Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    is on the Club's FAQ page: http://www.300mclub.org/faq.htm
  • Options
    The first two photos didn't bowl me over, but the one from the rear - WOW! That's beautiful!
  • Options
    tucsongiltucsongil Member Posts: 116
    I love NASCAR. I have now turned into a Jeff Gordon from being a Mark Martin and Jeff Burton fan. My wife has alway been a Gordon fan.

I always felt that the only reason that Goodyear was the only tire competeing was because of money. If Bridgstone went there GY would get it's butt kicked!

Several years back Hoosier tires was giving GY a run for their money. Hoosier tires must have run out of money to compete since they are no longer there! I can only wonder why!
  • Options
    toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    Gee, that "2002 Concorde" sure looks a lot like my 99LHS!!
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Put a 300M body on a Viper drive train.
  • Options
    Mikey my friend. Looks like my wife(I call my wife our "entertainment director")is flying us into LAX. Southwest has a $39 deal each way. So I will not be driveing into San Diego. I wished I could have met you. I think you and I would have hit it off! You seem like me, just a kid at heart.

The new Viper is sweet. I love it!

Did you notice a differance with the new Bosch plugs? Was it worth the switch?
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    console today. I put in the 28,000 lum LED's, boy, are they bright. I now have to wear sunglasse to look at my center console. A word of warning though do not play around with the shifter while the engine is running. My car almost went through the wall. stopped it with a 1/4" to spare. So I almost had my accident encounter. Hopefully tomorrow I can wire up my new switches for aux lighting, rear power outlets, fans and center console power outlets. Two more days and I should have my new tires and rear wing/LED's can't wait. Next week new hood scoop should arrive.
  • Options
    guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    did you get that basslink installed? how bout those 20's?
  • Options
    guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    just between me and you i'm a Gordon fan too :) but i have to be loyal to awsome bill from dawsonville, ga too.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I'm 40 going on 19. :)

My car felt peppier after the plugs, but I'm not sure if that was just psychological or real. It's part of the puzzle that makes me quite a bit faster than a stock M. ;)
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Hey, have been closely checking out changes for 2002. First to answer beach ,yes the Chrysler stickers on the front doors is gone. Guess DC has been reading what you guys have been doing to your cars.The Chrysler sticker is still on the trunk ,guess they didn't want to go all the way. One big thing I overlooked is the new (ok changed ) front grill on the M .They have put the winged victory badge at the top of the center grill opening (just like the Special ) . Speaking of the Special ,I have seen two different pictures of the rims they might use for this car, one pic is just like the show car had and another has curved spokes , wonder what one they are going to use. ??? The tire pressure monitor option displays each tire pressure on the overhead center console. Each wheel has a transmitter built into the valve stem and sends the signal to the overhead console. Each sensor has a non-replaceable battery in it,so after X years when they die you have to buy a whole new unit for 5 rims . Hey guesswho1 ,yes two 3.5 motors . The 300, Intrepid R/T and Concorde Limited get the H.O version ,everything else gets the low output . I still have no H.P numbers on them ,but I am checking. You can tell the two apart by looking for the manifold tuning valve on the air plenum, the low output does not have this valve. Not sure if anything else has been changed to drop the H.P .Maybe some different software for the engine controller ???
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Does Having the Tire pressure monitor on the factory rims mean we cannot put different rims on with out loosing the function of the system??
  • Options
    Well, I think the leak is coming fom the windshield. I really didn't think it was. Still maybe wrong. I did have it replaced due to a big rock chip last summer. It's hard for me to test, because water restrictions prevent me from doing a good test.($200 fine on the spot) I'll try at 6:30am sunday morning......gee what fun :))
  • Options
    rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    We have just added a Classified Ads page to the Members Only area. Members can place "For Sale" ads (including a digitized pic). Listed items must be car-related (e.g. you can't sell a refrigerator with a 300M poster on the front).

We will also be adding a link to the home page so that anyone can view the ads and communicate directly with the seller by e-mail to ask questions and/or complete the sale transaction.

If you want to include a pic with your listing, please send it in .jpg format as instructed on the Classified Ads submission page.

Please remember that the Club is administered by volunteers, so your ad submission might not be posted as quickly as one you submitted to your local newspaper. Please also read the disclaimer on the "Classifieds" page before submitting a listing.

Yours 300Mly,

Roger Waters, President
    Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I don't know if it's just me, but what the heck is Chrysler been thinking lately. They're on the right track with the tire pressure monitor which I'd love to have on our 2000, but why is then going to be so expensive when the battery dies? As for the letter removal on the doors, it doesn't really make a difference, just a little cleaner look to some. But then, WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE GRILL!!!! To some, this may seem like a tiny detail on such a beautiful car, but it actually screws up the whole front end! If you look at it now, it's mean, it's aggressive, and it just looks cool. But with the moved wing, it just looks like something is screwed up. To see what I mean, go here to see the 2002 Special and it's grill:
    2002 300M Grill
  • Options
    I don't like it either. Gives the car a goofy "smirk". But that's just OUR opinions. Others may love the change. Another good reason to keep Big Red
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Hey-I want to apologize for what I was thinking when I read the early posts about removing the fender badges and replacing with the Euro side marker lights. Having seen all of the great pics, I have "seen the light". :>)

I noticed since the temps are nearing triple digits, my car seems to have lost a little zip on 87 octane. Must be the superheated inlet air.

