Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW European Delivery

Comments

• Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    As a rule, no. That said, if the two of you buy it together (ie. her name is on the sales order and title), then she can pick it up.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    losylosy Member Posts: 14
    On ED are the option packages the same as US? Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    The only difference is that the base MSRP and invoice are lower for ED. The options and the option prices are all the same.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    billmcbillmc Member Posts: 4
    After a 3 month wait, my '04 X3 finally arrived at the Dealer. I had been "told" that the Dealer would assist with my California registration paperwork before I bought the car. But now, the Dealer is saying it is my responsibility to drive the car to the state Motor Vehicles office and do the paperwork myself. (This would be illegal without at least temporary registration.) Moreover, I'm now told it is my responsibility to pay to get a smog certificate before it can be registered. Have any ED buyers from California or other states faced this, and if so, what did you do?
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I'm not sure that is right at all.

Contact BMW of Bakersfield. That is where I got my car. You can the question of probably any of the salesmen. They have ALWAYS been very forthcoming and open with their answers to any questions I've had. I know they've done some ED, so they should be able to address it.

-Paul
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Did they charge the $50 "Doc Fee?" If so, they need to do the paperwork or refund the money.
  • Options
    patellipatelli Member Posts: 24
    what is the forum with the ED invoice pricing?

TIA,
    Patelli
  • Options
    patellipatelli Member Posts: 24
    Wondering what the ED pricing was on a 645 coupe.

TIA,
    Patelli
  • Options
    vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    Try Bimmerfest.
  • Options
    taurus4saletaurus4sale Member Posts: 6
    I'm hoping to take ED on a 2006 3er around this time next year. Wife and I would like to pick up in Munich, drive to Tuscany, rent a villa in the hills for a week or more and take in Siena, Florence, Lucca, etc. We don't plan to drive in the cities, just around the countryside and take day trips into the larger cities by train. Anyone have any experience with this kind of an itinerary? Tales of wisdom? How is driving in Italy? Thanks.
  • Options
    zangalezangale Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me the ED MSRP for the 325xi wagon?
  • Options
    Base US MSRP (incl.dest.) $33,645
    Base ED MSRP (incl.dest.) $31,340

Options are the same price, either way.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    zangalezangale Member Posts: 2
    I can see you've been a real help to many. So, it looks like my deal at 38K with $6950 in options is a good one. Looking to place my order this week. Thanks! z
  • Options
    jakumabajakumaba Member Posts: 9
    I just spent over two weeks in Italy with a rental car. Last year took ED on a 530i, and drove for about 10 days in Italy. I've probably logged about 3,000 miles in Italy.

Words of wisdom: Italian drivers are very forgiving, so rules of road are flexible (contrast Germany, where rules are strictly adhered to and drivers get REALLY bent out of shape if you violate them). Local roads are generally narrower than in US, and with lots more curves. Makes for fun driving, provided you don't have to do it all day. Almost no matter how fast you drive, count on someone on your tail at annoying frequency.

Be prepared for lots of motorcycles, mobylettes, moped traffic, especially in cities. They tend to swarm, lane share, and generally make a nuisance of themselves. Again, do as the Italians and be flexible.

I found very few automated speed controls and/or red-light cameras in Italy (mainly the North). This contrasts with Germany, France, where they abound. Highway (autostrada) speed is relatively high, and you'll see bigger touring cars (Mercedes, BMWs, Renaults) going well over 100 mph in the left lane, with their left blinkers on for miles. Stay out of their way.

If you want directions, you can almost forget it. Sadly, Italians and directions are not a good match, even if you speak Italian. Get yourself one or more good Michelin maps for where you're visiting, ones with a lot of detail. These are invaluable.

Other than that, the usual stuff: expect tight parking, a few very narrow two way roads where a lot of yielding is required, and traffic jams in and around the cities. Also, road maintenance and construction can be a problem. Keep the windows closed, don't breath in too many diesel exhaust fumes, and you'll be fine. If you're super uptight about your car, this would not likely be a fun place for you. Germany would be better.
  • Options
    taurus4saletaurus4sale Member Posts: 6
    Hey jakumaba,

Thanks for taking the time to tell me about your Euro Delivery experience in Italy. We are still looking forward to making this kind of a trip, maybe next fall if I can get the car I want by then.

Your point about being uptight about having a new car in unfamiliar/stressful driving situation is a good one. I'll have to ponder that some more.

And I will be sure to watch out for the big Euro sedans on the autostrada. I hope they don't slow me down too much ;)

Thanks again.
  • Options
    cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    I was just faced with a similar decision. I was going to buy a 2005 545 and my wife and I wanted to spend a week in Cannes on the Riviera. In the end, I decided to go there first and get a rent a car then fly to Munich and pick up my new car. I had a lot of second thoughts about this till I saw the traffic and driving conditions in southern France; narrow streets, wild motoring practices, demented motor scooter drivers and neurotic pedestrians plus a very , um,non chalant attitude about parking. One look at all that and I was damn glad I'd waited to pick up my after this portion of the vacation.

