Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    steine13 said:

A new engine is a great thing if it's (i) a new engine, not something "low mileage" pulled from some other car, and (ii) done right, which is hard to know for a buyer. So I wouldn't think of that as either a negative or a positive unless I knew more about it.

cheers -mathias

It's a positive to me as well, but on a sample of 1, the first guy freaked out and thought it "too much trouble" that the engine had to be replaced. And it most certainly has been done right, or I'd know in the last 20K+ miles since the new engine was put in.

Also, good point as some unreasonable seller's say "new engine" when they really mean a new engine to the car only, and the engine is already beat from some random junkyard.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558

Did you run it through carmax
    And carvana. always a good baseline

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited November 2023

I've got one. Maybe.
    2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 T SE
    209k, cloth, clean inside and out but not spectacular. Alloys, decent tires.

https://www.williamsautoworld.com/used/Hyundai/2011-Hyundai-Sonata-991527450a0e0a92336a2c1e4c88afaf.htm

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,954

You wrote 209k and I was about to jump on you. Then looked at the ad. 109k.

Condition is everything. Some have been mid 3s in average condition, while some have been mid 5s for great condition. Auction prices, of course.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

Thanks, Q...sry about the typo. What happens when I use my phone #oldpeople

• Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Getting close to having to make a decision, curious what we could get on trade for this if you don't mind:
    21 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4WD, Auto, Gray/Gray, just under 13k miles, nothing wrong with it - thinking about buying out the lease. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    $35k-$36k trade

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397

What was MSRP? Might be better off buying new.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422

What was MSRP? Might be better off buying new.

I’ll guess around $40K, but the buyout might be around $30K?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Correct on both, MSRP was $38,455 and residual is $29,225. I thought one of the boys might like it down the road but all seem content with what they have at the moment. Ironically, my wife who's never really cared what she drives, has suddenly shown interest in a few vehicles so having equity might be nice for once!
  • Options
    Another little winter beater with some promise:
    2012 Kia Soul, 122k, model not known. Note the wheel covers over steel, so low to mid-range.
    It appears to be pretty clean inside. Tires are "ok".

The only thing I know about these is that I recently checked one out for one of our post-docs and was impressed -- at 176k, it ran well and the (conventional) automatic shifted fine. They may be the closest equivalent to the Prizms of yore.. a good model to buy for basic transportation.

Thanks in advance as always.
    cheers -mathias
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679
    edited November 2023
    steine13 said:

Another little winter beater with some promise:
    2012 Kia Soul, 122k, model not known. Note the wheel covers over steel, so low to mid-range.
    It appears to be pretty clean inside. Tires are "ok".

The only thing I know about these is that I recently checked one out for one of our post-docs and was impressed -- at 176k, it ran well and the (conventional) automatic shifted fine. They may be the closest equivalent to the Prizms of yore.. a good model to buy for basic transportation.

Thanks in advance as always.
    cheers -mathias

That looks like the base model. 1.6L motor about 130hp. It does my heart good that they can go 122k miles let alone 176k. If it’s cheap enough go for it, just remember, they aren’t Hondas.😀

Nearest comparable I could find in the northeast:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/695543895?endYear=2012&makeCode=KIA&modelCode=SOUL&newSearch=true&numRecords=25&referrer=/cars-for-sale/all-cars/2012/kia/soul/albany-ny?isNewSearch=false&searchRadius=300&zip=12201&searchRadius=300&sortBy=relevance&startYear=2012&zip=12201&clickType=supplemental

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Cheap stuff is cheap stuff. It is worth whatever you think you can get out of it. I see them at auction with those miles for $2k and $3k. Difference? Condition, of course.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    Hi - can you give me a general idea of trade in/auction on the car below?

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
    78K Miles, Silver Exterior, Black Interior
    Trailer Package
    Good/Decent Condition
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options

Assuming no runs/hits/errors and maintenance up to date, you should be around $15k. What have carvana/vroom offered?