BassLink-shipped last Friday; hope to install this Saturday, but shops want to see the manual and wiring diagram before even quoting the install. When pushed for a ballpark price, everyone of them said "$100". I must look like an easy mark. Anyone have any new location advice beyond what was previously posted? Thanks,
    Silver
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    No the pressure sensor/transmitter fits in the hole the valve stem uses ,so if you change rims then all you would have to do is install this part in the new rims.
  • Options
    sugar300msugar300m Member Posts: 61
    Question for yall (esp. yous with children/car seats) - is there a way to lock the rear seats in their upright position? If you've got something heavy in the trunk, won't it push down the seat if you stop short?
  • Options
    toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    GuessWho - Yep, got my Basslink installed! I'm still playing around with the location, orientation and the controls to get the "perfect" setting. (With my LHS I have a bit more trunk room to play with!)

SilverBullet- Don't pay anyone $100 or even $50 to install. Man, I'm all thumbs lately but this was an easy install. All you need is 20 feet of 10 ga or 8 ga wire and you are all set. If you want specific, step-by-step instructions, let me know. (Oh yeah, if you use the speaker level inputs, you don't even have to use the remote turn on lead. The unit "senses" the speaker level input and turns the amp on automatically. Just realize that it also takes about 10 minutes to turn off after you stop the car.....Some others here who went to a "Pro" shop. The shop couldn't figure this out and installed a separate turn-off relay!!!)
  • Options
    I really don't see why you think the seats would fall down or anything with something in the trunk. If you happened to notice, when you do put the seats down, you have to pull on the small strap that releases the latch behind. It's a rather strong lock & latch and doesn't appear to be something that would just unlock and let the seat fall by itself. Just my $.02
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    are not very substantial. I'm sure a heavy object could go barreling through if you smack into something, especially so the higher its center of mass is.
  • Options
    Many times I have braked hard, or stopped short, & have had the rear seats backs come down. Many times! And that's with nothing in the trunk! My solution was some velcro strips. Now it stays! It was either that or the almighty duct tape :)
  • Options
    Well, maybe I was wrong about the seatbacks & the latches but ours have never come down, even with stuff in the trunk. They must not be all that substantial.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. As I posted a while ago, I want a professional installation by a top shop. Certainly I could go to WalMart and get the splicing connectors and run a power wire, but I don't have the time to run around and get the right connectors, electric drill, etc. I am "running around with my hair on fire" with my new sales job. It would be fun and even therapeutic to do it myself, but not a wise use of my time. Maybe someday (after I make Club) I can revisit my hobbies.
    Happy MMotoring.
  • Options
    avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    mine have some heavy amps on'em, but they never have came down on me. theres a latch mechanism in yours right?
  • Options
    pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    I had a very heavy suitcase in my trunk and had to stop rather quickly. I heard a loud thump from the case hitting the seatback, but they stayed upright.

As for the new grille - I like the one on my 99 lots better.
  • Options
    Thanks for those responses. I have the latch mechanism but as others said, it's not very strong. I had a loaded cooler & other stuff in back & had to stop short. Drivers seat came down & the cooler poked through. Not a huge concern for me (i'll try the velco Fuzzy, thanks),but if I had a child seat....I guess i'd be more cautious.
  • Options
    To all who had one, very sry to hear, glad yous are OK & hope your M's get better quick. in the past week, I picked up another door ding (#2) & someone that doesn't like my SO at work took a pocket knife to the passenger front panel, along the hood & cut into the full bra all the way down the front fascia. Most of it came out but the sob did get down to the paint on the panel. Something similar happend to another M (Silver?) & the poster said well its just a car, & it is but I'm still heated.
  • Options
    Sounds great Av! Do you do duals?
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sdmike-

That Viper is ok, but your car LOOKS better! The Viper grill looks like the Dodge Ram truck! Besides, how practical is a Viper for everyday driving? I guess if you had a lot of money you could just drive it on weekends and keep it garaged during the week. I still wouldn't trade it for yours.

