Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    This is embarrassing. My male ego has red all over it. I'm not sure WHAT my tire pressure is -- they've looked and driven fine ever since my installer installed them, so I haven't bothered to check! And they're wearing fine after 6,500 miles. Tell you what though, you've raised (or is that "razed?") my curiosity, and today I'll check and let you know what my tire pressure is.

Meade
  • Options
    In that article two posts ago where the Protege won a Canadian comparo, is the pic of the Protege the one they used in the test? It looks like the 1999-2000 model, at least here in the states. Did the Canadian models not get the new front fascia and five-lug wheels, or did that magazine use a stock photo of a two-year-old model? Seems weird that they would!

Meade
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    It is probably just some stock photo they got in their press kit.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    if you read that article, it's still talking about the 1.8L engine from the 99-00 ES!!!!!

Is that article 2 year old or something?????
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
  • Options
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Since we're talking about the SP Sport A2s, I keep 34psi in mine. I started at 32psi, as listed on the door jamb, but pumped it up (pun intended) a little. It's about as stiff as I like it over the potholes and train tracks around here.
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    it's funny, I also keep my Dunlop P195/50R16 83V at 34-35psi.
  • Options
    gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    For the feedback on the Dunlop psi. I've had them as high as 38 and that felt a little "floaty" at very high speeds. I've taken them down to 36psi and i like the ride that gives. I'll try them out at 35psi and see if i notice a difference.

That article on the Canadian Protege is from the 2000 model year. The Canadian protege did in fact receive the new logo and grilling etc. all in the 2001 model year.
  • Options
    Shame on you!!!! :)
  • Options
    Now you just stop that right now, Tim. You're so ... incorrigible.

Meade
  • Options
    stop using, like, polysyllabic words....i get easily confussssed i tell ya. Please talk slow for us Canucks, eh.
  • Options
    Cut it out, hosehead! Get your touque back on and fry me up some backbacon on that Coleman, eh?

Meade McKenzie
  • Options
    When I type in "protege" and hit "search" now, I suddenly am getting matches in everything from VW Jetta to Honda Odyssey -- and no matches to things like the owners' clubs, even though those clubs are still there if I go and look for them! What's the deal? This is a brand-new fluke today -- yesterday it was the same old search tool. I notice the search thing now says "Search Town Hall by Keyword" -- is that a change? Is it now looking for ANY use of the word "Protege" in ANY topic?

Meade
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    When you search by keyword, it does search everything. That's the way our software is that my company markets.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Use the "Search the Town Hall by vehicle" choice above the Keyword Search. That will do what you want it to do.

Other questions should probably go to the Software discussion in News & Views.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    these were taken back in May I believe. Look at the Protege's suspension WORK! :O

(for those that don't know why the heck those cones are there for, these are from an autocross event that I participated with my Protege :D)
  • Options
    Like, cut it out, eh?! No reason to yell and get your toque in a knot and all, hosehead. Here, have another brewskie. To, do, do, doo, doo, doo, doo......

So, did you check your tires yet, eh?
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >>>>You're so ... incorrigible. <<<<

where's the porridge?
  • Options
    Nice pics! Knocking over cones again... ;)
    J/k!!!! I know they're to indicate direction!!! At least you're going the right way!!! :D
  • Options
    Or is that "dirigible?"

Anyway, a few things:

Tim, I have not been out to check my tires yet. I'll do that when I have to return to the deck to take Zoomster home from work today. So you'll have to sit on pins and needles (you, not your car, lol) until tomorrow. And I may try adding a couple of pounds (to my tires, not me, lol) if I find mine at 32 so I can judge the difference on the way in to work tomorrow morning.

Cool pics Hank. But an even better example can be found in the pic I took of you ahead of me on that curve on Skyline Drive after MAPP III. It's posted in the files section at the group. If you can find a way to link the photo here, please use it!

Meade
  • Options
    Okay, Meade, i'll wait with baited breath. Not a good thing since I was fishing a lot during my vacation. :)

If your tires are at 32psi, i think you'll notice a dramatic difference in ride stiffness and better handling at 35 or 36psi. I found the Dunlops slid on the sidewalls a little at 32psi during tight cornering.

Let me know what ya think.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    You were pushing pretty hard there to make it lean like that. :)

And after I put 34 psi in my Dunlops, they tend to chirp a little more in high-G turns and roll over a little less. Not much of an issue, just an occasional chirp to let me know they're there.
  • Options
    Makes me think of a post I read in another car forum here in TH...they were saying how much fun they thought it was when their rear tire lifted when they took a corner hard....
    Buwhahahaahaahahahahahaahahahaah :D
  • Options
    A trait of your gf's car, if pushed hard enough, from what I have read.
  • Options
    Suzuki Samurai!!!

Meade
  • Options
    A trait of your car's too according to some in your car's forum...

BTW, I've never had my gf's car's wheels come off the ground...although just today her car stopped going into 5th gear... :O
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    That Canadian "World of Wheels" web site prominently displayed "July 2002" on top each of their web pages, so I thought the material was current. Sorry.