• Options
    whitesoxwhitesox Member Posts: 5
    Looking at an out of season convertible in the snowy midwest. It's been on a Honda dealer lot for 75 days, they usually punt them at 90 days, correct? Wondering about current values if they sent it to auction. 2014 Audi RS-5 convertible. 61,000 miles, has a minor damage accident on the carfax and 5 owners so I would say middle of the road for history/condition. I think they took it in on trade because the previous registration is local. Just trying to guess what low ball number they might accept.
  • Options

Tough one. Not any recent data to go on. But, based on all the facts associated with this one, I’d personally be hard pressed to go over $28k, and that is assuming the previous damage wasn’t too bad, is fixed correctly, and has no immediate service needs. Put it this way: you can get a GOOD one for $32-33k.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    whitesox said:

Looking at an out of season convertible in the snowy midwest. It's been on a Honda dealer lot for 75 days, they usually punt them at 90 days, correct? Wondering about current values if they sent it to auction. 2014 Audi RS-5 convertible. 61,000 miles, has a minor damage accident on the carfax and 5 owners so I would say middle of the road for history/condition. I think they took it in on trade because the previous registration is local. Just trying to guess what low ball number they might accept.

What engine does it have? This is the period 2010-2015(?) as miles accumulated, around 60-75k they suffered carbon build up, oil consumption and timing chain issues. Buyer beware!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    whitesoxwhitesox Member Posts: 5
    It has the 4.2L V8. Had my other car in for service and couldn't help perusing what else they had. They are asking $28K so probably not much more they would want to move.
  • Options
    edited January 18
    Just wondering if this has changed much, miles are now 13,600, it was $35k-$36k back in Nov:
    21 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4WD, Auto, Gray/Gray, still nothing wrong with it. The son who now works at a Toyota dealership has it there today for an appraisal, will be interesting to see what they say.

Thanks in advance B)
  • Options

They have varied a little, so it will depend how risk-averse they are. Could be I think anywhere from 32 up to 35.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

They have varied a little, so it will depend how risk-averse they are. Could be I think anywhere from 32 up to 35.

Thanks, fingers crossed!
  • Options
    dad23 said:

qbrozen said:

Thanks, fingers crossed!
    Well, they're definitely not reward-averse, "how does $30k sound?" :|
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,567
    dad23 said:

dad23 said:

qbrozen said:

Thanks, fingers crossed!
    ————————————————
    To me that sounds like the typical old time shenanigans of a dealer trying to steal a car. Some things never change.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    edited January 19
    jmonroe1 said:

dad23 said:

dad23 said:

qbrozen said:

Thanks, fingers crossed!
    ————————————————
    To me that sounds like the typical old time shenanigans of a dealer trying to steal a car. Some things never change.

jmonroe
    I took it to a local broker this evening close to home, they want it, $34k!
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,378
    dad23 said:

jmonroe1 said:

dad23 said:

dad23 said:

qbrozen said:

Thanks, fingers crossed!
    ————————————————

jmonroe
    Centennial?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited January 20
    Michaell said:

dad23 said:

jmonroe1 said:

dad23 said:

dad23 said:

qbrozen said:

Thanks, fingers crossed!
    ————————————————

jmonroe
    Centennial?
    Greenwood, I'm still waiting to hear back from Centennial.
  • Options
    Learned Friends:
    This is for entertainment only, but it's the slow part of the year and I have time.. Been doing some shopping with colleagues from foreign lands, per the usual cycle of life here.
    BTW that green Kia Soul about a dozen posts up turned out to be rat; nasty gunk under the valve cover and not so clean inside.. the twin that I had checked out for a friend was the opposite; clean and running fine without trouble.

That's one reason I like my used cars nice and old ... you only pay for what you get, and you can see what you're getting if you know how to look.

Moving along, there's this 2015 Impreza gem -- 130k, Sport trim, one owner, evidence of maintenance including the important-for-Subis coolant change, and $5,900. One of our guys is buying it if the mechanic's report tomrrow comes back clean. Which it will.

I really liked driving it and could find nothing wrong, beyond a suspension that's a little soft. The nuts on the strut towers were all shiny so I wondered whether the struts had been done but hadn't made it into the carfax. It wasn't nearly as soft as I sometimes find with older cars.

cheers -mathias
  • Options
    Moving right along, after test-driving the above Subi, Dave-the-dealer hinted strongly that the 2017 Legacy was worth a look.. which it was.

