Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln LS

Comments

• Options
    drolds1drolds1 Member Posts: 247
    Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll give it a try. I think they offer a money-back guarantee if you're not satisfied. It's not a major investment ($19.95) anyway.
  • Options
    herb17herb17 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone remember the car stereo web site that offered the good price on the Polk DX7's? If I recall, the price was about $100 a pair. It's time to upgrade. Thanks.
  • Options
    tom12253tom12253 Member Posts: 110
    I got mine from onlinestereo.com for $109.00 pr free shipping.

Tom
  • Options
    airwolf1000airwolf1000 Member Posts: 225
    After reading Slowdrivers report on his very fortunate venture to the Firestone Dealership, I ventured to do the same today. This was brought on by some Hydroplaning in the Wet Weather this week in Texas. 28K and almost down to the bars. I was very polite and proceeded with caution, but was told my tires were not covered by a tread warranty since they are V-Rated. Gave me the whole speel and in any case no deal. I would need to buy new tires with no warrantee credit. Any one else had good luck at Firestone? I really don't want to lay down no $150 per tire for the tires + install. Thank God the LH's are only $69 dollars +-- 8 dollars per tire for shipping at the tirerack. I have to admit the PZERO's Directional upfront with assimetrico's in the rear is tempting. Similar to my mountain bike setup!

Anyway any other tactic I should try at another firestone dealer?

Regards,

Airwolf1000
  • Options
    slowdriverslowdriver Member Posts: 41
    I went to a Firestone company owned store. Even though the firehawks were V rated, I was told they are warrenteed, damage excluded of course. The bridgestone replacement tires are also V rated, but not a stock item in the store. They arrived a week after they were ordered.

If the local store will not give you what you want, then call firestone and ask for the regional office, they should be able to help you.

Happy tire hunting.....
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Just finished a wood-working project in the garage.

Why is it that when using the shop vac, the attachment keeps falling off, but when I want to change attachments, I have to HAMMER the damn thing off?

Okay, back to car (LS) talk.
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    According to www.autonews.com in an article dated August 27th entitled "Japan's Product Avalanche Continues", the 3.2TL redesign arrives in MY 2004. It is unclear whether the new car will be FWD or RWD and whether they will continue to use the Accord platform or use a smaller version of the 3.5RL. The redesigned 3.5RL will bow MY 2003 and will likely be RWD, but not a V-8.
    Sounds like the 3.2TL in its present configuration would be an orphan as many manufacturers are "rediscovering" RWD. Or is it that the public is waking up to the "non-advantages" of FWD, especially in heavier and more powerful vehicles.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    stanny1... Did you see the mention of upcoming supercharged IS300 in this same article? Was posted with link on IS300 board here.
  • Options
    ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    Gary,

Probably for the same reason riez keeps posting here after he promised he said he wouldn't!
  • Options
    reneleblancreneleblanc Member Posts: 144
    If you get a chance to REALLY DRIVE these cars, I think you'll discover a larger difference, especially during acceleration above 60 MPH. Check these torque differences:

RPM V6 V8

1500 170 230

3000 200 240

4500 205 267

6000 180 225

If you look at the graphs (see http://www.llsoc.com/index.htm )

You will notice that the LOWEST V8 torque across the entire RPM range is considerably above the torque PEAK of the V6.

These cars have the same transmission. If the V6 seemed smoother, it may have had a longer "training" experience. These transmissions continually adjust themselves to maximize smoothness.

Furthermore, I think, as good as the Duratech V6 is, the LS's V8 engine is practically unmatched for turbine-like smoothness.

I agree strongly with the comments made by others regarding RWD vs FWD.

• Options
    I am trying the Firestone Consumer affairs department. By the way how do the revo's handle compared to the LH's.

