Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Thanks for warning me about the insurance. I didn't know NC did the classifying. Right now it's still the same at $700 a year. Seems high to me as little as I drive. Guess I remember too well when auto insurance was $133 a year, that was in ancient times.

What did they reclassify the Protege as, a piece of crap?

Did you read Edmunds' shoot out of the crossover SUVs? One thing hit me -- "world-class"! What does that really mean -- a car people in Afganistan, Bangladesh, and Nepal drive? After reading the Nissan Altima board I think it's from those countries.

fowler3
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    The Protege was reclassified from Symbol G to Symbol J. IOW it has gone from economy sedan to premium economy sedan. Apparently, we get to pay a premium (pun intended) to insure our Proteges. I am now paying $600+ per year for the Protege. On top of that they cut my multi-car/multipolicy discount in half. My agent tried to make me feel better by telling me that the NC state recommended rate was around $2100/yr. so I was getting a great deal. I shopped around just to see, and Erie is still the cheapest in my area, so I will be sticking with them for now.
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Jim, thats what? 2 days in a row. You're going to spoil us!
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I own a pair of 2000 Mazda Protegé ES's. They cost me OTD $15,375 (loaded with everything) and have been driven 42,000 miles over the last 31 months. Mazda hit a homer with this generation Protegé! The Protegé is well screwed together and FUN to drive. Class leading passenger room and IMHO the segment leader in styling (especially in the ES version). So, the current generation Mazda Protegé is a fun, roomy, handsome and reliable 4 door sedan priced for a great value. BTW, "I wanna be a COWBOY baby".....

-larry
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    Anyways, I'll continue the nagging started by Wordman.

are you coming to MAPPIV?

:-D
  • Options
    *** "Anyways, I'll continue the nagging started by Wordman. Are you coming to MAPPIV?
    by the_big_h"

*** That discussion thread is not strictly on topic, sir. It would be prolly be better to include some more info about your Mazda Protegé in your posts and than ask "Are you coming to MAPP IV?" as an aside, after thought kinda thing.

However, to stay on topic what do think about your Mazda Protege? I like mine and to stay on topic, I have re-posted my earlier evail. of this great little 4 door sedan.

I own a pair of 2000 Mazda Protegé ES's. They cost me OTD $15,375 (loaded with everything) and have been driven 42,000 miles over the last 31 months. Mazda hit a homer with this generation Protegé! The Protegé is well screwed together and FUN to drive. Class leading passenger room and IMHO the segment leader in styling (especially in the ES version). So, the current generation Mazda Protegé is a fun, roomy, handsome and reliable 4 door sedan priced for a great value.

BTW, "I wanna be a COWBOY baby".....and I would like to come to the picnic/meet if I can get off work? If you are interested, I will sell you the rights to the name MAPP "Mid-Atlantic Protege Picnic" for a free entrance fee to your present, shall we say "get together"? Otherwise, I will remind you the term MAPP is owned and copy-written by the Lovetrain Foundation.

-larry
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Hi Larry,

Did you SERIOUSLY put that TurboLiquid in your oil? I mean it doesn't sound normal to me: an extra 20 ponnies for $30? If you did, did you see any difference?

I'm just curious. After all, I thought adding a few pounds of stickers, a park bench on your trunk, lowering your car so it scrapes the asphalt and putting your automatic car in N so it slides down on a hill to make it look like a 5 spd, were things I should focus on to really improve my PRO's performance.

Dinu
  • Options
    to give you HID-like lighting, and exhaust bearings for that extra 10HP!!! :D

woot! 21+ cars signed up for MAPP IV already!
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I love my Protege.

There.

Are you coming to MAPP IV?

Meade

P.S.: I'm kinda glad I haven't been around for 24 hours. Nice to see you can all get a detention without my assistance.

Now answer my question, Love Train. Or I'll post your phone number here. If you've got enough money to call my work phone long-distance yesterday, you can have the courtesy to answer my question, Love Bunny.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    For those wishing to discuss an upcoming Protege Owners event and/or plans, I've created just such a discussion on the Mazda Protege Owners board. You can share with those who were unable to attend the fun time they missed and also post any incriminating photos of the event. ;-)

KarenS

Host

Owners Clubs

• Options
    someone took this somewhere in Michigan:

• Options
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I wish! :D
  • Options
    Please tell me you were talking about those Halloween-coloured beauties.