2017 Subaru Legacy, one owner, 216k miles, no check-engine light or anything obvious, $3975. We drove it, and miles or no miles, it was a cut above the Impreza.. just a bigger car with a bigger engine and nothing really wrong.
    There was a strong smell of vanilla air freshener, which was the first hint to look closely.
    It turned out that the "one owner" was Manpower Corporation, maning one owner and five dozen drivers. The Carfax listed tons of oil changes but little else beyond the obvious, like brakes. So we have a CVT with over 200k and zero maintenance... the Impreza might be OK with some maintenance at 130, but this one I'd leave alone until it breaks. At any rate, between the two cars, our friend wisely chose the more expensive Impreza.

For all that, both of these drove and sounded and shifted like much newer cars. Fretting about Subaru CVTs appears not to be necessary beyond routine maintenance. It was an instructive outing, and I was impressed.

read on...
  • Options
    I'd be interested in a valuation for the Impreza, but I don't need it to know it's a solid deal if it's as good as I think.

Below is a car that is more in my line of sight. My wife travels all over, driving a 2017 Grand Caravan base model that I bought new -- and kinda wish I'd'a bought two of them. If I had a place to store it... they were $20k before taxes and if you want a low-end Pacifica today, it'll cost twice that, easy.

This one has none of the frou-frou that likes to break, like powered doors and tailgates that are way too slow anyway, and up until recently it had been hands-down the most reliable car we've ever owned. A Chrysler product.
    I know.

A couple weeks back, Mrs. steine13 was nearing her destination somewhere between Austin and Dallas, when the car went in limp-home mode due to, we later learned, a misfire detection. Not a big deal, $400 for a new injector cured it, but not a pleasant thing a thousand miles from home. I think this is the new "break down by the side of the road"-- you don't get stuck but you're driving 30 mph on the shoulder. If any. An improvement over the old days, for sure.

So I'm thinking about eventual replacement, and the minivan market is grim.

That got me wondering about this one:

2016 Town & Country Touring.
    One owner, decent but not spectacular maintenance, one "minor" front ding w/out airbag deployment, 116k miles.

I don't have a good picture of the outside but inside it is remarkably clean.

I'm not in the habit of paying $9 for ten-year-old cars, but I have a bad feeling that this is actually a pretty good deal in the present market. I'll be on the lookout for a late-build Grand Caravan and might go to some trouble to get one from the south.. but if I needed one right now, I'd buy this one.

What do the experts say?

The smart move might be a new Sienna hybrid for the 36 mpg, but man that has a lot of ugly... and a mid-$40s price tag, minimum.

That was a lot of writing.
    Hope everyone's having a good Sunday.
    And Go Lions tonight!

cheers -mathias
  • Options
    edited January 28

How many miles on the current van?

• Options
    >> How many miles on the current van?

Ugh. I edited that out without meaning to... our 2017 has 114k miles on it, most of them put on by Madame in the last three years after her Sienna was taken out of full-time service by old age.

I'll have a heart to heart with my mechanic about swapping things like ignition coils and the rest of the injectors... the 3.6 Pentastar is by all accounts a solid mill, capable of 250k miles and beyond, knock on wood, I just need it to be solid for the missus on her trips. I even got a new battery without any signs of trouble beyond age.

It's a car I'll gladly take back with high miles as a knockabout for the 3000 miles a year I drive. Maybe I'll drive more when I'm retired but I'm not ready for that, yet.... mentally;)

cheers -mathias
  • Options
    steine13 said:

Moving right along, after test-driving the above Subi, Dave-the-dealer hinted strongly that the 2017 Legacy was worth a look.. which it was.

2017 Subaru Legacy, one owner, 216k miles, no check-engine light or anything obvious, $3975. We drove it, and miles or no miles, it was a cut above the Impreza.. just a bigger car with a bigger engine and nothing really wrong.
    There was a strong smell of vanilla air freshener, which was the first hint to look closely.
    It turned out that the "one owner" was Manpower Corporation, maning one owner and five dozen drivers. The Carfax listed tons of oil changes but little else beyond the obvious, like brakes. So we have a CVT with over 200k and zero maintenance... the Impreza might be OK with some maintenance at 130, but this one I'd leave alone until it breaks. At any rate, between the two cars, our friend wisely chose the more expensive Impreza.

For all that, both of these drove and sounded and shifted like much newer cars. Fretting about Subaru CVTs appears not to be necessary beyond routine maintenance. It was an instructive outing, and I was impressed.

read on...

