Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I had actually forgotten about the mesh in there. The cutouts were still in the bumper though, and look empty when nothing is there, IMO. The 2001s are not that way though. They just have the mesh there, and it looks more uniform to me.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    OK. I was assuming that OEM wipers for a European car would cost you at least $30 a pair from the dealer.

My bad.

Todd: No, they're VW Special Wipers. VW makes them themselves. No one can hold a candle to them.

Just pray they're installed with metal clips instead of plastic clips.

Meade
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    and the rear simply do not match. Totally different styles.
  • Options
    MD
  • Options
    Miracles never cease!

A transcript of our chat will be available tomorrow in his lawyer's office.

;-)

Meade
  • Options
    protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    I too like the front end better on my '99 ES, but...

Why do they have a grill where the fog lights are mounted, yet the main opening has nothing, allowing you to see the radiator. I imagine it has something to do with air flow, but a simple mesh like they have now would make it look a little sharper IMO.

That said, still lovin' my Pro which now has 37K on it after the trip to PA. My 14 year old is now looking forward to inheriting it when he gets his license. Not for the looks or performance of course. He wants it 'cause it will be free! Which means of course that I will HAVE to get a new 5 door Mazda 6. From what I have read so far, I think I can live with the 4 cyl. and manual.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    on the 99-00 Protege, you can simply put one in yourself! Get a piece of wire mesh, paint it black if you want (or keep it nice and shiny :D ), fit it behind the bumper, and secure it with some wireties, bam! nice and (somewhat) easy!
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    look crummy.
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    i like the '99-'00 frint better, except for the amber turn signal covers which I have replaced w/clears. This makes the front look simpler, smoother, and wider. Now I need some foglights from the minivan to fill those black grilled holes.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    If you put them in the right places.

Make sure the mesh you choose won't rust away, unless you like that look. :)
  • Options
    Where does one go to get wire mesh that would look attractive in this application?
  • Options
    that were originally designed for covering up gutters.

you should be able to find them in your local hardware stores.

I think spray painting it would make it last longer :)
  • Options
    It looks a little funny mounted on the front of the car, and it DOES obstruct my view a little, but hey -- I can change from storm window to screen with only a tug on two levers! And using some duct tape, it was a perfect fit!

To be quite honest, I'd use some black plastic screen -- you can get it at Home Depot -- and trim it to size. Then you don't have to worry about black paint chipping off of a wire screen, and after enough bugs, stones and other things have ruined it, you can just cut off another one from the template you (hopefully) made when you did the first one. I would try to fashion a frame of some sort on mine -- I would think wire ties wouldn't be enough to hold it flat and it wouldn't look too good. And maybe you could run a full-length circle of Velcro around the frame and put the "receiving" side of the Velcro tape behind the bumper. You can buy Velcro at Home Depot too, by the way.

Just some thoughts. I always do get a little irritated when I'm waxing my bumper, and I look in that front hole and see all the dead bugs, leaves, and pieces of children and old ladies I've mowed down in my morning road rage.

Meade
  • Options
    I personally like the look of brushed, perforated stainless steel. Then again, with the rest of the grillework being "blacked out", the bright metal would look out of place. :)
  • Options
    Meade, I think we now all know where that putrid odor you keep smelling is coming from! I guess all of us 99-00 owners should probably clean the road kill from the open mouth of our Proteges more often!
  • Options
    theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361

Since I took that picture, I've done the lower center opening also. You have to remove the bumper cover to get to the lower openings. Not too hard, just clips on the inside of the fender liner, underneath the car, under the amber corner lenses, and under the hood.

• Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Hardy har-har about the transcript. I knew you were gonna bring that up when you said it in chat. :)
  • Options
    Did you use the same materials as the the area under the chrome? BTW, I like those wheels!
  • Options
    Yep, I use the same "Gutter guard" material. I have a short little installation guide over at ProtegeClub.com if you'd like to do it yourself. Not too hard to do.

http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8415

• Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Theparallax, where did you find them? I've been looking all over for that style, do they make them in 15" and four-lugs?