Dinu
  • Options
    Like I said, I think the orange is "growing" on me. I kinda like it, truth be told.

Anyway, IF I really hated the colour I'd get a re-paint.
  • Options
    Good to see you back Dinu!!
  • Options
    Does the dumpster in the foreground have anything to do with the reason for the photo?

;-)

Meade
  • Options
    i don't know, maybe? ;-)

the original poster of the picture said it was taken in Flint, MI....
  • Options
    I figured out we needed some more Canadian "content" on this board :)

That, plus I can't resist having a go with the Honda boys in the Accord vs Mazda 6 board.

BTW, are things ok at TELUS where you work? I heard some not so great news about TELUS in AB and BC. Here in Toronto at Mobility we're ok.

Dinu
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Not having seen it in person I can't know for sure, but I really like the color. Heck I'd repaint my P5 that color if I had the money.

But since I was once admonished for even considering repainting my car, that's all I'll say on that subject.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    the original poster of the picture said it was taken in Flint, MI

Nope, Woodhaven, MI. It's across the road from the 626 plant in Flat Rock, a ways away from Flint.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I saw the orange on the Mazdaspeed Protege at the NYIAS when I went back in April. The color isn't really too bad, but I hated the interior accents of the exterior color. It just didn't look right.
  • Options
    townhall9townhall9 Member Posts: 78
    Two carrots (read Protege haters) walking down the sidewalk. One steps off the curb, and is run over by a speeding car. The uninjured one rides with his friend, in the ambulance, to the hospital. After a long wait, the Doctor comes out & says: I've got good news, and bad news. The good news is your friend is going to live. The bad news is he'll be a vegetable for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    "Did you SERIOUSLY put that Turbo Liquid in your oil?"
    By dinu01

Dinu, yes I have been using some new killer products, purchased from AutoZone. One of them is called " Westby's TurboNator Plus". This turbo enhancer "in a can" was added to my oil and has improved my Mazda Protégé engines horsepower, big time. Results? Results you ask, lets put it this way.... YEAAA BABY!

BTW, I also paid $16.99 and purchased some "Vestal's Gas Wetter", that stuff is truly Da Bomb! Gas Wetter makes the gasoline wetter so more fuel is delivered to the combustion chamber. My Protégé has much more torque kick at throttle tip-in and BEST of all, the exhaust note reminds me of the sound of mortar fire during the Tet Offensive back in Nam. Hey Dinu, I hope they have AutoZone's up there in Canada. If they don't just e-mail Maltb, he turned me onto Gas Wetter and TurboNator Plus, I'm sure he will tell you, were you can purchase these fine products north of our border. He always is willing to tell me, where to go.

-Love train
  • Options
    Uh...what?
    Dang...I've been saying that a lot lately.

How can something you put in the gas make more fuel being delivered at the combustion chamber.
    If you're joking, I missed it.

Dinu, my company is safe...for now :D
  • Options
    townhall9townhall9 Member Posts: 78
    Please tell me you're just kidding. A gas or oil additive to boost power (except to, maybe, clean clogged fuel injectors)? Don't waste your money.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    checked out www.autozone.com

Search Results

Search Term: TurboNator Plus
    Searched: Entire Catalog

Sorry, there are no exact matches for your search term.
  • Options
    Can't give you links at the moment...still undergoing top secret tests.
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I haven't used that stuff, but I have been using this stuff called SuperFlo. Its a teflon gas additive that coats your injectors so the gas flows more smoothly. Not only does more gas get into the combustion chamber, but the spray pattern is improved with less turbulence. It especially helps top end power (high rpms) where fuel delivery needs to be fast and efficient. Works great!
  • Options
    I thought in order for teflon to bond properly, the temp had to be like around 700 F.

That's the reason that I've read it's useless for car wax.