Regards,
    Victor
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    TRD is helping Lexus with a supercharger for the IS300. I don't understand why the IS300 straight six can't put out more power naturally aspirated. The M3 doesn't have a blower but supposedly has 330hp. Or is this an "Q45" rating?
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I test drove a co-worker's V6 auto sport (I have a V8 sport) and to me it seemed like the V6 was better matched to the tranny (whatever that means). It definitely felt smoother. Maybe the lower torque makes a difference. Of course that was before I had the reflash done - it might be less of a difference now. But in my subjective opinion the V6 auto definitely felt smoother.
  • Options
    apologies... Get off work, open beer, and see reprinted LA Times article in local paper. Byline is from Wixom, Mich. Probably from within past couple days. Talks about the T-bird launch, defective cooling system, quality & sales issues, and steps to ensure improvements. Mentions Ford is "intercepting cars in transit" to return them to Wixom. Maybe that is why I saw two car trailers full of brand new T Birds at hotel along interstate Monday morning?

ls1bmw0... My apologies. I know you and some others like to dominate this board. Keep outsiders quiet. I really am trying to keep quiet. Did notice you linked my first report on the obnoxious long-haired Lincoln chief designer. I did say I would still read and think my promise also mentioned not getting mentioned afterwards. But you fanatics had to get some digs in.

You should read the CTS post today which comments quite unfavorably on you LS fanatics here. My interest on all boards here still remains learning about upcoming changes to LS and other cars. stanny1 mentions TL changes. IS300 ones also significant. stanny1 doesn't seem to post on IS330 board. Interesting that the changes being reported elsewhere appear to overshadow things planned for '03 LS.
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I find part of his posts to be thought provoking. The remainder I can forget. Overall, I gain by his participation.

Let's continue with cars ... and shop vacs.
  • Options
    ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    Yes we are and proud of it. What's wrong with being fanatical about a car that we own and love? I wouldn't denigrate your opinion if you said that you loved your Malibu, why put us down just because we like our LS? Why should we, who really love the car, have to continously defend the fact that we do? So what if newer cars have more or better (fill in the blank)? Does that make me any unhappier with my current LS? No. Everyone who come to this board does so to learn about the attributes and vices of the LS. The title of this board is LS Enthusiasts, not LS Sucks. That should give you the first clue about which way this board is slanted. Go look at the Chrysler 300M board, BMW boards. See how many people over there are fanatics about their cars. What is so wrong about being a fanatic?

Lincoln at least had the guts to come out with a car so totally alien to their customer base and be the first to do so. Cadillac is playing catch-up with something that will be three years newer than the LS when it is available for consumers. Of course it's going to be better than the current LS. What do you think they looked at? Just BMW and not the American competition? Lincoln has sold over 80,000 LSes since it's introduction. I'd say that's a success. Not gigantic by some standards, but still a home run.

I don't believe that the veteran members of this board keep outsiders out. If you look back on posts you will find that we have consistently helped out newcomers and people who were shopping different brands with both positive and negative feedback about the LS. As the host basically said in one of her posts, what do you expect if you come in and put the posters on the defensive, welcoming arms? I am the Community Leader of this board? How would you like me to act? Should I agree with you when you denigrate the LS? Should I refrain from joking with you? Then it will be you who dominates this board and that wouldn't be right either. I am supposed to be the cheerleader for this car and I enjoy that role. I'm not about to apologize or make excuses for liking the car as much as I do and there are a lot of others that feel the same way.

Email me at brian.gowing@llsoc.com if you want to continue this discussion.
  • Options
    scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    So, the LS (and it's owners) compares unfavorably with the CTS (currently available only in press release form) and the avid fans of those press releases.

Compare the LS to what's on the market today. It will come up short in certain areas vs. certain cars, and vice versa. Comparing it to claims, promises, future plans, etc. is just bugle oil.
  • Options
    mkovalskmkovalsk Member Posts: 114
    It's time. I've been in this position for almost 5 years, and it is time for a change.

I am leaving LS land. I'm going to work in another transmission department on another all new transmission.

I promise to not be a stranger here. I am planning to attend LS Mania II, and I hope to see some old friends and make some new ones, too.

I have introduced my replacement to Edmund's. He'll be catching up on a lot of posts, but then you should hear from him.

Participation in this board has been one of the highlights of my career. Thanks for the memories!

Mark Kovalsky
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, the title of this discussion is "Lincoln LS", not "LS Enthusiasts" (that title goes to the board linked above "Owners Club") and it is indeed hosted by Edmunds.com's Town Hall, not LS owners. Everyone is welcome to post here, as long as the post is within the terms of the Membership Agreement.