As for the seatbacks- doesn't anyone remember the complaint that someone submitted to NHTSA about the bowling ball that came flying from a guy's trunk into his 300M? It's probably still there. I suppose you could test the seats by getting in the trunk and giving them a good bang to see if they flop down? For the record, Christine's never flopped down.

fastdriver
  • Options
    I just went out and tugged quite firmly on both sides of my rear seat backs, and neither came loose. Only pulling on the pull tabs at the outboard corners released them. I then looked into the slot of the latch at the corner of the seat back, and it looks like the pull tab retracts a spring-activated pin that, when the seat is pushed back and the pull tab is released, goes into a slot or hole in the stationary metal bracket behind the seat, which fits into the slot. Maybe I could have broken this latch if I had pulled with all my might, but it felt pretty substantial to me. Fuzzy, if your seat backs fall forward often under hard braking, I gotta think that either: (a) your car is an earlier model and DC improved the latch between yours and my '00; or (b) your latches are broken, misaligned, or there is something stuck in there preventing the pin from moving into the latched position.
  • Options
    drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Howdy from drpixel, buddy! I've been using shutterfly.com, where I've been putting up pix of my daughters NEW Jetta GLS. Here's the link:

http://www.shutterfly.com/view/shared.jsp?i=67b0de21b31536940524

See youse in the chatroom tonight?

Boy, don't check the edmunds board for a day and 384 messages!

the Doctor of Pixology,MS-certified in Nuclear-powered mice....

• Options
    drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    You can put those snazzy 'borders around your pix, too.....not bad for FREE!

Doc
  • Options
    Mines a 00. It's been like that since day 1. It's fixed my way now, so it isn't a concern anymore.
  • Options
    Man that's messed up. I hope you find that person. Better yet find the car they drive. Take some super glue & squeeze it into his door locks. Then glue their wipers to the windshield, & then if there's enough left over glue their gas door. Yet more uses for super glue :)
  • Options
    I was trying 'to be the bigger person' & just let it go. She's certain she knows who it is. This car looks so good that any little imperfection makes me cringe. That glue idea is great! Not that I would do it but....
  • Options
    Yeah I know just a suggestion :)
  • Options
    no we don;t do duals, no exhaust work, u just gave me an idea tho...;)
  • Options
    Stay tuned! :)

-M
  • Options
    MikeyJohn, I removed my CHRYSLER door lettering one week after I recieved my "M". I looked at other cars and 99% of the cars(Lexus, BMW, ect..) do not have this type of lettering/tag that IMHO looks chessy. Only DC vehicles have this tagging but the Dodge ones do not look as bad since the total lettering amount is smaller.

Two reasons to remove this lettering:

1) The 300M bagdeing is the only tag needed on the side. It looks cleaner that way! I love it and I guess DC see it this way too since there is no tag on the 2002 "M"s.

2) Easyer to Zanio and wash sides with the tag removed. Nothing but smooth paint there! Sweet!

Heat up your letters with a blow dryer and peel them off. Then Zanio ASAP. Very easy!
  • Options
    stevenw300stevenw300 Member Posts: 90
    Couldn't agree with you more about the front grill. What is Chrysler thinking? More likely that they are not thinking at all.
  • Options
    stevenw300stevenw300 Member Posts: 90
    Glad to hear it.
  • Options
    Sorry they got you too. I have worked on my hood scratches with Z-5. It helped some. Regarding the seatbacks, mine seem to latch well enough to require a firm pull on the release straps. I have visions of my 50 pound Plano Guide Elite tackle box bursting into the passenger compartment. Yikes! I better use the bag net for heavy stuff restraint.
    Silver
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    You're right, it is time to remove those Chrysler letters, especially now that DC is leaving them off the 02's
  • Options
    Tugging at the seat from the front and kicking it from behind are not at all adequate tests for testing how well they might hold up in an accident with stuff in the trunk -- they do not compare to the force of even a relatively light object suddenly propelled forward (relative) during an accident.

I am reminded of a movie where a woman and baby were in a plane during a crash. The woman was holding on to her baby with all her might to no avail. She blamed herself until the end of the movie when a man had her hold onto a watermelon in a car as tight as she could as he smacked it into something resulting in a much lesser deceleration than the plane accident. Watermelon guts everywhere.

I would imagine that a properly secured child seat would help a lot to keep the car seat from opening in an accident, though.

Mind you, I'm talking accidents here, not fast stops.
  • Options
    Don't expect it to stop anything in even a fast stop. I had something heavy in mine and just from normal driving it snapped one of the four plastic clips (I was able to snap it back together) and released whatever it was into the trunk.
  • Options
    yah, I just had a mental picture of the net in action.
    Bowling ball in the net
    Hit something with the front end.
    Net stretches out about three feet and then-
    slingshots the bowling ball into the trunk lid.
    LOL.
  • Options
    10:00 eastern time folks.....

www.300mclub.org
    just click CHAT!

i don't know even know why i'm so pumped about it, my 300's sittin in the shop :(
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    In 85,000 miles with 2 Ms I never had a rear seat back latch fail.
    However...be advised that it takes a firm push to properly engage the latches. If they are not firmly engaged, I can easily visualize a partially engaged latch opening on moderate impact.