Then again, my gf was trying to explain something about it to me...said something about them using the right...um, stuff, then it might work.(chemisty whiz..she is...not me obviously)
  • Options
    The advantage to gas wetter is that it moves out the tailpipe faster too. It creates a super slippery exhaust that slides right through the pipe and cat like it's nothing. The effect is like having a 3" pipe with dual Flowmasters.
  • Options
    So let me get this straight. You put this stuff into your gas tank right?

Teflon is a solid...it maybe very small, but it is a solid nonetheless.

Some of it will go thru the injector head.

What happens after that? Will it clog things up? Will it damage anything in the long run?
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Did you guys used to sell elevator passes to the freshmen in high school?
  • Options
    it slips through and coats everything like Pepto Bismal. Once that happens it all flows free.
  • Options
    I see....so why doesn't "Slick 50" and the like work?
  • Options
    I was about to offer him a good deal on some property I have in FL.
  • Options
    I don't need elevator passes to climb up the stairs? darn!!!!

man I'm gonna need to find out which of my local dealers are going to be Mazdaspeed franchise, I want to take that car for a spin!
  • Options
    anu0anu0 Member Posts: 13
    Did anyone who bought a Protege recently pay Edmund's TMV or better and get 0% financing for 60 months? I've heard that one may have to pay full sticker to get 0%.
  • Options
    Paying MSRP at 0% would be close to if not better to what you could TMV+interest, no?

Too much math for me.

Anyway, I don't think there's any stipulation anywhere that says that if you get 0% you HAVE to pay MSRP. The dealer may tell you that, but I don't think MNA does...explicitly at least.
  • Options
    Why don't we get these types of 0% deals in Canada for Mazda? Ok, economies of scale dictate what will happen.
  • Options
    Okay, keep that discussion up guys (and Dale). I'm really curious to find out what these products really do.
  • Options
    I know...we get the shaft up here in terms of financing. 0% would have been so nice!!!
  • Options
    jeffy729jeffy729 Member Posts: 45
    Hi folks. You definitely don't have to pay MSRP to get the 0% financing. I bought a 2002 LX two weeks ago through CarsDirect.com. The price was $15,263 (MSRP is 16,575). I got the 0% 60 month financing through Mazda Credit and there are no payments until January (plus they only require 10% down). It's going on until September 2nd.
  • Options
    Wil has 24 people confirmed to drive their Proteges, in all generations and trim levels, to MAPP IV on Saturday, September 28 in Northern Virginia! Here's the tally so far:

Proteges: 12
    Protege5s: 6
    MP3s: 5
    Sport20s: 1

And we also have a new record for distance! One attendee will be driving his '93 LX 1,072 miles from ROCHESTER, MINNESOTA!!!

We'll have to come up with a special award for this attendee! Give that man an extra burger!!!

;-)

Join up if you haven't already!

Meade
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Wow. That man does deserve an extra burger, maybe TWO extra burgers. I drove to Chicago from Minneapolis last Saturday and drove back on Sunday and I thought that trip was too much. This MAPP thing is turning out to be the Sturgis for Proteges.
  • Options
    0% financing from the manufacturer, factory rebates, etc., are all between you and the manufacturer (though there is such a thing as dealer rebates, incentives, etc., that are from/for the dealer). As such, the deal you strike on the price of the car with the dealer should be negotiated independently from them with applicable rebates taken out afterwards.

For example, when I bought my Pro in March, I purchased it for about $100 over invoice (better than TMV) before rebates for a final price around $1,900 under invoice after rebates.

That having been said, dealers will of course try to use such incentives to add profit back into the car for themselves. If buyers allow this, then I suppose it does affect true market value.
  • Options
    If your interested in this stuff, let me know. You can't get it in stores yet, but you can buy it from the factory through me. I might be able to work out a group/bulk rate. Same goes for a really good quality gas wetter. :-)
  • Options
    I MUST BE 1ST!!!

Send me three cases and throw in the Ginsu knives and Ronco Food Dehydrator too!
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    I did use the teflon additives and added it to my gas tank in my 2 stroke bike.
    u should have seen it go....fly is a better word.
    acceleration times were reduced to half.

but wait!
    after 4 weeks, the exhaust ports clogged up so bad that I ahd to tear my engine apart to clean it up!!
  • Options
    I feel like I'm in Bizarro World. I can't tell fact from fiction anymore!!