Just bought an 06 Ody EX-L Slate Green.

$27, 418
    + $550 (destination)
    + 595 (Gap ins.)
    - $3,000 (trade in)
    - $5,000 (down)

4.9% for 60 mos.

$435 monthly payments.

I traded in a 98 Toyota corolla w/64,000 miles. Low miles, I know, but there were a lot of problems what probably would have made it unappealing as a private party sale. Drivers side power window would only go up after waiting a couple of minutes, windshield had multiple little cracks, power locks acted up, interior wasn't in the best shape, body was in excellent shape but lots of paint knicks, etc, etc.

Our Oddy only had 3 miles on the odometer. Picked it up the next day after they PDI'd(pre delivery inspection) it.

Bought on the last day of the month. I'm sure I could've gotten a better price if I haggled more but overall felt like I got a good deal. No hassle at the dealership, no hassling in the finance dept. and a new Ody for those California road trips.
  • Options
    rwall10597rwall10597 Member Posts: 13
    That is a very good price, keep in mind the stripe, mud guards, and cross bars could still be an $800 wild card. Make sure you know if they are included before you are sitting in the dealership.
  • Options
    rwall10597rwall10597 Member Posts: 13
    I've never heard of GAP insurance on a purchase. You went in with $8000 of equity. $595 is a lot of money to insure the lenders exposure that doesn't even exist.

I haven't lived in California in 10 years, is this a new thing?
  • Options
    srjones70srjones70 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the update and I couldn't agree more. Since I posted my original message I have contacted 4 dealers in Phoenix via the internet. Based on these conversations and negotiations, Right Honda's Fleet Internet Dept. is on top. Very straightforward, low pressure, and appears honest. Everything has gone so well that I will be finalizing the purchase of an EX-L this Saturday. I'm confident that I won't have any surprises when inking the deal on Saturday.
  • Options
    jcaicedojcaicedo Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

This is what I got mine for it looks like we got a deal.

$24,090 sales price
    $550 destination and handling
    $6.50 Lemon Law
    $499 dealers fees
    $1508.73 tax
    $50 county tax
    $2 registration fee
    $225 new tag

Total of $26,931 out the door.
    John
  • Options
    pprashpprash Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone provide me the recent price for Odyssey EX-L (or Touring)with NAV and with RES in NJ?
  • Options
    scottmtscottmt Member Posts: 21
    I searched four states for the best deal on my 06 EX-L last week. Bought in NH but here is the deal - due to 06 clearance most dealers have $500 factory to dealer cash available and a 3% holdback - roughly $1000. My experience in shopping for both the EX-L and EX-L with RES and/or NAV is that dealers are willing to surrender the $500 factory cash and anywhere from $400-$800 of their holdback. This amounts to a purchase price of around $900-1300 below invoice. (exclusive of tags, taxes, doc prep fees, title, etc.) Of course, colors and packages are dwindling so I would make a move in the next 1-2 weeks before selection becomes minimal. Also, do your homework on the touring model - very expensive projected maintenance costs on the tires/wheels. (in the thousands when replacement is due - usually around 30K miles). They also ride very, very stiff.

Good luck in NJ.....
  • Options
    68mpolo68mpolo Member Posts: 21
    You know, come to think of it you are right. With the amount of equity we had, the GAP insurance doesn't sound like a good idea. I purchased GAP insurance for a 05 Saturn Vue, but I put nothing down and was upside down on my trade in. Different circumstance for the Ody, but I guess I just got caught up in the "What if's" and never really thought about it.
    Looks like I have 60 days to terminate the GAP ins. on the Ody which I will definitely do.
    Thanks for brining that to light. :shades:
  • Options
    kapokapo Member Posts: 6
    Can you PM me the price and the breakdown quoted by Right Honda?

Thanks
  • Options
    srjones70srjones70 Member Posts: 4
    Not sure what PM means, but here's the breakdown from Right Honda on a '06 EX-L:
    $27,609 (including destination, window tinting, and moonroof visor)
    $2,194.92 sales tax (7.95%)
    $540.11 license fee
    $5.00 AZ tire tax
    $368.00 doc fee (I probably should have negotiated this lower)
    $30,717.03 out the door price
  • Options
    So he is charging you some $600 for the AZ package (tinting, pin stripe, etc)?.

I tried getting a price form them and the lowest they will go is $25200 (including destination) for EX cloth 2006. Then I have to buy their dealer package for $600 (tint, etc). Then add doc fee $396 and TTL.

Folks here (on this board elsewhere)are able to get $24700 for the base EX cloth including destination. I think Right is still charging upto $500 more. Perhaps prices are higher in Phoenix.

If I do my math right this is the best price should be:

1. Sales Price = $24050
    2. Dest Fee = $595
    3. Doc Fee = $395
    =========================
    Total Sales Price = $25040 + TTL OTD

Right's offer of $25200 exlcudes the doc fee, so they are off my some $550-$600 in my view.

But other dealers in Phoenix may not be any better than right - time will tell.
  • Options
    seliasselias Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I purchased a Honda Ody Touring DVD + Nav Slate/Olive
    It wasn't on the lot, so the dealer is placing a locate

The deal is

Base $34,405
    D/H $ 595
    Tax 7% $ 2,450
    Doc $ 178.50
    MV $ 354
    Tire $ 7.50

OTD $ 37,990

Is this an ok deal? Anyone do any better with another dealer?

Thanks
    Thanks
  • Options
    Right Honda Scottsdale/Phoenix - Purchased 8/12 Odyssey XL Cloth Sage/Olive $25400 (including Destination, AZ Package (Tint, etc) retail price for AZ package is listed at $1500 yeah right) + $368 Doc fee + TTL.

Also bought the 8year/120K $0 deductible warranty for $1250

Good luck to everyone still looking for a deal.

Has anyone figured out how to enable the Active alarm system - the dealer wanted $299 or $399 (cannot remember) do enable it, he said the instrument is already in the car, they just enable or disable it.

I hope Odyssey in not on the hot Theft list.....
  • Options
    jwb18tjwb18t Member Posts: 45
    Excellent deal!
  • Options
    julierichardsojulierichardso Member Posts: 9
    Another price for your comparison . . . I purchased an 06 Odyssey EX-L with DVD & NAV in South Florida for:

Base price 30,472.80
    Dealer Fee 499.00
    Battery/Tire Fee 6.50
    Tax (6%) 1,858.70
    FL Lemon Law 2.00
    Title / Registration 150.00
    TOTAL OUT THE DOOR 32,989.00

Was told by two other dealers that they could beat the price (between $200 - $600). But the dealership I went with included a 10 yr / 100,000 powertrain warranty, free car washes for life, discounted gas purchases from the dealership pump for life and a Rewards Program (for parts, service, etc.) with 100,000 of automatic points.
  • Options
    stuartlongstuartlong Member Posts: 17
    I have a purchasing strategy which may or may not be sound. I am interested in purchasing a 2006 minivan at what I hope to be a significant savings from what I have read on the forums and have been quoted. I am starting with information that a friend purchased a 2006 Honda Odyssey EXL RES from the dealership in Goldsboro, NC for $28,900 before taxes, tags, and fees. The OTD price was about $30,300, I think. I am also interested in the Nissan Quest as well as the Toyota Sienna. My plan is to take this purchase price to dealers of these 3 vehicles and see who is willing to beat this price by the most, on a comparably equiped van. I know the resale on Sienna and Odyssey is slightly better than the Quest, but they seem to be selling for about the same value when new. We looked at a Nissan Quest that was MSRP at about $37,000 and hoped this may fall into this range of the EXL RES. What is anyone's opinion on this strategy. After test driving all three vehicles, I ranked the handling in the order of Quest/Sienna/Odyssey. The problem with the Sienna is that the Toyota dealership we spoke with takes the LE and then does a dealer install of Leather Seats and DVD player. Negotiating with them seems to be a high risk since they will add these items, which would give us the vehicle we want, but would probably result in our paying the same price for the Odyssey EXL RES, which has many more features. The safest bet will be to attempt to purchase the same vehicle at the same price from the same dealer as my friend. However, they would need to transfer a vehicle from another dealership since they are sold out of the 2006 Odyssey EXL RES. I am not sure if any transfer fees would be added on or if I could negotiate the removal of those fees.
  • Options
    brennanbillsbrennanbills Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone in the Chicago area has any insight as to what price would be good for an '06 EXL? It's been awhile since we've purchased a car and I'd like to go in with prices people have actually been able to get. Brilliance is offering an out the door price of $29,500 for the EXL, but having read your message it doesn't sound like I'm getting a great deal. Just talked to a salesman over the phone.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    My two cents is that a better strategy would be to decide which of the three vehicle best suits your needs and then have dealers of that make compete against each other.

I don't know about the Quest but the Toyota and Honda are VERY different when it comes to handling and ride firmness.
  • Options
    stuartlongstuartlong Member Posts: 17
    If you are looking for an 06 Odyssey EXL RES, Leith Honda of Raleigh has one on the lot that they will sell for $29,100, several thousand below invoice. The dealership at Cary Auto Park, in Cary, NC, has one on the lot, but I do not know what they will sell it for. There is also one on the lot at the Oxford, NC dealership, which is slightly closer to Richmond. I think the EXL RES should go at or around $29k. My neighbor bought one at the Goldsboro, NC dealership for $28,900. They have depleted their stock in this vehicle, but they seem to always be able to make trades with other dealerships to get you the vehicle at that price?

Good Luck
  • Options
    Decide on the vehicle first - then begin negotiating. I would agree with ccompson that the Honda and Toyota are significantly different vehicles as far as ride. Once you are certain of the make - obtain phone and internet quotes from 4-5 local dealers and then go in to finalize the negotiations. If a dealer has to "bring-in" the model you want from another dealer the upcharge is usally $200-$300. (the trick is to find out where that "other" dealer is that has the vehicle you want....

Goos luck
  • Options
    tofoopietofoopie Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Looking to buy a EX-L in NJ.

I've contacted dealers in my area by going through Honda.com's website.

I've clearly indicated that I prefer to be contact by email instead of being called, but sales agents are calling me and haggling me instead.

Do you guys have a list of email addresses of INTERNET MANGERS at various dealerships?

Thanks.
  • Options
    bostonian2006bostonian2006 Member Posts: 1
    The information in this site is a big helpful for me to buy 2006 Honda Odyssey today(08/13/06). I'd like to share my buy experience, and hopefully it will be helpful. I paid $24750(including destination) for basic EX cloth 2006 + 298 Doc fee. I also traded in my 1999 Toyota camry for $3250. I went Boch Honda around 10AM, and I drove new car home around 4:00PM. I pretty much enjoy my new car.
  • Options
    massdriver2massdriver2 Member Posts: 2
    Just as a follow-up, I wanted to share my buying experience. I ended up deciding on the wood trim and rear sensors, but bagged the fog lights and ipod connector. I stayed with the EXL rather than the Touring primarily based on the negative reviews I have seen on the run-flat tires. I also liked the plus one seat in the EXL, though I am not sure we'll use it much. I can only see seating a child in that spot when running a full carpool. Otherwise, it's set up as a table or simply removed.

Best quotes for base EXL with R&N -- 30,145 and 30,236 (this includes destination, but not TT or fees). Options pricing was all over the map. I am still not sure the best way to negotiate this, but used various dealer quotes to pick the best installed prices I saw to drive better pricing from other dealers. I also used the Internet pricing of the base options for retail purchase to help assess overall profit to dealer.

I ended up going with the dealer with the higher base price based on willingness to negotiate down the options. I did not try to get the last dollar in the negotiation, but did end up out the door at $33,400 with the exact model, color and options we wanted. I was very happy overall. It did make me feel I must be getting a decent deal since no other dealer I called was willing to meet or beat the price for the same vehicle.

Thanks for the wealth of info here. I may try to follow-up with the dealer to better understand how they view the options pricing because I'm not sure I ever got a very sound strategy on how to approach. One salesman told me they were at the mercy of the service departments separate P&L on that and they didn't have as much room to negotiate as they would like since they view a lot of the install as profit.
  • Options
    chirpchirp Member Posts: 194
    FYI..."$29,100, several thousand below invoice" probably meant to say "several thousand below MSRP". The invoice price for an EX-L is $29,146.
  • Options
    moosejaw3moosejaw3 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone figured out how to enable the Active alarm system - the dealer wanted $299 or $399 (cannot remember) do enable it, he said the instrument is already in the car, they just enable or disable it.

I looked under my dash and the wires are there but they took out the fuse and the control unit. Not sure how much the control unit cost.
  • Options
    jkb2jkb2 Member Posts: 1
    I sent e-mails to five Chicagoland dealerships, and the best price I was able to negotiate was with Castle Honda, in Morton Grove. I didn't check out Brilliance. We bought an '06 Silver Pearl EX-L over the weekend from Castle.

Car price: 27,100 (including dest.)
    After taxes, title/license and a $57 doc fee, our OTD price was $29,700. We live in Chicago, so Cook County taxes are about 9%.

The whole process was pretty no-hassle. I negotiated prices through email. When I went to the dealership, they honored the price they quoted me and the car was in-stock, and it did not have any dealer-added options. I clarified that I didn't want any dealer options up-front, because some of the dealerships around here quote a low price, but then load it up with wheel locks, mud flaps, etc. It went well and there weren't any surprises.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    ruschrusch Member Posts: 16
    I bought my EXL Res at Brilliance about a month ago. I brought in all my e-mail quotes and they met an internet price from another dealer. I paid 28,350 dest.incl. I would recommend them! From sales to finance it was a good experience.
  • Options
    phillychillphillychill Member Posts: 1
    Thought I'd share my buying experience in San Jose. I actually live in San Diego area, but I was in San Jose for the weekend. I had requested quotes from about 15 dealers in S. California, with lowest OTD price of ~$29,800. I was up in San Jose visiting family for the weekend, and I decided to get a couple of quotes up there. Two dealers gave me simple, no-nonsense out the door quotes that beat this. South Bay Honda quoted $29,400. I asked Capitol Honda if they could beat this and they submitted the following quote:

Selling Price: $26,968.69
    Doc Fee: $45.00
    Tax (7.75%): $2,093.56 (they used San Diego rate)
    Total OTD: $29,350

No one in San Diego would match this quote. I purchased the van from Capitol Honda, and it was a great experience. Their internet manager was friendly, and the transaction went very smoothly (with no bull!). I would highly recommend Capitol Honda if you are looking for an Odyssey.

Thanks for all the informative posts that helped me while researching this purchase.
  • Options
    wrpinncwrpinnc Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased mine at Crown Honda priced as follows:

Van 28,015
    Dest. 550
    Mud flaps/locks 248
    Proc/del fee 399
    -----
    Subtotal 29,212 this is before tax of $609, trade of $8,500, and lic/title fee of $68.

My subtotal was $644 less than invoice of 29,856 (I had two dealers give me this invoice amount which does not match Edmunds?). I feel this is an OK deal. Hendrick Honda said they would match it to keep my business, Honda of Lake Norman would match, Honda of Concord, and Honda of Rock Hill would not quote over the phone or internet.

I traded a rough 2001 ody ex with 92,000 miles on it. Carmax offered to buy it for $6,500. After that shocker I happily accepted Crown's trade in allowance of $8,500.

While I bought at Crown, I would encourage Honda shoppers in this area to try Honda of Lake Norman. When you mention to other dealers that you received a quote from Lake Norman they get noticeably nervous. It is probably because they are new dealership and are trying to get their numbers up.
  • Options
    marywilsonmarywilson Member Posts: 16
    Hi I am interested in buying Odyssey LX 2006 model; most dealers in Orange County, Cal are only to go down to invoice and -$400.
    Rock Honda promised to go $500 below invoice.

Can you tell me where did you purchase yours?

Thanks
  • Options
    bystander6bystander6 Member Posts: 16
    Yes, me too. The best quote I had was $31610 OTD for a 2006 Odyssey EX-L. I am so tired of these unreasonable quotes. So I bought an one-way ticket to buy it from Bay area. My final cost is

$28,970 (dealer's OTD price)
    $ 85 (one way ticket)
    $ 90 (gas)
    $ 133 (registration and use tax in WA state)

Total: $29278

$31610 - $29278 = $2332.