————————————————
    FWIW, I’d have bought the Impreza like your friend did too. There’s no way I could gag down the thought of buying a car, any car, that has over 200K miles or even something close to that. Well, maybe if I woke up with an empty bottle of bourbon at my feet and it only cost something like a grand but more than likely I still wouldn’t do it.

Good luck to your friend.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

So you are afraid of a van you know with 114k but are happy to replace it with a pig in a poke with 116k?

Why not get a full inspection and just do a good preventive maintenance refresh and keep using it?

Does this engine have the plastic oil/coolant cooler contraption below the intake manifold that likes to fail and leak both fluids Al into the valley of the engine? Just watched Rainman Day video on replacing one of those (I think in a Pacifica) and sounds like a known weak point.

• Options

• Options
    @jmonroe
    >> it only cost something like a grand but more than likely I still wouldn’t do it.

You must have not tried to buy a "cheap" car in a while.
    The floor for something you can get in and drive away is $3,000, even here in the rust belt. Like a 2003 Camry with 220k.

I'd buy that Legacy if i needed wheels and it had been maintained.. I'd get years of service out of it, too.

@stickguy
    >> happy to replace it with a pig in a poke

Heck no. I haven't had a car of my own in a couple years... we basically share the 21 Impreza as needed, and mostly I bike everywhere. Even so the van gets miled up pretty good, so I'm thinking ahead, which is why I want to know what that market looks like.

Plus I'd like to be ready when a good deal comes along, since I could use a car of my own. Be good to have a spare van.

We have done well buying new and running long-term, but I have an aversion to the technology that people need so they can play with their phones while "driving."

Until the real self-driving cars come out, and I'm looking forward to that, I'd rather skip this phase. Friends tell me their cars ding and buzz all the time and it's annoying. I have no use for that, nor for $1000 windshield replacements etc.

cheers -mathias
  • Options
    @stickguy
    Hadn't heard about the oil cooler business... mine IS a 2017, though.. there were some lubrication issues with the engine that were fixed by 2014, maybe this is too new new a problem to be widespread yet.

I'll read up on it, thanks.
    For now I've watched the video.. at least I know what to look for, plus I keep an eye on oil and coolant as a matter of course #oldmanbehavior.

cheers -mathias
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679
    steine13 said:

Learned Friends:
    This is for entertainment only, but it's the slow part of the year and I have time.. Been doing some shopping with colleagues from foreign lands, per the usual cycle of life here.
    BTW that green Kia Soul about a dozen posts up turned out to be rat; nasty gunk under the valve cover and not so clean inside.. the twin that I had checked out for a friend was the opposite; clean and running fine without trouble.

That's one reason I like my used cars nice and old ... you only pay for what you get, and you can see what you're getting if you know how to look.

Moving along, there's this 2015 Impreza gem -- 130k, Sport trim, one owner, evidence of maintenance including the important-for-Subis coolant change, and $5,900. One of our guys is buying it if the mechanic's report tomrrow comes back clean. Which it will.

I really liked driving it and could find nothing wrong, beyond a suspension that's a little soft. The nuts on the strut towers were all shiny so I wondered whether the struts had been done but hadn't made it into the carfax. It wasn't nearly as soft as I sometimes find with older cars.

cheers -mathias

You mention mechanic’s report which is a good idea. How do you go about that? Do you check out the car and then call random mechanics to see who can look at it or do you have one in particular you use. Is it tough to schedule an inspection in advance or do you just show up? Also, are dealers always willing to have you take their car for an extended period of time?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    The mechanic's visit is the Achilles heel of the whole process... which is why I like buying from this particular dealer, because he is quite accomodating. We looked at the car on Friday, made an appointment for 08:00 Monday, and left with one of the keys for the car, and a license plate in the trunk. The buyer will pick up the car early tomorrow, drive it to the shop, and drive it back to the dealership around the time they open.

A private sale with a car that is reasonably priced will not allow for this process. Everything I see locally that strikes me as a good deal is either gone within hours, or it hangs around for a long time, indicating undisclosed and obvious issues.

The buyer in this case went to a local dealer on his own and found a nice Escape with low miles, 8 years old, $8k... but they wouldn't show him the carfax... he pulled is own $40 report and saw it had been totalled. I told him to regard this as tuition. Plenty good dealers out there but also plenty of slimy ones.

I helped a post-doc buy a car recently without a mechanic's report, but the buyer had a recent report from my favorite shop with him.

One thing about my regular dealer -- at least I know he buys them right, and when the new-car dealer where he gets them from steals a car, the benefits trickle down to everyone ;)

cheers -m
  • Options
    I should add that what with OBD-II diagnostics and some experience, I might be OK buying for myself without a professional inspection. Out of dozens of cars I picked for others over the years, only two were rejected at the shop.

One had piston slap (95 Cavalier with the tractor engine -- a pushrod thing that had a lineage back to International Harvester).

The other was a Forester ten years old or newer that pushed all the buttons, despite fairly high mileage.. it had been a commuter car for someone who worked in Ann Arbor, MI and had a long commute. It was an absolute fright pig underneath from rust. Quite spectacular. So much for "highway miles" -- the ones you do in a salt bath make your car age in dog years.

At any rate, our young academics are not in a position where they can write off a four thousand dollar car or just pay for a $2k transmission repair... they need to get it right in one shot, which is why I insist on the mechanic's report if I'm involved.

cheers -mathias
  • Options

steine13 said:

Learned Friends:

cheers -mathias

You mention mechanic’s report which is a good idea. How do you go about that? Do you check out the car and then call random mechanics to see who can look at it or do you have one in particular you use. Is it tough to schedule an inspection in advance or do you just show up? Also, are dealers always willing to have you take their car for an extended period of time?
    ————————————————-
    Son #1 has bought several cars out of town from the comfort of his home. Once he finds what he wants he tells the salesman that the sale is contingent upon the car passing an inspection by a mechanic of his choosing. My Son says there are plenty of shops that advertise doing this. So far no dealer has refused to allow an inspection and none have failed an inspection for anything more major than needing brakes or tires for which an adjustment in price was made or the dealer made the repair.

He has said if a dealer ever refused to allow for an independent inspection that included at least a 10 mile test drive he wouldn’t buy the car.

Refusing an inspection should be a sure sign that something is fishy.

jmonroe
  • Options

If values are needed, please summarize in one succinct post with the necessary details. This was a lot of long posts with scattered details.

• Options
    Here I'm pouring my heart out, and @q says it's scattered...

You're not wrong, though B)

2015 Subaru Impreza Sport, CVT, 130k miles, burgundy, Cooper tires on alloys, one dent in the edge of the tailgate, otherwise clean and maintained.

..and just to take the temperature, I'm not going to buy it..

2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring, dark gray, 116k, leather, Continentals on alloys, remarkably clean, with power liftgate and sliders. Let's keep it simple and pretend it didn't have a small hit on the carfax.

Thank you very much in advance!

cheers -mathias

• Options

Right about $6k MMR on the van, assuming not a touring-L nor touring-L anniversary.

Impreza still needs more input. Here are the choices:

• Options
    >> Right about $6k MMR on the van

Thanks.
    I'm glad to hear these Chrysler vans are not as stratospheric as the Honda/Toyota ones.
    I'll be keeping an eye out for a low-mile, clean 5th-generation one... and keep ours in shape as long as we can. I've been reading up on these this afternoon.. some good information out there.

>> Impreza still needs more input.

Ah. These pre-2017 trims stack up differently than what I'm used to for the later ones.

2015 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium
    VIN: JF1GPAT65F8251418
    Style / Body: Wagon 4DEngine: 2.0L H4 SMPI

• Options

$6600-6700 MMR on the Impreza in average condition.

• Options
    2014 Outback Premium in mid-Michigan.
    So the usual.. 2.5L, CVT, cloth seats, alloys, that's all I got, haven't seen it yet in the flesh.
    This was my wife's update; she drives by there on her commute.

My court-appointed car dealer says
    "2014... 136k
    Very nice. I'll run carfax
    ALL service done at Subaru dealer, frequent oil changes and two major services done.
    Very clean, non smoker."

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    Looks about as handsome as my rear end. I'd pass. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Don't you have a Forester?
    I ain't buying it but I know ppl with needs.... this is as pretty as an Outback gets. In MI, white is nasty because when the rust sprinkles start you see it ALL.

cheers -mathias