On the other hand, we met a couple in Munich who'd just driven their new 645 to Kosovo and had no problems.

Also, if you're going to ship from Italy be aware that they drive your car back to Germany.
  • Options
    rfrithrfrith Member Posts: 18
    BMW has just announced FREE airfare January through March for European Delivery Vehicles. Check it out on site: http://www.bmwusa.com/Bmwexperience/EuropeanDelivery/flyfree.htm
  • Options
    It's an improvement over the old deal, but not as good as it seemed to be after you read the fine print.
    They will pay only up to $560 and it applies only to those flying from the east coast.
  • Options
    cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    I just returned from Europe where I picked up a 545. Lufthansa, through a deal with BMW, let my wife fly free. Total airfare for two of us from Dulles to Frankfurt and on to Nice returning from Paris via Frankfurt was $1035. United quoted me $3000 plus for the same trip.

Check the Lufthansa-BMW link at http://cms.lufthansa.com/fly/us/en/gnf/0,,0-0-1090186,00.html
  • Options
    vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    It seems BMW is giving away 2 free tickets to Munich if you do an ED pickup in Jan-March 2005.
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    BMW is probably doing this to encourage sales, prior to the 3 series change next year. Speaking of, has anyone heard of when the US spec 3 series will be available for ED? Is September the normal time? Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm hoping that the E90 will be available a little sooner than the September you mention. My wife and I would love to do a May pickup in Munich.
  • Options
    I would love to take a May-Aug delivery, but my limited understanding is that the E90's will be available in September. Perhaps someone here with better knowledge will validate.

I also wonder how soon the dealers will start taking the orders for the E90.
  • Options
    No official date has been announced. Why do you believe it to be September?
    More people have said summer 2005 is most likely.
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    This has nothing to do with ED, but I've got to stick my nose in and sound a warning about being an early adapter of the new E90.

Almost all the new or heavily-revised models BMW has introduced lately have had dismal first-year reliability records, let alone the first month or two of production. And I've heard this new model will be heavily revised with new Valvetronic engines, a new electrical system (canbus - LAN like), and tons of electronic gizmos and gadgets.

Sounds like a headache the first year or so. And by doing it ED, you'd have risk that you could have major problems with your new car during a vacation in a strange country.

Finally, BMW has had to do last minute slips of some of their recent vehicles to catch problems. No big deal if you're waiting here for one in the states, but a total PITA if you've bought tickets and made reservations for ED.

I'd strongly advise waiting a year to say off the bleeding edge.

- Mark
  • Options
    I've done a bit more research on the "release" date. It now appears to be more like March/April. This is from my local salesman, & a fellow claiming to work for BMW on another board. The September time was based on history.
  • Options
    Anyone have any good/bad experiences with dealers in Texas? Thanks.
  • Options
    I learned today that European Delivery for the new 2006 3 Series Sedans will begin in May.
  • Options
    How did you learn this?
  • Options
    I called my dealer the day that I got the e-mail from BMWNA with the news release of the new 3 Series. I asked them to get in touch with BMWNA European Delivery to schedule first possible pick up date. My dealer was told that E90 deliveries in Munich for ED would not be available before May 1st. I asked for and got a May 3rd. pickup scheduled. A Pre-Reservation form was Faxed to my dealer and returned with all info except color and exact options since they are not yet available.
  • Options
    jbrenjbren Member Posts: 1
    What is the time frame from the point you order your BMW at your local dealership to actually taking delivery in Germany?

How long after you drop the vehicle off in Germany does it take for it to arrive at your home dealer (I am located in upstate NY)?

Is the price quoted for ED negotiable?

When I have brought up participating in the ED program with the local dealers I am speaking with they are not very receptive. Why is that? Should I expect them not to give me good service if I do the ED program?
  • Options
    The actual time you need to plan ahead depends on the car. For example, getting a 6 Series might be tougher than getting a 5 Series. We've done European Delivery twice. Both times we ordered in January and picked up in late March or early April. One was a 7 Series and the other an X3.

After dropping the car off in Europe for shipment they say to expect 4 to 6 weeks before delivery at home. In both cases our's took 5 weeks.

The price, at least at my dealer in NC, is negotiable. I took Edmunds invoice and subtracted the European Delivery discount and then negotiated a profit. That profit of course depends on how available a vehicle is. They might want more for the new 3 Series for example since it's just coming out.

I can't imagine why your dealer is showing little interest in helping you with European Delivery. The actual car (in most cases) doesn't come out of their allocations. It's probably a case of not wanting to do the extra little paperwork that's needed. The Service should no different BMW does all this to insure brand loyalty so the dealer should be on the same page.
  • Options
    asaslavsasaslavs Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone,

I am planning to buy a 325i and run the ED experience. One of the optionals i am including in my car is the navigation system. At two BMW dealers I've been told that the car will be equipped with the US version. If I want to drive the car in Europe I will need to buy the Europe package for the navigation system (around 200$). did any of you have used this in Europe? Does it make sense to buy it for 2 weeks?

Also, I learned today that as of 12/1/2004 (yesterday), BMW ED offers free premium road insurance for 2 weeks instead of 30 days. If you plan to be in Europe more than 2 weeks you will need to buy additional insurance.