I have to speak up now and tell you that I have been reading this board since January. It is a great place for LS owners to find all kinds of comraderie with the positives and negatives of this vehicle.

However, it has become clear to me that if someone shows up here with a lot less than totally enthusiastic comments about the LS, and that someone is not a poster with whom you - as a group - are already familiar and already recognize as an LS enthusiast, you (again as a group) are not very tolerant of the person's viewpoint.

Certainly that stance is okay in and of itself. We all are entitled to our opinions and none of us need to engage in conversation with folks with whom we share no opinions nor similarities. But honestly, what I see going on here, is not that simple.

Instead, I see active personal attacks towards folks who do not seem to subscribe to the same theories that the "LS enthusiasts" do.

This is not a good thing. It is not what Town Hall is about. All opinions are welcome here, again, as long as the posted message stays within the Membership Agreement.

I have posted this before and interestingly got a number of emails in support of my stance, and only one protesting it - if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Again, if we have a troll in our midst, ignoring the presumed troll is the best way to get rid of that person. If the person presumed to be a troll is really not a troll, that person will therefore learn that he or she must word his or her messages differently to get the reasonable response desired.

I appreciate everyone's understanding of the points I am trying to make. If anyone has any questions or anything else to say about this, please feel free to contact me off-line.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Mark -

Well, darn!

We WILL miss you!

Best of luck anyway...

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Who was hoping to see what you'd do to keep the LS automatic trans. together with a supercharged V8 in front of it...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    ls1bmw0... Think not owning one helps keep one more objective. As does test driving lots of other cars. I only started paying attention here because you guys kept talking about all sorts of important changes. So where is the beef? Weren't none for '01. Ain't none for '02. Seems like maybe what there will be for '03 won't keep up with the Jones?

Not sure what you mean about "newer cars have more or better". Are you talking about the "older" TL that now has a serious Type S? Or the "newer" IS300 that quickly adds manual, Sport Wagon, and soon to be supercharger? Or are you saying an '02 LS is somehow "older" than an '02 330i? Thought both were 2002s. Think all you are doing is confirming that Lincoln isn't making the effort to keep the LS current. It started out pretty good for the price, but then started falling behind, and seems like it will far farther behind. Too bad. Nice platform starved for serious development work. Too bad Jag doesn't seem to want to pick up slack, focusing on X Type.

And talk about being objective. The half of you with the underpowered LS V-6s only want to talk about handling. Of course, since the acceleration numbers are so dismal. But the handling numbers for the base model are underwhelming. Forces you to focus on intangibles so you can always say "My RWD LS is better than your (you name the platform)." That similarly priced '02 3.2TL Type S blows your base '02 LS V-6 away on the highway and on the track. You pan the 3.2TL Type S but the reviewers and buyers aren't. And there isn't any real comparison between 330i/M3 & 530i/M5 manuals and your LS V-6, manual or automatic. Hoping G35 is a great car. And supercharged IS300.

Now we've both had our say. 'nuff said!
  • Options
    scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    If I had bought my LS thru the internet and had no contact with anyone from Lincoln, I would still be a happy owner. Your participation, and that of other folks, is just icing on the cake. Thanks for the help, the fellowship, and, last but not least, thanks for a great transmission!
    I salute you every time I pull out to pass.

Best of luck with your new project, and keep your promise; don't be a stranger.

Scott
  • Options
    We have a very active Comparisons - Sedans vs. Sedans board where you may find a discussion underway that fits your needs - or if not, please feel free to start a new one.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    with the "underpowered" V6 rant. Let the engine break-in before making an assessment on power. It really does take many thousands of miles to loosen up and start performing! I'll put my 6 up against any BMW, Chrysler, Acura or Lexus 6. To truly find out a car's ability, one must drive it EXTENSIVELY! If the LS was such a slouch Motorweek wouldn't have named it Best Luxury Sedan two years in a row. Ahead of the TL, 300M, 525/528 IS300, etc. They're experience in their long term test was very favorable. I AM a fanatic about this car, having had my fair share. I don't pretend to be objective. I made my purchase choice 13 months and 26k miles ago and haven't looked back. In fact I'm looking forward to my next LS!