Sorry Meade, when I looked at the '00 Proteges I felt it was a nice little car but it could be better. In 2001, Mazda made the changes the '00 lacked: The crease in the hood, chrome inside door handles, better seats, nicer trim on doors and dash, and better wheelcovers. Wish I had waited 30 days and gotten the alloys and body-colored mirrors, though. Oh yeah, I also prefer the large M in the center of the grill. The changes took the Pro out of the econobox segment, IMHO.

I keep looking at the Mazda6 and thinking that by the 3rd gen Mazda will probably have that one right. The one thing I do NOT like on the Mazda6 -- those ugly taillights. Looks like many cars will get the STO treatment in the back, you do remember STO? They go beautifully with those chrome-plated garbage can lids I see on some car wheels.

Theparallax, you should send that photo to Mazda! The grill material is super! Very up-market! Look at all the cars that have two plastic bars with a big logo badge glued on them.

We seem to have two schools of thought here: One prefers an up-scale sports sedan look; the other a stripped down hot rod look. To each his own.

On the way home from dinner tonight I was thinking about how many cars are on the market, and yet, how few, if any, are what people seem to consider their ideal. That's why mod shops stay busy and why THAT is the business to be in.

It's like buying a suit and taking it to a tayler to have it fitted exactly for you. If I could afford it, my next car would have its seats ripped out and replaced first thing. Why? Because all seats are too hard. Motor Trend mentioned a custom trim shop that luxury car buyers take their cars to for that, especially Mercedes and BMW buyers.

With all the engineering and money that goes into sport/touring suspensions; auto/manual transmissions; do everything nav systems; it seems to me somebody could design an adjustable firm/soft seat!

The Pro's seats are very comfortable. Every new car I sit in that's the first thing I compare. Haven't found any car at any price I would trade for, really!. No matter how luxurious, how sporty, if you aren't comfortable, forget it.

fowler3
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I don't think North American 6s will have those clear/chrome tailights. The 6 that I saw at the Minneapolis auto show didn't have them.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments on the wheels. I don't think they make them in 15", but they are in fact 4-lug. Here's where I got them:

http://store.yahoo.com/speedandstyle/wheelspecials.html

They are called Arospeed RS-11 wheels. They dropped the price another $100 so now it's $699 including tires and lug nuts. Not too shabby. Reminds me of Audi wheels...very nice looking.

I don't know about the grille being very "upmarket". In fact, it only cost me some $6 and change for the material! It does make the car look nicer (to me) though.

• Options
    I don't know about the grille being very "upmarket". In fact, it only cost me some $6 and change for the material! It does make the car look nicer (to me) though.

Yep, very nice and clean looking. Thanks for the URL!

fowler3
  • Options
    alloy wheel companies are going to scrap all those out-dated designs and offer wheels that look as good as those on the new cars?

fowler3
  • Options
    ... on a light-colored car like the one in the picture. I don't think I'd like that silver, though, on the front of my Emerald Mica (darned close to black) 2000 ES. I think the black would do better there.

BTW, why did you replace the stock grille instead of just painting it? And was the stock grille hard to remove? I thought the little horizontal chrome strip above it was actually part of it. I guess not?

Meade
  • Options
    (Please forgive me, Wil ... I know you're the organizer this time, but I would hope I'm still "Organizer Emeritus" since I started the MAPP series.)

I am proud to steal Wil's thunder and announce that so far, we have 16 confirmed attendees (and 16 Proteges) coming to MAPP IV on September 28! If you haven't signed up yet, please do at the following address, which also contains all the info, pics from the three previous MAPPs, location maps and directions you'll need (thanks to Wil):

http://www.protegenetwork.org/chapters/DC/mapp4.htm

Oh, and I, of course, will be there! How can you let yourself miss meeting the Meadeball? Will you be able to live with yourself after missing a golden opportunity like this? Sign up!

