Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln LS

Comments

• Options
    slowdriverslowdriver Member Posts: 41
    The Turanza Revo's are quietier and get slightly better gas milage. They are a bit softer on the ride, especially helpful to eliminate the every crack in the road jolt.

As I drive in an urban crowded area, I have not tested the tires in tight 90 mph turns, I'll leave that to the experts. They are rated AA for traction, I think the LH's were rated A.
  • Options
    wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    and suggest any LS basher scurry over to News and Views. There are several US vs Import discussions that would love to have him show up.

Time to lighten-up!

wil
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I don't need to convince anyone of anything in order to validate my decision to buy an LS. Driving the car provides all the validation I need.
  • Options
    airwolf1000airwolf1000 Member Posts: 225
    Slowdriver thanks for the report. Unfortunatley firestone said the decision is up to each store manager whether to give a credit. I went to two with no such luck. The second one would sell me the revo's installed and road hazard for $778 with taxes. The Cost per tire would be 147.99 prior to all the install stuff. I think I am going to stick with the LH's. They have served me well.

The LH's are only $69 dollars at the RACK!. I am going to order a set very soon.

Regards,

Airwolf1000
  • Options
    jnowskijnowski Member Posts: 96
    Why not just buy the tire of your choice from Tire Rack and have them installed locally? You get an excellent price, the installation generally costs the same as buying locally, and you can even get a warranty from the installer to boot. I've been doing just that for years.
  • Options
    gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    I too would like to thank Mark for his helpful tips on tranny maintenance and the TSB's... that's why I read these posts!!
  • Options
    thomas_lthomas_l Member Posts: 134
    I think some folks take Internet forums too seriously. I mean REALLY! at the end of the day who cares who said what and with what proof? I agree with Pat - the title is just Lincoln LS. We talk about the car. A newcomer (OK some oldcomers do to) comes in and argues about Brand X and half the participants just can't let it go and voila - flames galore! I follow this forum, a Fiero forum, and one or two others and the same thing happens elsewhere. I honestly think that some folks just need to turn off the tube and go outside for a reality check once in a while. I just like to scroll thru and see what other folks with LS's are chatting about.

I've been participating with this group since last June. I came here because I had some fit/finish issues that dealers weren't addressing and got some help. It's been pretty positive stuff for the most part. At least I don't feel like the Lone Ranger with past issues and can empathize with others. Ad nauseum? Well for some maybe yes. I have had no painful side effects from scrolling past crap I don't want to read for the zillionth time. I am not a big fan of hacking up a late model car for 0.5 horsepower, but I don't get offended if others have at it. They wrote the check and can do what they want. I stay out of those threads.

Pat: you've got a job I would not want to do. You take a post at face value and have to make a decision. Tenure doesn't make anyone "more right" than a newcomer when it comes to choices of words. Like it or not Edmunds owns this server and can do whatever they want. If you can't take a chill pill and ignore a little trolling, put a web server up and start your own forum where you can delete posts with God-like authority. Otherwise get over it. Like some manager from the past once told me,"Yeah this country is a democracy, but that's all outside the door. In here I make the rules." Keep up the good work Pat! Delete this one too if you want, I promise I won't hold a grudge ;-D
  • Options
    I am sorry Jnowski, by the RACK I did mean the TireRack;)
    I am going to get them installed locally.

Regards, Airwolf1000
  • Options
    ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    The event is now listed on the Lincoln Vehicles site under Events. Go to Events in your area and type in your zip code and up it pops!
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I agree.
  • Options
    Edmunds has the August 2001 update available. I think it reflects fairly on what the general consensus of the car is.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longterm/articles/44682/page022.html

• Options
    tmesichtmesich Member Posts: 6
    The latest Motor Trend states in their Cadillac CTS article that the CTS V6 will not stand up to the "uprated V-6s coming from Jag and Lincoln for '03". Does anyone know what they are referring to?

They also say in the mag that the 2002 V6 is 210HP and you can order a Cougar S so I guess you have to take everything they say with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    klarson1klarson1 Member Posts: 60
    Sorry to see you go Mark... however good luck on the new position.... you've been great...

Pat, keep up the good work... I feel you are playing by the rules...

Now my 2 cents.

I have been here since the beginning... I bought my car in sept of 1999... as you all know I have had many problems... some continue... I [non-permissible content removed]... I complain... I boil over and say things I regret...(recent remarks to Brian)

However... I take a deep breath, kick the dog ( not really I love them both), have a beer and realize, after all this is just a forum... a place for anyone and everyone to speak there minds...
    some ...including myself sometimes get carried away.. forget what the place is all about.

The key is to realize when you have gone to far... said the wrong thing... made a personal attack... eat crow and say so... stand up and take the heat... I for one will respect you all the more..

enough said.