Sorry to see you go, Mark. You and your help will be missed! I hope you have fun in your new position!
  • Options
    packv12packv12 Member Posts: 95
    I want to thank you for all of your input of our problems and for the basic engineering (calibrations) of the transmission. Although I was unable to attend Mania I, I hope to meet you at Mania II.

About other things here, if you haven't found your siren, let me know. I'll practice up for the Flinstones run, I'll be the siren. Call and ask for the son of Badge #1871 of the CFD.

Best of luck getting and keeping your hands dirty!
  • Options
    buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Effective today the 2002 LM training site is operational, Brian you might want to add it to the LLSOC links, the 2001 link you have does not appear to be working and by the way since you are coveting new T-Bird owners you might be interested in their training site, because the link exceeds Edmunds 115 I'll e-mail you it.

http://lincoln.lmtraining.com/2002/ls/index.htm
  • Options
    of how every other car on the planet has the LS beat at something is starting to sound hauntingly familiar. I hear that the Trabant has a shorter turning circle and is easier to park than an LS, but I don't beleive everything I read in car magazines.

Mark. Let me join the others in thanking you for all your past (and future, we hope) invaluable help, your spirit and just the pleasure of knowing you. Good luck in the future and please stay active here & at LLSOC. I'll see you at Wixom in October.

Gary- I think the same forces are at work here that keep you from growing new grass on your lawn, yet have it coming out of every crack in your driveway, sidewalk or patio:)

Artie
  • Options
    karzzkarzz Member Posts: 151
    Thanks Mark for your active participation. I've always been amazed how quickly and thoroughly you respond to questions. Lincoln is lucky to have such a great group of engineers. Best of luck on your new project.
  • Options
    packv12packv12 Member Posts: 95
    Did you have to mention that. Much like the bald guys who grow hair like crazy elsewhere!
  • Options
    ronniepoohronniepooh Member Posts: 339
    how come the TL never won Motorweeks Luxury Car of the Year award? Or Motor Trends Car of the Year Award? Has it won any awards?

It's FWD. It spins its FRONT tires. How many BMW's are FWD? How many MB's are FWD? Ferraris? Porsches?

A Civic SI will outaccelerate an LS too. Whats your point, riez? Do you even own a car?

Buh-bye.
  • Options
    jnowskijnowski Member Posts: 96
    Thanks Mark, for your participation, and especially for all those technical tidbits you've shared with us. Best of luck in your new position!! (BTW, does it have anything to do with Mustangs and paddle shifters?)
  • Options
    johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    I want to add my thanks to all the others; you've demonstrated time and again, by your active participation here and above-and-beyond-the-call assistance, how fortunate we LS fanatics are to have a car that's been developed and produced by true enthusiasts. One of my best memories from Mania 1 was talking with you at happy hour; it was a real treat.

Best of luck with your next project; the members of your new team will be fortunate, indeed, to have you in their midst. Take care & don't be a stranger.

Note to Artie: You forgot the most important advantage that the Trabby has over the LS. It has an edible, soybean-based body shell; if (when) it blows up somewhere west of Laramie, you won't go hungry. ;-)
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I want to add my thanks for your participation on this board. It was a pleasure to meet and talk with you at LS Mania. Good luck in your new position.(Hope it is a promotion)
  • Options
    buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Mark you said it cost you a bundle to have your name at the end of each post here, just think of the profits from sub-leasing :-) Only thing is I think your replacement will have to be named MARK. Best wishes...
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Thanks for all the help (including the explorer help from the newsgroups a few years ago!) and good luck. I hope your replacement knows how big the shoes are.
  • Options
    heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    I'll miss your input on this board, and I don't even own the automatic. Was great to meet you in Irvine. I'd love to be at Wixom as well, but my wife is due with our next (and LAST) child on the 16th.

Best of luck in your new endeavor. Hope all is continuously challenging and variable, and that the new team is the best available.

George
  • Options
    heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    I don't know what posts I've missed over the past year but I can't recall anything that's been said to a visitor on this discussion board coming close to being as offensive and insulting as the crap that riez has been spewing for the past 3 weeks.

Witness today's rehashing of his same tired bull about why isn't the LS the equivalent of an Aston Martin for 1/100th the price, as are the Acura and the Infiniti. And I'd like to point out that his post today comes one week after this "man of his word" promised he'd leave us to fart amoungst ourselves. As have a dozen other posts of his.