Meade

• Options
    wil's not the only one working on mapp4, don't give him ALL the credits!!!! I got everything rolling by setting the date and reserving the frigging shelter you know >:O

oh, instead of pot luck, we're gonna just go ahead and buy all the stuff, and ask for a few bucks to cover the cost. You know young people can't cook ANYTHING for squat ;)
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Hey, did your insurance go up on your Protege this year? I seem to remember we had a discussion a while back about NC insurance rates. Anyway, Erie tells me that the state of NC reclassified the Protege. My rates went up about $110 per year.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Meade! Don't just steal Wil's thunder...steal Hank's as well! 2 birds w/ 1 stone!!

BTW, I think I'll pass on your golden oppotunity for reasons Vocus has stated not so subtlely! :O
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    What major food group is squat?

I got some good news for all the Mazda Protégé owners. I just purchased a new killer product at AutoZone. It's called TurboNator Plus. This turbo enhancer "in a can" is added to my oil and will improve my engines horsepower by over 20 hp! It only cost me $29.99 and is safe to use in non-turbo engines. TurboNator Plus comes with a really cool decal to put on my car. I wonder, if I add to two quarts can I improve my performance by 40 hp? What do you folks think $29.99 = an added 20 hp?

-Love train
  • Options
    I've been discussing the big food purchase with Wil for a couple days now. Way ahead of ya bud.

Getting the shelter reserved required a 5-minute phone call and a credit card. Whooppee!!! And I even suggested the park to you ... ;-)

Turns out that even though I'm not "organizing" it this time, I'm still (without asking for any credit nor believing I'm due any) bringing the Mazda Motorsports banner and parking lot flags, Edmunds T-shirts (getting a lot of mileage out of those, thank you you-know-who), a "regional favorite food" as suggested, several hundred plastic cups and napkins, cooking utensils and a few other things.

I e-mailed Wil yesterday and told them that whoever buys all the meats should really go to Costco or one of their competitors. You'll pay too much (and make everyone else contribute too much) if you get the burgers and stuff from your local grocery store. (I know; I've done this three times now.) If neither of you has a membership, let me get the meats and we can roll it all together when we get there. Then I can collect my portion of the contributions.

And consider changing the way people contribute (or try to get away without contributing) this year. Have them pay BEFORE they get their lunch -- and no bucks, no lunch. I always seem to spend a couple hundred bucks for food, charcoal, shelter rental, etc., and only come home with about half of what I spent. Make 'em pay, buddy --- MAKE 'EM PAY!!!

I do appreciate you guys, and any Junior Organizers I failed to mention, setting it up this time. I thank you, and my credit card and checkbook thank you. It takes a lot of burden off of me and I think I may be able to enjoy this one more. One last suggestion ... appoint a cook -- NOW ... and I ain't volunteering! And I think you know why!!!

Meade
  • Options
    EVERYONE appreciates your efforts in MAPP I,II,III, and now IV. It is a given. After all, YOU are the guy that started this whole MAPP shinanigan in the first place ;)

a phone call and a credit card is still a lot of work!!!!

(edit: dang it meade, you keep changing your post!! :-D)

I have access to CostCo, and I believe Wil has Sam's Club access, so that's where we'll buy all the bulk items.

and yeah, I think asking people to pay before eating is a good idea, which is what we'll do.

as for the cook? I can do it, but I'm not so sure if any of the other people showing up would even bother helping out :(
  • Options
    I just don't want to be left as the sole burger and hot-dog flipper while everyone else goes out and has fun with their cars, as usually happens.

I know you appreciate what I did. My point, though, was that I never asked for any credit. The events wouldn't be anything without all you people and your cars to make it enjoyable. I was just the guy who found a place we could hold it, and provide some food because ... well, dammit, I ENJOY FOOD!!! ;-) And besides, it wasn't any more difficult, really, than reserving a camp site at a state park and going out and buying supplies -- which my wife and I do fairly often because we enjoy it, and I enjoy being an outdoor chef. I think your and Wil's plan of having one person buy all the stuff and splitting the cost among us is a great idea. That really simplifies things. You guys may want to check out the sign-up sheet for MAPP III, which I saved in the Database section you-know-where, to get a few ideas on stuff you may overlook.

