perhaps Audi as well, and maybe that is why some of the "less used CC options" are hidden further into the MMI. They likely didn't expect people to need access to them as frequently or while driving... just a guess as I have no inner ear with Audi.

BTW, an apology to Markcincinnati. If anyone should be spokesman for "Audi-dom" (not my choice of word), it should be you with your 29 (?) Audi purchases in the past. I would expect you have their ear when you speak...
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Not to contradict myself, the system, as is works with only rare "PARDON?" responses from the Audi lady -- so perhaps it is at the minimum level of acceptability after all. It does need to do more, however."

Hmmm, isn't MMI programmable so that for the Cincinnati area folks it could say "SORRY?" instead? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    cthuskercthusker Member Posts: 4
    We have a 3.2 2005 A6 with 3000 miles. It came with ContiProContact 245/40 R18 tires(18" rims). We live in hill country in CT and we average 45"+ of snow each year. Any recommendations on which winter/snow tires to put on all 4 wheels? I probably will buy 4 steel rims on which I will mount the snows when I do this.
  • Options
    dpedersen1dpedersen1 Member Posts: 33
    Mark - I haven't been on this board for a year or more, last I heard you had moved away from Audi! Though I am not surprised you stayed, once an Audi driver always. My 2002 A6 2.6T lease is up in Jan 2006, so the hunt is underway. Current preferences in decending order. Also, for all the non-Audi drivers reading this, my A6 was great, no real troubles (wiper blades, brakes once, airbag light) after 3 yrs and 29,000 miles. I will miss the bi-turbo!

1) A6 3.2 + Tech + S-Line + Prem - wow what a great car!
    2) Acura Rl - nice - bluetooth works with my Treo great (not sure yet on A6), but drives not as well
    3) Infinity M35x - nice, great fun toys, if it exists, they have it, but bluetooth is goofy and the drive is not as nice
    4) Lexus, BMW, MB and others

Doug - Utah
  • Options
    In Cincinnati we do not say SORRY or PARDON.

For reasons that I cannot explain and don't understand, we say "PLEASE?"

I've only been here since 1977.
  • Options
    I HAD put my money down on the M35X.

At the 11th hour AoA and my local dealer, made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the car that I would have ordered when I ordered the Infiniti had the deal not been so bad on the Audi.

The net was almost a $200 per month lease concession from the introductory deals.

I love this Audi, but my wife predicts it will be my last because Audi did what it did ONCE and only ONCE.

31 months to go.
  • Options
    Now that you mention it, it was the "PLEASE" thing that always threw me, not "SORRY". My bad. :blush: So, can your program your MMI to say "PLEASE" instead of "PARDON"? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Excuse me?

Couldn't resist.

As far as I know, no changes to the MMI programming are possible without $$$ to someone.

I happily use it as it is and wish it had about 100 more commands it would accept, but maybe next time -- it still beats a blank.
  • Options
    As it seems likely that my next ride will be an A3 (I'm still undecided on the NAV system), I wonder if the same functionality of the A6 MMI system is integrated into the NAV system of the A3. Have you had a chance to compare the two?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    The A3 is MMI-like as is the A4. The navigation system appears to be virtually identical on the A3, 4 and 6 (and probably the A8, too for that matter.)

I would NOT get a new car without navigation -- I drive between Cincinnati, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Lexington, Lousiville, Dayton and sometimes Indianapolis. Time after time, navi just takes me where I need to go with no fuss and with more time spent paying attention to driving and less to a mapquest print out or something else that can be quite the distraction.

The A3, at this moment would be my choice over the A4 with the 3.2 and quattro once it becomes offered in the A3. The reason? The new BMW 3 has bettered the 2005.5 A4 in many areas. The A4 needs a bit of a refreshening to get it to THAT level. The A3 just feels right in so many ways.

Now, having said that, I must confess I have NOT driven the 2006 A4 3.2 with the stick shift and S-Line. A version so equipped could change everything vis a vis the BMW 330xi.
  • Options
    "The A3, at this moment would be my choice over the A4 with the 3.2 and quattro once it becomes offered in the A3."

Yeah, I know that you are a Quattro kind of guy. ;-) I on the other hand am a 2WD kind of guy, preferring RWD, FWD and then AWD in that order. That and the fact that I am also a lover of turbocharged engines has me looking at an A3 2.0T 6-Speed with three pedals under the dash. ;-) My only concession to the winter elements here in hilly/snowy New Hamphire is that I will buy a set of winter rubber for the A3 (or whatever else I ultimately wind up with).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Turbo…

On a related note, does anybody know if the direct injection (3.2 V6) suffers from high altitude as normally aspirated engines do?