And then I see this message from "Pat the Host" accusing us of not playing nice with others. Bull. Pat's already pulled 2 of my posts referring to riez off the board. How many of riez' have you pulled, Pat? Here's a guy who copies posts from other boards to try to embarass LS owners on this one, has nothing constructive to say, rehashes the same tired mantra several times a day and compares us to the belching cowboys in a Mel Brooks movie. But we're the ones not playing nice?

I'd like to find out how we can request another host, Pat. I am not at all happy with the way you've handled this situation.

Of course, I fully expect you to pull this post using your super-powers. Hopefully you'll refrain from kicking me out of Edmunds long enough to give me a chance to say so long to the folks I've met on this board. LS owners who are unafraid to criticize their own cars, but are quick to come to it's defense when a know-it-all know-nothing trouble-maker shows up and uses it as a whipping boy ad-infinitum vs his dream cars, one a FWD 2-door coupe which is about as much like an LS as a bologna sandwich.

So I hope those who I've made personal contact with will keep in touch. I guess I'll get my LS-hits on the LLSOC site, that is if Brian will have me! Say, riez can't post there, can he?

Well, I'm off to burn the Edmunds ball caps I got from Melissa in Irvine.

George
  • Options
    leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    Good luck in your new position, Mark, and as many others have said, "Thank you for all of your help on this board".
    I have yet to find the PERFECT car. In fact, I don't think that one exists. That, however, does not mean that a BMW or Chevrolet or even a Hyundai doesn't have some sort of merit for some sort of transportational duties on any given day.
    There are four cars and a truck in my family. All of them are different, and all of them have their plusses and minuses, depending on what or whom I'm transporting, and how far they or it have to be transported.
    In some way, shape or form, I like all of them, yet that doesn't mean that they don't have their individual shortcomings. I'm fully aware of this. Criticize me about my choices, however, and you'll probably get an argument from me. Why?? Because I'm human, and human nature generally is such that we don't like personal criticism. Come on to this board and start "confronting" people about choosing an LS, and you're bound to get a "flare-up".
    If you don't like the LS, fine, there are many other cars to choose from. If you want honest feedback from a group of owners, here it is. As my mother told me 45 years ago, "Play nice, and the other kids will play with you".
  • Options
    keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    Yau claim we are not tolerant of opposing viewpoints, I totally disagree. Go back to the very beginning, not just a few months, and you will see that we have always accepted others' viewpoints except when the same point is made over and over ad naseum without any supporting material or only by speculation about future developments. When a certain poster initially came here with questions reguarding the LS we freely gave our honest opinions. It wasn't until it became blatently obvious that nothing we "fanatics" could say would disuade him from his negative viewpoint. Comparing the LS to other vehicles is perfectly rational for someone who is deciding upon an upcoming purchase, afterall we have all gone through the process. It is when we give our rationale for purchasing an LS and it is rejected in its entirety with unsupported claims about future models that is upsetting. Open and honest discussions about the merits of all competitors will always be of interest, but continually stating how horrible/nadequate the LS is and that Ford Motor Company is on the verge of bankruptcy is nonsense. If you think stating such facts is an "active personal attack" then so be it; I do not consider it such. You have a difficult job in keeping this a composed discusion, but criticising only those "already recognize as an LS enthusiast" does not bode well. We merely responded to attacks which were in essence asking "How could you have bought such an inferior car?" We know it is not inferior and will not accept such BS lightly from anyone. If you keep both viewpoints in line then we support you, if you begin to be perceived as taking sides then you will loose all respect. Good luck in a difficult task, I'm pulling for you.
  • Options
    Heyjewel & Leadfoot. George, you can post on my board anytime!

I don't know what LS board Pat has been monitoring, but those of us who have been here since before January know that many have come here honestly seeking info & have been treated kindly B/C their requests were put forth in a civilized, intelligent fashion. It's all in the perception. Of course, they've been encouraged to give the LS a second look. That's what we're here for. Why would we take the time and effort here if we weren't LS "evangelists?" After making INTELLIGENT comparisons, some have chosen other cars and let us know it. My recall is that they have always been wished well whatever they chose.

