Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    Mazdany,

I use Castrol Syntec 5W-50 with a standard OEM Protege Oil Filter.
    The OEM filter was designed for the Pro engine. I know of a few people who use aftermarket and larger oil filters such as for the V6 Mazda engine.

My view on this is that you sacrifice optimal oil pressure through the system and also the total amount of lubrication since additional oil is cycling and resting in the larger filter. This is especially predominant during cold start-up. The Protege only requires 3.4 or 3.6L of oil in the first place so I'd like all of that to be put to use. I trust the Mazda engineer's.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    Whoooo.....
    That is a BIG statement.
  • Options
    Not really, the Mazda engineer's know a great deal more about engines, ideal oil pressures and capacities, compression ratio's et all. than any of us folk here on this site. There is a distinct reason why the Protege oil filter is the design and size that it is. It's not a random choice.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I, for one, agree wholeheartedly!

Meade
  • Options
    Mornin' hosehead. How ya likin' the 33psi?
    How come it's so quiet in here????
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Not so loud...Just got to work and I'm still sleepy!

I'm taking the Pro down to Kelowna again...about 630 km or so from Calgary. Nice and twisty roads in through BC (ie. Kicking Horse Pass, etc) :D
  • Options
    justdriftingjustdrifting Member Posts: 18
    Hello,

I keep my tire pressure at 32psi, since that's what the door recommends. I have Michelin Pilot Exaltos on the front and the Potenzas that shipped with the car on the back. Don't you worry about the tires blowing out on you?

What do you recommend and why?

I do most of my driving (2000 ES) in the I-95/495 highways around 75-85mph, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I follow the manufacturer's spec of 32 psi.
  • Options
    Yeah, I live in Woodbridge and work in Falls Church :)
  • Options
    I'm down south of you in Richmond. But my brother lives in Herndon, and since I'm a ham radio operator, I'm frequently up in Woodbridge at Ham Radio Outlet! Let's get together sometime!

Regarding air pressure, Tim (who has the same new tires as me, Dunlop SP Sport A2s) read the sidewall and saw that their maximum inflation rating is rather high for a passenger car tire -- 44 psi. I checked all four of mine and they were a little low -- in the 30-31 psi range -- so I went ahead and set them all at 33. The tires perform noticeably better now, even with a change of only 2 psi.

Meade
  • Options
    ... and I think there are enough people here interested in the latest news from Mazda that this can be considered of general interest. I've also posted it on the Mazda6 discussion where it really belongs.

Guess what was in my morning paper this morning? A nice article on the U.S. Mazda6, including such info as its base price, timing of introduction, and confirmation of all styles (sedan, hatch & wagon) coming to the states. Also a tidbit about the RX-8 arriving here early next year.

I scanned the article. You need Acrobat Reader to open it. You can find it here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazdaprotege/files/mazda6.pdf

Meade

P.S. I actually called my newspaper (yes, I did) and obtained permission to scan the article.

• Options
    Hello there. The 32psi recommended for the Protege is for the OEM tires that come with the car. If you change tires, the min. and max. psi ratings and feel, handling characteristics etc., of the new tires may be drastically different. Personal driving style also equates as to whether you choose to increase or lower the tire psi a few notches either way.

For instance, the Dunlop Sport AP tires that are now on my wife's Pro and also on Meade's car and a few others, have a maximum psi rating of 44psi and a recommended psi of 34 or 35 i believe. When I first put them on the car, i tried them at the recommended Protege 32psi, but to me at least, the tires felt under inflated. Both my wife and I enjoy throwing the Protege around and pushing it safely within it's handling limits. At 32psi, we felt the tires were rolling over on the sidewalls too much for our liking and that overall handling was sacrificed. So, we have progressively increased the psi to see how the handling and ride dynamics changed. We are most satisfied with the tires and handling/ride characteristics at 34 or 35psi.

To try and address your question, the increase in tire pressure provides a stiffer ride. For handling, the sidewalls are now firmer, so there is less roll and the car handles corners much sharper with more responsiveness. Since the Dunlop tires are H speed rated to 220km/h and have a maximum psi of 44, you could safely inflate your tires to about 38psi without having to worry about overinflation or tire blowout. In fact, it is more dangerous to underinfate the tires, as this greatly increases the chances of tire blowout. Having them overinflated generally just causes increased tire wear unless they are drastically over inflated.

I am very surprised to hear that you have 2 different types of tires on your car. I am surprised that the dealer or tire shop did not caution you on this. Typically it is not recommended at all and would "generally" inhibit overall ride and handling becasue of the different rubber characteristics, tread, speed ratings, profiles etc.... of the two tire types. If you are happy with mixing your tires, then it is up to you, but it is typically considered a safety risk.