Kevin

Who still loves this damn car in spite of all his problems...

Did I mention that the moonroof has started to act up... sometimes not moving until you make multiple attempts at moving the switch....

One last thing.... don't all those ..... really get on your nerves.... I don't know why I do it... I think it has to do with stopping to think before I continue to type.... and I don't want anyone to cut me off before I'm finished.or... I just don't know when to shut up.. <:-) (tilt head to the left and smile)
  • Options
    slunarslunar Member Posts: 479
    riez, if only you had shown up here 18 months ago you would have saved me a lot of money. Instead of getting an inferior LS8 I could have bought a new pair of shoes and spent the next 3 years walking instead of driving as I waited for the far superior G35 to arrive.

tmeish: Been a lot of discussion here about the new V6. Most of the car rag & internet sites have info. which leads one to conclude that there is a new FoMoCo 3.3L, 250 HP, V6 coming around 2003 that will be used in Lincoln, Jaguar and Volvo. However with any future product rumor you never know exactly what will show up until it comes off the end of the production line so take the rumors lightly.
  • Options
    ronniepoohronniepooh Member Posts: 339
    final report on their Long Term LSV8 Sport is over, and they appear to love it overall. They state the V8 engine is good, but they feel the auto tranny is not as efficient as it could be, zaps the 252hp, and they complain about shift response times. They also state that the V8 sounds a lot faster than it really is. But bottom line? In the ratings chart, they give the 3.9 Liter V8 the highest mark. That speaks for itself. They actually rated the engine higher than handling.

Personally, I think Mark did a fine job with the transmission. Kudos, Mark. Good Luck on your next venture
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I think the Ford/Lincoln version of the 3.3 will have 250 hp (30 more than the 3.0 sounds right) but I bet the Jag versions retain the VVT and so should be closer to 260 or 270. I wouldn't expect the Ford/Lincoln and Jags to have the same hp.
  • Options
    scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    Back in the early '50s, Ford came out with an OHV straight six to appeal to buyers who wanted the economy. It was so good that the engineers had to really work to improve the existing V8 so as to maintain a clear performance advantage.

Looks like this will again be necessary. Can't wait to see what develops. (Pardon the drooling.)
  • Options
    jdonneejdonnee Member Posts: 56
    I have a 2000 V8 LS Sport with 25,000 miles and the tires look like they have hardly been used. I keep the pressure at 31 PSI and monitor it closely as well as rotate every six months.

Frankly, I have found them to be a great deal at 80 bucks a tire.
  • Options
    joe166joe166 Member Posts: 401
    I concur completely. I don't know my exact mileage, but it is high 20's or low 30's and my tires look like new. I have not noticed any deficiencies. I am sure there are some, or this tire would be on every car on the street given it's appearance, speed rating and cost, but they have worked fine for me and I will be hard pressed to switch whenever it comes time to. Whoever had a hand in designing this tire did well.
  • Options
    andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    I am interested in ordering a 2002 LS V8 Sport. I want code WF (white Tricoat paint) with the Graphite interior. This color combination was available in 2001, but not in 2002 (both colors are available for 2002, just not in combination). I was wondering if anyone knows someone I can contact at Lincoln and get this color restriction overriden if possible?
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    It's extremely doubtful that Wixom could make an exception for one car. The seats are made by an outside supplier so the old colors are not in production. My 2000 Manual has the white tri-coat and it is gorgeous but very hard to "touch-up" because of the layering of colors. I have the tan color leather and it is a great combination especially in sunny San Diego. Dark colors even in the interior make a car hotter. The fabric and color life is also reduced. And with R-134, your A/C system is not as efficient. I call dark color cars "rolling solar collectors". They also have reduced paint life, show dirt and scratches more.
  • Options
    Hi Guys, Just wanted to let you know I have no complaints with the tire until the storms this past week. I was definitely a little on edge and I was doing about 45-50 mph and I could feel the tires slipping. My car would get pushed by the water. Not exactyly cutting right through it. I was hydroplaning. I was talking to the Firestone guy and he said he thinks I probably got another good 8-10K miles worth of tread on them, but he agreed with the wet season coming up, new tires would do alot better. He said he would be happy to put these tires back on my rims next summer so I can finish them out. My tires look pretty much like new everywhere else, but in the wet they show their age.

Regards,

Airwolf1000
  • Options
    Just wanted to back up stanny's point. I work for an airline company which flies all white airplanes (With the logo in color of course). In any case all of our planes are painted white because it reduces interior cabin temperatures by about 40 degrees Farenheit.

Just though I would add that tidbit.

Regards,

Airwolf1000
  • Options
    Since the current 3L is rated at 210HP (for '02), I would expect the 3.3L to be rated proportionally 10% higher. So a rating of around 230HP seems more realistic unless other enhancements (such as VVT) are added. I also note that manufacturers tend to go for a wider torque band when increasing displacement, rather than peak HP, which tends to give better "driveability". (IMHO) :-)
  • Options
    sawmillsawmill Member Posts: 81
    I didn't know anything about automatic transmissions before you explained the basics.

You make a great teacher -- and an incredible asset to FMC.
  • Options
    I will miss your professionalism, your unique knowledge and the great little E-mails that helped me appreciate that I am a real estate broker and not an engineer. But at Mania 1 and in all those posts, I have learned that it takes a lot of effort and programing to replace my right hand. And after earning the dubious "Coneinator" title in Irvine, I know I need practice in driving an automatic (being the Neanderthal throwback that I must be to drive a Manual).
    Best Wishes in your new assignment. Ford must be workin on something exciting! Thanks again, Mark!
  • Options
    thomas_lthomas_l Member Posts: 134
    I have that exact color combo on my '00 LS. Too bad it's not available anymore.
  • Options
    heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    j:

The current (well, 2002) V6 has been raised to 220 HP. So that would be upped to 242 using the 10% theory.

G-
  • Options
    I have over 39,000 miles on my original LSV6 Sport/Auto, still on the original Firehawks. Ive rotated them twice...I think. I know, I should do better. Regardless, wear is pretty even. I plan to do one more front to back rotation and hopefully squeeze 45,000 miles out of these, then I will put on the next new set of LH's sitting in my closet.
  • Options
    johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    According to the 07/01 2002 LS ordering guide, the graphite interior (code 42) IS available with the white tricoat exterior (code WF) on the Sport. The charcoal (4W) and truffle (4T) interiors are the ones that are no longer available with WF for '02.

I'd agree with Stan; it's probably not possible to get a color combo that's not in the order book. You can probably get special color combinations if you're placing a fleet order, but I'd imagine that that would require a significant volume of cars.
  • Options
    I always thought the truffle with the Autumn Red would be a killer combo. I'm really surprised the truffle was dropped. It's a real common color for car leather. I've seen it with British Racing Green on some brands and it also looks terrific. Does the LS come with anything "tan-like" for 2002 leather?
  • Options
    chartrandchartrand Member Posts: 139
    Airwoolf - I've been doing a bit of hydro planing also considering we got over 10" of rain here in Mansfield in two days. I don't see 8K tire life left on my Firehawks at 22k. What do you plan on replacing them with and from where?
    Mark -
    Was also great to meet you in Irvine. The reflash put a grin back. It's not perfect but a lot better. You must have taken on a new assignment to get back to Alaska for those -40 trials yes?
    See you in Wixxom
  • Options
    johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    The '02 interior colors are the same as '01: Charcoal (4W), light graphite (42), medium parchment (4H), and truffle (4T), plus the tutone light/medium parchment (5G) and graphite/charcoal (5W) that are only available on the premium-package cars. There are no new ones, so parchment is still the closest thing to "tan-like". (I'm personally hoping for a tobacco-red leather, sorta like the "vaquero" color that was available in Mustangs several years back--mid-'70s, I think. I'll probably have a long wait. :))

Truffle availability for '02 has been inexplicably reduced to one exterior color: The new Aspen Green metallic (code P5). Truffle is a sort of gray-green; it looked sharp with the black exterior & used to be available with both whites & both greens as well. I can't understand why they cut it back to one exterior color--it's like they don't even want to TRY to sell it. Guess it's obvious why I don't get paid to be a color consultant, huh?
  • Options
    andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    All interior colors are available, they just reduced the exterior colors you can combine an interior color with. I wanted White (WF) with the Graphite/charcola (5W) interior. Since both are current production colors, I would think putting the 2 together would be no big deal. But, to do this you need to talk to the correct person inside Ford.

Thomas, do you have the Light Graphite (42) or the Graphite/Charcoal (5W) in your vehicle?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Move on folks, and stick to discussing the vehicle.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I attempted to email you, but it was returned as undeliverable - please drop me a line at your earliest convenience: pat@edmunds.com.

Thanks!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    How many miles on your Firehawks? What's your opinion of their resistance to hydroplaning when they were new(er)? Your post concurs with someone over on the LLSOC site who said his did very poorly in snow after the tread was about half gone. Mine still look good at 25k, although I haven't actually measured tread depth. Based on what I've read here, they'll be about 2/3 used up when the snow flies in another couple months. Guess I'll find out. Fortunately, like ronniepooh, my replacement set is ready & waiting.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    That color combo is a special color introduced for the Premium package only. It's not a generally available option. Same for the Light/Medium parchment.
  • Options
    Oops! I stand corrected, 10% more would be around 240HP (plus a couple HP or so) which translates to a healthy 15%+ over the original 210HP.
  • Options
    Stanny1...true, the E46 (new) BMW M3 does generate 330hp (or somewhere around there) out of a 3.2 liter naturally aspirated engine. BUT, the technology in that powerplant is pretty exotic and expensive. In addition to the variable timing on the intake AND the exhaust system(Double VANOS is BMW's version), there are individual throttle bodies for EACH cylinder. Throw in a pretty thorough Bosch Engine Management system for all of that, and top quality parts all around, and youve got a very expensive, exotic engine underhood. Which is why the M3 costs somewhere in the $50,000 price range.

By the way, for anyone interested in BMW's comparison of AWD vs. FWD vs. RWD, check out:

http://www.bmwusa.com/welcome.cfm?code=Home

Then select Rear Wheel Drive from that main menu.

• Options
    markls8markls8 Member Posts: 42
    Your presence is one of the reasons that this board has been so successful. It's been nice to know that when the discussion pertaining to your area of expertise (transmissions) drifts too far from the facts that you have been there to steer things back on course. Without that the ship would be going in circles! Your input has been invaluable. What better source of information could one hope to have than the horse's mouth?
    Best of luck in the future.
    Regards - Brian.
  • Options
    mrankellmrankell Member Posts: 21
    I just picked up my 2001 LS V8. Several minor issues will have to be addressed: moon roof not working, slight rattle in RF door, radio controls not lighting at night. I made an appointment for next week. I am very impressed with the smoothness of the engine. I think the transmission could be a little more aggressive but i am not complaining.

What tire pressure does everybody use. The sticker says 30PSI all around. Has anyone experimented.

regards,

m. rankell
  • Options
    mkovalskmkovalsk Member Posts: 114
    Marty,

What do you mean by "I think the transmission could be a little more aggressive but i am not complaining."

I don't understand what you want.

Mark
  • Options
    I have the Sport Package, and have experimented somewhat with tire pressures. For me, 31psi seems just about right. I travel alone, no luggage, mostly city driving. I ran 33psi all around for a couple of months, but actually felt no improvement in traction or cornering at all. In fact, I think it may have hurt cornering a bit, as I seem to recall hearing tire squeal more easily than at 31psi. There is noticeably less tar strip rumble and thump with 31 vs 33. Tire wear is about the same.

I'd have to say stick with the manufacturers recommendation. However, if you live in the frostbelt, during the winter, adding a few psi can possibly protect your rim against those nasty potholes.
  • Options
    mrankellmrankell Member Posts: 21
    I think the transmission is shifting to quickly to the next gear. i am sure this is because of fuel economy. Also, I noticed that downshifts are not as resposive as i would like.

m. rankell
  • Options
    lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    Ronniepooh,

Thanks for pointing out BMW's discussion and coverage on car performance attributes. I believe the information contained there completely supports and reinforces the discussion that has taken place on this site for well over a year now. To my knowledge, the LS has simply been the only sedan that has embodied ALL of these attributes (other than BMW and perhaps Mercedes) in the US market.

FWD vehicles simply cannot lay a legitimate claim to the "sport sedan" moniker.
  • Options
    tom12253tom12253 Member Posts: 110
    in Your next assignment. I hope it is as exciting for you as working on the LS. Thanks for making all the technical stuff easier to understand. I'm glad that you will still be keeping in touch with us.

Tom
  • Options
    pete100pete100 Member Posts: 3
    I have been experiencing complete overnite battery discharging. The dealer is stumped as they've been unable to recreate the failure mode and therefore have an undiagnosable fault. In the meantime the car sits in the dealer's lot as the only advice FORD technical service can offer is to keep the car until it fails again. Yes, believe it.....it's true.
    If anyone has experienced this same fault can you help this desperate and very disappointed owner. I am about ready to demand a replacement vehicle as so far the car has spent more than 10% of it's short 4 month life sitting in the dealer's garage!!
  • Options
    Pete,

Stupid question, but has the dealer replaced the battery as part of their test or checked the ground circuit out?
  • Options
    pete100pete100 Member Posts: 3
    The dealer claims the battery checks out OK. However, after the most recent failure (which for the secong time occured in the middle of a long holiday weekend!) I put my own 10 amp charger on the battery and it would draw no more than 1.5 amps. That didn't seem right to me as the battery was completely dead. The dealer offered to replace the battery with the caveat that it would almost certainly not correct the problem which they seem intent on doing. Their great intentions unfortunately have done nothing to rectify what I fear will be a never ending electrical nightmare.