Nice thing about turbos (2.0T), you can run it at 5280ft and still make 200hp :)
  • Options
    "On a related note, does anybody know if the direct injection (3.2 V6) suffers from high altitude as normally aspirated engines do?"

Yes it does, guaranteed. All normally aspirated engines, regardless of how the fuel and air is mixed, have a critical altitude of zero, as in sea level. Anything below that and your potential for horsepower goes up, anything above that and said horsepower goes down. Blown engines on the other hand typically have a critical altitude that ranges anywhere from 5,000' MSL to as much as 20,000' MSL (although I seriously doubt that any car ever built can reach 20K without suffering significant power reductions). My bet is that most turbocharged cars are probably somewhere around 7,500' MSL before their power starts to degrade with altitude.

Having said all of that, I've driven any number of blown engines over the likes of Loveland and Independence passes, and while the engines were more than capable at high altitudes, I found the lack of high octane fuel the limiting factor. The problem here is that normally aspirated engines simply cannot take advantage of high octane fuels at altitude (at least not without lots of mixture control), and as such, I've yet to find a single gas station west of central Colorado that sells true Premium (as in 91 octane or above). Of course maybe times have changed, but the last time I drove a turbo into the Rockies (1992), Premium fuel ranged from 87 to 89, and when climbing I could actually feel the OBC struggling (as in surging, and then audible pinging, and then power reductions, and then back to surging) to keep the combustion process properly controlled.

As the aircraft industry found out back in the 1920s, nothing beats a turbocharger for high altitude piston engine performance.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    ftlnewaudiftlnewaudi Member Posts: 13
    The car I ordered came in as promised within 10 weeks. I am now enjoying a 2006 A6 4.2, Dakar Beige Metallic with Amaretto Interior.
    Options: Tech Pkg, Sport Seats, Wood/Lthr steering wheel and wood shifter.

The car is beautiful and the V8 is very smooth and sounds so sweet. Gas mileage around town (with a heavy foot in sport mode) has not been good - about 10-13 mpg. But a few short trips to Boca and West Palm Beach showed the hwy mileage not so bad - about 25-27 mpg.

I was concerned about how I would like the steering wheel since the 2006's were not in the showroom when I ordered and I could not try it before buying. But I must say that I personally think it looks great in the car, has felt fine while driving and the paddle shifters are a cool toy to manage all that V8 power.

A few problems to note; the DVD Nav system was DOA. The dealer swears that they totally checked the car but the system would not read several DVDs that we tried during the delivery process. The other minor problem is a button on the power steering column that is supposed to set the option for the wheel to motor out of the way when the ignition is turned off - it does nothing at all. Will be getting both repaired later this week.

I haven't had an Audi since the "unintended acceleration" debacle of the Audi 5000 (which was a great car.) Even with the minor delivery problems I am loving the new A6...learning MMI...and looking forward to years of fun.
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Did you order the car? If so that was a quick delivery...It sounds like fun, and I hope to join you in a couple of months, unless my a8 comes in more quickly...Have fun...Tony
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    Sounds like a beautiful car.

Let us know how the fixes go and safe motoring!
  • Options
    dpedersen1dpedersen1 Member Posts: 33
    An update on my search (t-minus 3.5 months until current 42-month lease expires on my A6).

1) A6 3.2 - the AOA loyalty and other incentives hopefully will kick in here soon.
    2) MB E350 - drove and it was very very nice .. comments on others who have driven this car vs. the A6?
    3) Acura RL
    4) Infinity M35x
  • Options
    Great list! You can't go wrong with any of them, especially if you're leasing...

The only usual player missing from your list is the 5 series.

Please let us know how your impressions of each are after test drives. :)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You should join us in the Luxury Performance Sedans discussion. We're talking about all of those vehicles. :)
  • Options
    ftlnewaudiftlnewaudi Member Posts: 13
    I have noticed many references in this forum about problems people are having with the Start switch in the A6. While at Audi last week getting a new DVD Nav deck installed (which works great now) I mentioned that I had heard about a lot of problems with the Advanced Key switch failing. Apparently they had just experienced this on a lady's A6 recently.

Now I can not verify this since mine has not had a problem during my first 400 miles...but the service advisor told me that it seems like there is a problem with the Start switch losing communication with the rest of the car's software. They had worked with a technician in Germany and found a "reboot" process. Here is their tip....hold the Stop button down for 3 seconds. This is supposed to "reboot" the Start process and this advisor claims it worked great on the car they had in the shop at the time.