You choose what works best for you. That's why they have menus in restaurants. When you go out to eat with friends, do you attack their choices for dinner? Say, you know what? A Timex does the same thing as a Rolex. In some ways the former does it better than the latter. I don't think you can get an Indiglo Rolex that lights up in the movies. However, I'm not going to walk into Torneau Corner in NYC and start insulting the customers B/C they're spending more than $35 on a wristwatch.

My point is people make personal choices for personal reasons & most people are going to react if you insult that choice in a certain manner. My other car is a Nissan Altima. I originally bought it to commute to work in a carpool. I thought it represented a great choice for that purpose. It was reliable, well-built and could economically carry 4 passengers in reasonable comfort and safety for 45 minutes. Now I just use it to drive to the train station & for various errands around town. It serves THAT purpose quite well. However, it's just an appliance. Is it any fun to drive?-not a bit. Would I take it on a trip?-never.

As leadfoot so aptly points out, not all cars are all things to all people. Anyone who can fog up a mirror can see that we are not blind to the LS's shortcomings. All you have to do is read back on this board or better yet, go to LLSOC. We have 2 master technicians to help diagnose problems. We now have all 200 or so TSB's posted & there is a place to voice quality or dealer problems. There is a lengthy wish-list. Is this the sign of a perfect car? If the nay-sayers had been flies on the wall at LS Mania 1, they would have been privy to earfuls that the engineers were greeted with about certain glaring oversights. I can predict with certainty, the same thing will ensue at LS Mania 2. However, the bottom line is we LOVE our cars, warts and all. I wonder if anyone posts insulting criticisms on any of the MG car club boards. How can these people be so enthusiastic about a vehicle with such a repuatation for breaking down, slow acceleration and lack of passenger space?

Sorry for the length of this post, but I felt it neede to be said and after being back at work after a 2-week vacation, I'll do anything except what I'm supposed to be doing:)

John-how could I forget that soybean-based "coachwork?"
  • Options
    lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    Best of Luck to you in your new assignment. You have truly left your mark on the LS (no pun intended). Your willing assistance to the LS owners here at Edmunds, LLSOC, and the Mania events has set a new benchmark for other auto companies to measure up to. Somehow, I don't think they're up to the challenge! Thanks for making my ownership experience an excellent one.
  • Options
    joelincolnjoelincoln Member Posts: 100
    Mark,
    Congrats on your new position. I know what its like to stay in one place for too long even if that place is really very nice.

It's not every day that a good design engineer has an impact on his design beyond the drawing board. Your input here and at LLSOC has been invaluable and we will all miss it greatly.

Now will someone please fire a 21 bit salute and organize a fly-over with a "missing file formation". :-)

Good luck, see you at Mania II
    Joe
  • Options
    karzzkarzz Member Posts: 151
    As a follower of this board for more than a year and a half I could not disagree more with pat HOSTs comments about 'LS enthusiasts'.

Additionally, I am bewildered why Edmunds would choose to berate a group of enthusiasts especially since Edmunds was so eager to capitalize on and get their name associated with the LS event in Irvine. Whats up with that?
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    My internet-impaired uncle drives an LS, so I lurk in this topic to keep him up to date. It seems to me that the title of this topic should inform even the most feeble-minded participant that they will encounter a fair amount of grief if they are overly critical of the LS. This is as it should be. This is a topic for "LS Enthusiasts". What a difficult concept to grasp. It amazes me when someone spends lots of time in a partisan topic chanting "Mine's better than yours." Why? Inferiority complex? Envy? Bored eighth grader home with the flu? Maybe they find it more entertaining than driving their own car...
  • Options
    And I do certainly understand that it is terribly aggravating to participate in a discussion devoted to your vehicle of choice and have someone drop in who is full of criticisms of that vehicle. I agree that comes across as slamming your personal choice, and that feels personally insulting.

The difficulty I have is that Town Hall exists to allow folks to express their opinions about vehicles as long as the posts meet the terms of the Membership Agreement.

There is nothing in that agreement that prohibits negative opinions being expressed about vehicles and manufacturers. I know you all know this. However, that agreement does require that we treat each other in a civil and respectful manner. Negative opinions about other posters, depending on how they are worded, very often do not meet that test.