Hope this answers your questions. Let me know.
  • Options
    My guess is he's mixing tires because those overpriced Michelins are so damned expensive, he can only afford two at a time!

Meade

P.S. Saw another corny "Because so much is riding on your tires" Michelin commercial last night. Shows the customary from-behind shot of the Space Shuttle landing (btw, thank you Canada for the arm), and includes the voice-over, "Michelin. The sole supplier of tires for the Space Shuttle." I can just hear it now. "Hello TireRack? I need six 895/60-ZZZR48s. And an installer near Cape Canaveral."

P.P.S. Know why you're paying through the nose for Michelins? (A) Because their high-dollar ad campaigns have convinced you somehow that only they know how to mold a piece of rubber and steel, and (B) Someone has to pay for those slick ads that air on most networks and cable channels at least once a half-hour, and sponsor the Weather Channel too!
  • Options
    tires, IMO, is a bad idea, but much worse when you start mixing winters with all-seasons! That's a disaster waiting to happen! :O

BTW...Malt, add another insult to Meade here...3rd time's the charm!
  • Options
    I just had to upload it to you-know-where to prove a point on another discussion. But I'm so proud of Zoomster -- after 27 months he still makes my blood stir when I look at him -- I just have to share this family photo. I can see me as a grandpa one day -- I'll have the bumper sticker, "Let me tell you about my car!!!"

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazdaprotege/files/Zoomster.jpg

Meade

• Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    THE POORTENZAS ARE GONE!!!!

Yes you heard it rite. As of 10.20 this morning, the PRO rides on 195/60/R15 Yokohama AVID Touring (you know, the type of tire that has this thing called "thread").

First impressions: Just drove it on city streets and so far no apparent loss on handling as I was expecting, and a tad smoother over rough pavement (barely noticeable).

For $510 (15% taxes incl.):

* 4 AVID Touring
    * 4 tires balanced
    * allignement on all wheels
    * free rotations every 10.000 KMs

Got it from Tiredepot (info for Tim).

Dinu
  • Options
  • Options
    is not Michelin but BFGoodrich.
    Michelin laid claim to that title as it acquired BFgoodrich tire division from the BFgoodrich corporation.
  • Options
    By the way chikoo, that link doesn't work either.

Meade
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Crutchfield (and a couple of other 'configurable' 'chooser-enabled' websites) insist that only some 6x9 speakers will fit in my 95 Pro. There are numerous cheaper and rather good speakers available online, and I don't know what would prevent those from fitting too.

As far as I can tell - the following parameters may matter - did I get them right?
    1. Installation depth (measured from speaker rim to bottom of magnet?)
    2. Protrusion depth (height) (measured above speaker rim? height the tweeter/s and HF drivers protrude above the rim?)
    3. Magnet size - usually listed in terms of weight (10 oz all the way to 44 oz for some audiobahns - can't even afford those!). Is this likely to matter? I believe the speakers are bottom mounting, so the magnet size shouldn't make a diff!

Also, same point goes for speaker depth. As for protrusion into deck above, I could do away with the factory grills attached to the rear deck felt, and just screw on the speaker grills (most speakers come with them) from above, right?

So why would crutchfield list around 40 6x9 speakers, and say only their most expensive 6 will fit? And - can I go ahead and buy any 6x9 speakers (that I like and can afford) and put them in there?

Oh, and I'm not afraid of rewiring or soldering, etc, so if that's the only issue (available mounting kits/plugs) then I couldn't care less!
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Is this from crutchfield's online search, or from calling them. If it's from the online tool, try calling them and ask one of their installation experts what is up. They are, in my experience, generally pretty knowledgeable with respect to speaker installs.
  • Options
    One of my tires got a nail in it for the second time, so I needed to replace it. It was recommended that I at least replace two of them, so I bought the Michelin's, which cost me a boatload. It was those or something called Kumo's (I think from Korea?).

Anyway, they're rated the same as the Potenzas that shipped and I'll probably get a couple more if I can afford them; perhaps I could roll it in when I refinance or something :)

You still think I'm living on the edge, even with the same rated tires?
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Not such a biggie, provided they're relatively similar tires.

They will have different performance characteristics, noise levels etc, but after all - its just rubber. And we all know it isn't the most important thing (yeah, let the double entendres flow).

Keep the better pair in front, in FWD cars - that's usually a good idea. If the rear tires aren't badly worn, leave them on. I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion by tire shops that would rather sell 4 tires (they buy them in 4's, after all) than pairs!