Like I said I have not needed to try this out but anyone experiencing a malfunctioning Start button might want to give it a try.
  • Options
    jonwardjonward Member Posts: 8
    I've read the releases about Audi/and the Palm Treo 650 playing nicely together. The fine print says only the Treo GSM model works with the car. That's no good for me because we have to use Verizon here on Lake Nowhere. What I would like to know is whether the CDMA Treo works with the A6. What works and what doesn't? Is there a better phone to use?

Thanks
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I haven't been on this forum in quite a while. I thought I would see what the latest news is on the A6. I'm amazed that on the new A6 one can't turn up/down the blower and the temp with simple, discrete knobs. Like Porsche and Volvo among others. Audi has a rep for chronic problems, disgruntled owners, and not great resale. (I think even MarkCincinatti and others said a couple of years ago "that you never, ever want to own one of these things out of warranty".) Why would they want to go down the i Drive path with MMI? What did it get BMW?

This is America. We are an impatient society. A lot of people with the wherewithal to lease/own an A6 are Type A personalities. Yes, I'd prefer the Neon's (and those in my Porsche) controls.
  • Options
    kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    I have an 05 4.2. You can change the temperature with the turn of a single knob. To change the fan speed you push a single button and then turn a single knob. It is really very easy.
  • Options
    I have said and continue to say "do not own one of these out of the warranty period." Get it CPO'd if you must keep it beyond 50,000 miles.

Having said that, I must add that this "opinion" applies to any car -- but I must say especially any German or European car or any "high buck" Japanese car.

The cost of warranties to 100K are relatively inexpensive (as insurance policies) and I favor them.

By the same token, had I chosen a Cadillac STS or SRX or a Chrysler 300C AWD, I would NOT want one of these outside of the warranty period either.

I wonder how much Magna Ride costs to fix or replace, for instance?

The Hemi engine is great, I have driven it, but I will assume it would be very expensive to repair if something went bump on it at 90,000 miles.

I would for any [new] car, these days, not run naked.

This is an opinion, was then, is now -- reason: these cars (especially the Germans) are "breathtakingly expensive" to repair and maintain.

The first service interval alone on a Touareg is almost $500 (the first service that is more than an oil change, that is.)

I'll bet a Cayenne is really expensive -- how about a 7 series BMW out of warranty, etc.

My uncle buys old, used, beaters for cash -- even he spends a ton of money on tires, brakes, wipers and such to get a beater into "safe and sound" condition -- in his case, if he buys a beater, puts a couple thou into it to make it whole, so to speak and the engine blows up, he just abandons the car and starts over.

Most of us don't do that.

While I think I could see keeping my A6 3.2 for years (more than 3), I still do not want to have it without the protection of the Audi CPO warranty that is offered at 49,999 miles to "me" as the next owner, should I keep my 2005 A6 longer than I have previously.

I'm thinking a bit smaller car, however, makes sense, or a diesel A6 if one ever comes to the US.

Additionally, the MMI is better and easier, IMHO, than i-Drive. But a small cavity is better than a root canal -- if you get my drift. :shades:

You can change the fan speed with a dial -- and it is pretty simple.

The radio requires a bit more than I would like, but -- I have voice command and it works great.

I consider voice command on the new A6 mandatory -- there are 82 buttons and dials and knobs on the darn thing (for the driver to play with, no less.)

I shudder to think how many there would be without MMI.
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Mark, thanks for the thoughtful post. I suspect that part of the allure of the big SUV/pickup is the perception that it looks rugged and "what the hell, its a Chevy (or Ford, or whatever) and Joe down at the garage can fix it after it is out of warranty." I don't think that this is necessarily true but I do think that the perception is out there. In non-metropolitan areas of the Northeast (i.e., all except NYC and Boston) I think the LPS market is thin because that demographic is still buying SUVs and cross overs that they may perceive as more dependable (and certainly more reliable transportation come winter).

Speaking of breath taking expenses, many late model Range Rovers encounter problems with their air suspension bags. The fix is supposedly 4K. The solution a lot of people have turned to is to just install four coil springs all the way around with shocks and throw away the air suspension. While this isn't cheap, it solves the problem once and for all.
  • Options
    I celebrate my one year anniversary with my C6 A6 next week. I have to say, I've been very happy with it and have no major problems to speak of. It drives great, and seems to be just now getting even more "peppy" with acceleration. I guess I'm fortunate, but I've not once had any starter button problems.