BTW, you pointing out how frequently I edit my posts calls attention to how much you check this discussion for updates. I'm sitting here at my desk at work, taking time away from what I'm paid to do (and believe me, it AIN'T THIS) to post these insane (or inane?) posts. And when I get the chance to post, sometimes I'll answer several in a row -- especially when I get here at 7 a.m. and have a little time -- and sometimes (OK, MOST of the time) I think of things I forgot to add or could rephrase. You shoulda seen the first draft of my last post -- you would've hated me forever!!!

Meade
  • Options
    Part 1

588 of 768 Yes! "MazdaTown." by mdaffron Aug 18, 2000 (02:22 pm)
    That was the word I was trying to remember. Yeah, I think even if it's a fairly small get-together, they might see it as the start of something bigger that maybe THEY could sponsor later, making it big to-do. Should we start think of a name for our group? I suggest "Capital Area Protégé Enthusiasts." Err, "CAPE."

#589 of 768 MD... by vocus Aug 18, 2000 (02:32 pm)
    Come on, you are in PR. You can come up with a fancier name than that. :) Just kidding, that one is pretty good. But do like they do in DC and add "Association" to the end to make it sound fancy. That would make us CAPEA, or the Capital Area Protégé Enthusiasts Association. How is that?

#590 of 768 Yuck. I hate those terms. by mdaffron Aug 18, 2000 (02:35 pm)
    OK, wise guy. How 'bout, Capital Area Mazda Protégé
    Society Having Owners Really Talking Sportiness?That's "C.A.M.P. S.H.O.R.T.S."

#603 of 768 Calling mdaffron and vocus....... by protegextwo Aug 18, 2000 (06:00 pm) Meade and Paul, I was serious about an owner’s picnic, and it seems you two are interested. What’s 2 or 3 hours drive time? If we leave at about 7:00am, we could meet at 11:00 am and have some fun and cook out on the grill. If we wrap up at 5:00 or so, we can get home buy 7:00 or 8:00. It would be a real nice day, Great food, new friends and some good stories! I am sure you guys have some awesome ideas for fun at the picnic! Come on all the Protégé or (soon to be) Protégé owners interested in a picnic, in the Maryland/DC area, tell us of your interest!

Larry #605 of 768
    Hey! Someone finally called me my NAME!!! by mdaffron Aug 18, 2000 (06:05 pm) Congrats Larry, you've figured out my real name! OK, I'll start using it now. Larry, I'm really interested. (Don't know if my wife will be, but she could probably use a vacation from me for a day anyway.) Of course, it'd probably have to be a Saturday or a Sunday -- and I'd prefer Saturday. We could find a park or something -- I don't know about Maryland, but in Virginia, you can reserve state park shelters for group activities -- and they have grills at shelters. There are a few good state parks in extreme Northern Virginia, if you want me to look into it -- or, check with the Maryland State Park system, Vocus ...
    Meade

#606 of 768 mdaffron......... by protegextwo Aug 18, 2000 (06:31 pm)
    Meade, that would be great, I am fine with Northern Virginia or Maryland. It would be a lot more fun, if we can get at least 5 or more of are Edmunds friends/PRO owners together at one time. Come on, all that have an interest in the "1st Annual Mazda PRO Picnic" or what ever we name it, post your ideas in the next couple of days.
    respectfully,
    Larry
  • Options
    Lookee, everyone. Another do-nothing Bozo asking for credit.

Add this post to your list, Larry:

Aug. 21, 2002:
    "OK Larry, we'll call it Larry's Appreciably Portly Picnic. LAPP."

Oh well, you still didn't answer whether you're coming to LAPP IV. And my day is over -- meetings out of the office the rest of the day. If you care to answer me, Credit Man, look up my cell phone number on Wil's MAPP IV signup sheet (there's a link to it in our OTHER site's Links section) and call me on my cell phone.

Meade

P.S. You may have come up with the name ... but I came up with the whole idea. And hosted it. So there.
  • Options
    #733 of 768 Picnic... Protégé owners or friends by protegextwo Aug 24, 2000 (04:55 pm)
    Here is what we got:
    vocus Paul, Perhaps his roommate?
    Protegextwo Larry, My wife and son.
    Mdaffron Meade, You better bring your
    family and the friend
    with the new Protégé!
    Jb48 Jamison, Family or friend?
    My plea, this an OPEN invitation to ANY Protégé owners. You do not have to post here, but if you check out this topic and would like to be a part of a fun afternoon in the Mid-Atlantic area, let us know!
    Comments or proposals, please.
    Respectfully,
    Larry

#736 of 768 I can't wait to get there and let you all find out ... by mdaffron Aug 24, 2000 (05:01 pm)
    ... that I'm really a homicidal ax murderer who likes to collect medieval weapons ...Hmmm hmmm ha ha haaaaaa .......

Meade
  • Options
    #10 of 596 Attention mid-Atlantic Protegents (and ladies) ... by mdaffron Aug 25, 2000 (01:22 pm)
    (Sorry 'bout that little play on words ...)

OK, I just had a little e-mail chat with our buddy Paul (er, "Vocus"). It's time to poop or get off the pot with this picnic idea. It would be nice if we could work out a date that fits everyone's schedule. But someone's got to make a first move. So here it is ... my recommendation:

The date: Saturday, September 9 (after Labor Day)
    The location: A park in Northern Virginia
    The idea: Everyone brings something to eat and more (for instance, I have a portable propane gas grill we could use to cook burgers and hot dogs). And of course, we bring our Proteges.

I have a digital camera I can bring to take pics, and we can post them here or on someone's web site. Hosting offers, anyone?

How wild it will be to actually be able for ALL OF US -- even those of us who don't attend -- to put faces with the posts? Hmmm ... maybe that ISN'T such a good thing!!! :)

We'll let Mazda North America know about it, just for good measure. So ... First ZOOM ZOOM PARTY September 9.

Your opinions, please!

Meade
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    First off: Keep Up!

2nd off: Just because you are confused does't mean the rest of the population with a decent IQ is confused.

3rd off: Put up your windows.
  • Options
    haven't seen you post on this particular board lately, now quit hanging out at teacher's lounge and get back to class!
  • Options
    ...and you pick on her. Shame shame!

Anyhow, it is interesting how you're all more interested in credit for the original idea than in the actual event now. Who cares so long as Protege fans can get together and have fun? Consider yourself an inspiration to the others in this group. :)
  • Options
    Didn't seem fair to me.

Of course, now I've made myself a target. :)
  • Options
    What a shame to be locked up in my cubicle! We get so few days like this in the Miami Valley.

I've got a full tank of gas and want to shamelessly expend it on frivolous driving with my windows rolled down and the stereo turned up a few notches. Zoom zoom. :)
  • Options
    Why is it I always seem to have a conflict when a Protege Picnic rolls around? Anyways, have fun, and pay up. :)
  • Options
    Make him a "stick in the mud"?

It may take you a sec to get that one....
  • Options
    fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    Fasterthanu, embattled from the onslaught of Zoomniacs in the Accord vs. 6 forum, sneaks into the Protege forum ...

Hey you punks. The Protege looks like a punk little car for Mitsubishi wannabes!!

You want Zoom Zoom? This is REAL Zoom Zoom!

See the H on the wheels? That stands for HONDA.

:-)

Back to fighting Honda-bashers ...
  • Options
    What? Nice NSX though.
    But again...wha?
  • Options
    fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    Just playing. maltb will explain when he gets here.
  • Options
    The non-Evo lancer seems disappointing to me. I read about it in MotorTrend...didn't seem to get a good review. 120 hp too :O

Now the Evo-VII.....GIMME!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I'd love to have an NSX as I'm sure you would too.

Of course, I would never go into a civic forum and post unless I wanted to talk about Civics. I have no problem with you or your zeal for cars with an H on the hood, but you clearly have a problem with me liking the Mazda6 despite the fact that I have not put down any H car with the exception of personal jokes with Ody owners.
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Has anyone seen a list of MazdaSpeed dealers ready to sell the upcoming MS Protege?