My 95DX has two good Michelin X-Ones on the front, and two Cooper tires in the back. Both have A and B temperature and traction ratings, respectively, and are all season tires. The M's have a tread-wear of 580 or 600, and the Coopers are 240 or 340, and are wearing faster now. I tried rotating them once (Coopers to front) and the difference was amazing - those things are louder and squeal much easier on turns - but handle about the same. So I keep the Michelins in front, and have done just fine for over 2 years and 23K miles, including a big honkin' cross country road trip (big honkin' seems to be the phrase of the day on the Edmunds elementary school playground! What say wordboy?)
  • Options
    are squealing like piggys of late. Tread depth looks good still, but when I take some hard corners now, you can really hear 'em.

The only thing I'd be concerned about with the different tires are the wear on them, even if they are rated the same. I agree with Ashu...keep the better ones up front. But what do you do when it comes time to rotate them??
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I don't know what a Vocus stick is (maybe I don't want to know), but it sounds funny.

I've noticed not many people have commented on the Mazdaspeed Protege article in Car and Driver. They liked it, but some thought it was a little hard edged, with too much torque steer and a stiff ride. I like what Larry Webster had to say about that: "But if you want genteel manners, get the decaf version. This one's meant for the few who want the *most performance and tightest handling $20K can buy*" I also like this quote from Csaba Csere: "In the hot compact class, this Protege charts it's own course, and it's the better for it." I noticed that it's only pushing 6.9 lbs of boost. I wonder if the engine could withstand Mitsubishi levels of boost and still survive? I also noticed this: "chain-driven double overhead cams" Was that a typo? I want a timing chain.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    since I can't seem to get your attention any other way, I'm removing a number of posts that are not even remotely connected to the subject of this discussion.

Folks, please -- there is a perfect place in the Protege Owners Club for the very fun and entertaining chit-chat you like to engage in, but it is not this discussion. You are already familiar with Protege Posse and in fact some of you were posting there when it was first established (despite the "surprise" some of you recently expressed that it even exists! ;-)).

You are very welcome to take this kind of friendly off-topic conversation there. That is its purpose.

On the other hand, the purpose of *this* discussion is to have a place where specifically Protege related conversation can take place. Please understand that the handful of you who go off on unrelated tangents are in no way the only ones who read and attempt to benefit from the information here. Your tangents very often intimidate and drive away folks who really are looking for Protege information.

I hope I'm making sense - I do understand how easy it is to get caught up in these fun side conversations, but please remember that the Town Hall has provided you with a great (and appropriate!) place for it, and please help me to keep this discussion on track.

As always, drop me an email if I can help in any way or make more sense about any of this if need be. :)

Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host

(and no, this is not happening because of the nun comment which was very funny!! It just does not belong here. ;-))
  • Options
    OK, so who needs some PRO-only info?

Dinu
  • Options
    kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    Has anyone had there Pro rust-proofed? The other Pro in my family had an after-market module installed by the dealer which "charges" the metal to prevent rusting from ocurring. After three Canadian winters the car still looks great compared to others the same age and model. Has anyone heard of this module or know where I can find some information on it?
  • Options
    at least that is what my wifey told me......

So naturally I queried where did you see one with 6 doors?

so she gave me a count of doors as follows:

4 regular side doors
    1 rear hatch
    1 moon roof
    ======================
    6 doors
    ======================

:)
    I couldn't say anymore.
  • Options
    I got mine done by Sym-Tech. On the contract it lists "Lifetime new vehicle" and "Underbody protection". It was about $575 if I rememeber correctly.

They gave me a coupon book. I have to bring the car in once/yr so they can inspect it and fix any problems rite away. I will have to go at the end of this month. I haven't noticed any rust on it, although it has a few chips on the hood and lower front bumper (from following too closely those left lane campers).

Dinu
  • Options
    Well the way this is going, it might come to this in a few years. The manufacturers are listing the hatch door on many cars as 5 drf cars and coupes as 3 dr cars. Hello? Unless you're "Fido", who enters a car from the hatch?

Dinu
  • Options
    40.000kms yesterday that is :)

All is running great. I noticed it is now reving a little higher and easier, so highway trips are much more pleasant now. Not that they weren't before, but I like it better this way. Still no rattles, malfunctions: besides the CD player after I took delivery of it 1 yr ago and the spoiler's LED that was replaced, no warranty work performed on it. ZOOM-ZOOM!

Now get this. I went out with this girl a few days ago and she saw the PRO.

1st comment: "Wow! Nice car."
    2nd comment (once inside): "Cool. I like the dash." It was nite and that Mazda "Road Crew Orange" was shining (ok slightly blinding - j/k) from the dash.
    3rd comment: "It's roomy." Smiling: "It has a big back seat."