I was reading the autoweek review of the A6 today and thinking how great the car really is....fast, best interior in its class, and top in safety (I also know from personal experience).

Coming home, I tested how many buttons it took to either adjust the blower speed or adjust the vent blower pattern. There are buttons for each...just press the appropriate button then turn the climate control knob to the desired setting. Two steps, neither associated with the MMI.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the car. I agree with Mark, though, that I am not the kind of person to take a risk and go commando on any LPS out of warranty. None of the top LPS have great reliability, and with all the new electronics, I wouldn't risk it...
  • Options
    I tested how many buttons it took to either adjust the blower speed or adjust the vent blower pattern. There are buttons for each...just press the appropriate button then turn the climate control knob to the desired setting. Two steps, neither associated with the MMI.

Could you please share with me where the two buttons are that are not associated with MMI system?

When I press the blower speed button, the MMI screen comes on, displaying a large fan icon. I then turn the thermostat button to the desired fan speed. The fan speed is displayed on the MMI screen, then a few seconds later, the radio screen appears, and display of the fan speed disappears.

As for vent blower pattern, a similar outcome occurs -- icons for vents appear on the MMI display screen.

How is the MMI not accessed when performing these functions?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    The MMI is considered the operator control program associated with the turn-wheel, 4 associated buttons, and 8 outside buttons located between the driver and passenger seats. It is the main program for accessing many of the car's functions. To access the MMI, one must press one of the 8 outer buttons to enter that particular menu.

The LCD screen is merely a screen to display visuals. I personally do not consider the LCD screen the same as MMI. Just because something appears on the LCD does not make it an MMI function. Just like when turning the thermostat dial, the LCD pops up showing the temp in large letters...

For specific picure, see the following: image

One does not need to enter the MMI program to adjust the vent blower speed or the vent distribution. One only needs to press that particular button on the climate control area of the dash and then dial the climate knob.

PS: Hope you read German! ;)
  • Options
    The LCD screen is merely a screen to display visuals. I personally do not consider the LCD screen the same as MMI. Just because something appears on the LCD does not make it an MMI function.

The screen is an integral part of the MMI, just as a computer monitor is integral to the practical use of a computer and keyboard.

As to the vent blower system and vent distibution, you are correct that they can be operated without the MMI. Nevertheless, the MMI system is integrated with the climate controls -- synchronizing the dual thermostats would be but one example.
  • Options
    . . .that are within the driver's sphere of influence and control (82 if you have pushutton start and stop), the MMI makes almost everything easier and safer.

I still maintain Audi needs to add more commands to the voice system -- and that the voice command system MUST BE included on this car as standard. If Audi won't make it standard, the prospective buyer must at least consider this a serious safety feature if the car is purchased with Premium Sound, Navigation and if you ever intend to use a phone while the car is moving (other than by using the accessory mounting of the phone in the arm rest which simultaneously makes the use of the phone safer but also demands the use of voice activation to control the phone.)

I think Audi should add control of the A/C to voice, for instance. I also think that the voice recognition system seems so good that they could add programming the navigation by voice rather than simply by name tag would be the next logical step.

The seat warmers and even the power windows and rear window defogger, too, could be added.

I cannot even imagine how difficult and dangerous this car would be without MMI -- and yet I give it a B+ -- iDrive seems like it must be given but a C+ -- but I cannot speak to this out of experience.
  • Options
    I still maintain Audi needs to add more commands to the voice system -- and that the voice command system MUST BE included on this car as standard.

I'll second that. Absolutely, positively,100% correct!

My end of the model year A6 came without the voice command system, so believe me, I know!
  • Options
    OK, I know we discussed this some weeks ago, but I am now thinking seriously about getting the 18" wheels on my 2005 A6. I had been thinking about the 17" but the few I have seen on cars around town didn't do too much for me whereas the 18" factory wheels look awesome on the car, especially on the darker colors.

So, what I want to know is, how will the ride be on 18" tires on my non-sport A6 3.2? I presently have the factory issue 16" on there now.

-Will I feel a lot more bumps in the road?
    -Will the steering be less nimble, or require more exertion to turn the wheel. (Very easy now)
    -Material decrease in gas mileage?
    -More Noise?

Also, does anyone own the Continental tires that came with the car and if so how are they?

I like the price as well as the reviews on the Falken's. I recall that Mark really liked his Falken's, if memory serves me.

Thanks in advance for any positive, helpful input!
  • Options
    -Will I feel a lot more bumps in the road?