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/EuropeanDelivery/savings.htm

This forum is great, got lots of tips for my trip. Thanks, Alex
  • Options
    The ED center in Germany used to loan them out, but they stopped. It is not worth $200.
    Check eBay or ask your dealer to buy copies to loan/rent to their ED customers.
    It's very stupid that the BMW ED program has not already planned an easy way to handle short term usage of the nav discs.
    What they should be doing is preloading the Euro discs when you pick up the car and swapping them for US discs at the port. I think they used to swap the radios at the ports if they didn't work for both US and Europe, so why not swap DVDs?
    Maybe this is an opportunity for a company like NetFlix!
  • Options
    There are a couple of versions of DVD Discs. The 5 and 6 Series are using a different version from the current X3 and 3 Series. I have a DVD version called 'Road Map Europe high' that we used last year when picking up our X3. If you're getting an E46,2005 325i then the version I have will work if you're getting the new E90 then it might require the 'Professional' version that is now is the 5 and 6 Series. I'll be happy to loan you the one that I have. Just respond to my e-mail address. I will say this, having the Navigation system while traveling in Europe is a tremendous benefit that I have have found worth the $180 investment.
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I lived in Germany until earlier this year, and bought mine off ebay. (German) I think I paid about 70 euros ($85?) at the time.
  • Options
    I am considering not getting the GPS due to the i-drive. I may just get one of those small GPS units, and buy the European SW. It may work out well, as the full cost would be about half the cost of the i-drive (I know it's not the same thing); and I could use it in my other car. I'll let you guys know next year when I do my ED.
  • Options
    asaslavsasaslavs Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

thanks for your input. Question: what is E46, E90 ? not sure if you refer to the navigation system version.

Thanks,
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    I've had excellent results using two different Garmin hand-helds all over the U.S. & in Europe.

The Garmin V I use now is under $300, if you look around on-line & comes w/ the full North American map set. The European maps are expensive ~$300, but invaluable. I went all over England with 100% confidence that I was going to get where I wanted to go, without dangerous distractions.

The V is monochome, doesn't talk to you (but does beep at appropriate times) & has a small screen, but to me offers tremendous value for the money. Besides which it can be used in rental cars & the airplane (window seat req'd), as well as hikes and what-have-you.

Good luck w/ your ED.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    E46=1999-2005 3-Series Sedan

E46=2000-2006? 3-Series Coupe and Rag Top

E90=2006- 3-Series Sedan

E90=2007?- 3-Series Coupe and Rag Top

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • Options
    skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    I have looked at Eurobuyers, Bimmerfest and some other BMW places and I could not find ED invoice prices, although I know that they had them before. Can anyone tell me where they are (http), or suggest any other source, or at least how much profit is built into MSRP, so I could calculate the approx. invoice price. I am looking for both 3 and 5 series; of course, the 3 would be the new one, which they do not have prices yet, but I want to be ready when they come. Thanks.
  • Options
    I have a Garmin etrex. It works great on it's own, and with my laptop & MS Streets. The laptop is a bit bulky, so I am looking at smaller handheld PCs such as a Dell X50. It has VGA output so the maps should be very clear, even for night driving. It will also be able to play movies, and act as a small PC. Whichever way one goes, the Euro SW is quite expensive.
  • Options
    The only difference between US and ED invoice price is in the base price of the car... All options have the same invoice price whether US or ED.

So, check here on Edmunds or KBB (easier to use) to get the US invoice price.. You can also see the spread between MSRP and invoice there.

Then...

325i.. subtract $2030

330i.. subtract $2435

525i.. subtract $2790

530i.. subtract $3055

These are the differences between US invoice and ED invoice for these specific models, regardless of equipment or options..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you kyfdx! Just to satisfy my curiosity, where did you get the info about the difference between the US vs. ED invoice? I wonder if the withdrawal of the ED invoice prices from the web has been because too many people got to know the ED invoice and started doing too "sweet" deals. I know some of my friends who rather buy than lease that this could actually make sense, as I see one could reduce price for $4,500+ on 525i if done through ED, if one pays about $1,500 atop the invoice for ED car, which seems to be a consensus. Again, thanks for the info.
  • Options
    There are a lot of BMW forums on the web.. I'm not allowed to mention them here.. But, if you google "bimmer forums" you can find a few... I got the ED invoice prices off an ask-a-dealer section on one of those forums...

Those numbers came straight off the dealer's pdf.

Remember... all options have the same MSRP and invoice, whether US or ED, so if you have the US numbers, you only need to make the adjustment to the base price.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I have just found that it is very likely that I will be moving to Munich in June 2005 (maybe even later) and be there likely for one year or maybe even longer. What would be the way to get a new 3-series Bimmer through the ED, which would then save me some money, if possible at all? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    The ED program delivers US spec cars which, by law, are only supposed to be driven in Europe for a limited period of time, I think a month maximum. There may be a way to finagle around this limit, but I've never heard of it and European licensing laws are pretty strict.

- Mark