ZOOM-ZOOM-ZOOM :)

Cheers!
    Dinu
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I read the article the other day in the book store, and found it pretty interesting. I thought it to be weird that the car has so much torque steer, because it has the LSD. I don't know alot about what the LSD is suppose to do, but I thought counteracting against torque steer was one of the things? The car is really nice though, save that "pumpin cickle" paint job. :)
  • Options
    I hate to mention my car here, but it's in response to the different tires thing.

I sliced one of my tires on a curb, rubbing it, a couple weeks ago. I had the full-size spare on for about 1000 miles, until I went on my trip to NC for the 4th. I got a tire there for a pretty low price (compared to here anyway), and put it on. It's a brand called "Marshall Power Racer" (don't ask me, never heard of it). The tire is the same size as the other 3 (which are Michelin Pilot Sports), but it's Z-rated instead of H-rated.

And although the new tire is the same size (save the Z rating), it "looks" bigger to me for some reason. Anyway, to look at my 2 back tires, it looks like the left one has less tread than the right one does. I bought this up to the service people when I took the car in last time. They told me because of the one "odd" tire on the right side of the car, it is probably making the rear tire on the right side of the car wear quicker. I don't buy it though.

Anyone else agree that the service dept. is trying to make me spend $255 for one of their tires?
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Sounds like snake-oil stuff to me, but I would like to see some literature or references if available. Thanks.
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    If you are considering buy one or the other, you should definitely read this explicit cautionary by "Car Talk" regarding the Focus:

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2002/July/05.html

• Options
    browntroutbrowntrout Member Posts: 24
    I just got new tires on my 2000 Protege. I crammed 205/55/15 Toyo T1-S Proxes on the stock wheels. I haven't really had the chance to really push them but so far, they rock! I didn't find the stock Potenzas squeeled excessively but the Toyo's don't squeal at all. Very, very grippy. I'll let you know how they are doing in 2-3000KM when I really get to test them. These tires also have really thick tread blocks so you would think they were loud...they are much more quiet than the Potenzas.

I paid 179CDN + tax each. Expensive, yes, but so far worth every penny. These are summer tires only as well, so for people that get snow, you gotta get winter tires too.
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I think the only bad situation is one different tire. Especially if there are some miles on the others. Wouldn't that put one corner of your car higher than the others? Seems like it would to me.

I've had 2 different tires front and rear. And actually have it like that on my 2nd car now. Because of how I do it, I usually need 2 new rear tires, so I move the fronts to the back and put new tires on the drive wheels. I'm sure there is a good reason not to do it, but it's worked well for me a few times.

Paul, I thought Michelin was paying for half your new tire? So why did you buy some other brand?
  • Options
    The reason I got the off-brand tire was because I was out of state and wanted to save money on the tire. I ended up spending less for the tire than I would have for the Michelin even after the discount. I didn't even wanna replace the tire then and there, but my dad was throwing a fit about riding long distances on the spare tire (even though it was a full-size). So instead of listening to him complain about it, I replaced the tire there.

I am going to send in the paper when I get new tires to Michelin and see if they will still honor what they said. I am going to need another new tire soon anyway on the back if this balding thing keeps happening, so I will do it then.

This was something the operator said, so I don't know if she will still honor it or not. After all this time, she probably will not anyway. We will see though.
  • Options
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    well I might as well show off YET ANOTHER upgrade I did to my Protege over the weekend.

BEST suspension upgrade done to my car so far :)

• Options
    I had some type of Marshall performance tires on my Civic and they were great (on dry roads - kinda reminds me of...well you know).

As far as mixing tires, I prefer to go w/4 of the same kind on a new car, unless it's an old beater where a 2+2 combo is fine (but probably not recomended).

Dinu

Q: Where is everyone?
  • Options
    Well you can't leave us hanging like that! How does the part change the handling/ride of the car?
  • Options
    Can someone tell us exactly what is shown in the picture?

(trying to liven up the conversation here :) )
  • Options
    Is that the vaunted "Vocus Stick" you have now installed underneath your car? That is my best guess..... Does it actually improve the handling or just make the car sound whiny??? Ha, ha, ha. :)
  • Options
    that's an excellent answer tim!

unfortunately it's NOT the infamous 'Vocus Stick', any other guesses/wisecracks?

no it doesn't whine, and yes it improved the handling of my Protege, A LOT.
  • Options
    are manufactured by Kumho, Korea.
    just so that everyone knows.
    I have them on my Ford Taurus and they grip great, low noise and darn cheap....$20 apiece.
    have them for 15,000 miles and also did a cross country 2300 miles on them.
  • Options
    Mazda "as good as" BMW? How 'bout "better?"

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020805/lam094_1.html

Meade