No, based on my experience in Plus One sizing on my 2003 allroad (from 17 to 18's) I have ONLY had my C6 A6 with the 18" wheels and tires since day one, so this response is merely an extrapolation.

-Will the steering be less nimble, or require more exertion to turn the wheel. (Very easy now)

No, the steering will be more nimble, quicker turn in, etc; the servotronic steering will be very easy to turn at low speeds, again a very small difference, if any you could detect.

-Material decrease in gas mileage?

No change or if there is any change it would be tiny, so tiny that the Federally mandated fuel milage on the window sticker would not require changing.

-More Noise?

This is far more a tire issue than a wheel issue since this will be a plus one size. My A6 is very quiet.

Also, does anyone own the Continental tires that came with the car and if so how are they?

I have these tires. They are good looking, quiet, probably will be durable, they are all-season tires -- H rated. The will be OK in cold weather.

These tires should not be used in my opinion. They are the weakest link of the suspension system. I would want either UHP all season tires or UHP or Max Performance Summer tires.

245 x 40 x 18" is the width, profile and diameter with the 18" factory tires. I assume you could go wider and lower profile, but that would certainly get into much rougher riding territory, so this time, I would stick with the factory size.

If you rarely have temps that go below 40 -45F, you can almost certainly be OK with summer tires. If that is the case go with the Falken Azenis ST115. If you need A/S UHP tires, the Yokohama DB2 will work.

Some other tires that are UHP and A/S are able to be vetted on Clicky here for TireRack and Clicky here for Tires dot com.

The selection criteria would be UHP A/S within the size 245 x 40 x 18" -- check the wear ratings knowing that as the wear ratings go up, the stickiness of the tires often goes the other way.

Or, you can NOT compromise at all and go with Summer (8 or 9 month) and Winter (3 or 4 month) tires and wheels and change the sets when appropriate with the time of year.

The main plus about the H rated all seasons that come with 18" wheels when you elect the all season option is that they are quiet, good in the rain, attractive and probably good for at least 36,000 miles. The UHP and Max summer only tires rarely are much good beyond 20 - 25K miles.

If you do NOT already have the factory wheels, buying them from the dealer will be costly. If you have not yet bought the car, you can probably make a deal to pay the up charge for the 18" wheels just as if you had ordered the car (and maybe even get a discount.)

If you have the car, want 18's -- check out www.tires.com for the selection of wheels, as well as checking with the folks at achtuning. You should be able to get wheels that look like factory wheels and they should also come with the Audi dust center caps.

Hope this helps.

Post script:

TODAY, I would probably consider PZero Nero M+S or the DB2's since I want UHP A/S rubber (check 'em out at one of the above tire on-line stores), in 245 x 40 x 18" tires and overinflate the front tires by +2 pounds over the rears (but not over the factory "high number," to be clear.) Inflating the fronts by +2 over the rears will further improve the handling since the sidewall will flex ever so slightly less during the load shift to the front end in, shall we say, spirited driving. I keep my Audis thusly inflated and the difference is perceptible the moment you make the change.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    While the A6 may have the 82 buttons, how many of them are actually requiring thought when using them?

I mean, window operations, turn stalks, etc would hardly add to any of the confusion.

Audi has gone to great lengths to have incredible interiors, and the A6 appears to be laid out extremely well, with everything in easy reach. The most common controls are easily accessible without having to take your eyes off the road (except the radio, which like the BMW and iDrive, is integrated.

-Paul
  • Options
    I can use the power window and seat controls 99% of the time without a glance -- but there are times when I flick the power window button and the left rear window lowers instead of the driver's window.

Most of the other controls DO require a quick glance and at 88 feet per second of forward travel that is typically a bit more forward movement than I would want without 100% of my attention (eyes) on the task of driving. Only the volume knob seems to be able to be accessed sight free.

This car, and frankly a lot of cars, have more and more "stuff" to distract, regardless of the human machine interface and software -- voice activation at $350 list price seems silly to NOT buy and even sillier NOT to make standard equipment.

Further, adding additional command functions is clearly doable with the current state of voice recognition software.

Turning the seat heaters (for example) on and off and up and down is easy -- but they require a split second or sometimes several splits to fiddle with, and I have found my car wandering either over the center line or heading for the ditch even with these momentary split second movements.

I have good vision and good peripheral vision -- maybe I am a klutz and you are perfect with respect to your abilities to multi-task when your eyes need to focus on a knob or button, etc. -- voice activiation may be in its infancy, I just think this is the way things will be and NEED to be.

I am often wrong, but never uncertain. :shades: