Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Postwar Studebakers

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    I wonder if some negative sentiment about a leader driving a foreign car, foreign cars in general, or even German cars (as it wasn't too long after 1945) led to that. But if other execs could do it, why not? Either make a policy forbidding it, or deal with it :)

That Starliner hardtop is attractive, easily competing with the big 3 price point competitors at the time in style.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,101
    I think the '53 Studes really stepped away from conventional domestic looks, but such was the modernity (is that a word?) of the '47, as even in '52 it looked somewhat comparable to the rest of the industry I think.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    I think the assembly line guys at Stude, UAW of course, thought the president should be driving the locally-built product...and he did also. But being seen in a M-B was good for the company too of course.

Studebaker workers were pretty spoiled. They actually had a better contract than the Big Three, right up 'til the end when Stude could really not afford that. They were proud of the fact that they went many years without a strike, but as usual, hindsight makes one wonder.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Just like some 53s, with heavy updates, didn't look ancient years later.

No reason to strike if you're given everything without question, right? :) If a company can afford it, it might be more efficient than dealing with strikes. But if spending exceeds income, well, good luck. I guess it all comes down to treating people right, do that and the trigger words of unions and strikes become unknown.

In Stude news, the old local dealership building is gone. Walked by the site yesterday, completely erased, flat slab, not a piece of debris remains.
    edited April 2020
    Stumbled on this black '63 Avanti in the Petersen Museum, online. Black is striking on Avantis IMHO and rarely-seen. It was introduced, then discontinued as good finish was hard to get on fiberglass. It was replaced by Avanti Grey. It was later reintroduced as a $35 option.

If I were able to buy new '63 cars today, I would definitely buy all-Studebaker--this car, the Super Red Gran Turismo Hawk at the Studebaker National Museum shown on the video I posted here a few days ago, the black Cruiser sedan with Skytop sunroof and red broadcloth upholstery, and a longbed Champ pickup with whitewalls.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124054617@N06/albums/72157709027109936/with/48040840367/

A '63 split-window Corvette does absolutely nothing for me. Too late-fifties Buck Rogers-ish, especially in silver.

I think some of my love for Stude, at least, was that their death occurred in my lifetime, and I actually have some memories of that general time period. That, and the small guy versus the giants.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    I really enjoyed reading the 52 Studebaker ad. @benjaminh thankx.

I read a lot of the items in the other topic wherer they're posted, and they
    really make my day.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    The '53 is usually considered the pinnacle of Studebaker styling. If I had a hardtop, in stock appearance, I would attempt to park it near a '53 anything else at shows, LOL.
    Some pages from the 1954 brochure....

The '54 styling revisions were minor--vertical bars in the grille, bigger bumper guards, instrumentation revised to be more readable in the Commanders. I like the looks of the '53 Commander dash though--four round hooded binnacles with gold painting at the inside top; resembles a stop light on its side, and placed down by your knees where you won't have to look at them, LOL.
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Good stuff from everyone. Interesting reading.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    benjaminh said:

Ironic that they chose to tout their painstaking crasftsmanship with a picture of the 1953 frame. As I understand it that was deemed the reason that they had problems with the new '53 being too flexible on the road causing problems with the new bodies, and had to beef it up for '54.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited April 2020
    That is true. Loewy had signs all around the studios saying "Weight is the enemy".

I've heard a crossmember was added for '54, and by the time of the final Hawks, the frame gauge was thicker as well.

Wagonaires, convertibles, and Avantis had a big "X" center section to the frame. Since the Avanti frame was shortened in the rear, it had a round crossmember at the back, unlike other models.

Corporate mis-planned for the model mix in the '53's and scheduled lower production for the coupes and hardtops (which were longer-wheelbases than all but the Land Cruiser sedan), but demand for the coupes and hardtops caught them unable to pump them out and orders/sales were lost. To a lesser-degree (since it wasn't their primary model), early production problems with Avanti bodies from MFG in Ashtabula, OH cost early sales and resulted in cancelled orders. Studebaker ended up adding Avanti body production at South Bend. I've seen a letter from the president of MFG to Egbert, complaining that he was requiring fussier finish than GM was on Corvettes and that they were spending too much time on that. That was humorous reading for me.

PBS had a special in 1983 called "Studebaker: Less Than They Promised", a play on their old "Always Give More Than You Promise" slogan, mostly in regards to employees losing pensions at the end. They had a Dealer Relations guy saying he got an angry call on Avanti introduction day from a dealer who had built its own Avanti showroom, had painted footprints on the sidewalk leading into the showroom, etc., but on introduction day didn't have one. The guy said most dealers didn't have one on introduction day.
    edited April 2020
    One of several April 1959 assembly line photos taken by employee Paul Tribbey and shared by his daughter Mary Jo Smith on a Facebook page. Used here by permission. It must have been sweet, how the South Bend lines were buzzing in 1959. Note the red Silver Hawk in the line.

I could never stand prop-rod hoods, LOL, then or now. All four of my Studebakers had hoods that stayed open by themselves, but all were '63 or newer.

My two Cobalts had hoods that stayed open; subsequent Cruzes have prop rods, grrrr.
    Prop rod hoods kind of bug me, too. Fortunately, I don't MB has ever used one, they all either have struts or a spring/counterbalance design.
    To me they are cheapening out to the nth degree. I think Ford was the first to do this in the modern era with the Pinto and Maverick. I am surprised and disappointed that GM did that to the Cruze.

My Cobalts also had struts holding the decklid open--none of those gooseneck hinges, which take up space. Cruzes since have the goosenecks, sigh.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,098
    Saw a Cruze hatchback at my local coffee shop, today. Premier trim. I think those are great looking. Driver had an easy 20 years on me..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited April 2020
    Hatches never grabbed me--look chopped off at the back. Plus, the Cruze hatchbacks were never built in the 'States, which sealed the deal for me. :)

That should've been the first clue of GM's intentions about the current Cruze--not building the hatch alongside the sedan at Lordstown, which seems that it would've been simple to do.
    kyfdx said:

Saw a Cruze hatchback at my local coffee shop, today. Premier trim. I think those are great looking. Driver had an easy 20 years on me..

I was out today and was reminded of those when a new Corolla hatch pulled up next to me. I liked the Cruze hatch a lot - actually was prepared to buy one if the drive went a bit better - and the Toyota version looks quite sharp.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,098
    ab348 said:

kyfdx said:

I was out today and was reminded of those when a new Corolla hatch pulled up next to me. I liked the Cruze hatch a lot - actually was prepared to buy one if the drive went a bit better - and the Toyota version looks quite sharp.
    I agree... Corolla hatch lives around the corner from me. Also, attractive.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited April 2020
    Just came across this photo of a turquoise '64 Avanti with the factory-authorized-optional Halibrand wheels against whitewalls. If this car had the beige interior instead of turquoise, it would be my ultimate Avanti. I think after vascillating over the years, the '64 interior revisions trump the external change from round to square glass-covered headlight enclosures. Personally, I really like the Halibrands. And at this angle, this color, I think the car still looks fresh today.
    edited April 2020
    The Studebaker National Museum posted this video aimed at dealers for the '64 model year, on Facebook yesterday. Mostly Avanti but also touches on Super Lark and Super Hawk. David E. Davis (Car and Driver) praises the '64 model Studes here (damning with faint praise LOL). At about 2:27, the Avanti tries to merge next to a low-line '59 Ford four-door sedan. Hard to imagine two cars that contrast more. So much optimism at the end of the video for the '64's, and sadly it was the model year that ended a 111-year production run in the U.S.

https://www.facebook.com/StudebakerMuseum/videos/534452340589233/

edited April 2020
    Got this neat piece in the mail today from the wife of my late friend whose family ran the Stude dealer in my hometown from 1926-68. Letter is dated 4/3/28 and was found by my friend's friend in her house in our hometown although she doesn't know who the author or recipient is. The letter talks about checking out a new '28 Commander Roadster at my friend's family's dealer and is asking his brother to price one in (much larger) Pittsburgh. Apparently even in '28, people were pricing big-city dealers to try and beat the hometown guy, LOL.

I was happy to get it.

The biggest irony for me is that the car I had adopted at the Studebaker museum in memory of my friend the dealer, is a '28 Commander Roadster, of all things.
    '28 Commander Roadster I adopted--page down, far right, green car with white lettering:

https://studebakermuseum.org/support/adopt-a-car/adopted-cars/
    Roughly 20% off MSRP right off the bat, not bad. Must have been the top model, that was at least a moderate sum for a car then.

Almost exactly 92 years ago today, too.
    edited April 2020

'28 Commander Roadster I adopted--page down, far right, green car with white lettering:

https://studebakermuseum.org/support/adopt-a-car/adopted-cars/

Wow, a lot of fun vehicles. Now I really want to go to that museum when it reopens!
    edited April 2020
    Wow, a lot of fun vehicles. Now I really want to go to that museum when it reopens!

I love it myself, and am a member. But just know, it's not huge. A lot of carriages. But I think for a defunct auto marque, it's pretty impressive in the quality of what's there, and having the Archives across the street is a plus for a history geek (even of paperwork) like me. The Archives is by appointment only, but if I were going I'd ask for a tour of that building too.

They sometimes have non-Studebaker displays at the museum, supposedly to keep locals coming back, but I wish they wouldn't do that. :)
    Cool 1966 photo taken in Newport, RI, featuring a Studebaker Avanti front-and-center. What a mix of vehicles in this one shot. Sadly, that fairly-new Mustang has already taken a big hit in the right door.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    edited April 2020
    Looks like a '64 Triumph Spitfire behind the 1960ish VW flower bus. Interesting traffic mix back then which could only happen at a car show today.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    With the MG and VW along with the Georgian buildings, it could almost pass for somewhere in the UK.
    Interesting front bumper assembly on that VW van. "LeBlanc's Florist"? Are we sure this wasn't in France? :laughing:

That is an interesting bumper override bar (if that's what you want to call it) on the VW. I hadn't noticed that before.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Hurst bumpers and nerf bars are still a thing. Especially if original but they make repop too.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    edited April 2020
    Just came across this picture of Ricky Nelson in his Avanti. The car survives; I remember seeing it for sale with documentation by a dealer a few years back.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    How was it equipped? Ricky had such a clean-cut image it would amuse me greatly to find out that it had an R2 or R3 and a four-speed.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

edited April 2020
    I just Googled his car and it was an R1, automatic, A/C, power windows-car bought pretty early, Nov. '62, at Coventry Motors on Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills.

From the pic I could tell it was an early car, as it doesn't have roof drip/gutter moldings which were introduced mid-model-year.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    Wow. That hits his image right on the button.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Agreed.

The R1 would be comparable to a Chevy 327.
    edited April 2020
    Here's a short factory film of the '64 Daytona Hardtop in Laguna Blue--a nice, compact car I'd love to own now. The oval fender badge would indicate Avanti R1 power. I always felt the four-headlight-styling, 15-inch wheels and large rear wheel openings give an impression of it being larger-than-compact.

I remember a same-year Cruiser sedan in this same color, always kept clean, owned by a school teacher in the early seventies. At the time I thought it was cool that it had buckets and floor-shift automatic in a four-door. I remember the front seats were covered in clear plastic.

Couple neat small things about the '64's are instrument lighting in red, and a slide-out beauty vanity in the glovebox, with a flip-up mirror.

Only 2,414 1964 Daytona Hardtops were built between South Bend and Hamilton, Ontario.

I've been in that driveway loop in front of that house several times--the house is still there, looks identically to when Studebaker was there. It's out at the Proving Ground although the house is now part of the 'Nature Center' of the park there that's a portion of the old 800-acres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=75&v=1L0AhQEXLdk&feature=emb_title
    The Avanti was introduced to the public 58 years ago today, on April 26, 1962. It is a polarizing design, like most Studebakers, but I think even those who don't like it could concede that it was unlike anything else offered at that time. The curved side glass alone--other than Lincoln Continental, I can't think of any other domestic cars with it. Of course in the fall of that year, the Corvette and Riviera would have it--the Corvette's being framed.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-300013/1963-studebaker-avanti-r2/
    edited April 2020
    Just saw this '63 newspaper ad for the first time. As I've noted, '63's are my favorite four-door Studebakers--the most European ('Benz-like) Studes ever built IMHO--I really like the roofline, particularly the rear-door cutout which reminds me of later Sevilles and '77 GM full-size sedans.

As someone I know pointed out about this ad, "well-nourished" then is different than "well-nourished" now and I sadly count myself as one of the latter. :)

Funny, I think that all the time in the fintail too, a hat would fit easily, and I am 6'1". As you like to say, those Studes have the "Mercedes Bends".

For the Avanti, I think the early ones have lovely interiors, and as said before, I think the round lights work much better than the later versions.

edited April 2020
    Seen cruising last night in a China Virus safe distancing cruise in Greenville on downtown streets which my buddy and I cruised in our youths, long, long ago. LOL Locals revived the cruise due to the lack of car shows and cruise-ins for the obvious reasons.

Car looks original to me with those whitewalls. What does the badge
    mean? (I didn't take the picture. I wasn't there.)

edited April 2020
    That is a '56 either "Flight Hawk" (six) or "Power Hawk" (V8)...same trim levels, different engines. Lower-end of Hawks. I think those cars are proportioned so nicely, especially for that time. The decklid would say either "Flight Hawk" or "Power Hawk".

This particular one was two-toned not as-factory--it has the rare Sky Hawk hardtop 'vee' checkmark molding to separate the two colors. From the factory, Flight Hawks and Power Hawks, when two-toned, only had the secondary color on the roof.

The grille emblem was Studebaker's emblem during that period.
    That Studebaker should have chrome turn signals on top of each front fender based on the pictures in the 56 brochure. That would explain the amber lights that are recessed in the "nasal" passages on each side of the front.

Owner needs some NOS lights.

You are correct! I had missed that.

My Dad wouldn't have been caught dead in a Studebaker, but I found myself looking at them even when I was a kid, thinking they were so different.
    The ad for 53 I believe said something about being the first US car that looked like a foreign built car in the brochure.

My buddy's mother had one from that era and it was dark blue and light blue, a President IIRC, and a 2-door.

Just today saw this old South Bend Tribune pic and short article about the first production-line Avanti going to the wife of Studebaker president Sherwood H. Egbert. I'd not heard that before.

edited April 2020
    Same person posted this photo, which I'd never seen before.. a '62 Lark Daytona convertible, which was the Indy 500 Pace Car that year. I knew she was Egbert's second wife and lived 1932-1997. They lived at the 'Proving Ground Mansion' as it was called.