Being a one-way driver for a day saved me $2332. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    ivfmommeeivfmommee Member Posts: 15
    I have been shopping around ALOT in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida for EX-L RES in Sage Brush Pearl with Ivory leather. I finally got a great quote today, and it was from an internet dealer that called me and did NOT quote my via email. Here is my breakdown:

Van $28352
    Dest $550
    Mud Guards/cargo tray/wheel locks, splash guards tire valve monitors, moonroof visors
    $708
    Reverse Sensing FREE
    Dealer fee $495

Subtotal $30105

Theft Protection $199 (my choice)(at cost)
    Tax/Title/Reg $164 for 2 years
    No tax because registering in Oregon (military)
    Florida fees $119

Out the door price $30587

Invoice was $29,741 without any options.

I got my reverse sensing for free because I was told the vehicle had it, and I assumed that was in the cost. When I got there and looked at the van, it didn't have it! So, they are installing it for free on Saturday, giving me a loaner for the day, and refilling my tank back up with gas. If you figured in the cost of the reverse sensing, my starting price before options would be $27,753. I think I got a pretty good deal!

Invoice was quoted at $29741 without any dealer options added on.
  • Options
    canadianexpertcanadianexpert Member Posts: 3
    I just bought one from Riverside honda #2 honda dealer the country by sales volume. I live in las vegas and the 3 honda dealers would not go below 28250 before taxes and fees.

riverside price

$26768 dest included.
    tax was 7.75 same as vegas
    45 for a one way pass to drive to vegas.
    doc was $45
    Tire fee was 8.75
    otd was 28944.75

Drove to riverside and arrived at 9:20 am sunday morning. I test drove the ocean mist van and was out the door by noon. Definately worth the drive to So. Cal. the dealers in Las vegas could not believe the price and would not even come close to matching the price. My savings were $1500 because all vegas dealers charge 399 or more for doc fees. I know I've seen a few lower quotes 26400-26500 but this was all negotiated through email and the process was quick and easy.
  • Options
    j_jj_j Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Anyone know a good HONDA dealer in South Carolina or NC who can give a good deal on EX or EX-L+DVD? Please let me knwo the best price I can get for both the models.

Thanks in advance,
    :)
    Jo Jo.
  • Options
    bystander6bystander6 Member Posts: 16
    I bought a 2006 Slate Green EX-L from San Francisco Honda on July 29. The lowest price I can get in Seattle Area was $31600 OTD for a 2006 Odyssey EX-L. I am so tired of these unreasonable quotes. So I bought an one-way ticket to buy it from Bay area. My final cost is

$28,907 (dealer's OTD price)
    $ 85 (one way ticket)
    $ 90 (gas)
    $ 133 (registration and use tax in WA state)

Total: $29215

Total saved $31600 - $29215 = $2385.

Arrived at dealer around 11am. Dealer had no experience dealing with out of state buyer. So it took a while to figure everything out. The good thing is that there was no hard selling. The internet manager and finance manager were both staightforward and professional. I highly recommend San Francisco Honda. The car was just off from the deliver truck and had 9 miles on it. After all the cleanups for the car, I was out of the dealer at around 4PM. I then stayed at my relative's home and then drove back home next morning.

The driving was very smooth and I was enjoying the driving and did not feel tired at all. I would have driven all the way home if I were not hungry. I got about 25mpg. I heard new car's initial gas mileage is lower so I am pretty happy about this car so far.

Being an one-way driver from San Francisco to Seattle saved me $2385. I think it is well worth it.
  • Options
    moosejaw3moosejaw3 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my LX for about a $1,000 below invoice. They have a $500 manufacturer to dealer incentive and a 3% hold back.
  • Options
    Haven't inked the deal yet(going in this Sat.), but have negotiated 26,895 for an '06EXL. Thanks to Rusch's advice. Our salesman said that mudguards are already installed so he would sell it at cost for $85 total bringing the cost of the van to 26,980. Did I do okay? They won't hit me with other costs once I get there, will they?

EXL
    $26,895 van
    $85 mud guards (parts and labor included)
    $2,2917 Tax (could be off a few $)
    $57.33 Doc fee
    $143 Lic.
    $29,476.56 out the door.

Did you buy the ext. warranty from them or through another source like the Hondacareguy people have mentioned in their other posts? Advice on letting them do the trade in or have CarMax do it?
  • Options
    Congrats! I LOVE my new car!!! But as far as the extended warranty we went through hondacare. It was cheaper. As for the trade in I went to KBB and printed out what my car was worth and we should them that print out too. (As you can see I walked in with a folder full of paper!) we got them with in $500. If you have time it couldn't hurt to go to carmax and see what they will give you too. That way you're armed w/ a few ideas of what your car is worth. Also. if your going on Sat. Go early. We were there to pick our van up @9:30. There were 2 people ahead of us to meet with the finance guy. But all in all it went pretty fast. We brought our kids with, too. Thank God for the McDonalds next door!
  • Options
    Congrats. You will be glad you have the warranty - not that the Odyssey isn't a great vehicle - it certainly is - but with 14 computers and a lot of moving parts the warranty is well worth the initial investment.

As far as bringing your kids to the dealership - a great negotiating tactic that can be used to your advantage to "shorten" the final sales cycle. I usually bring my children armed with chocolate donuts and juice. The GM and Sales manager are usually very excited to see me leave with the deal I wanted....
  • Options
    pete3721pete3721 Member Posts: 10
    That's lower than all the quotes I got from Chicago dealer. Which dealer is this one?
  • Options
    pete3721pete3721 Member Posts: 10
    With Toyota Sienna offering $2000 rebate this month, is Honda going to react with a larger incentive on Odyssey? Anyone knows?

I have been asking for price quotes from Honda dealers. They were all pretty firm on their prices a week ago, but now many of them are willing to offer competitive prices similiar to what are posted here..

Anyone has some inside information?
  • Options
    ksternosksternos Member Posts: 14
    Hi
    Can someone explain what a 3% holdback is and how does it benefit me?
  • Options
    The 3% holdback will generally only benefit you when dealers are pressed to clear inventory - like right now in August when the 07's are rolling in. I could explain how this number is configured between the favtory and the dealer but it would take a while. Bottom line is that invoice is not always the bottom line for dealers - the holdback on an 06 Odyssey EX-L is around $1000. With the $500 factory to dealer marketing support on top of that, a dealership can sell you this vehicle for $1500 below invoice and not lose money. If you are shopping now, I would try and secure the $500 and at least half of the holdback. Good luck.
  • Options
    wrpinncwrpinnc Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an EX-L +DVD in Charlotte at Crown Honda. You should be able to buy the van for about $28,550 (approx. $1,000 under invoice) which includes the $550 delivery charge. Mud flaps, wheel locks, etc. will be extra. Also try the internet sales staff at Honda at Lake Norman.
  • Options
    I bought an EXL RES for $28350 at Brilliance Honda in Crystal Lake. Had a good experience. Would definitely recommend them!
  • Options
    fundufundu Member Posts: 2
    Dealers in houston are charging way more for EXL RES. Let me know if anybody got EXL RES under 30k in Houston.
  • Options
    starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    Has anyone had any price quotes or luck with any DFW Dealers? I am looking for an EX-L without Navigation and TV.
  • Options
    tgo117tgo117 Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote in southern California (Kolbe Honda in the San Fernando Valley) for an LX with no options of $21,715. Is that a good price or should I try to get them to go lower? Thanks in advance for your comments!
  • Options
    mayorjimmayorjim Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a silver Odyssey for $22,700 in Tulsa, OK at the 2nd dealrship I visited. There initial offer was $23,500 and I countered at $22,500. We went back and forth and agreed to $22,700 + TTL. They waived there $99 loan processing fee. They tried to sell me a 6 year, 100k mile no deductable extended warranty for $1,395. I thought I would check prices on this site before purchasing the warranty. The first dealership started at $23,500 and was not willing to go any lower.
  • Options
    Brilliance Honda in Crystal Lake. '06 EXL $26,895 incl. dest. + $85 for mudguards that were alreay installed, but normally sell for $140 (parts and labor).