Apparently their road tests were of the 2000 Mazda Protege LX and the 2001 Mazda Protege5. Nice favorable write-ups in any case.
  • Options
    Now, now. My first vehicle was a 1987 Samurai, and I have to say that it's chassis was stiff enough that when one wheel lifted, so did the other on that side.

Seriously though, I hope my Protege is as reliable as that Samurai was. I put over 100,000 miles on it. I had to replace only the tires (at 60,000, due to dry rot no less!), battery (they used motorcycle batteries in them!), oil (good thing to change every so often!), and the radio (kept getting stolen until I got one of the removable types!). The worst gas mileage I ever got was 35. Even with the 10 gallon gas tank, I only had to fill up every 2 weeks during normal driving. It also had a 33 foot turning radius and 4WD. There weren't too many places it couldn't go easily. It was great vehicle if you didn't mind it rolling in directions it wasn't meant to.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I was once an owner of several three wheel cornering cars. I freaked many friends out but being that they were always behind me to see it must mean that it really didn't matter much. If I worked the hand brake just right, I could get the wheel to stop completely on a wide 60mph turn (do not try this at home). Too bad those cars have only grown heavier and less responsive.
  • Options
    :O
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    For those so equipped: how many miles did you get [expect to get] from the Dunlop 5000 tires?
  • Options
    So far, I have 16,000. I have about 3/32 left on the front and 4/32 left on the back. I am going to rotate them next week, so I can hopefully get to 20,000. The ZoomZoom magazine I just got said to replace tires at 3/32, but all of the tire manufactures say you can wait until 2/32 of tread remains. I do a mix of 50/50 city/highway driving. I may drive a little hard, but not enough to cause this kind of tire wear.
  • Options
    My 2001 Protege came with those tires, and they didn't show hardly any wear when I traded the car in at 20,000 miles (mostly highway).
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    in their very own Protege?

I did recently.

WOW!

My immediate feeling:-
    1. Thrill Aspect:
    =================
    I was reminded of the drive as a pillion rider on a Yamaha motorcyle(the sporty kind, not like a harley davidson cruiser)

2. Comfort:
    ===========
    Nice and cozy without feeling cramped or boxed in.
    Thanks to the greenhouse that Mazda created by placing the right amount of glass everywhere.

3. Noise:
    =========
    Just the noise of the tires running on the tarmac(not roaring). compare it to my friends Accord EX-V6. Thanks to the BFG tires AND the $12 asphalt rubber sheets lining the trunk.
  • Options
    Rubber mats in the trunk lining, eh? How thick is the rubber? Where did you get it? It sounds like a quick and easy noise reducer!
  • Options
    Best be careful how you um, phrase those opening lines. Well, at least around some.

To your question of, "Has anyone ever taken a back seat ride...in their Protege."

I will plead the 5th. :)
  • Options
    Oh my....if the conversation turns to leather and optional, um, equipment, i'm outta here.

Meade,

Any update on the Dunlop psi. My breath is badly baited now.
  • Options
    Wow, and since my Dunlops got an out-of-10 rating for road noise of 8.2 compared to your BFG's 7.7, just imagine how quiet my back seat is -- without having to pave the trunk!!!

Ever so fondly,

Meade

P.S. to my friend Tim ... I had to dash by my propane supplier yesterday to pick up a new tank and a fresh 20 lbs. of propane before they closed so I could grill my killer spare ribs last night (takes 90 minutes on the Weber, AR AR AR) -- didn't have time to check. And Sean decided he needed a midnight snack at 3:50 this morning, so needless to say I overslept and didn't have time to check before leaving for work ... so I guess I'll just have to torment you and keep you in suspense. More to come ...
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Has anybody seen a list of MazdaSpeed dealers anywhere?

Just in case one of our smar tallecs responds ;-) :
    Care to share where? TIA
  • Options
    We don't have the 5th up here.... :D
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Aha! That's what happened to your GF's 5th.
  • Options
    you ship me some of those killer spare ribs. :) I love a good rack of ribs. My uncle makes great ribs. He smokes them first for a little while and then brushes the ribs with fresh garlic and olve oil and some other spices and cooks them nice and slow in the BBQ. Delicious. Mouth watering.

Oh yeah, the wife's Pro had her 48,000km service last week during my vacation. All is perfect. Bless the Protege God's.

Oddly though, still no notice of an ignition coil recall here in Canada. Wonder what's up with that....
  • Options
    Meade
  • Options
    Mike, i was talking about taking my fifth beer, eh. What's an amendment after all that can't be amended later. :)
  • Options
    LOL!! :D

I'm not mad yet, but if her car costs us getting a deck this year I will be steamed!! :O
  • Options
    You could always trade her car and talk her into buying a Protege, so you can be the third "Protege couple" of the room. :)
  • Options
    All this talk about liquor is making me want a daiquiri now. :) I might just have to take a long lunch from work and go get one like I did last time. :)
  • Options
    As much as I'd really love to do that, it's definitely not in the budget :(
  • Options
    I put one on the house in May -- $3,000 -- and did it the American Way! (Which I'm sure is similar to the Canadian Way!)

Meade