I know you are sick of hearing this, but the way to get rid of someone you don't want to hear from is to ignore the posts made by that person. Responding only encourages the posts to continue.

Responding with personal attacks is not within the Membership Agreement and leaves me no choice but to remove such a message.

I said many things in my post last night - one thing was my observation of how some folks are sometimes treated here. Perhaps indeed I do not have the full picture. I apologize if that is the case.

I really am listening to you. I hope you will give me the same courtesy.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    sclark8sclark8 Member Posts: 44
    Pat:

IMHO threatening Members Agreements is adding fuel to the fire. In addition, I feel that you have been encouraging the flames by the LS bashing posters.

Maybe you should review Apex's reign as moderator to see how this group functioned before your heavy hand came on the scene.

Apex did not threaten and did moderate this forum well by not threatening but encouraging civil behavior. In addition, he did not take sides.

My 2 cents.
  • Options
    reneleblancreneleblanc Member Posts: 144
    It seemed to me that Pat HOST was only trying to calm people down before a destructive flame war broke out. Some of the posts were becoming a bit testy.

I haven't felt insulted or threatened by posts by riez or others who make observations that aren't 100% positive about the LS. This kind of input brings a broader viewpoint that I think is ultimately healthy. One of the purposes of this forum is to see all sorts of viewpoints and information about the subject of interest, and it isn't required that we all have to agree with every bit of it.

Bottom line: Am I still happy I bought a 2000 Lincoln LS-8 back in December of 1999? ABSOLUTELY! My wife and I have taken a half dozen major trips with this car covering all kinds of roads and driving conditions, and we are still surprised at how well and comfortably this car performs its function. Could it be improved? Can *I* be improved? I sure hope so! Constructive criticism is good stuff!
  • Options
    I want to personally thank Mark for being diligent and making sure all our calibrations were included in the TSB's. He personally talked to my Service Advisor. We will miss you, but hope to see you at LS MANIA II and around the board...

Good Luck on the New Tranny! Make Ford/Lincoln Proud!

Regards,

Airwolf1000
  • Options
    Allright guys, I think the reason we all get fiesty when someone else posts something derogatory about the LS is because they do not see the big picture. First of all the LS is a very Special Car in American Luxury History. I can't think of any other American Car that has combined all of the aspects of European Luxury and American Power in one Vehicle. It has all of the characteristics of a thoroughbred. The only other Sedan like the LS though more on the Performance side is the IMPALA SS. Now we all grant that the IMPALA SS is a special car and has a Place in History. So will the LS. Also while the LS does not excel at any one thing (Except for Handling of course!) It is the sum that it is important and the fact that you can be in one and not necessarily feel like you got ripped a new hole in your pocket like a BMW would. That is the value proposition of the LS we all love. Most of us would be in a 540 I am sure but, did not want to, could not justify, or some could not pay for the 540.

I think its like a beautiful girl with a few minor nits, but in the end you love everything else about her and everybody is just focusing on the wrong things. It is doubly annoying.
    We want everybody to See the Big Picture. The LS is what it is and we will take it anyday of the week.

Regards,

Airwolf1000
  • Options
    leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I was in the market for some new stereo gear recently, so I hit all of the manufacturers' web sites as well as some of the audiophile "opinion" sites. In looking at the performance data, you can sort of see what amplifier and/or CD player has more power, less distortion, etc, but there's one thing you have to remember. The specs are frequently based on pumping "pink noise" through the system, and measuring the results with a highly technical microphone, rather than a pair of human ears.
    What the component will ultimately sound like in your home, and to your ears, is another story. In another words, pure performance data isn't always the ultimate way to make a decision. The audiophile sites generally will bear this out.
    I feel the same way about cars. In many of the "flaming confrontations" that have gone on here, folks are getting wound up about .03 seconds difference in 0-60 MPH. I'm sure that on the drag strip, in a crucial race, that .03 is important. But during everyday driving ??? .86G on the skidpad, instead of .88G. Can you really tell the difference on one of those long sweeping turns that the LS loves ??
    Road test data makes for great bench racing sessions, but ultimately the car has to feel good to you as a purchaser. If it does, you can buy it and enjoy it. If it doesn't, you keep looking. That's the beauty of living in a free, capitalistic society.
    Happy motoring to all..........